Reviews

Better than expected
14 April 2018
I watched it on dvd and I was surprised how fast paced and hot this terrorism thriller was. I liked also the many filming locations. The story is well written and is nonstop entertaining. The director did an excellent job here. The action scenes and special effects were executed respectably. I can recommend it to anyone who likes films of this genre. Solid 7/10. Don't miss the other terrorist movies The Lone Survivor or American Sniper.
Jungle (I) (2017)
Hope and courage for surviving the jungle
6 April 2018
I bought the dvd because the reviews were high rated here. I think it's worth a watch. It shows values on hope and encouragement in a very desperate situation to survive the jungle. It works for an adventure hell trip into an underestimated journey. What impressed me the most was how under new friends can develop quickly a very helpful relation. Daniel Radcliffe delivered his best performance so far. He was great. 6/10 If you liked it you may try The Revenant or Gravity. Both movies have a survival aim. Read my reviews.
Anthropoid (2016)
One of the best II world war stories shown
2 April 2018
It was amazing how this true story has been told in each detail. This is a great work and respect to all the staff. All the actors delivered solid performance and I want to see them again all in other films. It was never boring and i know now better what really happened at this very important assault to a high Nazi leader. The setting and atmosphere were perfectly created. God bless all the opponents who lost their lives. Don't miss it if you like war history. 8/10
The Revenant (2015)
Wonderful pictures from the wild landscapes
2 April 2018
I heard from friends that this film would contain some brutal scenes. Then I thought I will be bored cause of the long running time. Well, there were so many adventure and wonderful pictures that kept all the time my attention. The best was the bear attack I have never seen before. Leonardo Di Caprio delivered again an outstanding performance for which finally he won the Oscar. Congratulations and thank you to all the staff for this masterpiece. 7/10.
Gravity (2013)
Not a science fiction but close to reality
1 April 2018
Be ready to start with Gravity an emotional and dramatic space story close to reality. I watched it on the flight from New York to Zurich by seat screen. With great special effects this movie kept all the running time my attention. It was never boring and as in The Martian the ingredients brought together a nonstop stunning trip in the universe around of our planet. See it and surprise yourself. 7/10.
Darkest Hour (2017)
The best performance from Gary Oldman so far
27 March 2018
I had the chance to watch Darkest Hour on the flight to New York by seat screen. I was very impressed by the great performance of Gary Oldman. The physical transformation in Winston Churchill looks incredibly real. I felt to be in the history. Congratulations to all the staff. 7/10.
American Made (2017)
Not a must see
27 March 2018
I put this thriller on my watchlist. Then I had the chance to see it on the flight to New York by seat screen. It is an akay movie and Tom Cruise delivered an entertaining performance. It shows only the story of pilot Barry Seal. My rate is 6/10.

To understand better what happened with Pablo Escobar in the Columbian drug war in the 80ies I highly recommend you to check out the great Netflix series Narcos. You won't regret.
Dunkirk (2017)
Very disappointing and too overrated
27 March 2018
I watched this movie on a flight to New York by seat screen. I was so disappointed by the very poor action. Even the story gave nothing substantial to me so that finally I felt asleep. I am happy I didn't spent a cent nor wasted time. i cannot still believe how director Christopher Nolan and his crew could create this catastrophical work. See instead Saving Private Ryan or The Band Brothers mini series. It deserves no doubt 1/10.
The Foreigner (2017)
Great action thriller
17 March 2018
I spent a very entertaining evening with my wife. From begin i was never bored with this fast paced thriller directed by Martin Campbell. The settings are well chosen and the special effects well executed. I liked how Jacky Chan fulfilled his revenge. I liked Pierce Brosnan too. Then, there were also some funny scenes that we laughed a lot. The soundtrack could have been better but this is just a little detail. For the first time since long time I didn't want that the movie finished. It deserves a solid 8/10 and the dvd will find a nice place in my best of collection.
The Grey (2011)
Dramatic survival movie
10 March 2018
The Grey is sure not one of the top movies I have seen recently. This survival thriller starring Liam Neeson offers anyway enough ingredients to enjoy an entertaining evening. The special effects were well developed and the filming locations offers the right atmosphere for a dramatic countdown. 6/10.
Atomic Blonde (2017)
Great and surprising thriller with Charlize Theron
10 March 2018
I have to admit that I have never seen before such a great action thriller starring a woman in a main role. Charlize Theron was very cool and sexy. I was very surprised how real these fight scenes were executed. She was in one word perfect. I hope there will be soon a sequel. It lets great potential to stick this successful thriller. 7/10. I highly recommend to see the other top spy thriller Red Sparrow with Jennifer Lawrence.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Commuter (2018)
Again a very intense thriller with Liam Neeson
10 March 2018
I enjoyed a great entertaining evening with my friend. Liam Neeson was as usual very cool in his role. The story kept guessing during the running time what would happen next. It has fast pace and lot of action scenes. It deserves a solid 7/10. If you liked it watch Non Stop from the same director and with Liam Neeson in the main role.
Red Sparrow (2018)
Better than expected
10 March 2018
As usual I verify the reviews of new interesting thriller in the medias before I pay to watch a movie. This time it worked again. Hollywood is doing recently better qualitative blockbusters. But I waited longtime. Red Sparrow is a masterpiece of Russian espionage. The story is very interesting and I was never bored and my friend too. Jennifer Lawrence played damn good as the other actors. Congratulations to the director and music composer for this great work. Don't miss it. 7/10. If you liked it see my other top choice Atomic Blonde.
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
True story with high emotions
2 December 2017
I am very interested in movies about the last world war. What makes me sad is how brutal the chase was against Jewish people and children. This true story let since long time again tears in my eyes. I mean Patrick Bruel and the two boys played their roles very convincingly and with lot of passion. The filming locations in Nice and Savoie have been well presented. I liked it very much and it was never boring. There were lot of turns and some painful scenes that touched me a lot. Christian Dugay directed this historical remake with full of attention and respect. I didn't see the first one but the last is perhaps even better than the original version.

If you liked this genre of movie don't miss Der Letzte Zug, Son of Soul, Die Fâlscher, The Pianist, Sarah's Key or Elser. If you are interested read my critics on this site for all these mentioned great movies.

1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Mummy (2017)
It was really not necessary to create this film
26 November 2017
I expected much more intelligence in developing this mummy movie. I was wrong. Hey, how it is possible that Tom Cruise and Russell Crowe decided to appear in this mess? The story went over from one scene to the other without any emotions. Some sequences were ridiculous and illogical when you know what I mean now. One star I give to the good special effects. The second star to the fine music, the third for the nice location, music and atmosphere. Finally, the fourth one is for I didn't felt asleep. All In all disappointing and no substance, just a great disaster. A film that never should have been done! Save your money and see therefore the best Mummy movie from director Stephen Sommers.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unlocked (I) (2017)
Interesting details on terrorism
26 November 2017
I was surprised how dynamic this terrorism story was told. I mean there were some interesting elements that opened my eyes wide. I don't wanna spoil these points out. If you have really nothing to do this cat and mouse thriller is worth a watch. There are many intriguing plots filled with action and suspense. Perhaps some parts of the spy bloc, M15 or CIA could be presented in a less complex way. Unlocked shows clearly that this terror attacks could happen one day somewhere on our planet. I don't hope of course but it let me thinking for a while. There could be easily a sequel with Noomi Rapace. She was great and I liked her very much in this role. My wife gave 5 and me 7 out of ten = 6/10.

If you liked this I recommend to see the other terrorism thrillers THE SUM OF ALL FEARS, WHITE HOUSE DOWN or OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Average thriller
19 November 2017
If you have nothing to do and you want to spend an entertaining moment this could work. The story begins guessing what will happen next and it offers to the audience suspense too . The revenge plan from the daughter is well developed and the scenarios are well chosen. There are many action and combat scenes that makes The Hunter's Prayer a fast paced thriller. My wife gave 7 and me 6 out of 10 = 6.5/10.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Kidnap (2017)
Underrated thriller
13 November 2017
The trailer and the story convinced me so far that I had to buy this DVD. And I didn't regret it because it is a real nail biter that took even my breath away until the end. Halle Berry was perfect in this so emotional mother role. Kidnap is one of the rare movies that is better than all other average or bad movies that came out this year. If you want to spend a suspense evening give this a chance. Together with my wife I give a solid 7/10. If you like this genre of films don't miss Trapped or Panic Room.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Keanu Reeves saved this sequel from a complete disaster
9 November 2017
After all the positive reviews here I thought this sequel must be better than chapter one. Far away. The first I liked better because the character of John Wick was filled with much more emotions than in the last one. I mean I missed in the second part more revenge feeling to make me real hot. I saw lot of type of arms and tons of bullets thrown away. The combat scenes were executed therefore with high precision. On the other side I expected a more intelligent and suspense story. I can definitely not recommend it except you are a fan of Keanu Reeves. He played John Wick really cool. All in all I am disappointed. Lucky I rented it for 6$ on Google Play. 5/10. Sorry, I will not see the third wick, sorry. Watch instead Taken, The Equalizer or Rambo.
Interesting South Korean History
4 November 2017
I discovered this spy and war movie in the list of Liam Neeson's work. Then I read the reviews here and I thought it is a must see. I wasn't disappointed at all because there was nonstop lot of twists and action. The special and visual effects were respectably executed. It was a great experience for me to see what happened in the very decisive moment in Korea. The historical lines between North and South Korea makes the Chromite Operation a worth seeing film. I recommend to see it in the original version spoken Korean and English, it's more realistic. God bless all the courageous victims who fought against the red murder commando. 7/10.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Narcos (2015– )
Narcos hit my heart
3 November 2017
Narcos was a great and in a way emotional adventure trip that broke my heart. Despite many violence and bloody scenes it offers top entertainment and non stop adrenaline. The best I liked was the very excellent performance of Wagner Moura, Pedro Pascal and all the other actors that played their roles cool and very credible. I want to thank all of you, each of you deserved an Oscar or other kind of awards. I am thinking already to watch it again. The intro song is always very nice to hear. It gives those mini series the right atmosphere and kick to start the Narcos thrill. 10/10. If you liked this genre of series you shouldn't miss Breaking Bad.
Elser (2015)
Authentic movie based on a true story
1 October 2017
I liked how this movie was told. It's a great experience seeing this retrospective. The actor who played Georg Elser delivered a very respectable job. The message he tried to transmit to the Nazis wasn't understood unfortunately. He was a very clever and courageous man. We should never forget him even if his plan failed. Just imagine what happened to all the humanity if Adolf Hitler lost his life in the bomb attack. The locations were well developed and I felt really to be in the scene. Watch it, you won't regret. 7/10.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good explanation with real great visual effects
17 September 2017
I wanted to give it a chance on DVD. The reviews here were promisingly. The story begins slowly introducing well the main characters of this ecological drama. The pace gets faster until the big disaster happened. I was very impressed by the great special effects on the platform and underwater. I mean all the details were realized so real that I felt to be directly in the catastrophe. Congratulations to all the specialists and especially director Peter Berg that created an authentic documentation based on true events. I hope this nightmare will never happen again. Then I liked very much the outstanding performance of Marc Wahlberg, Kurt Russell and John Malkovitch. At the end my vote and the one of my wife matches nearly 7 /10 with the rating of IMDb.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Begins promisingly but then disappoints
2 September 2017
I hoped A Cure for Wellness could work for an above average film but I was wrong. It began interesting with nice pictures from the Swiss alps. It was mysterious and the castle amazing cold. The atmosphere was well developed but the story ends disappointing. I think the writer could have give this movie a better end. I mean it lacks intelligence and some creativity to save this mystery thriller some how. The actors therefor did all a great job here and I am curious to see them in other hopefully better films next time. My wife and me gave together 4/10 (my wife 2 and me 6).

Watch instead The Ninth Gate or Gothika.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Elle (I) (2016)
Too overrated and disappointing
20 August 2017
I checked this out when it came in the theaters. I had really great luck not having seen it on the great screen. Instead I bought the DVD very cheap. A reviewer wrote that this story lacks of cleverness. I agree with him totally. Which woman wouldn't call the police if she has been raped or even hurt dangerously. This is an example why Elle let me without any special emotions or suspense. At the end I can only say that was it and I will never see it again. Save the money for a much better movie in the cinema. If you are interested in this genre of film I recommend to see Don't Breath, The General's Daughter or 8mm. Too overrated here: 5/10
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this