Reviews

3,225 Reviews
The show must go on...
22 March 2019
I was fortunate enough to watch the third installment in the "Subspecies" franchise back-to-back with the previous two movies, making a whole evening out of it. And it was interesting to find out that parts II and III were also filmed back-to-back.

Again, this is a direct continuation of the events that transpired in "Bloodlust: Subspecies II" and continued where part II left the audience. This is really something that is unique and definitely is a defining event for the franchise.

"Bloodlust: Subspecies III", like the previous two movies, while being in the horror genre, is not a movie that is made to scare the audience or gross out the audience with over-the-top special effects and ways to kill or maim characters. No, again, this is about character development and about story progression. Those are factors to the franchise that I immensely enjoy and it make for some very good entertainment.

Needless to say that Anders Hove carries the movie phenomenally as he did with the previous two movies. He definitely puts so much energy and personality into the Radu character and makes it for a very memorable character in the vampire genre.

"Bloodlust: Subspecies III" makes for good entertainment, and it is delivering a straight forward storyline and script, much alike the previous two movies. There are little surprises or plot twists along the way, but the previous two movies weren't known for that either. The introduction of Bob, a soldier of fortune-like character, seemed very forced and misplaced in the movie. Especially because the character served very little purpose and was brought to a most sudden and random demise.

If you have watched the previous two movies in the "Subspecies" genre, then you definitely should sit down to watch the third movie as well. "Subspecies" is a gem within the vampire genre.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Every bit as enjoyable as its predecessor...
22 March 2019
I was given the chance in 2019 and sit down to watch three movies of the "Subspecies" franchise, which I did and watched them in rapid succession of one another.

First of all, I must admit to being so very thrilled and content with the fact that "Bloodstone: Subspecies II" is a direct and continuous sequel to the first "Subspecies" movie. By that I mean that this sequel picks up exactly where the first movie left the audience hanging. I enjoyed that tremendously, and it is rare that you actually see that done in movies.

I found "Bloodstone: Subspecies II" to be equally entertaining and the first "Subspecies" movie and subsequently also as the third movie in the franchise as I watched that directly after having finished "Bloodstone: Subspecies II".

The Radu character, once again portrayed by Anders Hove - and done so with so much grace and perfection I might add, is fleshed out, pardon the pun, in greater detail in this sequel. While the storyline is a continuation of the first movie, we still get a much more in-depth look into whom the Radu character is, what drives him and how he came to be as he is.

While these "Subspecies" are within the horror genre, they are not actually based on being scary or being able to make the audience cringe from gore and violence and jump out of their seats from a myriad of jump scares. No, this franchise is based on character development and a continuous plot and storyline. And that really carries the movies quite some way.

They definitely upped their game in terms of make-up and special effects in this 1993 sequel to the original 1991 "Subspecies" movie. And while it wasn't sorely needed, it made for a more enjoyable viewing of course.

I thoroughly enjoy the "Subspecies" franchise, and I find the Radu character to actually be the most memorable vampire character that I have seen throughout all the vampire movies I have watched over the past three decades give or take.

If you have not yet gotten acquainted with the "Subspecies" franchise and the long-fingered monstrous Radu character, I can definitely strongly recommend that you do so if you are given the chance.
Subspecies (1991)
A wholesome vampire movie...
22 March 2019
Sure, "Subspecies" was a B-movie entry into the vampire genre, no doubt about it. Yet, "Subspecies" still managed to excel itself well enough to cast aside its mantle and actually amount to becoming somewhat of a classic in its own right within the vampire genre.

At first glance, there is something dark about the atmosphere that permeates the entire movie, and that really adds a good layer and feel to the movie. And it is this dark, gloomy, gothic-like atmosphere that helps bring the movie to (un)life in a most satisfying way.

Also, the character Radu (played phenomenally by Anders Hove), at first glance, seems a bit bland. The long and at times obviously overly fake prosthetics could be a bitter pill to swallow. But as the movie progress you come to forget about this and embrace it as part of whom Radu is. Because it sets him aside from other vampires and makes him memorable. Radu isn't a charismatic old-fashioned gentleman like Count Dracula typically is portrayed, nor is he a suave and slick young man as seen in more modern vampire movies - thinking of the god-awful "Twilight" sparkling and fancy-haired main character Edward Cullen. No, Radu is simply bestial in a way, he is grotesque and monstrous, much alike those in "The Strain".

It was a nice treat for horror fans to see Angus Scrimm make an appearance in the movie, albeit in a rather small supporting role as King Vladislav.

The storyline in "Subspecies" was simplistic and very straight forward, it offered no surprises, turns or plot twists along the way. Which was essentially the weakest part about the movie, but you come to accept this, because "Subspecies" definitely is good entertainment, even for a vampire movie from 1991.

The one thing I didn't understand was the demonic imp creatures that served Radu. They made no sense and served only a single purpose to the movie. And the fact that they were so horribly animated and created made it seem amateurish and ridiculous. Thankfully these creatures had precious little on-screen time, because they would definitely have brought the movie down if they played a larger role. Solely because they were so horribly fake to look at, as the concept of them actually could have been interesting.

I remember having seen "Subspecies" once before, but it apparently didn't leave much of a lasting impression back in my youth. But now that I have revisited the franchise in 2019, I must admit that these movies are actually quite entertaining.
A disappointing movie...
19 March 2019
Well, oddly enough it is not before 2019 that I actually got to watch "Saturday the 14th", even though I think even my brother had this movie on VHS back in the day.

So was it worth waiting 38 years for? No. Definitely no.

Sure, it was fun to watch a young Paula Prentiss and Jeffrey Tambor in the movie. But seen from an entertainment perspective, then there was surprisingly little of any interest or worthwhile entertainment to be had throughout the course of the movie. And I must admit that my attention was starting to falter a couple of times throughout the movie.

For a movie of this, that sort of is a spoof, but not rightfully so, then there was surprisingly little laughs to be found throughout the entire movie. I think I laughed maybe twice somewhere along the line.

This was definitely not a particularly memorable movie, and it was so painstakingly obvious that all costumes were exactly that - costumes! They were horribly fake and they hadn't even bothered to adhere the costumes around the eyes, making it even more clear that it was just people wearing elaborate Halloween costumes.

Not really worth the time or effort, because I had expected more in terms of fun and laughs, but I was sorely disappointed.
Clown Kill (2014)
Not worth the effort...
19 March 2019
The movie "Lock In" (aka "Clown Kill") was something else alright. Granted, I hadn't even heard anything about the movie prior to finding it. I figured it to be a horror movie and hence I decided to watch the movie.

Now, I might be using the word 'watch' a bit loosely here, because I only managed to endure 20 minutes of the ordeal that is "Lock In" before I tossed in the towel and gave up out of sheer frustration and boredom.

The storyline was unfathomably slow paced and everything in the movie just screamed and oozed with amateurish movie-making; from the camera-work to the acting, the script to the execution and editing. Sure, if this was a low budget and film school project it would be plausible, but for an actual movie it was just way out of what I wanted to pay money to watch.

It was eventually the horrible dialogue and questionable acting performances that killed off the movie for me and made me get up and turn it off. It just became too much to bear witness to.

This is definitely not a movie that I will be returning to watch ever again. There was nothing interesting to be had anywhere throughout the 20 minutes that I managed to endure.

If you enjoy horror movies, then there are far better movies to spend your money and time on.
Beneath (I) (2013)
There is something fishy about "Beneath"...
19 March 2019
When I found this 2013 movie titled "Beneath", I didn't know what I was getting myself into by picking it up and deciding to watch it. I hadn't even heard anything about the movie prior to watching it. I knew that it was a horror movie, and that was about all I knew. And that was essentially all I needed to know, because I do enjoy watching horror movies.

Turns out that "Beneath" wasn't a particularly masterpiece in the horror genre. In fact, it wasn't even an outstanding or memorable movie in any particular way. Well, aside from a very oddly constructed giant fish that makes you think about the 1975 shark they had in Jaws. Yeah, it was every bit as fake as the shark Bruce is when you see it today and compare it to what they can do today. So it was somewhat of a disappointment for the special effects department here in "Beneath".

Sure, I will admit to the fact that the idea of a giant monstrous fish trapped in a lake is sort of interesting. But leaves you to wonder just exactly how did the predatory fish grow so large when it was in a lake with a limited food supply. But hey, so much for over-thinking it, huh?

As for the acting in the movie, well let's just say that the actors and actresses did perform well enough given the limitation of the script and storyline. But you shouldn't be setting yourself up to expecting any kind of Shakespearian thespian performances here though. Just a word of advice...

In terms of this being a horror movie, then "Beneath" was frightfully devoid of anything even remotely scary or near anything even resembling jump scares. The movie quickly settled on a very straight-forward track and there were no ups, downs, left turns or right turns along the way; just a very monotone straight ahead journey.

I enjoy horror movies quite a lot, but "Beneath" was a sordid and fishy affair. Sure, I managed to sit through the movie to the bitter, scaly end, but I can't claim to have been overly entertained. Nor can I say that I will ever return to watch "Beneath" a second time around.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A romantic comedy well worth watching...
18 March 2019
Right, well Hong Kong cinema is well known for its sappy romantic comedies, right up alongside with the hardcore action movies. And being a sucker for all things Asian and Hong Kong cinema in particular, of course I jumped at the chance when I was given it to sit down and watch "Dan sun nam nui" (aka "Don't Go Breaking My Heart").

Initially I had not even heard about the movie prior to finding it by sheer, random luck. But seeing that it had both Louis Koo and Daniel Wu on the casting list, of course I was more than intrigued, because these are definitely among the more established of actors in the more recent cinema.

The storyline and plot in "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" was fairly straight forward, even for a romantic comedy. But don't be scared off, because that doesn't mean that the movie wasn't entertaining. I happened to find the movie rather enjoyable and entertaining, to be honest.

I am not overly familiar with Yuanyuan Gao, but I must admit that she really carried the movie quite well with her charming personality on the screen and her ability to bring lots of emotions and charisma to the movie.

If you enjoy Hong Kong cinema and have a taste for the romantic comedies, then you definitely should take the time to watch "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" if you have the chance.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A standard romantic comedy with a little extra something...
18 March 2019
Right, well this is your every day run-of-the-mill romantic comedy from the South Korean cinema, sure. But there is a little bit more to it than just your generic boy meets girl and in-and-out-of-love.

Sure, South Korea pump the romantic comedies out by the gallons on a daily basis. And it is hard to find the ones that actually distinguish themselves in the sea of similar movies. "Neo-eui kyeol-hoon-sik" (aka "On Your Wedding Day") actually managed to differentiate itself from many others of the similar type, which actually makes it worth the effort to sit down and watch this movie.

It should be said that the story is fairly generic, but there are some nice enough twists and changes to the story that you wouldn't necessarily expect to see, which did make for a nice pace and change of scenery in the rom-com genre.

The movie is very nicely carried by Bo-Young Park (playing Hwan Seung-hee) and Young-kwang Kim (playing Hwang Woo-yeon).

However, while the movie certainly stands out in the sea of romantic comedies from the South Korean cinema, it is hardly a movie that you will watch more than a single time, because the storyline and plot just haven't enough worth to sustain multiple viewings.

I must admit to finding the ending of the movie rather enjoyable and a most welcome change of pace for the romantic comedy genre.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A horribly pointless and slow drama...
17 March 2019
I must admit that I am a sucker for anything Asian, and given the chance to sit down and watch an Asian movie I will gladly do so. So it was that I was given the chance to watch the 2015 "Umimachi Diary" (aka "Our Little Sister") from director/writer Hirokazu Koreeda based on the Manga from writer Akimi Yoshida.

Sadly this movie was unfathomably slow paced and had next to nothing to tell in terms of a properly entertaining and captivating storyline. Sure, the movie had great acting performances, but the plot and storyline was just so horribly slow paced and irrelevant that the actresses struggled a losing battle no matter how well they performed.

I managed to endure 1 hour of the ordeal that is known as "Umimachi Diary" before I gave up out of sheer and utter boredom. I have no intention of returning to finish the rest of the movie, because there was nothing entertaining here, and just watching the female actresses trying to stay afloat in a sinking script hardly proves for proper entertainment.

This drama might certainly have an audience out there somewhere, sadly I was not in the target audience. But then again, I can't claim to have been familiar with anything about the movie prior to stumbling upon it by sheer random luck.

There are far better Japanese movies in the drama genre, so I am advising you to find something else if you are in for an evening of Japanese drama on the screen.
La monja (2005)
Prepare to fall asleep...
16 March 2019
This 2005 movie from director Luis de la Madrid might share the same title with the somewhat better 2018 movie of the same name. Sure, they have similarities in between them, but the 2005 movie "The Nun" was just downright mundane and anything but scary.

I gave up halfway through the ordeal that is "The Nun". I was so bored senseless and had lost all interest in the movie. Actually within the first 30 minutes I already had my phone out and were only halfway paying attention to the senseless dribble that oozed across the screen.

The characters in the movie had all the appeal of wet paint, and it left the actors and actresses with precious little to work with in terms of performance and character development. And that was a shame, because this held back the movie I think.

As for the storyline itself, well it was tedious. Let's just be bluntly honest. It lacked appeal and it lacked proper scary moments. Which was eventually what killed off the movie for me halfway along the way.

Sure, "The Nun" had some pretty interesting and fair enough special effects regarding the villain in the movie, which was - surprise, surprise - the nun. Hence the title of the movie.

"The Nun" is simply just not worth the time, the effort or the money. If you enjoy a proper scary horror movie, don't waste your time on this 2005 movie by writers Manu Díez and Jaume Balagueró.
Just downright horrible...
16 March 2019
Right, well the first "Sometimes They Come Back" was an abysmal train wreck for sure, but still I had the chance to get to sit down and watch the 1998 "Sometimes They Come Back... for More" movie, and I did so, even after cringing through the first movie.

So what were they thinking here? Because it felt like 'let's make a copy of "The Thing" except we leave out all the special effects and all the scary parts'. That was definitely what "Sometimes They Come Back... for More" felt like. It was a monstrous ordeal to sit through.

Not only was the story incredibly slow paced and uneventful, but it was also frighteningly boring and pointless. I must admit that I gave up on "Sometimes They Come Back... for More" about halfway through. I just couldn't take more of the punishment that is this movie.

The only upside to this movie was the fact that a young Faith Ford appeared in the movie, which seemed like a very atypical movie for her to have an acting role in.

Oddly enough I never watched it back in the late 1990s when it was initially released. But now that I have had the chance to watch it, I can honestly say that t his movie is bad. If you enjoy a good horror movie and prefer a movie with a proper script and storyline, stay well clear of "Sometimes They Come Back... for More".
Dai si hing (2018)
A very generic and bland Hong Kong movie...
16 March 2019
I sat down to watch "Big Brother" (aka "Dai si hing") because I am a big fan of Hong Kong cinema and usually Donnie Yen is in some pretty entertaining and action-filled movies.

Well, "Big Brother" was not your average Donnie Yen martial arts action movie. Sure there was fighting and martial arts in the movie, but it is nothing like his usual movies. He is trying to mature and branch out here with more dramatic acting and taking on a more wholehearted character that does more than just kick butt.

While "Big Brother" certainly was an entertaining movie, it just felt a little bit too forced and too sugar-coated. A former military man turning teacher and making it his sole mission to individually and personally see to it that each of his students pass class by any means necessary, even taking on MMA fighters in a locker room, just felt a little bit too cliché.

The martial arts and fighting in the movie was very nicely choreographed and equally so executed on the screen. This is a Donnie Yen movie after all, and he is usually spot on with these things. And so he is in "Big Brother" too.

It should be said that the acting performances in the movie were generally quite good all round for each performer in the movie, both main cast and supporting cast. One thing that was missing though, was more familiar and famous faces in the crowd.

"Big Brother" is by no means a redefining movie in the Hong Kong cinema. Actually it is a rather bland and generic movie, to be honest. And though it pains me to say, I think this movie will quietly fade into oblivion just as quietly as it managed to appear. Sure, fans of Donnie Yen will be familiar with its existence, but the rest of the audience might never know about it unless stumbling upon it by sheer, random luck.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adequate entertainment for the kids...
16 March 2019
While I haven't watched the first "The Lego Movie", then I went to watch "The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part" with my son, because he enjoys the Lego movies quite a lot.

As with all the Lego animated movies I have watched with my son by now, then I must say that the CGI and animation in "The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part" was quite good. But then again, it has always been like that with Lego animated movies. So that is definitely a quality plus.

The story was adequately entertaining, at least my 9 year old son was thoroughly entertained. I must admit that I lost interest in the movie about halfway through because it just seemed a bit too random for me. And by the last quarter of the movie I was soundly asleep.

They actually had some pretty good voice acting talents to perform in the movie, which is a definite make or break for an animated movie. But this being a Lego produced animated movie, of course they have talented people on the payroll. The voice acting talents included the likes as Chris Pratt, Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett, Jonah Hill, Will Ferrell and others.

Do I plan on watching the last quarter of "The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part"? By no means, I am sure that I am not going to be missing out on a grand majestic piece of cinematic history by doing so. But at least my son was entertained by the movie, which is what mattered.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Skjelvet (2018)
An intense sequel...
16 March 2019
I stumbled upon "Skjelvet" ("The Quake") by pure luck. I picked it up and saw that it looked very reminiscent of the 2015 movie "Bølgen" ("The Wave"). Then I noticed that it was the same actor in it, and since I enjoyed "Bølgen", of course I had to give "Skjelvet" a watch.

Good thing that I did, because "Skjelvet" turned out to be every bit as entertaining as the 2015 movie "Bølgen", and it turns out that "Skjelvet" is actually a continuation - a part II - to the 2015 movie. So that was quite a nice surprise thrown into the deal.

Writers John Kåre Raake and Harald Rosenløw-Eeg managed to put together a story that turned out to be as entertaining and adrenaline-filled as the predecessor movie, while Director John Andreas Andersen managed to bring the story to life visually and entertainingly.

I am very surprised with the level of fantastic CGI that they managed to capture and put into the movie, very much reminiscent of the 2015 movie "Bølgen". It all looked so realistic and downright amazing. So that is a great achievement in a Norwegian movie, because that is something you would usually associate with multi-billion dollar movies made in Hollywood.

Kristoffer Joner (playing Kristian Eikjord) in the lead really brought a lot of charm to the movie, and it was great to see him return to reprise this character. He definitely carried the movie quite well. The other actors and actresses in the movie also performed quite well, but it was Kristoffer Joner that carried the movie through and through.

If you have watched the 2015 movie "Bølgen", then you definitely should take the time and effort to sit down and watch this 2018 sequel "Skjelvet" because it is right up there alongside "Bølgen" in entertainment value and in intensity.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stan & Ollie (2018)
A heartfelt movie about two iconic comedians...
16 March 2019
I watched the old classic Laurel and Hardy movies when I was a kid, and I must admit that I have nothing but fond memories of them. So I was a little bit skeptical about "Stan & Ollie" when I came to hear about it. And truth be told, having John C. Reilly in the role as Oliver Hardy sort of made my toes curl.

Now I had the chance to sit down and watch it. First of all I have to start out by saying hats off to John C. Reilly for really pulling the wool over my eyes here. He phenomenally managed to go from being your average run-of-the-mill comedy actor to actually surprising the wazoo out of me. He really performed so well in this movie and proves that he has so much more talent than just being another generic comedian performer.

"Stan & Ollie" is a feel-good comedy drama about two of the most memorable actors and characters in the history of comedy; Stan Laurel (as played by Steve Coogan) and Oliver Hardy (as played by John C. Reilly). And the storyline takes the audience on a very nice behind-the-scenes trip for which I suppose many people have no idea about whom Laurel and Hardy were behind the faces they performed in the movies.

They made both Coogan and Reilly look very much alike to Laurel and Hardy respectively. Especially Steve Coogan, his lookalike to Stan Laurel was just superb. At times you felt like you were actually still watching Oliver Hardy and Stan Laurel on the screen, it was just uncanny.

The storyline in "Stan & Ollie" is good paced and it is an entertaining story for sure. However, I just feel that this is the type of movie that you will watch once and most likely never return to watch a second time because the storyline, while good, just doesn't have enough meat on it to sustain multiple viewings.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sometimes They Come Back (1991 TV Movie)
Boring movie actually...
11 March 2019
Right, I remember watching this movie back in the 1990s, but haven't seen it since then. Then come 2019 and I got the chance to revisit "Sometimes They Come Back", so of course I did that. Especially since this is branded as a horror movie and it being based on a Stephen King novel.

Well, let's just say that the years have definitely distorted the memories of what I had of "Sometimes They Come Back". Why? Well, this movie was nowhere near as interesting as I remember it being. And it was quite far away from being a horror movie actually. It was more like a drama laced with horror elements.

The storyline is so simple and stupid that it was almost an insult to the audience. But if that was what could pass for being solid entertainment back in 1991, then sure, why not. But today, then the storyline was horrible and so generic to watch that it was almost painful.

What carries "Sometimes They Come Back" most of the way was the cast ensemble, which includes Tim Matheson (playing Jim Norman), Brooke Adams (playing Sally Norman), Robert Rusler (playing Richard Lawson) and Nicholas Sadler (playing Vinnie Vincent). These names and faces should be very familiar to you, especially if you watched movies during the glorious 1990s era. I must admit that it was actually Robert Rusler whom stood out as the most memorable in the movie.

As for scare factor for "Sometimes They Come Back", then it was zero. There was absolutely nothing scary in the movie at all, unless you are less than 5 years old and watch the three returned young men in the car turning into the dead. Nothing scary about 4 guys driving around in a black classic car primed with fire paint and flames shooting out of the exhaust, while they laugh maniacally.

Now that I have revisited "Sometimes They Come Back" in 2019, I now know that this is a movie that I will never return to again. Odd really, considering how much I enjoyed most of the movie adaptations for Stephen King novellas back in the day.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining despite it being a run-of-the-mill zombie movie...
9 March 2019
A zombie movie? Check, and I am there.

I stumbled upon "3 Hours Till Dead" by random luck. I saw the movie's cover and of course I picked it up and gave it a watch right away. After all, I am a huge fan of all things zombie.

Right, well without having heard anything about the movie, nor knowing about its existence prior to stumbling upon it, then I had little expectations as to what I should expect from the movie.

Sure, this was a low budget production with a clear amateurish touch to it. But that actually worked in favor of the movie, because it helped add to the atmosphere of the movie. It felt like this entire project was established and executed by people with a genuine love in and for the zombie genre.

Storywise, then "3 Hours Till Dead" doesn't move any boundaries. In fact, this was pretty much reminiscent of George A. Romero's classic "Night of the Living Dead", for better or worse.

The special effects in the movie were good. Sure they weren't massive Hollywood blockbuster good, but they served their purposes and for the most parts they were good and came off as being believable. However, one thing stuck out like a sore thumb in my eye, it was when newly turned infected start jumping and running. That just doesn't sit well with me or the zombie lore in general.

As for the acting in the movie, well people were doing good jobs. However I somehow feel that the movie suffered from having Vladimir Zaric in the lead role, because he wasn't the most prominent or outstanding of acting talents that they had in the movie.

All in all, then "3 Hours Till Dead" is good entertainment, just keep in mind that this is a low budget production. But it has the heart with it and the heart is in the right place - until a zombie devours it. So I must say that writer and director Jason Mills actually pulled this movie off quite well.
Entertaining albeit generic...
9 March 2019
Right, well when I stumbled upon "The Possession of Hannah Grace" I must admit that my first initial thought was 'oh joy, another possession movie, how glorious'. Yeah, that thought was just full of sarcasm.

Despite my initial take on the movie, I still decided to give "The Possession of Hannah Grace" a chance and sat down to watch it. I am a big fan of horror movies after all. So why not watch it?

I must say that writer Brian Sieve and director Diederik Van Rooijen actually managed to put together something that was entertaining. Sure, this movie was by no means a groundbreaking or innovative movie in the demonic possession movie, but it had enough atmosphere and creepy moments that it was actually worth watching.

And it helped that the movie had great pacing and good build up to climaxes. The movie doesn't rely overly much on special effects and CGI, though they are there and they are utilized quite well. No, this is a movie driven by an eerie atmosphere and character development.

This was actually my first time to watch Shay Mitchell on the screen, despite knowing she was in "Pretty Little Liars" (a show that somewhat falls out of my taste and preference I think). And I must say that she was quite talented and really carried this movie quite well. And she is definitely an actress that I will be watching more movies from whenever I get the chance.

So is "The Possession of Hannah Grace" a horror movie that you must run out and watch at the first given possible chance? No, not really. But if you have the time and have the chance, do sit down to watch it, because it definitely has some good moments.

I was actually genuinely entertained by the movie, however, I must say that if they had upped the game and added more shocks and jump scares, I wouldn't have complained, because the movie was lacking that - which incidentally was one of the biggest flaws to the movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad even for a movie from The Asylum...
26 February 2019
I had no idea what I was getting myself into here, except that when I saw that dreaded The Asylum logo pop up on the screen all hopes of being in for something great sort of vanishes like dew before the first rays of the sun.

Yeah, it is no secret that The Asylum is well-known for the more than questionable movies and mockbusters of dubious entertainment value. But still, I decided to give "Hold Your Breath" a chance, on the odd chance that it would actually be among the rare few movies that The Asylum spew forth that actually turn out to be worthwhile watching.

Right, well "Hold Your Breath" wasn't a particularly outstanding movie. Well, in all honesty, then it should be said that the movie started out fair enough and definitely had potential and had some good enough moments that lead me back to the good old days of the traditional 1990s horror movies. But they were just far in between and were drowning in a less than mediocre execution.

What worked the best in favor of the movie was the fact that they had both Keith Allan and Katrina Bowden on the cast list. Just a shame that Keith Allen was a mere supportive actor in the movie and had very little on-screen time. But Katrina Bowden definitely carried the movie quite well with her performance.

As for being a horror movie, then "Hold Your Breath" was not innovative, nor was it particularly outstanding or memorable. Which ultimately was a major part of why this movie is the type of movie that you will watch once - if you even manage to sit through it that long - and never to be seen again.

The ending of the movie, however, that is where it all fell into a heaping pile of rubbish. That was definitely one of the worst twist to a movie and one of the worst things happening towards an ending of a movie that I have witnessed in a long, long time. It was so bad that I was actually laughing hard when I saw that on the screen. Actually, the abysmal thing happening at the end of the movie actually makes it worthwhile sitting through the movie, just keep looking forward to having that one ridiculous moment at the end to strive to get to.

All in all, "Hold Your Breath" was not a very entertaining movie. Even for a movie from The Asylum, then this was pretty disappointing.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not even worth the money, time or effort...
25 February 2019
Well, my 8 year old son liked "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse", hence I eventually caved in and sat down to watch it. I, however, didn't like it.

This 2018 animated foray by Marvel into a mashed-up mixture of Spiderman universes was downright atrocious. The storyline was horribly flawed and just downright idiotic, and it didn't really help that the majority of the alternate Spiderman characters were equally idiotic and misplaced as the storyline itself. I mean, the Manga character and the pig-like Spiderman, seriously? It was just so stupid.

The one thing that "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" had working for it, was the animation style and the art style, which was very reminiscent of the Borderlands games and the Telltale interactive games. But that was also just about all that was working in favor of "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" in my opinion.

Well, at least the voice acting in the movie was good, so let's just be just and say that two things were working in favor of the animated movie. The only voice I recognized, however, was Nicolas Cage. I am surprised to find that Liev Schreiber also voiced a character here.

I actually gave up 25 minutes in because I was fast falling asleep. So I came back the next day to watch the rest of the movie, as my son liked it, so I wanted to check it out with him. But alas, breaking the movie up into two didn't make it an ounce better in any way. This movie was just unfathomably boring and unappealing to me.

So this was Stan Lee's final legacy, his last product to grace the cinema before his death? Well, not really a movie worthy of being a final imprint for a man of his stature. Because this movie was an abomination in every possible aspect.

I managed to sit through it in round 2, but I can in all honesty say that I am never ever returning to watch "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" again, and I will even go as far as saying that it is far worse than any of the live action "Spiderman" movies that has been spewed forth by Marvel.
3 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extinction (2018)
So much potential wasted by an absolutely horrible twist...
25 February 2019
I stumbled upon "Extinction" by perusing through the Netflix catalogue of movies. I am normally not one that is overly keen on sitting down and watching Sci-Fi movies, but the synopsis for "Extinction" had my interest caught, so I gave it a gander.

I will say that the movie started out quite nice and kept a good and interesting pacing and had a proper storyline up until the last one-third part of the movie, give or take. When it was finally revealed to the audience what was going on, then the whole movie and concept just came cascading down like a house of cards. It just made so little sense everything that had transpired up to that point in the storyline. And the armors that the visitors wore made absolutely zero sense when you come to find out what was going on.

It should be said that "Extinction" is a movie that definitely is carried by a tremendous CGI and special effects team, because it definitely looks fantastic and very realistic, and it had a very good atmosphere to it.

As for the cast, well Michael Peña really carried the majority of the movie singlehandedly with his performance. So hats off to him for what he accomplished with this movie. I was genuinely impressed with his talent in this movie.

"Extinction" is not a movie that supports more than a single viewing. Because once the big reveal has transpired, then the balloon deflates and there is zero repeatability to the movie in terms of watching it more than just a single time.

All in all, a movie that had so much potential, but took a horrible blow to the face with a horrible reveal that should have served as a jaw-dropping moment. As such, then in my opinion "Extinction" ends on being a very mediocre Sci-Fi movie, because everything that it had built up was savagely destroyed and trampled in the last third part of the movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not what I was lead to believe it would be...
22 February 2019
Well the variant cover for "Zeder" that I found was one with a zombie coming out of the ground, so naturally I picked up a copy of the movie given my fascination and interest in the zombie genre.

Little did I know that this movie was not a zombie movie. Much less did I know that I was getting myself into a very boring movie that seemed more like a random collection of filmed independent scenes that had later been edited together for being released as a movie. There was just no particular coherency to this movie, at least not much of one that actually served any plot or purpose.

The acting in the movie was adequate, taking into consideration the concept of the movie, the material the actors and actresses had to work with, and the fact that the storyline and script were so unfathomably weak.

The movie seemed to set out to want to accomplish a great many things, but never really coming full circle and delivering on what it sets out to do. So on that account I must say that director and writer Pupi Avati didn't really deliver where it mattered.

I gave up on "Zeder" (aka "Revenge of the Dead") after an hour of suffering and sitting through what felt like a mixture of random nothingness. And I can honestly say that I have no interest in returning to finish the movie at any time.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Turned out to be better than anticipated...
16 February 2019
Okay, well first of all I must admit to not being much of a fan of the superhero genre. That being said, then I did decide to sit down and watch "Reign of the Supermen" when my 8 year old son asked me if we could watch it.

So I entered "Reign of the Supermen" with no expectations. And it turned out that I was actually adequately entertained by the end result of this 2019 animated DC movie. Why? Well, because it was definitely action-packed and crammed with an abundance of fighting. Did I enjoy the storyline? No, not particularly much. I can't claim that having a bunch of variant supermen milling about to be overly interesting.

The animation and art style in "Reign of the Supermen" was actually one of the better things about this 2019 animated movie, because it was quite good. It was dynamic and kept in a very interesting art style. That definitely helped keep the animated movie afloat.

As for it being an animated movie, then having a proper voice acting performance is Alpha and Omega. Luckily they had secured that for this 2019 animated movie. I must admit that it was enjoyable with this various individual actors and actresses they had to perform the various characters and roles throughout the story.

Is "Reign of the Supermen" an animated movie that I will return to watch a second time? Definitely not. Because it just doesn't have enough contents to its script and storyline to support a second viewing for me. I suppose it is because I am not a fan of the superhero genre, so it have very little appeal to me.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ken Jeong: First Date (2019 TV Special)
This show was definitely not aimed at me as the target audience...
16 February 2019
I decided to watch this 2019 Netflix special solely because I had seen that Ming-Na Wen had recommended it on her Facebook page. And I have always found Ken Jeong to be quite funny in most of the movies that he has appeared in - particularly the "Hangover" movies, naturally.

Well, let's just say that there is a massive difference between the Ken Jeong on the stand-up comedy stage and on the comedy movies on the silver screen. The laughs from me from his delivered material was few and far in between. Sure, he did have some great moments every now and then on the screen, but he just wasn't funny enough to properly keep me entertained throughout the entire show. And truth be told, I must admit that my attention span was failing and I was starting to look up things on my phone while listening to him ramble on with half an ear.

I do enjoy stand-up comedy, but of course it is impossible to like every single comedian, especially because we all have different types of humor and apparently my humor didn't match overly well with the humor of Ken Jeong on the stage.

Hats off to him for pulling this off though, and he does have some good stories crammed within his comedy show, and respect to him and his wife for the ordeal they have gone through.

I just wasn't particularly entertained by "Ken Jeong: First Date", and I doubt that I will check out future comedy shows of his. But I will definitely keep watching his movies, because he has a lot of charisma and energy on the screen when he appears in movies.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible. Just horrible...
16 February 2019
I ended up in front of the screen watching "Iron Man & Hulk: Heroes Unlimited" solely because I have an eight year old son whom enjoy superheroes tremendously. So when he wanted to watch this 2013 animated movie, of course I obliged.

I wasn't expecting anything from an animated superhero movie, because I generally have very little interest in the superhero genre as is. And it turned out that this 2013 animated movie was one of the worst animated superhero movies I have ever witnessed.

Well, witnessed might be stretching it, because I was asleep within less than 15 minutes of delving into the ordeal that is "Iron Man & Hulk: Heroes United". Yeah, the storyline just had zero appeal to me, and it didn't help much that the Hulk character seemed to have gained a level in literacy suddenly and was talking far, far, far too much in comparison to the many movies he has been in.

The CGI and animation style in "Iron Man & Hulk: Heroes United" was like watching a 1990s computer game. Wow, for a project made in 2013, the CGI and animation was downright atrocious and abysmal to look at.

I didn't wake up before the movie had come to an end and my son woke me up, telling me that it had ended. I can honestly say that I have no interest in returning to watching "Iron Man & Hulk: Heroes United" again, because what little I did watch was just downright an eyesore and embarrassing to witness.

There are far, far better superhero movies and animated movies readily available out there, so do yourself a favor and stay well, well clear of the 2013 "Iron Man & Hulk: Heroes United" animated movie.