Reviews

Venky Mama (2019)
Fun, family entertainer
22 January 2020

Not for everyone. But for people who likes over the top comedy and family drama it's a great watch.

Plot: After the death of his sister, Venky mama (Venkatesh) takes in his nephew Karthik (Akkineni) and raises him as his son. Now 24, Karthik decides to find a good match for his uncle's marriage and Venky mama tries to reunite Karthik with his ex-girlfriend (Raashi). Comedy ensues.

This is a light hearted-comedy film for the most parts. There is only 3 action scenes and they are short. There are few emotional scenes nothing major except for the climax at the end. The film revolves around the 'fate vs our choices' concept.

The comedy has worked well. The first half has lots of comedy scenes and I liked most of them. Venkatesh has done an amazing job. He looks good in his Venky Mama avatar. Akkineni was good in the comedy scenes. The film has lots of star power. Everyone has done well but Venkatesh, Raashi Khanna and Prakash Raj overshadows them all. Raashi Khanna was electric with her performance, had lots of energy and looked like she was having fun. Prakash Raj was superb in his army look. Venkatesh showed a great range of emotions here, loved his work. The chemistry between Venkatesh and Akkineni was great as well.

The film looks beautiful. Most of it was shot in a village and the scenery was well portrayed. The songs were well shot as well. The action sequences right before the interval was superb. It was also one of the interesting moments of the film. The action scenes later on did not have much impact on me.

This is a fun, family entertainer. There was a lot of potential to make it even better. I had great time watching this and as the credit rolled I noticed the lingering smile on my face. This is a feel good movie, a wonderful choice to watch with the family.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strong acting, strong screenplay, mediocre story.
20 January 2020

This was one of the most anticipated films of 2019 for me.

Plot: Bobby (Kangana Ranaut) is a mental patient who has the tendency to mix her wild imagination with reality. She suspects that her new tenant Keshav (Rajkummar Rao) is not who he seems to be and makes it her mission to unmask Keshav.

From the first scene we get to see that Bobby is a crazy person. She works as a dubbing artist and with every new film she works on, she embodies the persona of the protagonist. When a new couple enters her life as her tenant she happens to be working on a horror film where the lead actor kills his wife. Bobby thinks Keshav is going to kill his wife too. She starts spying on him.

The direction and screen play both were amazing. The pace was good. The cinematography was amazing. Film is colorful and pleasing to the eye. The background music was well placed. Technically it is a perfect film.

Acting is also one of the strong suits of this film. Everyone involved did their part well. Kangana Ranaut looks crazy in her normal films so she was great cast for the role. It was good to see Amyra Dastur again. She looked stunning. Rajkummar Rao did an excellent job on the first half of the film but he looked out of place for the second half of the film. He was not a good choice for the role

The weakness of JHK lies in the story. There are many illogical occurrences which seemed to be forced for the sake of making something similar to Queen. It's like they had a tight script and then someone said what if we make it a little bit like Queen? The ending was rushed and takes away the fun. The forced romance angle was plain bad. It's like someone said hey I know we added Queen to the mix but hear me out, what if we add little bit Tanu weds manu?

This is an entertaining film with an amazing screenplay and cinematography. Very easy to watch as it flows smoothly from scene to scene. It is not afraid to get dark yet maintains the ambience of humor. It felt like I have already seen the film. It was a bit predictable towards the end.
Vel (2007)
Superb action, comedy film
12 January 2020

Plot: Twin brothers (Vel and Vasu) get separated. One is brought up in the city and another in a village. While Vel is all brawn and protects his village from an Ex-MLA (Sakara Pandi), Vasu is all brain and works in a detective agency. What will happen when the brothers meet?

This is a wonderful film and I had great time watching it. The film is directed by Hari, who later on 2010 directs Singam. Singam is one of the most iconic film of the genre and Vel has lots of similarity with Singam. The look, feel, dialogue, actions and comedy all feels like an alternate version of Singam. This is a treat for any lovers of south-Indian film.

Suriya is an amazing actor and I love his work. He has done a phenomenal job in this film. He plays two roles and does it with ease. I liked his chemistry with Asin. There were lots of comedy scenes, Vadivelu did great in his role. The songs were nice and beautifully shot. The fight scenes were nice lots of fights with knives and fists.

This is a mass action, comedy and family entertainer. I loved the film. From start to finish the film flows smoothly. Highly recommended for any Suriya fans.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ranarangam (2019)
A stylish and violent gangster flick
8 January 2020

Plot: A ruthless and powerful gangster makes a new enemy over a 1500 crore land deal. As he tries to deal with the situation an old enemy resurfaces.

The film starts in present day Spain. We see that our protagonist Deva is a powerful man who is feared by others. After 10min the film goes back to the past where he started his career in crime and met the love of his life. After 30min or so we are back in present, this back and forth between past and present continues till the ultimate climax.

First 35min is unnecessary. The real part of the film begins after the first 35 minutes. I only heard and later watched the film because of Kajal Aggarwal. Sadly she does not have much screen time. And her role did not have much to work with but I still liked what little screen time she had. Most of the actors and actresses did a great job and in terms of acting this is a polished and well-made film. Ranarangam takes itself seriously. I was afraid that it would lose its pace but till the end Ranarangam kept its integrity. The director wanted to make a serious piece of gangster drama and he did it.

The best part of the film is it's commitment to violence. There were lots of head shots, bloods and violent deaths. Some were hard to watch. There were few scenes that looked like it came straight out of a graphic novel. The film looks sleek especially the present day scenarios.

With this kind of story I think the lead actor was a bad cast. Nothing wrong with his acting, he did great in his role. Lots of swag and mass appeal is expected to pull off a character like Deva which Sharwanand lacks. Kabali had Rajinikanth, Raees had SRK and Sarkar had Amitabh Bachchan. All things being same if a mass star was cast, Ranarangam would have fared better.

This is a violent gangster flick with strong acting. Ranarangam starts slow and gets better than loses its way again. But finds its way in last 30 min. I liked the climax. Though I expected the twist but not entirely. There are some cool moments that makes up for its long run time and lack of emotional connection with viewers.
Action (III) (2019)
Good spy/thriller but not for everyone
6 January 2020

Plot: When a political leader is assassinated and Subash's (Vishal) family is framed, Subash goes on a mission to find the killer and uncover their motives.

This is a spy thriller. I have already seen similar films. What Action does better is how the first half of the story is presented. There is genuine suspense and thrill in the first half and also most of the entertainment. There are some comedy scenes that was superb but not enough for my taste. As the title suggest most of the effort went on action rather than romance, comedy or drama.

The best part of the film is Tamannah. She does not get as much screen time as she deserves but she did a great job of how much screen time she got. Her acting is top notch. Her expressions, body language all shows her hard work and effort to pull off the character. She looks really pretty in this film. I think after Baahubali this film portrayed her best in terms of looks. Tamannah's fans will surely love this film.

The editing was not up to the mark, too many fast cuts ruined the experience. Too much camera movement is also a negative and people with epilepsy should stay away from this film. The film took ideas from many similar films especially on the second half. The vfx looked choppy.

The songs are nice and well shot. Another positive is Kiara(Akanksha Puri), who is a contract killer. She looks and feels like a proper villain. I liked her more than the main villain. She was ruthless.

Over all the entertaining first half and great performance from Tamannah and Vishal makes it a must watch for the fans of the actors.
Jallikattu (2019)
One of a kind cinematic experience
4 January 2020

Plot: A buffalo escapes from a butcher and all the villagers band together to hunt it.

I liked the trailer. Though the film turned out to be different than what I expected from the trailer. I still liked the film. I was hooked from the first scene, I did not know what was going on or how it will turn out but the making is so good that I was glued to my seat. The cinematography is out of this world. The editor has done an amazing job. The film just flows. The pacing is perfect. The background music is oddly perfect. The atmosphere created by the film maker sucked me in. It is an extremely rewarding experience. My heart beat raised in some scenes as if I was there. The rawness is sometime hard to watch.

There seems to be a meaning behind the film which I did not quite get. The beast nature of human is pointed out but there are few things that is still making me ponder. I liked the film just fine without getting too deep into the meaning behind it. I don't think I have seen a film like this before. It is an innovative, beautiful, raw, thrilling and thought provoking film.
Notebook (I) (2019)
What a beautiful love story
4 January 2020

I loved the film. I wish the film was a little longer. One of the best films of the romance genre.

Plot: In 2008 a new teacher comes to a school that is in the middle of nowhere. There he finds a notebook left by the teacher of year 2007. As he reads the notebook he finds inspiration to be a better person and teacher.

The film revolves around its two leads, Kabir sir and Firdaus teacher. I loved both characters. I found them to be very sweet and likable. The story is simple. The cinematography is amazing. The beautiful scenery made the story even more interesting. I loved the songs especially Liala, Main taare and Bumro. The dialogues are amazing as well.

The acting was superb it did not feel like that it was the first film of both the lead actors. Pranutan Bahl not only teaches in the film but can also teach acting to some of the mainstream popular actresses. The way she portrayed some expression deserves high praise.

The best part of the film is its story. Such a sweet story. I had a smile on my face for the most parts of the film. I had a great time watching Notebook. I did not expect it to be this good. I really wish the film was little longer.
Fun but pointless
25 December 2019

Zombieland: Double Tap is a very unsatisfying watch mostly because it has no story or direction. It feels like a filler episode of a show. Don't have high expectations.

Plot: Little Rock runs away because she wants to get laid. The gang is worried about her so they set out to find her.

First I want to point out the bad things and get them out of the way. First is Wichita (Emma Stone). She has one expression for the most part of the film. She looks like she was being forced to be in the film. Very distracting. Second is the lack of events. Nothing happens.

The film does have few good points. Some of the things are really well done. Comedy being one of them. There are lots of laugh out loud moments. The comic timing is amazing. The chemistry between Tallahassee and Columbus still amazing.

Tallahassee is amazing and reminded me of the charm of the first film. Columbus is invisible most of the time but still deliver with his nerdy likable approach. The best character is hands down Madison (Zoey Deutch). She is so good. Laughed so much thanks to her. Some of the best moments of the film is due to her character. She deserves a standalone film of her own. Another character that is super funny is Civil War Bearded Guy played by Victor Rivera.

Zombieland: Double Tap has some really funny moments and cool zombie kills. Some of the characters acts so good that some stand out like a sore thumb. It is definitely recommended for one time watch but don't have high expectations.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Housefull 4 (2019)
Best comedy film of 2019
24 December 2019

Plot: Akshay, Riteish and Bobby plans to marry Pooja, Kriti Kharbanda and Kriti Sanon daughters of a rich man in order to pay back a gangster. All is going accordingly till their past life catches up to them.

After seeing some reviewers bashing Housefull 4 and seeing a 3.3 rating on imdb I did not plan on seeing the film but my niece insisted so I had to. 10 min into the film and I am laughing already. I ended up loving the film and this is by far the most entertaining comedy film I have seen this year.

Akshay is gold. He has done such an amazing job with his comic timing and expressions. I don't think anyone else could have done a better job. He is perfect for the role. He does two role with distinct personality differences and did a marvelous job. I liked most of the cast as well especially Chunky Pandey's work.

The set is gorgeous. The costumes are amazing. The film shows time period of 1419 and some gorgeous looking palaces. The film looks pretty, cinematography is excellent.

Songs are nice. I liked Ek chumma and Shaitan ka saala. Dialogues are amazing. Most of the comedy relies on play on words and I found those hilarious. The most wonderful thing was that the film did not take itself too seriously there were some self-parody that I liked.

I liked Housefull, and Housefull 3 but did not expect Housefull 4 to be this good. Very entertaining film. I haven't laughed this much in a while. The film deserves much higher rating than current 3.3.
Bigil (2019)
Superb cinematography with amazing bgm along with the charm of Vijay
22 December 2019

Plot: This is the story of Michael (aka Bigil, son of the good-natured don Rayappan) and his faith on the game of football.

Vijay plays two roles, Rayappan and Michael Rayappan (Bigil). He has done an excellent job at the former. As Rayappan he is so good that it makes us wish to see the story of Rayappan more than Bigil's. I hope we get a prequel.

The music is awesome. A.R Rahman has done an amazing job as we expect of him. The song Verithanam is still with me. Superb cinematography with amazing bgm along with the charm of Vijay.

The story plays with decent pace. Loved the first half. The film keeps its momentum till the pre-climax. I would have rated it 10/10 if the film stopped at the second match. Because the film dragged a bit at the climax. Could have been 15min shorter. One of the things that the film lacked most is the presence of a strong villain.

The film is aimed for the fans of Vijay. And the fans will love it. The action scenes are so well done. One of the best in recent years. Also the comedy is spot on. Had quite a few laughs. Nayanthara is on a roll, she has done a great job in this film as well. There are some twist and turns in the film and some really interesting subplots.

Vijay has done such an amazing job that saying negative things about the film will do injustice to his charm. Had waited for a while to see the film and it was worth the wait. This is a feast for the fans and one of the better films of this year.
I See You (II) (2019)
It is a clever film with some genuine surprises in the story
18 December 2019

Plot: Jackie Harper is trying to fix her marriage after her affair with her high school sweetheart but her husband and son is not making it easy. To make things worse there is a creepy presence in the house.

The poster seemed cool and I thought it would be cool horror film. It is actually a mystery/thriller film, not a horror film.

There are three phases in the film. First phase revolves around the Harper family and the little strange occurrences that happens around the house. As the film progresses those strange events become increasingly creepy. There is also the drama centering the unfaithfulness of the wife. First phase takes almost 60 percent of the run time. I loved this phase, I had no idea what was going on, lots of questions were running around in my head. Then comes the second phase which takes a totally different turn in terms of cinematography and the tone of the film. Some hand held shots were used which distracted me from the ambience created by the first phase. This is the weakest phase of the film. Thank god it was the shortest phase as well.

The last phase shows lots of details and tries to tie the story lines. I liked most part of this phase as well. The tone of the film shifts here as well.

The acting was good by all the actors and music was nice as well. The frog mask is creepy. There were some solid twists which surprised me.

As the film has distinct phases and goes from mystery to thriller to action the overall experience diminishes a little. The production value is low and sometimes feels like a low budget TV-movie. There are some inconsistencies in the story.

I enjoyed the film. It is a clever film with some genuine surprises in the story. I liked the creepy ambience of the film and also the little dramas between the characters. Short run time also works in the favor of the film.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watchmen (2019)
Good show but not as good as some of the reviews are making it to be
16 December 2019

Plot: After the shooting of a cop, police begins to go after 7th Cavalry. The fight between the racist group and vigilante like cops intensifies as the chief of police is found lynched.

There are several story-lines but the main one is focused on Angela Abar (Regina King). The death of chief of police, the return of 7th Cavalry, meeting with her grandfather and a mysterious lady named Lady Trieu all seems to be connected with her.

There are some really good moments in the show. The production value is high and looks amazing. The action is well done and just cool to look at. The way the story is presented is superb. The costumes are cool and loved the origin story of The hooded man. The lady Trieu and Bian is amazing. Dialogues are amazing.

Not as good as some of the reviews are saying. After the first 3 episodes I was hyped. I felt I have found the best show of the year and till 7th episodes I was very happy with it. But after the 9th episode I feel like something is missing. I just don't care what happened not sure if anything happened at all. The lead actress is just flat. She has two mode, aggressive and lips shaking crying. Laurie Blake character is annoying to look at, almost ruined the whole experience. There are many plot holes especially near the end, as if they threw the logic out the window and just wanted to put 5 episodes materials in 1.

Over all it is an above average show with some amazing moments. But the show does not go anywhere. Visual treat with little to no substance. I am still confused as to how it was entertaining yet boring at the same time?
5 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Laal Kaptaan (2019)
Howdodoo!
11 December 2019

Plot: Around 1789 a Naga sadhu (Saif Ali Khan) who works as a bounty hunter gets wind of Rehmat Khan, a man he has been trying to find and kill for 25 years.

A Naga sadhu (Saif Ali Khan) Addressed in the film as Gossain has built a legend by bounty hunting. Some even calls him a ghost. He covers huge land and difficulties to find his target Rehmat Khan. The film revolves around the question who is he and why is he obsessed with this particular target.

Laal Kaptaan starts with a bang. We get to see some cool actions and amazing dialogues. Saif looks awesome in his Naga sadhu avatar. The whole first part is awesome. I enjoyed it.

The best part of the film is the tracker played by Deepak Dobriyal. His character is amazing so is his performance. His catch phrase is Howdodoo! For few gold coins he can track anyone. If this was The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, he would be the ugly.

For this type of film to succeed incredible acting is required, Deepak Dobriyal did and for the most part Saif Ali Khan did it too. The young man in beginning awaiting to be hanged was amazing too. Rest of the cast did not add much.

I found the music to be great as well, it accompanied with some amazing visual.

The self destruction of Rehmat Khan begs the question how he managed to live for so many years. The character of our Bad guy is incoherent and feels dead like the eyes of the actor who played it. But the worst actor credit goes to the widow (Zoya Hussain). It is a pain to see her ruining a superb film. Her character had to had the most depth but she ruined it. A cardboard has more emotional range. In the second part many unnecessary things were shown. And the film felt long.

I enjoyed the first half immensely also the climax. It is an enjoyable film. Also some of the dialogues are very impactful. Over all a very well written film.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyed it but Midsommar is better.
6 December 2019

I have heard a lot about this film, good things. It is a well-made film. I enjoyed the first half more than the second half. I knew how it would end so that kind of made it less enjoyable than it should have been. Also I watched Midsommar which is a better film both in terms of visual and character.

Plot: Sergeant Howie receives and anonymous letter saying that a girl is missing in a private island. Once there he is shocked by the degenerative behavior of the townsfolk also he suspects that the girl might have been murdered.

The first part of the film is amazing. We have a Cristian devotee who is plunged into a world of old gods, superstitions and pagan rituals. The ideologies of the town's people and the sheer lack of concern over the missing child perplexes him. The way people of the town interacts him feels deliberate and feels almost as if they are taunting him, making a mockery of his religious belief. We see him praying at night and gradually being angry at the people around him. The way his character is shown is very interesting and I enjoyed it.

In second part of the film, we are shown more bizarre side of the town and its people. By then I could feel the ultimate fate of our protagonist. Some scenes were really well made. I liked the dialogues. Songs were wonderful.

I did not like the absence of horror element. There were no danger lurking, no tension. The film felt like a comedy, even during the end it did not had any horror feeling. The Midsommar is a much better film although I would recommend anyone who liked Midsommar to give it a watch.
The Capture (2019– )
Entertaining show with a cool concept
4 December 2019

Plot: A British soldier gets nationwide attention on his war crime trial and gets acquitted on a technicality concerning the video of the crime. Later that night he is seen to assault and kidnap his barrister live on a CCTV footage. He claims he is innocent and the footage is fake.

The story revolves around DI Rachel Carey. There are many characters but none have much impact. It's the changes in Carey that overshadows the conspiracy or even the ultimate fate of Shaun Emery.

DI Rachel Carey played by Holliday Grainger did an excellent job. She is pretty to look at as well. Hannah Roberts played by Laura Haddock was outstanding. Marcus Levy is a small role played by Paul Ritter, he was spot on. Others did not stand out much. Shaun Emery did not look the part, he failed to show the emotions needed for the character.

The show as a whole has its ups and downs. Episode 1,3 and 5 were superb. In fact last episode did more harm than good and could have been made as a five episodes show. The ending is a bit controversial but I saw it coming and makes sense.

The story in the beginning reminded me of Bodyguard (2018). But bodyguard is a much better show and easily recommended. Though the show drags at some places it still has very interesting story. Overall an entertaining show.
Devadas (2018)
A clean family entertainer
2 December 2019

One of the funniest films I have seen in a while. The bromance between Das and Deva is beautiful and funny.

Plot: When father of Don Deva (Nagarjuna Akkineni) is killed, Deva comes out of shadows to exact revenge. And after being shot he meets Das (Nani), a naive idealistic doctor down on his luck. This meeting changes both their lives.

The film starts like a gangster film and gives the impression of an action film. Lots of character and events are shown that are not very interesting and could have been edited out. The film gets interesting after 45mins mark. I am happy that I stuck to it till this point because once the momentum starts the comedy between Deva and Das is amazing. There are lots of laugh out loud moments in the film. Nagarjuna Akkineni played the role of Deva with ease, he looked like he was having fun. Nani did justice to his role as well. The lead actresses did not have much to work on but they looked really pretty. I liked the songs Chettu Kinda Doctor and Vaaru Veeru.

At its core Devadas is light light-hearted comedy film to enjoy with family and friends. The lead duo does an excellent job carrying the film, they are the strength of this film. The film does not take itself seriously and all the drama scenes are downplayed. There are some action scenes. Also few twists here and there.

I had lots of laugh watching Devadas. Though it takes some time to get started, it is worth sticking for first 45 minutes.
The Report (I) (2019)
Well-paced, well-acted, entertaining film with likable protagonist.
2 December 2019

Plot: After the CIA burns the tapes of interrogation post 911, Daniel Jones(Adam Driver) is tasked to create a report of what went on in the CIA's detention center.

I like this kind of film. I liked the poster and the plot, it kind of reminded me of The post (2017) also the first season of The Newsroom. I loved both so it was easy for me to give it a shot and it was worth it.

The film follows Daniel Jones going through CIA's report. We get to see the events chronologically as he discovers one thing after another. After the terrorist attack CIA is afraid that similar things might happen, out of that fear they made some rash decision and things get complicated fast. Now the CIA is torturing and calling it crucial to stop terrorism. The atrocities done by CIA is shown pretty early on the film because the film is not about the truth but getting the truth out. I do not know much about the events nor the timeline of those event. In 2009 I saw the film New York which showed the torture being done in the same manner so it must have been a common knowledge back in 2009 that detainees were being tortured. The film focuses on the uphill battle towards admitting those deeds.

The acting is superb. The character felt real. It was shown in sort of documentary style no over the top drama was shown. As a film this is a well-paced, well-acted, entertaining film with likable lead.

One of the things that I really liked was there were no super villains or some unrealistic ploys to stop the report from getting published. All the actions were logical so it creates a tension of a different kind. Not having any political knowledge of the said events helped enjoy the film because I did not know what will happen in the end. The dialogues are another strength of this film. And the torture scenes were hard to watch.

As I love these types of films it was easy for me to enjoy the film. Looking forward to watch All the President's Men.
3 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
eerie images, creepy atmosphere, interesting film.
30 November 2019

I liked the film. The film succeeds in creating a creepy atmosphere. It is not as scary as some people in the review mentioned, it is definitely creepy and an interesting watch.

Plot: The film starts by introducing the legend of the film named Antrum. It is said to be cursed and anyone who saw it died. The Antrum starts. A boy has nightmares that his dead puppy Maxine is in hell, so his older sister takes him to a forest where with help of a mysterious book they can dig into second layer of hell and save the soul of Maxine. On this journey things gets increasingly disturbing and the question arises are we really in a forest or descending into hell.

The imagery is effective and creepy. We see lots of sigils, markings and blurred face of demons. The editing is done intentionally in a way that makes seem like made with some sinister purpose. The cautionary tale in the beginning is very clever, it makes the viewing feels like something we shouldn't be doing.

The acting is amazing, there are some twists there. Which makes sense and was hinted early on. The characters of brother and sister is likable.

The film has similar feelings of The Blair Witch Project. Towards the end film gets intense. Enjoyed the film.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
War (2019)
Watch it for Hrithik, Tiger duo
29 November 2019

Plot: Kabir (Hrithik), who is best RAW agent of India starts to kill the top people of his own government. Now it's up to his own team to catch him before he kills more people also find out why he has gone rouge.

As an action film War is an above average film. There are lots of action scene and they are really well done. I liked the dialogues too, they were mature and fitted the film well.

The film looks like the combination of lots of action films mashed together. Some chase scene feels like straight from Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, some gun fight feels like taken out of Tiger Zinda Hai, few scene feels like out of a bond film, the final chase scene is from Fast and furious and some scene looks like conjured from the directors last film Bang Bang. But all these are done really well, the action scenes are gorgeous. The colors are popping, it is a visual treat. Saaho looks better though.

The film is fast paced, after the intermission it slows down a bit and then takes off again. It is an entertaining film. For the fans of Hrithik, Tiger or action films in general, this is a must see film. Some twist are there too. A little love interest was shown and thank god it was short and not too distracting.

One concern is that on the fight scene there is no background music. For such long fist fights not using any background music is a bad call, if it was to make the fight look realistic than they should have made the fight scene shorter and intense. I really hope we don't see the repetition of this on Siddharth Anand's next film.

I wanted to see the film for Hrithik, Tiger duo. They did not disappoint. The first half is amazing, second half loses its way a bit. Overall a good action film. And a must watch for the fan of Hrithik and Tiger.
Eli (I) (2019)
An amazing film with solid scares and performance
29 November 2019

The film starts well and gets better except for the ending.

Plot: Eli has auto-immune disorder and as a last ditch effort to cure him, his parents take him to an experimental and highly expensive treatment center. As the treatment starts Eli begins to question the objective of his doctor. Also he is being haunted by ghosts.

The first part of the film is slow and mostly revolves around the question if the hauntings are real of the side effects of the gene therapy that he is receiving. The scary scenes were well done. The film is worth a watch just for those part alone.

Around 70 minutes into the film I could see that a twist might be coming, it took some time to get there and there, all the answers we were asking for. About the twist, the good thing is I did not expect it but the bad thing is that it took away the satisfaction of watching a well-made film.

The casting is perfect for Eli (Charlie Shotwell) and his mother Rose (Kelly Reilly). The acting was top notch. The role of the doctor played by Lili Taylor was the only character that made sense after the twist was shown. Rest of the character seemed like did a 180.

Two things I did not like, first, the whole first part of the film seems like made to mislead and has nothing to with the reality shown in the film. Second the world depicted here seemed so small.

An amazing film with solid scares and performance. Deserves a better rating the current 5.8/10.
Midsommar (I) (2019)
One of the best films of the year.
27 November 2019

What a delightful experience. I am so happy I got to see this incredible piece of art. This surely is one of the best films I have ever seen.

Plot: After the tragic death of her family, Dani an emotionally unstable girl is invited to see a mid-summer festival in Sweden by her boyfriend. What started as a drug fueled, fun adventure in an otherworldly place takes increasingly darker turns with the passing of each day.

From the first scene of the film two things stood out. One is the cinematography and the other is the background music. And these two gets better and better until the end. I have never seen such a beautiful film. There are parts of films that looked incredible but to make film this beautiful is truly a work of art. The music and visual creates an ambiance that clearly gives a hint that this is going to be a tragic film. Once the friends make it into the idyllic village of the Harga the cinematography becomes even more awesome. It felt like a trip. The music always kept the tension even while nothing of unease was unfolding.

The first time we get to see the bizarre and possibly dangerous nature of the pagan ritual the characters are part of comes almost after an hour. The scene is so shocking that I had to look away from the screen. This is not a film for the faint of heart. It gets grotesque and bizarre from this point on.

The acting was superb. Florence Pugh did an excellent job portraying the emotional journey of Dani. The other members of the cast was fantastic.

There are so many good things to say about this film. I did not see the trailer nor read anything about it. Wanted to see it with an open mind. I am glad I did that. I found this film way better than Hereditary which is an excellent film as well.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good film, wrong name
26 November 2019

This is not a Rambo film. It's more like Taken meets The Collector(2009).

Plot: John Rambo (Sylvester Stallone) is a war veteran who suffers from PTSD. She has a niece, Gabrielle. One day Gabrielle decides that she wants to see her dad who left her years ago. Uncle John says no because it is dangerous. But she elopes to Mexico to see her father. There she gets abducted by the bad guys. Now John must find and bring Gabrielle home.

Very straight forward film. The film was marketed as an action film. But there is no action till last 15min. But that's okay. Once we make peace with the fact that the producers wanted to use the name of the franchise to bring extra money it turns out to be a decent film.

The actress who played Gabrielle is very pretty, even when she is making questionable decisions she does not come across as annoying so that is a plus.

One of the best thing about this film is that it is not afraid to show some hardcore stuff that usually we don't get to see from Hollywood. Once the niece is abducted I thought they will do a Taken here but I was wrong. And I am delighted. There was interesting subplot going on with the bad guys. One is the brain other is the muscle but it never got explored.

Towards the very end the film changes gear and we see Rambo become The collector and lays trap for the uninvited guests. The action is fast paced, bloody and satisfying.

A decent film with good performance. The short run time is a plus.
A near perfect film
23 November 2019

One of the best movies I have seen in a while. I would have rated it 10/10 if it followed normal filming instead of showing just one character on the screen.

Plot: Masilamani, a poor security guard of a club is picked up by the police on the suspicion that he may have connection to a recently committed murder. While his son waits for him outside the interrogation room, Masilamani starts to confess how he committed the murder. Is he telling the truth or are these ramblings of a mad man? And to make things more complicated he voluntarily admits to second murder he committed earlier.

The film takes place inside a room and we only see one character on the screen. This is a great technical achievement because 10-15 min into the film and we forget that there is only one person being shown. The dynamic cinematography and superb acting by the actor Parthiban makes it possible.

The highlight of the film is the story. Kept me engaged from 15-20min into the film and never let me go. One twist after another. The character is very likable and from get go I was rooting for him.

The title is perfect. The whole time I was wondering what all these has to do with --- but it does.

Very satisfying watch deserves lots of praise. It would have been better if we could see the other character present in the room but it is already a near perfect film as it is.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best films of this genre
22 November 2019

Syeraa Narasimha Reddy!

Amazing film. I have been waiting for this one for a while and finally got to see it. Loved it. This film has a lot going for it. It started out well and got better and better with each segment.

What an amazing cast. All the actors carried their role masterfully. Chiranjeevi is too good. He looks amazing. In some scenes he looks so cool. The scene where we first see Chiranjeevi doing yoga under water. Superb! He looks like a superhero in his Narshimha avatar.

There are many action scenes and they are done well. The action scene right before the intermission is superb. And the action scene right after the intermission is intense.

There are few goose bumps moments in the film. The film assembled an amazing cast. Tamannaah Bhatia has done amazing job. Sudeep looks like a warrior walked out of the epic Mahabharat. I really wanted to see more of him. His character is one of my favorites in the film. Vijay Sethupathi , Amitabh Bachchan both were amazing as well.

The first part of the film deals with life of Narasimha Reddy as chief but the second part takes on a larger view shows us the rebellion and the people involved.

There are many aspect of the film that I liked. Most noteworthy is that by the time the credit rolls it ignited a spark of patriotism and appreciation for people like Uyyalawada Narasimha Reddy.

Similar films: Thugs of Hindostan, Kesari, Bahubali
Kavacham (2018)
Routine masala film that has its moments
20 November 2019

An honest cop meets a girl(Kajal Aggarwal) but she is to be married elsewhere and leaves the city but few days later he is accused of kidnapping the girl and is chased by police. Who framed him? why?

The best thing in the film is the twist that comes right around the intermission, I did not see that coming. The film starts well little comedy here and there, boy meet girl, some nice action scene. This is the second good point of the film, the action scenes were done well. Lots of glass breaking, man flying, slow motion punches. Both the actresses looked beautiful. The wardrobe department did an excellent job. Love what the actors wore. Kajal looked beautiful so did Mehreen Pirzada.

I am no expert but Bellamkonda Sai Sreenivas did not do justice to the role of an honest cop. We have seen amazing cop in films like Singam, Temper, Saamy etc. He does some parts well though. I loved the work of Mehreen Pirzada as Lavanya. She was one of the favorite parts of the film for me.

I like this type of films so I enjoyed it for what it has to offer. It is a routine masala film and there is nothing wrong with that. One just needs to know what to expect.