Reviews

A pioneer of slasher films with lousy hair teen boys. FT13 owes this film big time.
12 April 2019
I first saw this in the early 80s on a vhs. Revisited it recently. This is truly the pioneer of slasher films. Friday the 13th copied two scenes: face slamming with a machete/billhook and a couple's sandwich death scene with a spear.

A countess is strangled to death by her husband n later the husband is stabbed to death by an unseen killer. We have a daughter n her husband, an illegitimate son, a real estate agent n his girlfriend, a wierd entomologist n his even more wierdly dressed wife, all as suspects. Throw in some lousy hair teens n their girlfriends for nudity n body count. The film has ample body counts with solid effects, a nasty decapitation n a small shocking twist for that time. It has beautiful females, a bond girl, lil nudity but lousy sex scene, lousy hair teen boys, grey haired males n a very odd scene of a shotgun. As a master cinematographer, Bava succeeded in camera tricks to convince us that the film takes place near a forest but his tracking shots due to budget constraints were lousy.

In a shotgun with a double trigger, it is often possible to pull both triggers at once, firing both barrels simultaneously but it doubles the recoil, battering both shotgun and shooter n what if the shooter is a child?
Triple Threat (2019)
Boyka, God has given u a gift, only one. U r a complete fighter but pls avoid movies like these. Same goes for Iko Uwais n Michael Jai White.
9 April 2019
What a disappointment man. The script is atrocious n the character development is nada. The direction is lol. During a major shootout, a girl runs away like a piece of cake n while running away we see ppl in the background doing their routine stuff as if they r deaf n blind to the commotion of the shootout.

Anyways, fellas like me may not care about acting, script, direction or character development if it's an action film provided ther is tons of bone shattering, jaw breaking, brutal fight choreography but this lousy film has nothing redeeming inspite of some of my favorites like Scott Adkins, Michael Jai White n Iko Uwais. What a waste of talent man. O boy, we even have Tony Jaa, Tiger Hu Chen n Michael Bisping but again a total wastage of action heroes.

The film starts with a non stop gun action sequence but not at all memorable or intense. In the beginning, ther is a small duel between Iko Uwais n Tony Jaa which raises audiences' expectations but believe me it turns out to b duds. Ther is a muay thai ring fight but again nothing impactful. The duel between Iko Uwais n Michael Jai White is lousy. Jai White needs to lose some weight man.

Seeing Uwais without Silat n knife fight n Jai White without his 360 n 720 kicks is cheating man. Both Uwais n White is totally wasted. In fact in both of their last films, they did pretty good. Uwais in Mile 22 n Jai White in Dragged across the street.... We have Tony Jaa who is looking old n tired with a lousy hairstyle. Tony Jaa without his parkour is wasted. Now we have my fav Scott Adkins who is given a meaty footage but his fight with Jaa ain't impactful. Come on give us some Boyka action man. Tiger Hu Chen really needs a good barber. Lousy babycut hairstyle.

The film has lots of kicks, punches, fights n gun shot sequences but none of it impactful or memorable. Ther is a scene of a gun blasting a body into mincemeat. That's it.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wendigo (2001)
Wendigo means evil that devours n this film will definitely devour ur precious time.
5 April 2019
The story is about a man who along with his wife n son takes a weekend off n head to an isolated house to cut off from the city n work life stress. On the way, the man hits a deer who was running away from some hunters. After being towed n reaching the house, the man notices bullet stuck in the wall n a hole in the window. The next morning the family goes to a store where the boy is given an idol of wendigo, a so called creature by a Red Indian...... This film is utterly boring. Nothing happens. Most of the scenes r shot in the dark n to add to the turmoil, the shaky cam stuff is even more irritating. Ther is zero kills, no gore, tension n suspense is lacking n forget bah the lousy sex scene with nada nudity. Generous with 5 cos of decent acting n a lil eerie atmosphere. Saw this recently for the first time.
Sublime (2007 Video)
If u spend ur whole life worrying then the only way that ur life will hav meaning is if what ur fear becomes real...
29 March 2019
This film had potential but it is tedious n very predictable. A family man admits himself to a hospital for a routine test. A nite before his hospital admission, he is celebrating his fortieth birthday wher he n his pals discuss about iatrogenic illness. Later we come to know that his stay in the hospital gonna be long cos of some serious medical negligence. This film is more like a low budget Jacob's Ladder. Tension n suspense ain't present, zero kills, a lousy sex scene n it gets a bit tedious towards the end. Mentioning the film Jacob's Ladder may be spoilers for some. Saw this few days back on a dvd which I own. It had been inside my drawer for almost a decade. Wasn't getting the excitement after reading the name Jacob's Ladder in the review section.
Rituals (1977)
Like Southern Comfort, comparison to Deliverance is inevitable but trust me this is a different horror film....
29 March 2019
In Deliverance, a group of civilians r degraded n hunted by hillbillies but here a group of docs r hunted by an ex army veteran who is angry with doctors n the medical system. The beauty of nature, especially the river n the woods r captured well in both. Deliverance was more on deforestation n degradation about nature while this film is more about medical malpractices n PTSD.

The plot - A group of doctors go on a camping trip in the deep forests. There they have fun. They brag about each other's fields n at the same time their conversations revolve mostly around medical malpractices, unethical surgeries n they even mock patients except for Harry (Hal Holbrook). Unaware to em, a stalker has been hearing their conversations. Now the place they had gone is in the middle of nowhere according to their pilot who dropped em earlier. So it seems our stalker might not b jus another ordinary citizen. Later the doctors realize that their boots r stolen n someone has left a deer carcass on a stick with a snake around it, the symbol similar to the Staff of Aesculapius, the symbol for the American Medical Association. So this confirms us that the stalker is aware of the doctor's history from overhearing their conversations. The stalker leaves x-ray taken from a military hospital, medals n discharge papers, a message meant for doctors with callous attitudes regarding their trade. The doctors soon realise they r being hunted by an ex army person who first wants to degrade em before killing em but our Harry, a war veteran himself, won't let the madman enjoy their degradation.

The film has a nasty bear trap n a cauterization scene. The gun shot scene chopping the arm from the wrist is gory but the most horrific n gruesome is Mitzi's death scene who's line, "Leave us alone u **tard" is a bit comedic. How can u expect a madman to leave u alone after he has killed ur friends.

First saw this in the 80s on a vhs. Revisited it recently.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Leprechaun Returns (2018 TV Movie)
Diddley diddley dee, ol skool leprechaun is back. The frontal/coronal plane body slicing scene is gory n not for the squeamish.
28 March 2019
This film takes place 25 years after the event of the first film n therefore this is the original sequel. It also explains the whereabouts of the gold n how the Leprechaun returns. Makes more sense than all the other sequels. A group of students decide to spend their summer vacation turning the house (into some eco friendly project) of Tory Reding (Jennifer Aniston), now dead. One of the student is Tory's daughter. The small boy, his elder brother n Tory's father ain't present in this sequel but we hav Ozzie (the guy who swallowed the coin in the original). The sequels never explained what happened to him n the missing coin.

This is no doubt a worthy sequel n much much better than the awful 2014's Leprechaun Origins. The guy who played the leprechaun in this film did a nice job but Warwick Davis will always be remembered.

The rhyming jokes r back, the kills r gory n once again the film is set in proper daylight, shaky stuff n darkly shot scenes r avoided. Ther is one frontal/coronal plane body slicing scene, two decapitations, one decapitation with head smashing, tap rod mouth blasting scene, etc.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The pacing of the film is well complimented with engaging chat, strong development of characters n a sense of brooding dread with a solid showdown.
27 March 2019
As a fan of Zahler, this film was on my watchlist. Hav njoyed Asylum Blackout n loved Bone Tomahawk. Yet to c the new Puppetmaster n Brawl in Cell Block... Like Tomahawk, this film is also slow but not at all boring. The dialogues r good, the character development is brilliant n the acting is top notch. With Gibson n Vaughn, who can doubt acting. The pacing of the film is complimented with engaging chat, strong development of characters n a sense of brooding dread. Before diving into the brutality n shocking violent showdown, we r given solid tension n witty one liners. Not on par with Bone Tomahawk but still a good one time watch.
7 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jesse James (1939)
After watching The Iron Horse I thot that the railroad was a back breaking work but aft reading bah Jesse James n seeing this film, my perception changed...
25 March 2019
Railroad frontman forces farmers to give up the land for the railroad for dirt cheap. Some sell off easily while the ones who resist r dealt with force. The frontman tries to force a reluctant old woman into selling, until her sons, Jesse (Tyrone Power) n Frank James (Henry Fonda) gets involved. Jesse shoots the frontman in the hand, in self-defence. When arrest warrants are issued for Frank n Jesse, Zee Cobb (Nancy Kelly), Jesse's lover, quickly comes to tell them to leave. The frontman visits their house with warrants n ask em to surrender but even aft repeated assurance by Rufus Cobb (Henry Hull), an editor, that the brothers r not inside the house n only their sick mother is alone, the frontman throws in fire lamps inside the house n eventually it causes the death of the old woman. Jesse kills the frontman in revenge. This begins Frank and Jesse's career as outlaws. This movie has more romantic angle to it with less focus in the shootouts but it is not a bad movie. The last few mins r filled with tension n suspense before the coward shoots Jesse in the back. This ain't any spoiler as everyone is aware of that. As an audience I was rooting for Jesse n wanted him to b more careful towards the end. First saw this in the early 90s on a vhs. Revisited it recently.
Badla (2019)
Even aft watching the original in 2017, i got pulled into seeing this cos of two reasons.
22 March 2019
After having already seen The Invisible Guest in 2017 n having posted a review of it, two things really pulled me into seeing this official remake : the top notch cinematography n Mr. Bachan. The trailer looked as if they did more expenditure compared to the original n the movie proved it.

The plot is the same but with a small change, in the original, a businessman stands accused of murdering his lover as he was found with the lover's dead body in a locked hotel room. But in this case they made a businesswoman an accused.

The London locations r awesome, the marshland and woodlands of the rural area is picturesque. The spooky hotel a la The Shining in the middle of nowhere really stands out.

Another good aspect is that there r no songs n dance, no hero bashing goons matrix style, no jingoism, no six packs, etc.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dolls (1987)
The only time u turn ur back on a child is for them to hop on...
22 March 2019
A group of people take refuge in a castle during a thunderstorm. It seems that the castle has some magical powers which stops cars, especially of bad parents, makim the tyres stuck in the mud. The elderly couple r very hospitable with the food n accomodation but their castle is packed with dolls. The dolls come alive n kill bad adults in gruesome ways. They do take time to decide whether to spare an adult who is more childlike. The ending is a shocking revelation about the identities of the dolls. This film came before Childs Play n Puppet Master. First saw this in the late 80s on a vhs. Revisited it recently.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The title shudda been The showdown at the windy village or the boy with strong observing n memory power.
21 March 2019
A small boy Bill (John Phillip Law) witnesses the extermination of his entire family by a gang. But our boy succeeded in memorizing all the signs n symbols of the culprits so that he can exact revenge. Maybe Liam Neeson from Taken taught him that. One has a tattoo of four aces on his chest, another a scar, one a distinctive earring, one a chain with a skull pendant n one fella's mean face was visible. 15 years later n all the fellas r still carrying on with the same signs n symbols but in the meantime our boy has grown into a man with solid gun practice n has a penchant for toothpicks. A gunfighter named Ryan (Van Cleef), recently released from a prison aft serving 15 years wants to track down the same gang which Bill is after. We r never shown how n why Cleef's character got betrayed by his gang. The climax scene is shot in a Mexican village wher the wind storm seems to happen only around a small compound. Even during the entire shootout, the wind storm is present n the moment the shootout ends, the storm stops. What happens to the men from the village is never explained cos suddenly everyone disappears n we have only Phillip Law n a shirtless Van Cleef fighting off the entire gang.

There is a scene where the fella who is wearing the earring is shown facing forward n when he removes the hat he faces sideways as if he purposely did that to show his earring. Ther is action but no impactful shootout or showdown but the innovative torture method of burryin alive from the neck down n then thrusting salt in the mouth n keeping the water bowl in front of the head in the scorching sun is brutal. I first saw this in the 90s on a vhs. Revisited it few days back.
Kesari (2019)
Abysmal screenplay n atrocious acting filled with too much melodrama, awful cgi, cartoonish action sequences....
21 March 2019
How can u make a film on true events n fill it up with gravity defying cartoonish action sequences, plagiarise 300 n sum it up with awful acting n atrocious screenplay.

Thank God, my friend paid the money to see it as it was a holi treat. He was under the influence of Bhang (cannabis) n he was laughing the entire time, even during scenes of over the top melodrama. I can understand the lol moments during the cartoonish action sequences.

Well for me it was a complete waste of three hours of my life. Agree, the comedic action scenes made me laugh but that cant save a disaster like this. The film is loaded with too much melodrama, unnecessary songs n bad acting. After being in the industry for almost three decades, this actor Akshay cannot act man. He cudnt get inside the character too. His fake moustache n beard were so noticeable. Basically it is a poor man's 300 rip off but with atrocious cgi, laughable action sequences, bad acting n abysmal screenplay.
60 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very simple western potraying the importance of loyalty between men n about entering the Lord's house justified.
20 March 2019
After six miners r murdered trying to transport gold, Steve Judd (Joel McCrea), a respected n aged ex lawman is hired to guard a shipment of gold from a high country mining camp. He enlists the help of his old pal Westrum (Randolph Scott) n Westrum's young sidekick, unaware that the two enlisters are planning to steal the gold for themselves.

It is a very simple film with moral themes. Peckinpah always succeeded in potraying the theme of honor, ideals, right n wrong in an unjust world, the heroes of the west and the importance of loyalty between men. In fact this movie is an unofficial prequel to The Wild Bunch, regarding loyalty between men. The acting by both the leads is sober, the afternoon gunfight at the ranch isnt that violent compared to Peckinpah's other films but it is impactful. The exchange of Biblical quotes between Judd n the ranch owner is another highlight but the line uttered by Judd, 'All I want is to enter my house justified' is top notch. I first saw this in the mid 90s on a vhs. Revisited it recently.
Onibaba (1964)
War is indeed a true onibaba which feasts on humanity.
20 March 2019
In the endless fields of towering grass lives an ol woman n her daughter in law. The war has taken toll as most men r away n some killed. The war is driving people to desperation. Starvation n deprivation r at the peak. The two women earn a living by killing lost soldiers n selling off the belongings. They do have advantage of the territory, desperation and a big hole. Sometimes they kill dogs n eat their meat. They give a flying *uck abou PETA. They sleep naked inside their hut. The nudity is non voyeuristic as it used to display the extreme poverty n harsh climate. Of course, the women were not aware that sleeping naked keeps the body temperature cool n sleeping overheated makes the cortisol levels high, even after waking up.

Everything was routine for these isolated women until their neighbor returns home from war. He conveys the old hag about his son's death. The ol hag gets worried being deserted when the neighbor starts seducing the daughter in law. But our ol hag forgot about the two basic needs, sex n food. The ol hag first tries convincing the daughter in law into chastity by telling her about hell n the torment in the after life. Later she wears a mask n frightens the daughter in law to keep away from the neighbor but things turn ugly.....

Some may find the film slow but the character development is great, the dialogues r minimum but the facial expressions n the acts of desperation is portrayed very well. The best part about the film is the black n white cinematography, very atmospheric n surrealistic. The killings r brutal, u can see from the facial expressions of the two ladies who doesn't hesitate a bit in striking. The towering creepy reeds r characters themselves. The background n title music, especially the drum beats is top notch. I first saw this in the early 90s on a vhs. Revisited it recently. This film depicted the theme of anti war in a good solid way.
Milan Talkies (2019)
It deserves a 7 cos of the solid direction, script n acting but I am generous with 10......
17 March 2019
So that more indie films like these r made in Bollywood compared to the awful ones like Simbba, etc. which r churned left right n center. The first half is a light hearted romantic drama, well acted by Ali. The second half changes into a very serious tone. The songs r unnecessary but it is the screenplay which holds ur attention. The plot is about a filmmaker who falls in love with a girl but the girl's family turns out to be psychos on the loose.

As a fan of the director since Paan Singh Tomar, I look forward to his films.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A dark n clever script aided by good performances, amazing music, aesthetically pleasing landscapes n solid showdown.
15 March 2019
Corbett (Van Cleef), an ex sheriff, ex casino owner cum bounty hunter n now having the ambition to run for the Senate, is famous in Texas for cleaning out the whole area of outlaws. He is given an assurance in campaign funding by a railway tycoon in exchange for catching Cuchillo (Tomas Milian), a rape n murder accused. What ensues is a manhunt thru the rugged landscapes wher the hunted is a machiavellian person but with moral codes.

The film begins n ends with the song Run Man Run which is packed with powerful lines n amazing music. Morricone's music n the aesthetically pleasing landscapes r characters themselves n add to it Lee Van Cleef's towering screen presence. In the film he is shown as a man of relentless energy and boundless ambition. The screenplay is awesome n inspite of its dark story, it has sufficient humor n action going on n has two solid showdowns with amazin music. The end chase is psychologically tensed as we c Cuchillo running thru the cane bushes with dogs, mercenaries n the baron hunting him like an animal. The baron is intimidating with his looks n the Beethoven's 'Für Elise' on the piano by him makes him appear more sinister. Milian's character in the beginning title credit is shown doing a karate pose n viewer will dig it during the final shootout. I first saw this in the 90s on a vhs. Revisited it recently on a blu ray.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Try as they will , try as they might, who cheats me with a fake Leprechaun won't live thru the nite.
15 March 2019
You cant take a poor version of Descent-like creature n call it a Leprechaun. Wher is the hat, clothes, shining boots n above all the rhyming jokes? N what's the obsession with the irritating roars/growls? The film starts with the same ol stuff, a couple running away from something which makes irritating noise. The camera work is tedious n we dont get to c anything. Cut the scene n we get to c highly educated tourists who r lured into the deeper woods by a local, claiming to show em some historical stuff. Ther is some tension n gory stuff but the shaky cam stuff combined with the nite scenes n unnecessary loud noises as if some lame lion roaring, makes it an awful experience. This film ain't worthy of being called the origins of Leprechaun. One scene is a bit reminiscent of Anthropophagus aka Grim Reaper n Cottage. We have one axe n another decapitation scene but still a lousy film.

The original Leprechaun's cinematography was top notch. It was set in the dry sunlight settings n even the nite scenes were well shot but in this case the scenes r short in the dark n the pov of the creature n its noise is very very irritating. In fact the scene before the end credit with the growl sound is unendurable. O boy, the end credit lasts for twelve mins with the cam jus lingering on farm tools n then zap, once again the horrible growl. The first three parts of Leprechaun were awesome cos of the humor.

Ther was an ol fugazi leprechaun, whose balls were made of fine brass. So in stormy weather they'd cland together n sparks wud fly out of his ass.

Try as they will , try as they might, who cheats me with a fugazi Leprechaun won't live thru the nite.

Diddley diddley dee I'm a fake leprechaun me.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
13 Cameras (2015)
Poor man's Michael Berryman tryin to be peeping Tom and an all rounder.
15 March 2019
The film starts with the stats on surveillance cam's usage n its abuse tryin to scare us all. A newly wed couple rents a house n before they move in, we r introduced to the landlord who is busy fixing hidden cameras all over the house including the bedroom n bathroom. So basically our landlord is a creepy n despicable peeping Tom, well built, doesn't speak too much, stares a lot n looks more like Michael Berryman. Somehow he manages to do all the plumbing, wiring, putting sound proof doors, drilling, moving unconscious people, disposing bodies n cars, n baby delivery too, that too with a limping leg n the body of an ol bodybuilder filled with water retention n body fat. The expression on his face when he can't get the full view of the naked lady is solid acting but then in the entire film he kept the same look. Sleep tight (2011) is a better creepy film than this. It has shades of Captivity, Vacancy n Sleep Tight but nowhere as good as the ones mentioned. Ther is too much of implausibility. The landlord sneaks in n out repeatedly, the husband swims around, takes a shower, eats Italian food n sex with his girlfriend comfortably at his own house without the fear of getting caught, inspite of knowing there is a hidden room inside the house, no action or anything done, etc. There is some tension but the lack of budget is clearly visible n the film suffers from bad acting n tedious editing.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A family entertainment with sufficient laughs.
10 March 2019
I saw this with my teen kids n 6 year ol nephew. This is a very clean family entertainment with enuff laughs n family moments. Honestly I got pulled into seeing this only cos of Wahlberg n Byrne. The film is based on a true story about a married couple who adopts three kids n one being a teen, parenting becomes difficult.

All parents love to c their teens transition into a happy, successful young adults n the job ain't easy but if u have somebody like grandma Sandy (Margo Martindale) then it helps.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Grandpa's fav film who was a bodybuilder, which goes on to prove that this film is indeed a testosterone filled action xtravaganza n one of my personal fav too.
10 March 2019
Is Posey (Clint Walker) still missing in action?

Til date I have not been able to figure out what happened to the character of Samson Posey (Clint Walker). During the mission at the crossroad Donald Duck site, we get to c his partner Bravos but not Posey.

I first saw this in the mid 80s on a vhs, then on a vcd in the early 2000. Revisited it recently on a dvd which I own. I dont know y i never get tired of these old films.

Major Reisman (Marvin) is assigned a top-secret mission to train army's twelve worst convicts and turn them into elite soldiers to infiltrate and assault on a castle which will be filled up with high-ranking German officers. (Tarantino took the theatre filled up with the nazis in Inglorious Basterds). The castle's destruction will weaken the enemies' chain of command before D-Day. Those who survive the mission will be pardoned and returned to active duty at their former ranks.

The film has plenty of laughs n get to know characters moment before the action starts. Some may complain that the training n introduction part is given more emphasis than the actual mission but then it would hav lost the charm n affection we feel for the suicide squad team members. Training n disciplining the twelve convicted men n making em learn how to operate as a group does takes time. The film has lots of action, explosions, gun firing, tension n body count. Editing is a bit weak considering the non elaborate death scenes. The direction n the ensemble cast is top notch. Ernest Borgnine, Charles Bronson, Jim Brown, John Cassavetes, Richard Jaeckel, George Kennedy, Robert Ryan, Robert Webber, Donald Sutherland, Telly Savalas as Maggott, the psychotic religious fanatic on the verge of insanity n Clint Walker as Samson Posey.

I expected some showdown between Posey n the nazis, where Posey single handedly kill the nazis.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the earliest n best survival thriller. The hand combat involving Jiu-jitsu is top notch.
8 March 2019
I first saw this in the mid 90s. Revisited it recently. This film still rocks man. The movie starts on a yacht where the captain is worried as the channel markers aren't in the right place n the ship is sailing through some of the most shark-infested waters in the world. He tells this to the rich customers n ask their permission to change the course but they decline n carry on their drinking. They ask Bob (Joel McCrea), a famous hunter and author but he is least worried. The ship crashes on a reef, some fellas die but Bob n two fellas survive the explosion n lands into the water. The two fellas r eaten by the shark (is this the first film to show shark attack?) Since Bob is the hero of the film, he manages to reach the shore n stumble upon a castle owned by Count Zaroff (Leslie Banks). In the castle Bob meets two more survivors from an earlier crash, Eve (Fay Wray) n Martin (Robert Armstrong). The Count, an avid hunter, tells em all that he got bored hunting animals n now he discovered a new animal to hunt. It doesn't take long for Bob n Eve to conclude that the Count was referring to mankind. Zaroff turns Bob n Eve loose in the woods with a knife and sets out to kill em.

This film will hold ur attention during all the interesting chit chat n once the action starts, it will keep u on the edge. The chase sequence, the initial boat explosion n shark attack, the booby traps, the hunting dogs, the menacing servants, the fog, the swamps, the crocodile, the waterfall, the isolated island, guns, bow n arrow, the speedboat, etc. It has everything to make it an action adventure film. In fact it has one of the earliest hand combat involving Jiu-jitsu. The acting n cinematography is top notch.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mediocre horror film aided by good acting.
7 March 2019
I first saw this in the 80s on a rented vhs. Revisited it few days back. The film is about a scientist (Paul Muller) who tortures his wife (Barbara Steele) n her lover after catchin em red handed with the aid of his old n haggard maid (Helga Liné, much more attractive than Steele). The torturous punishment is only an excuse. The real motif is to usurp's the wife's property n spend time with the maid who turns very young n attractive after a blood transfusion. Told ya. Things turn bad for the scientist as the wife informs him that she had made her step sister (Barabara Steele) the nominee of the property.....

The isolated castle with its huge rooms appeared eerie, the atmosphere towards the end with the rainfall n the acting were the only good aspects. The ending seemed rushed, the ghosts weren't spooky, there is implausibility which will make one scratch their head n the stupidity shown/done by a scientist is beyond belief.
The Isle (2018)
A tacky n lazy ghost aided by two lousy sirens. My earlier review which got fifty likes got deleted cos the fellas associated with this awful film cudnt digest my opinion.....
3 March 2019
Earlier I was a bit generous (3/10) with my ol review which got 50 likes. It got deleted without it containing any abusive, spoiler or nasty stuff. It must have pissed off the fellas associated with this awful film. This film has many fake reviews n ratings. Earlier I gave this film a three. 1 for decent cinematography, 1 for the hottie Alix Wilton Regan n 1 for the effort but now I am rating it a 1.

I saw this film without watching the trailer n without reading anything bah it. Sometimes I do this n if the film turns to b good then I rejoice but this film made me very irritated. It has bad acting, lousy effects, there is zero suspense n absolutely no tension. The editing is horrendous n the direction pathetic. The ghost in this film is laughable, awfully lazy, aided by two lousy sirens from the Greek mythology. Ther is a lousy n awful sex scene. Not of the hottie Alix Wilton Regan but of the director's real wife. The director tried to copy Gareth Evan's The Apostle but failed miserably.
42 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Did she deserve to die in the end?
2 March 2019
I first saw this in the late 80s on a vhs. It did creeped me out then. Revisited it recently. This film gave tough competition to A Nightmare on Elm Street when it first released but due to some controversy, it got pulled out. Five year ol Billy n his family visit his catatonic grandpop n while his parents were away in the doc's cabin, his grandpop awakens n tells Billy to be afraid of Santa as he punishes the one who r naughty. Mild trauma. On the way back home, the father stops the car seeing a person dressed as Santa asking for lift inspite of lil Billy asking the parents not to. The Santa clad criminal kills the parents as poor Billy witnesses all this while hiding. Solid mental trauma. Fast forward three years n Billy is shown in an orphanage run by a very strict nun Mother Superior who assaults Billy physically trying to make him behave in front of Santa clad fellas. Solid physical trauma. Sister Margaret sympathizes with him n tries to help Billy play with the other children, but Billy is constantly subject to Mother Superior's punishment. More trauma. Margaret at one point tells Sister Superior about Billy needing help but alas... Billy, now a grown, big-built lad works in a toy store. His boss requests him to dress as Santa n spend time wid the kids in the store. At the same time he keeps having memories of his parents' murders. The madness doesn't come out until sunset when Billy witnesses the manager sexually assaulting a female coworker. This finally, psychologically, triggers his insanity. Billy goes on a killing spree with an axe in his hand. The film has lots of kills, one of em of the topless Linnea Quigley who doesn't seem to get tired running around naked. Ther r two decapitations, one of em of the poor Snowman. The acting is dull but the atmosphere is ample with some decent cinematography.

For me Mother Superior was responsible for Billy's state. Rather than admitting him into a mental institution, she kept on assaulting him. Did she deserve to die in the end? I felt the ending was a bit rushed. I had seen all the sequels on the vhs but none of it is as good as this.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Häxan (1922)
This docu-like film is like a spell which transports viewers to the witch hunting era.
2 March 2019
I saw this for the first time recently. This is a must watch for horror fans. This film is like a spell which transports viewers to the witch hunting era. It tells about witchcraft through the early ages in Europe. It is very informative n educational docu-like film. The treatment of suspected witches (Somnambulists, kleptomaniacs, hysterical females, old n cripple ladies, etc) by the religious authorities of the time were the most barbaric. The direction is top notch, the atmosphere surreal, the film terrifying n the visuals very effective. The tools used to torture the helpless victims will make Jigsaw wriggle in agony. It has some comedic moments too, food made outta the corpses from the gallows, the witches thanking the devil by kissing their butt, soup made of frogs n snakes, medicines/spell from cat faeces n dove hearts, the pious greedy man, the poor witch eating with both hands, etc.