Reviews

24 Hours in A&E (2011– )
The suffering of others is over-produced and turned into a soap opera
28 February 2017
I don't like this style of production at all. Dreary piano music in the background, too many close ups of "in your face" talking heads, long waits with nothing happening sexed up by changing the camera angle every two seconds of someone lying in bed, all this does nothing for me except distracts. The viewer is told what to watch and what emotions to empathise with instead of being allowed time to think.

People get upset over the illness of a loved one, but they go through other emotions as well and the tear jerking production doesn't do justice to this.
3 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The psychopathology is all wrong.
13 April 2008
I was not impressed with this film, and it's phoney psychiatry. I have some professional experience in working with the criminally insane, in the US and UK. While there are a few staff in the profession who would allow themselves to be manipulated in the way that Clarice Starling does, I cannot conceive any real life situation where so many of her colleagues would allow this situation, known as "team splitting", to continue. It is routine behaviour for psychopaths to attempt to team split, as Lekter does, but it is such a standard ploy that it would be recognised in any institution other than the toyland one in the film and quickly dealt with, and I resent the attitude of the storyline in glorifying this behaviour. Trust me people, if you are in this situation, don't allow patients to split you away from your colleagues, you may think they are interested in you but they will get bored with playing with you in the end. When patients are given this power, which they cannot handle, it makes them more scared, and less likely to learn. In his attempt to make Frederick Chilton, the character that should be the good guy, in to the bad guy, either the actor or the director has gone way over the top, to the point where where pathos becomes bathos, and as for Anthony Hopkins, he lost all credibility for me when he announced in a British tabloid that he was sorry for seeming to condone violence in the role he was playing, and then within a few months proceeded to repeat the role in the sequel, "Hannibal". That's why I never bothered to see the film until just recently.
27 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
EastEnders (1985– )
The Whispering Woodenheads
1 December 2006
Not "real life", but a cheap,cynical, patronising, fake copy, minimalised for TV, popularised by the off stage antics, and worse, of some of the actors as published in our always obliging (and desperate) tabloids. The show is heavily over-produced with no feel of natural, live action. There is an attempt to represent poverty by an atmosphere of depression and by ominous comments permeated throughout the show, causing the weak attempts to lighten up with humour to come off as inappropriate. Many of the actors, maybe encouraged by the direction, seem to think they can portray a "grim" character simply by laying on the muttering and heavy breathing. With modern microphone technology an actor doesn't even need to have a powerful voice, and this show is a good example, typified by the numerous whispering dramas in the "Queen Vic", the only pub in the country where you can have a conversation in whispers while disco music is playing!
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.