Reviews

worth a watch, but just once
20 August 2019
If you're a fan of both Vincent Price and Christopher Lee, then perhaps you should give this film a chance. Let me add that neither actor's performance was that enticing to warrant a "must-see" viewing, and I was a bit letdown, but there were some interesting moments anyway. The scenery was eerie, and that always adds to any film, and the killer's crimson hood was a nice touch. Right off the bat, the voodoo angle/curse at the beginning didn't exactly excite me, especially the silly close-ups of the voodoo priest; let me also add that I saw this film on a cable channel with commercials, and some important scenes could've been edited, but overall, it was slightly boring. One scene which didn't work for me had the killer going to a local pub, while donning the hood mind you, gets himself in a few fights, while being shoved around by many others...yet the hood remains on the whole time! If I'm getting in a tiff with a dude wearing a hood, you know I'll somehow remove it. After we do finally see Sir Edward's face, I was letdown yet again, as it seemed like a face from a Twilight Zone episode. I think this film would've been better suited if Roger Corman directed it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Columbo: A Case of Immunity (1975)
Season 5, Episode 2
He's no diplomat!
23 July 2019
Let me begin this review by mentioning some tragic news revolving around two of the actors, both Sal Mineo and Barry Robins, even though someone else probably mentioned this already. Just in case you haven't read those other reviews, I'll keep you up to date to give these two men proper respect, and both died tragically. Mineo was killed about 4 months after this episode in a botched robbery attempt, while Robins died from complications from AIDS in 1986. Mineo portrayed Rachman Habib, while Robins portrayed King Hamid. Back to the story, the real star to me is Hector Elizondo, while not quite on par with Jack Cassidy or Robert Culp as a guest killer, he certainly held his own with a fine performance. It seems a bit odd that a person with such power and authority would commit 2 murders himself, and not hire someone else to do his bidding, but then I guess we wouldn't have a fine episode. The scenery is much different than a typical wealthy killer's boring mansion, as here we're treated to an embassy with beautiful gardens with exotic flowers. There aren't as many funny moments here as in other episodes, but I thought the conclusion was a bit of a nice surprise, although this would probably only happen in a true Hollywood ending. All in all, still an enjoyable and worthy episode.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Columbo: Murder Under Glass (1978)
Season 7, Episode 2
My "two" cents
3 July 2019
The meaning of my summary title revolves around two main aspects which keep this from becoming a great episode. I'll get to them a bit later, but for now, let me say that this is still a very solid episode, with many familiar faces. They include Louis Jourdan, who plays an arrogant food critic AND murderer, Michael V. Gazzo, Richard Dysart, Larry D. Mann, France Nuyen, and Mako. Another notable aspect has Columbo eating many exotic dishes, considering he's investigating the murder of a chef; one of the chefs tells him "you'll never go hungry", while he's working on the case. You may find yourself hungry watching this episode too, as even Columbo himself tells a chef that he's done nothing but eat while investigating the murder. I'll assume you know the story by now, so I'll skip those details, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the two things that bother me, and I'll do my best not to spoil anything for you. The first is when Columbo mentions to a large gathering that "by this time tomorrow" the killer will be arrested; a moment later, the suspect looks like he could care less, where anyone else would probably look worried. That seemed a bit unrealistic to me. The other moment is during the very long conclusion, where Columbo and Paul Gerard(Jourdan)prepare to eat a meal together, while the detective is telling the suspect how he used poison to kill the chef, while even admitting that he has no real proof to convict him! Why would the killer go through all the trouble of attempting to murder Columbo, when there's no real proof anyway? A stupid risk to take, but it's probably a typical Hollywood ending. This is still a fun episode, and it may make you hungry, so beware!
"You crazy old bag!"
1 May 2019
When a line like the above is mentioned, you know you're in for an episode that's a winner, as this terrific segment surely is. This is one of my personal favorites from this show, and watch for familiar faces in Bill Bixby, Donna Douglas, Ned Glass, and Carol Lynley, whose face you couldn't escape back in those days, and she was probably the least interesting character here; also, let's not forget the "crazy old bag" Janya Braunt, whose short acting career ended just a few months after this episode. Many Night Gallery shorts probably wouldn't pass muster today, and many of these border on being silly, but this one I think is still effective, and has some truly scary scenes. One of those scenes has our favorite "old bag" say, "he cook zee cat!" about the tormented Bruce Tarraday, and I don't think that particular scene would get past the censors today. I can't help but to feel pity for poor Bruce, as he seemed a humble guy who was a hard worker, and I wish the druid statue tormented a creep instead of him, but this fact doesn't detract the greatness of this memorable episode. The shadows also work very well, and if you happen to notice the intro when Rod Serling talks about the painting, his face appears to be shrouded in a creepy red hue, which adds to the overall experience of a great episode.
One crazy funeral
2 April 2019
Even though this segment seems like Jack Laird directed and/or wrote it, although he did not, he did have a small starring role as Ygor. I've read the he and Rod Serling often clashed over the direction of the Night Gallery over the comedic segments. Let me say that I enjoyed the first part of this story, which was more serious, than the second part, which was more "funny", although it's really not that funny. Horror writer veteran Richard Matheson has a writing credit, and you know he adds credibility, and I wonder if he also wrote the "funny" parts. Werner Klemperer and Joe Flynn both shine here, especially Klemperer as a cool 70's vampire. Flynn looks a lot older than 47 years old, and would tragically drown just 2 years later, but he gave a good performance as well. The funeral parlor setting was done real well, and from what I recall, it was rather eerie looking, with sinister music playing. If you paid attention, you should notice that same music was played in another episode titled "The Flip-Side of Satan", and it's perfect in both episodes. My young son was even slightly impressed with the graphics, even though it's from 1972, so there's that.
Better than Night Gallery
27 March 2019
There, I said it! The funny thing is that The Sixth Sense is MUCH better than the more celebrated Night Gallery, even though I enjoy both shows. This review isn't really meant to rip the more popular show of the 2, but they both really go hand in hand. From what I read, and it's been a while, is that TSS piggybacked off of TNG during those crazy 70's ESP years, and was not given the proper respect is most definitely deserved; in fact, if you're lucky enough to catch the show on the tube like I did a few years ago, you'll find the show severely edited, and that hurts the quality. I was skeptical about this show at first, as Gary Collins and his turtleneck and big Chevy did nothing for me, but I did become a fan soon after, as the man can actually act, plus the stories were less silly than the ahem...other show. There's also many familiar faces(I won't name all of them though), such as Will Geer, June Allyson, Joseph Campanella, Joan Crawford, Sandra Dee, John Saxon, William Shatner, Steve Forrest, Patty Duke, Larry Linville, Tom Bosley, and Jessica Walter, although there's many others. It's difficult for me to understand why this show wasn't more popular, and I suppose that adds to the charm, but I bet there's many out there who would really enjoy seeing The Sixth Sense, even for the first time. I'm just glad I recorded many episodes a few years ago, and while their severely edited, it's better than not having them!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Archie Bunker's Place: Custody: Part 2 (1981)
Season 2, Episode 11
Archie vs. Granny
21 March 2019
While I wasn't planning to spoil the ending, I see that the description of this episode already states that Archie "wins legal custody of Stephanie", which will affect my review, but oh well. It's obvious he would keep Stephanie, considering we're only a few episodes after the death of Edith, so I couldn't see him getting a double whammy, as that would be too much pain for Archie and the viewers. Look for familiar faces in Celeste Holm, who looks like Rue McClanahan, Howard Witt, who looks like Charles Nelson Reilly, Lloyd Nolan, and Jeff Altman. I'm not a huge fan of this particular show, but this isn't that bad an episode, as Carroll O'Connor displays some real acting chops, as he plays it both serious AND funny, although some of the racial comments to a black social worker got a bit tedious. The judge(Nolan)was probably the highlight, as he was serious, but added some funny quips to lighten the mood. I still miss Edith, so it's hard to give this show the proper respect, but I can't help it, as Stephanie is no substitute for Edith! Look for a weak performance from Barney, played by Allan Melvin, as he uttered forced and unfunny lines.
Hippie "werewolf"
12 March 2019
This is one of those episodes that I liked better after watching it the 2nd time, as I felt the story was fairly original, and there are several familiar faces. Some of these faces include a pre-Kung Fu David Carradine, David McCallum, Ford Rainey, and Bill Quinn. As you should by now, there are no actual "werewolves" in this segment, although I think the term was mentioned a few times, although I forget who said it. Let me also add that the attacks/chases by the "wolves", or perhaps just big dogs, was filmed rather well and convincing for 1971, as CGI wasn't around quite yet. The scene were the one wolf/big dog fends off the other 2 to help protect Dr. Winter(McCallum) was spot on, and probably my favorite scene of this episode. I also enjoyed the scene with Dr. Winter, Dr. Tom(Quinn), and Betty(Trina Parks), as they all discussed the murders going on at the asylum. Watch out for that forefinger too! That was pretty creepy looking, and it didn't look that fake either. I've never heard this finger mythology regarding the evil creatures, but kudos on it being original.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kolchak: The Night Stalker: The Ripper (1974)
Season 1, Episode 1
Kol-Jack
6 March 2019
Forgive me for the stupid title of my review, but I try to be clever sometimes. The was the official start of this short, but great series, and it definitely started with a bang, as the infamous Jack the Ripper visits the Windy City. The quick camera cuts/edits are on full display here, and it's done rather well, even though Jack was a tad more superhuman than I expected, and that was a bit of a negative to this reviewer. Look for some familiar faces in a "fat" Beatrice Colen, and Ken Lynch; regarding Colen, she's described as "fat" a few times in this episode, but by today's standards, she's just about average, but I digress. I won't spoil what happens to her character, but let's just say that it was unexpected, and that's a good thing! I forgot to mention above that Ruth McDevitt is another familiar face, but this time she plays an old geezer who thinks she saw the killer; later in the series, she would become a co-worker at INS, but as a different character. Let me add that while I liked the ending, it seemed a bit over-the-top and too easy for Kolchak to figure out. The portrayal of the Ripper himself could've had a little more pizazz to him, but all in all, this is a solid intro for what would become a fantastic and influential series.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kolchak: The Night Stalker: The Sentry (1975)
Season 1, Episode 20
Fare thee well, Carl
1 March 2019
As you probably know by now, this is the final installment of this mostly great series, and while the reptile costume did detract from a perfect closure, this episode had some fine scenes and performances to go out on a high note. The other negative aspect, other than the costume, is that I read that lead star Darren McGavin wasn't too fond of the lizard's outfit; that being said, he really gave a solid performance, as you wouldn't have known he was unhappy at all. Some familiar faces include Kathie Browne(McGavin's wife), Tom Bosley, Frank Campanella, Albert Paulsen, and Frank Marth. I especially like the beginning of the episode, which has Kolchak underground on a golf cart being chased by this creature. I think it had one of the better openers of the entire series, some really cool 70's suspense, as I'm a fan of 70's horror on television, such as Salem's Lot, Norliss Tapes, Blacula, and Night Gallery. Regarding our villain, there were some slick edits that didn't totally show the silly costume, and I wished for more of those quick cuts. The worst shot to me was when the lizard's feet were shown, and it looked so fake and laughable, that I was embarrassed. There were also a few scenes of the entire costume, and it was done rather poorly. If you can overlook this, what you'll get is another solid episode with fine performances from quirky characters. My favorite moments was when Kolchak was escaping with his golf cart, and how eerie the underground lair was.
Holy toothbrush, Batman!
13 February 2019
I consider myself a veteran of horror films from the late 70's to the early 80's, so that time frame is in my wheelhouse, and this fits right into that category. While nothing in this mainly forgotten film has the wow factor, it also doesn't have the typical boring formula that plagued so many horror films around that time. This movie's "mausoleum" subject matter was sandwiched between other films of similar subject matter, such as Phantasm(1979), and Mausoleum(1983). The familiar faces include a serious acting Adam West, and Meg Tilly, as this was one of her first starring roles. I'm sure you know the plot by now, so I'll skip the details, but I felt the Raymar character was different from the standard "bad" guys in the horror genre, although the purple rays emanating from his eyes were a tad overdone when the madness and mayhem break out. I do feel the PG rating hurt, and perhaps that's a reason why it doesn't get the attention it probably deserves. Let me also mention I'm glad there wasn't the pointless nude scene, as films in that era were known for, but perhaps something could've been added to get an R rating. If you get the chance to catch this rarity, and you're a fan of the genre like me, then by all means spend the 90 minutes of your life deciding if this is worth your time. I'm glad I did.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kolchak: The Night Stalker: Mr. R.I.N.G. (1975)
Season 1, Episode 12
An early Michael Myers?
8 January 2019
While this isn't my favorite episode of this mostly legendary series, it appears that the villain could have been a precursor to the more famous killer named Michael Myers, although I wonder if John Carpenter would ever admit to it, but save that for another day. Without going into the plot too much, since you are probably aware of it by now, the "robot" had the mannerisms and even look of the aforementioned Myers, especially the plain white face for a scene or two, and the way it hides in the shadows. I was a wee lad in the 70's, and I bet if I saw this "robot" back then, it probably would've scared me; that being said, it almost seemed a bit comical compared to what I've been used to seeing in the horror genre since then, but that doesn't detract too much from a fairly solid story. Watch for familiar faces in Julie Adams and Corrine Camacho, who were both decent. Let me add that my biggest gripe was the final demise of our killer, as it seemed too quick for me, considering that there was ample opportunity by the police to act much sooner, although I won't spoil the ending. See if you feel the same as I do.
Hell hath no fury...
26 November 2018
My summary line can be viewed as having a double meaning, as both protagonists cause our main character, Justus Walters, to go borderline insane. Walters is played brilliantly by Patrick O'Neal, an actor whom I feel deserved more accolades over the years, but I digress. The segment starts with a rather creepy painting, as Mr. Serling informs us of "arachnophobia", something Justus happens to have. The other two guest stars both give fine performances, so let's give a shout out to Kim Stanley and Tom Pedi(who?); anyway, they were both very enjoyable. I actually enjoyed this episode better than I did a few years ago, when I poked fun at the large spider, but it looked less fake this time around; in fact, I wish they showed more of the hairy thing, but leaving more to the imagination is also a good thing. Let me also mention that actor John Astin directed this segment. The ending could've been handled a bit better though, and that detracts from this segment somewhat, but overall, it was done rather well. It's not in my top episodes for Night Gallery, but give it a view if you get the chance to watch it.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All in the Family: The Elevator Story (1972)
Season 2, Episode 14
How did this get past the censors?
23 October 2018
This incredibly funny episode is so politically incorrect, I have to wonder how it was allowed to air? There's no way it would air by today's standards, right or wrong, but thankfully graced our television sets back in 1972. I'd probably call this my favorite episode, as there were several notable faces, such as Hector Elizondo, Roscoe Lee Browne, and Eileen Brennan, and they all had memorable lines, and added their talents to this wonderful story. The gist has Archie, Edith, Gloria, and Mike celebrating Edith's birthday at a restaurant, although Archie discovers that an insurance bill needs to be paid by that night, and he must rush to a local office, which also happens to be in the same building as the restaurant. He takes the elevator where all these characters are, and soon after, the elevator gets stuck between floors, and chaos ensues. Some of the lines uttered, not just by Archie, may be a tad politically incorrect for sensitive ears, but they are just too funny to ignore. Perhaps the only downer for me was Edith getting publicly drunk, and while it was cute at first, it just seemed a bit forced after that. Other than that small mention, this is simply a great elevator ride.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Archie Bunker's Place: The Business Manager (1981)
Season 3, Episode 2
How the mighty have fallen
20 September 2018
Let me preface this review by mentioning that "All in the Family" is one of my favorite shows(most seasons, but not all), so it pains me to have to write a negative piece on the "sequel", but there's no getting around it. The one-liners are tired by now, and Archie's complaints in the bar don't work as well as they do in the Bunker's home, at least in my eyes. Anyway, this unfunny episode has the bar in financial trouble for whatever reason, and Archie's lawyer insists Archie hire a business manager, played by a wooden Steve Hendrickson, to help sort things out and save the bar from being forced to shut down. A few interesting tidbits worth mentioning is that Hendrickson didn't have much of an acting career after this show, although he was brought back in the next episode the very next week, both were in 1981, and his next acting credit wasn't until 1988, and hardly anything else after that. Also, Archie's lawyer is Abe Rabinowitz, and if you recall, during "All in the Family", Archie hired Solomon Rabinowitz for another case. Lastly, this particular episode hardly had any honest funny moments, and I think at this junction in the series, a laugh track was used instead of the show being filmed live, but I'm not 100% certain. Even the ending of this episode was pretty lame, and I had feeling it was meant to be a type of cliffhanger, but I thought it fell flat.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Read the novel first
14 September 2018
Even though I did read the novel first, it still took me a few minutes to get the gist of what was going on, as scenes moved with perhaps too quick of a pace. I feel anyone seeing this film before reading the novel beforehand may become a bit confused. A few negatives for me was that this film reminded me too much of "Van Helsing"(2004), with too much special effects and little else; also, the ending was different and less effective that the superior novel's ending. Lastly, there's no John Wilkes Booth to be found at all, and that was the biggest disappointment, as his final meeting with Henry(novel)is a great moment, but it was foolishly ignored in the film. All of that being said, this was an entertaining film, with decent performances, especially by Dominic Cooper(Henry), and Rufus Sewell(Adam), and I also liked some of the vampire transformations. I wished there were more scenes with Henry, a "good" vampire, if you will, and some mention of Booth, as I stated above. If you think this is a film you want to watch, I would highly recommend reading the novel first, as it's an easy read, and you may learn things about the great Abraham Lincoln that you never knew about, as I did.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Night Gallery: The Return of the Sorcerer (1972)
Season 3, Episode 1
kiss the toad
27 August 2018
I can understand Noel's(Bill Bixby)aversion for kissing the toad, but he kisses Fern(Patricia Sterling)after she kisses the toad, so I guess in reality, he does in fact kiss the toad. Now that's over with, let me speak a bit about this odd Vincent Price segment. Price is in fine form as a strange sorcerer named John Carnby, who hires Noel to translate an Arabic book in order to do weird things, which you probably read about already, although Noel's hesitant to accept the job offer at first. The version I saw seemed to have been edited from the original format, so there's some unanswered questions, which is frustrating, and is typical for this series, but I did enjoy this episode for the most part, especially Price, a black goat, and the eerie interior shots of the house/castle. This has a Roger Corman feel to it, which adds to the eyes. Jeannot Szwarc(Jaws 2)directed this episode, and he's also directed 18 other Night Gallery episodes.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
kept me entertained
5 June 2018
Someone on the forum for this film made a nice comment a while back, for which I'll paraphrase: he or she said something how the film "Airplane" was for airports as "Comedy of Terrors" is for undertakers. I couldn't have said it any better myself, even though I would've liked a few creepy scenes, considering the fine horror ensemble, and even a cat thrown in there, but this was 100% comedy. You know the cast by now, so I'll skip those details, but Vincent Price and Peter Lorre had fine chemistry together. If I knew this was a pure comedy and nothing to do with horror, I probably would've skipped the film, but I didn't know Price and Lorre could be just as entertaining as they were in "Tales of Terror", even though the latter is a better film. The only real negatives I can think of is Joyce Jameson's annoying singing, even though I know it was done on purpose, but it got tedious, as did Basil Rathbone's routine of rising from the dead. I don't think this film did too well at the box office, as plans for a sequel were nixed, but there are some truly funny moments by veteran horror actors that may be worth seeing.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Coach: Dauber Graduates (1991)
Season 3, Episode 13
Dumb Dauber
8 March 2018
It's hard to get annoyed with Dauber(Bill Fagerbakke)usually, but he wins the prize here, as he goes out of character to annoy both Coach Fox and me! The gist has Dauber finally graduating college, even though he mentions "diploma", which I thought was only for high school, and Coach Fox and Luther are extremely happy for him, as was I. While Dauber's supposed to be getting Coach Fox's truck washed, he decides to turn around and refuses to wash the truck, as he feel's the chore is beneath him, since he's now a graduate. Never mind that Coach Fox has carried Dauber's butt for many years while he studied, but the coach has reason to be miffed at this defiance. I think Coach Fox was even prepared to make Dauber a full time assistant coach, which is a nice perk, but Dauber acted like a spoiled jerk, and totally out of character. The next part of the story has the coach wanting to skip Dauber's graduation ceremony, and look for a few mediocre performances from 8 feet tall Pam Stone, and someone named Karen Bankhead. Stone's acting career(thankfully)seemed to come to an end after this show, so there's that. Next, there's the "will he or won't he" angle to see if Coach Fox attends the graduation ceremony, and I'll let you find out next time you watch it, but you probably know the answer already. The ending's a bit predictable, but you can sense both anger and disappointment from our beloved coach.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All in the Family: Mike's Problem (1971)
Season 2, Episode 9
Mike's double exam
10 August 2017
This semi-funny, but solid episode has Mike nervous about taking college exams, and this anxiety leads to a failing grade in the bedroom. Gloria's very understanding, and a funny moment is when she tries to talk to her mother about a sexual problem, for which Edith struggles to handle such a delicate topic. It's also funny when Edith tries telling Archie about it, and his advice to Mike doesn't exactly inspire confidence. There's even one more funny scene, and it revolves around Archie and Henry Jefferson(Mel Stewart)at the bar, when Archie asks his "friend" how black folks have a certain "moxie" in the sex department, and Henry's answer is probably the best moment of this episode. I just remembered another funny moment right after a nervous Mike comes home after finishing his exams, and gets to meet Gloria, and has yet take another exam with her, if you get my meaning. She has one thing on her mind, but he's trying to stall her, so he wants to watch "Attack of the Sand Crab", which he sees inside the TV listings guide. After this moment, the show ends on a rather cute note.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Magnum, P.I.: The Arrow That Is Not Aimed (1983)
Season 3, Episode 13
Magnum and Mako
8 August 2017
This segment has Magnum working with an old Samurai warrior(you read right)to locate a valuable plate that was stolen from the Japanese palace where Tozan(Mako)was guarding. The rub here is that this warrior's code involves suicide, mainly because he failed in his duty to protect this very expensive plate. Magnum does his best to help Tozan, and obviously talk the warrior out of killing himself. There's some comic relief revolving around dog repellent, and watching how T.C. and Rick react to the samurai angle, but nothing that memorable really happens. The fight scenes with Tozan taking on 5 or 6 others with swords was underwhelming, and a tad pedestrian, although I do enjoy Mako as an actor, as you'll see him all over the tube. To conclude, I'll say this wasn't among my favorite episodes, but it had a different angle and plot which may interest fans of this fine show.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Magnum, P.I.: Mr. White Death (1982)
Season 3, Episode 8
Magnum and McHale's problem
1 August 2017
This entertaining episode stars the great Ernest Borgnine as a "professional" wrestler, who enlists Magnum's help to help locate his son, who he hasn't seen in over 30 years. I question "professional" because he performs in flea bag halls to wrestle, but there's a reason for that, and you'll have to find out for yourself why. A big reason why I enjoyed this is because Rick, T.C., and Higgins are all involved, and that adds to any episode, and don't forget the lads! Poor Rick takes several beatings too. Wrestling fans will probably enjoy this episode more than some other fans of the show, but Borgnine is worth the price of admission. An odd surprise has Higgins and Earl(Borgnine)having more in common than you'd think, and there's even a funny nickname involved, which I won't spoil here. Add in the mob angle, as their chasing after Earl, and a touching moment at the end with his son, and overall, what we get is a solid episode with added star power in the great Ernest Borgnine.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Magnum, P.I.: Computer Date (1982)
Season 2, Episode 13
Slick Rick
7 July 2017
The most notable aspect for me in this episode is how sleazy and mean Rick is, especially to Magnum, who's really not at fault. I just found out that Larry Manetti(Rick)is actually married to the woman named Claudia Randolph, who he has an affair with. Her real name is Nancy DeCarl, and they've been married since 1980. Small world, isn't it? The other familiar faces include Charles Aidman, and Jeff MacKay, who plays the quirky "Mac", as Magnum once again enlists his help on this current case. Consider Magnum's surprise when he spots Rick as the man whom the married woman is having an affair with; Magnum was hired by a suspecting husband to "spy" on his wife, although he quits the job after he discovers it's Rick involved. When Rick finds out, he acts like a jerk, and probably slightly unrealistic, considering the years they've been friends. After the dust finally settles by the end, I would've liked if he apologized to Magnum, and even though he never did on camera, we can assume he did by the way they were back to their old selves again. This has a nice two tier story going on, maybe a third, if you consider Higgin's old flame stopping by the estate, and it's funny watching him try to get in shape. Finally, look for a cool Porsche 928 during a car chase.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Magnum, P.I.: Wave Goodbye (1981)
Season 2, Episode 7
good cop, bad cop?
29 June 2017
This episode has Magnum investigating the death of some flirty surfer girl named Kacy, who he's supposedly friends with, but something about her death irks him. Interestingly enough, this is Diane Crowley's(Kacy)final acting credit, and 8 months after this episode was aired, Vic Morrow(Sgt. Jordan)would be tragically killed on the set of a movie. Curse you John Landis! While I'm discussing the other characters, I felt the most memorable performance was by Wings Hauser, who played Nick, a veteran of the Vietnam War, and suspect of Kacy's death. The scenes between he and Magnum were both sad and touching, as Magnum tries his best to get him proper care in a hospital, as he's homeless and plagued by past demons from the war. There was only 1 scene with Higgins unfortunately, and I thought the ending could've been a bit more dramatic, but overall, I was pleased with most of this episode.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Columbo: Strange Bedfellows (1995)
Season 13, Episode 1
Old-Timers Day
15 March 2017
The most notable aspect for me was the familiar faces in this episode, which include fine performances by both George Wendt and Rod Steiger, and watch for regulars John Finnegan, and the final appearance of Bruce Kirby. Wendt is the real star here, as he's just a few years removed from a memorable run on "Cheers", and he's very convincing in a murderous role here. Steiger is also in fine form as a mob boss, as he warns Columbo that he'll give him time to arrest Graham(Wendt), but if that fails, then he'll take care of matters himself and that won't be pretty. Without giving too much away, this ending plot borrows heavily from "A Case of Immunity", which is a fine episode from 1975, and I could see this conclusion coming a mile away, especially them giving the same "thumbs-up" gestures, so that drops this episode down a few pegs. As someone else said, this isn't the best Columbo film in the stable(pun intended), but it's passable, and instead of Wendt raising a glass of beer, this time he's raising a gun.