Reviews

1,637 Reviews
Strictly Come Dancing: Week 4 Results (2019)
Season 17, Episode 9
Shock horror
18 October 2019
People need to calm down.

You have your opportunity to vote, if you don't your favourite is in danger of going home.

This was another solid episode of what is shaping up to be a good series of the long running reality show, that unlike it's opposite number (The X Factor) doesn't seem to be going stale.
Good fun
18 October 2019
This film was much better than people made it out to be!

People who probably didn't even see it make jokes about this film being rubbish, but actually it does everything it set out to do.

We get a good performance from Alden as young Han, and there's lots of twists and turns along the way.

Perhaps weighed up against all that has gone before in the 'Star Wars' saga it pails a little bit in comparison, but I don't understand quite why people were quite so harsh about it.

The only negative I can think of is that it sets itself up for a sequel that now probably isn't coming.
Serendipity (2001)
Different, but not great
16 October 2019
This is a different sort of romantic comedy, and that's commendable, but that doesn't make it a good one.

Everyone involved tries hard, but it's hard to ignore the fact that the two lead characters aren't that likeable, despite everything Cusack and Beckinsale are doing to try to make the material work.

Enjoyable enough, but not great.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
According to Jim: The Stick (2006)
Season 5, Episode 14
The Stick
16 October 2019
It's never going to be ranked as one of the best sitcoms ever, but it should be noted that 'According to Jim' did run for 8 years, and produced some very funny moments.

I liked this episode, I thought it broke the norm in terms of standard sitcom plots, and had some nice sharp lines within it.
A hidden Tom Hanks gem
16 October 2019
I think this is the sort of film that's quality sneaks up on you.

Gary Marshall's film starts out as just another early Tom Hanks comedy, but then broadens into something quite dramatic and heartfelt.

If you haven't seen this early Hanks film, it's well worth seeking out.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Moana (I) (2016)
A fun modern Disney Animated Classic
16 October 2019
Disney really seem to be on a run of good form with their Animated Classics (Wreck it Ralph 1 and 2 aside) and this is another good entry.

It has a story and humour that will appeal to children and adults alike, as well as some catchy songs along the way.

It's well worth watching.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life: Winter (2016)
Welcome back to Stars Hollow
13 October 2019
This episode of the revival had the biggest amount of work to do in terms of setting up the 'Gilmore world' once again, deal with the sad passing of a cast member on screen and off, while also still telling a story that would last the overly long time slot.

It manages some of these with aplomb, but there is a lot of filler, and some not overly pleasant new takes on beloved characters.

Perhaps they should have left the show alone.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice enough, but lacking in closure
13 October 2019
The 7th series finale of 'Gilmore Girls' never feeling quite like closure due to the fact that they didn't know it was the last episode, and the original creators/Exec Producers weren't pulling the strings at the time, so it was only a matter of time before a revival took place.

And here it is - 4 overly long seasonally themed episodes that actually don't provide much closure, opting to tease us with a cliff-hanger instead.

I cannot fault the performances, or the writing, but it all does feel a bit like an epilogue that we could have imagined in our own heads.

Characters from the original show pop up to make cursory appearances, but often just for the sake of it, and there's a lot of filler along the way.

It's nice to be back in Stars Hollow, but I'm not sure it was an essential trip.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Through the Keyhole (2013– )
Dire
13 October 2019
This is how you ruin a classic TV format by trying to update it.

Can Leigh Francis just retire the Keith Lemon character now please!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The X Factor: Celebrity: Auditions 1 (2019)
Season 1, Episode 1
And now for something not quite new
13 October 2019
Despite saying that he'd never repeat the 'Celebrity X Factor' twist, Simon Cowell returns to the format again this year, perhaps in a bid to shake up a tiring format.

There's a lot to like here, though in some cases the word 'celebrity' might be a stretch in terms of the people taking part.

It will be interesting to see if this catches on or not, but the change in format does at least give a bit of added freshness.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Modern Family: A Year of Birthdays (2019)
Season 10, Episode 22
Another modern family begins
13 October 2019
This was a different sort of episode than normal, in the sense that it told little snippets of stories, rather than the traditional 2-3. We also see the birth of Haley's twins, which has been the thread across most of this 10th series.

For me this episode suffers because it doesn't know whether it's a finale of the series or 'Modern Family' in general. It actually would have been a good place to leave it.

I enjoyed the episode overall though.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Modern Family: Commencement (2019)
Season 10, Episode 21
Great fun once again!
13 October 2019
I thought this was a fun episode, with all of the storylines working.

Despite what others have said, I think the quality of this 10th series has been strong on the whole, and this is another example of that.

There were some very funny moments here.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Modern Family: Can't Elope (2019)
Season 10, Episode 20
Wonderful
12 October 2019
I can only disagree once again with all the negative reviews.If you keep comparing every new episode to ones that have gone before you will only be disappointed.

I thought this episode was great, right up there with the best of Series 10, and full of all the heart/humour we have come to expect from 'Modern Family' in general.

This was a lovely episode.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Modern Family: Yes-Woman (2019)
Season 10, Episode 19
Nearly brilliant
11 October 2019
Yes, the Cam and Mitch storyline was rubbish, but other than that this was a really good episode of the show, with the other two stories working really well.

I loved the Phil/Alex story, and wish that more time was spent on relationships such as this rather than silly stories like the Mitch and Cam one.

When it's good 'Modern Family' is still very good, but a few episodes of S10 have had one dud storyline in them.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Modern Family: Stand by Your Man (2019)
Season 10, Episode 18
Phil passes on wisdom
11 October 2019
With so many stories being told per episode it's inevitable that some work, and some don't.

I thought the story involving Phil trying to impart wisdom was the best of the bunch, with some lovely moments there.

The Claire/Lilly story had potential, but seemed rushed, and it's a shame that more episode time wasn't dedicated to it.

The others were fairly forgettable, or variations on themes/plots that have been done before, but by S10 can we really blame the writers too much for this?

Another decent episode.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Modern Family: The Wild (2019)
Season 10, Episode 17
A tale of two sub-par storylines
11 October 2019
Every long running show has weaker episodes as the years go by, as it gets harder to find new material.

This isn't the best episode of S10, probably up there with the 'DeDe dies' episode in terms of the worst.

The boys storyline is better than the girls (which seems oddly Christmas themed when in other episodes we've been in Spring) but again is covering topics we've seen before. It was nice to see them explore the depths of the characters though, with the Mitch and Jay moment in particular being nice.

I won't talk about the girls story,other than to say it's weak.

An episode to skip sadly.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Modern Family: Red Alert (2019)
Season 10, Episode 16
Why all the poor reviews? I thought this was lovely
5 October 2019
Again, people are being harsh on this show, and again I disagree.

I think this episode, like a few in the 10th year have, tackles some themes that have been done before (Jay struggling to step down from work etc) but any episode of this show always has its moments, and if the stories are a little weaker then the performances of the cast can normally carry it.

I thought the Lilly storyline was beautifully done, though I wish the writers would be a bit more consistent in the writing of the character of Alex.

Show me any long running show that's quality hasn't dropped a notch over the course of its. Then you'll see just how consistent 'Modern Family' is.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Modern Family: SuperShowerBabyBowl (2019)
Season 10, Episode 15
Great stuff
Well I enjoyed it.

People are very harsh on 'Modern Family', but it is still one of the best shows on TV.

I thought this episode was great, with the Phil/Manny storyline being the best of the bunch.

It was a warm and charming episode.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Modern Family: We Need to Talk About Lily (2019)
Season 10, Episode 14
Phil goes to La La Land
5 October 2019
I've enjoyed S10 overall, and this is another good episode.

The Cam/Mitch story was well played, and it's nice to see them using the character of Lilly more.

While I think they've been paired together a bit too often this year I enjoyed the Gloria/Jay story, with Ed O'Neil on top form.

The best story by far though was the one involving Pepper and Phil, and Nathan Lane is one of those great guest stars who 'Modern Family' can call upon year on year, which is testament to the quality of it.

I agree with Claire, I'm not mad about the transformation in Alex either, but that's the direction the writers have taken the character I guess.

I enjoyed this episode.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Modern Family: Whanex? (2019)
Season 10, Episode 13
2 out of 3 good stories
3 October 2019
As with a few of the episodes in this 10th (and at the time potential final series) of the show the plots seem a little similar to ones that have gone before.

Despite the recycled "people think Phil and Gloria are a couple" angle, there is still fun to be had in that story, and I enjoyed the Jay and Claire one too, with it having a real sense of heart.

I didn't think the Mitch/Cam story worked though, I didn't find it overly funny.

Yes, 'Modern Family' is probably beyond its peak these days, but there is still a lot to like about it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Modern Family: Blasts from the Past (2019)
Season 10, Episode 12
A bit familiar but still good
2 October 2019
I liked this episode, I thought it had some nice moments.

All of the stories shared some similarities with ones that had been told in previous years, but after 10 series perhaps a bit of repetition is to be expected.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Match of the Day: 2019/20: 10/8/19 (2019)
Season Unknown, Episode Unknown
Here we go again
1 October 2019
We live in an age where you can get the highlights of matches very quickly, but there's still something comforting, even routine about watching them on good old 'Match of the Day'.

It's comforting in the sense that the format doesn't really change. The pundits may, the game itself might (hi VAR) but other than some funky new graphics the show remains much the same as it always has.

Long may it continue.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
According to Jim: Pilot (2001)
A unspectacular first episode
1 October 2019
No pilot is completely perfect, this one certainly isn't. Thankfully from watching later episodes I know it improves.

What it does do well is set up all the major characters, and importantly for a show about a couple raising kids, establishes their relationship.

Everyone has good chemistry, and it's a show with its heart in the right place.
Community (2009–2015)
Not for me
1 October 2019
Despite featuring a likeable cast (and Chevy Chase) I did not enjoy this show, finding it to be smug and offensive in places.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Modern Family: A Moving Day (2019)
Season 10, Episode 11
I don't mind Pam
1 October 2019
Unlike many it seems I don't actually mind Pam in small doses. I thought she was fine here, manipulating Cam's relationship with Mitch as ever.

The ongoing 'Haley is pregnant' storyline is a good runner throughout this 10th series, and Reid Ewing again is fab as Dylan.

All of the Jay/Gloria stories this series have been quite similar, so I hope there's a shake up there in upcoming episode.

Another good episode.