Reviews

Whereas David Fincher's Seven 1995 received accolades, this masterpiece went unnoticed.
10 June 2019
This film counts as among the best movies I have ever seen. It is a solid revenge based thriller, with tense drama and terrific performances by Gerard Butler and Jamie Foxx. Indeed these two actors will be remembered for this film when they are no longer in this world.

The plot of the movie is about a man Clyde Shelton(Gerard Butler) whose wife and daughter are murdered right before his eyes as he remains incapacitated by his attackers. Afterwards he seeks help from the law - particularly his attorney Nick Rice(played by Jamie Foxx). To his great distraught he finds that one of his attackers Clarence Darby(Christian Stolte) has cooperated by giving a full confession of the crime and putting all the blame on his partner Rupert Ames(Josh Stewart) who was innocent. Rupert promptly gets the death penalty by lethal injection and whereas Clarence is given a reduced sentence of manslaughter in the third degree and sentenced to only five years of imprisonment.

Outraged by all of this, Cylde seeks justice against the entire judicial system in his own brand of justice...

Verdict: this movie is a stylish A-grade thriller in the same vein as Fincher's Seven(1995). Acting, directing, photography is top-notch. The excellent screenplay is by Kurt Wimmer who has written great screenplays for movies like One Man's Justice 1995, Sphere 1998, The Thomas Crown Affair 1999 and Equilibrium 2002. F. Gary Gray is a superb director who has directed another good thrillerT he Negotiator (1998). Brian Theodore Tyler who has done all the music of The Fast And The Furious Franchise, handles the background music and effects exceptionally well. I highly recommend this movie for your collection.
Creed II (2018)
Even worse than the previous film Creed(2015).
21 February 2019
This new installment, the continuing second part of the Creed saga follows newly crowned heavyweight champion Adonis Creed defending his title against the son of the man that killed his father.

This is the main plot device of the film, but very poorly executed. We see characters from Rocky IV returning, Dolph Lundgren and Brigitte Nielsen who has aged badly.

The film is more of an emotional drama film than an action-packed feature. I found the training and boxing choreography very substandard. Cinematography is excellent - the director of photography Kramer Morgenthau did his job well. Also music in the film is well handled by Ludwig Göransson. All the actors play their part but the main actors are ill used. Dolph Lundgren and Bridgette Neilsen are not given enough screen time. Also I don't like the actor they chose to be the son of Drago - he looks nothing like him.

The script is the dullest part. This is a two hour film and one you would never see twice. Even though Michael B. Jordan gives his best here, the overall fight scenes of the movie does not live up to the high expectations of fans of Rocky.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another very disturbing movie by Lars Von Trier paralleling his earlier work Antichrist(2009).
20 December 2018
This is not how I would like to remember Matt Dillon. I would however like to remember him for the role he played in the film The Saint of Fort Washington(1993).

I have only watched one movie of Lars von Trier called Antichrist(2009). And I didn't even like that movie. This film can be classified as a serial killer movie. The main character of the film called simply "Jack", is a person that suffers from a compulsive personality disorder that prompts him to kill people and then arrange them into artwork. He then photographs his so-called art.

My favorite movies are based on real-life serial killers. Ted Bundy(The Deliberate StrangerTV Movie 1986), John Wayne Gacy(To Catch a Killer TV Movie 1992), Jeffery Dahmer(The Secret Life 1993), Henry Lee Lucas(Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 1986), Ed Gain(Deranged 1974), Andrei Chikatilo(Citizen X 1995, Evilenko 2004), Albert Fish(The Gray Man 2007), Carl Panzram(Killer: A Journal of Murder 1995), John Reginald Christie(10 Rillington Place 1971). Note these movies are very disturbing, watch them with a strong heart - when you watch these film pray for the souls of the hapless victims taken before their time.

Verdict: Matt Dillon's acting is 10/10 as always. Uma Thurman gives a small cameo. I think she's still very beautiful and she's one of my favorite actresses. Bruno Ganz(Nosferatu The Vampyre 1979) another favorite of mine give a very moving performance as Verge. Verge alludes to Virgil, a poet and Dante's guide through Hell and Purgatory. There are a lot of philosophical allusions throughout the movie that life is evil and soulless. The direction by Lars von Trier enforces this.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
12 Round Gun (2017)
An ex-boxer overcomes his alcoholism to avenge the suicide of his only son.
19 December 2018
After his son his fatally blinded in a boxing match and later commits suicide, his father seeks redemption in a return boxing match against the boxer who blinded his son.

This film is a very moving boxing drama film. I have seen many boxing films in my youth, the Sylvester Stallone Rocky movies and Gladiator(1992) among the more prominent. Triumph of the Spirit(1989), Brutal Glory(1989), Rocky Marciano(1999) and Facing Ali(2009) are also good boxing biopics.

The movie is about Joe Romano(played by Sam Upton who also directs the movie), an alcoholic ex-boxer who suffers from bouts of delirium tremens(DT) when he is unable to get drink. When his son loses his championship and is left permanently because his opponent cheated by removing the padding from his gloves, he makes a heroic effort to overcome his alcoholism and get revenge.

The film shows that we are human - we make bad choices in life that we regret. Sometimes we are able to rectify them and the film mainly deals with this aspect. We see scenes of Joe teaching his young son Tommy how to box and all the happy moments they shared together. These memories are brutally over as Tommy takes a handgun to his head and shoots.

We see Joe totally heartbroken sobbing uncontrollably with no one to console him. He turns his only friend, a man called Jimmy(Mark Boone Junior) who helps him and sets him up on the right path. The film is to my belief among the most moving films I have seen to date, and is above the trashy films Hollywood is churning out this days. The film also starts abruptly and there are a lot of plot holes and questions left unanswered and left to your imagination.

I rate this film a solid 7/10 and well worth a watch. You can also watch the above movies I have listed.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid sequel to the original.
20 November 2018
I was well entertained on Sunday when I watched the film. Denzel Washington is a favorite actor of mine. I have seen such good films of his in the past: Philadelphia(1993), The Pelican Bried(1993), Crimson Tide(1995), Virtuosity(1995), Fallen(1998), The Bone Collector(1999), The Hurricane(1999),Training Day(2001), John Q(2002) and many more...

I am also a great fan of director Antoine Fuqua and I love his style of direction. The movie continues from the previous one, Robert McCall(Washington) now lives in a diverse apartment complex in urban Massachusetts. He is working as a Lyft driver and assists the less fortunate with the help of his friend, Susan Plummer. One day, Susan and DIA operative Dave York, McCall's former teammate, are called to investigate an apparent murder-suicide of an agent and his wife in Brussels. When the two separate after reaching their hotel, Susan is murdered in an apparent robbery. When he receives the news, McCall begins to investigate both her death and the case she was investigating.

The action sequences in the film, background sound-effects and cinematography are extremely well executed. Antoine is a director with great vision and you can see that in all his movies. Denzel gives another excellent performance and his acting is very convincing. I give the film a rating of 8/10 because the film is a solid entertainer and held my attention the whole time.
35 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Predator (2018)
Shane Black puts the final nail in the Predator's coffin.
17 November 2018
Despite the negative reviews, I decided to watch the film. This can be considered the fifth film of the franchise(including the two Alien crossover movies).

You can see where the director went wrong. Not sticking to the formula that made the first film so great - Predator was an inferior species vs. superior species battle. Dutch killed the Predator in the first movie using stone-age weapons and traps, despite the predator having a laser-cannon.

Also in the background we hear fragments of Alan Silvestri's epic score from the original film. In my humble opinion John Mctiernan should have directed this film as a homage to the loyal fans of his film. The late Stan Winston who also designed the predator suit will be sorely missed.

Verdict: the C.G.I. effects look very "fake" and spoil instances in the film when the action really gets going. Alien weaponry is basically the same - no new weapons used. Boyd Holbrook of Narcos TV series fame is a competent actor, but doesn't have the physique nor the charisma of Arnold Schwarzenegger. The main reason the Predator fails as a movie is because the writers tried to do something new and it backfired on them.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad Samaritan (2018)
A superb edge of your seat dark-thriller directed by the talented Dean Devlin.
10 September 2018
I am a longtime admirer of Dean Devlin. In the cult sci-fi movie Moon 44 (1990), he gave a very good acting performance. He was instrumental for the scripts of Universal Soldier(1992), Stargate(1994), Independence Day(1996 and it's sequel Independence Day Resurgence 2016), Gozilla(1998), and Geostorm(2017 which he also produced and directed).

With such a track record as above, it's a wonder why he is not directing even bigger projects.

Plot: A young valet breaks into a man's home and discovers a terrified woman who's chained and gagged. After notifying the police, he soon becomes the target of the psychopath's wrath as he tries to rescue the victim that he left behind.

Acting-wise, I was more impressed with the lead villain played by David Tennant than the hero. The suspense was also good as well as the climax. Overall I enjoyed the film. I hope to see even more good films directed by Dean.

Thanks for reading my review, live long and prosper.

More films to see: Copycat(1995), Bone Daddy (1998), The Bone Collector (1999), Memoir Of A Murderer(2017), Boarding school(2018).
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very unique and dark suspense-thriller directed by Boaz Yakin.
10 September 2018
In this period of stagnant and generic Hollywood trash, it is sometimes refreshing that a talented director comes along with a fresh idea.

The film has a very talented newcomer: Luke Prael, who plays the central character. Also seasoned and versatile veteran actor Will Patton who is my personal favorite, gives another powerful performance. The rest of the cast blends in wonderfully.

The plot of the film consists of a boy caught cross-dressing with his dead grandmothers old clothes. He is immediately sent to a boarding school run by an eccentric headmaster(Will Patton) and his wife. At the boarding school he encounters similarly disturbed children like himself. Watch the film to find out what happens next...

The film is beautifully photographed and directed. The sound-effects are on par with a film. The script holds up well and we gradually see the plot developing before our very eyes.

More thrillers you may like: The Silence of the Lambs(1991), Copycat(1995), Bone Daddy(1998), The Bone Collector(1999).

Thank you for reading my review. May you live long and prosper.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hellraiser: Judgment (2018 Video)
I would've wished Clive Barker would have directed this rather than Gary J. Tunnicliffe.
2 September 2018
A very disappointing entry to the Hellraiser film franchise which began in 1987. Only the first film of this legendary franchise is credited to the genius of Clive Barker. He has also directed some other good films: Nightbreed(1990) and The Lord Of Illusions(1995).

Gary J. Tunnicliffe needs no introduction. I consider him among the best special-effects men in the market today. But as a director he is lacking severely. Maybe it has to do with the lackluster script...

Plot: Detectives Sean and David Carter are on the case to hunt down a gruesome serial killer who is terrorizing the city. Joining forces with Detective Christine Egerton, they dig deeper into a maze of horror, which may lead them into the depths of hell.

Verdict: there is some new special-effects that have not been seen in any of the other films of this franchise. So you must not overlook this one.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I still prefer the original 2012 Avengers movie.
2 September 2018
This is the full live-action film debut of Thanos(voice-acted by Josh Brolin of No Country For Old Men fame). The film's plot seems heavily inspired from the works of J. R. R. Tolkien. Namely: The Lord Of The Rings.

Plot: Iron Man, Thor, the Hulk and the rest of the Avengers unite to battle their most powerful enemy yet -- the evil Thanos. On a mission to collect all six Infinity Stones, Thanos plans to use the artifacts to inflict his twisted will on reality. The fate of the planet and existence itself has never been more uncertain as everything the Avengers have fought for has led up to this moment..

This movie like all the other movies before it relies heavily on modern C.G.I. graphics. These days Hollywood movies use C.G.I.(Computer Generated Imagery) like a crippled man uses his crutches. And also beefed up sound-effects...

All the actors play their roles as programmed R.P.G. characters play out in a video game. There is a lack of casting and acting talent these days in Hollywood. Indeed this era is the most uninspiring compared to the legendary 80's era, where some of the greatest movie to ever grace the silver screen were made.

Verdict: I would recommend this film as a time-pass sort of movie where you have nothing to do but kill time(figuratively speaking).
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rampage (2018)
The film is loosely based on the city-smashing game of the same name by Midway Games
1 September 2018
I saw the trailer first before watching the film. I am not a very big fan of the Rock(Dwayne Douglas Johnson) as an actor, however I respect all that he has achieved as a wrestler. I prefer to watch his comedy roles in films rather than his action roles.

That said, back to reviewing this film. It belongs to the big-monster movie genre. Commonest examples are the King Kong and Godzilla movies. Later on the Spielberg directed the dinosaur film Jurassic Park 1993 that became the box-office number one movie of that year.

The plot consists of a banned genetic test done aboard a space-lab which goes awry. The lab explodes in space, however debris consisting of a mutating chemical agent land on earth at various locations and are consumed by animals. Watch the film to find out what happens next...

Verdict: the action sequences are good and the movie fails from becoming a bore. Dwayne Johnson gives a very good performance as the lead actor. Alongside him Naomie Harris also gives a good acting performance.
Criminal (2016)
If you're a Kevin Costner fan, don't miss this great film.
1 September 2018
I missed watching this film in 2016, I saw it in September 2018. The majority of film critics gave this film a negative review however as of 1st September 2018 it holds a rating of 6.3 which is a score given to good films.

The film reprises three A grade actors Kevin Costner, Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Oldman who last worked together in the film JFK(1991). Here all three actors give thoroughly professional performances.

Plot: When Spanish industrialist-turned-anarchist Xavier Heimdahl arranges for his associate Jan Strook-a hacker known as "the Dutchman"-to create a wormhole program that would allow the owner to bypass all computer codes protecting the world's nuclear defense codes, the Dutchman panics and attempts to hand his secret over to the CIA. He makes contact with London-based agent Bill Pope, but although Pope is able to get the Dutchman to a safe house and recover the money to pay him for his services, he is caught by Heimdahl's men and tortured to death before he can tell anyone where he hid the Dutchman.

Desperate to find the Dutchman, Pope's CIA supervisor Quaker Wells contacts Dr. Micah Franks, who has developed a treatment that could theoretically plant the memory patterns of a dead man onto a living one. Keeping Pope's brain stimulated to preserve its knowledge, Franks requests that convict Jerico Stewart be the subject of the procedure, as Stewart's criminal behavior is the result of childhood brain trauma leaving him with an underdeveloped frontal lobe, hindering his emotional development and impulse control, that they can use to "graft" Pope's knowledge into Stewart's mind.

See the film to find out what happens next...

Verdict: I enjoyed the film immensely. The direction was spot on and the background sound-effects enhanced the film. Photography was exceptional as well. Ariel Vromen who directs the film has also made another good film called The Iceman(2012), based on the true story of longtime notorious hitman Richard Kuklinski.

I also recommend these movies for you to see: Memento(2000), The Final Cut (2004), Source Code(2011), Rememory(2017).
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Death Wish (2018)
If You've Already Seen Death Sentence(2007) Directed By James Wan, Then Don't Waste Your Time On This Cr*p.
4 June 2018
This movie is supposed to be an updated version of the 1974 cult movie Death Wish directed by Michael Winner and starring the legendary actor Charles Bronson. In this film, Bruce Willis(of Die Hard fame) takes over that iconic role that Bronson played. This movie can be classed as an action-thriller-vigilante. There are also other vigilante films like The Exterminator(1980 Starring Robert Ginty), Vigilante(1982 starring Tom Forster), Fighting Back(1982 starring Tom Skerrit), The Gladiator(1986 TV Starring Ken Wahl), and of course The Punisher(1989 based on the Marvel comic book character and starring Dolph Lundgren as the title character).

Plot of the film: during a burglary, Dr. Paul Kersey's(Bruce Willis) wife is shot dead and his daugter left in a comatose condition because of an injury to the head. As the police are unable to find the perpetrators, Paul takes matters into his own hands to avenge the death of his wife.

The movie is directed by Eli Roth who is a specialist in dark thriller/horror movies like Cabin Fever(2002), Hostel (2005), The Green Inferno(2013) and Inglourious Basterds(2009). He also directed an adult psychological drama film starring Keanu Reeves called Knock, Knock(2015). After watching Death Wish(2018), I get the feeling Eli didn't appreciate the quality of Michael Winner's direction nor the level of performance of Charles Bronson. Bruce Willis at age 63 has no more to give. His acting is emotionless and robotic. Veteran actor Vincent D'Onofrio, age 58, is also equally uninspiring. The best actor of the film is Dean Norris(of Breaking Bad TV series fame), but he has a small role in the movie. The action sequences of the film are okay but not phenomenal. I liked the older film better than the modern remake. And if you think about it Death Sentence directed by James Wan is among the best vigilante/revenge film we are likely to see...
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I expected better, but Adam Green manages to kill off his franchise.
16 April 2018
This fourth installment following hatchet 3(2013), is among the worst horror films I have seen. The script is pointless and the special effects compared the previous three movies are a joke. All of Green's movies have some female nudity and sex scenes and this one is no exception.

Plot in brief: The survivor of the Crowley massacre Andrew Yong (Parry Shen) appears on his ex-wife, Sabrina's, show The Sabrina Show, to promote his new book about the events. Sabrina announces an exclusive book signing to take place later that day. Andrew's manager Kathleen (Felissa Rose) gets him a deal that will gain him almost a million dollars if he returns to the place where the massacre occurred with a filming crew accompanying them. Watch the film to find out what happens next...

Verdict: the previous three Hatchet movies were all well written and the special effects and casting were good. This is the worst horror I have seen and I would not recommend it to anyone. The casting is the worst and Parry Shen doesn't manage to give a good performance as he did in the previous movies. The rest of the cast is awful and pointless. Kane Hodder who plays the character Victor Crowley returns for his fourth appearance. Kane's acting is professional but the dull script does nothing to enhance his character. The background sound-effects are okay and the photography is also decent. I thought this horror film would delve more into the back-story of Victor Crowley but I was disappointed that this film was just a cheap gimmick to earn some quick cash. I will never watch another movie directed by Adam Green again.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Commuter (I) (2018)
A very good action-thriller starring my favorite action Liam Neeson.
11 April 2018
The majority of Liam Neeson movies that I have seen are excellent. And some are cult status like Darkman(1990) directed by Sam Raimi and the historical epic Rob Roy (1995). Liam Neeson gained a lot of fame later in his career for his role in Taken(2008).

Back to this film. The film's premise is derivative of another film Nick of Time(1995) directed by acclaimed director John Badham.

Plot in brief: Insurance salesman Michael is on his daily commute home, which quickly becomes anything but routine. After being contacted by a mysterious stranger, Michael is forced to uncover the identity of a hidden passenger on the train before the last stop. As he works against the clock to solve the puzzle, he realizes a deadly plan is unfolding, and he is unwittingly caught up in a criminal conspiracy that carries life and death stakes for everyone on the train.

Verdict: the casting is superb. Direction, background sound-effects, camera-work are well handled. Liam Neeson carries the whole film from start to finish. Vera Farmiga has a very small appearance in the film, but her acting is thoroughly professional and the role given to her fits. Jaume Collet-Serra has directed some very good movies like the horror film Orphan (2009) and another survival horror film The Shallows (2016).

He has also directed other Liam Neeson films: Unknown (2011), Non-Stop (2014), and Run All Night (2015).

Thank you for reading my review, live long and prosper.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Too Bad, But Not Too Good Either.
9 April 2018
The first movie in the franchise Justice League. This film also may be linked with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

We find Ezra Matthew Miller, who had a cameo in B.V.S. Dawn Of Justice getting a full role as "The Flash". Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Gal Gadot reprise their respective superhero roles. Joseph Jason Namakaeha Momoa also reprises his role as "Aquaman".

Plot in brief: Thousands of years ago, Steppenwolf and his legions of Parademons attempted to take over Earth with the combined energies of three Mother Boxes. They were foiled by a unified army that includes the Olympian Gods, Amazons, Atlanteans, mankind, and the Green Lantern Corps. After repelling Steppenwolf's army, the Mother Boxes were separated and hidden in locations on the planet. In the present, mankind is in mourning over Superman, whose death triggers the Mother Boxes to reactivate and Steppenwolf's return to Earth in an effort to regain favor with his master, Darkseid. Steppenwolf aims to gather the artifacts to form "The Unity", which will destroy Earth's ecology and terraform it in the image of Steppenwolf's homeworld.

Verdict: This film is okay as a time-pass film and rewatchability is also decent. I personally disliked the actor chosen for the role of Flash. The rest of the cast is okay - Ben Affleck and Gal Gadot carry their weight as do Henry Cavill and Jason Momoa. Henry Cavill has really done a rigorous body building workout for his role as Superman. Special effects are the mainstay of comic book superhero films and here it doesn't disappoint. The sound-effects are also good. Zack Snyder could have directed differently, but he took the same generic route as most of his earlier movies.
R.I.P. Carrie Fisher(1956-2016).
9 April 2018
I am writing the review for Star Wars The Last Jedi out of respect for the late Carrie Fisher who tragically passed away due to a heart attack on 27 December 2016. Her legacy will forever be immortalized in this film. I also want to say that I'm a big fan of Mark Hamill who plays the iconic character Luke Skywalker of the Star Wars franchise. This marks his fifth appearance following Star Wars The Force Awakens(2015). I respect him very much. He was my childhood hero - and still is. He gives his last best performance on screen.

Carrie Fisher gives a good final performance as Princess Leia Organa, the sister of Luke Skywalker. However these two legends are overshadowed by a mediocre cast. Currently Hollywood is suffering from a real casting problem. We had really good actors in the past like Sean Connery, Richard Burton, Charles Bronson, Charlton Heston and many others who have a physical onscreen chemistry and personalty that raises a film from mediocrity. These days we have really immature disposable diaper-generation actors and actresses. These fellows have never done any rigorous theater-work, have no concept of what is acting and are just drafted in from obscurity. I hope Hollywood deals with this crisis before people stop watching films altogether.

Plot in brief: Resistance forces, led by General Leia Organa, flee D'Qar when a First Order fleet arrives. Poe Dameron leads a costly counterattack that destroys a First Order dreadnought, but after the Resistance escapes to hyperspace, the First Order tracks them and attacks the Resistance convoy. Kylo Ren, Leia's son, hesitates to fire on the lead Resistance ship after sensing his mother's presence, but his TIE fighter wingmen destroy the bridge, incapacitating Leia. Disapproving of new leader Vice Admiral Holdo's passive strategy, Poe helps Finn, BB-8, and mechanic Rose Tico embark on a secret mission to disable the tracking device on the lead ship. Watch the film to find out what happens next...

Verdict: Special effects are the core of Star Wars film and there are some unique effects - though a vast majority of them seem generic. And not to forget the background sound-effects and theme. Direction is according to the script which is very inadequate. This is my last review for Star Wars. It was a good enjoyable ride for me from childhood to adolescence with great memories of great actors: Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Sir Alec Guinness, James Earl Jones who voiced Darth Vader, Billy Dee Williams, Kenny Baker who played R2D2 and Anthony Daniels who played C-3PO.

Thanks for reading this review. Live long and prosper.
0 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Foreigner (I) (2017)
Not even worth as a timepass film. I have seen better Jackie Chan/Pierce Brosnan movies.
22 January 2018
The Foreigner is a 2017 action thriller film directed by Martin Campbell and written by David Marconi, based on the 1992 novel The Chinaman by Stephen Leather. Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan play the main characters in the film.

The film is more or less an aftermath-revenge drama. It also shows the aspects of hidden agenda's and dirty politics present in the world today. I would not call this film an action thriller in the same light as better films of this genre Commando(1985), Die Hard(1988) and Rambo 3(1988) are good examples.

Jackie Chan's movies are known for his death-defying stunt scenes. However in this film he is lackluster. Pierce Brosnan acting talent is superb as always however the script of this film does not enhance his role.

Verdict: for me the film lacked in entertainment/rewatchability value so I would not recommend this one.
Jigsaw (I) (2017)
The latest addition to the "Saw" franchise.
22 January 2018
Directed by Michael and Peter Spierig, known for special-effects movies Undead(2003) and Daybreakers(2009). It is the eighth installment in the Saw franchise, picking up over a decade after the death of the eponymous Jigsaw killer, during the police investigation of a new succession of murders that fit his modus operandi.

Tobin Bell reprises his role as as John Kramer a.k.a. Jigsaw. The rest of the cast is mostly new to me. The background music score and sound-effects are decent as well as the photography and special-effects which are the staple of a Spierig brother's film. The acting is also decent but doesn't leave a lasting impression in your memory. There is ample gore and violence in the film to satisfy horror film fans however this film is more or less in the "forgettable" range and does little to enhance the franchise.

For me the best movie was the first one Saw (2004), directed by James Wan and written by both him and Leigh Whannel. Darren Lynn Bousman directed the sequel Saw I (2005) and later subseqent two movies Saw 3(2006) and Saw 4(2007). For me the departure of Wan from the post of director marked the slow death of the franchise, even though Bousman made a brave effort at reviving the franchise in the fourth film.

I
Geostorm (2017)
Okay disaster movie with a good cast of characters.
22 January 2018
Namely, Ed Harris, Andy Garcia, Gerard Butler and Abbie Cornish. The film is written, produced and directed by Dean Devlin, a favorite of mine as he has written scripts for great blockbuster movies like Universal Soldier(1992), Stargate(1994), Independence Day(1996) and Godzilla(1998).

The special effects of the film and tense drama along with a little mystery are the highlights of the film. The film is aimed at an international audience.

Verdict: the film was an enjoyable time-pass film. I have already seen another disaster movie called Volcano(1997) and I always compare other movies with this one. I feel Volcano is still superior to this film.
Aftermath (IV) (2017)
A sincere acting performance by my favorite actor Arnold Schwarzenegger.
17 December 2017
This is a drama-thriller film and is based on the real-life Überlingen mid-air collision, though the names, places and incidents were changed.

The film follows the events after construction worker Roman Melnyk(Arnold Schwarzenegger) finds out that the AX 112 in which with his wife and daughter were on-board, had been in an accident.

The film is decently paced with veteran actor Arnold Schwarzenegger at the reins and Scoot McNairy playing the other main role. Maggie Grace is the other female lead actress in the film and she give an overall decent performance in the film.

This is a powerful film and will leave you thinking long after you've watched it. Elliot Lester who has directed the acclaimed film Love is the Drug 2006, gives another good performance as director.
Leatherface (2017)
I consider this film disgusting in every sense of the word.
17 December 2017
In 1974 Tobe Hooper directed a horror film that cemented his name as a cult status horror director.

However my first film was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 1986, which I consider to be Hooper's masterpiece. Later on I saw Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation 1994 in which Matthew McConaughey portrayed the sadistic Vilmer Slaughter and also the first time I saw the actress Renée Zellweger.

Next on I saw the two remake films The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 and its prequel The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning 2006. Then I saw Hooper's first and original film. Lastly I saw Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 1990 directed by notable horror film directed Jeff Burr who has directed many good horror films like Offspring 1987, Puppet Master 4 1993 and Pumpkinhead 2 1994. This is a good guide for watching the Texas Chainsaw movies.

You should know that Texas Chainsaw Massacre is based on the true story Edward Theodore Gein, also known as The Butcher of Plainfield, who was an American murderer and body snatcher. Deranged 1974 is loosely based on the life of Ed Gein.

Verdict: Leatherface is meant ti be a prequel to 1974's The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, explaining the origin of the series' lead character. There is graphic gore and violence in the film as well as nudity and sex, so I would not recommend this film to anyone under the age of 18. Lili Anne Taylor and Stephen Dorff Jr. are the only veteran actors in the film. The rest of the supporting cast is mediocre. The special effects are well handled and some are very disturbing. Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo have directed some gory movies in the past as Inside 2007 and Among the Living 2014.

I feel this latest addition to the Texas Chainsaw franchise will be ill received mainly due to its perverseness.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is not the final Jeepers Creepers movie, rather a sequel to the original film, following events before Jeepers Creepers 2.
17 December 2017
They are definitely making a fourth Jeepers Creepers film and from what I've heard Gina Phillips and Ray Wise reprise their respective roles. The special effects in Jeepers Creepers 3 are good and Stan Shaw gives a tremendous performance in the film. Meg foster makes her first appearance in the Jeepers Creepers franchise and gives a thoroughly professional performance in her role as Gaylen Brandon.

The film's plot follows the events of the original 2001 film directed by Salva which starred Gina Philips, Justin Long and Patricia Belcher. The film is a bridge between Jeepers Creepers and Jeepers Creepers 2.

Verdict: Victor Salva directs his third film of the franchise, and very soon he will be filming the concluding fourth film. He directs fluidly and shows no sign of rust. I am always impressed by his style of direction and the background music of his films. The rest of the support cast is decent but not extraordinary. The special effects are a mix of C.G.I. and real costumes and creature props. Jonathan Breck plays the role of the Creeper for the third time. The pacing of the film is fast and we and never left for a dull moment in the film. Overall I give a score of 6.5/10 and consider it a decent prequel to Jeepers Creepers 2.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Batman vs. Two-Face (2017 Video)
The 60's version of Batman And Robin in a modern animated cartoon.
1 December 2017
This is the second Adam West animated feature following Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders(2016). This animated feature shows In Loving Memory Of Adam West(1928-2017) at the end of the end-credits.

Adam West is the first actor to ever play the role of Batman in a live action TV series. Before Christian Bale, George Clooney, Val Kilmer, and Michael Keaton - Adam West played the original Batman during 1966-1968.

West acted along with fellow actors Burt Ward who played Robin, Cesar Romano as The Joker, Burgess Meredith as The Penguin, Frank Gorshin as The Riddler, Lee Meriwether as Catwoman(later played by Julie Newmar) and Alan Napier as Alfred Pennyworth Batman's personal butler and friend who keeps Batman's identity a secret along with Commissioner Gordon played by Neil Hamilton.

Plot: Batman and Robin are invited to a top-secret demonstration hosted by Professor Hugo Strange and his assistant Dr. Harleen Quinzel that may eventually change the future of Gotham forever. Along the way, Batman takes a stop at Gotham State Penitentiary to visit Catwoman (whose suicide attempt from the first movie somehow failed) to give her a book on poetry by Elizabeth Barrett Browning. This is something to keep her occupied for the next 36 months of her life until she is let out of prison for good. At the laboratory, they meet district attorney and Bruce Wayne's ally in the war against crime Harvey Dent who is famous for having stopped a coin counterfeit while keeping a two faced quarter as a souvenir from the case.

Hugo Strange believes that good and evil are all but one-sided and has created an "Evil Extractor" to which the volunteering criminals Joker, Penguin, Riddler, Egghead, and Mr. Freeze, will be purified of their corruption. Batman bluffs it off, saying that there are no easy fixes to the straight and narrow path, but Strange conducts his experiment anyway, despite the fact that it will make the jobs of Batman, Robin and Harvey obsolete. All goes well until the Joker entices his compatriots to overload the machine....

Verdict: if you are fond of corny 60's style dialogue be my guest- my personal experience tells me after watching this one till the end, my brain turned into a jelly doughnut.

You want to watch better Batman animated movies? Have a look at these: Batman: Mask of the Phantasm(1993), The Batman Superman Movie: World's Finest(1997), The Batman vs. Dracula(2005), Superman/Batman: Public Enemies(2009), Batman: Under the Red Hood(2010), Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1(2012), Batman Unlimited: Mechs vs. Mutants(2016).

Thanks for reading my review. Live a long and happy life and prosper.
2 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Skip This Movie And Watch This One: The 36th Chamber of Shaolin(also has sequel Return To The 36th Chamber). Much better entertainment.
15 November 2017
I also recommend you watch the Ip Man Trilogy(2008-2010-2015) and also The Hammer of God (1970), One-Armed Boxer (1972) and The One-Armed Swordsman (1967).

Okay let's review this film. It deals with a cult status martial artist who is the greatest icon of martial arts cinema and a key figure of modern popular media. Had it not been for Bruce Lee and his movies in the early 1970s, it's arguable whether or not the martial arts film genre would have ever penetrated and influenced mainstream North American and European cinema and audiences the way it has over the past four decades.

Lee rose to fame internationally with Enter the Dragon(1973) and earlier mainstream Hong Kong movies: The Big Boss(1971), The Way of the Dragon & The Chinese Connection(1972). The Game of Death(originally 1972), his last film was was released in 1978, five years after Lee's death.

In Birth Of The Dragon, Shaolin monk and Tai Chi master Wong Jack Man arrives at San Francisco to quietly observe Lee. But one of Lee's students called Steve goes to meet him as soon as his ship docks at the harbor. However Wong Jack Man does not want to confront Lee in the hopes of a duel. However circumstances arise that causes a match between the two.

See the film and find out the outcome of the duel between Wong Jack Man and Bruce Lee...

George Nolfi does an average job at direction. I have seen better martial arts movies. Amir Mokri handles the camera well. Amir is a seasoned cinematographer with movies like Lord Of War(2005) and Man of Steel(2013) among others. Reza Safinia and H. Scott Salinas handle the music well.

Verdict: fight sequences are meager. There is an underlying love story between Lee's student Steve and a Chinese girl which fills a large part of the film. The duel between Wong Jack Man and Lee is very short and very poorly choreographed. We don't see anything of Lee's side of life other than his teaching students and a brief cameo where he acts for a movie. I consider this film a toilet paper type film(flush and go).

You may also like: Drunken Master(1978), Bloodfight(1989), Shaolin Soccer(2001). There are so many good movies but I can't name all of them. These movies are a good guide.

Thank you for reading my review, live long and prosper.