Reviews

Take Two (II) (2018– )
You're just like me, you need a second chance.
22 June 2018
Eddie Cibrian and Rachel Bilson have had careers for a while now. And I figured this would be a Castle rip-off that like its predecessor relied heavily of chemistry. Writing is not the responsibility of the actor, but they do the viewer an attempt to bring characters and make them likable, if that's the assignment. I doubt either actor was told to make their character to try and convince you to change the channel, but they do. There is no chemistry between them and it is painful to watch.

Here he has the streetwise P.I., Eddie Valetik (Cibrian) forced to take on actress Sam Swift (Bilson) who is a Linsdsay Lohan rehab type as his ride-along because he owes his Hollywood agent sister a favor.

Suddenly the two are on a murder investigation with Swift calling in favors from people she met over the eight years when she had a TV show playing, of course, a cop. Even though they are trying to capture one of the most dangerous gangsters in the city, not to fear as Swift is here. Swift quickly overpowers her PI mentor with favors she can call in, and her fix that everything that happens in real life, as real life is but a poor copy of her TV show. Oh, and everyone who pulls a gun out on our intrepid two, suddenly stops to ask, "Is that Sam Swift?"

If you don't expect good writing, if you have no expectation of good acting, if less than mediocre is your pleasure, here's your show. Highlight in dialogue: an upset Swift looking at Valetik and muttering to him that he, "Puts the dick in detective."

If they wanted Lohan, they should have hired her; she can act.
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Emergency!: Boot (1973)
Season 2, Episode 19
Ann Prentiss steals the episode
6 June 2018
An episode with a sense of fun with an uncredited Jamie Farr, pre MASH, doing a bit as a man cursed and unable to move his hand. But Dr. Early has his own gypsy cures. Then the staff has a problem as medical doctors unable to diagnosis what's wrong with Boot, the fire station dog. The docs have sort of stepped in because it's Sunday and veterinarians are all closed. Then Ann Prentiss, looking, sounding, and acting a lot like Paula Prentiss her older sister, plays a woman in hopes of luring a boyfriend through a home cooked meal. Unfortunately for Ann, flunking home economics sends her from one cooking disaster to another. For old timers, like me, there is a cameo appearance by Jock Mahoney as a man suffering from a bleeding stomach. There are serious rescues but enjoy watching the increasing frustrated Ann Prentiss.
Book Club (2018)
Hoping no one dies for real before the release
21 May 2018
Four sexagenarians, five septuagernians, and an octogenarian get cast into a movie about aging, sex, and having fun before the lights go out completely. If you are in your thirties or younger, I doubt this is a date night movie unless you are desperate to get your date to go along with carpe diem.And if you of an age to be cast in this fun romp among the wealthy and old, I would recommended that you wait for it to appear for "somewhat free" on Amazon Prime. There isn't anything new here and for me Cacoon has the same message but is more fun.
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Keeping Faith (2017– )
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
12 May 2018
Nothing happens. Evan Howells leaves for work and doesn't arrive. Faith Howells would like to know where her husband went. The gossipy old bird next door calls the police immediately as she believes from seeing Evan drive off in the morning, after Faith came home tipsy the night before after a night out with the girls, that Faith murdered him. There is a lot of Faith looking through closets and bags for clues.A lot of Faith thumb bitting. A lot of Faith lying on the floor staring up at the ceiling. A lot of Faith drinking white wine. A horrible score. Skip to the last episode, it will save time as each hour long episode seems an eternity. The ending? You decide but you will thank me if you skipped 2-7.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Tarzan vs the crocs
7 April 2018
Weissmuller made a dozen Tarzan films over sixteen years. Tarzan's Secret Treasure is just about in the middle of that run, and Weissmuller is a bit older and "thicker" but still has the muscular look of Tarzan. I always liked the Tarzan films when I was young and regretted that Weissmuller never had the opportunity to become John Clayton, Lord Greystoke, but remained a monosyllabic Tarzan. I had read all of Burroughs' books and believe only John Carter and David Yates' The Legend of Tarzan capture Burroughs' characters.

Regardless, Tarzan's Secret Treasure is an enjoyable Tarzan entry even though there is little new here; however, the rescue of Jane and boy and the fight with crocodiles is worth it at the film's end. Good film to kick back with on a winter weekend or rainy weekend and sofa down with popcorn and just go along for the fun.
Good Karma indeed
23 March 2018
First, I don't really care if its shot in Sri Lanka and not India. The setting looks good and helps make the various episodes Look and appear "real." Other than that, I don't care as the setting is both beautiful and exotic. Amanda Redman still looks great and makes her role of Dr. Lydia Fonseca believable. Amrita Acharia as Dr. Ruby Walker is appropriate as Indian by nationality but English woman by birth who in a fit of heartbreak decides to regroup by taking a position in an Indian hospital whereby she can enjoy the beautiful beaches, local color, and live in a luxurious apartment as her heart heals from a bad romantic relationship. Needless to say, this quickly becomes a fish out of water show as the realities of working in a "dump" of a hospital with minimal facilities and a variety of quirky locals have to be negotiated by Dr. Ruby Walker who is learning how to grow up and not live in the bubble of what she thought would be a medical vacation of sorts.

As the stories progress, we learn more about the various characters and alternate between humor and heartbreak. Dr. Walker has to learn to negotiate her English sensibilities with the realities of working in a run-down hospital and treating patients who have neither money of resources. The humor comes mainly from situations but the heartbreak is about people.

Don't get too attached to some of the characters as their storylines run out while the series continues. The series tries to have a big heart and for the most part it does. The acting is excellent and you care about the characters; it's a shame so many of the stories end sadly.

The series is certainly worth watching and I hope for many more seasons.
Haunted Gold (1932)
A film for kids in the 30's, today they wouldn't be allowed to watch it.
21 March 2018
The opening credits would have had me scrunched down in my seat; then when a creepy hand appeared my eyes would have closed but I would have opened one eye slightly so I wouldn't miss anything good about to happen. A good thing too because a man was missing and then a picture frame moves revealing a pair of eyes.

Then the scene changes as we see John Wayne appearing being followed by Clarence, his ranch cook, who gets to play the same character Mantan Moreland played in the old Sidney Toler Charlie Chan films. In other words, he is there to be the black comic relief who comes close to saying "hooves, don't fail me now." He is a cowboy who rides a horse, but he doesn't want to go to any haunted mine with spooks and all.

And back at the haunted ghost town, Joe Ryan and his men start shooting at shadows, or was it the phantom. But Ryan won't be spooked: he has a half interest in the Sally Ann mine. John Mason (Wayne) owns the other half. Janet Taylor had owned the other half but it was lost to Ryan. Regardless, Mason has received a message to show up as his half interest in the mine is in jeopardy. Janet Taylor received a similar message but doesn't know why; she has no ownership rights. Worse, she tells Mason that she feels she is being watched and she is!

So, will Mason figure out what's going on? Will he be able to return to Janet her half ownership? Will he convince Clarence there are no ghosts? Will he see that Joe Ryan and his men get what they deserve? Will he find out if Simon really is deaf and dumb?

I love the scene when Janet Taylor comes down stairs dressed as if she were going on a fox hunt with knee high riding boots, a shirt and tie, wearing a blazer and topped off with a feathered riding cap. Next Janet learns from Benedict that she was cheated out of her half of the mine by Ryan and that her father was framed and sent to prison.

Mason tries to trick Ryan to get Janet's share of the mine back but his plan backfires and the phantom steals the mine ownership. What follows is a mash up of events that would have had kids sitting wide eyed waiting to see what happens next.

The thirties were a great time for Western. John Wayne alone was cranking out about five Westerns a year and there was a massive amount of cowboy heroes. This is a fun film and is very entertaining but the PC police wouldn't know where to start as Blue Washington (Clarence) suffers through a long series of indignities. At least in this film he receives credit.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Great Oater when you were 10.
21 March 2018
Let's see, this picture was made in 1932 and my parents were just about ten years old. As this was the depression and my dad was one of six kids, I doubt if he had a nickel to spend. As I watch this, as an old, old man; I see it as a pretty good oater. Lots of action, last minute rescues, and a smattering of adult humor. At least, I hope the humor was adult aimed for I know I wouldn't have gotten it. John Wayne got top billing although he shared it with Duke, his horse.

The action moves quickly enough for kids to follow it to see if Wayne caught the bad guy or at least exposed him to the law. I thought the film held up over the years. Solid supporting cast with both Harry Gribbon and Otis Harlan providing the humor; a little gallows at times but no doubt that was for any adult who wandered in.

You have to feel sorry for Wayne's character, John Drury, who goes from horse saving hero to wanted outlaw in the blink of an eye. I think after all was done with, I would have just moved on and left these people to themselves.

But, all in all, a decent oater for its time.
Tatort (1970– )
Interesting crime show
13 February 2018
Currently there are three seasons running on MHz identified as Tatort: Cologne (crime scene, Cologne) going from 1998 to 2007 that feature Inspectors Max Ballauf and Freddy Schenk (actors Klaus Behrendt and Dietmar Bar). The two actors work well together and it's interesting to see them adapt to new technology and changes in police procedure. Those changes aren't part of the stories but just note how quickly things change.

At times Max and Freddie's personal issues can surface in an episode to add to building of their characters, and at times as crucial story points. Max has even been known to sleep with a suspect. Several episodes deal with social problems and the stories can be very gritty and the conclusions quite depressing.

At times both my wife and I yell at the screen when obviously bad conclusions are reached by the inspectors but you do have to fill about 90 minutes per episode. At times the episodes seem more about commenting on social issues rather than being solid mystery stories. In spite of some of these commentaries, the two forge ahead but they seem to get to finding the perp more by dumb luck than solid detective work. But they do doggedly pursue their quarry and usually catch the suspect.

Like any series, there are good episodes and disappointing ones but Max and Freddy are worth a look.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Leave It to Beaver: Beaver's Pigeons (1959)
Season 2, Episode 20
A show written for Ward and Wally for a change
12 February 2018
Ward wants to get off to work but Beaver needs a dollar. Two fifty cent pieces as that must sound less than a whole dollar, and that will allow Beaver to join his friends in the pigeon club. Beaver can then get two pigeons to raise but Ward wants to stop by the pet store for the whole story. Apparently, the sell was a good one as Ward returns home after work with two pigeons. But he can't give them to Beaver as Beaver has contracted chicken pox. Who will take care of the pigeons? Wally agrees to care for the pigeons although when he had to take over Beaver's hamsters, they ended up croaking.

Things seem OK until Larry comes over with his pigeons. He has to go away for the weekend and needs a pigeon sitter. As Larry's birds look ill, it is a reluctant Wally who agrees and the pigeons are put together. When Wally checks the pigeons later, they all look sick. Did they catch something from Larry's pigeons? Will Wally be blamed for croaking Beaver's pigeons? Will Ward try to save the pigeons? Will all end happily?

An episode with an ending a lot of kids could no doubt relate to. Along the way they might have even gleaned something about responsibility and friendship. Looking back over the years, I sometimes wonder what I picked up from watching TV. It wasn't the babysitter it is now. Even on Saturday's writers did most of the shows like Fury and Sky King or Mr. Wizard using the same format they did for adults.

For a surprise, we find out that Larry can actually act in a rather mature manner. Who knew?
Ensign O'Toole (1962–1963)
It could have been a contender
22 January 2018
A true waste of a potential great cast. I have to blame the writers here. This sitcom seemed to have weekly shows minus its two chief attractions: Dean Jones and Jack Mullaney. There were several episodes that didn't even have the cast in them, just the guest star. One almost has the feeling that the cast were all waiting for their real shows to turn up. Maybe the writers sensed that and decided not to bother about scripts. Unfortunately, while most of the cast had careers, no one really made super star status. Dean Jones cranked out some Disney films but never had that one role. If anyone came close it was probably Beau Bridges.

Among several service comedies, Ensign O'Toole found itself just another casualty. The show was in good company. Hennessey with Jackie Cooper, Abby Dalton, and Roscoe Karns was probably the success. Broadside with Kathleen Nolan, Mr. Roberts with Roger Smith, and Operation Petticoat with John Astin, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Jim Varney ( Hi there Vern)-just sank. A few out there might recall C.P.O. Sharkey with Mr. Warmth himself, Don Rickles only set sail for two seasons. Maybe Navy comedies aren't right or write for TV.

You might catch Ensign O'Toole sailing the shores of MeTV or Cozi or Decades for a few episodes and be able to try and figure out what might have been.
Beulah (1950–1953)
Try to view it through the eyes of an 8 to 10 year old
10 January 2018
I'm not sure you can review this show or Amos and Andy by 2018 "racial sensibilities." Beulah was a maid, an anomaly in the households of 99 percent of the country, who pretty much raised the Hendersons' son Donnie with the help of her friends. The humor was gentle and the show ran on ABC in the 7:30 slot. The "Seven to Eight" hour was one pretty much ignored by adults but was prized by kids. On the DuMont Television Network ran one of the best shows ever for kids: Captain Video and his Video Rangers. Beulah followed on ABC and retained a lot of the kids. That kids' audience is now in their 70's and I doubt many recall Beulah clearly. I can't recall Captain Video all that clearly either.

Thanks to the Internet and the plethora of cable networks, some of these old shows rise to the surface once again. For me many bring back some good attached memories; some make me wince seeing the cheap sets and terrible acting. I am left to wonder what synapsis in my brain were connected/created to shape the person I am today. Did the vestigial images of Beulah from decades past shape my view of Blacks today? I don't know but I still get a smile when I see Beulah or Amos and Andy. If that's the take-a-way, then I don't see any problems. I know I don't appreciate it when someone suggests I enjoy those shows because I harbor racist views. Beulah was nice, she was loyal to her friends, always tried to follow her heart and do the right thing. What was wrong with that picture?
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
What, again?
7 January 2018
I like Jack Black but he's running his niche character a little thin. He made King Kong (2005) bearable, and was perfect in Tropic Thunder, and I liked the semi-serious turn in The Holiday. Here like in most of his films, he helps with the comic turns but in an usual way that almost makes this his movie. Kevin Hart plays Kevin Hart. The Rock likewise plays the Rock. In this turn the game is amped up to being a video game but you know the drill. It's a pretty much mindless romp that I would have waited to see on HBO or Netflix but that a friend had passes. I guess I am tired of CGI and loud booms and plotless films. I suspect if you are under thirty you will enjoy this and have some laughs but the studios are really pushing Jumanji to the breaking point but I'm sure they will squeeze another film out of this franchise depending on the profits. I am beginning to wish Hollywood would start on the road to bankruptcy already with the endless repetitions.
4 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
The Team (2015– )
Good European crime miniseries
4 January 2018
I was a fan of Crossing Lines, another European import running on Netflix, and when I read an introductory blurb on MHz there seemed to be some similarities so I decided to give it a try. Both my wife and I enjoy it. The team of European cops assembled to find what appears to be a serial killer is quite good. While they are supposed to work together there are some internal rivalries and one of the countries seems to have its own hidden agenda which they expect to stay that way.

The episodes are short, one hour each, and the story moves along at a crisp pace. Harald Bjorn, the titular leader of the team, seems to have a past with another member; and she seems to be having some issues of her own with her husband. The subplots don't take anything away from the main story, and provide us with back stories on team members.

There are eight episodes you need to commit to if you want all the pieces to fall into place. The cast seems to be quite good and work together well. I would recommend it as it is so much better than the usual crap we see on American TV. If having to read subtitles is a turn off then you will probably take a pass; but I was amazed at how much of the dialogue was English.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
To be without friend is a serious form of poverty.
9 December 2017
I'm usually a softhearted for these Christmas movies from the 40's and maybe if Frank Capra had had an opportunity to recast and have some significant rewriting done then maybe this film would have turned out better. A neglected film is Holiday Affair with Robert Mitchum, Janet Leigh, and Wendell Corey. Directed by Don Hartman it has a lighter and more comedic touch.

The only member of the cast I like is Charles Ruggles. Everyone else is miscast and without sympathy which is not good for a film that's supposed to pull on your heartstrings. By now you know the plot, a hobo moves into a Fifth Avenue mansion while the owner winters in Tennessee. Victor Moore is the hobo and had a spotted film career. Moore's character, Aloysius T McKeever, ends up having a recently evicted soldier, Jim Bullock (Don DeFore) move in with him and then a slew of others show up. When the mansion's owner Michael J. O'Conner (Ruggles) shows up, his daughter Trudy (Gale Storm) is romantically interested in Bullock. When Trudy realizes her father is about to have everyone in the house arrested, she calls in her divorced mother Mary (Ann Harding) to help present a bulwark against her father.

Of course, there is the requisite happy ending with O'Conner and his wife getting back together, Bullock and Trudy cementing their romance, a bunch of ex-servicemen pulling their money to buy housing, the usual. I am sure in the current climate (2017), the story might have appeal with the little people vs. the industrial giant; but the little people only win because Michael J. O'Conner lets them in a rather unbelievable end. It's not that I don't like the message, it's just the wrong movie for me.

Oddly enough this movie was popular with audiences while Capra's directorial choice It's a Wonderful Life bombed. But with time the Capra film is now a Christmas classic; and It Happened on Fifth Avenue is just about completely forgotten.
Knightfall (2017– )
It's not history but it is is entertainment worth watching.
8 December 2017
If you are really interested history of the Templers then you might try The Templars by Dan Jones, if you like your "history" rolled about in conspiracies and arcane myths with questionable respect for accuracy but "insight into the secret history" and ways the Templars influence leaders today then go for The Knights Templar by Conrad Bauer.

I doubt if there are many people who know anything about the Knights Templar, but if you like the look of a handsomely produced period piece set among the early 14th Century, then this is great to watch. There is intrigue, betrayal, sex, gore and all the usual stuff that makes Game of Thrones popular. When I say sex, don't expect nudity as this is the History Channel not HBO; but the battle scenes are well done.

Casting looks good and acting is fine. I can't say I recognize the cast except for Jim Carter who was Mr. Carson in Downton Abbey and plays Pope Boniface VIII here. Don't watch because you are expecting a history lesson any more than you would watch The Big Bang Theory to become a physicist. Basically, it is a well-done show with great sets and solid acting. Set your DVR.
42 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Singing, singing, dancing and Whoopie!
3 December 2017
Of course it is a formula. It was 1993, remember 1993. It's Andy Hardy dates Sister Mary Clarence with James Coburn as a villain. And who cares? This film helps people remember how much fun Whoopi Goldberg could be and there are some wonderful music numbers that will get you moving and feeling good. Then there is possibly the best credit run ever at the film's conclusion. Plus you look at the young cast and think isn't that Jennifer Love Hewitt or Lauryn Hill? Older audiences will recognize Barnard Hughes, Mary Wickes, Michael Jeter, and Dame Maggie Smith the Dowager Countess of Grantham.

There is nothing bad about just admitting you were entertained and felt good as the credits roll on. I wish Whoopi had stayed with film and Broadway. To this day I remember her one woman show on Broadway which was later broadcast as an HBO special. What a talented woman. I know it's PC to say "person" or "actor," but I don't care; Whoopi Goldberg is a great entertainer and I can't understand why we can't accept and acknowledge she is a woman. Her performances over the years have made me cry and laugh such that I thought I would burst.

Know what, just go to Apple or Amazon, rent the movie. Sit back with some popcorn and prepare to laugh and clap and maybe even dance to the signing. I bet you hit IMDb to see what else Whoopi was in that you missed.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Wycliffe: Bad Blood (1997)
Season 4, Episode 6
DI Lane sucks at being in charge.
3 November 2017
This is a horrible episode to watch. What you have is a family, the Penmores, who have lost their family fortune through bad investments. Rather than accept what they have done to themselves, they harass a local family who are totally innocent but because of the worst policing I have ever seen an innocent baby is killed and a decent family is destroyed. There is no doubt all of the responsibility falls on DI Lane who fails completely in arresting one of the Penmores after he makes direct threats of violence against Laura Kessell and her baby.

It seems DI Lane is weak and afraid of the Penmores. Det. Supt. Wycliffe has been absent because he has had to attend a funeral for one of his wife's minor relatives when he should have been on duty; but for his wife he had to be where she wanted him to be. Upon his return to the station, Wycliffe asks the questions his staff should have asked and finds a potential subject; and that subject is the one who is able to identify the guilty party. But while Wycliffe is arresting the actual murderer, DI Lane failed to provide even one officer as protection for the family that has been threatened.

The Penmores and their friends attack the Kessell family in their home; and before the police arrive it is too late to save the family. It's a tough episode that makes you wonder about policing in Cornwall in the 90's.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Perry Mason: The Case of the Ancient Romeo (1962)
Season 5, Episode 28
Moth-eaten rags or were they?
3 November 2017
Perhaps a commentary on reverse ageism in Hollywood with this episode. The name leading this company of Shakespearians is Franz Lachman played by Jeff Morrow who in the "production" is playing Romeo. A neat trick as Morrow was 55 and better suited to playing Romeo's grandfather. Same for the two main supporting players: Rex Reason (34) playing Steve Brock aka Mercutio; and Patricia Huston (33) as Claire Adams, the would-be-adolescent ingénue playing Juliet.

The plot deals with the problem of the troop being broke and in need of immediate cash to open. So a backer supporting Miss Adams offers $11,000 to have Miss Adams cast as Juliet. Then there is a murder, questionable murder, and a shipment of props and costumes held up by customs. After that, everything becomes so convoluted that the viewer needs a scorecard to figure out who is what and why things were done or maybe weren't.

For a finish, we assemble the cast (literally) on stage at the playhouse. Enjoy the fun but I can't guarantee you will completely get the answer, but it's just a TV show after all.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Circle of Fear: Earth, Air, Fire and Water (1973)
Season 1, Episode 16
Earth, Air, Fire, and Dull and Uninteresting.
22 October 2017
It was early and I couldn't find anything I wanted to watch and ended up at Decades TV with something called Ghost Story. I found the eerie opening with some disembodied voices talking to one another a draw so I paused and the title went by but what made me halt were the writing credits: teleplay by D, C. Fontana, and story by Harlan Ellison, and developed by Richard Matheson. If you read science fiction as a kid, these writers were as well known to you as your own name.

The basic story revolves around some young artists who rent a building with a questionable pass to open a sort of artist commune. At first, everyone is upbeat but then they find a chest with six different colored jars. Each takes one and then their art work begins to turn odd. Soon the artists disappear one by one until there are two: Ellen Parrish (Joan Blackman) who was odd from the start and Sam Richards (Frank Converse) who tended to play Mr. Steady characters throughout his career.

It seems the jars contain the essences of some ancient "gods" who slowly take over the personalities of the various artists and absorb them "body and soul" into the individual jars. To be honest the seemingly endless commercial with Larry King pushing OmegaXL became more interesting than the story. It seems even great writers can end up writing crap. But now I was 50 minutes in so what the hell, I decided to stay until the end. Would Frank Converse escape or would he too succumb to the jar.

In the end there is Parrish's painting and some shrubbery out of an old Tom Baker Dr. Who episode moving about eating things including a dog. Converse breaks his jar but it's too late to escape, the shrubbery is coming to get him and he can't open the door to escape. Suddenly, Converse tosses a match and ignites the building and races out but too late, his art has eaten him. Watch the episode to figure that observation out. Better yet, watch something else.

Decades TV has been running what they call Forgotten TV and this series was one among others like Cowboy in Africa, The Trouble with Father, One Step Beyond, The Invisible Man, and One Happy Family to name a few.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin: The Guilty One (1955)
Season 1, Episode 24
No one is smarter than Rin Tin Tin
21 October 2017
Russ Bradley has been captured by Marshal Les Allen, and Rusty, Rinty, and Rip are in town to hear the news as they are picking up some heliographs for army use. Out in the desert, it appears that Bradley is dangerous. Bradley tells the Marshal that only one of them will be coming out of the desert alive.

Rusty is out with the troopers testing the new heliographs when he sees the Marshal and Bradley down by a well by the abandoned Wells Fargo Station. Bradley has knocked the Marshal over when Rusty arrives to insure the Marshal is safe. Rip and the troopers have lost sight of Rusty and are getting worried when Rusty flashes them a signal that he needs help. Suddenly Rusty hears gunshots. Bradley has slipped away from the Marshal again and now has a rifle. Rip and the troopers arrive to hear the story of the escape; and Rip orders his men to spread out and look for Bradley leaving Rusty behind to guard the horses.

Bradley backtracks and returns to Rusty. When Rip and the men hear a shot, they find Rusty who tells them Bradley has left on a horse this time. Rusty leaves with the Marshal leaving Rip and the troopers behind. After enough waiting, Rip gives Rinty a shirt and tells him to find the man belonging to the shirt. Meanwhile Rusty and the Marshal have caught up to Bradley.

Rip and the troopers arrive with Rinty and tell Rinty to find Bradley. Rusty sends a heliograph message to Rip and the troops. When Rinty shows up, Rusty gives him the Yo, Rinty to attack. And Rinty attacks the Marshal. Rusty is confused but Rinty isn't. The man they all thought was Bradley was the Marshal. Bradley got the drop on him and then changed places because no one in the territory knew either man by sight; but Rinty knew.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Murder, She Wrote: Trial by Error (1986)
Season 2, Episode 13
Mark Reynolds, he will certainly remember Jessica.
18 October 2017
Twelve angry people but this time it's Angela Lansbury (Jessica Fletcher) instead of Henry Fonda as the doubting Thomas. And this time there are two actual murders that have to be solved. Of course, Jessica is there to help the jurors and the prosecutor find the answer. What makes me watch this episode is spotting Tom Ewell in the cast but I don't recall seeing his name in the on screen credits. I suspect but for a few old fans, Tom Ewell was as much an unknown as was his almost line less character. I still recall Ewell from The Seven Year Itch and his own short-lived TV show, and he did have a recurring role of Baretta but he just sticks in my mind. This was his last appearance anywhere as far as I can tell, and I suspect Angela Lansbury had him in the cast as a bit of graciousness which I assume is part of just who she is.

The episode is clever and there is a nice little twist at the end which no doubt pleased fans of a good mystery, but I just appreciate a farewell wave to a fellow actor.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Circus Boy: The Judge's Boy (1957)
Season 2, Episode 12
Bimbo the hero
16 October 2017
A local judge is trying to get the mine owners to pay for safety equipment but finds he is bullied by the miner owners. One of the owners sons, Dirk, gets into a fight with the judge and pulls a gun on him. When Tim comes into town on a wagon, he sees what's happening and comes to the judge's rescue.

On the judge's way home, Tim travels along with his old friend. The judge's son, Carlton, is impressed with Big Tim, and with his father who didn't back down.

Carlton decides he is just a bother to his dad so Carlton decides he is going to run away and join the circus. And Dirk Keyes has decided he is going to get back at Tim and the Judge. He gets a couple of the boys together and attacks the judges house. Carlton has shown up at the circus and for the time being Tim will keep the boy with the circus. Keyes shows up and tries to set a circus tent on fire but he and his friends are identified but the tent burns down. The judge arrives to get Carlton but Tim tells him he just needs to spend some more time with his son; the judge decides to let Carlton stay with the circus. Dirk is trying to convince his friends to ambush the judge. But Corky and Carlton send Bimbo against Dirk who trees the bad guys. Corky convinces Carlton that he should return to his dad and help keep him safe.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Circus Boy: Uncle Cyrus (1957)
Season 2, Episode 11
Pete is the boss?
16 October 2017
The circus has a new cat but Jo Jo the monkey manages to let it out of its cage. As if that's not bad enough, Pete gets a telegram, which he can't read, but it says Pete's Uncle Cyrus is coming to visit his nephew, the owner of the circus. Big Tim and Joey and the other decide to play along and pretend Pete is the owner as long as his uncle is about.

When Uncle Cyrus arrives, Pete really steps into the role. And Cyrus wants to learn everything about the circus including going over the books. Cyrus turns out to be a fast study; and Pete manages to stumble through the role of ringmaster. Big Tim tries to teach Pete about the books and itinerary for upcoming shows, but Pete can't figure out anything and when the county tax man shows, Uncle Cyrus saves the day; Cyrus also handles a temperamental performer, Zelda,by convincing her she is selfish. Cyrus tells Pete that he is impressed as seeing how Pete is running the business and Cyrus gives Pete a bad full of money as a reward. When Pete sees the money, he goes power mad and offers to buy the circus. When Pete's cousin shows up, he reveals the the money in the bag is just fake stage money. Now Pete is reduced to being just his old broke self.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Circus Boy: The Marvelous Manellis (1957)
Season 2, Episode 10
Corky finds a girlfriend.
16 October 2017
Corky has a crush on Marie Manelli but isn't sure she feels the same about him. Marie believes Corky is too young for her. Worse, the Manelli family is going to leave the circus and return to their California home where they have a vineyard.

When Corky and Marie go off for a picnic, Jo Jo the monkey comes along and has found a box of matches. The monkey starts a fire and frightens off the pony and pony cart the kids were in. Both Corky and Maries are trapped. But Joey and the Manelli brothers find the kids; but they need to set up a rope over a gorge so Pierre can walk across to save them. But Pierre pretends his ankle is twisted, Jean then has to overcome his fear of falling to save the children. Jean saves Marie, and Pierre saves Corky. The Manelli brothers decide to stay with the circus and perhaps Marie now sees Corky as brave also.