Reviews

Overcomer (2019)
Better than i thought.
24 August 2019
So here we go again, and let me remind people of how i review movies. I rate them according to what they are trying to achieve. If you are looking for a summer blockbuster, this isn't it. This is a Christian made movie, for Christians. Meaning, it IS a little on the 'preachy' side, but, that's what is was intended for and it did hit that mark. It might have done it (the preachy thing) a little too much and too soon for me It was a little heavy. It was funnier than i thought it would be at the same time. That being said, it was a very well made movie and a very heart felt one at that. It will make you tear up at the least if you have any kind of soul at all. The high moments were good and hit home, and the preachy parts were a little too rushed for me. I think there should have been a little more depth to the characters in the beginning before they went off on the 'God loves you and me' part and then went right onto the whole 'God stuff' moments. Of course don't get me wrong, I am a strong Christian myself and have nothing against this kind of stuff in movies at all, i just wish it was more properly placed and timed right so it can hit harder when and where it is needed. But thats just me as an aspiring film maker myself. This movie was well made and it definitely hits home in a lot of areas. I would surely not miss it. These movies are getting better, but remember, a lot of them are preaching to the choir, which this one does, but it does it well.
21 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Almost fell asleep
31 March 2018
I felt like this movie was part 3 of a 4 part mini series and we missed the first 2 episodes. The movie was made very well in terms of production, but i felt i needed more through the whole thing and wished it would have went deeper into the beginning of Paul's transformation. That would have been interesting so see. If the audience knew nothing about the bible already, this movie would have been extremely confusing. The movie was more about Luke and the 'warden' of the prison than anything else. I really needed more of Paul's development and more of the effects of it after to feel this movie was complete. To see Paul just quoting scriptures that weren't even written yet and then to have Luke remember them all without any mention at all in the movie about those words being inspired by the Holy Spirit, really took away the root and the meaning of the scriptures for me. To me, sorry to say, there was no depth to this movie. I felt so bored for the first hour or so and was nodding off which i never do. I've said this before and i will say it again, if we are going to make Christian movies for the lost, the we need to give them something they won't soon forget after leaving the theater, not just the Christians loving it because it was made for them and they understand what the whole story is all about and they can fill in the missing elements that weren't shown in the movie. i will continue to support Christian movies, but this one left me feeling like i was at a buffet and there were only scraps left in the pan and it was almost closing time and thats all i will get. The best parts were already gone and there's no more coming...
6 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Let There Be Light (I) (2017)
Where was the light in this?
7 November 2017
Ohhh man.... I want to support Christian movies...but c'mon now. This one was pretty bad. I like Kevin Sorbo so i thought it might be good. Even he couldn't make this one work. I HATE to bash Christian movies but i have to (again) tell the truth about of some of these movies. This movie was so rushed and unbelievable it was hard to get interested. OK, i need to say something here. If your making a Christian movie, and you want to entertain christians, fine, make anything about God and all of us will try to be entertained and be happy. But lets really get down to brass here people. If you want to make a Christian movie and try to make non christians wonder and think when they leave the theater, you need to have some common sense! I don't want to go on and on but here are the main points: If you want someone to believe in God and have hope in Him, please for the LOVE OF GOD, don't have the main character have lost someone like a child and then tell people you have faith in a God now and then make the movie were now your wife has terminal cancer and prays and loves God but still ends up dying a slow death also! I always watch Christian movies from the point of view of a non believer to see if it entices me to think about what is being shown after or during the movie. This one made me so angry i couldn't sit still. The acting was totally horrible! The wife and kids were so unbelievable it was hard to watch. No emotions, no feeling for the characters at any time. So the protagonist in this movie gets saved because he saw his son in a tunnel of rotating pictures for a few minutes and he says "let there be light daddy!" Thats all...? Then he comes back to earth a changed man. He goes to his wifes' pastor and gets saved immediately and right after becomes baptized. He is then totally sold out to God in about a week. Then the wife is diagnosed...well just watch it if you want. There wasn't any character development what so ever. I felt nothing for ANY of the actors, there was no time put in to feel for them. And most of all, what and where was the light...?! If a non believer sees this movie, this is how it would be portrayed: Believe in my God- Why?- Because He is the Light of the world. What for?- Well, he really wont do much for you, but believe in Him anyway.

This movie really gives people no hope. if your going to make a movie about God, please please please give the people something they will remember at least. Lets be real for a moment, Christianity is kind of like being in sales, im trying to get you to buy my 'product', i need to show you the features and benefits of my product and why you need to have it, even though you might not want it. But still, you need it. Right? Isn't this how sales and marketing work? Everyone sells the sizzle more than the steak itself. Why in the world do we try and 'sell' Christianity with nothing beneficial for the buyer? Now of course, when i say 'sell' i mean we are trying to save peoples' soul from a very bad ending. Why cant we do this correctly? A great movie could be made without any preaching at all and have people crying when they walk out. Its all in the way and wisdom it is done. Not terrible writing and acting and blaming everything on Isis and telling people to believe in God without any sizzle. You get children to come to you with candy, not medicine.
34 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Risen (2016)
Was worried at first glance...
13 March 2016
I was worried at first glance of the trailer i saw during a preview of another movie. I thought it would be a let down of some off the wall 'Christian' movie. I was pleasantly surprised. The movie was done very well in all aspects. I just wish there was a movie that depicted Jesus a little more 'manly' than He has been shown. I believe He was a little more stern than we think. He was always rebuking His disciples and loving everyone else to bring them in with His love. Not that He was mean, but don't parents always treat their own children differently then the friend who comes over for a visit? I'll leave that thinking up to the reader,,,

It hits the marks it needed to except for a few minor things i wont mention because they probably didn't bother anyone else. My review is late on this one, so not many people will probably read it. Jesus doesn't have a lot of dialogue in this but it doesn't need it like you might think it would. If you haven't seen it, i highly recommend it.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tries too hard
13 March 2016
I think to make a movie about a non fictional character without any information or facts of the actual story, is a mistake. Especially this kind of story. There were things done in the beginning of this movie that were just plain wrong, and clearly wrong according to the biblical writings. He didn't do ANY miracles until the age of 30 the bible clearly states and i'll leave it at that. I wish people would stop trying to make Jesus someone other than He really was. This movie felt like it stole a little from 'Risen' which was a very good movie, surprisingly. Too much free license with this movie left me cringing many times at the things that were shown. The Devil, the ignorance of Jesus, Mary being worry full and Joseph being the strong minded one, quoting from the King James version of the bible which wasn't even made yet... Little stuff like that bugs me. If this wasn't a movie about Jesus, i could see it being a decent movie. But, it was. And it falls flat for me because they tried too hard to make it fit into what we would want it to look like if we could really see Him at such a young age. "Risen" had a great concept because it could have actually happened, but the way this move was written, it could not have happened the way it was portrayed. it is what it is i guess.
30 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Woodlawn (2015)
Worth seeing
15 October 2015
Saw s screening of this a couple of months ago. The movie is pretty good even though i think there should have been a little more development in some of the characters. It would have came together a little better in the end. I would definitely recommend it though. This is a Christian move so of course there will be many haters just for this fact. Yes it is a little preachy but not so embarrassing as a lot of others. If this wasn't based on a true story, i would have given it a lower rating because it seemed to be a little too far fetched ( in a good way ). But i asked one of the persons at the screening who was involved with the picture if this really happened as it was shown and he said yes, it was. This isn't just a football movie. Its a lot more, so don't go in expecting just another Christian football movie. If you do want a good Christian football movie, see 'When the Game Stands Tall' So it is a great story that really happened. There are a few things that weren't explained fully that left me wanting more but nevertheless, i liked it. You wont be disappointed..
38 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
War Room (2015)
A 10/10 for Christians- A 2/10 for non-Christians
18 September 2015
I saw a pre-screening of this a few months ago and put a review up but it got deleted before the movie came out so i will try it again. This is the only movie i have ever gave a 10. Why? Because it does what it is supposed to do. It's not big budget, its doesn't have any special effects and it doesn't have main stream actors. But lets be real here, this movie is for Christians, not the secular world, mostly anyway. This movie had a message and it delivered it. Plain and simple. It did a fantastic job. Putting any doctrine aside, i couldn't find any flaws with this film. And believe me, i am VERY picky about my Christian movies. If you are a Christian, i don't care about your denomination, GO SEE THIS MOVIE. If you hate anything to do with Christians or God, you will get what you expect. NOTHING. Stay home and watch Bill Maher. He will guide you into enlightenment.

6 pages of 9+ stars on IMDb and maybe 1 page of negative reviews and War Room gets a 6.0 rating??? I wonder who controls the IMDb universe...
10 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should have been called 90 Days of Recovery-90 seconds in heaven
18 September 2015
I don't know what it is about some Christian movies. They just don't get it. Just because you have a catchy title and a theme about 'GOD', the producers seem to think it will be a big hit. Im sorry to say, this movie was completely boring to me. The cast and acting were OK i guess. I think the wife in the movie was kind of cold and unemotional considering the events surrounding her. I was OK until i kept waiting and waiting and waiting for something to happen other than this mans' pity party to be over and from his recovery to be over. He says he saw Jesus at one early point in the movie (complaining to himself) and then complains about being alive and alienating his entire friends and family the other 95% of the movie! Really? Who would do this? By the time the movie is almost over he finally talks about his Heaven experience. Its nothing more than we have heard a million times already. A bunch of people he knew before, standing in front of a big light, an open gate, a relative, and an old friend standing there smiling at him. Thats it! And by the way, the people looked the same as they did here on earth! Of course we will look the same in appearance, but to have an old face with wrinkles and still have your dentures? Come on! It breaks my heart to give this review. I really really really HATE giving bad reviews on Christian movies being a Christian myself but i must say the truth in how i feel. Someone has to tell the truth even if it hurts or seems negative. We need to stop giving Christian movies high ratings just because they are Christian movies. Here's my prediction: Hollywood will say, "Wow! There is money to be made with these Christians! Lets make them ourselves!" They will screw them up with their ignorance. My God, have you seen Noah, or Exodus? Don't get me started... If you want a good Christian movie in theaters, GO SEE WAR ROOM.
39 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superfast! (2015)
Had potential, but failed
25 April 2015
This movie really should have been called Superstupid. The parts that were funny were actually pretty funny, but, the other 98% of the movie was terrible. I mean, the actors actually did a good job in portraying who they were supposed to be but that was all that was done right. Most of the time they tried waaaay to hard to be funny and it made me cringe. At other times it made me laugh out loud. This had such great potential but failed miserably. I actually had to fast forward through most of it to get through it. So sad, this could have been a great comedy spoof but no one will do it again, and of course the incident with Paul Walker would just be tasteless at this point. If you liked the Scary Movie series, drink about six 40 ouncer's of Old English 800, and get really high of some weed you found in the street, you might like this movie.
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wild Card (2015)
Not Bad...
5 February 2015
...If you can make it to the last 1/2 hour, then it gets good. I'm a Statham fan, so had to see it. It's a little slow, but it was worth watching. Not too many fight scenes, but when they happen, they're good! Kinda 'The Gambler' meets 'The Equalizer' movie. Milo Ventimiglia best known from Heroes as Peter Petrelli does a great job as the bad guy in this film. Wish he had more roles in mainstream movies. Not a huge blockbuster but worth the watch if you can wait until the story gets going. I cant think of much more to write but i have to have ten lines to submit my review so here they are. ( i think short reviews will get better responses. It was great; it was bad, don't see it, etc..) Why do we need such a long review? I myself don't like to read long reviews, just tell me if the movie was good or not!
30 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining
31 January 2015
Decent movie. Lots of camera shake due to entire movie done with hand-held, but not distracting like some others. Wish ending was little more tied up, but its worth seeing. Nice concept. Better than most of these kinds of movies out there. Butterfly Effect probably my favorite. But only the first one...

Spoilers below: Why didn't he tell his dad not to leave when he finally met him again?

Why did he say at the end,- " I have a feeling we are about to change the world"? When he destroyed the blueprints after last jump and now could no longer be built?
2 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Remaining (I) (2014)
Should have been called 'Left Behind' instead of the Nic Cage one...
21 January 2015
This was a much better showing of what the rapture might look like. People on this site who hate this movie and hate Christian propaganda will always dislike ANY Christian themed event no matter how good or how bad it is. I really liked the fact that this movie showed that even good people got left behind. It's not goodness that allows us to be saved from the coming events, it's being QUALIFIED. Sorry, i don't care how much you kick and scream that you don't believe any of this. People who are high on hallucinating drugs REALLY BELIEVE THEY CAN FLY, until they spread their arms and drop off a motel balcony. And sad to say, this is how the unbelievers are also. They really do believe there isn't any consequences or a real just God. The Christian name tag has become like that of a car salesman. RUN if you see him coming! This movie does a great job in what message it was supposed to do. Its about time to add more action and thrill to a Christian themed event instead of weird garbage they have been portraying lately in the theaters. It is what it is and i enjoyed it. The DVD can be bought at ChristianCinema.com
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
20 January 2015
I give this movie/documentary 10 stars because of what it is and what it is supposed to accomplish. And it does so with no flaws. If anyone seeking evidence of truth in the bible as it actually happened, then this is where to find it. At least in the part of Exodus. I can say many many things about the topic but i will keep my comments few because I'm afraid they will fall on deaf ears. People who are actually seeking truth will find it, others will always find fault or a way out because they don't want REAL truth, they just want to debate or not be held accountable for anything so they will turn the truth into a lie even though its presented as fact. This movie presents the truth and the facts that cant be denied. Sad to say, many will still not believe.
25 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unexpectedly very good
14 June 2014
Lets keep it simple. Plenty of other reviews with LOTS of explanations and questions and all kinds of strange stuff.

Tom Cruise does a great job in this role. His character is well believable. This would be Top Gun meets Groundhog Day meets Aliens.

Very good story

Great funny moments that keep coming even when you think it won't be funny any more, but it is.

Decent character development for the timed allotted.

Enemy creatures done very well, not like in NOAH, omg get me out of here...

Go see it!
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally a decent Christian movie that doesn't push it too much.
19 April 2014
I am glad to say that I enjoyed this movie. 99% of most Christian movies are pretty bad. I am a Christian myself and it hurts me to say that but it's true. Anybody who likes movies and is a Christian, knows what I am talking about. It's usually embarrassing. With that being said, this movie was done very well. It had great sound, it was shot well, and the story didn't give you that 'shove' that most Christian movies give you. You know, the movies that think they MUST push the Jesus message so strongly or else it wont be understood. Of course I believe that Jesus is the only way, period, but to make Christians look sad, weak and wimpy is just too much for me to handle when watching it portrayed as so. If people really saw Jesus as He really is, they wouldn't be able to stand in His presence. Plus, He is VERY masculine, not this pretty boy image He is always being portrayed as.

Anyway, back to the review.

I must say, the movie was a little slow, but, it kept my attention through it all. It worked itself out. If your looking for a major Hollywood blockbuster, of course this isn't it, but you will not be disappointed either.

The main events that happen in the movie are very far apart, but this is how the book was written and thats the way it happened according to the book and according to the testimony of the Burpo family.

The only real thing that bothered in the movie was the lack of belief and faith the main characters had when they found out what Colton experienced when he was in the hospital. I mean, Todd Burpo, the father, was a pastor. When i saw throughout the movie how much he wavered and didn't know what to believe because it was 'irrational', it was kind of upsetting to me. But i guess thats how he really was in the beginning.

Margo Martindale, who played Nancy Rawling, a board member of the church Todd Burpo was pastoring, is probably the character that bugged me the most. She had many issues that many face today in the church, and it obvious shows in her character role.

It was a good movie overall, and believe me, i would tell you otherwise even though i am a Christian. I rate movies for what they are, not what they are expected to be according to the Hollywood standards. Go see it. you won't be disappointed.
34 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Get over it people
30 March 2014
This is a Christian produced movie. What in the world do these people on here giving these bad reviews expect to see? We Christians don't go to the movies expecting rainbows and sunshine when we see Hollywood produced movies and then come out and complain and whine when we found out there was a dirty word or some skin shown. OMG NOOOO!! We know what we are in for because we saw the trailer and made a choice to go and see it. If you don't believe in GOD or Jesus then don't waste your time and see good clean movies like this one. This movie shows the compassion of God ( if there is one of course) and the decency of basically good moral people. We could go back and forth proving that science taught in schools is a complete joke and vise versa on the other side saying how can't we prove there is a God. It takes more faith to believe there is no God than to believe otherwise if you think about it. I could go on and on about this but i wont. If you don't agree or like these kind of movies to begin with knowing what your getting into BEFORE you go and see it just to tear it apart, then shut up and go see a different movie. You just look stupid explaining why movies like this are so bad just because we believe in a Loving Creator. If you knew you were about to die, i bet you would be calling on a name you don't believe exists. So get over it. WE ARE COMING TO SHOW THE REAL TRUTH
29 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Noah (2014)
Seriously...?
30 March 2014
OK. First of all I am a Christian. I watch Hollywood movies all the time because i love movies. I'm actually writing a screenplay myself. I always go into a movie for what its worth and what its supposed to be not wanting every movie to be a monumental blockbuster. I have absolutely no biased opinion about this movie because i am a Christian. I went to see Need For Speed last week and was totally surprised on how good this movie was. But Noah...seriously??!! This movie was a complete waste of my eyeball energy trying to stay awake and figure out what weird scene is going to happen next. I was going into this movie not expecting it to be Biblical accurate anyway from the start. i just wanted to see a good movie. This movie was complete garbage. And not because of the ridiculous and terribly fabricated story of Noah that it portrays. The writing was bad. The CGI effects were sub par. I felt like i was watching a B movie like Flash Gordon back in the 80's with a little better special effects thrown in for good measure. If i were to sit here and type all the things wrong with this movie from start to finish, the sequel to Noah would probably be out before i was done. If you're looking for a decent Christian move, don't waste your time or money.

If you're looking for a great blockbuster Hollywood movie, don't waste your time or money.

If you're looking for a so-so movie to watch in a lazy afternoon just to enjoy, Don't waste your time or money.

If you're on the run from a robbery you just did, and need to get away from the police and hide, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WATCHING THIS!

The only people who like this movie are ones who don't like Christians anyway and think we are all stupid and won't like anything that has real truth in it or anything else that has even a hint of Christianity in it. OK, who cares. The other people who might like this are sci-fi fantasy geeks who will probably have a Harry Potter party while watching this on Hulu when its released.

For any Christians who might be reading this, the story of Noah in this movie is completely absurd! Nothing AT ALL Biblically accurate, except they spelled the names of the characters right. I heard this movie wasn't accurate coming in to it. I didn't care. But boy was i shocked on how terrible this was done. Even if it didn't have the Biblical element in it, and it was just another movie, THIS WAS GARBAGE!
21 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.