Reviews

22,474 Reviews
It made by daughter laugh....as well it should.
17 November 2018
This story is about three idiot criminals who kidnap an adorable baby. However, the baby turns out to be smarter than them and again and again, it manages to not only get the upper hand but horribly hurt them in the process.

"Baby's Day Out" was a HUGE money-loser...and it's sad, as it was a clever and funny film. In so many ways, it was like "Home Alone" but with a baby instead of McCauley Culkin...combined with huge amounts of Sweetpea from Popeye cartoons. I only saw the movie because the studio was giving out free passes...desperately hoping the film would gain traction, which it didn't.

When we went to this free showing, we took my daughter...who wasn't quite 4. And, I was so glad we did because she spent much of the film laughing so loudly everyone around us laughed....it was the perfect film for small kids. But I also had a great time because although the movie was about a tiny baby evading some idiot criminals, it also managed to be very funny and well constructed. Overall, a terribly underrated film that manages to entertain everyone in the family.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There are already over 2000 reviews for this....
11 November 2018
Because more than 2000 folks have already reviewed this film on IMDB, I'll keep my review very brief. After all...what's one more review among so many?!

The movie was a bit of a shock when I found it, as somehow I really didn't hear much about it and I wasn't even sure if it had yet debuted. Much of this is because after so many "Star Wars" films, I find that a sort of fatigue has set in...much like how I feel about all the super hero films. But, as I was on a 13+ hour flight, I wasn't in a position to be picky and decided to watch the movie.

I was surprised to read that the movie is only rated 7.0 (meaning it must have ticked off a lot of fans) and really made almost nothing at the box office. Much of this is because I actually enjoyed the picture...and more than I'd expected. The story about the young Han Solo is exciting throughout and I also appreciated its dark tone and willingness to kill off characters (much like the previous installment)...but perhaps this is why fans were not so impressed by this one. All I know is that I liked seeing a darker film and it kept my interest throughout.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
La La Land (I) (2016)
A nice experiment...though I wasn't exactly captivated by it.
11 November 2018
"La La Land" made quite a splash after it debuted. It's now on IMDB's Top 250 and received 6 Oscars! But, with all that publicity, it might just leave you feeling like me...that's it is a decent film, but hardly a great film.

The story is of two struggling artists...one an actress (Emma Stone) and another a jazz musician (Ryan Gosling). Each appears ready to give up their beloved craft after years of disappointments and bills....and that is when they both meet and fall in love. Ultimately, however, their careers DO take off and this leads you to wonder if they can make it TOGETHER. After all, being a famous actress or musician isn't exactly part-time work!

In many ways, this film reminds me of the ending in "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg". This sort of downbeat ending didn't really bother me...it was realistic. But somehow "La La Land" muddled it all up...and left you with a confusing ending that PROBABLY was like "Umbrellas"...but maybe wasn't. I found this to be a huge problem. Aside from this, I also was not a huge fan of the characters...though I must admit it DID leave me misty-eyed more than a few times. Well worth seeing...but a film that isn't perfect...and you'd expect a six Oscar film to be absolutely perfect.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nature: Forest of the Lynx (2017)
Season 35, Episode 10
The seasons in a relatively new park in Austria.
8 November 2018
I am surprised that they didn't mention it in "Forest of the Lynx", but the Kalkalpen National Park in Austria was only established in the 1990s. Despite this, the location and dense forest have enabled the park to be rich in wildlife. "Nature" explores these animals...mostly smaller creatures such as insects, birds, mice and so on...though the film also explores a few larger creatures, such as the chamois, lynx and trees. Overall, it's all mildly interesting despite having none of the 'amazing' species that we normally expect in a nature documentary. Worth seeing.
The Hellcats (1968)
The lowest energy biker film I've ever seen!
7 November 2018
"The Hellcats" is a very poor biker film...and there were LOTS of poor biker films. But this one is poor in a way most are not....it's dull...something you'd never expect with this genre. Much of the problem is that the film is so static...and often bikers just stand around staring! When there is action, it's not only long overdue but surprisingly muted and subdued.

The story begins with a funeral and soon a pair of folks infiltrate the biker gang to find out who killed the man's brother and the woman's fiancee. It's pretty easy for them to join the gang and there's no dangerous initiation or beat down accompanying this. After a while, you discover why the guy died....it was boredom, as this is the dullest gang of evil bikers you can find.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Despite Wayne, pretty typical.
7 November 2018
Over the course of the Three Mesquiteers series, the lineup changed all the time. The three cowboys featured in each film never was constant...and in this case John Wayne joins the more familiar Mequiteers (Tex Terhune and Ray Corrigan...who played in quite a few more films in the series). The series was enjoyable...and neither great nor poor. Compared to most B-westerns of the day, they were a bit better than average.

In this story, the Mesquiteers are, as usual, undercover agents working for the side of nicenss. They've arrived in town to investigate an insanely organized cattle rustling scheme...one that has a portable slaughterhouse that immediately processes the beef and cuts out the middleman. Can our handsome Mequiteers...and Max...manage to get to the bottom of all this?

This film is pretty typical of a Mesquiteer film, even with Wayne in the lead and the guys going undercover. As usual, Terhune whips out Elmer...his ventriloquist dummy!! I can't stand this and audiences back in the day must have groaned when they saw a couple dummies among the crime-fighters!
Lawless Range (1935)
Another big, bad boss-man trying to take over.
7 November 2018
"Lawless Range" is a B-western with little to distinguish it but one thing....John Wayne. While many today don't realize it, Wayne was in B-westerns and serials during most of the 1930s and only graduated up to A-films in the early 40s. All the B-westerns shared a few things in common: they were quickly made, had very low budgets and recycled the same sorts of plots again and again. In this case, the recycled plot is the cliched secret baddie who is trying to buy up all the land and force the settlers to leave. Why? What is the big baddie's aim? See the film to find out.

In addition to seeing Wayne, you can also see a silly thing movie makers TRIED with him...to make him a singing cowboy. He couldn't sing at all...so they dubbed him with a very deep baratone voice that sounded nothing like Wayne.

Overall, this is just an ordinary western, at best. Wayne poses as someone else while investigating....again, very familiar stuff. And, indifferently handled.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as impactful and you might have hoped.
7 November 2018
John Nesbitt narrated quite a few shorts back in the 1940s...all with a strong nostalgic bent. While he had a pleasant voice, often I disliked the films because they never allowed the actors in it to actually talk on screen...and having Nesbitt describing everything really reduces the film's impact...making it seem disconnected and dull.

In "That's Why I Left You", a husband dumps his wife and leaves a note explaining why. In it, it recounts their happier days. Ultimately, however, he was a selfish jerk and left because of his sense of wonderlust. What a jerk...or so it seems

So, you have a relatively uninvolving story and dull narration. Nothing special here.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Were things REALLY better back in the good 'ol days?! Maybe not.
7 November 2018
There isn't a lot of plot to "Those Good Old Days". It begins with a couple leaving Gramps and their daughter at home while they go off to watch a television broadcast. The old man then regails his granddaughter about how great Vaudeville was. This consists of a couple singing a few very old fashioned numbers as well as the guy doing essentially a minstrel act without the black-face.

So what did I think? I think these sorts of songs do a lot to dispell the notion that things were better back in the old days! Schmaltzy musical numbers that are difficult to listen to or enjoy don't add up to an enjoyable short. Technically well made...just not something I'd want to see.

By the way, there WERE a few TV broadcasts in 1941. This year signaled CBS and NBC beginning television broadcasts. The lineup was scant and it was assumed the networks would gear up and get into TV sooner and in a bigger way, but the US entered WWII and television was all but dropped until after the war.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Secrets of the Dead: The Alcatraz Escape (2016)
Season 15, Episode 3
A rather weak episode of a usually good show.
7 November 2018
In this episode of "The Alcatraz Escape" is a show where several experts try to recreate a famous escape where three men manufactured a raft out of raincoats in order to see if it was possible they survived this escape.

This is a very weak episode of "Secrets of the Dead" because the same procedures were done on the American show "Mythbusters" several years earlier. I am surprised they never mentioned this and the show acted as if this study was the first attempt to recreate the famous escape. Second, one the way, one of the experts they brought in to talk about the escape made a statement that was purely hyperbolic...and offensive. She said "...everyone was rooting for the men who escaped". First off, many wouldn't have been cheering--especially the residents of San Francisco, victims of these three men as well as the staff of Alcatraz. Second, this was offensive because it made heroes out of horrible people...as, after all, only the worst of the worst would have been sent to this prison back in the day. I wish this brief clip had been eliminated...especially since the show prided itself on its scientific investigation and the comment is anything but scientific....it's mostly just annoying and clueless.

Overall, I'd say this is mildly interesting but ultimately flawed episode...one of the weaker ones in the series.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
American Experience: The Eugenics Crusade (2018)
Season 30, Episode 9
Sadly, the notion of 'inferior races' and their elimination was not created by the Nazis.
7 November 2018
One aspect of American history that might shock you is that the same eugenics movement used by the Nazis to justify the extermination of 'inferior' races was actually originated by Americans. A wave of scientists used dubious scientific methods to justify the notion of sterilizing folks for the good of society as a whole. Such notions, while abhorent today, were VERY popular during the eugenics movement in the early 20th century...and these notions led to forced sterilizations of various groups of people. This show is about the history of this sick movement and shows the evolution of this sick pseudo-scientific thought.

Like nearly all episodes of "The American Experience", this one is constructed using interviews with various experts today combined with photos, film footage and evocative music....and comes off as expertly crafted...even if the subject matter is repellent. Well made...captivating....and incredibly sad.

One aspect of this episode I really appreciated was how it spared no one. It mentioned how many churches and politicians were behind the movement as well as folks still admired today, such as Margaret Sanger and WEB DuBois. In other words, the show seemed more interested in telling the true story instead of any political agenda. Overall, captivating and horrifying at the same time. Well made and worth seeing...though it is NOT something I'd show to children.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Have a box of Kleenex handy if you watch this one!
6 November 2018
When the film begins, Julie and William (Lauren Bacall and Robert Stack) fall in love and get married. They're incredibly happy and life seems grand. What he doesn't know is that Julie's health is unstable and the Rheumatic Fever she had as a child might end up shortening her life. Something else Julie doesn't tell William is that she wants to adopt a child...and he seems a bit indifferent towards the idea.

When they get a little girl, Julie thinks Hitty is darling. But William is a bookish astronomer and has difficulty relating to the girl. This means that perhaps the adoption will not become finalized...but before Julie can do anything about this, she dies!! Now, a grief-stricken WIlliam is straddled with a nice little girl who he really doesn't want. Time to get out those tissues!!!

So what happens next? Will William grow up and face his responsibilities or will Hitty ultimately be returned to the orphanage?

The acting is quite nice in the film. I was particularly impressed by Evelyn Rudie as Hitty. She was incredibly mature and convincing. It's interesting that when she got just a bit older, she was out of films entirely...our loss. The only negative about this film is that it wasn't an original, as it is a remake of "Sentimental Journey" (1946).
The Game (1997)
I was surprised how much I enjoyed this one.
6 November 2018
Sean Penn is not the most popular celebrity and has created a few enemies over the years. However, this does not make his performance nor the film "The Game" something to avoid...and considering I am no fan of him as a person, the fact I loved the movie so much says a lot. THE GAME is exceptional...and you'd be doing yourself a favor by watching it. THE GAME is one heck of a great film, as I give it a well-deserved score of 9 because it's so well written and entertaining. It is one of the most exciting and riveting films of recent memory. You've got to see this film! I'll say no more because I don't want to spoil it.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A film can be really, really dumb but NOT be in the infamous Bottom 100.
6 November 2018
"Jaws: The Revenge" is currently #26 on the imfamous Bottom 100 on IMDB. I really don't know how it made the list. Now I am NOT saying it's a good film...in fact it's a pretty stupid one. But surely there are many, many, many worse movies out there. This isn't exactly a glowing endorsement....I still don't think most sane people would enjoy this movie...unless, of course, they're looking for a laugh!

The story begins around Christmas. Yet another great white shark strikes...eating Sean Brody. Apparently, according to his mother, the sharks specifically have it out for the Brody family. And, she's apparently right, as when she moves to the Bahamas to live with her surviving son and his family, a Great White shows up....and looks as if it's ready to eat the son! Talk about carrying a grudge!! After all, Great Whites do not normally inhabit warm waters like those around the various Bahamian islands. And this one, apparently, has GPS...as it manages to find the son again and again and goes to great troubles to chase him! Dumb?! Certainly. It got so ridiculous, I half expected to have a shark waiting for him in his bathroom or in his garage or disguised as the UPS man making a delivery! So, it's up to Grandma (yes, Mrs. Brody is a grandma in this film) to take on the shark...mano y mano (as Ricky Bobby is prone to saying).

On the positive side, it was nice seeing the underwater diving footage. I have been diving in the Bahamas and Hawaii (and the film was made in both locales) and it was nice seeing the pretty water. Of course, considering that I am focusing on this and not the plot says a lot!

On the negative, the film is just plain dumb. I was especially laughing at the plane crash scene...as it just defied common sense and seemed in the movie just to add to the excitement...though NOT to believability! Very little of the film, actually, made sense and it seemed like they were just squeezing every last ounce they could out of a moribund franchise....one that should have been laid to rest long, long ago.

Only of interest to bad movie fans or anyone curious how low Michael Caine was willing to go in order to get a paycheck!
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So awful it makes you love "Fifty Shades of Gray" in comparison!
6 November 2018
"Fifty Shades of Black" is yet another film in the idiotic teenager parody genre. This overused genre consists of many movies currently on IMDB's Bottom 100 list....with the likes of "Disaster Movie" (#1), "Epic Movie" (#12), "Date Movie" (#24), "Scary Movie V" (#50), "The Starving Games" (#44) and "Extreme Movie" (#99). "Fifty Shades of Black", incidentally, is #65 on this infamous list of badness. Unlike other films in this god-awful genre, this film is a parody of another film on the infamous Bottom 100 list, the original "Fifty Shades of Gray" (#92).

This film is a bit different from the other crappy parodies I mentioned above. It is more a silly version of the original film and is NOT a parody of a dozen or more other films (which the above garbage films all are). Also, not surprisingly, it's MUCH more sexually-oriented...as "Fifty Shades of Gray" was a highly sexualized story. But this is much more crude than I even expected...and crude and unfunny scenes were piled on atop the other! It also has a lot of content that might make the more left-leaning audience members cringe or become furious. The leading man in this film is rich and successful like the one in the original story...BUT because he's black (Marlon Wayans), he says he made his fortune selling crack and sucking....well...IMDB won't let me say more about that. This is NOT the most positive and uplifting sort of black man, that's for sure!

As far as the story goes, it's terrible....so terrible I found I much preferred the original film...which I still strongly dislike. Yes, they managed to make a worse version of an already terrible movie! Offensive, brain-numbingly stupid, crude beyond belief, and, sadly, a film marketed mostly towards younger folks (whose growing brains really don't need this!). Currently, this film is #65 on the Bottom 100....I think that is way, way too generous...especially after seeing the Florence Henderson (I am NOT kidding) sex scene!
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cringe-worthy here and there...but worth seeing.
6 November 2018
"Enter Laughing" was first a book by Carl Reinter, then a successful Broadway play and, finally, this movie. I mildly enjoyed the film...my wife disliked it...mostly because there are a lot of cringe-worthy moments. These moments are not because it's a bad film...more because the humor is a bit painful to watch at times.

Reni Santoni plays David, a Jewish man growing up in the 1940s-50s. Rather out of the blue, he decides he wants to be an actor...though his parents have very different plans for him. Now if David had been any good, the cringe-inducing moments never would have been in the film. David clearly is horrible and the only reason he gets an acting job is because the leading lady in the play (Eileen May) thinks he's cute and insists her father (Jose Ferrer) cast him in the production. Can David possibly convince his family acting ISN'T a total waste of time or is he destined to head to pharmacy school?

Although Carl Reiner wrote this story, it's NOT a laugh out loud movie. In fact, the humor that is there is much more subtle and the story instead is just a painful story of a no-talent. Reasonably entertaining and worth seeing...if you can handle the embarrassing moments...and David has plenty!
Symptoms (1974)
Helen invites Anne to stay with her and for the longest time NOTHING happens!
5 November 2018
Helen (Angela Pleasance) is a flakey sort of woman and she invites her friend Anne (Lorna Heilbron) to stay with her on her estate. The atmosphere is quite dreary and weird....and for so much of the movie, absolutely NOTHING happens apart from Helen staring off into space and acting kooky. Then, out of the blue, she murders Anne. Well, it's about time, as the movie already was about half over before ANY action occurred! What's next? Well, it all depends on whether you have the patience to finish the picture!

"Symptoms" has the ability to convey horror and dread well...much like "Suspiria". But it also drags so much that when action does occur, it's simply too late....you're bored and the film hasn't gained any sort of momentum. Simply put, there are MANY horror films out there that will give you frights and not bore you to tears, like this one. You could easily do better.
The Hunted (1948)
Great noir dialog...and a very disappointing ending.
5 November 2018
"The Hunted" starts off very well and showed tons of promise as a film noir picture. However, by the time it ends, I found myself incredibly disappointed.....as the movie seemed afraid to really allow itself to be tough and cynical like most noir pictures. Plus, the happy ending just seemed stupid and like a wimp out!

This movie stars Belita, a one-namer who was a skating star and appeared in just a few movies. Much of it might be because although she IS pretty, she's not traditionally pretty and her looks are a tad tough...which is a plus for noir. It seems that Laura Mead (Belita) just got out of prison, where she'd been for four years after being convicted of robbery. However, to complicate things, her old boyfriend, the Lieutenant (Preston Foster), is the man who arrested her! Now that she's out, he is interested in re-starting their relationship...though he's not sure if she can be trusted. See the movie to find out the answer.

Belita was excellent--mostly because they gave her some amazingly snappy dialog. But the ending....it was as if they'd lost the ending and just EXPLAINED the ending...a terrible way to wrap up any film. Plus, the upbeat ending just didn't seem to fit...hence me score of only 6. I really wanted to like this movie more than I did.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The narrator sure thought he was funny....no one else would!
5 November 2018
In 1921, the film "A Small Town Idol" was made. Then, 18 years later, some idiots decided to edit the original film and make a NEW version of the movie--complete with VERY invasive narration and silly sound effects. The overall effect is just awful--showing little regard or respect to the orignal source material...which is a shame as Ben Turpin and the rest could be very funny. Instead, it's just a chore watching this short film. My advice is either watch the 1921 version or try the 1939 one without the sound. Believe me...as it is, the 1939 film is just horrid!
Too little, too late...
5 November 2018
Some time ago, Alec Graham was sentenced to die following the death of his girlfriend. Amazingly enough, Alec's father, David (Michael Redgrave), never learns about this until it seems too late as he's been in in-patient treatment for his alcoholism. He manages to make it to Britain the day before the boy's to be executed. Considering that David is a drunk and was never there for Alec, there's no surprise when the young man wants nothing to do with him nor his promises to help him. During the duration of the film, David reinvestigates the case. Could he possibly help? And, can David stay sober long enough to be of some use?

There is a big problem with the film...it seems pretty obvious who is the real killer and it should be to everyone. This guy is super-angry and very explosive all the time, you wonder why he wasn't considered a prime suspect or, perhaps, he knows more than he's telling. It defies common sense...which makes for a more mediocre film. Too bad...it could have easily been better...though the ending was pretty good.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The tale of a spoiled brat.
4 November 2018
The plot for "My Son, My Son!" is very similar to one of Spencer Tracy's best and most underrated films, "Edward, My Son". Both are about self-made men who make the mistake of spoiling their sons...and ultimately pay the price when the boy grows into a self-destructive sociopath. I recommend both...though the Tracy one is the better of the two films.

Brian Ahern plays William Essex, a guy who comes from humble origins but who strives to work his way up out of the streets. Instead of following in his family's footsteps, he becomes a successful writer and his future appears grand. Along the way, he gets married and has a son who he adores and spoils. When his wife is unexpectedly killed, the one controlling influence on the boy is gone. What's next?

Unlike "Edward, My Son", this film emphasizes a weird Oedipal relationship that eventually develops...which is interesting though not as realistic. And, unlike the other film, you see the son (Hayward)....and, oddly, you never actually see the son in the Tracy film.

Overall, this film is exceptionally well acted and is well worth your time. Its message about spoiling a child is a tad muddled...but fascinating. Well worth your time....but the Tracy film is more of a must-see for old movie buffs.
Illogical...but enjoyable.
4 November 2018
In "Something for the Birds" you get a history lesson on how government works...and it's not always a happy and nice lesson! Like "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", it talks about the nastier aspects at times, as it follows a lobbyist and shows how deals get made. But, unlike the Capra movie, this one is all about romance and comedy and takes a lighter look at Congressional 'gifts'.

The story begins with Anne (Patricia Neal) crashes a Washington party in order to try to influence people about the plight of the California Condor...a bird that is still on the brink of extinction today. Unfortunately, she meets two people who might not be the best to meet under the circumstances...the Admiral (Edmund Gwenn) and a professional lobbyist, Steve Bennett (Victor Mature). Why? Well, while the Admiral is sympathetic and even helps Anne in her campaign, he's NOT a real admiral and has been posing as one for years in order to attend all the best parties! And, with Steve, she has just started a friendship with a guy whose company is lobbying against saving the Condors! How does all this work out and will there be a happily ever after for everyone...including the Condors?

Despite being highly idealistic (especially in regard to the 'Admiral' when his ruse is discovered), the film also does give insights into the sleazy world of lobbying. It also makes for a dandy rom-com....one well worth seeing and quite enjoyable.
Free and Easy (1941)
A couple of charming sociopaths.
4 November 2018
When this story begins, you learn that Max (Bob Cummings) and Florian (Nigel Bruce) are son and father....and they are dirt poor. They live by finding girlfriends to support them in the way they've become accustomed and Max is determined to marry a rich lady. In addition, they are fourflushers and don't pay their debts. They are SUPPOSED to be charming...but to me they just seemed like nasty sociopaths. Perhaps this is why this MGM film lost money, as making you like people who are essentially selfish jerks is a tough sell (though it can work...such as in "The Lady Eve").

During the course of the story, Max pursues two women---Joan (Judith Anderson) and Martha (Ruth Hussey)....and he is neither subtle nor coy about either. Joan is rich...Martha isn't. Yet, despite himself, Max decides to marry Martha and then actually WORK for a living! But this plan is derailed when Florian runs up a huge gambling debt...so large he'll end up in prison or dead. So, Max abandons the notion of love and decides to marry Joan. What's next??

This film is a remake of an earlier movie, "-But the Flesh is Weak"...which I also did not like. Both suffered from having leading men who were pretty despicable...and it's so difficult to enjoy any film with such unlikable cads in teh lead. A lot of polish and nice acting, but these aren't enough to overcome the writing.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Calm Yourself (1935)
It starts off reasonably well but ultimately fizzles.
4 November 2018
When the story begins, Pat (Robert Young) is fired from his job by making time with the boss' daughter. Suddenly Pat gets an idea...to open up a company to do dirty jobs...things folks don't want to do themselves. The idea is not as sure as Pat thinks...and his new company struggles. Ultimately, however, he ends up taking a job in keeping a lady away from her father's house, caring for a scary dog AND watching a baby...which turns out to be a kidnapping! How can Pat extricate himself from this mess? And, what of the lady, as she and Pat have started to fall in love.

The idea started off pretty well. However, as the story progressed, it became more kooky and ridiculous. Additionally, since you never really like Pat very much, it also becomes tedious. Not terrible...just not very good despite coming from MGM. And, I agree with one of the other reviewers who felt the whole thing came off as forced...and loud at the end.
Virginia (1941)
Historically ridiculous...and overlong.
4 November 2018
While "Virginia" was filmed in Technicolor, you'd never believe it if you see the copy floating around on YouTube! It's completely washed out and all the colors look like sepia. I do hope there's a better copy available than this one.

Charlotte Dunterry (Madeliene Carrol) is returning to her ancestral home in Virginia. Why she has a British accent and grew up no where near the South seemed odd. But was even odder was what happened next. When she arrived at the old plantation, she finds that the black people NEVER left the place because they adored their white masters so much. In fact, with no Dunterrys there...they just waited....and waited. Apparently, these folks resented the abolition of slavery...and people watching it today will likely be annoyed or confused by bizarro view of slavery!! Add to that the words used to describe these folks and you have a recipe for a heart attack for the easily offended!

In addition to presenting a ridiculous view of the South, the movie has to do with Charlotte's love life. After all, she has two men who adore her...but since it's a movie, you know something is going to prevent her from getting the right one until the story ends! Will she end up with young Sterling Hayden or Fred MacMurray? This portion of the story is mildly interesting...too bad it's burdened with the crazy pro-slavery theme!

This film not only is a bad history lesson, but it is simply one cliche after another...and quite formulaic. Again and again, I predicted exactly what would happen next because of this. Overall, a poorly written and rather silly picture.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.