Reviews

Patrick (I) (2018)
For Dog Lovers!
15 June 2019
A young English schoolteacher inherits a 9 year-old Pug Dog from her grandmother and has several life-changing adventures because of "Patrick". He reminds me of a compilation of the many dogs I have owned throughout my lifetime. Mischievous, messy, destructive, and ultimately totally lovable and unforgettable. Most enjoyable as everything turns out alright at the end. It's a romantic comedy and far better than anything on The Hallmark Channel. Is it totally realistic? of course not! It's a welcome change from the typical dog movie wherein something terrible happens to the dog in the end! Probably will be enjoyed mainly by little kids and adults. No talking dogs in this one!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hubert and Edwina "borrow" a Baby!
11 June 2019
A Coen Brothers masterpiece. It starts out slowly and builds up momentum. The last half is totally outrageous, funny, and heart-warming. H.I. is a 3-time-loser that holds up convenience stores and goes to prison for about 18 months at a time. He falls in love with the little Arizona town's police woman "Ed" and marries her when he finally gets out. So many funny and outrageous situations: Ed's time in jail. Stealing and raising Arizona. The baby being left behind, perfectly safe, in a carrier, in the middle of the highway. Robbing the "Hayseed" Bank. The "showdown" with the bounty hunter . H.I.'s vision of the future (2 hankies) which is a genius ending to this movie. A great cast and one of Cage's best roles; and he sure has been in some "stinkers". Holly Hunter is wonderful as Officer Ed". John Goodman is terrific in his supporting role as an escaped prisoner with a heart-of-gold. An easily-missed "nest egg" is that the bounty hunter has the same tattoo H.I. does. Best seen uncut as the first half is a bit slow and that is the only reason I didn't give this movie a "10". Some "PG" violence and therefore not for children. Nick and Holly have good on-screen chemistry.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Supergirl: The Quest for Peace (2019)
Season 4, Episode 22
Where do we go from here?
2 June 2019
Is this the season or series finale? Without revealing the plot I hope that this is not the end of the series. Will there be room for Supergirl and Batwoman on the same WC Fall Sunday night schedule? A small cliffhanger here as the nemesis of the green Martian appears (at the very last second) out of nowhere. I sure hope that this nasty villain "zaps" Lex Luthor back-to-life. Like Kriptonite, he is a necessary evil in the Superman and Supergirl legend(s). Time (or Nielsen ratings) will tell. There is much I dislike in the current storyline of Supergirl. Trans-sexual and (horrors) bi-sexual (or as I call it, try-anything sexual) does not belong here. Brainiac should be green with a large alien forehead (as he "really appears" uncloaked. He is not human yet has fallen in love with the alien superhero Dreamer?
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gigi (1958)
The Similarity to "My Fair Lady" cannot be denied!
1 June 2019
Some of the songs sound similar? Louis Jourdan's soliloquy bears a striking similarity to Henry Higgins' "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face". Both are musical classics. However, the authentic Parisian locations are a genuine plus and a real thrill to behold, and I can't imagine anyone else portraying "Gigi" except petite Leslie Caron. Maurice Chevalier and Harimone Gingold are a perfect match as well. On repeated viewings, I find "Gigi" more charming than "My Fair Lady" as the later seems a bit overproduced. Both women had their singing dubbed by well-known professionals in this field. No contest there!
High Society (1956)
Did You Evah!
31 May 2019
A song AKA "What a Swell Party This Is" The humorous musical "duel" between Crosby and Sinatra. The other significant song is "True Love" an Oscar nomination. Grace Kelly is the best (you might say only) "saving grace" about this film. She is fascinating and gorgeous in almost every scene,even "dressed down" in plain slacks and a shirt. She is beyond stunning in the dresses and gowns she wears in the film. She barely swims in the pool and that is sort of a "running gag". It's a weak remake of "The Philadelphia Story (1940) with an otherwise undistinguished but clever Cole Porter score, except for the two songs mentioned above. Louis Armstrong and his Band perform, which is also a "plus". Beautifully filmed at an unbelievably pretentious mansion in Newport, Rhode Island. (Among other places.) A nice supporting cast and a completely unbelievable story which only really "pops" when Frank or Grace are in the action. Reporters never quit their job over an assignment. . If I feel that way about this movie, then why did I give it a "9"? Grace Kelly has such charisma! A great copy in Technicolor and VistaVision.

True facts: Grace Kelly wears the actual diamond engagement ring given to her by Prince Rainier. The sailboat used in this picture is still seaworthy!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bless This Mess: The Estonian Method (2019)
Season 1, Episode 6
Green Acres Updated
23 May 2019
A mid-season surprise hit and renewed for season 2. Ed Begley Jr. 's character (Rudy) lives in the barn and named his pet chicken "Teresa" after his first wife. He is smitten with the local Sheriff (Pam Grier). Mr. Bowman just invited himself into Mike and Rio's ramshackle homestead to live. All the chickens are pets and can't be eaten. Mr. Bowman's son has a serious "crush" on Rio. Mike and Rio are always hot-to-trot. If something doesn't break down, then it catches on fire. Too much fun!
Dumbo (1941)
Short and sweet and leave it alone!
21 May 2019
As I write this, Disney is planning on changing or removing the "When I See an Elephant Fly" sequence in the 1941 movie, as it might upset Afro-Americans. There are far worse examples of stereotypical dialect and behavior in dozens of other animated and live-action movies from all the studios in the 1930's and 1940's. I don't want to address this deeply and ruin the "love" that this movie portrays. Of course the animated 1941 version infers that the baby elephant nicknamed "Dumbo" is stupid and defective just because of his oversized ears. This was never true and the movie is very heartwarming and sincere. Both Timothy Mouse and the Crow Chorus cheer Dumbo on and try to boast his self-confidence. I hope that "When I See an Elephant Fly" is not pulled from the movie, but if it is, I have a wonderful copy where nothing has been censored or changed. Why not also remove the slightly scary "Pink Elephants on Parade" ; as it might upset recovering alcoholics? This is one of the very-few Disney Entertainments where a villain doesn't fall to a horrible death or is destroyed at the film's climax. Think about that!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the most successful and best fantasy films of all time
21 May 2019
A recent Yahoo article stated that my VHS green laser-stamped copy might be worth $2000? How silly! Dozens of VHS copies are currently on the Internet for under $20! 75 million copies were sold the first year and mine shows only a slight amount of wear. Disc copies, likewise, are under $20. I have an original VHS release which shows the doctors wearing guns, not CGI replaced Walkie-Talkies . A great fantasy with so many terrific performances. Drew Barrymore is the best. E.T. camouflaged in the closet with the other stuffed toys is my favorite scene, or is it flying on a bicycle over the moon, on the final parting ("I'll be right here"). I can't decide. Reese's Pieces were used to follow the trail in the woods and M&M-Mars regrets it to this day. Magical, mild and wonderful to behold. I can't wait to show it to my grand-kids who have never seen it!

Note: Most clam-shell Disney VHS tapes are worth about $20 and some might be worth $100 at the most.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing. A cute, but not great movie
19 May 2019
In 1939, Fox made a huge Technicolor "bomb" called "The Bluebird" wherein Shirley Temple searches for the Bluebird of Happiness. It's a jumbled mess involving dead grandparents and children growing up while waiting to be called to Earth to be born. Here we have 2 well-meaning but inept angels played by Clifton Webb (Mr. Belvedere) and Edmund Gwenn ("Kris Kringle"from Miracle on 34th St.) There seems to be very little chemistry between them. I did not find Mr. Webb funny as funny as other viewers did, and he makes a terrible fake Western Cowboy. There are 2 cute items He remarks "These high heels (western boots) are killing me" and he plays a "jazzy-style" harp. A great cast: Joan Blondell, Joan Bennett, Bob Cummings, and more, can't give this angelic film it's wings. Add to that, 2 young children, (under age 10) waiting for their parents to give them life. Plodding and very cliche. You have seen and heard this all done better, before. A one-time viewing, in my opinion. I did not like it as much as I really wanted to.
Nine Lives (I) (2016)
Sligtly better than the recent glut of "dogs have a purpose" movies
12 May 2019
However, for a outstanding cat movie, look for Disney's "The 3 Lives of Tomasina (1963). Similar to "Just Like Heaven" wherein Reese Witherspoon's soul is trapped as a ghost outside her comatose body, this version has a corporate CEO (Kevin Spacey) trapped in a cat's body, "Mr. Fuzzypants". (The alternate Australian Title.) Not well-explained is why or how the creepy pet shop owner (Christopher Walken) snatches the "spirit" from certain death. It must be a curse, as the poor man must "repent" or stay a cat forever, while his human body remains in a coma. Similar to "Just Live Heaven" as so many people are itching to "pull-the-plug". This is troubling, as he tries desperately to communicate to several people, including his 2nd wife and young daughter, that he is not dead! Some unneeded "potty" humor. What saves this movie for me is the extraordinary CGI and cat behaviors. Therefore, just "purrfect" for cable viewing. Great cast in an unoriginal script. Little kids might like it because the cat is so good! Bombed in the USA but made money overseas. Go figure?
State Fair (1945)
The best version of all three films
5 May 2019
I don't like the 1960's remake because Pat Boone is such a terrible actor and spoils anything he appears in. (My opinion.) I will have to revisit that version again, as I didn't realize that Ann-Margret was in it. The 1945 version hits the ground running with "Our State Fair is a Great State Fair" and is non-stop entertainment. Sure it's corny by today's standards, but who cares. "It might as well be Spring" is a great show-stopper of a song. As is "It's a grand night for singing". The color cinematography is breathtaking. Great fun for all, farm animals and mince pie included! The only musical R & H ever wrote for the screen directly ("Cinderella" is the only musical they wrote for TV.) very enjoyable!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bless This Mess: Pilot (2019)
Season 1, Episode 1
Green Acres Well-Updated
2 May 2019
Time calls it "A promising sit-com" and it may just be the first successful mid-season replacement of Spring 2019. Almost like "Green Acres," the wife gives up her NYC City Life to move to her husband's farm. It's in Nebraska. Many quirky neighbors. The only black cast member is the sheriff and general store owner, Connie (Pam Grier). Ed Begley Jr. plays their house-guest who lives in their barn with his two "pets", a screaming goat and a chicken he named after his ex-wife. Instead of Mr. Haney, their obnoxious neighbors want to buy the old farmhouse and land to turn it into a slaughter house. In the pilot, the old "gags" from the old 1930's movie "George Washington Slept Here" are used, as the floor and the roof both cave in. By the 3rd episode, everything happens to the Shepard's, including chickens that turn into "pets" so they can't kill them for personal use and the market. Extreme "friskiness" in the Bowman's barn, which gets the prize bull all riled up so he mates with all the cows. To compensate for this, they have to give their ancient tractor away. As we end episode 3, they just realize that eggs can be a source of income! Nice and cute (and I mean that in a good way). The major crime in town is a suspected theft of Rudy's red licorice! Only 7 episodes were made, and already renewed for season 2! The "burning" questions are this 1. What do you do with 400 eggs without refrigeration or pasteurization? plus a huge "gaggle" of "pet" chickens? 2. Is it a wonder they couldn't sell any eggs at the farmer's market? I would expect most of the townspeople "grow" their own eggs. and how can you sell eggs next to the the "Porta-Johns"?

Easter Egg: Rio takes a bath "a la Petticoat Junction" in an outdoor wooden tub? All too much fun!
A Nice Twist on your Typical Hollywood Ghost Story
29 April 2019
It's a fantasy. I personally love a good ghost story, plus I have a fascination for pretty petite females. I also own "Legally Blonde 1 and 2" and "Election", all starring Reese. Mark Ruffalo and Reese seem to have good on-screen chemistry and the dialog is well-written and clever. Enjoyable to watch with a totally illogical happy ending, starring a rooftop garden (perhaps) stolen from Barbra Streisand's "On a Clear Day..." Recommended by even Roger Ebert! Good fun.
Alpha (2018)
Boy Meets Wolf. Great photography but seems familiar
27 April 2019
Billed as the first contact between man and canine? A fake language with subtitles? Either the best canine (wolf) performance I have ever seen, but how much of it was CGI enhanced? A "prehistoric tribe" hunting Bison loses their Alpha Leader's son as he falls off a cliff with maybe a 100 ft. drop or worse. The story is about how he eventually finds his way home with the help of an injured Alpha Wolf. Two things are not well-explained: (1) How he manages to get back up that cliff, and (2) How does he find his way home with very few landmarks through a raving Winter landscape. (Prehistoric GPS?) Interesting to view once, with great cinematography and point-of-view imagery. The story itself seemed simplified and somewhat predictable but the ending has a great "twist". (Hint: Alpha-Wolf is a female.)

PG rating: It shows the killing of animals for food, but avoids most of the gore except one small animal is eaten raw. (Yum!) PETA unhappy that 5 Bison were killed. (This film may be edited for broadcast.) The Wolf "actor" is named "Chuck". Much CGI and puppetry also used.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The CGI is Great But the Whole Thing Just Falls Flat
22 April 2019
Insert plagues here then return us to a long, drawn-out version of what should be an epic story. Alas, filmmaker Riddley Scott lays an egg. Portraying the image of God as an 11 year-old child? No pillars of fire? The only worthwhile changes involve Moses' love for his wife and his adopted brother, Ramses II. Like "Scrooge" this story has been filmed many times before. The only two versions I like are the 1956 De Mille extravaganza and Dreamwork's animated "Prince of Eqypt." Can you say different?
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thought Provoking although Imperfect.
21 April 2019
There are statistics in the movie regarding violence in the USA v Canada that are manipulative. Not so much about Columbine as about the gun violence and murder in America. The title refers to first prize of a firearm in a bowling tournament. It's about the fascination with guns that Americans seem to have. Please note that, in Canada, sidearms and pistols are generally not legal for the civilian population. It should be shown to bullied youth who may have the fantasy of wiping out their bullies. No one has even gotten away with it. The perpetrators usually end up dead or jailed for life. Many low ratings for this film, probably from gun enthusiasts or NRA members? Watch it yourself and draw your own conclusions. It perhaps sacrifices total accuracy for entertainment value.
Not Understood by "Young People" and Not a Madcap Comedy
20 April 2019
The "Alice's Restaurant " song and monologue only occupy a minor part of the film. That sequence stars the real "Officer Obie" and the blind judge who presided over the littering trial. (Seeing-eye dog included.) At my draft board physical, we all walked around naked with our underwear in a paper bag, but that doesn't play well, does it? Eccentrically "a slice of life" showing the "Hippie Movement" of the 1960's with various untruths and facts. Arlo's dad Woody did die of Huntington's Disease. (Woody never got it.) Arlo was never thrown through a plate glass bar window. Alice and Ray did own both a former church and a one-time successful restaurant. Other parts of the movie are either fictional, or happened to others, much as the stories on such shows as "M*A*S*H. By the way, Arlo wasn't rejected by the Army because of the "sins" of his garbage, but because his conduct was suspect. His file really was sent off to the F.B.I. Best enjoyed by older people such as myself, who lived through the era, and might have had long hair and bell bottom pants. The folk music performed in the film is both outstanding and haunting, and for that I give it an 8 instead of a 7.
Venom (2018)
Violent and Gory-I Didn't like it very much
18 April 2019
Like "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers," Venoms are everywhere, even inside cute puppy dogs and adorable blond-haired little girls. Apparently, human brains are delicious. Also, there is one "nice" Venom symbiotic and hundreds of nastier ones, and everyone wants to invade Earth for dinner! Noisy and very busy CGI with Venom v. Venom for what seems like hours but is only about 20 minutes. An impossible motorcycle chase with Venom driving is quite good but also too long. It borders on being a sick, monstrous horror movie or an anti-superhero "fun-fest" with one or 2 sexy female "She-Venoms" as well. Like the good vampire that only drinks refrigerated blood, one of the Venoms tries to only eat the brains of really bad people and clean up The Hood. Exhausting to watch and therefore I didn't really enjoy it that much. It made a ton of money, so expect Venom 2 in 2020. (Not for me.) Watch for 2 very good "Easter Eggs" hiding in the painfully long closing titles
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Supergirl: All About Eve (2019)
Season 4, Episode 17
Worthy of a movie sequel!
2 April 2019
There is so much going on in the episode that it begs for spoilers, but I won't do it. After the foolishness of the snake villain "Menagerie" finally a story I can sink my teeth into! To be fair, Supergirl's doppelganger isn't intentionally mean or evil, just totally misguided by Lex Luthor. The deadly carnage this "Red Daughter" creates isn't really her fault. By the comics code, however, her doppelganger must die! Kyptonite in colorful forms has always been a great story-line for Superman movies, (Remember Superman III) Although red Kyptonite is usually the evilest kind? The evil twin will no doubt disappear or be reabsorbed. Miss Tessmacher is delishiously evil as well.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Devil of a good time for Claude Rains
30 March 2019
Written by the same author as "Here Comes Mr. Jordan" and filmed about 5 years after it. This time Claude Rains is "Nick, The Devil" instead of a saintly angel. Once again we are dealing with a soul without a proper body but this time there is evil and malice in the air. A sterling cast with Claude Rains as The Devil, Paul Muni as "Eddie" as both the murderous "dead" gangster, and the honest Judge Parker. Anne Baxter as the beautiful and virtuous judge's fiance. The judge is a perfect "doppelganger" for the criminal and "Nick" intends to ruin the judge and allow Eddie to get his revenge by killing his murderer. As always, love gets in the way and instead Eddie starts to turn into a real nice guy. A delicious and memorable performance by all and especially by Claude Rains. Alas, not quite as memorable as "Here Comes Mr. Jordan," and a rather cliche plot by today's standards. Watch for it on TCM.
Constance Wu is an Asian "Banana"? Beautiful Photography
24 March 2019
Many Asian stereotypes are shattered and Rachel (Constance Wu) is accused of being a gold-digging "banana" from America! (Yellow on the outside and white in the middle.) This would be be like a typical cable lovesick "dramedy" if not for the richly portrayed characters and totally over-the-top scenery and locations in Singapore and Malaysia. The first half of the movie is a knock-out until it comes out that Rachel, a highly intelligent economics professor, is the result of her mother's love affair in China. Something that Rachel knew nothing about. Rachel also gets the "Mean Girls" treatment from her fiance's family and friends. A bloody fish instead of a horse's head, with cruel things written on the bedroom mirror. A curiously incomplete wedding scene with a beautiful rendition of the old Elvis hit "Can't help Falling in Love with you" but very few words from the minister. Probably perceived as a woman's movie as it shows a lot of male torsos. A party scene with beauty queens is almost cut out of the movie! A great soundtrack with many familiar songs sung in "Chinese" as well as English. It wraps up like a typical Hallmark-type film as all is well in the end, for the most part. A very good rental or "Netflix" choice, although I do not deem it necessary to purchase for repeated viewing. Women might feel differently. I recommend the "Roger Ebert Co." review for more precise details.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Teen Witch (1989)
Cute but unoriginal "Sabrina" type movie
7 March 2019
Barely released and probably went straight to video or cable after that? Borrows bits and pieces shamelessly from such far better films such as "Grease" and "Mean Girls". Even mentions "Punky Brewster" of all things. Maybe it would have been better with a talking cat? However, It features that very charismatic 4 ft. 3 inch "medium" from the Poltergeist Series of films. Red-headed "Louise", however, is far too pretty and tall to portray a real "geek" although she is dressed-down in shapeless sweaters and long skirts, at first. Harmless witchcraft fun and teenage romance although the "voodoo doll" is a bit troubling. Her annoying blind date disappears from his car but we are assured he is O.K. although he is not seen again in the movie (?) The locker room girls do a "sexy cheerleading dance" but it's quite modest by today's standards. Although otherwise implied, only flirting, kissing and hugging is shown. Look for comedian Shelly Berman as the very annoying English teacher that gets what he deserves! Worth one view, perhaps.
Disappointingly Unfunny with a Great Cast
4 March 2019
Charlie the playboy Hollywood producer gets shot by Leopold (Walter Mathau) after he is found making love to Rusty, Leopold's wife. He falls off the yacht into the water and come back reincarnated as a beautiful blonde, well-played by Debbie Reynolds. She is picked up on the beach near Malibu, wearing nothing, by a millionaire playboy played by Pat Boone, of all people. She instructs him to take her back to Charlie's mansion where a bewildered Tony Curtis is staying, as the executor of the bankrupt estate. After a rather long discourse, Charlie finally convinces him that he is truly been reincarnated as a "girl". Oddly, the word woman never comes up in the story. So follows the usual "fish-out-of-water" scenario as she plies her newfound feminine "powers" of seduction and blackmail on Charlie's lovers, all over town. The killer gets off because the body is never found, but a detective assigned to the case comes very close. Cute ending involving a Great Dane named "Charlie". By now, a familiar plot that has been "borrowed" several times by other films. Directed by Vincent Minnelli; it should have been funnier. Some dialog and scenes seem to go on far too long. Now shown on cable "letterboxed" as it should be.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alice in Wonderland (1985 TV Movie)
Very Ambitious almost forgotten"Remake" of a Popular Fantasy Theme
3 March 2019
The most remade tittle to date remains "A Christmas Carol" for all time. However "Alice" in it's various forms has been live action, animated, "DIsneyfied " and then there's the 2 Johnny Depp/ Tim Burton versions which are in a class by themselves. In 1933, Paramount made a star-studded version with W.C . Fields as Humpty Dumpty and then there is this 1985 version with dozens of cameos, Red Buttons as the White Rabbit and Sammy Davis Jr. as the caterpillar, to name a few. Even Sid Caesar! Perhaps best viewed on DVD as the whole thing is 3 hours long. The Jabberwocky is truly frightening to little children. Mostly pleasant songs by Steve Allen. Does it even still run on cable at all?
Life Stinks (1991)
For Brooks fans. A good but not great fable
23 February 2019
Reminds me of other similar films. Quite thoughtful but rather lazily told. There should have been more to the story with more characters on the street. Shot near the infamous Las Angeles canal used time and time again as a chase scene and in "Grease's drag race. Lesley Ann Warren (who is an often-unappreciated actress) gives a great performance as "Molly" the homeless dancer. A great dance number, and who knew that Mel Brooks could dance? Howard Morris plays "Sailor" who meets a sad end due to exposure. Some tasteless performances by Stuart Pankin (the unscrupulous lawyer) and Jeffrey Tambor (the boorish tycoon). Dueling "Cat Dinosaurs" at the construction site with T-Rex sounds lighten up the climax. The ending is cute but unrealistic to say the least, as are many Mel Brooks films. It's nice to see the short, average guy get the pretty girl. Entertaining, but not Brooks' best.