Granted, the cinematography was very good, but the overall movie is just atrocious! Starting off with a slo-mo sex scene which leaves little to the imagination, the film goes downhill from there. After their kid falls out of a window to his death, the couple head off to their cabin in the woods to grieve. What follows is copious amounts of dialogue mixed with some of the most cringe inducing scenes that anyone has ever witnessed.
There is no redeeming value to this film, and I am shocked at the awards it garnered. Some scenes were almost enough to make me want to turn the DVD off. Despite being broken up into "Chapters" - the film has no real flow. It felt like it was 20 minutes at a time of the two leads talking, followed by what in my opinion is torture porn that would be enough for most people to walk out of the film.
Some of the more nasty highlights would include:
- Sex scenes which include shots of full on penetration.
- A scene where Gainsbourg is lying naked in the forest masturbating, until Dafoe arrives on scene and starts to have sex with her while arms emerge from the tree stump they lie on.
- An especially nasty scene where she smashes his testicles with a log and then masturbates him until he ejaculates blood.
- The follow on to that bit where she drills a hole in his leg, sticks her finger in the wound and then bolts a weight to his leg.
- And who can forget the infamous scene near the end where she slides a pair of scissors into her vagina and removes her clitoris.
If this is considered art, then cinema is on a downhill slide. This film is not for the squeamish, and I cannot recommend the title to anyone. Avoid at all costs.