Reviews

Friends: The One with the Boobies (1995)
Season 1, Episode 13
Friends: The One with the Boobies (#1.13)
10 May 2011
PLOT: Chandler inadvertently sees Rachel's breasts as she comes out of the shower, which in turns starts a whole chain of peeking. Phoebe dates a shrink who has an annoying habit of analyzing everyone. Joey finds out his dad has a mistress.

My favorite episode of the first season is the one with the boobies. We have Phoebe's new boyfriend analyzing (and pissing off) the group. We learn more about everyone's past (because he tells us) and we get to meet Joey's dad. But because he is cheating on Joey's mom.

The episode is very funny and one of my favorites. Never forget it.

5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Friends: The One with the Monkey (1994)
Season 1, Episode 10
Friends: The One with the Monkey (#1.10)
2 May 2011
PLOT: It is almost New Years and lonely Ross adopts capucin monkey Marcel. All the friends adore Marcel - except Monica. The friends agree not to bring dates to the New Year's Eve party, however everyone but Ross breaks the promise. However, things go wrong again; amongst all of the madness, Joey kisses Chandler at midnight. Written by Angie Ross is tired of living alone but doesn't want a roommate at his age so he adopts the capucin monkey Marcel. Marcel is cute in everybody's eyes, except cleaning freak Monica who returns little of the monkey's love. With Paolo about to return to Rome, it looks like New Year's Eve will see the friends desperate for someone to kiss at midnight, so Chandler launches a pact for them all not to kiss anyone. However, Rachel learns Paolo can be back early, Monica asks her ex Fun Bobby and Chandler invites his hellish ex Janice. Joey met a single mother shopping, so Ross fears to be the only single left after Phoebe hooks up with scientist David.

The iconic monkey episode may not be my favorite episode, but it's still a great episode.

0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Friends: The One with Mrs. Bing (1995)
Season 1, Episode 11
Friends: The One with Mrs. Bing (#1.11)
2 May 2011
PLOT: Chandler's popular, best-selling author mom, Nora Tyler Bing, announces on Jay Leno's show that her book tour's next stop is New York, and she gets the chance to see her son. Turning up in the Big Apple, she takes all the friends to a restaurant and encourages fan Rachel to try writing similarly cheap-steamy 'romantic formula' novels. She observes Ross' frustration about Rachel, assures him Paolo is not a hero that stays in the story to the end, unlike him, and somehow they kiss. Joey observes this who feels obliged to defend his mom Gloria's sex-appeal as equal, if you imagine her before producing seven children. Joey shames Ross into confessing the kiss to Chandler, who is irate and reads the riot act. Meanwhile Phoebe encouraged Monica to whistle to a hunk they saw walking on the street, which causes him to be hit by an ambulance and fall into a coma. They fantasize about him being the perfect boyfriend and compete to be the one to take care of him, hoping he'll wake up like a fairy tale prince.

Well, we've heard so much about them, and we finally met her, the iconic Mrs. Bing. The episode is of course funny, and a great episode.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Friends: The One with the Dozen Lasagnas (1995)
Season 1, Episode 12
Friends: The One with the Dozen Lasagnas (#1.12)
2 May 2011
PLOT: Paolo and Rachel prepare for a weekend getaway, but before they go Pheobe gives him a massage. He hits on her and the friends debate whether or not to tell Rachel. Chandler and Joey purchase a foozball table. Carol is having a boy.

The episode of The Dozen Lasagnas is the one where Ross is his happiest. Why? Because Rachel and Paolo break up! And when Chandler and Joey realize they need a new table, they instead, they get a foozball table.

And Carol is having a boy! Oh, and Monica makes too many lasagnas and doesn't know what to do with them.

0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Friends: The One Where Underdog Gets Away (1994)
Season 1, Episode 9
Friends: The One Where Underdog Gets Away (#1.9)
1 May 2011
PLOT: With their parents away Monica and Ross decide to have Thanksgiving dinner alone together at Monica's. However, one by one the other friends join them. Rachel says that she can't afford to buy a ticket for Vail to be with her family. Joey confesses that his family thinks that he has V.D. because he appeared in an ad campaign. Chandler recalls his story of how he doesn't eat thanks giving food because of bad family memories. Phoebe brings her Grandmother, confesses that she observes Thanksgiving in December because her Grandma's boyfriend is Lunar. As the Macy's parade passes by, the Underdog balloon gets loose. The friends rush onto the terrace for a better view and get locked out, so the dinner burns. Chandler is happy because everyone eats grilled cheese sandwiches.

Most sitcoms generally have holiday episodes, because how else could we relate to the show if they weren't going through the same things we are going through? The episode is of course really funny, and I personally think the Friends Thanksgiving episodes are better than any other TV shows Thanksgiving episodes.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Friends: The One Where Nana Dies Twice (1994)
Season 1, Episode 8
Friends: The One Where Nana Dies Twice (#1.8)
1 May 2011
PLOT: Chandler is shocked to learn that people he works with think that he is gay. He asks his friends why, and they tell him that they also thought that he was gay when they first met him. Monica's Grandmother dies, and Ross falls down the open grave, and gets high on pain killers.

The eighth episode of Friends has a different kind of humor in it. Similar sense of humor to Death at a Funeral. The episode finds death funny. I was also caught off guard when Nana died "again" (the first time I watched it).

This episode is hilarious and really different from the other episodes.

0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Friends: The One with the Blackout (1994)
Season 1, Episode 7
Friends: The One with the Blackout (#1.7)
30 April 2011
PLOT: When a power-cut blacks out most of New York City, Chandler, to his delight finds himself trapped inside an ATM vestibule with Victoria's Secret model Jill Goodacre. She lets him use her cell-phone, and offers him gum which he instantly regrets refusing. He accidentally spits out her gum which he finally accepted, then picks up some to put back in his mouth and begins to choke when he realizes it wasn't the original gum. The others kill time in Monica's apartment, lit by the light from a Menorah, telling stories of the weirdest places they ever had sex. Joey tells Ross he waited too long moving onto Rachel and is now too far into the 'friend's zone.' Ross still tries to make a move on Rachel while stargazing on the balcony. Joey keeps the other girls inside by pretending Ross prepares a birthday surprise party for Monica. A wandering cat scratches Ross. Rachel and Phoebe go knocking on their neighbor's doors to find the cat's owner, seeing through odd neighbor Mr. Heckles's who lies about being the owner. On their mission, they bump into the hunky, and actual cat-owner, Paolo, who only speaks Italian. Rachel brings him back to the apartment where he outstrips Ross's flirting, even not being able to speak English.

The Blackout is by far one of the best, if not THE best episode of season 1. And it's one of my over all favorites. It's just hilarious. All the different plot lines are funny, the dialogue is funny, it's an awesome episode.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
30 April 2011
No matter what director it is, they all have that student film that taught them how to make a movie, for Tarantino, it's My Best Friend's Birthday, for Darren Aronofsky, it was Pi, and for Christopher Nolan, it's Following.

Now, just to clarify, I am not really a huge fan of Pi and My Best Friend's Birthday.

Following, is about a young writer who follows people for material, until he is approached by one of his "victims" and he brings him into the world of breaking and entering.

There isn't much to say about Following, it's a good movie, but it's too short, and it doesn't really know where it's going until there's about 15 minutes left. The last 15 minutes were great, but up until then, they were just breaking into houses and stuff.

The movie is like Memento. In that way, it's a little mixed up in the way that it doesn't play chronologically. But it's very enjoyable and we can certainly see where Nolan came from with this film.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Friends: The One with the Butt (1994)
Season 1, Episode 6
Friends: The One with the Butt (#1.6)
29 April 2011
PLOT: The friends attend Joey's new musical, Freud. At the theater, Chandler meets a beautiful women named Aurora. Joey gets hired to be Al Pacino's butt double. Chandler learns that Aurora is married, AND has another boyfriend.

Well, Joey has finally done it! He has gotten a movie role! And Al Pacino is starring in it! But, Joey is play his butt double.

Meanwhile, Chandler meets a beautiful woman. She is perfect. But, she has a husband! Not only that, but she has a boyfriend, too.

This is definitely the funniest episode of the first 6 episodes. It is funny and brutal.
Why Did I Get Married?
28 April 2011
It's an understatement to say that the 4.4 rating is appalling. The movie may be by Tyler Perry, but he did do a good job putting this movie together.

The movie is based on Perry's play of the same title. And the play is highly recommended, and I'm surprised the movie isn't as recommended. The movie is great and needs more recognition.

The movie surrounds four couples, all have their baggage, secret, and problems. They all fight. The movie is about couples who fight in different ways. They all fight, and they fight for different reasons and have different problems, but the movie is about how they deal with those problems.

I highly recommend this Tyler Perry movie.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Friends: The One with the East German Laundry Detergent (#1.5)
28 April 2011
Plot: Eager to spend time with Rachel, Ross pretends his building's washroom is rat-infested so he can join her at the laundromat. Chandler points out this could be a 'date' and the first time she'll see his underwear so it shouldn't be dirty! Rachel, the spoiled 'laundry virgin' feels managing this domestic chore is a real step to independence, but despite Ross's good advice she leaves a red sock in the machine. The real accomplishment comes where she has to stand up as no-nonsense-New Yorker against a rude, aggressive woman who invents rules to pretend it's not Rachel turn to do her laundry. Joey realizes he regrets dumping foxy Angela when he learns she is dating Bob. He proposes a double-date, then needs a girl stat. Monica agrees to be Joey's date but when she sees hunky Bob and realizes he's not Angela's brother she starts to enjoy the evening. Chandler drinks too much espresso while desperately trying to break up with neurotic Janice.

The episode is the closest Ross and Rachel have ever got. And Ross embarrasses himself plenty. We are introduced to Janice, as Chandler tries to break up with her. The episode is, of course, hilarious and one of the best so far.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Friends: The One with George Stephanopoulos (1994)
Season 1, Episode 4
Friends: The One with George Stephanopoulos (#1.4)
28 April 2011
Plot: Joey and Chandler take Ross to a hockey game to keep his mind off of the anniversary of his first time with Carol. Monica, Phoebe and Rachel get George Stephanopoulos' pizza by mistake, and spy on him from Monica's balcony.

In this episode, it is Ross' would-be anniversary with Carol. So the guys (Joey and Chandler) take him to a hockey game. Where he gets hit with a hockey puck, and is taken to the hospital. While they are at the hospital, while they are at the game, the girls (Monica, Phoebe, Rachel) get a politician (George Stephanopoulos)'s pizza. The girls snoop around, with binoculars, to see George in his apartment.

The episode is funny, one of the few times we've seen the group separated for nearly the whole episode. Each actor held their own, they were all very good and delivered their lines very well. And again, the writing is great.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Friends: The One with the Thumb (1994)
Season 1, Episode 3
Friends: The One with the Thumb (#1.3)
28 April 2011
Plot: Monica is reluctant to introduce her new boyfriend, Alan, to her friends because they've mocked all of the boyfriend they've met before. To her surprise, they love Alan. However, she realizes she doesn't feel a spark with Alan and breaks up with him. Her friends take the news very hard, but Alan is relieved (since he couldn't stand her friends). Chandler resumes his smoking habit. Phoebe encounters a problem with her bank account, when a bank error in her favor nets her $1,000. She gives the money (and a complementary football phone) away to a homeless friend, who in turn buys her a soda. When Phoebe opens it, she sees a thumb, so the soda company gives her $7,000.

The third episode is the best since the pilot. It further includes the craziness of Phoebe, it shows the one boyfriend of Monica that the group has liked, and Chandler resumes his smoking habit. of course, the episode is funny and I personally think Chandler's smoking habit is the best of the episode.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Friends: The One with the Sonogram at the End (#1.2)
28 April 2011
Plot: In this episode, Ross finds out that his ex-wife Carol is pregnant with his child. He's stunned to learn she wants to give the baby her and her lesbian lovers last name. Ross and Monica's parents come for dinner which makes Monica really stressed. Rachel decides to return her engagement ring to Barry, the man she left at the alter and learns that he didn't let their honeymoon go to waste. He spent it with her maid of honor Mindy.

The second episode of the great Friends series is one very important episode. It is the episode Ross finds out his lesbian (soon to be ex) wife is pregnant with his baby. We are introduced to Susan, and see Carol again. And we are once again witness to the hilarity and greatness of Friends.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Friends: The One Where Monica Gets a Roommate (#1.1)
27 April 2011
Plot: Rachel runs from her wedding and meets the friends in the coffee place. Ross is depressed about his divorce but he still has a crush on Rachel.

The pilot episode of Friends is an awesome start to the Friends series. It establishes characters well, it's funny, it's well written and directed, and, oh yeah, it's funny.

The thing that really makes it funny is the dialogue, so funny, obscure. It centers around conversations normal people have, and then they transform into these weird conversations. Like when Chandler talks about a dream he had and talks about how he dreamed he was naked, his penis was a phone and it started ringing (he was in the cafeteria) and he picks it up and it's his mom. That one line by Chandler described so much about him.

9/10 for the pilot.
Hoodwinked! (2005)
Hoodwinked!
27 April 2011
This tired, lame movie with bad animation puts no effort in to make it half decent.

It combines stars such as Patrick Warburton (TV's Rules of Engagement, Family Guy), Anne Hathaway (Devil Wears Prada), Glenn Close (Air Force One), Jim Belushi (TV's According to Jim), Andy Dick (TV's NewsRadio), Chazz Palminteri (A Bronx Tale) and many others. Unfortunately, it makes no effort in the writing, that it's complete crap. And of course, it has dated animation from the '80s.

The story's not all that great. The voice acting leaves much to be desired. The lighting is horrible and the textures are gaudy and annoying.
The Five People You Meet in Heaven
26 April 2011
Due to the success of Mitch Albom's books. It was a dream that they would turn into movies.

Being that Tuesdays With Morrie and The Five People You Meet in Heaven are two of my favorite books, I was rather excited that they turned into movies. Unfortunately, I have not seen Tuesdays With Morrie (1999).

Being that The Five People You Meet in Heaven is one of my favorite books, I was a little disappointed, but I still really liked the movie.

The movie is a TV Movie, so it doesn't have the great budget and quality it deserves. But the cinematography is great.

Five People is about how each person we meet, though appearing insignificant, are part of the vast web of interconnection that affects our life. Jon Voight plays Eddie, an 83-year old mechanic who has worked at the Ruby Pier Amusement Park all his life except for a stint in the army during World War II. The first thing we learn about Eddie is that he is dead, killed in a roller coaster accident while trying to save a little girl.

The next thing we find out is that, in heaven, Eddie will meet and talk with five people who were the most influential in his life, people Eddie would probably not think of first, but whose influence becomes slowly and painstakingly revealed. As he re-experiences traumatic events from the past, it soon becomes clear that what they share with him allows him to complete and illuminate the past. Eddie meets "The Blue Man" (Jeff Daniels), part of the sideshow at the park, his Army captain (Michael Imperioli), his wife Marguerite (Dagmara Dominczyk) who died after only a few years of marriage, the wife of the original owner of the Ruby Pier (Ellen Burstyn), and a little Filipino girl named Tala (Nicaela and Shelbie Weigel).

The Five People You Meet in Heaven is well worth the watch.
Mulholland Dr.
25 April 2011
I had a hard time liking this movie. I felt that it took way too long to develop. They could have taken out the entire movie audition scene, the initial coffee shop scene, and the song at the Silencio and it would have still made sense. I found myself drifting away and doing other things as I watched this movie. Lynch is a genius, but he should have kept this a TV series and developed it into another noir than releasing it as a movie. I found myself bored.

Many people have claimed that this film is art. Well, I must respectfully disagree with them on this regard. If all art is is putting pretty pictures together, then anyone can be an artist. True art goes much deeper. This is where Muholland Drive fails. Before I watched the movie, I was told to "think less and let it (the movie) flow". This is quite impossible as whatever flow this movie tries to achieve is destroyed by its inconsistency.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Puff, Puff, Pass
25 April 2011
This movie does not self proclaim itself, it does not think it's better than it is, it's doesn't even think it's good, it's just a silly stoner movie.

Puff, Puff, Pass is the story of two potheads, Rico (Ronnie Warner) and Larry (Danny Masterson of TV's That '70s Show) who are kicked out of their apartment, and will do ANYTHING to watch The Shank (Shawshank Redemption) on TV. And by anything, I mean, they will enter drug rehab (because they have cable) and most important, they will do a job for Big Daddy (Director Mekhi Phifer) an entrepreneur who makes lot of money and has sex with lots of women.

The movie is clever, sometimes funny, filled with dialog with decent acting. It holds your attention and entertains you throughout.
City Lights (1931)
City Lights
22 April 2011
City Lights is one of those movies with a grand, impenetrable reputation built over many decades, like Citizen Kane or Star Wars. Frankly, the vast majority of this movie is good. The opening sequence with the statue and the gibberish talking politicians. I also LOVED the boxing scene. And I loved how it lasted for so long. Classic scene.

People find this movie perfect but in my humble opinion, a "perfect" movie should feel, to the viewer, like a consistent whole with no missteps along the way. For some, I can easily see City Lights being a perfect movie. I wish I felt the same way. I guess I wrote this to say why I don't quite feel the same level of enthusiasm.

City Lights, for me is a far from perfect movie. However, I will see more of Chaplin.
8 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Lincoln Lawyer
22 April 2011
Enter: Matthew McConaughey. In his best performance (behind A Time to Kill). It is obvious he was born to play the lawyer. The next lawyer TV show, they should cast McConaughey. With the watered down crap he's done for the past few years, it's amazing to see him in a good role.

The Lincoln Lawyer is a brilliant movie about the flaws in the justice system, and one man who tries to correct them.

I can imagine how some people would have issues with the pacing. The movie moves along at a very fast speed. If you can pay attention and digest all of the information quickly, you'll enjoy it even more.

If you enjoy law movies, movies involving crime, movies with great acting, then watch this.
70 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Date Night (2010)
Date Night
22 April 2011
Like most married couples, The Fosters are bored. But when a case of mistaken identity turns a bored married couple's attempt at a glamorous and romantic evening into something more thrilling and dangerous.

The reason this film works is not the plot or script, but rather the talents of the two funniest people in showbiz today: Steve Carell and Tina Fey. The two seem to have an exceptional comedic connection that brings out a timing that reminds of the best comedy teams of all time.

I think if you enjoy the whole "action/comedy" genre you will probably get a good kick out of it. If your fans of either Tina Fay or Steve Carell this is definitely a must see for you.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Next Three Days
22 April 2011
In Pittsburgh, the family man and community college teacher John Brennan (Russell Crowe) has his life turned upside down when his beloved wife Lara Brennan (Elizabeth Banks) is arrested, accused for murdering her boss, and sent to the Allegheny County Jail. Along three years, John raises their son Luke (Ty Simpkins) alone and appeals to the court; however, the evidences against Lara are solid – the motive, since she had and argument with her boss; her fingerprints in the murder weapon, a fire extinguisher; blood stain in her coat; and a witness that saw her leaving the parking lot - and her lawyer exhausts all the possible resources in justice. John believes in the innocence of his wife and interviews a former escapee from prison to learn how to plan a prison break. Then he plots a scheme to release Lara and travel abroad with Luke and her. However, he needs documents for the family; an escape plan; and lots of money. When John is informed that Lara will be transferred to the state prison within the next three days, he needs to raise a large amount and anticipate his strategy before the transference.

The first act is great, the second act is not so good, and the third act is unbearably suspenseful.

The first act is great. It establishes awesome characters, and creates a horrible image of a lonely dad struggling to do his job, raising his son alone, and try to get his wife out of jail.

The second act is boring, it is John establishing how he is going to get Lara out of jail.

The third act is amazing suspenseful. So suspenseful I couldn't stand it.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Flawless (1999)
Flawless
22 April 2011
Joel Schumacher is a mixed bag. I mean we got Batman & Robin, Batman Forever, and Number 23. Then we have A Time to Kill, Falling Down, The Client, and Phone Booth.

Flawless is also a mixed bag. It is a performance driven movie (by Robert De Niro and Philip Seymour Hoffman). Both actors have great bodies of work and are impressive actors.

Flawless is about an ultraconservative security guard (DeNiro) suffers a debilitating stroke and is assigned to a rehabilitative program that includes singing lessons--with the drag queen next door.

Now, I don't care who you are, you have to admit Philip Seymour Hoffman was amazing in this movie. Like most of his movies, he is amazingly convincing, as Truman Capote, as a depressed theater director building a NYC replica, and as a drag queen.

Of course De Niro is great, but if he was anything less he wouldn't still be acting.

If acting makes the movie for you. Check out this movie.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Osmosis Jones (2001)
Osmosis Jones
22 April 2011
Osmosis Jones may not be the most entertaining movie of the summer of 2001. I don't think it's the funniest (That award probably belongs to 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back'), but it's well written and performed, and the animation is wonderful.

The film is a mixture of animated scenes and live action. The live action (directed by The Farrelly Brothers) stars Bill Murray as Frank, a disgusting, slovenly pig of a father, who'll eat anything, including soft boiled eggs! Even more gross, this particular soft boiled egg has spent some time in the paws and cage of a rather feisty monkey, and as a result a nasty virus enters Frank and begins to turn his body into mush.

If you like animation, Bill Murray, are into science and bodily stuff. You should check this out. It's on YouTube. Just search Osmosis Jones Part __
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.