Reviews

3,095 Reviews
Well, this was mundane...
11 December 2018
Right, well when I sat down to watch "The Ghost Beyond" I must admit that I had expected more of an actual ghost movie and not just a flaccid interpretation based on "The Others". Especially taking the movie's cover/poster into consideration. But that is the purpose of the cover, isn't it? To lure in the audience...

The storyline in "The Ghost Beyond" was so very flaccid and mundane, and nothing much of anything worthwhile or remotely scary actually happened throughout the course of the movie. I managed to stick with the movie to the very end, in the hopes that it would start to pick up pace and become more interesting and more scary. It just never happened.

It should be said that the cast, albeit very small, did good jobs with their acting performances. It was just a shame that they were tied down and severely restricted by not having a proper storyline and script to work with.

As for the special effects, well don't expect to be bedazzled and blown away by what you see here. Sure, there are special effects, and they work well enough for their purposes, but for a movie made in 2018, then it just wasn't particularly spectacular.

All in all, not much to be had in "The Ghost Beyond" if you are a seasoned horror fan. I am sure that this movie will serve well for newcomers to the horror genre. Other than that, then there is very little to be had here...
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It started slow but became a really brutal movie...
11 December 2018
"Daddy's Little Girl" was somewhat of a wild card for me. I had no idea what the movie was about when I found it. I picked it up and read the synopsis. I had never heard of the movie prior to finding it.

So I decided to give it a go. The movie started out fairly slow paced and rather mundane. Actually to the point where I was about to call it quits and give up on the movie. But I decided to stick with it, since I had found it after all.

I am glad that I did, because this movie took such a drastic turn from being a mundane slow paced snoozefest to becoming the most gut wrenching movies that I have ever seen. Once the movie picked up pace it became absolutely gruesome, ghastly and grotesque. This was definitely a change of pace and events that sat well with me. And despite many of the scenes had me literally squirming and going "uuuhhhh", then it was something that was morbidly fascinating. The sheer level of realism they put into the scenes made it so entertaining - yeah, a weird thing to say, I know - but it just worked so very well in favor of the movie.

The amount of vicious gore and brutal mayhem that suddenly was introduced might be appalling to some and this is certainly not a movie suitable for everyone in the audience. I like movies that are visceral, and I must admit that "Daddy's Little Girl" was definitely the most brutal movie I have seen. It puts movies like "Saw" to shame in an instant.

"Daddy's Little Girl" is such a magnificent hidden gem. Which is a shame, because it deserves such a bigger audience.

The cast in the movie was good. I like watching movies with acting performers that I have never seen before. And I will say that the ones performing in this movie were doing good jobs.

If you haven't already seen "Daddy's Little Girl" and if you get the chance to do so. You must jump at the chance, because this movie is really quite well worth watching, and investing time and money in.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not really a Christmas classic, but still enjoyable...
9 December 2018
Right, I think I've watched "The Polar Express" twice now. So I can't really claim to say that this is a recurring Christmas movie for me. I watched it once when it was initially released back in 2004 and once again 14 years later, as my son hadn't seen it.

This animated movie has a very nice and enjoyable storyline to tell and a good plot to share. I must admit that this is actually a movie that can easily be watched over and over again during the Christmas season, year after year. I just don't do so myself.

The CGI animation in "The Polar Express" is phenomenal and it all looks very realistic, yet reminding you that it is animated CGI. And that actually really adds a layer of enjoyment to the movie.

Needless to say that "The Polar Express" enjoys having a really good cast to do the voice acting.

"The Polar Express" is fully and wholeheartedly an animated movie that the entire family can watch and enjoy together during the Christmas season. There is something for everyone to be experienced and enjoyed here, from loveable characters to action on the roof of the train, down to cheering once the train makes it to the North Pole. Yup, definitely a movie that you should watch during the Christmas season, if you haven't already seen it.

Despite it being from 2004, then "The Polar Express" has the timeless appeal to it. It just seems to never lose its luster and charm.
Demons (I) (2017)
I guess demons can even bore you to death...
9 December 2018
Right, where to begin here?...

"Demons" is a horribly slow paced movie with nothing even resembling an interesting storyline. Yeah, I kid you not. The storyline kept jumping back and forth in the past and present trying to build up a story but it just never took hold. And that meant that the movie was fast losing its ground and never really managed to get back on track. It was a steep uphill battle that the movie had no chance of overcoming.

It should be said that there was actually an interesting cast on the cast list to perform in the movie. And they acted fair enough, especially so when taking into consideration that they have literally nothing to work with here in terms of storyline and script.

I managed to endure a whole 45 minutes of utter boredom of this ordeal before I had to toss the towel in the ring from being hopelessly bored out of my mind. And I can honestly say that I am not ever going to return to finish watching the rest of the 2017 movie "Demons", it just have nothing to lure me in with and nothing to keep me interested in watching the screen.

If you enjoy horror movies, then there are far, far better choices readily available for you to watch. I can't think of a single reason why you should watch the movie, unless you know someone involved in the production of the movie, or something like that.
Little Evil (2017)
Now that is one devilish child...
9 December 2018
I hadn't heard about "Little Evil" prior to finding it. I believe it was on Netflix that we found it some time ago. I glanced through the synopsis and found that it seemed like it could be a fun horror comedy. So of course I decided to sit down and watch it.

I must admit that "Little Evil" actually turned out to be rather enjoyable. It seemed like a wonderful spoof on the classic "The Omen" movie with that devil child Damien in it. For better or worse, then "Little Evil" actually pulled this off well enough and managed to stay original throughout the course of its playtime.

It was a funny story that was presented to the audience, and the characters in the movie were quite likable and they were brought to life on the screen by a selection of actors and actresses that performed quite well, taking the genre into consideration.

"Little Evil" had fairly adequate special effects, which did help to carry the movie and make it all the more enjoyable. Sure, this wasn't blockbuster CGI effects that will blow you away, but they worked out well enough as intended.

If you haven't seen "Little Evil" already and have the chance, then do take the time to sit down and do so, especially if you do enjoy a good horror comedy spoof.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deviating from the first movie, but still rather enjoyable...
9 December 2018
When I found this movie, I must admit that I didn't even know that it existed. Yeah, well I can't really claim to be keeping up with news circulating about the "Cloverfield" universe.

I enjoyed the first movie, so of course I wanted to see this movie as well. And I did enter the movie with no expectations to it. But let me tell you that I was more than genuinely impressed and entertained with what I witnessed here. While the movie deviated a lot from the predecessor, it was still quite an entertaining movie.

The storyline in "10 Cloverfield Lane" was quite intense, from the very beginning up to the very end. So the writer and director really managed to enthrall me with this movie. And I love how the audience is kept in the dark about what is the truth and what is falsehoods.

"10 Cloverfield Lane" had a rather nice cast, despite it being a very limited cast with only a handful of people on the list. I was especially impressed with John Goodman's performance in the movie, and he really carried the movie almost singlehandedly.

This is definitely a movie that is worth sitting down to watch and investing some time and money in. I was genuinely entertained with "10 Cloverfield Lane", which is more than I can say for the third movie in the franchise.
Smallfoot (2018)
Fun for the entire family...
4 December 2018
I watched "Smallfoot" because my 8 year old son wanted to watch it.

And I must say that "Smallfoot" actually turned out to be a rather enjoyable movie. It definitely was more entertaining than I had expected it to be. But this is hardly an animated movie that will make it to achieve classic status.

The storyline in "Smallfoot" was actually interesting, especially because it opted for a different approach than what you would assume they would have done. So that was a nice twist to the movie.

The graphics and CGI in the animated movie were quite nice, lots of great details in every scene. I liked the variation to all the different yetis that you see throughout the course of the movie.

A shame that they hadn't opted for a proper cast ensemble of voice actors. I am not saying that they were overly bad, just a shame that they had so many bland and easily forgotten voices among the cast. The only one that stood out was Danny DeVito.

My son was thoroughly enjoying "Smallfoot", and it is definitely an animated movie for the entire family.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Qin Mi Di Ren (2011)
Unfathomably boring...
4 December 2018
Right, well I am usually one that is all over Hong Kong movies, so it was no surprise that I jumped at the chance to watch "Qin Mi Di Ren" (aka "Dear Enemy") as well, when I was given the chance.

Oh boy, this movie was horrible. I don't know what to categorize the movie as, romantic comedy is what comes closest to it, I suppose. But "Qin Mi Di Ren" failed horribly at being this. It was such a slow paced and utterly devoid of any kind of appeal or things to make it interesting.

The acting performances in the movie were adequate, but the actors and actresses were fighting and losing an uphill battle with an atrocious storyline that was lacking everything.

Of course, not every single movie that comes from the Hong Kong cinema will be good, but this movie was just beyond the scope of even being mediocre. I didn't even finish the movie. I managed to endure about 1 hour of the movie, in the dwindling hope that it would become better. It didn't, however... So I turned it off, feeling horribly bored and found no entertainment value in "Qin Mi Di Ren" at all. This is not a movie that I will be returning to watch again.

If you, like me, enjoy the Hong Kong cinema, then stay well clear of "Qin Mi Di Ren", because it is just not worth it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well, with such a title, the movie was as to be expected...
4 December 2018
Well, initially I was a bit hesitant about spending time to sit down and watch this movie, despite it being a horror movie and all. Why is that? Well, solely because of the title of the movie. I mean, "Selfie From Hell", come on...

But I decided to give the movie the benefit of the doubt and actually sat down to watch it. Right. Well, I will say that there were some aspects to the movie that proved interesting enough, although they weren't fully utilized. Most of the movie was horribly mundane and just downright boring. The storyline also suffered horribly from being generic and predictable to the point where even a blind and deaf person would predict it well ahead of it happening.

The concept of the movie was interesting enough, just a shame that it was so inadequately brought to fruition on the screen. Whether this was because of the director, or because of a poorly written script, I can only guess. Though I assume it would be the latter.

Some of the acting performances in the movie were adequate, although you should take into consideration that there is about 5 people or so in the entire movie. So there was a lot of pressure riding on these acting talents, and I can't really claim that they managed to do so overly great.

The special effects in the movie were bland and far in between. As for the scares and spooky moments, nope, none of those. Mostly because you saw them coming a mile away, so no scare effects there.

All in all, then "Selfie From Hell" is not really one that I would recommend that you spend your time, money or effort on. Some of us suffer through movies such as this so the rest of you don't have to...
Seoulyeok (2016)
It did have potential, but...
4 December 2018
I wasn't familiar with this animated zombie flick before late in 2018 when I happened to stumble upon it by sheer luck. I had no idea what it was when I picked it up, aside from seeing Korean writing on the cover.

I saw that it was zombies and read the synopsis, and of course I had to give this movie a go.

I will say that it was mediocre at best. Why? Well, because it didn't really have much of a storyline to it. It was a very watered down storyline that had very little to offer. And the sheer amount of zombies in the story didn't really lift up the lack of a proper storyline all that much. Which, ultimately, meant that this was somewhat of a shallow movie experience. And it didn't offer anything overly new to the genre, aside from being an animated movie, which is something you don't see all that often in the zombie genre.

The characters in the movie were somewhat of a hit and miss, as most of them were pointless and lacked personality, appeal and were essentially just fillers on the screen.

There wasn't really much of any gore and mayhem in the movie, and that which actually was there was moderate and toned down, so don't expect anything ghastly or visually gory.

All in all, then "Seoulyeok" (aka "Seoul Station") came and went without much of a groan and without much of a bite. I was struggling to stay awake during the course of this animated movie, and I can in all honesty say that I am not returning to watch it a second time around.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Blasters, invisible monsters and a Forbidden Planet...
2 December 2018
First of all, I must admit that it is odd that it is not before 2018 that I get around to watching "Forbidden Planet". Perhaps because I haven't exactly had the chance before now. And I am not much of a fan aside from "Star Wars" actually.

But I had the chance to get to sit down and watch this 1956 classic, so I took the time to do so. I had not even read the synopsis, nor did I know who starred in it. I was only vaguely familiar with the title from the intro song in "The Rocky Horror Picture Show", yeah, go figure...

I was rather surprised to see Leslie Nielsen in a movie such as this, though it should be said that he really stepped up and delivered a very nice performance in the movie. Sure it was odd to see him in a role such as this, being only accustomed to his comedy roles. But he did quite well, as did the rest of the cast actually.

The storyline in the movie, well it wasn't particularly captivating for me, and I found myself to be rather uninterested in it and it was somewhat of a struggle to sit through the movie to the very end. But I managed to endure it, but I can honestly say that I am not returning to watch "Forbidden Planet" a second time around.

However, for a movie from 1956, then I must admit that I was rather surprised with the special effects that they managed to pull off here. And they were actually rather innovative, and even had things here that would be blatantly copied in TV series and movies years later. So that was rather impressive.

"Forbidden Planet" definitely has something to offer for the right audience. I just wasn't in that particular target audience.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Get ready to go out with a blast...
1 December 2018
I had the chance to sit down and watch "Chai Dan Zhuan Jia" (aka "Shock Wave") and must admit that it was nice to be in the presence of the gracious Andy Lau once more. I had not even heard of the movie prior to finding it. But seeing that this was a Hong Kong movie and it had Andy Lau in the lead, I needed no encouragement to pick it up and watch it.

While the storyline in "Shock Wave" is nothing that haven't been seen already, then it was still a very enjoyable movie. Especially so since I used to live in Hong Kong, so it was particularly thrilling to see the Cross Harbour Tunnel being the focal point of the movie. However, the storyline was rather streamlined, and there were no shock moments or surprises along the way, well aside from the ending - which I am not going to give away. But it was a story that headed straight ahead at 200 mph without any turns or climbs.

The acting in the movie was good, but then again Andy Lau is such a skilled actor that he masters many different genres, and he is no stranger to action movies. So it was no surprise that he carried this movie quite well. The characters in the movie were nicely detailed, and brought to life by an ensemble of different talents that each brought their own touch to the movie.

There is a good amount of action in the movie, and that is supplemented by character build and interaction. So that made for a very wholesome movie experience.

The downside to "Shock Wave" was its predictability. You saw things coming a mile away. But being able to look past that, then the movie was good entertainment and definitely a movie I would recommend that you take the time to watch if you enjoy Asian cinema.
L Feng bao (2018)
Adequate movie but offering nothing new to the ICAC genre...
1 December 2018
When I found "L Feng bao" (aka "L Storm") I hadn't even heard about it. I picked it up knowing that it was a Hong Kong movie and it had Louis Koo in it, I didn't even read the synopsis. Yeah, I am that much of a fan of Asian cinema that I need little encouragement to sit down and indulge myself into a movie.

I must say that "L Storm" wasn't a particularly outstanding movie in the Hong Kong cinema history. Sure, it was entertaining, but it offered nothing new that previous movies in the same genre haven't already brought to the enjoyment of the audience. In fact, the storyline was rather generic and predictable, and that was a massive obstacle around the movie, holding it back.

The movie is well-paced and there isn't really any slumps in the progression of the storyline, just a shame that it was so generic though.

The acting in "L Storm" was good, and Louis Koo definitely carried the movie quite well. I would just have expected a movie such as this to have a bigger ensemble of established actors and actresses performing in it. A shame that it wasn't crammed with stars.

All in all, "L Storm" was a mediocre movie. Hardly a movie that I will return to watch a second time around, because the movie offered nothing new to the genre, nothing that hasn't already been exploited and explored by many previous movies.

"L Storm" is a suitable movie for newcomers to the Hong Kong cinema, and then embark on a larger journey into a cinema that is grand and majestic. But for seasoned veterans of the Hong Kong cinema, this addition felt like a half-hearted movie with director David Lam running on autopilot.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ji wu (2018)
Predictable and a somewhat scrambled mess of a storyline...
1 December 2018
When I was given the chance to watch "Ji Wu" (aka "Buyer Beware") of course I jumped at the chance, because I do love Hong Kong cinema quite a lot.

The initial concept that "Ji Wu" offered was interesting. I should say that I didn't even read the synopsis for the movie, I just saw it was a horror movie and an Asian movie, two elements put together that I do enjoy. So I entered the movie with a blank canvas to be painted with impressions.

The movie started off nicely, but director Jeffrey Chiang effectively managed to squander that perfectly. The movie had great potential, but the director opted to take it into a place that made very little sense and the characters ended up as being irrelevant characters that you didn't really care about after all.

The special effects were fairly adequate, not great mind you. Especially when taking into consideration that this was a 2018 movie. There were a few jump scares in the movie, but if you are a seasoned veteran to the horror genre, you see them coming a mile away.

"Ji Wu" was an average movie, and offers some entertainment that makes it worth watching a single time. But that is about it, you will watch it once, and never return to it again, because it has no solid contents to it that would sustain more than a single viewing.
Venom (2018)
Was that really it?...
1 December 2018
Right, well granted my lack of interest in superhero movies, then I couldn't exactly claim to be thrilled when this movie was announced, even so when it hit the cinema. So it was only when given the chance to watch it that I got around to it. Can't exactly claim that "Venom" was high on my movies to watch.

First of all, well aside from it being a superhero movie, then I wasn't particularly enthralled with it being Tom Hardy having the lead role. Not much of a fan of his, to be honest. But I will say that he carried the movie quite nicely, despite having very little to work with in terms of a thoroughly-crafted script. Yeah, the storyline was fairly simplistic, and the script was almost so light-weight that it was non-existing.

The special effects and CGI in the movie were adequate. They weren't the kind that have you going "wow, that's spectacular and impressive". So for a movie made in 2018 it felt that they cut back on the effects budget in a way.

Now, I was having a bit of a hard time whether to take the movie as a serious movie, or if it was meant to be a comedy. Venom was all over the place, in terms of it being a comedy movie or a serious movie, and even had elements that bordered on horror on it. But it was sort of hard to take some of the things that Venom said seriously.

I wasn't impressed by "Venom". And to be honest, then it would have taken very little to impress me, because I am not a fan of superhero movies and tend to avoid them. I am sure that there is a fanbase for "Venom" out there, but for us that aren't attuned to the superhero genre, then "Venom" had very little to offer in terms of entertainment, aside from being a generic action movie.
17 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BuyBust (2018)
Almost one continuous gunfight from start to end...
29 November 2018
Well, let's just be honest and say that "BuyBust" definitely marks the Philippines on the map in terms of recent action movies.

With that being said, then I must also say that you shouldn't watch "BuyBust" if you want a wholesome story that has been given lots of consideration and thought. You will be sorely disappointed. The storyline here, in all its entirety is a small group of police infiltrate a drug-controlled part of Manilla, and things go awry with a doublecross, and they have to fend off the entire neighborhood.

Yeah, that was essentially it. But what "BuyBust" lacks in storyline and script it definitely makes more than up for in terms of sheer action, fighting and shooting. The entire movie is almost one prolonged gunfight, for better or worse. I must admit, guilty as charged, that I found that approach to be enjoyable. While "BuyBust" is no "The Raid" (either of the two movies), then it sure was well on its way to making it to such.

And "BuyBust" is of course not heavy on thespian acting performances, as this was essentially just one long gun fight. But I will say that people were performing well enough with their given roles.

If you are not accustomed to Philippine movies, then "BuyBust" is definitely a light introduction to their cinema. "BuyBust" is actually worth spending almost two hours on. I was entertained, for certain.
Inrang (2018)
The 1999 Anime was much better...
29 November 2018
Alright, well why would Korean take on remaking "Jin Roh: Wolf Brigade"? That just eluded me.

Regardless, I found this movie on Netflix while perusing through their Asian section. Having seen the animated movie back during my late teenage years, of course I had to give a live action movie a view, without a doubt.

So how was it? Well in all honesty, I can say that it wasn't all that impressive. Sure, the visual effects and the armors were great, and there were a couple of good gun fights. But the storyline was just so mediocre that it was hard to get immersed into the movie, into the universe and into embracing the Korean remake.

The acting in the movie was fairly good, taking into consideration the horribly weak script they had to work with.

Sure, the movie was adequate for what it turned out to be, and it was entertaining for sure. I had just expected somewhat more from a live action movie based on the classic "Jin Roh: Wolf Brigade" anime. But for viewers not familiar with the 1999 anime, then I am sure this is a mighty fine and dandy movie. But for us already well familiar with the 1999 anime, not so much...
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
And this is why you should avoid that holiday...
29 November 2018
Anything even remotely zombie, and I am there. However, more often than not does it turn out that the zombie movies are horribly. I had not heard about "Valentine DayZ" before stumbling upon it by sheer luck. And of course I gave it a go with no hesitation.

"Valentine DayZ" was a most horrible movie experience in many, many ways.

Let's story with the storyline, which was next to non-existing, and whatever coherency they did manage to put together from the fragments that made up the storyline, it was just not worth the effort. The plot was laughable at best. And the movie was just full of characters that you didn't care for in the least.

The zombie make-up was atrocious. Yeah, this is the style of zombie make-up where they opt to slap gray make-up on the face, dark circles around the eyes and frizzy hair. Yup, that was about it. Oh, I almost forgot the green blood. Because we all know blood changes color out of the blue. And the sounds these zombies were making just made the zombies seem like ridiculous spoofs on other zombie movies.

The dialogue in the movie was every bit as staggering and halting as the rest of the movie.

I dozed off once along the way, but eventually managed to sit through the movie to the very end, in the slim hopes that it would pick up and become better... It didn't!

If you are a zombie fan, don't bother with spending your time, money or effort on watching this movie.
The Unnamable (1988)
Not quite as good as the sequel...
26 November 2018
Right, well for some reason I never got around to watch "The Unnamable" before 30 years after it was released, and that is even more impressive because I really love "The Unnamable Returns" and have watched that sequel many, many times. However, I didn't have the chance to watch "The Unnamable" before now in 2018.

So was it worth the wait? No. Was it anything near as good as the sequel? No.

This 1988 movie adaptation of a Lovecraft story was slow paced, with very little happening throughout the course of the entire movie. And the creature, Alyda, was kept in the dark throughout most of the entire movie, unlike what they did in the sequel. Which was a shame, because it didn't really work in favor of the movie. I am sure that back in 1988 it might have been the thing to do, but for a seasoned horror veteran as myself I need more than just have hints at something lurking around in the shadows.

The storyline was adequate. Sure, this wasn't Shakespearian in any sense, but it was entertaining enough for what it was supposed to do. But again, the sequel surpassed this first movie in the series by a mile.

The acting in the movie was adequate, and it was nice to have some familiar faces here (well, that is by taking into consideration that I saw part II before I saw part I).

Not a cinematic masterpiece in horror history, but entertaining for what it turned out to be, a campy late 1980s horror movie.
The Atoning (2017)
So boring it became a drag to sit and watch...
25 November 2018
When I stumbled upon "The Atoning", I must admit that I was immediately lured by the cover. I didn't even read the synopsis for the movie, the front of the cover was all that was needed to have me interested.

So I knew that I was getting myself into a horror movie. I just didn't know what kind of horror movie.

"The Atoning" turned out to be an unfathomably slow paced horror movie that borrowed heavily on elements from "The Others", but it just failed to be as interesting or groundbreaking as "The Others" was back in the day. There was so little happening throughout the course of "The Atoning" that it was getting progressively more and more difficult to keep interested in watching it.

It should be said that while the storyline and script was atrocious, then the acting performances were actually quite good. Just a shame that they had so little to work with. Virginia Newcomb, playing Vera, was the one whom carried the movie for the most parts.

The movie wasn't even halfheartedly scary. And when the people covered in black paint showed up, I was about ready to just turn off the movie and find something else to watch. But I endured and stuck with "The Atoning" to the end. Some of us suffered through this, so you don't have to.

If you enjoy horror movies then I suggest you find something else to watch, because "The Atoning" is just not worth the time or effort. Maybe if something more interested happened throughout the course of the storyline, yeah... But it didn't, so don't bother.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not worth the effort...
24 November 2018
I stumbled upon "Teenage Space Vampires" on Netflix, and with a title such as this, I had to sit down and watch it, of course. And yeah, I knew that this was most likely going to be a stinker. But I still watched it on the odd chance that it might actually turn out to be a campy gem.

It wasn't!

This movie was horrible. The storyline was laughable at best, and there were so many things throughout the course of the movie that made little or no coherent sense at all. Sure, I wasn't expecting a thespian story here, but come on, this was just insulting to the audience.

The cast in the movie was actually adequate, just a shame that they had such an atrocious script and plot to work with. So the storyline served as an inhibitor around the ankles of the performers, effectively holding them back in a less than mediocre gutter.

The special effects in the movie were not even remotely great, taking into consideration that the movie was made in 1999. The special effects were mediocre and the make-up on the creatures was on one hand alright, but on the other hand horrible. The part where it was alright is that it looked interesting enough. The bad aspect to it was the fact that they opted to only put the make-up on the faces of the performers, leaving the rest of the body untouched by similar make-up and prosthetic. That was just laughable.

I dozed off once during the movie, because it was such a prolonged movie with a storyline that had next to no appeal at all. I did manage to endure the movie to the very end, and I can in all honesty say that I will never return to watch "Teenage Space Vampires" a second time.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Death of Superman (2018 Video)
Cashing in on already established characters without adding to their stories...
18 November 2018
I sat down to watch "The Death of Superman" with my 8 year old son, whom enjoy cartoons and superheroes way way more than I do.

This was every bit as I had expected it to be, and it is just idiotic how DC can't make up their minds about a continuity to their storylines. So is Clark Kent's foster father dead or isn't he? Depends on what line of story you follow I suppose. And just how many times can Clark Kent reveal unto Lois Lane that he is actually Superman? It is just downright idiotic. Make up your minds already!

There is a lot, and I mean a lot, of a action in this animated movie. It sort of felt like as if they wanted to up the result from "Batman v Superman" or the recent "Superman" movies.

Did it work? Sort of. Why? Well, because the villain in the story was every bit as pointless as he was ridiculous. The villain here served absolutely no purpose. He could easily destroy the Justice League members and was close to doing so, but of course he didn't succeed. Gee, what a surprise.

The animation style was one of the better things that kept "The Death of Superman" interesting, as well as the good voice acting performance from the cast.

All in all, a mediocre animated movie, albeit it had a very pointless storyline.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The LEGO mass production spews out a half-hearted adventure...
18 November 2018
So why is it that I sat down to watch "LEGO DC Comics Super Heroes: Aquaman - Rage of Atlantis"? Well, on the sole reason that I have an 8 year old son who wanted to watch it.

This LEGO superhero movie didn't fare quite as well as some of the previous ones did.

Why? Well, first of all, Aquaman is sort of a bland superhero as superheroes go. And the storyline just wasn't particularly solidly crafted or constructed.

Sure it was nice to see Lobo here, but he could only do so much to salvage the movie.

The animation was top notch of course, as it always is in a LEGO produced animated movie. And the voice acting was great as well.

Even my 8 year old son whom loves both LEGO and superheroes actually fell asleep during the movie, so it just didn't have that magic touch to it.

I am tempted to say that this particular LEGO animated movie was build using the wrong bricks, or maybe even missing a brick or two to make it complete. I am sure that "LEGO DC Comics Super Heroes: Aquaman - Rage of Atlantis" will find appeal with some in the audience.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It could have been so much more...
18 November 2018
I must admit that at first glance, at the title alone, I went "nah". This movie was sort of a either it fails horribly or it turns out to be a stroke of genius. And with that in mind, I sat down to watch "Killing Hasselhoff" from writer Peter Hoare and director Darren Grant.

Well, I can honestly say that the movie had an interestingly enough concept that it was founded upon, but the story of the movie just never really found its footing and it ended up as something that really didn't live up to what it could have been and failed to deliver where it could he delivered so much more.

Despite having performances from the likes of Ken Jeong, Jim Jefferies and David Hasselhoff himself, then the movie just settled on a flat mediocre speed. I must say that it was definitely the performance of Ken Jeong that carried the movie for the most part.

"Killing Hasselhoff" turned out to be a movie that was seriously lacking funny situations that would bring about laughs. If it had more top notch comedy, then it would have made for a more wholesome movie. My final rating of "Killing Hasselhoff" has to be a very generic and mediocre five out of ten stars, because this was bland. So very, very bland...
Heist (III) (2015)
A good old "Heist" movies as they are supposed to be...
18 November 2018
When I sat down to watch "Heist" it was solely because I saw that Robert De Niro and Jeffrey Dean Morgan starred in it. I hadn't actually heard about the movie prior to stumbling upon it by random luck on Netflix.

For me, at least, "Heist" was a movie that had a nice storyline, and it also had some interesting twists and turns along the way. A point of view that definitely isn't shared by all reviewers of the movie.

I must admit that the movie was indeed very well carried by both Robert De Niro and Jeffrey Dean Morgan. But then again, with the likes of their acting skills chances were slim to none that this would be a total waste of time. And I must admit that Dave Bautista actually performed quite well here too, and I usually can't claim to be much of a fan of his.

"Heist" was definitely a good combination of story and action from director Scott Mann. So if you haven't already seen "Heist", and have the chance, I can most certainly recommend you take the time and effort to do so.