Reviews

TRON (1982)
One Of The Best Looking Movies Of The 1980s
11 October 2019
A computer hacker is forced into the digital world.

This has improved with age. I clearly remember seeing this in 1982, I enjoyed it back then, but despite me being a life long science fiction fan, in 1982 I just could not totally get my mind around the far fetched plot. I am a bit more comfortable with it today.

Today, I am simply amazed at the use of colour in the film. In fact, I would say that TRON is one of the very best looking movies of the 1980s.

One problem. During this period it was just expected that science fiction movies have a grand musical score (Star Wars, Empire. Jedi, Disney's Black Hole, Battlestar Galactica, etc) and when such a score was missing - as it is with TRON - the viewer left the cinema feeling like something was missing from the flick. We get that here.

But all things considered, TRON it well worth owning on DVD as you will wish to return to it with repeat viewings. As for sequel TRON Legacy (2010), it is well worth seeing, but don't expect the fireworks you got with this original.
City of Ember (2008)
Under-rated, Under-rated Gem - Parhaps Too Retro For 2008??
29 September 2019
Kid's film about dramas in an underground city.

Take away the CGI in the later sections of the flick, and you get something that could pass as a movie from the 1980s or 1990s. And I think this is why it failed at the box office. Everything from the slow pace to the fine musical score was like something from the last century. Today's kids get a diet of super fast paced epics and this quirky little gem would have seemed a bit out of place to them.

But to a middle aged science fiction lover like me, it was great. And I have not seen such great set design since "Titanic" all the way back in 1997. An older viewer like me also welcomes the sight of crusty Martin Landau who did science fiction all the way back in the 1960s and 1970s (B&W The Outer Limits and Space 1999).

In a nutshell: for lovers of retro science fiction but try and get the kids to give it a chance.
Wonder Woman (1975–1979)
A Review From A Science Fiction Point Of View
29 September 2019
Prime time 70s superhero series about a woman with fantastic powers.

Firstly the theme tune, and the images (animated or non-animated) that go with the theme song, is/was outstanding. Each season the opening would change so there are in fact three or four intros you must track down on YouTube! All intros rank as some of the best intros seen on TV ever!

The series itself? It was enjoyed more in my 1970s childhood but some of it still stands up today. I personally call myself a science fiction fan rather than a Wonder Woman fan so I liked the episodes with a strong sci-fi element the most:

Season 2: Mind Stealers From Outer Space (two-parter). Love the Star Wars (1977) look. Love the stock footage from This Island Earth (1955).

Season 2: The Bermuda Triangle Crisis. Stock footage of the submarine Seaview from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (1964-68) is used.

Season 3: Time Bomb. People from earth's future appear in the 1970s. Stock footage from Space 1999 (1974-77) is used.

Season 3: Gault's Brain. Character actor John Carradine does the voice of a living human brain in a jar. Outstanding guest stars all round!

Season 3: The Boy Who Knew Her Secret (two-parter). Misleading episode title as this more about remaking Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.

These seven episodes are from the years when WW had left the 1940s and moved into the 1970s. The series started in the 1940s. WW season one was billed as a "campy" female take on 1966 Batman. Well, I can proudly say that I think 1966 Batman is one of the greatest TV shows ever made so someone like myself should welcome WW season one with open arms, correct? I liked year one and found it amusing sometimes, but frankly, instead of the promoted "camp" I was more interested in the wonderful 1940s vintage cars all over the place. Make of that what you will?

Why the switch to crazy sci-fi in season 3? The show got a new producer that year - Bruce Lansbury - who was known for a cult sci-fi series: The Fantastic Journey (1977). He brought with him a new music composer - Richard LaSalle (ex-Land Of The Giants) - and you could say that Lansbury and LaSalle turned the Wonder Woman series upside down in a really good way. Enjoy!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Secrets of Isis (1975–1976)
Still Okay But Shazam! Is Better!
28 September 2019
70s Saturday morning kid's show about a female superhero: Isis.

I had two reactions to this series so here we go:

My 1970s childhood reaction. I thought this series was one of the great wonders of the world. Isis seemed supercool to me, the series plots were fine, the action scenes were outstanding and this series was generally speaking: must-see-TV.

My current middle aged adult reaction. Today I often proudly go down memory lane and watch TV shows of my youth, and I have a great time. But I am sorry to report that this Isis series is missing a lot of the punch it had but related series of the day - Shazam! (1974-76) - still stands tall the way it did decades ago.

But that does not mean that Isis is not worth a look in this century. There are a few episodes that are still wonderful entertainment - mainly "Lucky" and "The Sound Of Silence". "Lucky" is a touching tale of a kid's relationship with his pet dog. "Silence" actually introduces science fiction into the series as a stolen force field makes trouble for all concerned.

And there were a few episodes where John Davey (Captain Marvel in Shazam!) made a guest appearance, and this was a thrill. Isis and Shazam! also shared many of the same music cues during the run of both shows. I would say the music cues were about 40% of the entertainment value in Isis.

However, the Isis series really ran into problems towards the end and the last three episodes - Year Of The Dragon, Now You See It..., ...And Now You Don't - rank as some of the worst Saturday morning TV of the 70s.

If you wish to re-visit all those old live-action 70s Saturday morning TV shows I would consider watching Shazam!, Ark 11, Land Of The Lost, Bigfoot and Wildboy...and maybe leave Isis to the end of your viewing list. Enjoy!
A Review From A Science Fiction Point Of View
20 September 2019
Hit and miss science fiction series of the 70s about a part-mechanical man.

I personally call myself a science fiction fan, so I was drawn to the episodes that had a strong science fiction element (the various tales about killer robots, the $7 Million Man, killer death probes, Bigfoot, space aliens, the spacey lost island). Also, season five had a two-part show set on the moon - The Dark Side Of The Moon.

But that does not mean the more mundane adventures were no good. Season three had a great hour called Big Brother, season five had a semi-disaster movie about a Killer Wind. Season five also had a two-part tale called - Sharks - that had just a touch of 1960s series Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

There were several episodes (the pilots and season one went all out with this) where Steve Austin would go to some less advanced country and deal with some problem. These episodes, obviously filmed on the Universal backlot, were where the series ran into problems with me. In fact, at times I was even clicking the picture search on my DVD player because the slow pace was just killing these tedious adventures.

The SMDM DVDs are advertised as being "totally re-mastered" which is a load of rubbish. The picture quality is often rather average. Oddly enough, the box set features a few episodes from sister series - The Bionic Woman - and these episodes ARE re-mastered?

In a nutshell, if you are a sci-fi nut like me, I strongly suggest you get the DVD box set, but you might need to be a bit selective about which episodes you decide to watch (so this review will help you out). Enjoy.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lost in Space: Target: Earth (1968)
Season 3, Episode 16
Clever Dialogue, Outer Space & Time Tunnel Props
28 May 2019
Will must stop aliens from invading earth.

Wow! We are now in 1968 episodes and young Billy Mumy (Will Robinson) is starting to look taller and older.

In my memory I have always paired up this episode up with another year three hour - The Anti-Matter Man - as both tales take themselves rather seriously and John Robinson has an evil double in both shows. However, Matter Man has better direction, much better photography and is free of the silly start seen in Target: Earth.

But Target: Earth has a lot to offer and is often set in outer space - unlike Matter Man! So both hours are very special to me!

The best moments of the hour come when when the doubles of the Robinsons come out with clever dialogue - "Sandwiches are earth food Dr Smith, not ours" (Judy), "Quickly, your name, the planet of your birth and your normal life span?" (John).

And finally, a touch of QM's The Invaders (1967) as the doubles have mutated hands and The Time Tunnel (1966) power core prop can be seen in the alien base.
The Fly (1958)
Well Made Sci-Fi/Horror
26 May 2019
By mistake, a scientist turns into a man-sized fly.

Creepy, creepy stuff! I like horror movies but am more into science fiction. This film covers both genres very well. Unlike many 1950s sci-fi flicks this one is in colour which gives it a lavish look and feel. The script is solid, the acting is fine and it contains two scenes (one being the famous ending) that you will remember forever.

Is the movie for kids of this century? Well it was not kids of the 1950s to 1970s I can tell you that much but the youth of today might be able to handle it a bit better (but the ending will scare them).

Sequel one: Return Of The Fly (1959). Reasonably entertaining but the switch from colour to B&W is a way too obvious hint that the budget for this one was way lower than the first. Okay movie.

Sequel two: Curse Of The Fly (1965). IMDb actually has several positive reviews for this movie? Some even like it more than the first one? All I can say is that this is just so different to the first two movies that it can hardly be called a "Fly movie". For starters it was made in the UK and not Hollywood?? I hate it but some others like it.
The Other Side Of The Coin To Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
20 May 2019
Underwater thrills with a sea creature mixed with personal human dramas.

The sea creature is the true star of this flick and he can be seen in colour for once, unlike the older Creature From The Black Lagoon monster which was in B&W.

I like this Destination Inner Space a lot but the underwater miniature effects are terrible and the human conflicts are well performed but take up just too much screen time. In some ways this film could be described as the the other side of the coin to the Voyage to to the Bottom of the Sea TV series of the day (which Gary Merrill even appeared in once).

In VTTBOTS producer Irwin Allen demanded no small talk or human drama of this sort in the monster episodes. Also, VTTBOTS won Emmy Awards for the outstanding submarine miniature effects which leave the Destination Inner Space miniatures for dead!

But this is beginning to sound like a bashing of DIS, no it is not, I love the movie, but I just wish to point out that I like VTTBOTS more.
Great Look At Low-Budget Movie Company
29 April 2019
Very detailed and sometimes funny look at Cannon Studios, a film company that was big in the 1980s.

Cannon kept putting out films like there was no tomorrow, they never stopped to check their books to see if they could afford to do these block busters, it was always just full steam ahead! This was part of the problem.

Late 80s flicks Lifeforce, Invaders From Mars, Masters Of The Universe and Superman 4 are the movies that caught my attention back then. I never knew all the behind-the-scene-dramas back then - now I do thanks to this tell-all movie!

After watching Electric Boogaloo, you will find yourself wanting to re-visit these old films and look at them in a new light. Invaders From Mars is actually a well made re-make of an old 1950s film by the same name. Very entertaining.

My only mild issue with this Electric Boogaloo is that title itself. Perhaps they should have dumped the EB and just called it The Untold Story Of Cannon Films. I never knew about this movie in 2014 as I probably just read the first two words of the title, and only found it by going to my local DVD library in 2019.
Doctor Who (1963–1989)
Very Famous UK Science Fiction Series
1 February 2019
One of the most famous science fiction shows ever!

I mostly became a fan after the 2005 reboot appeared, I started hiring out old DVDs to see how it all started in 1963 to 1989.

The reboot is a lot more fast paced and the world (earth) seems to be coming to end all the time, this Doctor Who series of the last century is slower and less eventful. I don't think I have a favourite of the two, the old stuff and the 2005 reboot both have their strong points and not so strong points.

However, I don't like the 2018 change of Doctor Who being played a by woman. Perhaps she/he (???) will go back to being a man one day??

Here are some of my favourite 1963 to 1989 Doctor Who shows. Many good ones have been left out for the simple reason that I have not had time to watch them all yet....

The Tenth Planet (B&W). The Mind Robber (B&W). The Moonbase (B&W). The War Games (B&W). Carnival Of Monsters (Colour). Terror Of The Autons (Colour). The Two Doctors (Colour). The Five Doctors (Colour). Paradise Towers (Colour).
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deadly Serious Visual Epic Is Much Grander Than "Inner Space" (1987)
1 February 2019
Scientists are shrunk and injected into the artery of a human being.

A wonderful science fiction film that never gets old to me. The special effects are outstanding, the cast is interesting, the full-scale model of the submarine is impressive and the Leonard Rosenman musical score adds a lot to the wonder and danger of the plot.

A very visual epic that demands to be seen on widescreen DVD. For decades (1970s to 1990s) I got a bunched up TV print, so for a long time I never saw the flick as it was meant to be seen. So if you have not seen the DVD copy, you must!

Another thing I like about Fantastic Voyage is that it takes itself deadly seriously. It never winks at the viewer. Sadly, this can't be said for the other "trip inside human film" - Inner Space (1987). Granted, the 1987 movie was made in a different time and after a different market, but the light tone of Inner Space turned me off. Whatever.

Most of the Fantastic Voyage production crew also worked another Fox production of the day - the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea TV series - so this film might get you heading for the submarine Seaview!

Fox's second Planet Of The Apes movie - Beneath The Planet Of The Apes - re-employed Leonard Rosenman because he did such a great job on Fantastic Voyage.

Enjoy this outstanding film!
Irwin Allen Talks A Lot Here
1 February 2019
The making of Beyond The Poseidon Adventure (1979).

Irwin Allen is a name always seen in the credits of 1960s science fiction TV shows (Lost In Space, etc) and 1970s disaster movies (The Towering Inferno, etc) but it is not too often that you see the guy talk, talk and talk - well here is your chance!

The good news - he comes over as a highly normal film producer/ director! Maybe he has changed a bit over the years?? Cast members of Land Of The Giants and The Time Tunnel have officially reported that one of Irwin Allen's main concerns with actors was their hair styles - male or female hair styles! (see the DVDs of "Giants" and Tunnel" if you think I am talking BS).

This review is sounding like an Irwin bashing but it is not! As my IMDb review history reveals...I love the guy and his work (including Beyond The Poseidon Adventure)!

The most interesting thing to come out of the making of BTPA is Allen's final comment that the film was his "toughest shoot in 25 years"??? Really? Harder than the action scenes in The Towering Inferno (1974)? Harder than dealing with all those bees in The Swarm (1978)? Harder than making the most expensive TV pilot of the 1960s (the Land Of The Giants pilot)??

Maybe Allen was not thinking straight when he made this comment?

In this making of BTPA Michael Caine and Sally Field seem like they are having such a great time....but in later years they revealed they were not too happy with this film at all. But who cares? I love them in it. I love Irwin Allen. And I love Beyond The Poseidon Adventure (including this Behind the Scenes).

Great stuff.
All The Best Episodes Were Bunched Up At The End
31 January 2019
Comical reporter Carl Kolchak hunts down creatures in Chicago.

People call this a horror/mystery/thriller series but I always defined it as a "monster-of-the-week-show", and I have always had a soft spot for retro monster shows (Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Outer Limits, etc) so it only seems right that I review Kolchak: The Night Stalker.

I like the series. I liked the first Night Stalker TV movie of 1972 , about the vampire, a lot more, but the series really shined...mainly in the last few episodes:

Episode 17: Legacy Of Terror. During the daytime CHIP's Erik Estrada seems like just another businessman but during the evenings he gets up to all sorts of tricks. Enough said.

Episode 18: The Knightly Murders. This episode is a fine example of comedy and a monster coming together to form something really special. John Dehner plays an old cop who has very amusing conversations with Carl Kolchak.

Episode 20: The Sentry. Probably the most memorable episode of the series as a reptilian creature is killing construction workers in an empty tunnel. Also, great music cues here.

And finally, I would like to make one more comment about the series as a whole, it has a less talked about cast member - Chicago itself! All 20 episodes would often cut way to stock footage of Chicago (taken from the air) and this would be done with great music cues playing. Granted, I am fully aware the city has changed since the 1970s, but to this day, whenever I hear the city of Chicago mentioned in the news anywhere or anytime...I have flashbacks of this Night Stalker footage.

Kolchak: The Night Stalker combines monsters with comedy very well and it is well worth watching today.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved In Childhood But Now...
30 January 2019
Animated Star Trek with the original cast doing the voice work.

I had two reactions to this series, so here we go:

My 1970s childhood reaction: I would get up at 6am or 7am on a Sunday morning to see this. I loved it. During this period, there was much less Star Trek around (today it is all over the place) so I really welcomed the chance to see Trek with the original cast doing the voice work. In this period I watched a lot of cartoons and I clearly remember this one being more "complicated" in plots than stuff such as Superfriends.

My current middle aged adult reaction: Today I often walk down memory lane and watch childhood favourites of the 1970s...but for reasons that are not too clear...this Star Trek cartoon is a struggle to watch today! There is something a bit off about how William Shatner (Captain Kirk) speaks his lines...not sure how to describe the problem...it seems like he is not putting his heart into the work here. I don't like the new regular characters added (the weirdo aliens on the bridge). The animation sucks.

As an adult, the best thing I can say about Star Trek The Animated Series is that the ever-present music cues (which were re-used in 1974's Shazam!) are about 90% of the show's entertainment value. There is so much of Star Trek around today, so the cartoon is not as special as it once was.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Battlestar Galactica (1978–1979)
It Has Improved With Age
29 January 2019
Massive budget space series of the 1970s.

Forever known as the TV show that ripped off Star Wars! The two productions do resemble each other a lot but I don't care about this now (can't remember if it bothered me as a kid?). BG has actually improved with age as they just don't make space shows like this anymore! Today it sort of comes over as a refreshing oddity compared to Netflix's Lost In Space reboot and Netflix's Star Trek Discovery.

BG is a great looking series! It looks just so good - from the full-scale spacecraft model work, the laser battles, to the Cylons, to the cast, the cast costumes - they really knew what they were doing in the looks department.

A few nice things to listen to as well with Lorne Green's amazing voice and the cool music scores/theme.

But having said all this - BG does not make it in my top ten TV show list. Despite some wonderful elements from the series as a whole, it is often missing that spark/energy you would expect from this sort of series.

And despite it's brief run of just one season, it managed to dish up the odd stinker in that time! You would expect any TV episode with Hollywood legend Fred Astaire to have some sort of spark - but his BG episode bore the crap out of me! And frankly, when I was meant to laugh at the regular characters, I was not laughing. The humour in the sister show of the day - Buck Rogers In The 25th Century (1979) - worked better for me.

But let me forget about the negative points for now. You could do a lot worse than watch this show today. In terms of clever/memorable plot lines, I guess the winning hour goes to the very final episode when Apollo (Richard Hatch) and Starbuck (Dick Benedict) got some very oddball radio messages from some not often used hardware on the Galactica craft. In terms of grand epic adventure, the first two hours (the got a cinema release) is the show at it's best.

Enjoy!
UFO (1970–1973)
Puppet-less Gerry Anderson Series Is Still Cool Today
28 January 2019
Earth is invaded by aliens in 1980.

Gerry Anderson produced a few science fiction TV shows in the 1960s/1970s but only four of them really captured my imagination - Stingray, Thunderbirds, UFO and Space 1999. I don't have a favourite of the four.

They all have their strong points and not so strong points. They were all set in the future, they all used miniature effects of space crafts, air crafts or submarines. And, with the exception of Space 1999 season two, they all had wonderful Barry Gray music cues that were actually about 40% of the entertainment value for each series.

In my 1970s childhood, UFO was viewed by me as one of the great wonders of the world, back then it seemed like such a polished production. Re-runs in the 1980s and 1990s seemed to be missing a lot of the punch I got in the 1970s. Finally, in about 2007, I got the re-mastered DVD of the series, which to my surprise, contained "more adult" episodes that were never previously replayed in my country (Australia). So here I was, in my early 40s, having to re-think my lifetime views of UFO as the DVD put it in a different (and better) light.

All 26 episodes of UFO are watchable today but I personally feel the series improved in the later half of the year when production was switched to Pinewood Studios, the odd cast member was dropped, and the episodes started moving faster, quicker than the early slower hours.

I don't watch a lot of British TV/cinema, but you could say that Gerry Anderson and James Bond are the two names I think of first when I think of UK TV/movies.
Slow Visual Movie Is Okay
24 January 2019
An astronaut is stuck on Mars with no food or water.

I was reluctant to review this film as I have never been that big on these sort of flicks where a single actor is stuck on an empty area (planet/island/town) for a good part of the time. To my way of thinking, these movies only work when the lead has such amazing screen presence - like Charlton Heston in 1971's The Omega Man - that you simple can't take your eyes off the screen. Lead Paul Mantee is no Chuck Heston. On top of this, my viewing of Robinson Crusoe was on a crunched up YouTube screen and a very visual widescreen flick like this is just crying out to be seen on DVD.

But anyway, whatever, since I am so big on 1960s science fiction I thought I would put my two cents in.

If watched in the correct way (on DVD) I am sure this film would make an okay movie-experience. But the first 40 minutes, of a guy alone doing very little, will test the patience of many watching - however the moody Van Cleave score (Twilight Zone composer) helps things as does the Winton C. Hoch photography (he worked on the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea TV series).

IMDb's page for this film has great stills of this movie, so I am sure those photos alone will get you wanting to see Robinson Crusoe. A bit of a War Of The Worlds (1953) connection to this movie...enough said.

In a nutshell, if you are like me and watching this on a crunched up computer screen, you might struggle with this slow movie, however I am guessing a correct DVD screening would be rather pleasing.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stargate: Atlantis: Search and Rescue (2008)
Season 5, Episode 1
This Will Get You Hooked On Season Five
23 January 2019
After last seasons explosion, people are trapped everywhere.

The opener to the final season! At this point this series had clocked about 80 episodes and many science fiction shows start to show signs of problems (out of ideas) when they reach this point. The original 1966 Star Trek ended after 79 episodes. The final season of Star Trek Deep Space Nine (1993-99) had a singing James Darren (Help!) in the final year.

But I am pleased to report that Stargate Atlantis seems to be holding up to the pressure of being around for a while and you will be happy with this opener.

The episode title - Search and Rescue - really does say it all about what goes on here. We also a have a pregnant woman giving birth which once again reveals how hopless McKay can be at times.

Some of the set work is impressive.

But it is the final scene that makes the whole hour so memorable. It seems Atlantis is going to have a crusty old male commander this season - Richard Woolsey played by Robert Picaldo - which should rock-the-boat a bit.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Under the Dome: Going Home (2014)
Season 2, Episode 7
Landmark Episode
15 January 2019
Last week it was finding a mystery tunnel, now we find out what happens when you go down the tunnel and jump off a cliff...you go home (outside the tunnel).

I have mixed feelings about this episode. On one level I found it so imaginative and entertaining. On another level it seemed to be ripping off 2004's Lost series big time - Lost also had a plot line where finally, finally someone leaves the creepy place (the island) then wants to come back.

The danger with this sort of plot is that it makes the dome/island seem less like a weird menacing cage and more like a place people can come and go from without too many problems. Maybe the cave will close up in coming weeks?

Also, Big Jim's motivations are a bit stranger here. When someone like Big Jim gets wind of the fact that a mystery tunnel is in the dome (right next to him in fact) I would figure he would ignore instructions and just take a look at the thing. Instead he follows orders and goes away??

I am still totally on board with Under The Dome, love the characters, love the science fiction and love Lost-ish mystery. Can't wait for the next episode.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stargate: Atlantis: Trio (2008)
Season 4, Episode 16
McKay Trapped Down Below With Two Women
11 January 2019
Off-world, Keller, Carter and McKay are trapped in a mine....with earthquakes happening all the time.

Refreshingly oddball episode that has more in common with The Poseidon Adventure (1972) than with anything science fiction related. I am told some viewers found this hour a bit empty, which is a valid point, but considering what came before with endless space battles and all the rest....I think Trio has a place here.

One of the big things that separates Star Trek from Stargate is that Stargate often references current and not so current Hollywood movie/TV stars....we get a lot of that in this hour. Small talk is common. But it is well played here so why not.

This is not the first time this series has done a show with two or three regular characters trapped somewhere, but I don't recall an hour with such a nice 1970s-disaster movie-feel...in fact I was just waiting for McKay to make an Irwin Allen ("The Master Of Disaster") joke, but it never happened.

If watching on DVD, watch the special feature on the making of this episode. What started out as a low budget episode turned out to be one of the most costly and complicated (to make) of the season!
Throwback (II) (2014)
A Nice Change From The Current Hollywood Block Busters
10 January 2019
Very low budget Australian film about Bigfoot.

I bumped into this on Australian late-night TV (7mate) and when I first looked at it I honestly questioned if it was made on a mobile phone....yes seriously! But I then decided to give it a go as, if a free-to-air network was willing to screen it, there must be atleast something worthwhile in Throwback. I was right.

There is suspense in the jungle to be found here! One of the treasure hunters (the young guy) makes an interesting enough character. Granted, I was turned off by one scene where the hunter feels the need to belt his own hand with a rock (several times)...but all in all, turn off your critical-eye and just go long with this retro-style monster flick.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Outer Limits: Lion's Den (2001)
Season 7, Episode 18
"Drugs Are Bad" Is Today's Lesson....
9 January 2019
Troubled father drugs his own son so he will perform better in sports.

The above plotline is enough to bother most viewers but, on top of that, if you were a loyal fan of the original 1960s series, and just happen to bump into this episode (like I did)...this hour will probably bother you even more and make you just a little mad! What were they thinking?? And when the end credits appear we see that some of the makers of the old show were creative advisers on this! Help! Granted, the original series had the odd goofy episode with just as goofy characters (Cry Of Silence, about killer weeds)....but this!

Okay, this is sounding like a bashing of this episode, and I guess it is, but I have to admit I enjoyed it. However, it reads like a more violent-than-usual episode of Power Rangers rather than The Outer Limits.

The key to watching this is simple, just don't think of it as an episode of The Outer Limits, think of it as some goofy time-filler...then you will enjoy it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Outer Limits (1995–2002)
You Could Do A Lot Worse Than Watch This Today.
6 January 2019
Remake of one of TV's most famous science fiction shows - The Outer Limits.

In the 1990s it became almost trendy to remake old 1960s science fiction TV shows - Voyage to the bottom of the Sea became seaQuest DSV, The Time Tunnel became Sliders, new Star Treks were all over the place...and we had a new Outer Limits (this one). If I remember correctly, this new OL sort of got a bit lost in the bunch of sci-fi remakes. I remember enjoying it at the time but it was viewed as "another sci-fi show to watch each week" rather than being a big unique production.

Now, today, whenever I hear the name - The Outer Limits - I think of the original 1960s series with the creepy B&W and the moody Dominic Frontiere music playing over it - all of which is missing in this colour 1990s remake. Also, the original OL is just remembered as being the birth of so many sci-fi themes (episode "Nightmare" for example) that are common place today. So how do you follow something like that?

This is beginning to sound like a new OL bashing, but it is not. Granted, this new one will never hold the same regard (by me) as the old one but today I am willing to revisit the remake - I just watched and enjoyed time travelling episode - Vanishing Act (1997) - last night.

So give the new OL a go today, you could do a lot worse.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stargate: Atlantis: Travelers (2007)
Season 4, Episode 5
Pleasing Adventure But Missing The Expected Punch Line
6 January 2019
Sheppard is on a mystery spacecraft with a sexy woman.

Wow! I am the first to review this, I was expecting a few reviews.

While this episode is not perfect it is a nice change to leave those Canadian jungle filming locations and have an hour in a more confined setting (large spaceship).

The chemistry between Colonel John Sheppard and the sexy woman is what makes this tale rather pleasing. And there are moments of pure suspense when The Wraith get involved in things.

The final minute of the hour was just crying out for Rodney McKay to make another one of his Star Trek: The Original Series references when Sheppard explains he was too busy to have any funny business with the woman. I was expecting McKay to say - "Captain Kirk would have had time" - but never got it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Under the Dome: Heads Will Roll (2014)
Season 2, Episode 1
Magnetic
3 January 2019
The dome becomes magnetic.

Being a season opener, the makers of the show went all out with Heads Will Roll. Amazing special effects as people and objects are thrown around all over the place.

Perhaps - Lost 2 - would be a better title for the series as people from the past appear and disappear all over the place. My favourite character in the series, Big Jim, comes out with his best line in the series when he references The Twilight Zone.

The special features of the DVD reveal that Stephen King was on set during the making of the opener...talking to actors and crew.

Now to the bad news, I don't like it when this sort of series suddenly introduces a new character who was not around last year. Where was he before? Was he hiding under a bed? Is he a ghost? But at the time of this review I can say that I have watched all three seasons of Under The Dome...stay with it....season two has some tedious episodes....but stay with it.