Reviews

American Horror Story: Final Girl (2019)
Season 9, Episode 9
A messy ending
15 November 2019
Ok, I'll just start with the positives. The cinematography/set is beautiful. Acting is great as always. I feel so happy for Donna and Brooke's fate.

This episode is kind of a mess, however. I actually like the happy ending, but there are just some obvious plot holes. Like, why is Ramirez stuck in the 80s when he is in Hotel? Hope they explain it. And there's a few more plot holes you'll notice. Dialogues also felt forced. This episode is good, but just not as amazing as the first few episodes.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Okay
13 November 2019
Charlie's Angels (2000 film) is a fun, amazing movie. This 2019 film, however, is just pretty average. For me, it doesn't have the charm the original has.

Kristen Stewart is fantastic here. She was born to play these types of roles. The others are okay-ish, I really think a few of them are miscast. The action scenes are pretty okay, but I wasn't impressed very much. Dialogues are so-so, cheesy jokes here and there.

If you want something to watch for fun to pass the time, this movie is good enough, but for me it's just lacking many things.
64 out of 156 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
American Horror Story: Rest in Pieces (2019)
Season 9, Episode 8
Weak episode
10 November 2019
On my "book", 7 stars is just a little above of "okay" or average. Rest in Pieces is definitely the weakest episode of this season.

Some of the acting here is a little off. The story is getting a bit predictable and dull, and it seems like the script is lazily written here. It doesn't feel AHS to me, you know what I mean? On the positive side, the cinematography is great, I love Leslie Grossman, and love the relationship of Brooke and Donna.

I wish the finale will be fantastic.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Liar Liar (1997)
Extremely hilarious
1 November 2019
There are those comedies that just make you smile and just laugh inside or quietly, but Liar Liar made me laugh out loud literally. Although it has a simple plot, Jim Carrey becomes this genius who just made this movie perfect with his hilarious performance. I also like the character development and the sweet, beautiful ending. This is also one of the few comedies that really not only entertains us, but gives us lessons in life as well.

10/10! Highly recommended.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
American Horror Story: The Lady in White (2019)
Season 9, Episode 7
White Lady
1 November 2019
In Lady in White, the dead counselors are trying to seek revenge. Brooke and Donna also team up and plan to kill Margaret. But the best storyline here is Benjamin's past. John Carroll Lynch gives an outstanding, Emmy-worthy performance. Another Emmy-worthy performance is done Lily Rabe, and I got so excited by her surprise appearance. I wish she will come back on the next two episodes. Her acting as Benjamin's mom is really frightening and perfect. Meanwhile, I'm also loving Brooke and Donna's friendship.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poltergeist (1982)
Unique horror
31 October 2019
I've only seen a few parts of this movie before as a kid and never fully understood it. So I decided to rewatch this again as Halloween nears.

Poltergeist is about a happy family who lives in a house, not knowing that it is haunted.

The movie starts like it's going to be a family comedy, with hilarious scenes and such. Then the youngest kid Carol Anne begins to talk to their television when it is static. The house is actually haunted by poltergeists, a type of spirit that could move things or people physically.

It is not a typical haunted house story with quiet ghosts and possessions. The spirits in Poltergeist are really dangerous and could move things a lot, which sometimes feel over the top or unrealistic. Although I love the twist when they kidnapped the girl, very unique concept I think. The acting here is also fantastic.

Definitely a classic.
Dark Shadows (2012)
Okay
30 October 2019
Dark Shadows is adapted from the same 1970s TV series, which has 1,200+ episodes. The movie focuses on Barnabas Collins, a human-turned-vampire who was buried in the 1760s, only to be freed in the 1970s.

While the series is really dark, the movie takes it a little bit more lightly and has very cheesy moments and some jokes that aren't really funny. It was interesting at first, then on the middle parts it just became dull. On the plus side, this film has an amazing cast and the characters are well-portrayed, and the cinematography and setting design is beautiful.

This is definitely not one of Tim Burton's best works, but still a good one.
Eli (I) (2019)
Good twist, overall okay
29 October 2019
I should've watched The Hereditary on Fox Plus app, but then my membership just expired there so I decided to watch Eli on Netflix instead because it got trending of social media for the twist.

Eli is about a boy who has an autoimmune disease, and he gets treated in a private home or something by a private doctor/specialist. The private treatment center/home is haunted. And things get real creepy.

First of all the acting is good, especially by the main lead. The atmosphere of the setting is really creepy, and there are a lot of jump scares that sometimes felt cheap. The cinematography is okay-ish, the story is well-paced.

The twist is really surprising for a moment, until the climax and ending ruined it. I don't know, it all felt cheesy or whatever. Not a good ending.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
American Horror Story: Episode 100 (2019)
Season 9, Episode 6
The Aftermath
26 October 2019
AHS: 1984 is really a great season! Episode 100, however, is the weakest episode by far. It's still good, but not as good as the previous episodes.

I definitely love the storyline of the ghosts being trapped in the camp just like the ghosts are trapped in Murder House and Hotel Cortez. I love the acting, love Emma Roberts and Leslie Grossman, the actors playing Ramirez and Mr. Jingles are also fantastic, I also love Leslie Jordan's appearance as Courtney. Also, there are also a few surprising plot twists, and the ending I was like "whaaaaaat???"

Anyway I'm excited to see more.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
American Horror Story: Red Dawn (2019)
Season 9, Episode 5
Good morning, Camp Redwood
17 October 2019
So in this episode, the sun is finally coming up. This episode is really the best. The survivors suddenly become all Battle Royale and it's really shocking and crazy. Everything about this episode is crazy good. The actress playing Rita is also fantastic! I'm also very impressed with Billie Lourde and Emma Roberts. The ending of this episode is really the best, can't wait for the next episode.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
American Horror Story: True Killers (2019)
Season 9, Episode 4
Heart-racing episode
10 October 2019
This is one of the most tense episodes I've seen on AHS, and I think this season also has the most twists ever. This time, it has more major twists than the previous episode, and we also get answers to some of the most important questions this season.

To be honest, a few of the twists is very obvious and doesn't surprise most of us, which I think is just a little bit disappointing. I just wish that it isn't just the big reveal of this season. I wish there's more to this season. But still, this episode is amazing because it's very suspenseful and all the actors are doing a fantastic job. This season simply has some of the most evil characters and also we have three people left that we can trust: Chet, Xavier, and Brooke.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Santa Clarita Diet (2017–2019)
Hilarious
4 October 2019
I wasn't a fan of the pilot episode. I felt that it was weird and off. But then I decided to watch the next episodes, and I got hooked because it became better and better. Drew Barrymore is Timothy Olyphant have a great chemistry, and I also love Liv Hewson playing their only kid. Mary Elizabeth Ellis is clearly the funniest as their neighbor Liz.

The third season is the best, which is why I got disappointed when I found out that there will be no more fourth season. Why, Netflix, why? I was really looking forward to the next season then...surprise...it's cancelled. Really?
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
American Horror Story: Slashdance (2019)
Season 9, Episode 3
Great season
4 October 2019
I really think 1984 is going to be one of the best seasons of AHS. The first episode is fantastic, the second one is even much better. This episode is also amazing, but not as great as the previous two.

The first twist, I kinda predicted because of the 2nd episode. I don't want to spoil it for you. The second twist is really shocking. I mean I never saw it coming! It made sense now why Ramirez is kinda obsessed with Brooke. I also don't trust that girl.

You cannot trust anyone this season. Everyone has something evil to hide, except probably for Xavier and Chet...but who knows?
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun
24 September 2019
There are always those movies you never get tired of watching over and over again, and this film is one of them. Originally a book written by Anna Wintour's former secretary (or something, not sure), the story of The Devil Wears Prada became more popular when this turned into movie starring Anne Hathaway and Meryl Streep. I was happier when I found out it's on Netflix, I could rewatch it on those lazy nights when I couldn't decide what to watch.

This movie is funny, entertaining, and everyone did an amazing job. I also love the clothes they wear, this movie really sparked my interest in fashion.
Unbelievable (2019– )
Unbelievably Great
17 September 2019
I mean, "great" is not a word enough to describe this series. The three mains all did a perfect job in portraying their roles. Everyone did amazing actually. It's a powerful, moving series I will never forget.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why make this episode a musical?
7 September 2019
4 stars. If not for the shocking reveal at the end of the episode that made my jaw drop, I would've rated it lower. If this wasn't a musical, it would've been A LOT better. I mean, what were they thinking? There are some seriously laughable and cringey parts when they sing. But that shocking thing at the end...makes me excited to see what happens next!
Ready or Not (I) (2019)
Dark, funny horror flick
30 August 2019
Ready or Not stars Samara Weaving, who I recognized also starred in the amazing Netflix horror comedy The Babysitter.

The story is about a new bride (Samara Weaving) marrying his fiancè, who is a member of a billionaire family. The eccentric family has a tradition that every new member of the family must play a game. Little did the blonde bride know that the game is going to be a deadly one.

The story has an original concept, and also a bit unpredictable. The ending caught me off guard. It was crazy. It also has darkly hilarious moments. Acting is also good and I love Weaving's character.

Ready or not, watch this one.
1 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Noah (2014)
Real bad
18 August 2019
I watched this movie because the trailer looked great, at least for me anyway. It's a retelling of Noah, who made the ark before the Great Flood.

I didn't actually mind if they made a bit of changes from the Biblical account, but they did a lot. And the worst part are the talking stone giants. When I saw them, I knew the movie is going downhill.

This movie has like $150 million budget, I've read, but most of the visual effects looked cheap and poorly done. Cinematography also isn't that good. I was shocked to see that it's a hundred million dollar film.

Emma Watson, I feel, is miscast. Connelly is an okay choice, but someone could've played Noah's wife better. Their two sons, Percy Jackson and the hot British actor, were not great choices for the roles. Only Russell Crowe seems to be the only right actor fit for the role.
Cheesy
18 August 2019
We're the Millers is a cheesy flick about a pot dealer smuggling illegal drugs from Mexico. To do this, he hired a bunch of people and they go to Mexico and they pretend to be the perfect American family, so that it won't be obvious.

It's a cheesy, forgettable movie with great actors starring in it. Nothing worth remarkable.
Slasher classic
18 August 2019
Friday the 13th redefined the slasher genre in the 80s. It's not just about a killer anymore. It's about pretty and youthful teenagers on a summer camp being killed one by one until a final girl survives. The plot becomes overused by other movies after its release, with more films about teens or college-aged people getting murdered one by one.

Definitely a must see movie.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mother! (2017)
Mother Earth
18 August 2019
Mother! surprised me because I watched it and actually loved it. I mean, I saw mixed reviews for this movie and some called it dull or terrible. I'm glad I didn't believe them and watched this anyway.

If you're looking for a typical horror flick, Mother! is not the one. It is an artsy movie filled with metaphors. A difficult movie, I didn't understand what I was watching at first, although I knew by reading reviews that this movie is metaphorical so I kept guessing. I only found out about its biblical allegory on the second part where they sacrificed the poor baby, that is when things made sense to me.

This movie is one of the best there is. Go watch it!
Escape Room (I) (2019)
Thrilling
18 August 2019
Escape Room is one of the most suspenseful films I've seen.

Now, escape rooms are popular means for enjoyment. In this movie, the escape rooms become deadly and the characters must use their wit to survive.

The film did not fail on the suspense/thrill aspect. The characterization is great, and the acting is nicely done for a horror movie like this. Most of the characters are someone you'll care for and root for.

The movie is fantastic until climax. The writers didn't seem to know how to end the story right. I don't know, it felt messy.

Still recommended.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yesterday (III) (2019)
A sweet movie
27 July 2019
Yesterday is a romcom with a little touch of fantasy, about a man who gets into an accident and wakes up in an alternate universe where no one but him remember the Beatles.

It's a feel-good film. It is a little formulaic but otherwise it has an interesting story and it is also funny. Directed by Danny Boyle, I expected something fantastic but it's ok. I still recommend this.
Beautifully Told
19 July 2019
When I first saw it as a kid, I didn't really understand it much except that there was a man with scissorhands who got adopted and kissed a pretty girl. Watching it as an adult, I realized that there are actually deeper meanings in this film.

The story is told very simply, and it opens with an old lady telling a bedtime story to her granddaughter. The story is about a man named Edward with scissorhands. Edward was an unfinished product of an aging inventor. Years later a nosy but kind-hearted neighbor finds out about him and adopts him into their home.

It's a simple tale with a lot of deep meanings. It's a tale that shows us one of the worst sides of human nature. Despite some evil in this world, the story also shows us that there are always people with genuine and good hearts. Edward is also a relatable character, misunderstood and alone. It's a beautiful story, really.

Highly recommended.
The Favourite (2018)
Dark, Funny, Intriguing
14 July 2019
I love historical films, especially about past Queens and Kings and other royalties. I didn't hesitate to watch this when I saw the trailer.

It's not an entirely accurate movie, which is intended, to give the story more flavor.

The fights between Abigail and Lady Sarah is entertaining to watch and I love the portrayal of Queen Anne. It is dark and hilarious. At first I rooted for Abigail, but as the story progresses, their true selves are unmasked. Abigail is a cruel woman who doesn't love the Queen and will do anything to be on top, and I should've rooted for Sarah instead, who was frank but loving. But it's not only about the two women trying to be the queen's favourite. It's more importantly about the queen, how she coped after the death of all her seventeen children (they were either stillborn or died young), and how she dealt with her declining health, how she felt all alone in the world. I can't imagine what she'd been through.

They were all great, but Emma Stone surprised me more because I didn't know she could play a scheming, heartless woman and make it Oscar-worthy.

The ending wasn't good in my opinion. It's odd to end a story like that. However it has a deeper meaning, which is none of them lived happily ever after.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.