Reviews

The Goldbergs: Brief Encounter (1955)
Season Unknown, Episode Unknown
After 25 years of marriage, Molly is flattered by a stranger's attention
4 January 2018
This is one of the best episodes of The Goldbergs I have seen. I have been on a Goldbergs kick, and at this point I have seen 40 episodes so far out of the 71 episodes available on The Ultimate Goldbergs DVD Collection.

Molly has been having dental problems, so she goes into Manhattan three times a week. On her way there one morning, she meets a widower named Bernard who works as an accountant. They discover they both know the Bronx well, and they become friendlier with each trip Molly takes. Molly even has coffee in Manhattan with him. While she and Bernard are at the coffee shop, Molly's next door neighbor Daisy happens to be there too. Daisy visits Molly the next day and gently advises Molly not to jeopardize Jake's love and her family's love and respect for her as well. In a scene where the viewer gets to hear Molly's thoughts, it really shows how someone like Molly and for that matter how any of us could feel. She says her heart races when she hears a train whistle causing her to think of Bernard. She feels like she is a young girl feeling infatuated, experiencing those first feelings of lust and attraction to someone.

At the end, of course, Molly stops seeing this gentle and kind soul, but she does confide in Jake that it is necessary, even more necessary, after 25 years for him to tell her that he loves her.

This episode shows how perceptive Gertrude Berg was in being able to show how not just a Jewish middle-aged woman could feel but any of us.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
An excellent introduction and reminder of Gertrude Berg, a woman and genius sadly forgotten about today
11 December 2017
I won't rehash most of what has been written about this terrific film already, but there are some things I would have liked to have learned about from the filmmaker.

For example, the audience gets to see Gertrude Berg's grandson and granddaughter both being interviewed, but what happened to Berg's actual son and daughter? Had they passed away? Did they decline to be interviewed? {January 7, 2018: I discovered when reading Glenn D. Smith Jr.'s detailed and fascinating book "Something on My Own" Gertrude Berg and American Broadcasting 1929-1956 (2007) that her son Cherney and her daughter-in-law Dorothy both died in 2003 (as stated in the notes section in the back of the book on page 230). He also states that her daughter Harriet Berg-Schwartz also died in 2003 before his book was published (as stated in the preface). This explains why none of her children were shown speaking in the film itself.}

Another point not mentioned was that the FBI cleared Philip Loeb's communistic attack as false. His reputation was cleared not long after Loeb committed suicide. Why was that not included in the film?

I also found it surprising that there was NO mention of a Broadway musical starring Kaye Ballard called MOLLY which also featured Eli Mintz once again playing Uncle David. The musical ran on the Broadway stage at the Alvin Theater beginning September 27th for 40 previews to its opening on November 1st in 1973 for a total of 68 performances, later closing on December 29th. I know it may not be a lot of performances, but it is certainly worth mentioning.

I actually wanted to recommend to viewers to take the time to watch the film twice: once by itself and once with the audio commentary by Aviva Kempner, the filmmaker. It is filled with much information that added to my appreciation and enjoyment of learning about The Goldbergs and about Gertrude Berg.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Room 222: Operation Sandpile (1970)
Season 1, Episode 17
Is anyone of us merely average? Aren't we all average in some ways and above average in other ways?
27 November 2017
This was not an outstanding episode, but I felt it was interesting enough to write about it. The episode deals with Sara Olson, a C student, who feels that since she is average, she will someday end up getting a job before settling down to being a wife and mother. She doesn't see the value of history class and many other classes as well. When the principal starts a nursery staffed by volunteer students, he gets Sara more motivated so that she could be able to get a certificate in being an aide in a nursery until she does get married. Obviously today, a school might try even harder to offer more opportunities for a student to see, but this was 1969 according to the copyright date on the episode and the times were different.

When I was teaching, I often used this poem, which I feel really connects to Sara. Maybe someone who reads this post might share this poem with a student, their child, or someone at any age who feels they are invisible and not at all noticed or important.

"Average" (anonymous)

I don't cause teachers trouble.

My grades have been okay.

I listen in my classes.

And I'm in school every day.

My teachers say I'm average.

My parents think so too.

I wish I didn't know that.

'Cause there's lots I'd like to do.

I'd like to build a rocket.

I've a book that tells you how.

And start a stamp collection.

Well, no use in trying now.

'Cause since I found I'm average,

I'm just smart enough to see

It means there's nothing special

That I should expect of me.

Nobody ever sees me.

Because I'm in between.

Those two standard deviations.

On each side of the mean.

I'm part of the majority.

That "hump" part of the bell.

Who spends his life unnoticed.

In an "average" kind of hell.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Room 222: The Exchange Teacher (1969)
Season 1, Episode 14
Have you ever been lucky to have had a teacher who opened your eyes up in different ways?
16 November 2017
If you are lucky as a student, you get to have a teacher who likes to do things differently and wants students to think outside the box.

In this episode, an exchange teacher from England doesn't believe in having permanent seats, taking daily attendance, or assigning specific writing assignments. The teacher involves her creative writing students with the lyrics of the Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel. I recall one of my own Junior High School 194 English teachers Richard Greene doing the same thing with the lyrics of Simon and Garfunkel, and I recall the impression he and his class made on me since I too became an English teacher.

This episode ends not as happily as it should have. The teacher resigns and returns home, but the episode could have shown how she could have adjusted her style with the rules of Walt Whitman High School so both sides could be winners.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Room 222: Seventeen Going on Twenty-Eight (1969)
Season 1, Episode 13
How does a teacher handle a student who develops feelings for him or for her?
16 November 2017
Every teacher's worst nightmare is having a student develop feelings for them, and having those feelings develop into a situation that could jeopardize their career.

This episode shows rather innocently how a situation like that could be resolved all too easily, but in today's world in no way would it have gone down like that. Today, an accused teacher would be most likely removed from the school to a place like a district office when the situation and possible charges could be reviewed and then the teacher (if lucky and found to be innocent) would be allowed to return to his or her school, even it was under a cloud of suspicion. Too often an innocent teacher is sent to a new school instead.

This episode shows how handsome Pete Dixon, who is not even the teacher of the student who develops an interest in him, has to handle the situation with the student, the principal, and the guidance counselor, who is also Pete's love interest.

Even though the episode is 48 years old, some things never change over the years.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Room 222: Alice in Blunderland (1969)
Season 1, Episode 11
Neophyte Alice Johnson and the first episode of the series really showing Alice in her student teaching experience
15 November 2017
Student teaching in the past and today as well is an important time for someone who is thinking of pursuing a career in education. Some don't have the time to do it as they enter the profession years after college. Some pursue teaching coming from programs like The Teaching Fellows with a few months of preparation and then being thrown into the lion's den too often without proper support. Student teaching does show someone if they are cut out for the career, and if they are motivated and prepared to handle the incredible pressure and work load a good teacher has to face.

I was fortunate to have had a wonderful student teacher experience way back in 1984 in Snyder, New York at Amherst Central Senior High. My cooperating teacher was like Pete Dixon: encouraging, helpful, informative, and positive. He corrected me when I needed it, and encouraged me when things didn't go well. For many years during my own high school teaching career teaching English, I used to write to him every year about my experiences.

Over my own teaching career from 1987-2016, I had the good fortune to mentor 16 student teachers of my own. Overall, they were all excellent, and two of them were even able to acquire jobs at the high school where they student taught. One even had gone to that particular high school himself only a few years earlier.

In this episode, Alice Johnson is faced with handling Pete Dixon's class one day alone and then the next day having to perform in front of her college student teacher supervisor. The episode does show what we teachers have to face when beginning as neophytes. Will Alice succeed in her observation? Does she form her own style of teaching and discipline? Since I recall the character appeared for all five years of the series, I imagine she did succeed.

The episode made me smile and think back to my own first time standing in front of a class with my heart beating so quickly that I still recall how nervous I was. With the proper support and guidance, student teaching can help turn a person with a desire to teach into a professional who can really educate and motivate, despite the nonsense like the Common Core and Charlotte Danielson rubric forced down many educators' throats today.

Now happily retired, I still enjoy talking shop and hearing about the changes my colleagues have to face, but as much as I enjoyed my teaching career, I am thrilled it is over!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Room 222: Our Teacher Is Obsolete (1969)
Season 1, Episode 8
A reference to Valley of the Dolls made me laugh out loud
14 November 2017
This episode shows how much teaching has changed over the years.

An older spinster teacher who has created a class called Preparation for Marriage every day teaches her class reading aloud from her well crafted lesson plans. She doesn't engage her students in conversation until a substitute teacher shows her how active her students can be in class when they are allowed to be actively involved with the discussion.

When the principal gets involved since the students have organized a petition to have the original teacher replaced, the principal asks the substitute who is the school's guidance counselor (who really would never have been asked to substitute a class) "What did you do to her class yesterday? Read them Valley of the Dolls?" This made me laugh since Jacqueline Suzanne's novel was a ground-breaker in many ways, and it is still read, even if it is no longer shocking and influential.

In the end, the teacher begins to see that she can still teach the course she created, but now realizes that she must allow her students to be able to become part of the class as active not passive participants.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Room 222: Fathers and Sons (1969)
Season 1, Episode 10
This is an episode many teachers would fear happening today to their careers
14 November 2017
As every teacher knows, having a parent file a complaint against you can be the beginning of the ending of your career. I am a recently retired New York City Department of Education high school English teacher, having taught from 1987 until 2016, so I have some experience on what I am writing about.

In this episode, a student who thinks for himself and doesn't agree with everything his father, a doctor, thinks starts to argue with his parents, mostly with his father, about everything. The father decides to pursue disciplinary action against social studies teacher Pete Dixon for teaching subversive information to his students.

I have had friends who have been brought down to the principal's office to have discussions with parents who were upset or disturbed by something a teacher had to say or taught. The teachers in those cases were only doing what they should have been doing: opening their students' minds with all sides of an issue. One parent complained about one of my colleagues when she brought up the Oedipal Complex issue when teaching seniors Aldous Huxley's amazing novel BRAVE NEW WORLD (1932). After that confrontation, she decided to play it safe, omit the information from future teaching units, and not be as forthcoming in her desire to educate and inform. Sad to say but this is how we teachers have to work now.

At one point in the episode, Grady, the student who has run away from home, shows up at Mr. Dixon's home. Dixon invites him in, serves him milk and cookies, and convinces him to go home. They show up at the boy's home and his parents invite them both in and the issue begins to be resolved. NEVER in a million years would any teacher I know INVITE a student inside their home. Today, with all the allegations that could occur, you would have the student wait outside and then make a phone call in public. I don't think we would even ever drive them home ourselves - not unless you want any sexual allegations to start.

What I love about Room 222 is that it showed a black male teacher (a rarity) in a strong and admirable way. The series tried to tackle issues and present story-lines that showed how things were changing. I am watching the series now (after remembering it when I was a child) since the first two seasons out of five have been released on dvds.

Watching Boston Public several years ago and now watching Room 222, I am amused and amazed how some things have changed and some things have stayed the same.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
The Jane Powell Show (1961 TV Movie)
A singing Jane Powell and her 1961 unsold TV pilot
8 August 2017
I always find it fascinating to watch a TV pilot, whether it became a series or not. It is interesting to see Jane Powell, the soprano star of so many MGM musicals, here as a professor's wife. Russell Johnson, here almost as foreshadowing a few years earlier than his playing Professor Roy Hinkley on Gilligan's Island, plays a math college professor. The premise that they met and married after only knowing each other after one week is slim, providing the classic fish out of water story-line with Jane's character having to adjust to a non show business type life as a wife in academia. I wonder why the pilot failed to sell. It was up on You Tube, so a Jane Powell or Russell Johnson fan can view it.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: A Little Sleep (1957)
Season 2, Episode 38
A rare television appearance by singer Barbara Cook makes this a unique episode
24 July 2017
I don't want to rehash the plot of the episode here, but I would like to add some information about the singer Barbara Cook and the actor John Carlyle. If I had not seen the opening credits of the episode, I would never in a million years have known it was Barbara Cook, one of Broadway's most popular female musical ingenues of the 1950s and 1960s. She appeared in many musicals but probably was most famous for Candide, The Music Man, She Loves Me, and The Grass Harp. She was so thin and sexy here; I was amused to remember how on one of her many concert compact disc recordings she recalled looking back at photos of herself and realizing how pretty and shapely she had looked when younger once she became older. She poked fun at herself saying how foolish she had been to put herself down for thinking she was not as attractive as she was. I have had the good fortune to see Miss Cook at least four times in concert, and each performance was terrific, even the last one at Queens College about a year or two ago. At the age of 89, she recently retired from singing earlier this year (2017).

John Carlyle was an actor who never quite made it big. His biggest claim to fame was his connection to Judy Garland. He filmed scenes for Judy Garland's 1954 movie A Star is Born, but they were all deleted and left on the cutting room floor. He wrote a book called "Under the Rainbow: An Intimate Memoir of Judy Garland, Rock Hudson and My Life in Old Hollywood." It is an interesting look at his friendship which lasted until Judy's death in 1969, and it also focuses on his life as a gay actor in Hollywood when he was trying to become a star.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
The Alfred Hitchcock Hour: Consider Her Ways (1964)
Season 3, Episode 11
A compelling and fascinating look at the possible existence of the human race
17 February 2017
As I was watching "Consider Her Ways" of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, I thought to myself this seems more like an episode of Rod Serling's The Twilight Zone series. The music sounded similar, and the futuristic hospital settings reminded me of The Twilight Zone episodes "Eye of the Beholder" and "Number 12 Looks Just Like You." I wondered if I were watching a Twilight Zone episode I had never seen until I checked that it was indeed a Hitchcock presentation.

I now want to read the short story by John Wyndham to see how close this video version is to the written word. One of the best things about both shows was that they used original short stories often as source material.

I won't rehash the plot details here, but I was entranced by the acting and the story line including its definite Twilight Zone ending. I was hoping for one, and I wasn't sorry when it arrived. I would have been disappointed if there had not been one.

Most of Hitchcock's episodes were based more on reality than science fiction, which is what made this episode so unique.
The Witness (I) (2015)
A Powerful Documentary on a Kew Gardens Murder Case
25 November 2016
I just watched it and I suppose I will have to watch it again to double check, but I do not recall the filmmakers discussing her being raped before her friend and neighbor tried to comfort her in the vestibule. I do not recall the mention of any rape having occurred in the original articles I have read. If it wasn't mentioned, I wonder why it wasn't.

A second thing that surprised me was that the killer had said in previous statements that he was looking for any woman to kill and rape that night. Again, did I miss that statement? I thought it was an excellent documentary shedding new light on the case. I had read before that Kitty was a lesbian, but I never knew she had been married as well. I also didn't know that her family was from Brooklyn originally.

I found the recreation of Kitty's murder to be something I am not sure I would have included. On one hand, it does show how much closure her brother Bill might have needed to put this tragedy to bed finally, but it also took some of the power away from the film with its docudrama mentality.

I read online that Kitty did not die in the vestibule, but on her way to the hospital. I do not believe that was stated in the film either.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Land of the Giants: Wild Journey (1970)
Season 2, Episode 24
Can we change the past to alter our present?
16 November 2016
This is the penultimate episode made for the two year old series, and it is fun to see how it all began again due to its time travel theme. Time travel, often popular in science fiction, gives us the chance to go ahead and think "What if we could go back in time to change the future?" Well, as we know from so many time travel shows (Quantum Leap and the current Timeless, which I hope will survive), it is usually nearly impossible.

In this episode, Bruce Dern (Silent Running) and Yvonne Craig (Batgirl) play time travelers who are first seen also as little people. What is ironic is that they have the ability to change their sizes, so why are they placing themselves in danger at all? They could have changed their little people size to giant size since their assignment is to study the intelligence quotients of the giants on their world. To me, that is a gaping plot hole.

Another puzzling piece of the script is that Craig threatens Steve and Dan while they are in the airport V.I.P. waiting lounge on September 25, 1983 (not the original date given in the pilot episode which is September 12th). Craig states, "If all seven of you, the entire passenger list, the crew, and that dog are not on board flight 612, it will be disastrous. The flight will still crash, but this time there will be no survivors." Earlier the whole point made is that history can not be changed. However, if the Sprindrift castaways would not survive the crash, then wouldn't many of the lives of the giants be altered too? I think this is a plot hole worth noticing.

It is fun to see Mrs. Irwin Allen (Sheila Matthews) back again for a second appearance. This time here she plays the role of Ms. Collier.

This is an interesting episode since it is not one of the many episodes centered on the castaways being captured by giants and then having to escape back to the safety of their camp.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Land of the Giants: The Marionettes (1970)
Season 2, Episode 23
King Kong and the song "Be a Clown" visit the Land of the Giants
28 October 2016
In this episode a puppeteer is injured trying to help Betty who is caught in a trap. The puppeteer has injured his hand rescuing them. Therefore, as a way to help him, Betty and Fitzhugh assist him in his audition as the most modern and most human like marionettes ever created. As one might suspect, Steve, who has offered his help in creating a more professional act, and Fitzhugh, due to his knowledge of marionettes, help the puppeteer to become the success he hopes to be.

This is a rather predictable episode which uses many examples of popular culture. Twice in this episode, Bobo a gorilla does his version of King Kong when he captures Valerie, not once but twice. Then Betty and Fitzhugh "as marionettes" sing and dance to Cole Porter's 1948 song "Be a Clown" (written for the Judy Garland-Gene Kelly musical THE PIRATE.) Heather Young actually possesses a pretty singing voice.

I now see that Janos Prohaska makes another appearance in his gorilla suit as Bobo. He was first seen as a gorilla in the DUMBEST episode of the series called "Comeback."

It is an enjoyable episode overall. Barry's only appearance is at the end when our castaways are watching the puppeteer's new and improved show. So, where has Barry been the whole time?
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Land of the Giants: A Small War (1970)
Season 2, Episode 22
A Child is Waiting to Help...
27 October 2016
This was actually one of the more believable episodes where a child named Alek thinks he is playing with toys until he realizes that Dan is bleeding as Betty finally gets the child to comprehend that they are living creatures like himself but only smaller.

At one point, Captain Burton decides that the castaways should camouflage the Sprindrift with leaves and vines. Sure, you have an orange colored spaceship, and NOW you decide to try to camouflage it? That is a weak plot point that should have been put into play at the start of the series. Wouldn't that have made logical sense to protect the location of their only source of safety?

At the end of the episode, the father accepts way too quickly that he will never catch the little people. He also gives up trying to catch Steve who had been flying the plane as well. I can suspend my disbelief as often as anyone, but plot holes like these amaze me, even for a 1970 episode of television. There always has to be a logic behind a script.

As always, it is fun to see other science fiction actors like Charles Drake pop up in this series. He was in the Star Trek episode "The Deadly Years."
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Land of the Giants: Doomsday (1970)
Season 2, Episode 21
How to stop a bomb threat in less than an hour...
26 October 2016
This episode is another one where our castaways risk their lives to help a giant. After that one particular giant dies, the episode is all about them trying to help the S.I.D. to stop a bomb terrorist plot that will kill half a million people.

I found a few plot holes which need answers. The first is why doesn't the bomb set by Dr. North kill the little people when it is in such an enclosed space?

The second is how does Pedro the chimp find the Sprindrift on his own at the end of the episode? Now that he knows the location of the Sprindrift, wouldn't that make him a danger since he could come back and then endanger the seven castaways?

For trivia fans, the S.I.D. guard who finds the bomb is Tom Drake, the boy next door that Judy Garland sings about in the 1944 classic MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS.

It is also a kick to see Francine York from the Lost in Space episode THE COLONISTS here as Dr. North/Dr. Grier.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Land of the Giants: Panic (1970)
Season 2, Episode 19
Jack Albertson Tries to Help the Little People
25 October 2016
This was a fun little episode where Betty finally gets a great deal of screen time. It is true that most of the lines given to Betty could have been easily given to Valerie, but it's nice to see Heather Young getting to do more than usual.

Again, this episode shows that not all the giants were enemies of the little people as Jack Albertson's character might even have been able to send them back to Earth. His teleportation device had a weight limit of 5,000 pounds which could have sent all seven castaways and perhaps the Sprindrift home too.

Ironically, Betty is back, but there is no sign of Barry and Chipper in the episode.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Land of the Giants: The Deadly Dart (1970)
Season 2, Episode 20
This episode has at least one plot hole I am trying to figure out
25 October 2016
The name of this episode is "The Deadly Dart" and is also known as "The Retaliator."

I am confused here by two plot holes. Why was Mark sent into the air with one of Swan's arrows? If it was Swan himself, why?

Then later how was Mark captured by Sargent Barker, who was the killer at the end? Was there a scene missing from this episode? How was he captured? When?

Okay, now for some clarification, at the end of the episode, Sargent Barker stated that Mark was captured when he was caught snooping around S.I.D. Headquarters, but the television viewer is not shown that scene which was probably never filmed.

It is always fun to see 1960s actors and actresses from other series at the time make appearances on this show. Madlyn Rhue, who appeared in the STAR TREK episode SPACE SEED as Khan's Enterprise accomplice, is seen here as as Bertha Frye, the news reporter.

Irwin Allen's use of recycling props is show in this episode too. The teleport device used by Jack Albertson in the previous episode "Panic" appears to have been used as the magnetic device in the cave. It is as a previous reviewer stated strangely out of place in this episode.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Land of the Giants: The Secret City of Limbo (1970)
Season 2, Episode 18
Mysterious Underground Society of the Land of the Giants
23 October 2016
It is fun to see so many 1960s actors from Star Trek and Lost in Space popping up in Land of the Giants episodes. Malachi Throne, who appeared in "The Menagerie" on Star Trek and "The Thief from Outer Space" on Lost in Space, is seen here as an underground survivor running in an election to rule the underground society. I also recognized General Aza as Joseph Ruskin from his voice; he appeared as Galt in the Star Trek episode "Gamesters of Triskelion."

Interesting episode with one surprising scene. At one point, Captain Steve Burton, in an out of character moment, decides to give up rescuing Fitzhugh and Valerie due to a possible war on the surface that may commence. It just doesn't jive with his usual behavior.

At least, it is nice to see Betty back again as a series regular!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Land of the Giants: Pay the Piper (1970)
Season 2, Episode 17
Jonathan Harris visits the Land of the Giants
21 October 2016
This episode leans more towards fantasy than science fiction overall.

It was nice to see Jonathan Harris play such a different character from his Dr. Zachary Smith from LOST IN SPACE in this episode. It is also a kick to hear so many of the sound effects used from LOST IN SPACE here too.

Once again, Fitzhugh becomes more and more like Dr. Smith in his greedy and self centered ways to get back home.

The series also seems more complete now that Betty seems to be back again (hopefully permanently). At one point, when the others leave the Senator's home, Betty has mysteriously disappeared, but then rejoins the others. Where had she gone is never explained.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Land of the Giants: Our Man O'Reilly (1969)
Season 2, Episode 15
A Wee Bit of the Blarney...
19 October 2016
Good old Jonas Grumby/the Skipper from Gilligan's Island (Alan Hale) makes an appearance as O'Reilly in this episode. He believes the little people are Leprechauns; since he is afraid they will put a curse on him, he assists them in acquiring supplies to help them return home.

It is interesting how the planet of the giants is so similar, even down to its Irish superstitions and folklore. It seems clear that their planet also has its own version of Ireland!

It is nice to see Betty back again since she will be absent once again in the next episode NIGHTMARE. She is actually seen in many scenes throughout the episode.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Land of the Giants: Nightmare (1970)
Season 2, Episode 16
The Power and Danger of Delta Radiation...
18 October 2016
This is an okay episode all about the effects of possible radiation. I agree with previous reviewers that this episode has a TWILIGHT ZONE feel to it, and it at least tries to define itself with some scientific logic.

Once again, no mention of Betty at all. Amazing!

Also, Fitzhugh becomes more and more selfish as the series progresses. He becomes more and more like Dr. Smith as each episode passes. He endangers the lives of the others for his selfish gain.

One last point about Inspector Kobick is that he surprises me when he doubts the reports of Dr. Berger. You would figure that any way to capture the little people would be his utmost priority and he would do everything and anything to accomplish that goal.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Land of the Giants: Home Sweet Home (1969)
Season 2, Episode 14
Time Travel Theme is Used Once Again
17 October 2016
This was a fun episode like the one on LOST IN SPACE where Will Robinson goes back to an earlier time period on Earth as well. The episode even uses the LOST IN SPACE space-pod.

One point I liked about this episode is the continuity that an allusion was made to the time travelers' (the space-pod) ship from a previous episode A PLACE CALLED EARTH. It shows some logic how the space-pod has now appeared, even though no explanation of why our castaways have never found it earlier is made.

As usual, Fitzhugh shows the stupidity and greediness he has demonstrated before, being the Dr. Smith of this series.

In this episode, Valerie's character (now seemingly the only female since Betty has "vanished" once again due to Heather Young's pregnancy) has little to do but prepare and serve lunch and be worried about the missing Barry and Dan. Ah, the sexist days of the 1960s.

All in all, this episode has a time travel theme and the usual being captured by a giant plot line, so it is more unique than some of the others.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Land of the Giants: Land of the Lost (1969)
Season 2, Episode 13
Up, Up, and Away in My Beautiful, My Beautiful Balloon...
16 October 2016
This episode is one of those episodes where fantasy is more in the mix than science fiction. It is silly episode which requires a viewer to suspend one's disbelief even more than usual.

Our castaways are said to be traveling 500 miles per hour in an air balloon going against the wind current. Oh, sure! They are traveling to a society on the other side of the ocean that is inferior to the other side where our castaways are from, yet they also have computers.

Interesting allusion to THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939) where an hourglass is used to gamble with someone's life. When the sand runs out, death will be imminent.

No Betty once again. The producers could have filmed a few insert shots to be placed into episodes if they wanted to establish some continuity of characters.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Land of the Giants: A Place Called Earth (1969)
Season 2, Episode 12
Time Travelling From the Year 5477
16 October 2016
It was nice to see Betty back in an episode, and it is obvious that the actress Heather Young was still pregnant.

It was fun to see Warren Stevens as "Olds." As I watched the episode, I kept telling myself I knew him from somewhere else. Then it finally dawned on me that it was from the old STAR TREK episode "By Any Other Name" where the crew of the Enterprise is reduced to chemical blocks. He also was in the MGM classic FORBIDDEN PLANET.

It was also a kick to see and hear so many LOST IN SPACE sound effects and even to see the LOST IN SPACE space pod used too. You have to give Irwin Allen credit for his clever use of recycling whenever he could!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!