Reviews

4,220 Reviews
Sky high aliens...
29 October 2020
I had virtually no idea what to expect from this 2018 movie when I sat down here late in 2020 to watch it. I had never even heard about the movie, nor did I know what it was about, aside from it being a comedy that involved aliens.

So I gave "Alien Addiction" a chance.

And it turns out that writer and director Shae Sterling had managed to churn out something rather unique and entertaining. If you enjoyed movies like "Shaun of the Dead" or "Lesbian Vampire Killers", then chances are that you must certainly also will like "Alien Addiction". Why? Well, because "Alien Addiction" is to the alien genre, what "Shaun of the Dead" was to the zombie genre, and "Lesbian Vampire Killers" was to the vampire genre.

So buckle up and prepare for a crash landing that will turn your face blue and craving that irresistible high...

I found "Alien Addiction" to be a funny movie, yet at the same time also have a storyline that managed to mix comedy and seriousness well enough together to make quite the batter. I will say that I was thoroughly entertained from start to end. Especially since the movie was rather outrageous and quite out there. Talk about stoner aliens!

The acting in the movie was good, and I must say that Jimi Jackson - playing Riko - really carried the movie phenomenally well with his performance. I wasn't familiar with a single actor or actress on the cast list in this 2018 movie, which is something I enjoy, as it is always nice to see new talents that aren't already associated with previously portrayed characters in other movies.

If you want a good laugh and enjoy a spaced out alien movie, then you most certainly have to sit down to watch "Alien Addiction". My rating of this movie crash lands on a six out of ten stars.
Where was the magic?...
29 October 2020
Granted, I did not have high hopes for "The Craft: Legacy" when it was initially announced, and I dreaded the outcome of it. And sure enough, the movie was a weak imitation of the original 1996 "The Craft" movie.

Writer and director Zoe Lister-Jones failed utterly to bring something worthwhile to the screen, as "The Craft: Legacy" just felt like a watered down more family-friendly version of the 1996 movie. And that was just an abysmal turn for the movie to take. Especially since the 1996 movie was pretty good and impacting back in the day.

I am sure that "The Craft: Legacy" was meant to be a continuation of the 1996 movie, but it just failed at being an original movie in its own right, and it had none of the charm, appeal or impact that the 1996 movie had.

Sure, if you haven't seen the 1996 "The Craft" then I suppose "The Craft: Legacy" is a good enough movie. But for us that did watch it, then "The Craft: Legacy" is lacking the magic, the foreboding darkness that threatened behind the alluring call of using witch magic. And more importantly, it was lacking memorable characters.

The character gallery in "The Craft: Legacy" felt like they were using cardboard stand-in, most of them fully devoid of backstory and personalities. Even David Duchovny's character felt like a puppet just brought in for the heck of it.

Not even having the likes of David Duchovny and Michelle Monaghan in the movie could do much to lift up what was essentially a hollow and shallow movie experience.

The most interesting part about "The Craft: Legacy" was the person that showed up in the end of the movie, and get this, was present for a whole staggering 3 second or so! Now, I am not going to say whom it is, but yeah, you guessed it already, because it was that predictable.

My rating of "The Craft: Legacy" lands on a less than mediocre four out of ten stars. The movie was watchable, for sure, but this was by no means a worthy runner up to the 1996 "The Craft".
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A horror movie without scary parts...
28 October 2020
I was initially lured in by this movie's cover and the fact that it is a horror movie. And also the fact that I hadn't already seen the movie helped to win me over. So I ended up sitting down to watch the 2015 horror movie "Abandoned Dead" from writer and director Mark W. Curran.

Well, if you are unfamiliar with the horror genre and this is your introduction movie to horror movies, then I suppose you are off to a good enough start. But for a horror veteran such as myself, then "Abandoned Dead" was a swing and a miss.

For me, the plot and script was boring and uneventful. Nothing of any interest happened throughout the course of the entire movie. And while I managed to sit through the entire movie, then I can't claim to be entertained in any real way. And for a horror movie, then "Abandoned Dead" was just way too tame and uneventful.

The acting in the movie was adequate, taking into consideration the severe limitations of the script and storyline. But keep in mind that you are not in for any Shakespearian experience when you sit down to watch "Abandoned Dead".

This was, for me, a boring movie. And I cannot recommend that you waste your time, money or effort on it. Some of us did, so you don't have to.

My rating of "Abandoned Dead" is a mere two out of ten stars. While I did manage to endure the entire movie, this is by no means a movie that I will be returning to watch a second time.
Rats (2003)
Those horribly animated CGI rats will haunt you for a long, long time...
27 October 2020
Well, even for a creature feature then this 2003 from director Tibor Takács, then "Rats" (aka "Killer Rats") was just a downright bad movie.

Fair should be fair, and I will say that some parts of the story, as written by Jace Anderson, Boaz Davidson, Adam Gierasch and Brian Irving actually were interesting enough. But the movie, as a whole, just didn't cut it. And the horrible CGI animated rats didn't help sell the movie one bit.

I sat down to watch "Rats" in 2020, not really sure what I was in for. Sure, I had seen the movie's cover before, but I never found the time to actually sit down to watch it. So I did now in 2020, as I was presented with the opportunity.

First of all, I will say that I was surprised to see the likes of Ron Perlman in a low budget movie of this caliber. However, I can't really claim to say that his appearance or performance in the movie were sprucing up the overall movie much. There just simply was too many bad things stacked against "Rats", which prevented it from being a movie you could take serious.

I managed to endure 50 minutes of the ordeal, then I was ready to claw my eyes out. Actually, I was was good and ready 24 minutes into it, but I decided to stick with it and give the movie a fair chance. Come 50 minutes, I just couldn't take any more of the abominable things that transpired on the screen. And those lousy CGI rats were just the final pinch that made me give up.

"Rats" is a movie that I can't recommend that you spend your time, money or effort on, as it is just simply not worth it. I am rating "Rats" a mere, but generous, two out of ten stars. And I can honestly say that I have no intention of returning to watch the rest of the movie.
Going Berserk (1983)
Watchable, but not all that great...
27 October 2020
Oddly enough I have never actually seen the 1983 movie "Going Berserk" before now in 2020. And I have always enjoyed watching John Candy's movies, but I just never had the opportunity to sit down to watch this movie from writer Dana Olsen and director David Steinberg.

Initially I was looking forward to sitting down to watch "Going Berserk". Of course mainly because John Candy was in the lead, but also because the movie had the likes of Eugene Levy, Joe Flaherty, Alley Mills, Pat Hingle, Kurtwood Smith and Ernie Hudson on the cast list.

However, this movie, while it was watchable, just wasn't up to the standard of John Candy comedies. There was just something unique missing from the formula to make it outstanding. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that "Going Berserk" was not an entertaining movie, it was, but it just wasn't the usual John Candy special. It was the lack of the usual Candy comedy that somehow held the movie back from being more enjoyable.

I sat through "Going Berserk", and can now check it off of the to-watch-list, but this was not a movie that left a lasting impression on me, and I definitely do not feel that I had been missing out on a gem in John Candy's career.

My rating of "Going Berserk" settles on a slightly less than mediocre four out of ten stars. This is hardly a movie that I will be sitting down to watch for a second time.
The Witches (2020)
A bewitching adventure for the entire family...
26 October 2020
Granted, I can't remember the original 1990 movie, so I can't really compare this 2020 version from director Robert Zemeckis to the 1990 version from Nicolas Roeg.

Sure, one might debate whether or not the 1990 movie needed to be remade or revisited. Sure, I don't recall that movie, but I am generally not one that is pro-remakes of movies.

Regardless, I will say that the 2020 version of "The Witches" definitely was a movie that was enjoyable for the entire family. And there was enough varied contents to the movie to ensure that most people in the audience would be entertained. I know I was.

Visually then "The Witches" was quite good, which was to be expected for such an endeavor. And the special effects and CGI team definitely helped carry the movie quite the distance. I liked what they did to present the witches as being non-human creatures.

The cast in the movie was good, and with the likes of Octavia Spencer, Stanley Tucci and Anne Hathaway, to mention the most notably of performers, then you definitely were in good company throughout the course of this movie.

However, to me at least, "The Witches" is hardly a movie that warrants more than a single viewing. While the movie was enjoyable and entertaining, the storyline just didn't have enough contents to be seen more than once, unlike many other movies.

My rating of "The Witches" settles on a six out of ten stars.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Paradise Z (2020)
Slow paced zombie movie with laughable zombie make-up and pointless characters...
26 October 2020
Right, well as much of a fan of everything zombie, then I must admit that I hadn't even heard "Paradise Z" mentioned at any point. So when I was given the chance to sit down to watch writer and director Wych Kaosayananda's 2020 addition to the zombie genre, I didn't know what I was getting myself into.

But hey, if you enjoy a slow paced movie with very, very little dialogue, a lot of focus on nudity and breasts, lesbians and low budget zombie make-up, then "Paradise Z" is the movie for you.

I, however, didn't enjoy this kind of movie. First of all, the lack of dialogue throughout 80% of the movie was just dull and horrible, it took away so much from the overall enjoyment of the movie. And I must admit that I am getting very tired of almost every single newer movie has to have either a lesbian or gay relationship in it. Not that I have anything against gays or lesbians, but the whole political correctness wave that washed over Hollywood is just appalling. And it just feels forces when every single movie has such contents to it. What it wrong with just plain old straight couples?

Nonetheless, getting back on track with the review of "Paradise Z". Well, the storyline was pretty straight forward, albeit a bit on the slow paced side. And, as I mentioned above, the lack of dialogue didn't help promote the movie one bit. Nor did it help much that the characters essentially had as much appeal as cardboard cutouts, and the characters in the movie were lacking motivation, background and anything that even remotely assimilated personalities.

For a zombie movie, then "Paradise Z" was just not cutting it. And a zombie movie needs to have proper special effects and zombie make-up. Yeah, well you will not be experiencing that in "Paradise Z", let me just tell you that. First of all, the zombies were fast, agile runners whom made there horrible predatory creature sounds. It was just so bad. And then let's mention the zombie make-up, well lack thereof actually. The zombie make-up in "Paradise Z" was for the most part just people painted a grayish nuance with make-up, and worse yet, the make-up artists didn't even cover all the visible skin, which made for a horrible, sloppy presentation of zombies. Fast and poor make-up zombies, no, not a working nor winning combination right there.

"Paradise Z" came and went without leaving a much as even a dent in the zombie genre. Well, sure, if you enjoy watching pointless nudity and pretty ladies, then why not. But for us that watch the zombie movies for actual zombie contents, like a proper story, good zombie make-up and special effects, a believable apocalyptic world, etc., then "Paradise Z" is not the best of choices.

Sure, I will say that a paradise resort location in Thailand serves as an interesting choice for the filming location. Just a shame that everything else in the movie slipped through without leaving a lasting impression.

I managed to sit through "Paradise Z" to the bitter end. After all, it is a zombie movie. But I can honestly say that I wasn't impressed, much less entertained or enjoying what transpired on the screen. And a lousy script, horrible zombie make-up, pointless characters and a slow pace just didn't help win me over.

My rating of "Paradise Z" lands on a generous three out of ten stars. This movie is not one that brought anything new or useful to the zombie genre. And believe you me, if you skip out on watching it, you will not have been wasting your time, money and effort. Some of us did, so you don't have to.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
12 Hour Shift (2020)
An offbeat horror comedy that ultimately failed to deliver where it mattered...
25 October 2020
Well, I will be the first to admit that "12 Hour Shift" from writer and director Brea Grant was something else, for better or worse. Like it or not, then this isn't your average horror comedy, or whatever genre it falls into.

Personally, I wasn't overly thrilled about this movie. It was the pacing of the storyline and the absurdity of the events that made me slip in between the grasp of director Brea Grant. I didn't really enjoy the movie, truth be told. Sure, it was watchable, and there were parts of it that were actually good, especially for an absurd dark comedy, but the movie as a whole was just a swing and a miss for me.

The storyline was just a bit too far out there, especially towards the last 30 minutes of the movie, then everything just spun out of control and the movie went from being out there to being completely lost beyond the scope of sight. The entire movie was just permeated by a sense of lack of realism, as most of the things transpiring throughout the storyline were just too far fetched to actually have much of any footing in reality.

Initially I was thrilled to see Angela Bettis in the movie, and I will admit that her performance definitely helped to keep the movie afloat, as she is well-placed in offbeat horror movies with elements of comedy as well. And it was also interesting that they had David Arquette appear in the movie, just a shame that he wasn't given more screen time, because he could definitely have spruced up the overall feel of the movie.

The cast ensemble was good, and people were actually doing good jobs with their given characters and roles, just a shame that the script and storyline was sort of restrictive and limiting for the performers.

I managed to sit through the entire ordeal, but honestly I wasn't overly entertained or enjoying the storyline. As such, I am forced to give the movie a less than mediocre four out of ten stars. The movie definitely had a great amount of potential, but it was just steered in a wrong direction.
Tar (2020)
Nothing outstanding to be found in the tar pits...
25 October 2020
Granted, I wasn't really sure what the movie "Tar" from writers Timothy Nuttall and Aaron Wolf was going to be like. Initially I had thought it was a horror movie when I sat down to watch it. But perusing IMDb, I quickly discovered that the movie was labeled as a mystery drama. Already there, some of the air deflated from the balloon.

Sure, while "Tar" is watchable, it just wasn't a particularly entertaining or enjoyable movie. Why? Well, simply put because far too little of any worth or interest happened throughout the course of the movie with director Aaron Wolf at the helm. The events that took place throughout the movie just weren't sufficient enough to sustain the movie, nor really keep it afloat as it was sinking due to the prolonged and slow pacing of the story.

And the movie's synopsis brandish a 'mysterious creature'. Just where in the movie was that? All I saw was a man in rags with tar smeared on him. And the face mask or make-up made him look more like an orc from "The Lord of the Rings" than it made him look like a mysterious creature.

As for the special effects in the movie, well those were actually adequate. Well, aside from the creature design, which was just atrocious.

While I managed to sit through the entire course of "Tar", it was a slow paced journey, where I was losing interest a couple of times along the way. But I stuck with it.

The acting in the movie was adequate, taking into consideration the limitation of script and lack of interesting characters. It was actually a nice touch to have Graham Greene in the movie, because he definitely added something worthwhile with his performance.

All in all, "Tar" is not just an outstanding or memorable movie. I am rating it a generous four out of ten stars. And this is hardly the type of movie that will have you returning to watch it a second time, as the movie's storyline and script is just too simplistic and can't sustain more than a single viewing.
I Am Toxic (2018)
Sometimes it is better to let sleeping corpses lie...
25 October 2020
I was given the chance to sit down and watch the 2018 Argentinian "Soy Tóxico" (aka "I am Toxic") movie here in 2020. And it being a zombie movie, of course I ended up sitting down to watch it. Anything zombiesque has my attention right away.

Granted, I had not even heard about "Soy Tóxico" from writers Pablo Parés, Paulo Soria and Daniel de la Vega prior to sitting down to watch it. But still, it being a zombie movie was more than enough. And perhaps "Soy Tóxico" would turn out to be a good movie?

Well, no, it didn't actually turn out to be a good movie. First of all, the mixture of "Mad Max" and your typical doomsday zombie apocalypse settings just didn't work out for me. And nor did it help much that the storyline was unfathomably dull, mundane and boring, as were the characters in the storyline.

The actors and actresses in the movie were struggling in an uphill battle, given the fact that they had next to nothing to work with in terms of a properly interesting script and storyline.

A zombie movie needs good special effects, and luckily "Soy Tóxico" actually had adequate special effects and make-up, which helped carry the movie some of the way. But the effects were just not sufficient to make up for all the shortcomings that made up "Soy Tóxico".

This 2018 movie from director Pablo Parés came and went without as much as a groan, much less a leaving a lasting bite mark in the zombie genre. The movie was just too plain and generic for that. Which results in my rating of a mere three out of ten stars. "Soy Tóxico" is not a movie that puts Argentina on the zombie movie map, unfortunately, at least not in a memorable fashion.

Actually, the movie's cover was the most interesting part about the movie.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lots of potential that never were utilized...
24 October 2020
I had not even heard about this 2019 movie when I was given the chance to sit down to watch it here in 2020. But from the movie's cover, this most definitely was a horror movie, and that was what lured me in.

Well, for a horror movie, then "The Jack in the Box" was bland and rather generic. Sure, it was a watchable movie, but writer and director Lawrence Fowler just never managed to bring the movie out of the mediocre lane.

The storyline in "The Jack in the Box" was pretty straight forward, albeit very, very generic. And it was contents that you have seen in other previous horror movies many times before; a demonic entity being caged up inside a physical box, unleashed unto the world unwittingly by someone not knowing what powers they were meddling with. From that point on, the movie was just overly predictable and followed a very generic how-to-make-a-horror movie blueprint, which left very little room for surprises and plot twists, apparently, because there were none of such in the entire movie.

I will say, however, that the demonic Jack in the Box was actually nicely made and had a good, scary appearance. But it was just a bit under-used and didn't come off as being malignant and evil enough. It felt more like just a creepy uncle creeping around in a clown costume. So writer Lawrence Fowler didn't really manage to create something that was all that spooky or disturbing.

The acting in "The Jack in the Box" was adequate, but it was clear that the actors and actresses had precious little contents to work with in terms of script and character development.

All in all, "The Jack in the Box" was a watchable movie, but it was hardly an outstanding or scary horror movie. My rating of "The Jack in the Box" is a four out of ten stars. Watch it if you have the chance and if you have a preference for horror movies, but just don't get your hopes up for a horror masterpiece. This is, however, the type of movie that you watch once, shelf it and never return to watch it again.
Alice Júnior (2019)
Wow! Just wow...
24 October 2020
When I sat down to watch the 2019 movie "Alice Júnior" from writers Luiz Bertazzo, Adriel Nizer and director Gil Baroni, I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. But it being a relatively new movie and a movie that I hadn't already seen, of course I found the time to sit down to watch it.

I didn't know what the story was about, and let me just tell you that I was more than genuinely entertained by what writers Luiz Bertazzo and Adriel Nizer managed to conjure up for the storyline and script for this movie. This was a very wholehearted story, and one that you easily got submerged into.

And of course, the very detailed and fleshed out character gallery definitely helped bring the movie to life on the screen in a fulfilling and believable manner. Especially because the characters were so nuanced and layered.

Which leads me to the cast. Sure, it is one thing to have interesting characters, but a movie also need a good and skilled cast of actors and actresses to bring the characters to life on the screen. And "Alice Júnior" definitely had that. I was really impressed with lead actress Anna Celestino Mota's performance as Alice Júnior. She was just phenomenal in this movie.

There as just something profound and beautiful about this movie, its storyline and characters, and it panned out nicely together on the screen for a very enjoyable movie experience.

I will say that there is a good flow and continuation to the storyline and the progression and growth of the characters. I didn't find a single dull moment throughout the course of the movie.

My rating of "Alice Júnior" is a certain eight out of ten stars. I was more than genuinely entertained by this movie. And if you get the chance to watch this 2019 movie from director Gil Baroni, you definitely should do so. This is a truly unique and beautiful movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Now that's was a big rat...
24 October 2020
Well, sure, I didn't really have much of any expectations to this 2020 movie titled "Big Freaking Rat", but still I sat down to watch it on the offbeat chance that it would actually be one of those movies that are so bad that they are actually becoming good.

But "Big Freaking Rat" from writer and Thomas J. Churchill wasn't exactly one of those movies. Sure, it was watchable, but the movie wasn't particularly impressive or memorable.

First of all, the storyline and the characters were just too bland, and at times actually pointless. And that was something that the movie suffered from, to be bluntly honest.

As for the special effects, well... This is not a top notch multi-million dollar special effects movie, no doubt about it. This is a low budget and low practical special effects movie, pure and simple. I will say, however, that the rat was actually working out well in favor of the movie. Sure, it was horribly fake and you never saw it in full length, size and view. But there was just something odd about it and it worked out well in the way they opted to present and make use of the massive rat on the screen.

However, the rat just wasn't enough to salvage the movie, and it wasn't an outstanding movie experience. I am rating "Big Freaking Rat" a mere three out of ten stars. Good enough for a single viewing, but it is the type of movie that you will forget about once seen and never return to watch it a second time. "Big Freaking Rat" was not a glorious addition to the creature feature genre.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Was this a necessity to make?...
23 October 2020
While "Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan" is a watchable and at times funny movie, it was not really as entertaining as the 2006 "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan" movie.

Granted, I am not much of a fan of Sacha Baron Cohen, but I was given the chance to sit down and watch the 2020 sequel movie, so of course I did so.

I will say that there were a handful of scenes in the movie that were good for a laugh, and even also a couple of cringeworthy scenes, but the overall of the movie just doesn't stack up to compare to the first movie, which was way more funny and cringeworthy.

This 2020 movie is definitely a movie that will be a win with fan of Sacha Baron Cohen, no doubt about that. But for the average movie viewer, I think the comedy and the movie as a whole will fall short.

Personally I didn't really see the need for a sequel to the 2006 movie. But since we were given one, it was a shame that it wasn't much more of a stronger movie experience. I mean, it just felt sort of half-hearted most of the time, as if Sacha Baron Cohen was playing it safe and just running on auto-pilot.

While the movie was watchable, it was not a movie that impressed me much. My rating of this 2020 sequel lands on a very mediocre five out of ten stars.
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You might be bored out of your seat...
23 October 2020
First of all, I must say that the movie's cover/poster was actually the best part about the entire movie. Yeah, a sad thing to say, I know, but that is actually the truth.

And the movie's cover was just way too reminiscent of the 2002 movie "Ghost Ship", for better or worse. Sure, I like the cover of both movies, but they are actually two very similar covers. And the movies actually share similarities as well. So go figure.

Well, the storyline told in the 2020 movie "Haunting of the Mary Celeste" turned out to be rather mundane and boring actually. Very little of anything worthwhile watching took place throughout the course of the entire movie. Which made for a very prolonged movie, let me just tell you that. So in my opinion then writers Jerome Olivier and David Ross didn't really manage to deliver a wholesome and entertaining movie.

Richard Roundtree was actually the actor whose performance carried the movie and made it somewhat bearable to sit through the ordeal that is known as "Haunting of the Mary Celeste". It should be said that the acting performances were adequate from all people on the cast list, but it was Richard Roundtree that stood out as the most memorable performer in the movie.

For a horror movie then "Haunting of the Mary Celeste" was bland, so very, very bland. And there was absolutely nothing scary about the story whatsoever. So I can't claim to be overly impressed with what director Shana Betz managed to do with the material from the writers.

If you enjoy a proper horror movie then "Haunting of the Mary Celeste" is not the best of choices, as there are far more scary horror movies readily available.

My rating of "Haunting of the Mary Celeste" ends on a mere three out of ten stars. I wasn't impressed, nor particularly entertained. And this is definitely not a movie that I will be returning to watch a second time.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad Hair (2020)
Having a bad hair day?...
23 October 2020
Sure, I hadn't even heard about this movie from writer and director Justin Simien prior to sitting down to watch it. So I actually didn't know what I was in for here, only that it was allegedly a horror comedy movie of sorts. So I managed to find the time to sit down and watch it.

Well, while "Bad Hair" was a watchable movie, it was not really a movie that fell well into my preference of entertaining or taste. The movie turned out to be adequate for a viewing for sure, but it just failed to properly entice me and entertain me. You might say there was something hairy about it... pardon the pun!

I think that of all the cast that appeared in "Bad Hair", then it was only Vanessa Williams and James Van Der Beek that I were familiar with. I do enjoy watching new and unfamiliar talents on the screen though, and I will say that the acting in the movie was actually good.

The script and storyline, however, was just somewhat a bit of a swing and a miss in terms of properly appealing to me. The movie was just a bit too bland, and bordering on being a bit far too out there in terms of the hair being alive and killing people.

My rating of "Bad Hair" is a four out of ten stars. Give it a go, it might just be the type of offbeat horror comedy that will find appeal with you. I just wasn't won over by what writer and director Justin Simien delivered with the 2020 movie titled "Bad Hair". I am sure that there is a large audience out there for a horror comedy such as this, but of course a movie doesn't find appeal with every single individual out there watching it.
3 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Sacred (2009)
The movie was just too predictable and generic...
23 October 2020
I had never heard about this 2009 horror movie titled "The Sacred" prior to now in 2020 when I had the chance to sit down and watch it. And it being a horror movie that I hadn't already seen, of course I found the time to sit down to watch it.

However, "The Sacred", from writers Sharon Reed and Jose Zambrano Cassella just wasn't an outstanding movie. Sure, it was watchable, no doubt about it. But this movie was by no means an impressive foray into the horror genre, nor was it a particularly memorable movie. The whole movie just reeked of being too generic and predictable.

But hey, at least it was not amongst the worst of horror movies around, and that counts for something at least.

Now, the storyline in "The Sacred" was pretty straight forward and very easy to follow. But the storyline and plot were being held back and weighed down by its over-predictability. The writers just offered no surprises to the viewers as the movie trotted on.

The acting in the movie was adequate, but the actors and actresses were struggling with a limited script in terms of dialogue, events and having characters with as much appeal as wet cardboard.

I suppose "The Sacred" has some worth if you are a newcomer to the horror genre. But for a seasoned horror veteran as myself then this was a mere stroll in the park.

Not an overly enjoyable movie, nor is it a movie that I will be returning to watch a second time around, much less being a movie that I would willingly recommend that you spend your time, money and effort on.

My rating of "The Sacred" lands on a three out of ten stars.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sometimes you just got to know when to not look up to the skies...
23 October 2020
Well, truth be told the title of the movie set off an alarm clock already. I mean, "Asteroid-a-Geddon", seriously? Yeah, well still I ended up sitting down to watch this disaster movie. And then the logo of The Asylum came up on the screen, and I just knew it was going to be one of those movies.

Let's just be honest, The Asylum is not exactly known for their track record of putting out super impressive movies. Sure, once in a blue moon they manage to release something that is outstanding in comparison to their usual releases. But as it happened to turn out, "Asteroid-a-Geddon" was not one of those uniquely outstanding movies.

In fact, the storyline in "Asteroid-a-Geddon" was just so generic and mundane that you could actually drift off to Slumberland and wake up a bit later and continue to watch the movie as it you never missed a beat. Not to mention that the movie was as predictable as these type of disaster movies come.

The special effects in "Asteroid-a-Geddon" were adequate. But for a movie made in 2020, the special effects left much to be wanted. I mean, it felt like I was watching a movie from the late 1990s or thereabout. The special effects served their purpose well enough, hence being adequate, but they were by no account impressive or visually bedazzling.

"Asteroid-a-Geddon" doesn't really boast itself on having that much of an impressive cast list. I mean, there was Eric Roberts as the only familiar face to me. And let's just be blunt, I mean, he is Eric Roberts for better or worse.

This disaster movie from writer and director Geoff Meed is not one that you have to sit down to watch, as it is by no means an outstanding or memorable addition to the natural disaster movie genre. In fact, it offers nothing new to the genre, actually.

My rating of "Asteroid-a-Geddon" lands on a generous three out of ten stars.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny Farm (1988)
Welcome to the country...
22 October 2020
The 1988 movie "Funny Farm" is definitely a Chevy Chase classic, and it is also an archetypical movie of what you would expect from Chevy Chase in that period of time, for better or worse.

I will say that the storyline is good. Sure, it is predictable and generic even, but it works out well enough, given the fact that this is a comedy, and also because of the actors and actresses starring in the movie. But the storyline offers more than just ordinary comedy; as there are also elements of romance and drama to it.

"Funny Farm" is a fun and enjoyable movie, and if you enjoyed the comedies of the late 1980s then you should also be right at home watching "Funny Farm" from writers Jay Cronley and Jeffrey Boam. And director George Roy Hill definitely brought the storyline to life on the screen in an entertaining manner.

This movie has the talents of the likes of Chevy Chase and Madolyn Smith Osborne on the cast list. Both of which you should be familiar with if you have been watching movies in the late 1980s.

I think "Funny Farm" is a wonderful addition to Chevy Chase's career, and it is the type of movie that you can watch more than once.

My rating of "Funny Farm" is a six out of ten stars.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a surprise of a movie...
22 October 2020
Right, well I had virtually no idea what I was getting into when I sat down to watch the 2020 movie "Monster Problems" (aka "Love and Monsters"). But I must admit that I was genuinely interested in the movie given the presentation of the poster.

And now that I have seen the movie, I must just say: wow!

"Monster Problems" was definitely a wonderful surprise of an entertaining and enjoyable movie. It turned out to be one of the more memorable and entertaining of movies that I have seen in 2020 - and I watch a lot of movies.

The storyline told in "Monster Problems" was pretty straight forward, but it was at the same time a very interesting storyline that definitely appealed to me in many ways, especially since I have always enjoyed a good creature feature. And with the sheer size of the creatures in "Monster Problems", then I was in for quite the treat.

Sure, you can say that the main plot was somewhat sappy and a bit on the simplistic side, perhaps appealing more to a younger romantically hazed audience. But the combination of the sappy romance, mixed with the action, suspense and monstrous creatures actually made for quite an enjoyable cocktail.

Visually then I was without a doubt impressed with how "Monster Problems" turned out. The creature designs were just spectacular and they looked very realistic in the way they moved, behaved and appeared. So the CGI team definitely delivered some nice eye candy with this movie.

The acting in the movie was good, and was definitely impressed with the performance of lead actor Dylan O'Brien. I was not familiar with him, but he was really great in this movie. I think it was a shame that Jessica Henwick and Michael Rooker weren't given more screen time, because they brought a lot of good things to the movie with their performances and their characters. And the dog Dodge (playing Boy), well he was just spectacular, what a well-trained dog, and it had such great on-camera presence.

I can warmly recommend that you take the time and effort to sit down and watch "Monster Problems", because this movie was great. I was genuinely surprised and entertained with what writers Brian Duffield and Matthew Robinson managed to deliver.

My rating of "Monster Problems" is a sure eight out of ten stars. This movie deserves a sequel, no question about it.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very atmospheric and genuinely creepy movie...
22 October 2020
"Prince of Darkness" is definitely one of the more genre defining and memorable horror movies of the late 1980s. And that is definitely because of writer and director John Carpenter's accomplishment with this particular movie project.

The atmosphere in "Prince of Darkness" is something that really works for the movie, as it intensifies throughout the course of the movie, and the events that transpire in the storyline add layers upon layers of atmospheric dread and suspense. So it gradually builds up and director John Carpenter delivers a very nice presentation of the movie to the audience.

This 1987 horror movie is driven by a very well-written, detailed and intense storyline, wherein some adequately detailed characters mill about. But for me, it is first and foremost the storyline and the atmosphere that defines this movie.

The movie has a rather good ensemble of actors and actresses on the cast list, some very iconic faces from the 1980s, with the likes of Donald Pleasence, Victor Wong, Dennis Dun and Peter Jason. And it has always been enjoyable to watch Alice Cooper in this movie, despite of not actually having that big of a role to play.

Visually then I will say that "Prince of Darkness" actually still managed to hold its ground even now in 2020. Sure, the effects are somewhat outdated, naturally, but they actually still are watchable and passable today. The special effects actually still work quite well even for a movie this old.

If you haven't already seen "Prince of Darkness", then I can warmly recommend that you do so, because this is definitely one of the more memorable of horror movies that made it out of the late 1980s.

My rating of "Prince of Darkness" is a seven out of ten stars.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another great Leslie Nielsen spoof...
21 October 2020
Well, there is no doubt about it, Leslie Nielsen was just the king of spoof comedy movies. And he did it marvelously. So of course the 1998 movie "Wrongfully Accused" would be no different.

If you have seen other movies with Leslie Nielsen, such as "Airplane" or "Naked Gun", then you know what you are in for when you sit down to watch the 1998 movie "Wrongfully Accused" from writer and director Pat Proft.

The storyline is good, and there is a good amount and mixture of both the comedy that Leslie Nielsen did so well and spoofs on other movies. So this is definitely a funny and enjoyable movie. A Leslie Nielsen classic.

My rating of "Wrongfully Accused" is a six out of ten stars. If you haven't already seen this movie, you should do so, if you are given the chance. "Wrongfully Accused" is definitely one for the fans of Leslie Nielsen.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An interesting take on the werewolf genre...
20 October 2020
Initially, I must admit that I didn't have much of any expectations for the 2020 movie titled "The Wolf of Snow Hollow". Why? Well, I hadn't heard about it, and usually werewolf movies tend to be dubious.

But still, this being a new movie that I hadn't already seen, of course I sat down to watch it. And it being a werewolf movie definitely helped win me over.

And I must say that I was actually genuinely entertained by writer and director Jim Cummings's movie. It was a rather well-written storyline that definitely had some good flavor to it, and the plot twist was actually good; I enjoyed the way the storyline panned out, especially since it was built up so that you were expecting it to be the most obvious of choices as to whom was the werewolf in Snow Hollow.

The acting performances in "The Wolf of Snow Hollow" were quite good, and were for the most part done by actors and actresses that I weren't already familiar with. And that is something I enjoy in movies, seeing new and unfamiliar talents whose faces aren't already associated with previously portrayed characters in other movies.

The special effects in this movie were actually quite good, taking into consideration that this was not a movie that were heavily reliant on special effects to carry it.

I think that "The Wolf of Snow Hollow" is definitely a worth addition to the werewolf genre, and I can warmly recommend that you watch the movie if you enjoy werewolf movies.

My rating of "The Wolf of Snow Hollow" settles on a well-deserved six out of ten stars.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Homewrecker (I) (2019)
Surprisingly good...
20 October 2020
Initially I didn't really have any expectations for the 2019 movie "Homewrecker" from writers Precious Chong, Alex Essoe and Zach Gayne, as I hadn't even heard about the movie prior to sitting down to watch it in 2020. I ended up sitting down to watch it, as I hadn't already seen it and I was given the chance to watch it. So of course I did that.

And it turns out that "Homewrecker" was actually a rather enjoyable movie, so it was well worth taking the time out to watch it. And this is definitely a movie that I can recommend you sit down to watch, especially if you enjoy an offbeat horror comedy.

Now, the storyline in "Homewrecker" is not one that require a PH.D. in any sort to keep up with, because it is a very basic and simplistic storyline. Yet director Zach Gayne managed to take very little and make it into something grand. So that was quite the accomplishment.

Something that really carries the movie is the performances of Precious Chong (playing Linda) and Alex Essoe (playing Michelle). Especially Precious Chong, because she was just phenomenal in the movie. I am not familiar with her from other movies, but she really performed well as the unstable and sort of psychotic Linda.

I was genuinely surprised and entertained by "Homewrecker" and I am rating it a six out of ten stars. If you get the chance to sit down and watch this movie, I recommend that you do so.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Boredom at Death Valley Junction...
18 October 2020
Well, given the movie's cover/poster, I had expected this to be more of a western-themed horror movie, but it turns out that it wasn't to be. In fact, this was more of a low budget anything-but-interesting horror movie.

The storyline told in "Haunting at Death Valley Junction" was just way too mundane, slow-paced and uneventful for my liking. And I ended up getting up 49 minutes into the movie, after having been bored senseless for more than half of that time, and turning it off. I just couldn't take anymore of absolutely nothing interesting happening as the movie trotted on in an unfathomably slow pace.

As for the acting in the movie, well... Let's just say that the movie definitely bears witness to the fact that the actors and actresses in the movie virtually had nothing to work with in terms of a properly interesting storyline, and the performances were just radiating an amateurish vibe.

"Haunting at Death Valley Junction" is a low budget movie, there is no doubt about it. But that does not make a movie horrible by default. However, the lack of a proper storyline and the boredom that just permeated the entire movie was the telltale sign of it being a movie that just didn't make the cut.

This is a movie that I have absolutely no interest in returning to finish watching. And I can't recommend that you spend your time, money or effort on this movie from writer and director James S. Horton.

My rating of "Haunting at Death Valley Junction" lands on a generous two out of ten stars.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.