2,739 Reviews
Dai akutô (1968)
With something of Polizziotesco tradition
17 February 2019
Yes, you have read very well, this Japanese crime flick looks like an Italian one from the seventies; I mean a very macho like movie where women are treated like cattle, beaten like dogs, even whiplashed OK, Japanese films have the reputation to be mainly for men, but not at this scale, in this manner. Many nude scenes in this feature where it is question of a poor young woman kept prisoner in an apartment by pimps who search to take advantage of her with blackmail affairs. Sorry but I watched it without any subtitle, so it was not so easy for me to get most of the elements I need to bring something correct as a comment. I missed many things unfortunately. But it is not for all audiences. It is bleak, dark and depressing, as many Japanese stuff. I would also say that's more a drama looking like Daniel Duval's LA DEROBADE than a yakuza movie, a crime or even action flick.
Proud Mary (2018)
Female mechanic
16 February 2019
I thought about a sort of another version of Michael Winner's THE MECHANIC when I watched this movie. Just another version, not a remake of course. And also a kind of John Cassavettes' GLORIA too. Touching little B action feature, pulled by good action scenes and performances, for such a film I mean. And also a tribute to the seventies Blaxplotation fashion; only the opening music score. Pam Grier's shadow haunts in this drama, because that's also a drama, not only a simple minded action flick. If you Watch closely enough, you can catch some poignant sequences, such as this one of Tom - Danny Glover's hanchman - kissing his boss' forehead after his death. This female hired killer recognizing herself when she was his age in this Young boy is very Moving. Yes. Moving.Another important thing, you hane fo f..humour touch every five minutes, as you may expect for such movies.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Wild Wild West: The Night of the Raven (1966)
Season 2, Episode 3
Great episode, one more.
16 February 2019
This time, W W WEST show gives a tribute to another great movie: INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN. Later it will do the same for many other horror or sci-fi schemes: Zombies, Flying Saucers, Haunted Houses, Frankenstein, ONLY Vampires will never been tributes too. Nor we will never have the likes of Georges Sanders nor Vincent Price as heavies guests. They would have been so great bad guys for Jim West fight against. So shame. And Bela Lugosi was dead before the show even begins. so back to this episode, yes, this is among the best of the whole. I repeat, there are so many.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Only to correct my previous comment about this episode
15 February 2019
On my previous comment, I told that it was easier in W W WEST TV show to purchase the bad episodes than the good ones. Actually, what I meant is that there are sooo many highlights that it was so difficult to say which one was the best, AMONG those little masterpieces. But a bad episode, it's so easy to notice it. The same with a simple fly. It's easier to notice it drowning in a milk bowl than in a coffee one. See? That's what I meant folks. Sorry for the wrong writing.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Avengers: The Girl from Auntie (1966)
Season 4, Episode 17
Amusing episode
15 February 2019
Just one thing I want to add to the other comments. Besides it is interesting to have here Steed with a female sidekick else than Mrs Peel, I will also talk about Patrick McNee stunt doubler; even with a simple image of Steed grabbing a man from the back, from the rear, ONLY GRABBING HIM, this is NOT Patrick Mc Nee. he was certainly not Robert Conrad in WILD WILD WEST SHOW....
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Maybe among the less good.
15 February 2019
I don't say that's the worst, far from that - after all, can we name one worst episode in the amazing TV show? No, of course - but certainly not the best. It begins in the most interesting and delightful way, with all these characters stood still....But the following is classical, normal, a simple western scheme with a kind of sci-fi element; that's all folks. It could have been far better with such a primal idea.
A very touching story
14 February 2019
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS Or may I say what a very touching character this fat lady Kitty. Poor woman who dreamed to be at last pretty and who finally dies. I find this episode rather sad for this reason. One more hightlight in the series. But there are so many; it's far easier to purchase the bad épisodes that the good ones.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Wild Wild West (1965–1969)
Continuity of Republic serials on TV. no more no less.
14 February 2019
I am amazed that no one yet had noticed that this series, as many others - but particularely this one - looks like a serial from the Republic Pictures golden years, with the likes of William Witney and Spencer Gordon Bennet to direct. Many evil guys who dream to dominate the world, with tons of futurist gadgets of all kinds, cliffhangers every ten minutes, and above all, those terrific choragraphied fist fight scènes. You will also notice that the great Bill Witney directed ONLY a couple of épisodes of the first series: NIGHT OF THE DEADLY BED and NIGHT OF THE SUDDEN DEATH. And I will finish by telling one more time that between 1965 and 1969 you also had a series from UK called the AVENGERS which was for me the equivalent - in modern spy fashion - of W W WEST series. The most interesting is also to try noticing the particularities of each episode compared to the others. For instance the one where James West doesn't kiss the girl, or when the main heavy is arrested instead of being killed, or when Arthemus Gordon is not here....See what I mean. I find it interesting to find out. I did this for many series.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Avengers: Room Without a View (1966)
Season 4, Episode 15
Excellent topic that reminds me another one...
13 February 2019
This scheme where spies try to brainwash thru a fake room or prison camp stuff reminds me strongly the MISSION IMPOSSIBLE Tv show line. Remember in this series from the US, you often found this kind of topics too. So I find interesting these paths between series: WILD WILD WEST, as I have already told, AVENGERS, OUTER LIMITS, and also great movie industry topics too, which most of those schemes are inspired from, most of the time.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good episode in the line of the first season fashion
13 February 2019
As the other review said, that's not the first time in the season that it is question of conquest of the south California. t became nearly recurent in this season. That said, it is also pleasant to see William Campbell as the big bad guy's - Keenan Wynn - sidekick and wearing an outfit and also hand gloved as he was in his Johnny Cool character BACKLASH, remember? When he was fighting against Dick Widmark...
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another kind of unusual story for this show.
13 February 2019
At least, unlike the previous episode, this topic is more in the line of the whole series. Mad scientist and a kind of sci-fi too. But in this scheme, our heroes don't face hordes of baddies, just a couple of them. And the climax is not the one you may expect, but a sort of anti climax...I am not sure to be very accurate, maybe you don't get what I mean. No, that's not the best of the show, not the one you'll think in priority. But it's worth seeing though.
Not so bad after all
12 February 2019
Let's be clear, that's certainly not the best episode of the whole show, far from that. Not greatness or invention of any kind. The scheme is forgettable at the most. But the twists inside this story are quite amusing. We have not seen so many of them in the show, where there are so many predictable plots. Here, for once, NO, you have some good surprises. And after all, an excellent show, is not supposed to be always at the peak, with highlights every week, It may be interesting to slow the pace once in a while. This is the case here, with the original twists put in the plot. A minimalist episode but quite interesting though.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Avengers: Too Many Christmas Trees (1965)
Season 4, Episode 13
Another highlight episode of the series.
11 February 2019
This is one among the most unforgettable stories in this terrific TV show. I won't add much to what have already said the other Imdb users. Except that the dream, or may I sy nightmare, sequences remind me an Alfred Hitchcock's feature: SPELLBOUND, when Gregory Peck has also dreams. The way to present them looks like this episode, at least the first scene. But the settings are just not the same.
The Homeless (1974)
Ken Takakura at his ever best.
10 February 2019
For me a French movie lover, I consider Ken Takakura as the most known and best Japanese actor in the world, with of course Toshiro Mifune. This film is not his best though, even with the presence of Ando Noburu and - I don't know his name - Zatoichi character actor. The story has many difficulties to start and also explain many things. But only watching Takakura playing in a very minimalist role, which Jean Pierre Melville would have certainly loved, is a pure moment of pleasure. It's a yakuza tale where it is question of friendship and loyalty. Two long time friends just released from jail try to adjust their amitions with the local mob one.This topic about two men, very close friends, and a woman seeking a sunken treasure against all odds reminds me Robert Enrico's LES AVENTURIERS, starring Lino Ventura and Alain Delon. Astounding music score looking like the French ones of this seventies period. But a very sad ending, I warn you.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Taut crime Italian flick.
10 February 2019
In the pure tradition of the Italian crime film industry from the seventies; brutal, bloody with sharp editing and powerful acting. An urban crime feature where a rough and tough police officer fights against the mob with all his strength. Nothing new, I admit, but so effective. I recommand you this rare film. Don't miss the death of one of the persons whom the mafia wants to get rid of; thrown thru a window from the twentieth floor. It is also question here of the connection between politics and high scale racketeers. Italians were really the best in that field. The lead cop character and actor are absolutely awesome, convincing at the most.
The Homeless (1974)
Ken Takakura at his ever best
10 February 2019
This is not his best film, but that remains a gloomy and very dark tale about two ex cons, long time friends who, just after being released from jail, try to search a sunk treasure, despite the presence of the local yakuzas gangs. You also have Ando Noburu in a small role, and the side kick of Takakura is the same actor who played in the Zatoichi series. Takakura is terrific in this movie, with his face of a lost man, a character whom Jean Pierre Melville would have loved. And this topic about two male friends with a female in between who search a sunk treasure reminds me Robert Enrico's LES AVENTURIERS, starring Lino Ventura and Alain Delon.
The Homeless (1974)
Ken Takakura at his ever best.
10 February 2019
This is not a masterpiece this Japanse adventure crime movie starring Ken Takakura and Ando Noburu in a small part. You also have the actor who played in the ZATOICHI series. This is a yakuza movie speaking of two long time friends who, after being released from jail, try to search a sunk treasure despite the presence of the local mob, yakuzas. Takakura is as great as ever, the kind of character whom Jean Pierre Melville would have loved, am sure. A topic about friendship, loyalty and nostalgia. A sad story too. And this scheme of two male friends who, whith a woman between them, search a sunk treasure reminds me Robert Enrico's LES AVENTURIERS, starring Alain Delon and Lino Ventura.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tuer un homme (2016 TV Movie)
Powerful and convincing French drama
9 February 2019
This is a story inspired from actual evenys which happened in France a couple of years ago. A jewellery store owner killed an armed robber in self defense and then was condemned. This Tv film is very well made and acted. It is a social drama and studying characters in a very accurate manner. How people behave in certain circumstances. Not to see if you are in a depressed mood.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Emir
9 February 2019
The main surprise here is that you have the supposed big evil dude who dies not even at the middle of the show. Good surprise which I particularely appreciate. For the rest a good episode in the pure tradition of this amazing show.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Börü: Her Güzel Seyin Sonu (2018)
Season 1, Episode 6
Another Die Hard rip-off which happens to be a true reality show.
8 February 2019
I did not expect the conclusion of this daring Turkish TV show to finish this way. OK, the directing seems very in the Hollywood way but remains intersting, from the Turkish point of view, although I prefered LABIRENT and FIVE MINARETS I NY. The DIE HARD part is only for the first part of this last episode, don't worry. I guess this TV show will have no end because of the coup which happened in Turkey lately. Too close to reality. Good stuff.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Avengers: Man-Eater of Surrey Green (1965)
Season 4, Episode 11
Day Of The Triffids meets Invasion Of Bodysnatchers
8 February 2019
Or even War Of the Worlds.... - in the final scenes. As many other episodes of this series this one seems inspired by movie topics; such as SHADOW OF THE CAT, FIEND WITHOUT A FACE, and other classic horros of British or American film industries. The final part is absolutely terrific, even now in 2019. So imagine in 1966 !!!!
Oriental charm for Mr West
8 February 2019
I guess that's not the only Chinese adventure for our hero in this series.There will be more, as far as I remember. As Bob Conrad said in the introduction, this topic smellls like the forties B productions in the Charlie Chan or Fu Manchu line, with the unavoidable Chinese torture sequence and - guess what - the most unavoidable Philip Ahn presence. Ahn who plyed in nearly every story involving Chinese community on the US territory, since the forties. The most Chinese of the US actors. But not to seem to racist towards the Chinese, the evil in chief is a pure white dude, more British than American.
The Cybernauts invited in WWWest
7 February 2019
At least there is one topic very close to THE AVENGERS series, although the whole TV show is of course, as I have already said, very close to the UK TV series: a mix-up of spy, western, adventure and sci-fi, all in the most weird manner and atmosphere. In this very episode, there is no question of a robot but admit that the first minutes of this episode look very like THE CYBERNAUTS episode from THE AVENGERS. A must see, very typical of both "cousin" TV series.
Cavale (2002)
This trilogy reminds me something
7 February 2019
Actually this trilogy looks very the same as Nicolas Winding Refn's one called PUSHER. Watch this closely and you will notice that I am right. The main character in one of the three films is only a supporting one in the next movie; very interesting indeed. I guess there were more schemes like this one in other movies.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is it really a Wild Wild West episode?
7 February 2019
This is far from the best of the series. We don't have here any trace of the usual ingrédients of the show which usually bring its trade mark. No sci fi, nor weird elements. Which trap? This is a pure western topic, but after all W W W TV show is a western, isn't it? From time to time, I know there will be some episodes like this one.