Reviews

I just read a review saying that people did not like it based ion race. I'm thinking that some people felt obliged to like this film because of the PC implications.
11 December 2017
There is no way a normal person would have enjoyed watching this. Sure there was a cute dog, but the movie wasn't about the dog, or the pretty mountain. It was about two hopelessly unrealistic characters that could only be dreamed up by some author that probably used to be in the academia, and never actually met any real humans before. You have Idris as your perfect knight in shining armor, and you have your prefect feminist love affair. And you have a dog. Its not actually a good thing when the best actor is a canine. The idea of those two leads actually being romantic with each other is about as enticing as watching your grandparents kiss. The people who rate this movie highly talk about race more then they talk about the movie. Does anyone know about backlash to a Cheerio commercial that probably happened in the early 70's?
7 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Detroit (2017)
Pathetic. Lets rewrite history a little more, shall we?
30 November 2017
If Detroit shows us anything it shows this; Liberals with their environmental guidelines, huge corporate taxes, and Unions created the loss of jobs in Detroit, and indeed in all of the rust belt. That is why the city went downhill. White Flight is a result of people doing what they needed to keep themselves and their kids safe. It can't be blamed on white people. If the police had not cracked down on the riots in Detroit, more lives would have been lost, and mostly black lives. Considering that black people mob attacked and tried to kill several white people, and did kill others in those riots, its really, really funny that white people are the bad guys here, because of a fictional set of cops.
41 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So, there is this lawyer who is a bad version of Columbo or Monk, but this is SERIOUS! Because society or something...
28 November 2017
and we watch him prance around the screen, and we keep on getting told that he is really, really smart. Except that nothing he does is particularly smart. Its a completely informed attribute. And then there is just more of this guy bumbling around and we keep on being told how intelligent he is....and I am pretty sure if you started watching the film in the middle, or at the end, it wouldn't change anything. Its kind of clever as a character sketch, except the character is not believable, and doesn't go through any kind of development. Really when you see the trailer you get most everything you need to know about the film handed to you. If the film was a bit less pretentious, and took itself a bit less seriously you could just laugh at it. But it won't let you do that, because serious social issues, and a serious actor! But the wig is still really bad, and I don't think it was on straight for several scenes.
39 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lady Bird (2017)
Someone one is paying people for the reviews, honest to God!
28 November 2017
I mean it has some good acting, but the story is trite, and seriously uninspired. There is nothing to see here that hasn't been done in about one million other Hollywood films exactly like this one. Its the typical Hollywood depiction of the 50's, complete with some conservative strawmen to bat around. Its got your typical "brilliant forward thinking woman who doens't need any men" sort of thing. I can't recall what was up with the father in the story, because I just don't remember him or why he wasn't there...or really anything else. I kept on falling asleep.
92 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh. Too much added political correctness which made a boring adaptation just that much more boring.
13 November 2017
Im not sure if they were trying to make it modern, or what they were doing, but all they managed to do was put me to sleep. The re writing was just vile. It completely contradicts the reality of the 1930's. No one would have gone to a black doctor then, not even if he had been in the war, and had been sponsored by someone. It was all about current issues. The word "race" was said over 20 times until I lost count. I just got tired of them talking about segregation laws, and whatever else. Not that this isn't a worthwhile subject, but it simply does not belong in a Agatha Christie mystery at all. Then they went out of their way to go after sexism, making sure Penelope Cruz's character was "trained to fight" which is also absurd given the time period, and generally absurd given that she is tiny, and a reasonably healthy fifteen year old boy could probably win a fight with her. Agatha Chritie didn't write Buffy. The most likeble character was Ratchett himself, which is a big problem, and the opposite of what Christie wrote. I can't think of a worse adaptation of this work, and I have seen many. Just terrible.
73 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I can't decide what the worst thing about this movie would have been
24 October 2017
Is it Cara'a horrid character that kept on sending hot and cold messages to the guy she supposedly loved and acted like an abusive harridan? Maybe. Is it the awful story stolen from avatar about the pretty blue people who are good and nice and forgiving, and whom we harmed because we were not willing to sacrifice the safety of the space station housing billions? I guess. Personally, I would have done exactly what the "bad guy" did. I say you put citizens ahead of foreigners, otherwise citizenship is pretty darn meaningless. Is it the completely not believable fighting skills of the two models turned actors set as the heroes? Maybe. Easiest thing is to say what was good; The first part of the film with just music and no words was excellent. After that all you get is cara's annoying, constantly complaining voice in you ear. The mystery of this film is why Valerian doens't murder her. It would certainly be justify-able. It would also improve the movie.Worst film ever. I hope people don't start saying this film failed because it was original, because there is not a single original thing in there. Its just cliché on cliché.
17 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Watcher in the Woods (2017 TV Movie)
Lots of fun, something kids will enjoy, but you just might too!
24 October 2017
Its a bit of mystery, a bit of horror, and a bit of romance. its aimed for the youngsters, but the story, acting, and writing are top notch. Of course if you were hoping for actual horror, then move along. No body parts here. If you're looking for family fun, enjoy. One nice thing is that it really just entertains the kids, without piling on the political correctness, or some preachy message that ruins the fun. I recommend this. I will say again, viewers like Mr Ectoplasma who watch mostly only horro films, and like the trappings of horror will not be happy. This is an adventure story at heart, not a horror tale. In horror you feel the hoplesness as the hero/heroine is completely unable to do anything to save herself or others. This has a very different tone. Jan is smart, capable, and the scenery is there to show you the beauty of the English countryside, not to make you frightened or unsettled. Its only scary sometimes. I LIKED this approach and so will many others. But horror film lovers will be disappointed. One more time, I do NOT like horror. I have always found it kind of stupid. People who think like I do will enjoy this story. People who like by the book horror will NOT.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Gifted (2017–2019)
Excellent show, fast paced, likable characters, and actually a good family show too.
24 October 2017
Its a show my teens love, that I like to watch with them. It has great acting, great writing, and a decent, if not overly original, plot line. Its not like Heroes, or like the Avengers or like the Tomorrow People even if there is some shallow similarity. Its also one of the few shows out there that I am happy for my kids to watch. The characters really stand out as realistic and relate-able. NOT the cliché of snarky action girl, bad boy in love with the heroine, single mom whom the children rudely ignore and seem to despise. None of that. You will never find yourself shaking your head and wondering why the characters are overcome with emotion and doing the stupidest possible thing. Nope. The plot is tight as it is fast paced. The characters, both protagonists and antagonists, act intelligent. The family has a FATHER AND A MOTHER, and the children actually respect them! What is more, the parents actually go through character development along with the children. They are real characters, not simply static extras. I can't say enough good things about this. You should give it a try. Once you realize it is not your typical teen show, you will be very happy you did!
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Witch (2015– )
Not good family show. Bad morals, and bad thinking.
24 October 2017
It could be written off as the typical Hallmark brainless twaddle, and mostly it is. But I resent it masquerading as a family show. Sure, it never shows people having sex. But that in itself is not enough to make it a clean show. Cassie does not act like a mother should. She doesn't even act like a grown woman should. She is very promiscuous, sleeping with as many as three men at the same time. Also, for this to be a family show, it should show a family, Not a single mother badly raising a teenage daughter. The daughter is ill mannered, snarky, headstrong, and has the same lame powers of boring new ageism as the mother. She is also really rude and not very understanding to the boys she likes. Hardly something I would want my daughter to emulate. The men who flock to Cassie are completely unrealistic. One is a distinguished academic that looks like a washed up male model. The other is a plumber that looks like a washed up male model, which is somewhat more likely. The idea that any man would want to be around Cassie and er brat does make you think that magical powers are at play. Its not really helpful. The show always ends with Cassie sporting a smug smile you desperately want to beat off her face with a blunt object, and saying something from a lame self help book. Oh, lets not forget that vegan and holistic propaganda. If you are not in favor of either of those things you will REAL:LY hate this show.
3 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dynasty: I Hardly Recognized You (2017)
Season 1, Episode 1
Gave it a chance. I feel bad fro Fallon's dad, his kids are ungrateful tramps.
14 October 2017
I can't stand the characters. I thought maybe I could get past the immature,overly liberal view of the world presented by the show. IN RESPONSE TO ANYONE UNABLE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT I MEANT BY LIBERAL VIEW OF THE SHOW I never said all characters, or even most, were liberal. I meant the point of view of the writers is overly liberal. So, of course they will put in conservative characters, so that they can make them look bad. The father is certainly a strawman conservative. While Fallon and her brother are the liberals who we are supposed to cheer for, but can't because they are snotty, trampy, crybaby brats. OK...back to the review; Never mind the attempt to distort real life issues, like the pipeline built on Indian ground, which mirrors real life, except that in real life the pipeline is not on Indian ground, but rather on privately owned ground that Indians in the area made up reasons to claim simply for obstruction purposes. Of course on this show the fact that pipelines provide jobs so families can eat is omitted. But OK. Lets let that go. Fallon is a real ungrateful snot. How exactly does he decide that her father's company should be hers? It is HIS. HE gets to decide everything about it. If she is so smart, and capable, then she should go start her own company. Her father owns the company absolutely, and has built it to where it is, and it is up to him what to do with it. The idea that she deserves the company simply because she is her father's daughter is pretty absurd. Simply because her father's father decided to give the company to his son, doesn't mean her dad has to do the same thing. That is just silly. And I completely understand why he would not give the company to her. She is treacherous, going behind his back and making a deal with his enemies simply because she is not given what she believes she deserves. She is a user, and very loose in her morals, enlisting the aid of the driver, and paying him with sex. If I were the dad, I would have disowned the two brats too. They are almost funny, because they are such perfect millennial stereotypes; shallow, trampy, and entitled without ever having done anything for themselves.

Even the fashions are completely lackluster. You would think when representing wealth at the very least you could show off some unique fashion perspective, especially with the old Dynasty for reference. NOPE. Failed that too. You've seen one sheath dress, you've seen them all. And can I just say the chick that plays Fallon is really just not that good looking. I'm not a guy, but maybe its her personality, but she gets ugly fast. Maybe its that mean frown always on her face. The raspberry high rise slacks are kind of good.
4 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Snowman (2017)
Nice, moody thriller.
14 October 2017
Differs from the typical fare with a nice steady build up of suspense, gives satisfying clues, and in the end wraps up the mystery. If you are looking for Jigsaw, then this is not the film for you. I realize that some of the disappointed reviews were from folks who were hoping to be frightened. I personally have no love for shock value, and am never frightened by films. If i wanted to be scared, I would go watch Oprah or the Kardashians to be properly terrified at how absurdly stupid and inane the human race has become. Otherwise there isn't much a screen can do to terrify me. This isn't trying. It has the same goals as Wind River, but it fulfills them better. Probably because Detective Harry isn't a blundering idiot. I am unwilling to give up the plot like some others. I can say; nice pace, good story, not particularly original, but very well done. Exactly as it should be. Its not an art house film. Its a thriller mystery, and a engaging one.
163 out of 298 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dynasty (2017– )
Absolutely no fun, hits all politically correct clichés and not much more
11 October 2017
What a snorefest. Its like the entertainment industry is so desperate to tell the world about their political ideas that they no longer care

what the shows are actually about, and certainly don't want to take the time to write a new one. Thankfully for them( if not us viewers) they can mine a whole bunch of old shows that were successful, and ruin them. While the old Dynasty was fun with all the glamour, seduction and corruption of a fantasy version of the wealthy and powerful, this show is a boring, and predictable morality lecture to tell us viewers what our political thoughts should be. OF COURSE unlike the old Dynasty that wove the story around two brothers, we now have TWO WOMEN that are fighting for the control of the Dynasty. Because that is much more PC. Of course there are men in the family, and one of them is naturally gay. He is also the "good guy" that shows us that we should all be liberal in contrast with his strawman conservative dad. And naturally we have a black wealthy family that is competition for the Carringtons. I am sure you know how that is going to go. I think the subtext is that they want the viewer to be angry at rich people, and vote Democrat so that rich people are taxed to death. And it is NOT subtle. I could live with all that if the show was actually any fun. But its not. Its dreary, and somewhat insulting.
67 out of 183 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SEAL Team (2017– )
Finally, a show that accepts reality, and still makes you feel good
10 October 2017
Itsd gritty, and it has a tight plot. I watched it with several people who work in the military and they were all impressed by how accurate and how realistic the show was. The cast is amazing, and the plot is very grown up. It is such a departure from the typical cheesy action shows you see today. No stupid gadgets, no morality lessons about how we should dislike our own country. None of that. Oh, and the guys are HAWT! David Boreanz is gorgeous as ever. I would almost love to read the triggered reviews here, but it would be too boring. Oh, and one more awesome thing; There is a character named Stella, the stereotypical hypocritical feminist Millennial, and I love that they dropped her in. Kind of a wink wink at those in the know. Everyone I know has grown to like this, even those people who started out in different.
33 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Supremacy (I) (2014)
Not "ripped from any headlines"Garett Tully is made up. Its just boring and contrived.
8 October 2017
I watched it because I thought a review suggested that it was "ripped from the headlines" its not. Garett Tully has never existed in real life! I googled the name, and the circumstances of the plot. Ironically, the closest thing I could find is quite opposite, and that was a recent Chicago kidnapping and torture of a mentally challenged white teenager by four African American young adults led by Brittany Herring, who were emboldened by anti Trump sentiment, and who attended many BLM meetings. So I guess it has some similarity to the plot of this film. Perhaps this movie is a race reversed version of that. More likely, its just a typical, boring, contrived, pandering story that is as predictable as it is stupid. Not "ripped from the headlines" at all. Unless its the made up headlines we see so often today. Teaches me to read a few lines of a review and base my decisions to watch on that. Don't make my mistake. Don't watch this film.
7 out of 1,532 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Riverdale (2017– )
Horrible cliché ridden and dull
3 October 2017
The only reason I didn't give it one star is Cheryl Blossom whose performance saves a few scenes here and there. Its not enough to help the show, though. This really is a piece of work. You have Archie angst ridden over his knowledge of a unimportant seeming piece of information about a murder. There is no good reason given as to why he can not pass this information on anonymously. But then there is also no real reason why he would feel that bad about it. It doesn't seem like it would be that much help to the investigation. And considering that we are constantly dealing with Archie's angst, we can't get away from the stupidity either. It wears you out. Other then that flat characters, boring mystery. Politically Correct casting/writing; You know all negative characters must be portrayed by white actors. All gay characters must be courageous, honest, kind, and gossip like old women. All female characters must be athletic and capable of fighting, even if they are five foot four and weight a hundred pounds. The wealthy characters are evil, unhappy, and psychotic. I never did read the comic, but it must have been better then this garbage. This is like Pretty Little Liars done by an uninspired copy cat.
6 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Maybe if I hadn't heard this story about the four girls in the Magdalene laundry I would have cared.
2 October 2017
I can't help believing that every time they make a story based on these four recollections of these four girls in Ireland it gets even more exaggerated. I am sure that it was rough and everything, but admittedly the vast number of girls that went into the Magdalene system made it out alive, and every single one of those young women were sent there by their families, so they probably weren't exactly great daughters at the very least. I just think the whole exaggeration of their suffering is getting old.
0 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wind River (2017)
It was really good in soime ways, really bad in other ways
28 September 2017
The acting is amazing, especially Renner. The scenes well crafted. But the plot was just laughably bad. there were no clues to the mystery. It was like one minute you know nothing, the next you know everything. And Jane, poor jane must be litetrally the dumbest, and most inept FBI agent ever born.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The problem is casting Idris Elbow, not Stephen King
9 September 2017
Lots of S King works are wonderful movies, and none of them are even remotely close to the books. Misery, Green Mile, The Shining, The Stand, Carrie....I could keep going. This would have been fine if Idris Elbow was not the person cast as Roland. First there is the issue of, to use a made up word, "blackwashing". Whether it was done with Stephen Kings blessing or not makes little difference. The character was written as looking like Clint Eastwood, with pale skin, brown hair and blue eyes. Whether it mattered or not depends on who you ask. But the movie pits two men against each other. One heroic, one completely evil. And making them two different races gives the movie an ugly spin. Thyen there is Idris Elbow's acting, or lack of it. Yes he can glower, although I think if I saw it in real life I would laugh. But he just is not interesting to watch. Spome people find him attractive, But I never did get it. He looks exactly like what he is. A spoiled actor with an over inflated ego. The best part of the film was Matthew as Flagg. It could have worked if the casting was good. But I am sure that Hollywood was checking to see if Elbow could be the next James Bond. I hope they got their answer. No doubt they will keep on trying this out, making more films simply to push a political agenda, and sacrificing the fans in the process. Because you can't make a good film and propaganda at the same time. It never works.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When I first saw this, I thought it was deep. Then I turned twenty.
8 September 2017
This film reminds me of "Catcher in the Rye" being one of those things that seem incredibly important and original when you are fifteen or so, and then totally silly as soon as you grow up. Yes, big, Big, BIG tragedy. OOOOH...the drug world. Yes, drugs are bad. Well, for the most part drugs are bad. So is unprocessed sugar. Judging by the size of the average buttock in America and the UK, people need to worry a whole lot more about how much they eat then drugs as far as health is concerned. I wonder if in its time people saw "reefer madness" a film where a gifted young man with a dream ends up in jail, and his girlfriend in a mental ward, all because they smoked a joint, and reacted just like people did to this film. Lets look at this thing objectively; Point 1)This movie seems to miss is the purpose of bail. You do not actually need to post the entire amount. Also, you get all of that money BACK as soon as the person in question appears at the trial date. The state doesn't KEEP bail money. Its not a fine. Its collateral. Point 2) And possibly the DUMBEST thing in the film is how Harry and Tyrone are arrested because a doctor saw the signs of drug use. What exactly are they arrested for? It is NOT illegal to be a drug user. Its only illegal to possess drugs. It doesn't matter if you use them or not. What are they charged with? Track marks? Possessing money? Driving? I mean honestly. The message of the film is if you use drugs you will fail at everything you try to accomplish, loose your limbs and your mind. OK, I applaud the attempt to keep people away from dangerous substances, but making up nonsense scenarios to do it is just lame.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The worst kind of disingenuous drivel
18 August 2017
It reflects the way people overlook the very real dangers of overpopulation very well, but that's about it. First we are introduced to a world where medicine and food are scarce, no nature exists, and people eat rats, all because of overcrowding, and there is no end to the city, it goes on everywhere there is land. Then someone comes up with the idea of cryogenic putting to sleep kids with siblings. Why? When they could just do what China did, and simply mandate a one child ruling( it saved China from starvation btw)...well because they want to show you big bad soldiers taking away cute little innocent children. Never mind the fact that it is the children that would suffer the most in an even MORE overcrowded world, and then eventually their grandchildren would simply die from starvation...Basically its the same stupid idea that if people are not allowed to have twenty kids, then maybe its the twentieth kid that could figure out a way to cure overcrowding...never mind that we have a solution; Have less kids. And the whole thing sounds like 30 people ona raft that can only hold fifteen in the middle of the ocean seeing people treading water, and instead of realizing that the raft will sink if any more people come aboard they say "Oh good! Lets get them on this raft, because then we will have more people to row the raft!"
58 out of 216 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a drag. Too much gender identity.
26 July 2017
All women have completely different experiences, different personalities, and different expectations. We do not share any common identity, so stop trying to force one on us. Thsi moaning and complaining is old and tired. No oen deserves to be giuvena break because of their gender, and you should expect fierce competition for coveted roles. In fact, this whole thing is alie as we well know in Hollywood it on ly matters who you are related to, nothing else. Its alm ost like Medieval Europe, or India with a caste system, and anyone that has an original thought, or harbors an outsider is quickly ban ished. Why do you think alkkl m ovies and TV shiows these days are such a complete bore?
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Agent Carter (2015–2016)
Where is the love coming from? Generic "asskicking girl" and time spent on sexism that should have been spent on story
26 July 2017
I found the lead character dull and predictable. Typical snarky come backs, typical everythign really. Too many supporting male characters seem to be written for the sole purpose of making men look bad, and giving Peggy an opportunity to outshine them, outsmart them, and make us feel terrible about something which has nothing to do with anyone living today...and franly I would much rather be a woman back then then now. Not being expected to work would be well worth it. So would having well bred men compliment you. Today the only people that compliment women are creeps in "diverse" neighborhoods. Imagine having a nice looking WASP( White AngloSaxon Protestant, for those who don't know) guy telling you how nice your hair looks, or how pretty your dress is in your office without the fear of sexual harassment charges. I think I will go build a time machine...anyhow..back to the show. It was cringy to watch, I am not surprised it got cancelled, it was as bad as a CW show. The spy story was not well thought out, and the only good thing about the show were the costumes, cars, backgrounds, and production in general. But even a well polished turd is still a turd.
27 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Inside Amy Schumer (2013– )
She is rotten through and through
26 July 2017
A writer on her show, Kurt Metzger, basically said publicly that it is NOT OK to try and punish people accused of sexual assault on social media, that they should be tried Ina court of law. And for this completely sensible comment all of the feminazis ganged up and decreed that he was promoting rape culture, because obviously things like fair trials, and evidence have no place in their America. So what does Amy do? Stand by her old friend who was right? NOpe. She fires him. Rotten, shallow, and unfunny.
27 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Father Brown: The Kembleford Boggart (2015)
Season 3, Episode 7
Did anyone for a second think maybe the gypsy was guilty? No. Did anyone for a second wonder who was? No.
25 July 2017
Wouldn't it be something if instead of getting a morality lesson about how Gypsies would never do anything like steal, or leave behind a pregnant girl, we actually got a MYSTERY, where everyone was a suspect, and we had to look for clues to tell who did it, not simply point to the character that wasn't politically correct, and know it was them? Yeah, tell that to people who watch My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding! Paints a different picture.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Snatched (2017)
Hollywood started with nepotism,and it has graduated to incest.
25 July 2017
Nepotism is the well known reason that Hollywood is so lacking in any kind of talent. It is impossible for talented and creative people to thrive where the opportunities are doled out to relatives of insiders only, and where all free thought is discouraged in favor of a Nazi regime of Political Correctness. That explains the blandness and complete lack of new ideas( or even interesting presentation of old ideas). Katie Dippold( the screenwriter responsible for the male excluding version of Ghostbusters, as well as this gem) and Amy go waay past simply bland to a hereto unseen combo of mind numbing dullness with predictable dashes of eighth grade grossness. Its obvious that Hollywood insiders have gone from excluding all others from getting acting or writing jobs in Hollywood, to excluding all outsiders from their gene pool. They have started intermarrying. There is no other possible explanation to Amy, Lena Dunham, Katie Dippold and their ilk. It has to be unfavorable recessive genes. I can only guess at what kind of starlets will arise when Lena Dunham, Chuck Schumer and Madonna produce a single child with eight genders, and put them in a film costing more then necessary to cure all the ills Hollywood likes to cry about.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.