3,065 Reviews
Exquisite
19 November 2019
I will not tell the plot line again. It has already been done just before. But i can say that the ending is absolutely terrific, immoral at the most. When the baddies make eventually it. But there is something I don't understand. Why Jed, supposed to want to be killed, because of the life insurance ONLY possible if it not caused by a disease, is aware of the bullets are blank, to trick is rival? He collaborates to this joke, whilst he wished at the start to be really killed...And, he just discovered he had no cancer; so why put the blame on his rival, if he has not been killed by him? But that remains an excellent episode.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Valley of Mystery (1967 TV Movie)
Not that worth
17 November 2019
What is weird here is that it seems to be built in two parts. After the two third, you guess it's finished, after Fernando Lamas's death, but it continues, and you don't even know what is going on with the rest of the in waiting to be rescued passangers....That's the mystery of the title....Yes, this adventure TV movie is in TWO parts, and no one seems to have noticed it. Another mystery...
Rat Trap (1963)
Lost gem !!!
16 November 2019
It's a real pity that this movie was not better released. I catched it on a streaming Platform. it tells the story of a French exiled in Paraguay who tries to eventually make it and get back to Europe. His faith will cross a young woman's one, played by Marie Laforêt. A very good and moving adventure film that deserves to be watched by large audiences. And the topic of this broke man who tries to emerge from disaster is rather modern to me. Aznavour is a real hero without being a tough man at all. I was also surprised to see that this film had an American like music score, like a Hollywood feature.
The Prisoner (2007)
Something I forgot
15 November 2019
That's me again, sorry. You see, I am French and still traumatized by the 2015 Bataclan killings in Paris. Massive killings during which many many people died and for which the criminal mastermind Salam Abdeslam is still in jail, refusing to talk and even asking for a rowing machine, to exercise. I don't lie. He should see this movie. That's for him. If he was in prison in Russia or Japan, I can assure you he would talk, even sing !!! ha ha ha. So, if you are a terrorist about to commit a massive killing in Japan, don't miss your suicide. This very very disturbing movie is a kind of Japanese L'AVEU. Remember Costa Gavras's masterpiece, back from 1968? The main difference is there you can hardly feel empathy for the tortured.
The Prisoner (2007)
Not for everyone
15 November 2019
I am lucky enough to have purchased this rare film from Japan. Lucky and wise too. The plot line has already told what it is about. A terrorist is arrested after a failed suicide attempt and then sent to jail to be tortured and brainwashed by the authorities. Some scenes are unbearable enough to push theater audiences to the exit doors. It is beyond you can expect. I would have never imagined this kind of feature released in Western countries. Maybe China or Russia, I don't know why...Or Indonesia. You don't leave this fim after seeing it on the same state of mind as when you started it. You have been warned.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wild Bunch of idiots and certainly not the Magnificent Five...
15 November 2019
That's a good time waster, that you may watch while using the vacum cleaner or wash the dishes. And you can also forget it afterwards. You are not bored in this story of five idiots accepting ONLY one thousand bucks for risking their lives in order to pull a 500 000 £ robbery !!!!! Idiots, yes. If it was for saving a condemned man and take him out of jail, I could understand. After all, in the movie THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, they did not earn more, even less, but it was for saving poor people from slavery. But I repeat, you can see it with great pleasure though.
Diary of a hooker
14 November 2019
Not uninteresting story of an ordinary Italian mother of two, divorced but prostitute to survive. Nothing exciting in this rather tepid movie that describes the daily life of prostitutes between police problems, pimps, families etc... Not a comedy, as you could guess from an Italian film. Good acting but depressing.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The beginning of the end
14 November 2019
I am afraid that this kind of films and series will be here more and more in the future, as long as our world will continue to exist. The spirit of this no future thema series reminds me a French movie which I saw last week: L'HEURE DE LA SORTIE; The third episode of this show: THE AIRFIELD is so immoral with the lead bad guy making it at the end. The acting are not always excellent, but mostly OK enough for my taste. Audiences can easily feel empathy for most of the characters. But this is a true depressing series. US Tv industry would never make this kind of stuff, where there is no happy end at all. I love that.
L'Effondrement: L'Aérodrome (2019)
Season 1, Episode 3
Excellent
13 November 2019
During an emergency state all over the country, a wealthy man suddenly panucs and leaves his domain, bringing up with him only his paints, leaving his wife, thinking only about himself, a really nasty man. The actor playing this disgusting character is absolutely excellent.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
L'Effondrement: La Station-service (2019)
Season 1, Episode 2
Only one character spoils the whole thing
13 November 2019
On a huge shortage day, gasoline storage at a gas station, there is a long queue of drivers waiting for gas. And then a police car arrives and the cop aboard asks for gas in a hurry. He insists....I won't spoil any further. The main problem here is that this cop character doesn't look like a cop. Long hair, not shaved with a growing beard... And this scene takes place in France, not in deep Texas or Arizona. Beat cops are never alone aboard patrol cars. NEVER. Good episode though.
The Wild Boys (2017)
Could not make it...
13 November 2019
Sorry, I tried hard to watch this movie, which seemd to look like LORD OF THE FLIES on many points, but it was too hard for me. Not a bad movie, very daring too, but not for all audiences...
Savages (2019– )
Smart, daring but a little too simplistic
12 November 2019
That's the pure French political genre series. I think this kind of stuff could have been made long ago. It is inspired by BARON NOIR, HOUSE OF CARDS, ENGRENAGES...with action and thriller elements added to the whole. But as I told above, it is too simplistic, too foreseeable of certain points. It could have been better on many things. It's social political thriller in the pure French manner. Many will prefer BARON NOIR, but the latest lasked action and thrills.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Time Bomb (1984 TV Movie)
Foreseeable but exciting
10 November 2019
I spent a great moment watching this Tv movie from the deep eighties. I loved it, even if there are many expected lines. I loved Morgan Fairchild's character, in the pure line of Marthe Keller's one in BLACK SUNDAY, where - as here - she killed the hero's best friend. It was Robert Shaw instead of Billy Dee Williams who then intended a fierce revenge agaisnt the evil terrorist lady. Yes, yes, I love this kind of reverse scheme. Good hero vs the Evil female gang leader. But BLACK SUNDAY was a masterpiece, with more budget and a better directing though.
Bonhomme (2018)
Trauma
9 November 2019
Compelling story of a young wife whose husband, after a car crash, encounters may difficulties to live a normal life. Actually, he behaves like a child, suffering a handicap. But the overall result is not so gloomy; rather a semi comedy drama for which some audiences could feel hurt concerning characters, especially his poor wife. Look out for the scene where, in half amnesia, he tells to his wife the forename of his mistress. Poor wife who tries deperately to help her husband. Her cheating husband. Duvauchelle is very good here, as usual.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: A Stolen Heart (1988)
Season 3, Episode 4
The typical new AH series style
9 November 2019
As I have already told, the new AH PRESENTS show on the eighties is recognizable, if you compare with the old series, with the twists within twists near the end. Here you have five of them. Five !!! I won't spoil the story any further. Check for yourself.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Prism (1988)
Season 3, Episode 3
Six faces of Susan
9 November 2019
You can prefer Night Shyamalan's SPILT or THREE FACES OF EVE, starring Joanne Woodward in the split personnalities topics but this one is very good, and perfect for an ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS series episode. I am even surprised it has not been used in the old series, inspired by the Nunally Johnson's feature.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tremendous heist movie
8 November 2019
Typical of the late sixties, the hippy era. I will never get tired of seeing it again and again. It is very close to the book, except the cliffhanger ending. The novel - or novelisation, because it was written by the screenwriter Troy Kennedy Martin- had an eding far smoother than this one. I will add two things. This movie is inspired - not thru the heist itself - by the great train robbery, Glasgow London heist, where the robbers were caught because of the lack of precautions they took with finger prints in the farm, their logstic headquarters. Here, the gangsters are very careful on this point. Second, talking of precautions, I don't understand that Michael Caine's character, so careful about everything, doesn't ask the bus driver, at the end, to be more careful when he drives the bus in the hairpin moutain downhill road...
Get In (2019)
Some kind of French Parasites
6 November 2019
Of course this little French feature was in production in the same time of Korean's PARASITES, so I don't even think it was inspired from the Asian film. But the two movies have something in common, concerning some kind of home invading, though not in the usual straight way. It seems inspired from actual events,for the first part. And I think this kind of unbelievable scheme may happen from time to time. Incredible is the word. The movies changes of pace after the second third, to become an action horror thriller, but unfortunately with a totally f...up ending. In the pure Hollywood tradition, which is not a compliment.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Olivier Marchal meets Nicolas Winding Refn
4 November 2019
That's a film I waited for since a long time now. Yes, I am positive, that's a mix between Olivier Marchal - or even David Ayer ( Training day screenwriter) - atmosphere, at least the topic, and Nicolas Winding Refn, concerning the making itself. I watched TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG several weeks ago and am still plunged into its so depressing and weird atmosphere. Not for all audiences for sure, and I understand that many viewers don't like it that much. Many holes in the film but that contributes to make it better. I am waiting for the next Craig Zahler's film now.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Under Pressure (2019 TV Movie)
Honest but a little ankward
4 November 2019
This is a drama, not really crime flick, despite police story, and in the right fashion, related to the daily life of cops in France. A kind of French version of POLICE STORY series from Hollyood seventies, inspired from Jo Wambaugh's novels. This is not Olivier Marchall's stuff, I warn you. But it seems very accurate, though some scenes seem to be taken from PLUS BELLE LA VIE show. The same flaw that BANLIEUSARDS had. Some smooth scenes to soften the darkness of the story. I appreciated another feature of the director, several years ago, which I commented. The overall topic brings nothing really new though. That's just a good pretext to show how terrible being a cop is.
Mesrine (1984)
Better enemy of the accurate
4 November 2019
Everyone will prefer the two films made in 2008, starring Vincent Cassel, no doubt about it. But, this film is good for me. Nicolas Silberg is more Mesrine than Mesrine himself, with a deep voice, - a voice which Mesrine did not have !!!! Mesrine - if you listen to the tapes he recorded before his death - had a thin voice, not a gangster's voice but a simple blue collar worker waking up each morning to go to work. Every one's voice. That's the irony. But choosing an actor with a thin voice would not have been believable. Even Vincent Cassel playing Mesrine did not have a thin voice, but a deep voice. That's the proof that reality is always more incredible than fiction. But also more boring and more horrible too. Never forget that. To summarize, excellent performance, from Nicolas Silberg, who had a voice which matched his character and physique. Unlike Mesrine himself !!!! ha ha ha
One Flew Over a Mice nest
4 November 2019
This little story reminds me strongly Milos Forman's ONE FLEW OVER A COCOO NEST, every one will agree. But the head matron role is far from Louise Fletcher's one; however the overall topic and especially ending miss something. There is not twist ending. Without a twist ending, I don't get what the use to watch an AH PRESENTS episode without a twist ending. Do you? And in this kind of story, they had many possibilities.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Untouchables: Downfall (1962)
Season 3, Episode 22
An unusual ending
Beware spoilers !!!

The interesting thing in this episode, besides the awesome performance of Steven Hill, is that the ending shows Ness and his boys chasing down not the "bad guy" of the story but on the contrary the good one. And not as a mistake!!! With the same results. I found this very surprising, unsual. I love this. And plus, the scheme of Hill's character and his father's old friend and his debt of honor is very moving too.
Speed meets Sugarland Express
3 November 2019
What an exciting crime thriller from Japan depicting the story of bank robbers who, after pulled the job, take bus passengers as hostages. No length in this fast paced crme flick where character study is not forgotten. I thought a little about Larry Peerce's THE INCIDENT, the tale of two punks taking a subway train as hostages also with the character study of the passengers aboard. That's definitely not a yakuza flick. Lots of car stunts and chases. Remy Julienne would have loved it.
School's Out (2018)
The countdown has already begun
2 November 2019
Yes, that's a kind of FAILSAFE or DR STRANGELOVE...topic, but set in another way. the countdown before the end of the world has already begun, that's unfortunately the awful truth. I have myself no kids, and that's my greatest treasure...These teens in this movie are so lucid, so realistic, more than adults. A depressing but interesting and daring little film. Not for all idiot audiences who still Believe in a better world. We can Always dream. Hope makes live, and despair die.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.