Reviews

Roseanne (1988–2018)
They are back and funny as ever
28 March 2018
I always loved Roseanne when it was a regular show and was so happy to hear of the revival and it was well worth the wait. Yes! the gangs all here and its like they stepped out of a time machine and haven't been away at all. People have commented that Goodman looks uncomfortable but I didn't think so. There is still the same wonderful chemistry between him and Roseanne and Jackie is still driving her crazy. I thought the political humor was inappropriate but other then that it was wonderful and I'm looking forward to the next episode to take me down memory lane.
11 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Insight: A Gun for Mandy (I) (1982)
Season Unknown, Episode Unknown
Great Series
12 February 2017
I used to really enjoy this show back in the 1980s. I found some old episodes on youtube recently and found them to be as fresh and relevant as ever. A Gun For Mandy is definitely a powerful "insight" into the problem of gun violence (with headlines like Ferguson this episode is as relevant today as in 1982). Lois Nettleton plays a meek bookshop owner who is harassed in her shop and later during a home invasion by a disturbed man. The experience terrifies her and she buys a gun for protection despite a police officer urging her not to pointing out that she could accidentally shot an innocent person. Nettleton's character is a divorcée who has a loving relationship with her teenage son who is about to go off to college. SPOILER ALERT the son makes an unfortunate mistake when he comes home late in the night to surprise his mother on her birthday. Terrified she grabs her gun just as he opens the door...well you can guess the unfortunate ending. It was really a chilling way to deliver a message about gun control. One last thing I wanted to point out is that this episode was directed by Ted Post who had directed the Dirty Harry movie Magnum Force. I find it ironic that he directed a movie about our favorite gun crazy cop and this show that was an indictment against guns!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Son of God (2014)
a wonderful movie
2 March 2014
I think that this movie is going to suffer because people are going to compare it to The Passion Of The Christ. Mel Gibson may be an awful person but he was a great director in that movie. Even so Diogo Morgado does a wonderful job as Jesus. He captures the man's love and compassion and spirituality to a t. The movie is very faithful to the details of Jesus's life from his feeding the multitude to entering the city on a donkey. This is truly a beautiful film to behold and I thought the special effects were great especially when it showed Jesus walking on water in a raging storm. The arrest, trial, torture and crucifixion of Jesus are chillingly reenacted. I wanted to thank the people who made this film for not dwelling on the scourging scene the way that Gibson did. Even so, one is appalled by the ignorance, hatred and cruelty of Pilate and Caiphus and the other so called "holy men". There is a scene where Pilates stooges beat many innocent citizens to death and his men overturn a wagon and kill a child so his parade can get by. As a final review, Roma Downey has a wonderful cameo as Jesus's mother. I was always a big Touched By An Angel fan. It is heartbreaking seeing her anguish as she witnesses his torture and crucifixion.
15 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Grudge Match (2013)
Two aging lions who can still let out a mighty roar
28 December 2013
On paper the premise for this movie would seem too ridiculous for words, a 73 year old man boxing a 67 year old man (Stallone and DeNiro's ages). However, I have to give the makers of this film just credit because they take this seemingly insane idea and make it work. So many people have commented that it was appropriate for Stallone and DeNiro to work together on a film like this. DeNiro won an Oscar for playing boxer Jake LaMotta in Raging Bull and Stallone played our most beloved movie boxer Rocky Balboa. Maybe they should have made this film back in the 1970s when both of them were in their primes! Stallone is basically playing Rocky in this film, a decent, honorable blue collar guy who is too proud to reveal he is blind in one eye. He and DeNiro are so funny to watch in their constant bickering, especially that part where they tear the studio apart in that computer simulation. I hadn't seen Kim Basinger for a while, but she still looks awesome and is really wonderful as the love interest of the two men (she is sort of the "Adrian" of the film). There are parts of this film that are sort of affectionate homages to Rocky. There is a scene where Stallone drinks a glass of cracked eggs and another where he is about to punch a side of beef but then his trainer tells him that is unsanitary and he only wants dinner (Alan Arkin has an amusing bit here as Stallone's geriatric foul mouthed trainer, he is supposed to be like Mick in the Rocky films). I really found myself rooting for Stallone's character because DeNiro, while doing his usual brilliant acting job, basically plays a horses ass! I didn't like that part where he endangers his young grandson I don't know how his son was so forgiving towards him. My other beef with the film is that training sequences that show the two elderly gents suffering the agonies of the damned seemed very forced (however I have to admit I thought the scene where DeNiro farted while doing sit-ups was very funny). Then ladies and gentleman we come to the conclusion, the great fight between these two old warriors. Will they remember to take their Geritol? It may be hard to believe, but the final fight is very exciting and realistic and like the bouts in Rocky. SPOILER ALERT Sly gets to win (duh doesn't he ALWAYS get to win) We see that the two men have laid their personal demons to rest and now have mutual respect for one another. Oh and by the way, sniff sniff, DeNiro hugs his estranged son and tells his grandson to call him "grandpa". What a happy ending. I have heard that this film is really getting slammed by the critics and I want to come to its defense. I also wanted to mention that you should stay for the closing credits because they have one last laugh in store for you. They try to get Evander Holyfield and Mike Tyson to have a rematch!
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
uneven, hard to follow but still a lot of fun
26 December 2013
I remember reading James Thurber's story when I was a freshman in high school. I have to admit that Ben Stiller takes this beloved literary classic and gives it an amazing new twist. Stiller is an excellent choice to play Mitty. I have long been an admirer of his and I feel that he is like a modern day Jimmy Stewart. He has a wonderful, down to earth "everyman" quality that all of us can identify with. In his movies he is always the lovable underdog who seems so insignificant and yet in the end is the hero. All of us who have slipped on a banana peel and embarresed ourselves can identify with this wonderful thespian. What is remarkable is that as a director Stiller only gives a nod to Mitty's heroic fantasies, they flash very briefly. He dreams of saving a building full of people from a gas explosion and beating up his pain in the ass boss (who HASN'T daydreamed of that). However, in his effort to save his job and find a missing frame of film, Mitty turns real life adventurer (in the beginning he couldn't think of one "remarkable" thing he ever did in his life) We see him skateboarding through a volcanic explosion, surviving a plunge into a shark infested ocean and climbing the highest mountain in the most freezing cold. I love movies that try to be original and Stiller certainly dares to do that and it pays off wonderfully I just kept wondering what in the hell was on that Frame 25. Stiller's transformation from Marvin Milquetoast to Indiana Jones may not be the least bit convincing, or even make very little sense, but what the hell! Your entertaining us Mister Stiller and that's all that matters. Kristin Wiig, a wonderful comic actress and Saturday Night Live cast member, is really sweet as Mitty's fantasy love interest. SPOILER ALERT, after Mitty saves the day in the end and has the last word on the boss he hated, it shows he and Wiig together at last. I had that sense of disappointment I had in the end of Sleepless in Seattle, because I wanted to know if there was a happy end for both of them.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is the first movie I have seen in ages....
20 July 2013
That I truly and absolutely despised! I haven't written a review on IMDb for almost a year now (I used to do one for every movie that I saw). However, I want to perform a public service for my fellow man and let unsuspecting people know not to waste their money. This movie is so bad it defies belief. You don't see it, you suffer through it. Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels (the original Lone Ranger and Tonto) must be turning in their graves. Johnny Depp has probably put the nail in the coffin of his career. He has got to be the creepiest Tonto that I have ever seen. Armie Hammer is a wimp of a Lone Ranger. The two have no chemistry whatsoever. That defeats the whole purpose because the Lone Ranger and Tonto are supposed to have a bond of admiration and mutual respect. You see none of that here. I not only felt like going to the theater owner and asking for my money back, I felt like asking God for the two hours of my life back that I WASTED watching this abominable sack of dreck. It is that horrible. Johnny Depp should be ashamed of himself.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Elementary (2012– )
Lucy Liu makes this show
28 September 2012
Bringing Sherlock Holmes into the twentieth century, that concept has been tried before so I cannot say that this new show is "original" but Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu bring interesting interpretations to the roles of Holmes and Watson. Actually, Liu was the reason that I tuned in to watch the premiere. I have been a fan of hers ever since I saw the Charlie's Angels movies and I thought if anyone can play a tough heroine who can hold her own against any man it's her. She does precisely that in the premiere that I saw. This series looks like its going to be very dark and its characters haunted and tormented. Holmes by his addiction and Watson over the guilt she feels about a patient's death. There was one scene where Holmes coldly deduces that is what her problem is. I wanted Watson to punch him out right there! Holmes has never been played as more of an arrogant self righteous ass then he is in this show. I predict that this show isn't going to last very long. Oh well, maybe Lucy can make Charlie's Angels 3.
25 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Its not the Brady Bunch thats for sure
6 July 2012
Michelle Pfieffer and Elizabeth Banks both give A+ performances in this movie and they both deserve to be remembered at Oscar time. It is a joy watching these two outstanding thespians at work. It is amazing the intensity and depth they bring to their performances. They bring these tortured characters to life and you feel their pain. When I was getting ready to write this review, my first instinct was to say that there wasn't a really likable character in the film. That instinct was wrong. Its not that the characters aren't likable, its just that they are flawed and in deep emotional pain because one man didn't do his job as a responsible husband and father and the pain he caused lives after his death. This is a very dark film, very depressing, gritty and true to life. No "Brady Bunch" happy endings here folks. Surprisingly, I think it makes it a better movie. The only major beef I have with this film is the character of the boy Josh. He is without a doubt the most appalling child character since Wesley on Mister Belvedere. I kept wanting one of the adults to give him a good smack in his little fresh, dirty mouth. I always hate it in movies when they show smart aleck kids who talk to adults more strongly then real life kids would dare do!
23 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So this is how it ends
23 June 2012
Armageddon, doomsday, the final apocalypse. Ever since the beginning of time man has wondered how it will all end. Another great flood, a nuclear war or in this case an asteroid. Filmmakers have always done their best to exploit this basic fear we have of the termination of our existence in movies like Fail Safe, On The Beach and The Day After. I put this film right up there with them because of the awesome performances of Steve Carell and Keira Knightley as our hero and heroine who we know are doomed from the start. I have always admired Carell as a comic (Get Smart, Date Night). However, he proves here that he can handle drama with the rest of them as does Knightley. They both have very powerful monologues in this film where they talk of their lonely lives. Its so ironic that they both find joy and love in life when they are on the very edge of death.
103 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So thats why Abe was so good with an ax!
22 June 2012
I have always loved history and Abraham Lincoln was always one of my heroes. Gee I didn't realize that he was this bad ass dude that went around whacking vampires! Shows you how little I know. Seriously, I like movies that try to cover new ground and be original and creative and the people that made this one really take the cake in that department, make that the whole bakery. I enjoyed the fact that they skillfully mix an original story with the known facts of Lincoln's life. For example, Lincoln did live in a place called Pigeon Creek when he was a boy; his mother did die when he was very young; he did work as a shopkeeper and have a friend named Joshua Speed and he had a young son named Willie that died in the White House. Like so many other horror movies, my complaint with this one is that it has so much gratuitous blood, guts and gore. What more then makes up for that, however, is a young actor named Benjamin Walker. He does an A+ job of bringing the 16th President to live. He convincingly shows Lincoln's humanity, courage and compassion and does as fine a job as any other actor who has played Lincoln in a serious movie. Critics usually don't give a lot of credence to horror films and the actors in them and thats a shame because in any other type of movie, Walker would be getting major headlines. Mary Elizabeth Winstead gives him able support as his wife Mary. She is portrayed as very loving, devoted and strong and that is wonderful because Mary Lincoln usually takes a character beating as a neurotic witch. The Civil War battle scenes in the movie are as realistic as any war between the states movie only its the vampires against the blue coats and the silverware wins (watch it and see). SPOILER I love how they end the movie with a little bit of irony. After Lincoln defeats the vampires, he and Mary decide to relax and celebrate, by going to the theater.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
chocolate milk and time travel
30 May 2012
The original Men In Black was one of the few sci-fi movies I ever liked and it was because of the great chemistry and camaraderie between Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones. Fifteen years later, they still have it! I never saw the first sequel so I cannot compare but this is a great movie. Tommy Lee Jones has been a favorite of mine ever since I saw The Fugitive. I think he could walk on the moon without a spacesuit. Some people who have co starred with him have said he is not a joy to work with but he is a joy to watch. He is hilarious as Agent K. He is so deadpan and wooden he makes Jack Webb look overemotional! It is a perfect contrast to Smith's persona. This film was a little confusing because of the great shifts in time but its a lot of fun all the way as J travels back to 1969 to prevent his friend from being killed and the earth from being destroyed. I also wanted to mention that Smith and Josh Brolin (who has the bigger part as younger K) have great chemistry as well. Brolin has the mannerisms and speech patterns down so well it is almost spooky. SPOILER ALERT in "junk" movies like this you don't expect a lot of emotional moments, but there is in the end where young K kills the alien but not before the alien kills the officer that let them into the launch pad. It turns out the man was J's father and young Jay is right there to be comforted by the young K who erases the horrible sight from his memory (confusing right?) It is a wonderful way to end the movie
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very realistic
21 May 2012
This movie was a refreshing change of pace in so many ways. So many comedies about women having a baby make it look like a wonderful thing, all peaches and cream. Well, this movie is different it shows the rough side as well, the mood swings, the throwing up, the peeing and farting we see it all! This movie has a great ensemble cast and they all get equal time and the stories blend together smoothly. I love the "rant" that one woman gives about how pregnancy sucks. I can imagine that something like that would get a lot of hits on you tube! However, as always its my favorite actress the lovely Cameron Diaz who steals the show with her beautiful smile and flair for comedy. She is always worth the admission to me. SPOILER I just knew in the end they were all going to go into labor at once and there would be a lot of slapstick getting them to the hospital. I also knew that one of them would have a medical emergency, a few moments of suspense and then every one would be all right and live happily ever after! Oh well, isn't that what going to the movies is all about.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark Shadows (2012)
Unique to say the least
14 May 2012
My last review on IMDb was of The Lucky One and I said it was one of the corniest, clichéd by the numbers movies I ever saw. Tim Burton and Johnny Depp may not be to everyone's taste as actor and director but at least they are always unique and original in everything that they do. They have made so many movies together that I bet they can read each other's minds. I never saw the original Dark Shadows series (although I think I remember seeing a Barnabas Collins board game in my fifth grade classroom). I can't compare Depp's performance to Jonathan Frid the original Barnabas, but Depp really delivers I think. He makes Barnabas scary (the scene where he kills those construction workers, those hippies and that doctor) however he also makes him strangely sympathetic as well. You feel sorry for him in a way because of the terrible curse he bears. Burton brings his trademark quirky brilliance to directing this film. He does a fine job mixing laughs and screams. However, there was just one slight at the end. I always watch the credits of the movies I go to see and I noticed that they didn't dedicate it to Jonathan Frid who just passed away. He'd a cameo in the film as well as three other original cast members.
1 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Lucky One (2012)
This movie takes innocent clichés and beats them to death
1 May 2012
I am a Soldier in the Army and identified with the main character in this film and was rooting for him. This is a simple lovely story with attractive characters and a typical feel good ending. However, it is also one of the hokiest, corniest, clichéd movies I have ever seen. Everything from the sappy music score, the hokey dialogue (you should be kissed every hour every minute...finding your picture was like finding an angel in hell) to the precocious kid, the wise grandma and the jealous ex husband who is a baddie straight out of a Batman cartoon! I don't know how the people who made this movie kept a straight face! Towards the end I kept checking my watch in the theatre, thats a bad sign. Blythe Danner is wonderful as the grandma and its always a treat to watch her no matter the quality of the film. Zac Efron and Taylor Schilling are two fine promising young actors who give it their all. They certainly deserved better then this!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Raven (I) (2012)
Quoth the Raven Nevermore
27 April 2012
John Cusack gives a great performance as Edgar Allen Poe in this film. He really fooled me with the depth of his acting. In the opening scene, I thought he was just going to ham it up and show Poe as a washed up, egotistical horse's rear end. I liked that scene in the bar where he asked the patrons to give the correct answer to the phrase "Quote the Raven" and then someone yelled "Piss off". However he gives enormous intensity and complexity in showing Poe as loving and brilliant as well when he tries to find his kidnapped girlfriend. You sense his desperation. SPOILER ALERT in the end Poe dies when the bad guy forces him to take a drink of poison. HOWEVER, modern day forensic persons have theorized that Poe's death was from rabies due to a bite of one of his pets, may have been the raccoon he had in this film. I also wanted to point out that there is a big GOOF in this film that the IMDb normally reports on their site. In this movie, Poe is called to serve as an adviser by the police after there is a string of brutal murders that seem to match the plots of his books. There is a shot of a news headline in the movie and it shows the words SERIAL KILLER ON THE LOOSE. This movie is set in 1849 and the term serial killer was not even talked about until a century later. To the technical advisor's of this film I say you did a poor job and get your act together.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mirror Mirror (I) (2012)
At least she didn't eat the poisoned apple in the end!
2 April 2012
A number of years back, I had the pleasure of seeing the classic Disney version of Snow White on one of its rare re-releases. It was Disney's first animated full length feature and many have said it was the best. Someone said that it would be enchanting viewers when all the people who made it were asleep and no prince's kiss could awaken them. Usually, I don't like it when Hollywood remakes beloved classics, but I liked this one. Veteran Julia Roberts and a bright newcomer named Lilly Collins are the lovely Snow White and the Wicked Queen. It has been 22 years since Pretty Woman and I assume that Miss Julia regularly checks her mirror and asks who the fairest is. She still looks great though and she steals the show the way that Jack Nicholson did when he was the Joker to Michael Keaton's Batman. That isn't taking anything away from Collins, however, she takes the cartoon character of Snow White and makes her a real person. She has such compassion for her subjects that the Queen has brutalized. And yes there are seven dwarfs in the film although they give them different names. I loved the montage in the film where they are "training" Snow White to be tough and take on the Wicked Queen. I thought I was watching Rocky there for a minute. There is a great sword fight between Snow White and the Prince and one scene where she single handedly saves the dwarfs. Wow what a new twist a ballsy, ass kicking Snow White! What would Disney think. Spoiler, this movie is a lot of fun for the whole family and in the end all live happily ever after, Snow White doesn't like poison apples and everyone is singing and dancing and happy in her kingdom.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Project X (2012)
The "feel good" movie of 2012
2 March 2012
I just love the message this movie sends to young kids. You can throw the wildest party ever, destroy your parents house, burn down half the block, be brought up on about ten different felonies and still have your classmates vote you most popular and most likely to succeed. What a positive message for people.

I call this a "feel good" movie because you can watch it and no matter how bad a day your having or how badly you feel about yourself, you can always say at least I'm not like those idiots in this film! I wanted to say I was offended at how this film discriminates against midgets. There is a scene where they try to bake a midget in an oven. I seriously hope that no midgets were harmed during the making of this classic film.
7 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Act of Valor (2012)
The only easy day is yesterday
27 February 2012
SEALs are warriors in the most classical sense. Someone once said that they eat rocks, they eat their young and they make Rambo look like a Brownie! Seriously, they have an awesome history. No SEAL has ever been captured or left a fallen comrade and there are several who won the Medal Of Honor. Recently, SEALS were lauded when they killed Osama Bin Laden. I am glad that we have this fine film that shows these heroes and what they do to keep us free. I am a Sergeant in the Army getting ready to retire and most military pictures just give me a good laugh because they get so much wrong. Not here, SEALs were not only technical advisors to the film but acted in it as well. The results are astounding. The action scenes in this film have to been seen to be believed. You can almost smell the gunpowder from your seat! Critics have made fun of the sub par dialogue and what they consider the poor acting in the film but I disagree. SPOILER ALERT there was a big cliché in the film to me. When they first showed that idealistic Lieutenant in the opening and he talked about how he kept his grandfather's flag with him, when it showed him with a beautiful wife and a baby on the way, I knew his goose was cooked and he wouldn't live to the final credits. What was also touching was how in the end they named all the SEALs that have died since 9/11 in the final credits. Freedom isn't free.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wanderlust (2012)
penguins with testicular cancer?
24 February 2012
Paul Rudd has a vulgar but hilarious "mirror" scene in this film (watch it and see what I mean), Jennifer Aniston has a hilarious scene where she drinks some drugged tea and has an "Easy Rider" like trip culminating in her believing she can fly and Alan Alda has a hilarious bit as a senile hippie. There I have just named the only good things in this film. I desperately wanted to like Wanderlust because it tried to be original, however originality doesn't always guarantee a good movie and this is a case in point. I almost felt like I had stepped into a time machine watching this the way it showed communes, hippies, drug use and free love. This movie might have been better made forty years ago! It seems so out of place today. Wanderlust has enough nudity and foul language in it for about five movies and George's brother Rick has got to be the most obnoxious pig I have ever seen in a movie. Just his few minutes on screen ruined it for me.
4 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gone (I) (2012)
What a twist at the end
24 February 2012
Watching movies like this makes me think that Hollywood may be running out of original ideas. The story of an innocent person being pursued is as old as movies itself, an innocent person trying to solve the crime on their own while the incompetent police fall all over themselves (as they do in this film) is also old hat. However, Amanda Seyfried gives a great performance as the spunky heroine determined to find her sister. The situation she escaped from is similar to Ashley Judd's in Kiss The Girls. There are some genuine moments of suspense here, especially in the end out in the woods. SPOILER ALERT the twist sort of caught me by surprise (read backwards) along all house their under buried well and alive was Molly. I love the fact that the bad guy really got his just desserts as well.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Vow (2012)
Very enjoyable
11 February 2012
Two young actors named Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams both get a big thumbs up from me for their outstanding performances in this movie that tugs at your heartstrings. Its so convenient that it came out just in time for Valentines Day. The movie is based on a true story about a woman who really did have a head injury that caused her to have amnesia and forget she even had a husband. You really feel bad for this young couple and root for them all the way. You wish that she would regain her memory and realize how much this man really loves her, unlike her snooty parents and her jerk of a former fiancé. SPOILER ALERT The ending of the movie sort of reminded me of Sleepless In Seattle. It shows them walking off hand in hand and you wonder if they really did live happily ever after, its up to you to decide.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Elizabeth Banks rules
3 February 2012
Sam Worthington is the star of this movie buts its Elizabeth Banks who steals the show in my humble opinion. The theme of the convicted innocent man fighting to clear his name is one of the oldest in movies, it was a favorite theme of Alfred Hitchcock as a matter of fact so this isn't highly original material here. A great deal of the movie is just him on a ledge looking down at the crowd below. I have a fear of heights so that part wasn't enjoyable for me. However, Elizabeth Banks made this film for me. You usually don't expect to see fine acting in "action" movies but she gives a great performance as a tough, ballsy woman in a man's job who is tormented by a tragedy she couldn't prevent. There are genuine moments of tension and thrills in the movie and Ed Harris is great as the scummy bad guy you love to hate.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The worst day
24 January 2012
I have always been a big fan of both Sandra Bullock and Tom Hanks and was disappointed that they really had such little time in the movie. In fact, Hank's total screen time is probably only a little over twenty minutes. Except for a very intense argument scene with her son and a scene in the end where they reconcile, Bullock is rather wasted as well. What makes up for this is young Thomas Horn, he basically has to carry the whole show on his slender shoulders and he does an A+ job. I was reading about this boy and what is amazing is that he has never acted before. He emotes like a real pro in the scenes where he tries to explain his frustration to "the Tenant" (a masterful turn by Max Von Sydow playing a mute)or the SPOILER ALERT scene in the end where he reveals the real reason for his anguish to the man who really was meant to have the key. They should film him in his role and use it to train young actors. Two minor points, Oskar did kind of get on my nerves sometimes, he was a screwed up kid! There were times when I wanted someone to give him a good smack! It always irks me when kids in movies talk to adults more strongly then real life kids would dare to. The other point SPOILER ALERT is when Oskar's mother tells him in the end that she knew what he was doing all along and was visiting the "Blacks" he went to before him. It mentioned in the movie that he had been doing this for three months. My question is this what the hell kind of parent would allow their kid to wander thru New York City of all places unsupervised, riding the subway and going into dangerous neighborhoods to talk to total strangers. That part of the movie was important to the overall plot I guess but it made no sense to me.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Iron Lady (2011)
Another great Meryl Streep performance
23 January 2012
I would love to see Meryl Streep's trophy room in her house! She has won every award under the sun and deservedly so. Excellent performances are simply her standard and this is no exception. I did not know much about Margaret Thatcher before watching this film but found it fascinating simply because Streep is so brilliant. She has it all down pat, the makeup, the accent, its like she becomes the iron lady. She was truly the strong leader that England needed in difficult times. The only complaint that I have with this film is that it drags at certain points and its very depressing showing her as a lonely, frail old woman tormented by her husband's ghost. That part was strange indeed! I thought I was watching A Christmas Carol. The film should have focused more on Thatcher when she was in her prime.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hold onto your seats
26 December 2011
With his Scientology preaching and couch jumping antics, its hard to take Tom Cruise seriously isn't it? He has just coasted so long on his pretty boy looks. As far as I'm concerned he hasn't really earned his paycheck since A Few Good Men, thats the last time he really "acted" as far as I'm concerned. However, who am I to quibble. Fans of Mission Impossible don't pay to see Ethan Hunt and his agents do Shakespeare or Tennessee Williams, they pay to see lots of action and we get it in spades here! This movie would have been a lot more effective if they had made it during the Cold War since it involves an attack on the Kremlin. There is a lot of action to keep you on the edge of your seat especially the one where Hunt Spidermans down the side of the world's tallest building. People with fear of heights should not watch this movie. Jane Patton does a wonderful job as a ballsy female agent with a score to settle.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.