2,841 Reviews
The Wild Wild West (1965–1969)
Wild Wild West and Gordon too.
17 April 2019
Now I have finished to watch the entire series, I can see that there are a few things, actually details, I want to point out. I have noticed that Jim West used more his legs for fights in the first season than in the next ones. Some kind of karate or tae kwon do. That doesn't mean his fights were worst or less spectacular in the colour seasons, not at all, but the choregraphy was different. Second thing, I want to emphasize on is that in those very same fist fights, our lead West did not ALWAYS make it, even against only ONE man. He seldom was beaten. And that's a pretty good thing after all. Is not it?
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Twilight Zone: Jess-Belle (1963)
Season 4, Episode 7
Witch or bitch?
17 April 2019
I really don't know what to think of thi episode. Does it really belong to the TWILIGHT ZONE scheme? yes maye, maybe. Ann Francis is outstanding in htis difficult character, but something missis in this topic. But the series also searched the largest audiences, so maybe this explains that. This tale will satisfyfemale audiences I guess. A little tribute to Jacques Tourneur, for Val Lewton atmosphere addicts.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Avengers: Thingumajig (1969)
Season 7, Episode 27
Unknown terror
17 April 2019
No one seems to have noticed, but this episode is directed by Leslie Norman, who gave us in the past THE LONG THE SHORT AND THE TALL, a terrific war movie, but also another outstanding scien fiction film called X THE UNKNOWN. Well, this episode is maybe not, but nearly the replicant of the X THE UNKNOWN tale, at least very close. Back to sci-fi for this sixth season, back to the Diana Rigg era.
Us (2019)
Please let Us Get Out
16 April 2019
Yes, let us get out of this crap. This director seems to want to copy Night Shyamalan's work, but that's a total failure. Yes, I can't pevent myself to think about the director of GLASS and SPLIT, another way to film horror thu psychanalist way of presenting the topic. But I also admit that I am not a specialist of this kind of stuff. GET OUT was far better than US.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Avengers: Pandora (1969)
Season 7, Episode 31
A unusual scheme for the show.
15 April 2019
I am surprised that no one has commented it yet. I don't think that's the best episode of the whole but it remains interesting. The plot line reminds me something from Hollywood, but I can't put the finger on it. This episode is one of the Brian Clemens favourite. This comment is the reflection of my own opinion, nothing more.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Flabby heroes explains many things.
15 April 2019
I have read comments which say that this TV movie is more a comedy than a serious adventure yarn. Of course it is. The original series, shot ten-fifteen years ago, could afford to be serious, because the overall genesis of the series was action packed sequences, with many stunts and not only from stunt men, but also the lead Robert Conrad, who was ten- fifteen years younger and also in a far far better shape, leaner and could show many more skills than in this TV movie. So, yes, I understand that the producers decided to compensate the lack of action sequences by more humor and comedy. Don't expect any fist fights from Jim West, or only a little. Forget what you saw in the past. But if you are a die hard fan of the show, don't hesitate to see it. It will be painful from time to time but rewarding.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One last detail I missed in my previous comment....
15 April 2019
Sorry folks, I forgot... The very last sequence, just before the closing credits, is absolutely exquisite....Far better than the episode itself. This sequence represents the pure AVENGERS eerie charm, that will stay in my mind as long as I live. I love this show for this kind of moments. I remember my childhood. Anyway, enjoy, as Steed and Tara in this masterpiece scene.
Where Tara drives at?
15 April 2019
This sixth season is definitely very different from the previous one, whilst the show remains excellent. I don't even mention Linda Thorson - who is of course also different from Diana Rigg, more ingenue and light minded, why not? - but the overall schemes, settings and topics. This sixth season is more urban, than the fourth and fifth, you have less countrysides settings, but that doesn't mean you have not at all. Only less. London districts are widely shown. And weird settings, for instance Mother headquarters, are indeed the main interest in this season, more than in the Diana Rigg's period; you can see that more budget was allowed to those matters. And the science fiction lines also seem to be abandoned, but not entirely, in this sixth season. No Cybernauts, no growing and man eating plants, but that doesn't mean you have not at all. Only less. Espionage was the original scheme of the series, the genesis of this show, in the early sixties, if you remember well. Espionage and certainly not weird or fantasy. So, espionage is back. That very point leads me to talk about this episode, which provides a pure espionage topic. Except the settings, Mother's, or the bad guy's boxing room headquarters, you have nothing really exceptional, nothing really typical of the series. You would have never seen this very scheme in the two previous seasons. Or maybe, but with other elements "made in Avengers", for instance WHO'S WHO?, with Mrs Peel. And the topic of the main lead accused of something he - or she - did not do, is overused. Nothing new here. But why not? I watch the total series in continuity, so it's very easy for me to notice all those details and changes from an episode to another or a season to the next one.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Twilight Zone: He's Alive (1963)
Season 4, Episode 4
Rise and fall of a lost man.
15 April 2019
This little feature reminds me strongly Elia Kazan's FACE IN THE CROWD scheme, except the neo facism matter. Dennis Hopper is of course outstanding in this so difficult role. But I think that's very interesting to show the difficulties this young facist movement to exist and grow. Look out the scene where they can't get the money to rent the hall where meetings take place.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Avengers: Stay Tuned (1969)
Season 7, Episode 22
I was a little lost but...
13 April 2019
Yes this episode scheme reminds me another one from Diana Rigg black and white season: THE HOUR THAT NEVER WAS, another loss of memory tale and deja vu scheme, where many holes remain and where simple minded folks as me can easily be lost. But that's not a bad episode at all, on the contrary. But mainly for intellectuals. I am too much cartesian, actually.
Family business
13 April 2019
A kind of comedy drama involving a father in his fifties and his grown up son in his early twenties, both unemployed and under debts, who try desperately to make it financially. They stop at nothing, including swindle old people by door step phony wine sales or cooper steals on rail roads. This is also a social movie, focusing on the modern world issues. Touching characters whom we can easily recignize in. Kad Merad at his best.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Avengers: Love All (1969)
Season 7, Episode 21
Very surprising plot
11 April 2019
The main unusual element which I appreciate the most, and also surprised me is the moment when Tara is about to commit suicide, you have here a very tense moment, the kind of one we are not used in the show. And just after you have a funny scene that I won't spoil. So, to summarize, the contrast between those two scenes is a good surprise for the series.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Wild Wild West: The Night of the Tycoons (1969)
Season 4, Episode 24
Accidental partner for Jim's last hurrah.
11 April 2019
I will always have great tenderness for this last episode of one of the most fantastic series of the sixties, and also maybe ever. Of course, it's far from being the best; nothing to do with a Miguelito Loveless episode. But this is not the worst, the most lousy of them all. Ok, Arte is not here, but Jim is not totally alone either. he has to deal with a kind of tenderfoot, some kind of arrogant young budding executive, ambitious but for whom you can feel some empathy. I find this so cute, offbeat and why not very interesting. Pretty good fist fight in a circus, between Jim and some clowns, and the otary scene, even the chimp one, are unforgettable. I would have loved to see the Young im's one time Partner fight besides him, after all, the tenderfoot practiced boxing. So long Jim and Arte, it's been a real pleasure;
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Avengers: The Morning After (1969)
Season 7, Episode 18
Without Tara? Why not?
11 April 2019
Yes, after all, why not without Tara? We already had episodes without Steed: ALL DONE WITH MIRRORS, WISH YOU WERE HERE, NOON DOOMSDAY - and maybe more, I have not seen the whole sixth season so far - so why not the contrary, even if we saw KILLER without Tara too. This topic also remembered another episode from the NEW AVENGERS called SLEEPER; not the entire plot, just a part. And another important thing, in this episode we see a little town setting, a kind of "blue collar" style town, with the typical gloomy British houses, all brick walled buildings, the kind of setting we are not used to see in this series. If you are a close fan as I am, in this TV show, we usually see countryside settings, or fancy districts of London. With nearly no extras at all. Some kind of "unreal" world. A world that doesn't exist. The last thing I want to tall is that I did not understand the opening scene, just before the appearance of the lead characters. A damn good episode but more than a kind of DIE HARD rip off twenty years before its time, than a AVENGERS like fantasy tale. One last detail, NEARLY without Tara...
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Wild Wild West: The Night of the Plague (1969)
Season 4, Episode 23
Bland episode.
10 April 2019
The first thing I want to tell is that you don't find in this episode Jim West with his usual clothes. He wears a normal cow boy pant and shirt. Maybe for the next and last episode of the show, it will be the same; we'll see. Second, this episode is far from being the best of the series. Every body feels the end of the show. Good scene of a man falling from a cliff, with the camera showing him falling back on rocks. Plus, this is a common western scheme here. No fantasy nor any kind os sci-fi, which was the trade mark of the show. Good stunts from Bob Conrad, as usual. Worst climax of the whole show, at least ONE of the worst.
Paskal (2018)
Expendable film, in every terms meaning...
9 April 2019
The basic scheme, though inspired by actual events, reminds me an American action feature from 2003 titled SWAT, where an ex cop belonging to the police elite force, decided to get thru the boundary between good and bad. This Malaysian film can be seen as a kind of propaganda, docu fiction stuff about the Malaysian special forces. Not bad at all, a pretty good time waster. But that's not CAPTAIN PHILIPS either. The final scènes are a bit too cheesy for me; too much predictable. You can easily live without it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the ost offbeat and interesting story of the whole show.
9 April 2019
I will not spoil this story, which ending is absolutely surprising. Believe me. No because Jim West has another partner; we are used to it in the fourth season, but for another reason. The other comment did not speak of the particularity of the climax. So PLEASE, focus on it. The bad guy, the mastermind is ...Well, watch out and enjoy !!!!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Wild Wild West: The Night of the Diva (1969)
Season 4, Episode 20
Another great Hollywood horror classic revisited....
8 April 2019
This amazing show has made many tributes to the Hollywood classics all over the four seasons: FRANKENSTEIN, WOLF MAN, LIVING DEAD, HAUNTED MANSIONS, HOUND OF BASKERVILLE - concerning the next episode - 20000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA, WAR OF THE WORLDS, KING KONG, INVISIBLE MAN, INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN, etc....So it is obvious that the Gaston Leroux masterpiece, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, had to be evoked too. Only DRACULA was not spoken about. This episode is not for sissies at all, despite the title. OK, you have a diva and songs, but also pretty good fist fights, incuding the one between Jim West and four goons, in a little one way street, whilst a goon plays banjo....Outstanding.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another lesser episode of the show.
8 April 2019
I was highly disapointed by this episode. Hollow, bleak, lame, nothing to remember, except the last fight scene, where Jim West had his pants torn from the rear. It has not even been cut in the editing process. I don't mind, however, but that proves that this fourth season meant the collapse of this fantastic show. The producers already knew that there would not be a fifth one. You also remember the episode NIGHT OF THE SPANISH CURSE, where Jim and Arte threw a dude just in the face of the camera. I then laughed to tears. Funny but sad, if you think deeply about it. But, as I have already said, even the best show ever can not bring a masterpiece episode each week. A fantastic plot or tale can easily justify a "garbage" or expendable story from time to time.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some kind of replacement for Miguelito.
5 April 2019
Yes, I think Tycho character could be a replicant of Dr Miguelito Loveless. I won't tell more for those who have not seen the episode yet. Because it belongs to the cursed fourth season, it is less action packed but contains however good fists fights and I think it is a very good episode, very WW WEST spirit worth. Miguleito's ghost, or shadow remains in this tale.
Waste of West
5 April 2019
At last, so close to the series ending, an awful episode. yes, it is possible. I have never been so deceived by an episode from my all time favourite Tv show - with the exception of THE AVENGERS. yes this story is boring, lame, lousy, totally hollow. The only originality is the one time appearance of Alan Hale Jr, the one time Partner of Jim West, in replacement of Arte. But I will always place this series, mong my all time favourites, with the addition of...
Best of West
4 April 2019
This episode is far far the best of the fourth season and belongs to the best of the series. Who said that the fourth season was a waste of West? I will tell more for the second part of this winged terror tale. But believe me, it's worth.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Avengers: Super Secret Cypher Snatch (1968)
Season 7, Episode 3
Ladders, ladders, ladders
3 April 2019
This is definitely a true ladder tale. First,Steed and Tara are introduced in the most funniy manner into Mother headquarters,and we can see as a kind of introduction to what will happen to them in the following. Ladder is the most notorious element here. yes, a funny episode though not the best of them all. And we find again the late Simon Oates, who was the throwing card killer in the famous YOU HAVE JUST BEEN MURDERED. He plays here one of the villain, the supervisor of the crew, but not the mastermind.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Wild Wild West: The Night of the Pelican (1968)
Season 4, Episode 13
Jim West behind bars.
3 April 2019
And that's not the first time in the series that our lead character is undercover as an inmate: remember NIGHT OF THE BARS OF HELL, or NIGHT OF THE BOTTOMLESS PIT, and there is another one which I don't remember the title. And the Chinese San Francisco atmosphere has also been evoked in the show. So the overall mix is nothing really new here. You also have a evil character who looks very like Arte in disguise, as a beard man. As usual in the fourth season, the climax is rather weak. SPOILERS SPOILERS the bad guys fly away and you suppose they will be arrested....Just a so so episode in the series.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The last but not the least for Miguelito...
2 April 2019
Yes folks, this was the Dr Loveless swan song for this series. And probably the best, though maybe not the most action packed. The first part of the episode was rather smooth, intellectual for the show. But the second part, more exquisit and understandable too. Excellent scenes, unforgettable ones, but I repeat, less action sequences. At least less spectacular concerning stunt fist fights.