Reviews

Very nice
5 November 2019
Another very good documentary by Netflix. It's a great trial for an alleged very evil Nazi guard of the concentration camp for crimes against humanity, hard and touching to look at times. It's well mounted and very well told and the story is very interesting. Good use of archive footage. I couldn't stop and I saw all five chapters in a row. Practically it's flawless.

31 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Built and repetitive
4 November 2019
I really don't believe the brother told the truth during the film shoots, so appear to me far-fetched. This doc is also over stretched to cover the 1 h 25 min, so it is also repetitive and do not thoroughly investigates the events. Overrated.

Ps: do notice the fake 10/10 one lifetime reviews.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very funny episode
25 October 2019
Really a great start to the season.

Excellent and fun script.

2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Apollo 11 (2019)
This one is beautiful
14 September 2019
This doc is beautiful because it doesn't have any background comments and any interview if not some music, here and there, to highlight some moments. It just shows very well done edited and mounted unbiased footage and, somehow, in high definition.

Best doc of this amazing event to me yet, even better then any fiction.

I Am a Killer (2018)
Watchable
6 August 2019
It's not that bad nor that great, it is slow here and there, and not really engaging but, watchable.

Captive (2016– )
Not bad at all
6 August 2019
The episodes told by the protagonists are interesting and the reconstructions mixed with archive footage are very well done

Shadow of Truth (2016– )
Unpredictable
15 July 2019
A really tough and sad true story, not predictable and also a bit scary if you ask me.

3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real Detective (2016– )
Nice one
14 July 2019
True crime stories told by the real investigators and rebuild with pretty decent actors.

1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very modern and well done
4 June 2019
The series is quite funny and intelligent but above all it is shot in a modern way and with a fast pace.

Still a bit too short as a first season, just 6 episode of about 25 minutes each.

Chapeau Germany.
13 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Resident (2018– )
Very underrated
28 May 2019
A very well done series, interesting plots, good actors, beautiful music. Much better than many other recent hospital series. After "Dr. House" and "The Knick", this is the only series about doctors and hospitals I enjoyed, and I tried, and saw, most of them. Don't judge it at its first episodes, it's getting better.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Resident: If Not Now, When? (2019)
Season 2, Episode 20
Great episode
28 May 2019
Very good series and this episode is one of the greatest, till now.

The Kid (II) (2019)
Believe the imdb rating
28 May 2019
Very average and mostly boring movie.

That's it, 5/10
12 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stan & Ollie (2018)
I love Stan and Ollie but...
23 March 2019
I love Stan and Ollie and for this same reason I expected a lot more from this movie. The make-up artists were exceptional, I just expected more fun scenes, more emotions and more memories. These two great comics deserved something better, much better to me, a 10/10 movie but, it's not. Pleasant movie but not at the stature for this exceptional duo.

7/10 for good actors and makeup artists.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Bar (2017)
Underrated and hilarious
19 February 2019
Typical black comedy with absurd situations and characters characterized in Alex de la Iglesia's style. Fast paced and no stop dialogues. Good cinematography and very well told plot.

Oh well, decent attempt
16 February 2019
The movie is very original, the action is no stop but somehow fill a bit like an amateur film. The editing of the film is, indeed, not done very well and the scenes are often interrupted and not very fluid and understandable. Still a fun and original movie to watch.

Polar (I) (2019)
It's cool!
25 January 2019
The film is the cinematic adaptation of online comics. So take it for what it is. Continuous action, a lot of blood, sex, great music, drugs, eccentric characters, what else you need to have fun for a couple of hours? If you have a strong stomach this is the movie for you. A professional killer, like a super hero, this is the real "The Punisher" and it's better then "John Wick". Even Matthew Vaughn should like it.

I really like Mads Mikkelsen and he's perfect in this role.

Can't wait for Duncan Vizla II.

Really cool!
57 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Quiet Place (2018)
Suspence at its best.
16 July 2018
The movie remembered and gave me the same feeling (aliens who hunt humans) as seen in Alien (1979). It is really well done, very original about the noise issues.

It gives a not stop suspense from start to end.

For Horror, Sci-Fi movie lovers it is a must see.

Flawless 10/10
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Traffik (2018)
Rushed out
16 July 2018
Not even the Paula Patton's beauty can save this movie. Yes, the theme is important and had to be pointed out, but the execution of the movie leaves too much to be desired. The script is awful, the main actors' decisions a little dumb. It does not move any emotion, it is very flat and when it get interesting it just end in a rush. The movie gives a sense of superficiality, feel like an amateur work.

This is at its best a B movie, a tv movie, a pity because the theme it is important.

1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ozark (2017– )
This is not "Breaking Bad" even if it tries a little
7 January 2018
Apart from the common man who faces uncommon circumstances and the great amount of money he finds in his hands, cartel etc., this is not "Breaking Bad". There are no techniques of shooting, photography and music as seen in "Breaking Bad" , even if it tries. This last one had a whole other class, it was much more plausible and detailed and not only in the filming, from which Ozark try to takes its cue. Ozark is a mixture of "Breaking Bad" and "Fargo", but less of them in every respect.

It's bad? No. It is certainly more then watchable, and I watched the first season without problems, apart from a single useless episode (8), but, please, don't compare it to those mentioned above, as it is not at their level.

7.5/10 to me.
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Peaky Blinders (2013– )
Far-fetched style series with poor contents
22 May 2016
In here we found some talented actors in unconvincing and unsympathetic characters, beautiful musics but out of the contest, decent main story with simpleton stretched uninteresting side stories.

In summary it is simple and not really engaging.

It has many nice ingredients used to appear good which indeed are not convincing at all.

Right now, about the recent series, for a more demanding audience, I highly suggest "The Knick" and "House of Cards".

I give this series,

3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More then watchable
12 May 2016
I didn't find this movie bad at all, how the actual 6.3 vote had let me guess. It is not a masterpiece either, but it has different elements that let you enjoy the light ride. Indeed, the little Jaeden Lieberher is the real protagonist along some nice children and he is just so tender that should deserve a 10/10 him alone.

The plot is around a son before his coming confirmation who looks at is divorced father struggling between his problems during a tragic weekend. The child inside the confessional that open and then close the movie is so sweet to worth just by itself the whole film.

If you are a parent you could easily appreciate this movie.

10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Locke (2013)
An addictive framework
1 May 2016
This movie is like when you read a book. You create most of the characters involved and the locations through the talks of a single actor.

It is an in depth character study, during a real time short trip. The fact is that the situations who involve the protagonist, a rational engineer who face same ethical problems, his struggle to be different from his dead father, it is quite interesting and moving enough to get you involved.

The set is practically inside a car and I have to admit I was surprised it didn't bore me at all. The slight and beautiful soundtrack matches perfectly and interrupts harmoniously the slow pace. The script and the acting are flawless and surely the Hardy presence helps a lot.

It is another kind of movie, minimalist, elegantly executed. Very gripping if you are in the mood, such is to "read" a book in silence.

A missed opportunity
29 April 2016
The plot, being a real story could be interesting, if it not for its silly premises and the execution that, my bad, leave much to desire.

The whole movie indeed, between a spit and a gunshot it is not, despite its potential, as gripping or engaging as it could have been. The problem is, as well, that all the premises to this eternal fight, turn around a couple families that look like really a bunch of specious and forceful idiots! Maybe it needed some poetic license to adjust the aims.

The script is somehow flat, many secondary characters, impersonal and banal. The photography, that should accompany a now day film of this scale, isn't that great. Locations, sets and costumes, generic and not studied and not really characterized. Many characters so shallow you wont really care about. Kevin Costner is good but, wow, seems like that to enter into his hard soul cowboy character he had to (obviously) spit on the ground every now and then. Doubtless his charismatic presence, greatly helps the entire movie, anyway.

Don't get me wrong, this three episode movie still watchable but, it is a shame the fact that with this main cast (Costner, Paxton, Berenger, Boothe, Howard and the beautiful Parish) and this plot, with a bit more attention and build effort, and maybe some gripping poetic licenses, it could have been great. It is just not really well executed to me, despite the now day cinematography possibilities. It looked like made right to the TV without any (but necessary) extra efforts. The fight scenes were often out of focus and barely comprehensible and the whole movie a little stretched and not well edited, so, also the pacing and the linearity are loosed in here.

I have read "best miniseries" everywhere but if you watched enough TV series and miniseries you should know there are many better executed and gripping one out there. Cause those sentences and the actual 8.1/10 I really expected much more. It is instead around a barely simple 6-7/10 to me, that precisely, does not mean it is excellent at all.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Knick (2014–2015)
Excellent, original and so engaging as interesting
21 April 2016
This is another very gripping and flawless TV series. The direction is perfect. Wonderful costumes, sets and historical elements greatly credible. Actors are all very well chosen. Excellent photography. Slight musical interludes, subtle, enigmatic and enjoyable. The plot is truly informative and interesting, at least, to my personal taste.

The series bring us at the time, dark, dirty and perfectly represented, where medicine and surgery began the first steps that would take them to today development. In this scenario around an hospital (The Knick) come to life, intertwined and developed, the characters' stories, all very distinct and credible. Stories of exciting, but also horrible, scientific medical research and experiments. Stories about love and betrayal, faith and secularism, discrimination and racism, disease, blackmail, drugs, corruption, death and murder. The series subtitle, sums up all this, very well: "Humanity is hard to cure".

It is like a 16 hour impeccable movie with no frills and never boring. A masterpiece to me. Some scenes as realistic as they are, can be rather harsh for delicate stomachs, but this is not a defect to me, on the contrary adds value. The only negative note is that unfortunately ends, in contrast to other mediocre series that, instead, last for years.

It is unique and original and I have not found any single reasonable reason not to give full marks.

10/10 Very recommended.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Inherent Vice (2014)
A lot of style between entertainment and boredom
16 April 2016
I can't say this movie, it is not well done. The actors are good, Joaquin Phoenix is great. The stages are good. It catches enough well the "peace, love and psychedelics" 70's hippies time. The photography is good. The characters are interesting. There are some hilarious moments and dialogs. So what?

In my personal opinion, the problem is that, overall, like in others Paul Thomas Anderson's movies, the plot seems secondary, messy, and mainly not really gripping. It exceed the limit of patience and interest, but without any redemption, if not for some nice found, right till the end.

So, while I really appreciated the cinematography's art present in here, the line between entertainment and boredom has been exceeded.

6+/10