2,924 Reviews
Le grand bain (2016)
Amusing little tale
16 June 2019
I foud this short movie very interesting, unusual, riveting. See for yourself. A young woman arrives in a ghetto tower, in the suburb and she tells the people living here that she is a former swimming champion, and then she proposes every one to give swimming lessons. The problem is that there is no swimming pool in the vicinity. So, guess what, she gives swimming lessons in her own apartment....Simulating real swimming without water.
I Feel Good (2018)
Some kind of French Ken Loach like feature
15 June 2019
I was not surprised by this movie directed by the GROLAND show makers, screen writers and directors. I received what I expected for. a social movie, of course, depicting the poverty in France with plenty of humor, so that many audiences could recognize themselves in without gloomy atmosphere. Jean Dujardin is outstanding here, as usual. This actor can play everything, anything. A film that makes you think after the watching, even if you are not an intellectual. Ken Loach would have liked it.
Parasite (2019)
Intruders
13 June 2019
That's not really a home invading home topic, or in a very special way. I reminded another movie from 2013 and Netherlands called BORGMAN, very close about the topic and even more weird; try it if you can. I prefered BORGMAN, but that one if far better brilliant, bloody, ironic, cynical.
0 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Syn (2018)
Grief
13 June 2019
A good documentary speaking of the death of a young Spetsnza soldier killed in action in Chechnya. We see his family in total pain. Moving. But the part showing the military drills are not that impressive for me. Of course, no one spoke about the atrocities commited by the Russian special forces against civilians suspected to hep local rebels. But war is hell anyway, whatever the side you choose.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good French adventure yarn.
11 June 2019
I was really amazed by the beauty of this film, and I watched it in a very good copy. I did not expect such a film from the French industry, and directed by such a petty film maker such as Jean Bastia, used to second rate comédies. Scenery and production design are here at a scale which I would have never imagined for a French yarn, especially from this period
Very good French TV series
11 June 2019
This is a social crime story taking place in the east of France, les Vosges. A tale of social distress and despair for some people trying to make it. Two men, petty blue collar workers and also bouncers in a night club decide to get some cash, emergency cash, by kidnapping prostitutes from a pimp ring, and also for the benefit of another pimp net. Roschdy Zem brings here an astounding performance, as a lost man in struggle with something far stronger than him. His sidekick in the film is a bodybuilder, a non professional actor whom, if Roschdy Zem had known him five years ago, had hired him for his movie as a director called BODYBUILDER. The bodybuilder character is pretty well acted for a non pro actor. Especially if you watch this dude talking in real life; all the contrary of the character he plays in this amazing TV show. For me, that's precisely the mark of a skilled man for acting. Playing something the total opposite of your natural character.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Man on a String (1972 TV Movie)
Undercover
10 June 2019
Nothing really new in this predictable at the most story. The foreseeable topic about an undercover agent in order to fihjt against mafia families. I like Chis Georges but he has done far better than this.But the whole stuff is entertaining enough to keep you awake, thanks to the Jo Sargent solid directing. Open ending, as for a TV series pilot, but with no series...
La FRAT (2015– )
Interesting scheme
8 June 2019
Interesting but not new, if you watched MISSION IMPOSSIBLE series in the sixties. A brainwashing topic, as also we saw in Georges Seaton's 36 HOURS, where, a few days before June 6th 1944 a group of Nazi intelligence men simulated a hospital for an Allied prisoner, for whom they told the D Day has already begun, only to know when it would take place. Here, you have the same plot, but ot concerning D Day, but a bomb Killing about to take place. Jean-Pierre Martins is outstanding in this mini series, unfortunately underrated, and that no one has already seen. The ending absolutely terrific.
An absolutely lost gem
7 June 2019
This movie is a terrific war piece of work, among the best ever, which Sam Fuller or Bob Aldrich could have done themselves. A pure men's tale, with no good vs evil silly scheme, as we usual see in war movies. Here British soldiers can behave like Japanese. I have always confounded this movie and Leslie Norman's THE LONG THE SHORT AND THE TALL. Another jungle patrol British film, very close to this one.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The New Avengers: Forward Base (1977)
Season 2, Episode 13
Underwater assignment
6 June 2019
Well, that's definitely not my favourite, but not the worst episode of the series, and the season. Pure espionage with no real AVENGERS spirit; at least for my own point of view. It seems to be the last of the whole show, that began - for AVENGERS series - back in 1961. If you crave for weird and funny stuff, that's exactly for you. However that point doesn't make it AVENGERS series label worth. I prefered the two previous episodes, even lousier than this one.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The New Avengers: The Gladiators (1977)
Season 2, Episode 11
Human Cybernauts
6 June 2019
Very amusing to notice that the Colonel's character has the eyes, the eyebrows of Joseph Staline !!! ha ha ha. The best example that even the lousiest story and directing of all time can be fun to watch. The making of those super killers is so amusing to watch. Especially when the professor is Staline's clone. A must in the series, even in the worst way.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The New Avengers: Complex (1977)
Season 2, Episode 10
The building
6 June 2019
Interesting this episode which is, one more time, in this series, some kind of critism of the modern technology. Very accurate and visionary for this time. Espionage tale, of course for this show. But the last part reminded me another episode of the show: starring Diana Rigg, HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT; where Mrs Peel was locked in a "living house"...
Day of the killer
5 June 2019
Lousy is the proper word to describe this forgettable but entretaining AVENGERS episode. which the climax is highly inspired from DAY OF THE JACKAL. The scene between father and son is very amusing. Patrick Mc Nee confessed in his biography that the producers of the series in France went away with the money of the production...Maybe this explains that.
Pure and underrated gem
4 June 2019
Probably the best movie made among lesbians, and made by a director specialized in pure men's topics. Yes, Bob Aldrich gave us male movies, such as : ATTACK, DIRTY DOZEN, FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX, TOO LATE THE HEROES, ULZANA'S RAID, LONGEST YARD, EMPEROR OF THE NORTH POLE, TWILIGHT LAST GLEAMING, but he also made movies for women, at least showing mostly women: HUSH HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE, WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE, KILLING OF SISTER GEORGE, LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE, CALIFORNIA DOLLS...It is a very daring subect, especially for this era, late sixties.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great potential but missed it.
4 June 2019
The story line gave us great promises, but something is missing here. I don't know exactly what. The plot is so unusual settings and topic: Russians sleepers agents and soldiers who, decades later, operate in the deep French countryside. But even failed, this episode is quite entertaining, at least doesn't bring us the worst of the series. Brian Clemes shines here, once more. This could ahve been a topic for the previous AVENGERS seasons. But the sequence with Gambit jumping on the tree could have been avoided.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The New Avengers: The Lion and the Unicorn (1977)
Season 2, Episode 4
Bottom of the barrel
4 June 2019
That's for me the worst AVENGERS episode sever. First, no AVENGERS spirit at all. Second, even for another series, this remains a flat, tepid episode, even shot mostly in France; my country. But that's not the point. I guess that's the influence of other countries than UK that explains the nullity of this plot. But that remains agreeable to watch, not that boring. That's the only good point. But, please, forget the AVENGERS.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Commissaire Moulin: Bavures (2007)
Season Unknown, Episode Unknown
The incident
3 June 2019
This is a so exciting topic this one speaking of a colored Black lawyer arrested and put under custody for a minor offence. But the problem is that the cops who arrested him are racist and the lawyer is accidently killed by the cops. and there is a witness of the scene...This matter has rarely been evoked in most crime stories involving cops. Corrupted cops, yes, but racists, not so often. Especially for this kind of show, supposed to be shown to wide audiences...Just one thing I want to correct; as a superintendant in charge of the Homicide Squad, Moulin has not to interfere with armed robbers about to pull a heist. The Sweeney, commando squad, BRI - French SWAT - is supposed to be called. Back to the main line of the plot, Moulin is very convincing, effective, as the cop trying his very best to stay close to the truth and nothing but the truth. Unlike many other stories like this one, where thelead cop would rapidly conclude as a racist crime and witness died but something else than a drug overdose. Last of the MOULIN series and among the very very best. If not the best.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The New Avengers: Angels of Death (1977)
Season 2, Episode 2
Among the three best...
3 June 2019
That's probably one of the best in the whole NEW AVENGERS series episode. Three things to notice. First, as I told in trivia line, in the first scene, when Joanna Lumley is shown in Montmartre, on the Sacré Coeur, with the portrait maker, watch out for the crowd around. there were not extras for sure, every one watches at her, and the camera....Second thing is that the reason why those men and nurses, with the health - spa - center did all this, why killing those VIP from the secret service, in which purpose? Maybe i missed something. And the third thing I wanted to point out is the scene between Steed and Purdey, in the maze, when they are nearly crushed between the walls....Very suggestive posture indeed....
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The New Avengers: Dead Men Are Dangerous (1977)
Season 2, Episode 1
Good episode but not that Avengers either
1 June 2019
That's only the third episode I see from the second season and this scheme is rather more espionage than anything else. You'll tell me that AVENGERS series is genuinely espionage and not sci-fi or mystery...And you'll be damn right. But this story is intersting, well done, though far from being the closest to AVENGERS spirit or weird and bizarre stuff. A vengeance tale and tight enough to glue your attention to the screen.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The New Avengers (1976–1977)
New Avengers
1 June 2019
Actually, there is a very simple way to describe the series. There are episodes which have THE AVENGERS spirit, and others which have not. Period. Not having AVENGERS spirit doesn't mean the story is not good or interesting, just different. The same, having the AVENGERS spirit doesn't necessarily mean that the story is excellent. I speak here about the atmosphere thru plot line, settings, situations.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The New Avengers: Trap (1977)
Season 2, Episode 6
A trap, yes, but mainly for the fans
1 June 2019
And also here the most terrible miscast of all times. Why choosing an Englaish actor to play a Chinese character? The other famous miscast in that matter was of course John Wayne for Dick Powell's THE CONQUEROR. But Terry Wood is not the Duke. And the Powell's feature was a powerful adventure yarn, though not very accurate about the history stuff détails, comparing to this tepid espionage flick, which has nothing to do in an AVENGERS episode. But that remains watchable, never boring.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The New Avengers: Hostage (1977)
Season 2, Episode 7
A Non Avengers episode but try it...
31 May 2019
Boring, if you expect for an AVENGERS atmosphere experiment. This is pure espionage, not badly done, not at all, and I would say unusual for the series, but it could have fit for any other episodeof a common espionage show. Something remains inetresting though, it's some kind of rivalry, misunderstanding, feud, between Steed and Gambit around Purdey.
Zone Red (1986)
Treason Of State
31 May 2019
Treason of state for a reason of state, one more, this exciting and also depressing story about a woman in her forties who visits her ex husband, living in a remote village, and then assists of a mysterious accident, of a kind of phantom truck tanker, which seems to be lost in the village, at night, just before the driver aboard empties the tank of gasoline all over the village, This is a topic depicting the flight lost in advance of this woman trying to understand why this "accident "happened. This is an ecology thriller, where it is question of shadow companies working for the government and then , as soon as something gets awry, try to erase everything. This was a topic for Yves Boisset, the master, the surgeon concerning those matters which the French companies always refuse to talk about; unlike the novels. Inspired by a GJ Arnaud book.

SORRY if my comment appear two times for this film. But my FIRST comment seemed lost in the fourth dimension.
Zone Red (1986)
State Treason
31 May 2019
State Treason and also Reason, this tale about ordinary people, as you and me, who are unfortunately involved in a gigantic matter that will submerge them. A typical French topic, especially for novels, instead movies - this one is an exception, because in the pure line of what Yves Boisset did during all his career. Yes, French movie industry is usually very careful about such matters, because if not, companies will have problems for releasing their stuff thru TV channels, who produce most of the movies. No TV channels money, no movie. eriod. And TV channels are directly under control of the government. That's a sort of Official French State Mafia. In the USA, there is more freedom. The only God director is the money that a film can make. As simple as that. So, back to this pure masterpiece which, I repeat, Yves Boisset could have made

A woman comes to visit her ex husband in a remote village, very small one, and it appears that, one night, a mysterious gasoline tanker gets lost in the village just before his gigantic tank is released from the fuel, and then the whole village gets right into hell. You have understood why... The poor woman has her ex husband killed in the "accident" and then she will investigate. This is a lost in advance fight for this poor woman, because she will have to struggle against evil forces, a cynical world of lies and manipulation where the State Reason always wins in the end. It's also a movie speaking of ecology and nature protection against big companies interest. A rather good topic for a TV movie instead a big screen one. So the film did not find its audiences. Yes, yes, yes, Yves Boisset should have doe it for TV. But Robert Enrico is a great director anyways.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The New Avengers: Dirtier by the Dozen (1976)
Season 1, Episode 12
One more pure AVENGERS episode.
31 May 2019
I am glad to find here one more AVENGERS series atmosphere. Not only the basic plot but some scenes, such as this one with Steed walking quietly among soldiers during a fire drills, as he did in the previous seasons of AVENGERS show. And this excentric character, as Purdey's uncle, an ex military, a kind of character as we also found in Diana Rigg's both seasons - less in Linda Thorsons's ones.