2,988 Reviews
The Untouchables: The Rusty Heller Story (1960)
Season 2, Episode 1
Roaring Twenties into The Untouchables
16 September 2019
When I commented ROARING TWENTIES several years ago, I mentioned the two series, very close to each other, in the term of atmosphere and topics: cabarets, twenties, gangsters. There were some differences though. And in this episode, starring Liz Montgomery instead of Dotty Provine, I could not prevent myself to comare tose two shows, but in the reverse way. Among the best of the whole series.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Sybilla (1960)
Season 6, Episode 10
Very moving story
16 September 2019
As for the previous episode, this topic and screenplay could easily have been done for another anthology Tv series, not necessarily AH PRESENTS show. Of course you have a twist ending but no criminal element at all. Yes, both epsiodes look like the same. very sensitive and poignant directing from the great Ida Lupino.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Streets of L.A. (1979 TV Movie)
Totally unbelievable but so unusual...
15 September 2019
I know that an unbelievable thing is obviously unusual, and this feature certainly is, inspired by actual events - at least it seems to be - but I loved this one. I love this kind of surprising topics, and this one is pulled by a very convincing Joanne Woodward.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All the Kind Strangers (1974 TV Movie)
Good but familiar to me.
14 September 2019
It's a perfect topic for a modern Spanish horror movie. Spanish because it is question here of children, and Spanish horror films are often around children. That's not the first picture with such a scheme. I did not know this film at all, even directed by Burt Kennedy. Tense, taut and suspenseful all long.
Sink or Swim (2018)
An excellent human study
14 September 2019
The best way for me to watch such a film is to consider only the human and touching way of showing the characters. Each of them is interesting in his own way. But for the rest, I hate this film because of its naivete. It looks like an American movie for silly audiences. And seeing men practicing a sport made for women, sorry but that made nearly puke. I could not bear it.
Russia 88 (2009)
Nazis in Russia
12 September 2019
I am French and when I saw this movie, I thought about a sort of mix up between C'EST ARRIVE PR7S DE CHEZ VOUS, back in 1992, and also AMERICAN HISTORY X and UN FRANCAIS, both features speaking of skin heads and extreme right wing hoodlums, racist and homophobic punks. I guess there were movies in UK about hooligans, a very cousin kind topic. The main difference between this movie and the two I mentioned just above, is that there is nothing here of redemption. Only hate. Pure hate.
The Untouchables (1959–1963)
Only Lee Marvin and Skip Homeier were missing in this show !!!!
12 September 2019
What I loved the most in this show is the fact that there were always supporting characters, very interesting ones, most of the time, losers, gangster's wives or mothers or sisters. There was not always the scheme where the bad vs the good guy. We could find some empathy for the villain, but not always of course. You had in this show, the biggest heavies of the Tv and big screen industry.: Leo Gordon, Neville Brand, Lee Van Cleef, Claude Akins and many many more..But with the exception of Lee Marvin and Skip Homeier !!!!! The lousy side of this show was the always the same ending; with Ness and his crew arriving and killing every bad man available.... And one last thing, in this series, not every story was authentic. Most of the time inspired by actual characters, but certainly ot close to authentic facts.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Untouchables: The Underworld Bank (1960)
Season 1, Episode 26
Solid episode
12 September 2019
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER As usual in this amazing show, you have supporting characters pretty interesting and moving. Here, Peter Falk character and his chick. The stories don't focus always on ness and his bunch. That's what I like the most. The corny side of this series, is the ending, always the same. Ness and co arrive and there is the expected gunfight...here, the funny thing is that Peter Falk character is tortured by hoodlums, and when Ness and his men arrive, suddenly Falk stands up from his chair and fires at Ness who came to free him up. He becomes the allie of his torturers. And eventually dies with them.
Homeland (2011– )
Hmmmm
12 September 2019
That's not MANDCHOURIAN CANDIDATE, the topic of the former POW tortured, brainwashed and supposed to kill a candidate to the White Houe or preparing a mass killing in America. I rapidly fell asleep in this series. Iquit only after a few episodes. Good performances, yes, although...Not bad but...
In the pure Mickael Haneke style
11 September 2019
I would have swore that this so weird and disturbing movie was made by Michael Haneke. It is not, but who cares? I really loved it, because it is not for all audiences. I thought about a sort of Raspoutine in reverse scheme. Instead of Healing a family, a stranger, adopted by this very same family, intends of destroying it. Terrific music score. I did not see THE LOBSTER but I guess the atmosphere must be the same. Near an unbearable movie, that's why I love it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Killer in the Family (1983 TV Movie)
What an astonishing surprise
10 September 2019
I was afraid to see a sort of tongue in cheek and cool family drama. The directing is not so good after all, on the contrary of the screenplay and acting. But how hell was mysurprise to see a very brutal and startling - for the audience - topic, and with the scee of Mitchum killing the whole family in cold blood. Yes, I would have seen the trailer, I would have never seen this film. But it was released in France.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Commissaire Moulin: L... comme Lennon (1993)
Season 3, Episode 12
Solid episode
9 September 2019
This is obvious that the screenplay was inspired by US serial killer and copycat movies. This is not SEVEN anyway, but interesting enough to keep you awake and even glued to this story whre Moulin has to deal with two interesting cases. One concerning a serial killer who is the copycat of a lunatic under custody in an asylum, and another one where a criminal whom he sent behind bars seeks revenge against our lead. A topic very in the fashion of the nineties and 2000s décades: serial killers and links with "artistic" crimes.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Right of the People (1986 TV Movie)
Not a bad topic, but so awfully made
8 September 2019
I don't argue about the topic, the message supposed to be brought here, I won't. I know that in the USA, the problem of fire arms is a real issue, bigger than anywhere in the civilized world. The ending is interesting too. But the directing and acting are terrible. Not terrific, TERRIBLE; Especially the action sequences, with slow motion and BLOODLESS, shooting scenes. Laughable, except that did not make me laugh at all. So lousy, this picture made for TV stinks the worst eighties fashion, as haircuts and music score. But not that bad either, if you consider the overall job. I repeat, the problem is the characters, acting and shooting scènes.
Key West (1973 TV Movie)
Seventies Nostalgia for certainly a missed series.
23 August 2019
I don't know why, but I expected to find something of Ernest Hemingway in this tale of gumshoe and his friend involved in this adventure thriler scheme. Yes, we can consider Stephen Boyd's character as a kind of tribute to Humphrey Bogart in KEY LARGO or John Garfield in BREAKING POINT. But there stops the comparison. That stuff looks like a TV series pilot; there were batches of TV shows which atmospheres, characters and topics were very similar to this one. And I have always been a Woody Strode fan and seeing him in great shape is always a pleasure.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Letter of Credit (1960)
Season 5, Episode 36
Flat episode
22 August 2019
It is probably the less interesting episode of the whole series. Yes, the supposed twist ending is acually not one at all. We just discover something which we may not expect, I agree, but that remains flat to me. I won't spoil the story, but just wait for the next episode.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Boat (2018)
All is lost
22 August 2019
I don't refer here to the terrfic movie starring Bob Redford, back in 2013 - ALL IS LOST - and speaking about a near similar subject,, but about this interesting but totally ankward feature which could have been far better than this.
5 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh Mercy! (2019)
Anatomy Of a Murder meets Polisse
21 August 2019
I was deeply bored by this however interesting film, a social drama, not a real pure crime flick although; a kind of Ed Mc Bain's novels atmosphere, the police procedural around a murder case, where Roschdy Zem could be a kind of Lieutnant Carella. I was bored because that's not my cup of tea. But that's ony a matter a taste. I prefered GARDE A VUE though. And POLISSE. There is here a tribute to LE CERCLE ROUGE with the lonely cop chaaracter living with a cat pet; remember Bourvil, in Jean Pierre Melville's masterpiece. And Lea Seydoux gives here another astotishing performance as a young lesbian, a kind of tribute of <hat she did in LA VIE D'ADELE, back in 2013. Good acting and directing, but not my kind of films.
5 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Zinneman's tribute to himself
21 August 2019
I love this movie. because the opposite characters are not here the good vs the bad one. After all, who is the heavy? Besides this Fred Zinneman puts here an element that he will use in DAY OF THE JACKAL, with the scheme of the lonely killer on the path of his one way destiny...I won't tell more. And I also appreciated the scheme of the two opposite character, whom I mentioned above, who meet only at the end, for the last round, as in Eddy Dmytryk THE YOUNG LIONS.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Cell 227 (1960)
Season 5, Episode 34
What a moving character
20 August 2019
It is so rare that an AH PRESENTS episode brings so much emotion, in which the audience may fell so much empathy for a character. The Brian Keith one is outstanding here as a man full of pride and dignity. I felt so pain for him, what a terrific ending, in the pure AH PRESENTS line, which reminded another episode about a condemned prisoner, in death row, who just about to be executed, and...But no spoiler in my comment. Just enjoy.
Stalingrad (1993)
The real best about this tragedy
18 August 2019
How the hell can any one prefer Jean Jacques Annaud's crap - ENEMY AT THE GATES - to this one, this true masperpiece. How? Oh, I know that the film made by the french director was an American feature produced by Hollywood, and so, you could not expect anything brutal, real, outstanding; you couldn't wait to see a neutral vision of the war. You could not expect to watch a picture where Russian and German soldiers, though on opposite sides, were both thrown in the same hell, the same grief, the same pain. This German film actually made it. But that's because it is a GERMAN point of view, the point of view of those who LOST the war. You have here no patriotic propaganda that you could see in Bondarchouk's film - in 2013 - about this so great victory for Ivan...I hate Russian movies about the Great Patriotic War, except COME AND SEE of course. In the other features, German soldiers are ALWAYS shown as idiots, barbarians - which they were in many cases, but not necessarily on the front line; For instance, in Stalingrad battle, there were no SS nor Einsatz kommandos, in charge of population extermination. There were only German fighters, not pure Nazis. The same with the Erwin Rommel's Afrika Korps, in North Afrika. To summarize, I love the realistic way of filming and depicting characters. Remember CROSS OF IRON too.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good script but awful acting...
13 August 2019
The basic plot is very interesting. it is inspired by a sordid criminal case which happened in France several years ago, when man slaughtered his entire family before disappearing in the thin air. Here Laurent Laffite is OK, but the other acting performances really terrible, especially the Gendarmerie commandant. Laughable at a scale you wonder what kind of crap you are watching, a drama or a comedy. A error on the casting process. Besides this, the overall work is rather ankward, something is missing. The female gendarme is not that convincing. Above all, I still Wonder how the hell a supposed disappearing murderer is able to use his credit card in a cash machine, especially several years after his crime? The best way to be located by the police force !!! An awful mistake in the story? But, I repeat, the basic idea is interesting. Sucha shame.
Surprisingly good French yarn
11 August 2019
I know this feature since four décades now, and I saw it again a few minutes ago. It is really well made, as directing and especially acting. Characters are superbly convincing, very good surprise for this kind of grade B French crime film. And the director was a TV film maker, more than a big screen one. But there are some holes in the story. For instance, what happened to the guy supposed to be carried in, in Michel Bouquet's character's place, the electronic specialist...? What happened to him? But I insist on the acting performance of many actors here, Michel Bouquet and the italian actress above all. And this scheme of a man defending his family is more a made in US kind of thriller than a French one. To summarize it is not only a pure crime flick but also a thriller.
what a series !!!
10 August 2019
The main thing that makes this TV show so terrific is that there was always downbeat endings, never happy endings, the main characters near always die. Plus, these topics are never boring at all.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: The Jokester (1958)
Season 4, Episode 3
Reminds me something else.
9 August 2019
Yes, this topic looks very close to another one, from Alfred Hitchcock Présents series: BREAKDOWN, starring Joseph Cotten. Not the same topic, but I repeat, very close though.
Beanpole (2019)
Outstanding movie
7 August 2019
That's a Russian film about post Great Patriotic War which takes place in Leningrad, in a war veteran hospital. Two female nurses, two friends, who both fought during the war, try desperately to find a meaning to their life. To emerge from their pain, grief, disillusionment, by having a child of their own. A daily struggle to survive. That's a gripping, powerful feature, but sso gloomy and certainly not for main audiences. Unfortunately.
7 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.