Reviews

1,881 Reviews
Perfect doc for a perfect singer.
17 September 2019
"I had a galvanised voice: I could sing through a 105 fever or a flu or a root canal or anything that you could throw at me." Linda Ronstadt

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice is a perfect documentary about a rock star: It's not the confessional like David Crosby: Remember My Name, not fanciful about Bruce Springsteen in Blinded by the Light, nor romantic like the Beatles' almost-tribute Yesterday.

It is authentic about the titular gifted lady, who could step into any genre easily, and who could win the audience's heart without falsification.

To hear her sing Different Drum is to be hurtled back to the '60's and '70's when a good folk-rock song could make you believe that women were empowered: "All I'm saying is I'm not ready/For any person, place, or thing to try and pull the reins in on me-e-e-e-e." When you see her, Dolly, and Emmy sing together, you want more, and you forget how tough it was to break through the male-dominated rock scene.

Directors Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman deftly guide the audience through the small lives of friends as well as the big musical moments that define Linda's life. As she guides herself through light opera and Mexican music, we can't help but be further curious while respecting her we'll-earned privacy. That the Mexican album sold the most for Spanish-speaking albums in history is testament to her ability to do well whatever she wanted to do.

This doc is exemplary for giving some lengthy time watching Linda sing as well as just right for the biographical information and talking-head commentary. Her acceptance of Parkinson's disease later in life is another testament to a woman of courage. In fact, there are more achieving women in this doc than in Wonder Woman.

"I miss singing every day. I can't sing anymore. My voice doesn't work. I have Parkinson's disease, and it sometimes takes my words away from me." Linda Ronstadt

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice is all you need to know about her and her music. Enjoy.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's an entertaining, humorous, and poignant race.
16 September 2019
"Grit is living life like it's a marathon, not a sprint." Angela Duckworth

As self-empowerment sagas, Brittany Runs a Marathon is near the head of the line: Brittany (Jillian Bell) starts out thinking of improvement to her body, her love life, and her ambition. It's a heavy load, and Bell, together with writer/director Paul Downs Colalzzo, is up to the task of being overweight and diffident with a cache of one liners and overall sense of humor to make up for her flaws and endear herself to just about anyone else, especially us.

The film is adept at not ramming through the big transformation, which in inevitable, a part of the formula for these comedies with overweight and hung-up ladies of considerable charm and talent. The film allows Brittany to proceed at her own pace, signified by the slow release of 35 pounds and a will to improve. (Let's hear it for her bodysuit.) The virtue here is allowing her to stumble and get up again with a quiet sense of humor rarely seen in a comedy/drama.

As in life, the transformation is slow and fraught with setbacks; yet we can at that pace better experience her real-life struggles as they are entertaining and occasionally eccentric. When she comes to redemption, she's like a family member we desperately want to succeed. The big success will be the NYC Marathon, where she and 50,000 others will mostly hope just to finish.

Likewise, Brittany hopes to finish her exercise initiative without a fanfare her friends promote. Like most of us, she just wants to get it over with (both the race and the regimen). Brittany is an everyman/woman with dreams that just don't come easily.

The beauty of this comedy/drama is the lack of big payoff in any endeavor, especially NYC, where so many compete on so many levels. Brittany is a solid citizen with a sense of humor that she loses mostly in the serious part of her adventure toward the end, even though I can't correlate this attitude with my experience, in which many overweight friends don't lose that sense of humor even in the most downbeat circumstances.

Just run along with her and enjoy her humor and mood swings and her engaging set of friends, most of whom have learned how to race life's marathon.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unforgettable doc about an unforgettable rocker.
10 September 2019
"We don't take show business or the spotlight seriously." David Crosby

David Crosby: Remember My Name is a formidable doc about an unforgettable rocker, he of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young from the late '60's and early '70's fame right up to a current tour of six concerts, through which A.J. Eaton directs our attention to his life.

It doesn't hurt one bit to have Cameron Crowe produce, he of music- criticism and Crosby-expert fame. Be careful, do not expect the buffet of songs such as in the recent Rocketman, Yesterday, or Blinded by the Light. Although snippets of glories like Teach the Children Well appear, this is Crosby's story as he reacts to the past and the present, not playing a concert for us.

Thankfully so, for he is honest about this musical success and the failures in equal number from responsibility for splitting the band up to drug-dependency that leads him to incarceration. That he recovers to the point of playing this tour and displaying an ardent love for wife, Jan, as well as being clean, is testimony to why this is such an absorbing doc, with all the failures illuminating his strength of will and enduring talent.

Eaton makes the story fluid, even with many flash backs, no doubt having learned from Crowe how to jockey headstrong rock stars into approachable cinema stars. The dominance of Crosby's narration in this doc makes the story believable, indeed almost uncontested truth. When Crosby confesses his responsibility for causing turmoil in the band's history, he is believable and dramatically compelling. When he tosses off the possibility of his making up some of the narrative, such fiction doesn't seem believable while it also rings true. Cinema verité marries fiction.

Nevertheless, no one can forget the confessions of this great rocker after seeing one of the best docs in recent times.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Almost 3 hours of horror and allegory: challenging and entertaining.
8 September 2019
"For 27 years, I dreamt of you. I craved you... I've missed you!" Pennywise (Bill Skarsgard)

It Chapter Two, set in quaint and vulnerable Derry, Maine, is one crowded horror film. And that's saying something as it is the sequel to the already revered It by Stephen King. It has enough horror tropes such as jump scares, surprises, and toothy, reptilian monsters to keep the almost three hours humming.

However, enough is enough. After twenty-seven years from their introduction to the scary Pennywise (Bill Skarsgard), the Losers Club must return to face the horrific clown, and they hope, destroy It. Fortunately screenwriter Gary Dauberman and director Andy Muschietti include enough allegorical heft to keep this horror rampage from being just a visually hot mess.

That the club must individually shed its fears and weaknesses to defeat the clown is both a strength and a weakness: strong because allegorically we all have to do this purging to be mentally healthy, and weak because isolating the club members weakens understanding of their development relative to each other and their consuming past. In other words, they are better at self-reflection facing each other, and therefore their past, than going it alone.

Only too obvious is the film's attempt to show how some memories, not always favored ones, linger for decades, powerful enough to draw the initial gang back to end the reign of the ghoulish clown. At various times a magnificent seven of them crowd the screen with their long-suffering hang ups such as cowardice and guilt, all in need of purgation.

King's Carrie and Pet Sematary, two of my favs, are careful to keep the protagonists to a minimum whereas It Chapter Two weighs It down with minimal but provocative leitmotifs, e.g., Beverly's (Jessica Chastain) abusive father or Bill's (James McAvoy) relationship with his deceased brother. Any one of these concepts could be fleshed out at the expense of more trifling ones.

As in many action films, even with super heroes, the now commonplace theme of being who you are with courage gets overused as it does here. Compounding the sense of having seen it before are numerous monstrous visions, with sharp teeth and tentacled arms and legs for just a few of the stock monsters. Granted these are all manifestations of Pennywise's ability to shape shift and the writers to locate character flaws in the characters.

It Chapter Two may suffer from trying too much, but, hey, that's better than not at all. For Steven King devotees, this is nectar; for the rest, this is a long fun-house ride with allegory supplying the fuel. Of course, IT reminds that keeping and nurturing friendships is the surest way to send out the clowns.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ready or Not (I) (2019)
One of the best horror flicks of the year. And funny.
4 September 2019
"Till death do us part."

I could have avoided one of my failed marriage if I had never married into her family in the first place. However, at that time, I never thought to look at the family to see the warning signs.

In Ready or Not, young Grace (Samara Weaving) is ready to marry Alex (Mark O'Brien) not knowing the La Domas family, although their being super wealthy from board games might help her over the ignorance. As they are scheduled to play an initiation game of Hide and Seek for her, it becomes clear it's deadly enough to demand her life before dawn or they all die.

Elements of Get Out, Clue, and Rosemary's Baby help make Ready or Not one of the best horror movies of the year with a little scare for everyone. If an audience is interested in blood and surprise, with a slight bit of the supernatural, then this macabre fest is for them.

If, however, like me, an audience looks for social and cultural commentary in addition to the scares, then this nervous experience more than fulfills that requirement. The film shows two ways a bride should be on alert: 1. Wealth has a way of making the wealthy unpredictable, self-centered, and wicked. 2. Why a fiancé has estranged himself from his family is an important piece of information that may save a bride's life.

The usual jump-scare tropes and malicious surprises make Ready or Not a delight for the normal horror fan. The cautionary-tale about knowing thy fiancé's family is universally true here. The over-the-top gore that induces laughs makes this film a joy to any filmgoer who can suspend disbelief and love this genre for its ability to teach about life's ironies and dark sides.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intriguing and perplexing, this doc is satisfying for those who want more intelligence from this genre.
3 September 2019
"I believe that we should die with decency so that at least decency will survive." Dag Hammarskjold

In 1961 the secretary general of the United Nations, Dag Hammarskjold, died in a plane crash on his way to negotiate peace for a nation torn apart by apartheid. Director Mads Brugger and co-investigator Goran Bjorkdahl in Cold Case Hammarskjold craft a fascinating documentary about that crazy world in which not only does he seem to prove a plot to kill Hammarskjold, he also suggests a military group, SAIMR, is responsible for spread of HIV as a way of eradicating blacks in Africa.

"Only the subject remains noble with this gallery of suspects: It is playing safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity." Dag Hammarskjold

This undeniably interesting doc seems to suggest rightly some of the blame for the death, but the virus motif was as recently as July debunked in part by the New York Times. At least the Times has scientifically cast doubt on any group's ability to spread clinically the virus in a whole population.

As Brugger deftly transitions from the plane disaster to the virus, more bad actors appear, and the Hammarskjold murder takes a back seat, albeit the death can be seen as a strategy to take out a major player in the anti-apartheid movement. Although the motives and characters seem to multiply dazzlingly, Brugger knows how to spin the facts into engaging drama.

See this challenging doc to bone up on your African history and gain some insight into how organizations like the CIA and SAIMR operate and get away with murder. Although Angel Has Fallen beats Cold Case cold in the box office races, it can't get close to beating a doc that keeps you guessing and sometimes really leaves you cold.

"Life only demands from you the strength that you possess. Only one feat is possible; not to run away." Dag Hammarskjold
Luce (2019)
Entertaining and challenging drama, never dull.
2 September 2019
"Luce" will not give as much light as the titular character's name promises. What it does offer is a kaleidoscopic view of racism, sexism, and more than those, adult expectations for excellence in offspring that can't be met in a real world.

The film is brimming with questions about the true character of adopted and gifted son Luce (Kelvin Harrison Jr), or is he just a meeting ground for the wishes of his adoptive parents (Amy-Naomi Watts, Peter-Tim Roth), his teacher/accuser Harriet (Octavia Spencer), and friends and others who expect him to be the perfection of their expectations for him as an achieving minority.

Director Julius Onah, together with original playwright J.C. Lee, guides the audience through a cultural maze out of which the film really doesn't fully emerge. Besides trying to determine if this exemplary senior, Luce, is an early terrorist or the model of a student, did he do some serious stuff for which he has eluded punishment.

Harriet, however, is the avenging angel, ready to indict blacks and females in order, maybe, to toughen them up for the prejudice they will face after graduation. No answers to these vexing questions, just many possibilities and ambiguities as in life itself, especially involving those gifted enough to stand out and stand judged more harshly than those not as lucky.

This challenging film often seems like a play, as it should coming from one. The emphasis is on words trying to parse the meaning of so many conflicting cultural signals such as the place of minorities in white, not always liberal, enclaves. Additionally, is someone like Luce imprisoned by the dreams of his parents and teachers?

As for the thriller aspects of this drama, whether or not Luce is a good boy haunts the narrative in a most delightful, albeit subtle way. My kind of ambiguous film with lots to think about.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jawline (2019)
Learn about teens, tweens, and social media in this expert doc.
27 August 2019
"I'm my own boss, my own editor, my own shooter, my own writer, everything. This is all stuff I learned through trial and error... failing at a lot of things has taught me how to succeed at them eventually... you roll with the punches." Lily Singh, influencer

It doesn't take much to be cynical about the instant fame of broadcast influencers like the protagonist of the powerful, perceptive, and sometimes depressing documentary Jawline, directed with insight and care by Liz Mandelup. Austin Tester, a 16-year-old Tennessee social media personality, is struggling to keep the thousands of fans who connect with him online.

In the four or so years chronicled by this objective and compassionate doc, Austin goes from the high of being recognized and rushed by scores of teens and tweens whenever he appears in public to scrounging for "likes."

Handsome he is, not as articulate or charismatic as my friend Derek, whose fans get more wit than they deserve. D has got talent.

While Austyn seems to decline in hits and energy as well as high school credit, he stays dedicated to his craft of expressing positivity, as his manager, barely older, demands he do all the time. Hovering around is the distant smell of failure, if not now but inevitably, for the competition is just as fierce as in entertainment in general, and Austyn is just not that talented.

Making it here and anywhere is not a given. For Sinatra it always was, but that was a talent given by the gods.

See Jawline if you want to experience teen passion in an audience that similarly adored Frank. If like me you can stand only so many wasteful words like "like," then start your own YouTube channel and see how few "like" you. It's rough out there.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some good filmmaking in the midst of unremitting thriller formula.
27 August 2019
"It is our moments of struggle, that define us." President Trumbull (Morgan Freeman)

Angel Has Fallen, since 2013 the third in the Fallen franchise starring Gerard Butler, is 2 hours of thriller clichés and stereotypes that manage to be entertaining and occasionally profound (See the opening quote). I liked it as I aman ardent fan of the genre, not as a discerning critic.

Saving the president is what Mike Banning (Butler) does, enlisting POTUS to save him when needed but always, as a secret service agent, protecting him more than himself. When the black SUV's and savage drums roll, I know the might of the US is on the move or that it is endangered.

Besides the considerable charm of Butler's everyman persona, I was pleased to see him suffering the aches and pains he deserved for all the combat calisthenics he has endured. I was pleased to see director and co-writer Ric Roman Waugh keep the inevitable home stress to a minimum, not emphasizing the grief and suffering of Mike's wife, Leah (Piper Perabo), in the usual thriller fashion.

The attempt to assassinate the president with a drone attack was as good a set piece as you will see in any film of this genre. The little attackers are tough to stop and capable of sending bombs that remind me of the napalm strafing in Apocalypse Now.

You do not go to these thrillers for intellectual stimulation or aesthetic satisfaction. You just go with a buddy to give you mind a vacation and see how well Americans do with remarkable CGI and stunning cinematography, Sometimes that's enough.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Nightingale (I) (2018)
Darkly beautiful bordering on horror.
26 August 2019
You may think Carrie the most harrowing revenge film or Kill Bill, The Revenant, Thelma and Louise or scores of other get-back films, but none is as thematically layered as The Nightingale. But then, writer-director Jennifer Kent's sophomore gothic effort has The Babadook for its predecessor, a detailed and layered thriller whose terror is more of the mind than this visceral revenge.

In 1825 Tasmania, Clare (Aisling Franciosi) witnesses the deaths of her husband and baby at the hands of a rapist officer, Hawkins (Sam Claflin) and his henchmen. With the help of an Aboriginal tracker, Billy (Baykali Ganambarr), Clare goes after the murderers. As a heroine, she towers over Wonder Woman for grit and patience.

The raping done throughout represents a reality of the brutal British colonialism and a signal of women's helplessness under nothing less than tyranny. Kent does not back away from the painful acts, which are necessary to damn the British and the men.

Put racism and genocide in that mix, and the revenge can be acceptable, welcome, but in the end ungratifying. What alleviates the grim circumstance is Franciosi's Oscar-worthy performance, no Thelma-Louise glamor, jus raw and tender as you would expect her character, a former inmate who has faced unrelenting discrimination and virtual slavery.

As buddy films go, this is one of a kind where fondness grows slowly, after a long bout of white dominating black; romance is a long way away if ever. Both refugees have purposes that do cross at one point, but otherwise The Nightingale has a hint of screwball comedy, only a hint. However, the common cause Clare and Billy find is a long time coming.

Besides coming down hard on colonialism, The Nightingale is just as unrelenting about racism and sexism. The murders of indigenous males and females is as unremitting as the rapes, both so common that they lose power in the repetition. If that sounds a bit too much, Kent and the actors make you a believer in the ability of a work of art to highlight major mankind sins.

The Nightingale is a first-rate revenge thriller that manages to keep you engaged and sympathetic through expert writing, directing, and acting, with perfectly attuned cinematography. Stop along the way to enjoy Radek Ladczuk's cinematography as it emphasizes the lovely landscape and the brutality.

Ultimately, you may agree we have one of the best movies of the year and a top contender for best revenge film of all time.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Population manipulation is especially problematic when it's real. This is an expertly real doc.
23 August 2019
"As a bookish child, I would come to see the one-child policy as one of the most fascinating and bizarre things about the land of my ancestors, equal parts Aldous Huxley and King Herod." Mei Fong, One Child: The Story of China's Most Radical Experiment

Hearing about China's 1979 one-child policy, lasting 35 years, is one thing. Listening to Asians who lived through it is another. The logic of administrators, some of whom who appear in Nanfu Wang's informative and touching documentary, One Child Nation, almost make sense.

Then you realize who is abandoned and who abducted, mostly girls, and you grimace for them and the families who were torn apart by the rule. Assuredly the females had to go first when authorities discovered families with more than one child because the Asian tradition had always favored males.

Wang having been given a man's name (Nanfu translates into "man" and pillar") shows a deft hand at directing without preaching. She does what I find lacking in too many docs-the other side. Those supporting a one-child policy appear frequently praising it as the salvation of a billion people who would have starved or resorted to cannibalism without the population restraint.

The devastating effects cannot be hidden: babies left in baskets, twins separated forever, human trafficking on a grand scale are just a few of the disorders. Propaganda is always there to reinforce the state's message. Wang presents it all, both good and bad.

But like our dark slavery past or Nazi cleansing, heinous plans to control population never seem to survive. The trail, however, is bloody and harrowing.

Wang has expertly balanced between a depressing subject and an important history lesson: "Don't fool with Mother Nature."
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An entertaining spin on Huck FInn set in contemporary Outer Banks.
21 August 2019
"Friends are the family you choose." Tyler (Shia LeBeouf)

The Peanut Butter Falcon is about as odd and endearing as the title, which refers to the alter ego of Zak (Zack Gottsagen). His dream of being a pro wrestler like The Salt Water Redneck (Thomas Hayden Church) is hampered by the fact that Zak is a down-syndrome lad escaping from a nursing home in the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

Lucky for him to meet Tyler (think Matthew McConaughey in Mud, but less flamboyant), who is himself on the run. As might be expected for those who are familiar with Hick Finn, the two encounter disreputable good old boys and caring ladies while Zak learns how to survive and maybe fulfill his dream.

Here is an odyssey that doesn't pander to notions of romance and rehabilitation; rather it gently shows the sweet and sour of life that Tyler can give to Zak with mixed results.

With the exception of John Hawkes playing his usual lean and mean redneck, the cast is unusually without stereotype. Church's Clint/Salt Water is especially right for a former wrestler given to kindness. In fact, the film is best exemplified by the opening quote to this review: the search for family is even more important than a lifelong obsession with becoming a pro wrestler. With the emergence of do-gooder Eleanor (Dakota Johnson), family becomes more possible than finding that Florida wrestling camp.

"This is not 'Lord of the Flies.' There's rules. There's regulations!" Eleanor (Dakota Johnson)
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A superior doc like its superior broadcaster.
17 August 2019
"That's not an interview, that's a lecture!" Mike Wallace analyzing a Bill-O'Reilly interview as they watch a tape of it together.

Mike Wallace's entrance into a room would be announced as if he were a rock star; and indeed, he was one as a hard-boiled broadcast journalist, as well known as some of the well-known figures he toughly interviewed like Salvatore Dali, Betty Davis, and Vladimir Putin, to name only a few. He set the standard in the twentieth century for asking the questions others were afraid to ask.

Although the informative and entertaining Mike Wallace is Here could be judged a puff-piece of celebration, like its subject, the documentary regularly looks at the underside: for a high-profile interview, it was discovered a producer had provided him with most of the questions; during a severe bout of depression, he tried suicide; Morley Safer called him a "prick" at his interview with Wallace; and much more.

This documentary does a credible job of taking us through his early years as a pitchman for Parliament Cigarettes and other commercials that eventually prepared him for serious broadcasting, most of its groundbreaking honesty married to savvy production, to the point that 60 Minutes became the most-watched news magazine in the world. When he asked Larry King why he had a reputation as a patsy, no one should have been surprised at Wallace's candor. That's who he was.

Sometimes this uncompromising doc has moments of soap-opera sentimentality as when star Wallace disagrees with his legendary producer and CBS about not publishing their candid interview with Jeffrey Wigand, the tobacco whistleblower. Hero Wallace refuses to buy into the network's caving into fear of litigation.

If you are looking for a contemporary hero with Greek-tragic properties, then see this expertly-edited song of praise for a broadcaster who deserves his place next to Walter Cronkite for integrity and charisma.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a standard horror film, it has seriously-satisfying thrills.
14 August 2019
"Survival can be summed up in three words - never give up. That's the heart of it really. Just keep trying." Bear Grylls, explorer

I would have given all I owned to spend as much time with one of my daughters as Dad (Casey Affleck) does with his daughter, Rag (Anna Pniowsky), dressed like a boy, on the run from a disease that strikes only females. In Light of My Life, they roam the grey Okanaga Valley of British Columbia seeking refuge as much from bands of men looking for uninfected girls as from the plague itself.

If you can endure the overly-long opening story dad lovingly tells daughter, the almost two hours will fly by as the protagonists combat daunting obstacles.

The thoughts of the decimation of the female population are horror-film good enough for the imagination, so minimalist writer/director Affleck spares us the usual terrible tropes to concentrate on the loving relationship. As he does in his Oscar-winning acting, Affleck concentrates on the slow-burning details.

That Affleck himself faced possible Oscar-negating accusations of sexual harassment makes his holy father here even more interesting than, say, Ben Foster's father character in Leave No Trace.

Survival is the operating action here, mainly slipping out of windows as men storm the house or tent. Father and daughter are adept at escape, leaving only that motif for tension, whereas if they fought with each other (a pre-teen and her dad holds multiple possibilities) there might be more interesting conflict.

As in It Comes at Night (2017), the cloaked assailants and the disease give the imagination the usual willies, but fascination with the survival of a father-daughter left to survive is the greatest conflict of all. You'll enjoy all of Affleck's indie charms and insights in a quietly effective thriller.

"To survive it is often necessary to fight and to fight you have to dirty yourself." George Orwell
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another in the exciting musical stories inspired by a celebrated singer.
13 August 2019
"Mister I ain't a boy, no I'm a man/And I believe in the promised land." Bruce Springsteen

The recent memorable music films such as Yesterday, Wild Rose, Rocketman, Bohemian Rhapsody, and A Star is Born left me exhilarated but pessimistic that there could be no more competitors. Enter Blinded by the Light, adapted from Safraz Manzoor's memoir, Greetings from Bury Park, to reinforce the euphoria I continue to have about music of greats from the past set in dramatic context or original songs set to stirring stories.

Pakistani Javed (Viviek Karla) lives in small town Luton, in Thatcher's austere 1987 (the anti-immigrant National Front was prominent if you need contemporary context), a nowhere place in England miles from London that is not friendly to Pakis. He is a fledgling writer who luckily discovers Bruce Springsteen, already an irrelevant rocker for Brit teens, and his beautiful unironic music of isolation and rebellion. No one in the audience could possibly not have an affinity for music that speaks of release from boredom and suppression.

Javed, listening to tapes like Darkness at the Edge of Town and Born in the USA, identifies with having a hungry heart and being born to run. However, Paki tradition of slavish fealty to his father, Malik (Kulvinder Ghir), keeps him from leaving to follow his dream. The film spends way too much with the conflict between controlling father and submissive son. Consequently, the Springsteen songs and the Bollywood dancing and acting out they inspire (set pieces with Born to Run, the Promised Land, and Thunder Road are outstanding) feel shortened so we can endure the constant bickering with strong-willed, directive dad.

The moments when Javed can cut loose with Bruce are among the best of the two-year buffet we have had of this sub-genre. Because the story is based on an actual experience, we can call it a biopic and rank it right alongside Rocketman and Bohemian Rhapsody. While Blinded is much softer than those two, Springsteen's music has such a real relationship with the world that the film connects with our everyday experience as no fantasy-filled musical story can do.

Blinded by the Light is as much about the powerful cultural impact of pop music as it is about the place of Springsteen in the collective imagination. And, it is simply a stirring story with some exceptionally-entertaining music!
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Farewell (I) (2019)
Learn about China and about life and forget about trade wars.
5 August 2019
"Based on an actual lie." From the titles

Lulu Wang writes/directs a quietly powerful drama about a Chinese tradition of withholding disturbing news like impending death that competes with the Western tradition of openness and disclosure. The Farewell is no imitation of the frothy Crazy Rich Asians.

Gone since she was three, Billi (Awkwafina) returns to China to visit her grandma Nai Nai (Shuzhen Zhou), who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. However, the family refuses to tell her the grim news out of a Chinese custom to avoid that discussion. Westernized Billi believes otherwise, and the film is pervaded by the overt and subtle struggle between her desire to give grandma a chance to say goodbye and her relatives' desire to carry the emotional baggage themselves for Nai Nai.

While this may seem like a one note conflict, The Farewell is also a commentary on the strong family bonds of Asians, enviable when juxtaposed with the Western tradition of gritty individualism. For Asians, that individuals participate in the whole community is an attractive belief in times when the Western world is racked by factionalism and special interests.

Although the actors in The Farewell are not as glamorous as those in Crazy Rich Asians, their humanity and warmth are superior and their story more enriching. Whether or not to disclose a terminal condition to a sufferer touches every culture. It's just that this exceptionally entertaining and instructive treatise on family unity in China makes me even more certain that I love the Chinese despite the trade war.

Wang settles the debate-- to disclose or not to disclose--in a most satisfactory conclusion. To see The Farewell settle a thorny issue is to know you have experienced on of the best films of the year.

"You can't hide your emotions." (Billi's parents)
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dear Comrade (2019)
Unfair to women for most of the film. Overly long.
1 August 2019
Dear Comrade is an Indian romance surrounding a headstrong comrade (one who fights for a social-justice cause, not necessarily a communist), Bobby (Vijay Deverakonda), and his paradoxically independent/ dependent love, Lilly. With touches of Bollywood's optimism, exuberant singing, and dancing, this actioner at times also could remind about West Side Story, though it lacks anything close to the nuance and artistry of that classic.

As the principals finally get together and split again, more than once, the almost three hours is fortunate to have such comely, charming actors to offset the enduring repetitions of fate. While it seems Lilly is intended to be an exemplar of the new Indian woman (she is a state cricketer, after all), who is not rushing into marriage (no sane woman would hook up with this angry cutie except in the last reel, when he, of course, is a new caring, feminist man).

Although Dear Comrade has issues like freedom of speech and rape awareness, these important themes are secondary to gang rivalry and the lovers spending too much time swooning over each other. If you're a romantic, you might enjoy this drama; if you're a realist, forget it and see Yesterday or Bohemian Rhapsody instead.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining an educational takedown of Cambridge Analytics and Facebook. And a caution for us all.
30 July 2019
"If you run campaigns designed to undermine people's ability to make free choices and to understand what is real and not real, you are undermining democracy and treating voters in the same way as you are treating terrorists." Christopher Wylie, Cambridge Analytica whistleblower.

Don't cancel your Facebook account just yet even though The Great Hack does a credible job exposing its abuse of privacy data for each of us. This carefully thought out and smoothly presented Netflix exposition of Cambridge Analytica's effective data shenanigans during the 2016 presidential election and pre-Brexit initiative is informative and entertaining, just like a good doc should be. Harvesting information on more than 50 million Facebookers is impressive and scary.

The major player here is Brittany Kaiser, the former director of business development for Cambridge Analytics, a defunct political data outfit; she turns on the company after serious soul searching. Like many of us as well, playing with psycho data on millions of subscribers to direct them to either trump or Brexit seems beyond the pale of democratic social media that should be neutral at all times. As for Kaiser, well, she's a hired gun who worked for Clinton before Cambridge-in her I don't trust.

Although Kaiser could be held up to intense scrutiny for the Trump campaign and Brexit, her meeting with Wikileaks' Julian Assange and his subsequent disclosures about Hillary Clinton seem to damn her just as well. Yet, she is contrite here, seemingly trying to right the wrongs of the cyber terrorism Cambridge Analytics clearly fomented. Anyway, the intrigue is unusually ripe for a documentary.

Besides the narrative magnetism of Cambridge's targeted messaging and psychographic manipulating is the caution for those of us who are lucky just to be able to write a word document-watch your identity ever so carefully. Current technology can know us and our personalities with thousands of reference points just for us, some of whom are the "persuadables" who can be directed to political and social ends. The Russians are coming.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You MUST see this. It's 241 min of romance tempered by tough nostalgia.
29 July 2019
Twenty-five years after Pulp Fiction, Quentin Tarantino is still getting our attention. Today in Once Upon a Time . . . in Hollywood he takes a calmer, less sardonic view of the passage of cultural time from The Graduate, Easy Rider, Midnight Cowboy, and other great '60's classics and the future '70's greats like Taxi Driver, Star Wars, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The Hollywood mojo was impressive in those decades, and he loves it all.

By focusing on almost has-been TV star Rick (Leo DiCaprio) and his stunt double (Brad Pitt), writer/director Tarantino can be wistful about a Hollywood that has reached its peak in the 60's and hard-nosed about the wars like Vietnam and murders like Manson's to temper the almost giddy love of movies divorced from reality. Never is he sappy or sarcastic, just mindful throughout of the passage of time and innocence.

In the 2 hrs 41 min, however, he doesn't cut scenes when he should such as the re-creation of old TV show segments just too long and dull to be anything but slow. However, when the two stars are together the magic of old Hollywood is present, even if they can't compete with Newman and Redford.

Never one to rely just on meticulous re-creation of an era (his details are marvelous), Tarantino plays with the lost innocence motif, even with war raging on TV and producers assassinating the careers of stars. Still, this is a milder, gentler Tarantino, unlike Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, for instance. As a loving take on violence and loss, he allows himself to honor the movies, from when he was a nerdy, video geek to a formidable auteur.

See this romantic rendition of the sixties by arguably one of the best artists in the world. At the least it's entertaining, at the best it blends our benign nostalgia with the evanescence of fame, beauty, and peace.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As soulful a doc as Cohen's deeply moving and memorable work.
27 July 2019
If you are familiar with Canadian Leonard Cohen's work, you'll recognize the deep voice singing lyrics of poetic joy and lamentations mostly about women in his life. Such is also the spirit of the informative and moving documentary Marianne and Leonard: Words of Love, both joyful like his megahit Halleluiah and woeful like his song of goodbye to his muse Marianne, a Norwegian beauty capable of inspiring transcendent music.

A woman in my theater row disclosed that the two concerts of Leonard she saw were a religious experience. Indeed, here was a poet and songster who exuded a prayerful love of life and inspirational muses like Marianne and Suzanne. That he spent six of his last years in a monastery is no surprise, nor that during that Buddhist time he lost his fortune to a "friend" who embezzled it all.

Love and loss fueled his '60's persona that with his poetic writing and dark good looks magnetized women to the extent that the endless supply of supplicants seemed to energize and inspire him rather than laying low ordinary men with the excess. This doc is about the beginning of his career with Judy Collins introducing him as a singer rather than just a composer who lived with Marianne on the idyllic Greek isle Hydra.

Although director and close Marianne friend Nick Broomfield stays out of the lovers' way, he loses some power in the multiple vignettes that sometimes feel isolated rather than fluid. Nor does the director allow more than just snippets from memorable songs such as Suzanne, Goodbye Marianne, Halleluiah, and Bird on a Wire, which are my favorites. In truth, this estimable doc is about Leonard's love life rather than his songs anyway.

I miss this unique troubadour, and you will too after hearing him again and living for a short while with his inspirations.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Lion King (2019)
Photorealism is perfection, a comedy team riffs hilariously, and the rest is just as it was in 1994.
23 July 2019
Life is tough for animals in the African savannah because after all Darwin's survival of the fittest fits best there. Eat or be eaten. Surprisingly the benign Disney empire covers its 1994 The Lion King, a brilliant but not so sweet story of the rise of a young lion, Simba (voice of JD McCrary), eventually to succeed his aging father, Mufasa (James Earl Jones).

Director Jon Favreau guides the animation through the most realistic depiction that could be hoped for, more photorealistic than his 2016 The Jungle Book. Although it seems every shot from the original is carefully reprised here, each eye movement, each facial tic is as if it were a photo made just bigger. Above that realism is the real key to The Lion King's success, the humanity that exudes each utterance and each challenge.

It's ironic because this is animation with animals who can't disguise their human qualities of love, hate, compassion, forgiveness, and most of all attachment to home and its protection. Simba must find his way back home to protect it-it's that simple, but the veiled Hamlet motif hints of family dysfunction, regicide, and the terrible toll of revenge.

Although lamentably Disney doesn't update the story to align with contemporary and actual lion lore that lionesses are the major influences from nurturing and social engineering to getting food. It is a remake that reflects the patriarchal and masculine tradition of dominance that has ruled Western culture for millennia. Really though, look at how ready Nala (Shahadi Wright Joseph) and Sarabi (Alfre Woodard) are to share the combat load. Maybe in a makeover someday.

Then, they did change "Hakuna Mutata" from the early meaning of "No worries," to a more modern "Who Cares." Not the Disney I know but much more real. For new material, listen to Seth Rogen and Billy Eichner riff on warthog Pumba and meerkat Timon. They are a hilarious comedy team ushering in the very modern "What me worry"?

Anyway, a child returns home to love and conflict-so human and so Disney. Then Pixar does well in the family motif, too. It's all the circle of life, Baby.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It needs a lighter touch for its heavier themes.
21 July 2019
Writer/director Riley Stearns' The Art of Self Defense has been called a "dark comedy." Maybe it is, but with so much dark and so little comedy, it would be better thought of as a psycho study of male impotence. That it doesn't have the light Jim Jarmusch touch as in The Dead Don't Die, where dry comic "Bill-Murray" reactions rule the raged zombie terrain, highlights the art of understated humor absent from Stearns' satire.

In today's world of women's ascendency into the macho sphere previously owned by men, Stearns has a serio-comic thriller in an indeterminate time with echoes of Fight Club and any men's magazine that features gun ownership and boobs in the same issue. The Art of Self Defense is anything but about art; it is a dense, dark, melancholic cautionary tale of a 30-something milquetoast, Casey (Jesse Eisenberg), who becomes a menace through the "art" of karate.

Besides the overly-long set up, this film has a challenge to strike the right balance between the dreary life of an introvert and the dangerous world of violence and misogyny, not dull but disquieting. The film is effective showing the almost exclusive male training in artful macho that discriminates against a woman (Anna, played by Imogen Poots) by stifling her ambition and relegating her to a boiler room for a locker room.

Casey embodies the wrong-headed notion that courage can come from a punch and a kick. As for an equalizing gun, it is not for the weak as the dojo's rules claim. Casey will have his own take. His sensei (Alessandro Nivola) must face his pupil as avenging angel.

The Art of Self Defense is not for most regular film goers: It's slow and unsure of its tone. For the discriminating audience, however, it offers a skewered perspective on the hobbling of timid spirits by substituting violence for sympathy and force for understanding.

In the hands of rank amateurs, the defense should be for themselves against themselves. Fight Club or Karate Kid this is not. Like them it is in its minimal humor. Dark comedy? not so much.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wild Rose (2018)
A great companion piece to recent musical biopics and completely different.
15 July 2019
"Three chords and the truth" -- slogan on Rose-Lynn's arm (Jessie Buckley)

By the time I reached the end of this musical drama, Wild Rose, I wanted much more of lead Jessie Buckley playing an aspiring country singer from Glasgow. I never got what I wanted because this flip-side of a Star is Born is relentlessly real (the "truth" of the slogan above) as much about her aspiration as her first-class talent.

Wild Rose is about the challenges a single mother-of-two must face with this enormous singing talent bursting out of her. One of her challenges is putting her two children before her hope because she does not come easily to selflessness. Where other musical stories emphasize the talent, this story emphasizes the responsibilities any human will have entering the rarefied competition for music.

Happily, the film rarely meets formulaic expectations: At each turn expectations are subverted in favor of a non-romantic slice of reality. Yesterday, Rocket Man, Bohemian Rhapsody, and even A Star is Born, fulfill the dictates of successful Hollywood musical romances. Not this Glasgow slice of life.

If you're into fantasy only, see it anyway if just to witness an otherworldly performance, say, Lady Gaga without the hype. This is your friendly critic giving a word to wise cinephiles: See it.
0 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crawl (2019)
Perfect July-August low-expectations thriller.
12 July 2019
"Alligators all around." Haley (Kaya Scodelario)

Although you may expect at least one grindhouse experience per summer, you'll usually get more than that. Start this summer with Crawl, a thriller that pretends to be nothing more than a low-merit, low-budget horror show about a young woman fighting off hungry alligators in her flooded Florida home during a hurricane.

It's plain old fun because all you should ask for is a few scares, mediocre graphics (the alligators are not always convincing), and a pleasantly humane tale of a father and daughter bonding over monsters. Praise French director Alexandre Aja for providing gallons of suspense and surprise without stretching credulity too far.

In fact, a remarkable verité is present, whereby you might actually feel as if you're swimming furiously among the reptiles. Kaya gives a taut performance about a strong young woman who happens to be a good swimmer and loving, if neglected daughter. Barry Pepper as her dad, Dave, is convincing about losing himself, parts of himself anyway, to the bad-boy demons of the not so deep.

What do film critic buddies like Wayne Miller and John DeSando do on holiday? We hoot and howl at the noon showing of a cheesy thriller, happy that we can enjoy without filters the waning summer and along with it the quality of movies. Watch for us at 47 Meters Down: Uncaged. We'll have no cages on bad taste.
8 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you like adolescent romantic adventures, this small super-hero romp should please you.
9 July 2019
"I think Nick Fury (Samuel L Jackson) just hijacked our summer vacation." Peter Parker (Tom Holland)

After Captain Marvel, Shazam, and Avengers: Endgame this summer, I need a respite, and Spider-Man: Far from Home provides that. Like its eponymous hero (Tom Holland), the film is lighthearted, adolescent, and not earthshattering. It's generally immature, with the usual proliferation of explosions, some of them illusory, and teen flirtations with no naked scenes, thank goodness.

Saving the earth is what a superhero does, and now with Tony Stark gone to the great techno heaven, it's up to Peter Parker to do just that. Except he's on a class trip to Europe and really wants to enjoy it, especially romancing the seemingly indifferent MJ (Zendaya). As the opening quote exclaims, the tour is not going to turn out well.

What is good is meeting the alternative-earth hero, Mysterio (Jake Gyllenhaal), who joins Avenger forces against some very bad water and fire monsters. He's smart and cool, a potential leader to replace Tony. Gyllenhaal had fun with the role, playing the leitmotif of appearance vs reality deftly and just enough insouciance to keep us interested.

As always for me, the explosions are too many, and the romance too negligible. Except that the flirtation between Aunt May (Marisa Tomei) and Happy (Jon Favreau) has real world possibilities, if only to contrast the too-much-time with silly teen confusion over the right way to romance. Spidey is, after all, only 16! At least writers McKenna and Sommers got that awkwardness down right.

Spider-Man turns out to be a teen vacation punctuated by some bad villains and hairy situations. Teens will save this box office. Adults not so much.

About the Spidey with his new responsibilities:

"He looks out for the neighborhood, has a dope suit, and I really respect him." Flesh Thompson (Tony Revolori)
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.