Reviews

Gomorrah (2008)
You can smell the ghettos of naples
3 December 2019
There is a tragedy to seeing teenagers with guns, seeing youth throwing away their lives, always makes you want to stop them. In some way. And yet you can relate to their near perpetual drunken stupour of a life even when they're not drunk. It's the callousness of feeling that youre indestructible. And only lasts for a few years. Unfortunately gang warfare catches them all in those years. And doesn't let go till they're dead. Be it at 18 or 65. And the film covers it all. Real. Raw. Dirty. Tragic yet like a tragic poem that enthralls with its beauty till you reach its spiralling end.
Wet Season (2019)
Slow burn love story about loving yourself.
27 November 2019
Insights about Singapore, insights about human nature, about loneliness, togetherness, love, heartache, us being connected via joy and sadness. The film takes its time, but for the patient, it delivers. Just like Ilo Ilo.
Synonyms (2019)
Beautifully light look into what a local gets and what a migrant gets in a seeming deal.
24 November 2019
The lightness of the telling is beautiful. So many small cinematic touches including him practicing his french as he walks the streets. The guilt and fear felt by the people in the train. And anger felt by his friend Yaron. And what finally happens to him. The way stories are sold, without letting it feel like a sale and then given back, with generosity drying up without it feeling like it was ever a trade. That trenchcoat in the color of dijon mustard.

Lovely.
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Knives Out (2019)
Spins the whodunnit on its head. Again and again.
23 November 2019
The film takes the whodunnit and spins it on its head, giving you that answer in the first fifteen minutes. So you think it's now a whydunnit And yet it remains a whodunnit. And a whydunnit. Lovely performances by the entire cast. But it's so cool that in a place like Hollywood, such a stellar cast can come together to play roles while a newcomer takes the lead role. Doesn't happen in India. Nice to see Daniel Craig out of the Bond franchise every now and then. Along with Captain America. Tight edit. Tight sound. Beautifully shot. Tight script. Well made film.
7 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like a colorful poem.
14 November 2019
Between the music, the color, the art, the choice of magnifications, the choice of locations, the choice of clothes, the casting, the hair and make up, the background score, the animation, it all played out like a poem. That was the most lovely part of this film.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cat Sticks (2019)
Such an inspiring indie.
10 November 2019
There a scene in the film where two men, completely high, perform what can only be called a poetic dance as they try to find places on each other to jab their needles into. It's one of the most beautiful, moving scenes I've seen in a long while. The film is full of the feebleness and vulnerability of users, the innocence and childlike state of mind and being of users, the users in this film are grown up men but also lost little boys, who you want to go give a hug to every once in a while. Even murder is accidental because they're not even really aware. Everything is an impulse untempered by a rational reigning in. Performances were stellar. Saurabh, with the way he uses language and his eyes, conveying so much, tanmay as the man in the lungi, so at ease with that lungi that it remains in your mind hours later, the way he deals with it. Ronny and his last ditch effort to save himself and his friend who lands up seeing a man die as a crow leaves his head, the religious ritual both mocked and completed at once. Shreya Dev Dube has done an absoluteky beautiful job with the camera. An artist. Ronnie Sen, looking forward to more! Loved the film.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For Sama (2019)
Life. Not a film.
24 October 2019
There a moment in this film a baby which will probably make you feel more strongly than any other movie in the history of the films you've seen.
35 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bringing out the dead. But REAL.
24 October 2019
For fans of Scorsese's film, this'll be an even bigger treat. You feel strongly for the Ochoa family and their committment to goodness and a cause. They're all such real people. The teenager needs to talk and offload things onto his girlfriend, the uncle is full of fast food. The kid eats ruffles all the time and bunks school. Everything about is so real. And it's also thrilling because the subject is fast moving. Watched at the Mumbai Film Festival.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So easy to have an outsider's view on immigrants. See this to know their journey
23 October 2019
Around the world opinions about immigrants and illegal immigration are thrown around so casually by the common man. Those who have them coming into their countries despise them, mostly. This film gives you an inside view of the entire process. Such a beautiful film for more awareness about what it really takes sometimes, for immigrants to escape and what the leave behind. The kids and the life is beautiful esque relationship between the father daughters was the nicest part of the film for me.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Makes her even more human. But also makes her even more of an enigma
22 October 2019
Sometimes a good biopic attempts to hand you the human being behind the persona. In a really good biopic however, a filmmaker can take take you behind the persona, beyond the human being, deeper, into the enigma. Leaving you feeling that you know Pauline Kael but you now know her even less. Which is like someone feels about a loved one who's now dead. And gone. Lovely film.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loneliness. Companionship and why we experience both.
19 October 2019
Juliette binoche makes even a role like this brighter than it could have been. The mood and tone of the film take you into your own loneliness and make you wonder what all one could or be compelled to do, because one is lonely. There's a line in it 'i dont mind dying. I just don't want to be abandoned.'. Lovely line. Watch it for binoche.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Giving voice to those who can't be heard.
19 October 2019
For Loach, who is peaking yet again at this point in his career, this is another song about those unspoken for. This time it's delivery drivers. Be it an Amazon or a food delivery service. The most beautiful parts however are the the filmmaker also does say along with depicting the toughness of their lives, that the only way to breathe normally amidst this is to stick together as family.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Honeyland (2019)
Talks about everything we're doing wrong as a species
19 October 2019
In a microcosm you get to see what humans are doing wrong. The amount of time the filmmakers have spent with the subject of the film, shows in the level of intimacy that the camera has acquired in their lives. As if it's a pair of eyes. And not a camera. Making this a thoroughly engaging film.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unbelievable (2019)
One of the most beautifully feminist and humanist pieces of fiction
13 October 2019
This could just be the silence of the lambs of this generation in the amount of beautiful feminist strength it has. The cameraderie and friendship and mentorship between the two detectives, the way their spouses or men in their lives support their work life, all these things are gorgeous. I cried so many times. And the ending when that call from the beach is made was deliverence.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nightcrawler (2014)
A take on what kind of minds and hearts modern society is creating.
25 September 2019
The creation of a madman from within society and it's emptiness. Reminds me of There Will Be Blood.

Also a take on news culture and it's perils. Lovely dialogue, lovely performances, Gyllenhaal is crazy good.
Ófærð (2015– )
To just see a Noir show shot in so much snow is gorgeous
4 September 2019
The lead character is engaging and you'll feel for him. Right from his hair to the way he walks to the way he dresses is all so real. And so is his life. The world created is so lovely you'd want to keep going back. Thoroughly enjoying it.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Midsommar (2019)
Beautifully disturbing.
12 August 2019
The way the filmmaker uses cinema to disturb you and create a feeling within you using sound and visuals is beautiful. To my mind the film just felt a bit Long. And that was it's only minus. Other than that it was a thoroughly engaging experience. Such beautiful command over the craft. Lovely sound design. Time and again it made us feels things we don't normally feel. Kudos to whoever made the faces of the bodies that were hammered. Beautiful. Lovely film. Must watch.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Makes you feel how incessant the feeling of suicide is in the Farmers of india
7 August 2019
The film makes us feel how like a never ending downward spiral the lives of Farmers in india are. The advantage is that the film is shot in real locations. Girish Kulkarni and Veena Jamkar are the two best actors in the film. Sonali Kulkarni suffers at the hand of a wig and certain elements of her look that just don't fit in. But she as always doesn't do a bad job at all. One of the good films that depict the condition of the rural Indian farmer.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One or my most memorable films.
13 July 2019
For me, Blue is in my list of TOP ten films. I saw it at film school when I did the film appreciation course at FTII in Pune under Suresh chhabria and from that moment I was in love with cinema about twice as much as I'd been. The way Color, sound and visuals have been used to literally evoke depression and also see sadness as beautiful in a way, in unparalleled in any film since. Romantacising sadness. And successfully.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the ten best films I've ever seen.
12 July 2019
The Way this film captures innocence is the same deep, searing way that a 'Climax' captures depravity. With honesty and a clear focus. That innocence that all of us had before conditioning, social awareness, expectations, family, gender begin to affect us. This film captures that innocence in every one of us. A little boy goes through an absolutely maddening struggle to get his friends notebook, which he picked up by mistake in class, back to him that evening. Because if he doesn't the boy will be punished. With this simple a plot line the filmmaker has given us one of the best films ever made.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Capernaum (2018)
The best film I've seen in years.
12 July 2019
When you see a film like this, even as a fellow filmmaker, it inspires you deeply. You feel small and you know there is so much more one can do with cinema as a medium to come closer to truth. Truth in story telling, in performances, in achieving a certain amount of verisimilitude. One of the best films I've seen in recent times. You won't be able to believe the level of reality portrayed. It's as if it's not a film. And yet it's so cinematic in terms of the choice of frames, sound, shots.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Autohead (2016)
Courageous film.
12 July 2019
The film inspired me with my own shot taking. The way the director chooses to take his shots is really something. The performance of the lead actor Deepak Sampat is Mindblowing. You can't believe that he's an actor. When the film wishes to disturb it does it so well. The locations are also lovely. Real. Effective. And the murder scene is directed beautifully. One of my favourite indies from our country.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A film that is beautifully feminine but also so embracing of life itself as a metaphor.
13 June 2019
What seems like a beautifully feminine film in the way that it gets into the head of the protagonist, ends up soon becoming a metaphor for life itself. For anyone who experiences very high highs and Low lows. For anyone termed crazy. It may be your film school that you never really want to leave, or being a writer to move onto a director because all you were taught was to write, it may be any club that you ideally shouldn't or don't really need to be a part of, this film shows you a way. A way of reentry into life. Gorgeous. One of my ten best films. Ever.
Capernaum (2018)
One can't help but just keep being amazed at the quality of fiction unfolding
21 May 2019
How is this even being made is something that comes to mind time and again. To achieve such a level of reality in fiction with people playing roles and not their life is masterful.

Leaves you feeling grateful for your life and watchful about the way you treat not just your own good fortune but also the misfortune of some. Makes you introspect about the human race's mad zest for procreation. Such an important film. The true power of fiction. A golden 'what if' has been dealt with with such sensitivity and artistry.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crd (2016)
One of the best indies in a Long while!
1 May 2019
A film with an independent spirit and a beautiful script, then clearly improvised, with the strengths and own lives of actors informing the actual filming. Leads to a work of much control and understanding of the medium. An acting class that goes very deep. Deep enough to have changed the actors for life and leave no stone in their unconscious unturned. Lovely script but dharmakirti and beautiful performances bun mrunmayee godbole and the male lead. But the scene stealer for me has always been Vinay Sharma.