Reviews

1,726 Reviews
Distressing but engrossing
18 May 2019
This isn't exactly a fun watch, but it's definitely an engrossing, well-told film with some deadly turns.
Little Woods (2018)
Really well done
12 May 2019
This is a subtle, slow-burn drama with two fantastic lead performances at its core. Recommended.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good but disappointing
27 April 2019
In many ways what this film does is to be respected, yet many of its scenes are also messy and get to be too convoluted.
13 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good yet disappointing
27 April 2019
On one hand, this was to be much respected for the approach it took, and yet on another, all of the time-traveling becomes kind of messy and convvoluted.
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Danzón (1991)
Pretty fantastic
24 April 2019
I had no real expectations for this but it was definitely worth a viewing, and it's really well-filmed.
High Life (2018)
Fascinating and challenging
19 April 2019
This was certainly more of an arthouse film than I anticipated, and I very much loved that.
1 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually beautiful
14 April 2019
There's no doubt that the film's cinematography is fantastic, but the rest of the film was merely good in my opinion.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shazam! (2019)
What a ton of fun!
13 April 2019
This was a very entertaining, super fun, much better-written film than it had any right to be. What a blast, and the cast is marvelous!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Apollo 11 (2019)
Majestic
29 March 2019
A year after First Man, this film continues to hold our fascination with the moon landing that happened in 1969.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Capernaum (2018)
Effective
26 March 2019
This is an effective film, but it's really harrowing and of course not a fun watch at all, so be warned.
Fantastic acting
26 March 2019
The most impressive thing about this film is the acting, most notably Jonah Hill in a masterful supporting performance.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Us (2019)
Thrilling, audacious, and wildly ambitious
22 March 2019
This is yet another incedible effort by Jordan Peele, who is becoming a master at social critiques through the horror genre.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Climax (I) (2018)
What a living nightmare feels like
17 March 2019
Wow, this was an intoxicating experience. It's by no means flawless. Some of the snippets of the conversations between the characters went on for far too long. I would agree with Jack that the character work wasn't very strong, but I also felt that it didn't need to be. We got a very surface level look into the characters and for this film that was enough. Amazing dance sequences, cinematography, and sound design. Some of the directorial choices (e.g., the opening "end credits," the name titles appearing in the middle of the film, the ending) I wasn't sure how to feel about, but it certainly made the entire thing even more interesting. Overall, it literally felt like the film experience of what a "living nightmare" would be like. Certainly an experience to remember. Also, very strong acting. The entire cast was up to the task and they delivered.

The only other Gaspar film I had seen was Enter the Void, and while I thought that was a worthwhile experience, it went on for far too long and is not nearly as enjoyable as this.
Border (2018)
Poetic and lyrical
12 March 2019
This is a fascinating film with many standout moments. It's unpredictable, yet also easy to follow in a straight-forward way.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic conclusion
3 March 2019
This is a fantastic conclusion to one of the best animated series of this century, it will be missed.
Free Solo (2018)
The strive for self-perception
24 February 2019
This is a fantastic film with so much going on underneath the surface, with one of the most fascinating subjects under its microscope.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mirai (2018)
Lovely
19 February 2019
I really didn't have much expectations for this, but it turned out to be a very emotional, very well told story.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic work by Saoirse Ronan
18 February 2019
Woah. It's a real shame the editing of this film is really messy and disjointed, because it feels like with much better editing and pacing it could have been truly great. As it is, I actually think it's a good, albeit super flawed, film. The first half was super disjointed while still entertaining, but the second half really elevated the entire film. It's just a super entertaining, twisted ride filled with countless betrayals and backstabbing. In many ways it is a hot mess, but it's still super watchable and entertaining and I think the acting from the entire cast is incredibly strong. I kept hearing about Margot Robbie, but it's again Saoirse Ronan who impresses. By this point we all know her talent, but she brings such passion and force to the role. It's a real shame the film around her isn't stronger because if it had been I believe she would've been an Oscar nominee and I could have also seen this as her winning role. It's certainly a tour-de-force, and even with the amazing year we had with lead female performances, she should've gotten way more mentions. I mean, Cate Blanchett herself got the nomination for Elizabeth: The Golden Age for a much worse film, why couldn't Saoirse!?
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shoplifters (2018)
Its power is undeniable
12 February 2019
Another film in the long list of amazing foreign films this past year, Shoplifters has an undeniable power that stings and leaves a mark.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually gorgeous
3 February 2019
The animation in this film is outstanding. It's subtle and beautiful in its designs, with a musical score and cinematography that is sure to marvel audiences. This is highly recommended.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mesmerizing
30 January 2019
This film won't be for everyone, but it has such a distinct style, truly capturing and faithfully representing Van Gogh's life. Don't miss it.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very entertaining
21 January 2019
This is definitely very entertaining and very funny, yet also very dark and bitter at times. It's definitely not for everyone.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not terrible, but problematic
16 January 2019
This film is similar to Green Book. It's actually not a "terrible" film in terms of filmmaking- there are some good scenes, especially the music ones, and I do think the acting is worth it. But it's not a particularly good film either, as the script is lacking in any real substance. It tries to chronicle an entire journey but doesn't hit many of its targets with any real meaning. It's shallow and all surface-based, although it's not boring.

But that would have been enough to critique if it wasn't for how problematic and offensive it is. The film really does try to portray anything related with his sexuality in a negative light. In one of its most offensive scenes, during the section where Freddie is acting out, there's a montage of him circling dark corridors for men and sex. The film paints everyone straight as positive and everything related to his sexuality as negative. I don't think it was intentional, but it is telling and it doesn't matter. Rami Malek really does deliver some great work, but it's a miracle he's able to with so much mediocrity and problems around him. Freddie Mercury (and Rami Malek) deserved so much better.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really good
12 January 2019
This is the most Chloe Moretz has ever impressed me since kick-Ass, so that is a real accomplishment.
Vice (I) (2018)
Average
8 January 2019
The best thing about this are the performances, as the editing is pretty bad itself and needed work.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.