Reviews

Bunraku (2010)
Far, FAR better than it's current IMDb score would suggest
5 August 2012
I'll keep my review of this wonderful movie brief. For sheer entertainment value, you need go no further. It delvers on all levels. From the astonishing fight choreography to the comic-book sets, Bunraku is the perfect escape from the doldrums of everyday life. It's eerily accurate in the I-just-don't-know-what-I-want-to-watch category. Josh Hartnett, Gackt, and Woody Harrelson are all three perfectly cast, and really, the only person that was miscast was Ron Perlman. And even miscast, he still did a wonderful job. This is a movie I'd heard very little about, and just happened across it while perusing IMDb. I'm very glad I did. It's a double-caffeinated kick in the pants.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bullhead (2011)
A Brilliant, Brutal, Sad, Fantastic, and Hard-To-Watch, Incredible Display of Acting and Directing
21 July 2012
I stumbled across this movie last night, and, although I'd no idea who the director or any of the actors are, based on the reviews, and especially the trailer, I decided to take a look.

I'm both sorry and glad I did.

I think the lead actor in this movie, Matthias Schoenaerts (who, incidentally, should have been cast as Bane in Batman Rises. He IS Bane) has a bright future in Hollywood. Certainly I know I'll be checking out his other movies, now that I'm aware of him.

Bullhead constantly threw me for a loop and kept me on my toes all at the same time.

The obvious simpatico between director Michael R. Roskam and Mr. Schoenaerts is evident in the constant tension and slight unease that's able to be maintained throughout the entire movie, even during the "softer" (if you can call them that) moments of the film. The scenes of Jacky, alone in his room/apartment are very powerful.

Jacky's alienation and rage make us, the viewer both nervous, as though he'll somehow be able to reach through the screen and bring us, kicking and screaming into his brutal world, and sympathetic as we're able to see the reason for this young man's pain.

The Oscar nomination (I've forgotten if it won or not, but if it didn't it should have) was well deserved, and I look forward to great things from this wonderful young actor.

Hoss.
22 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spartan (2004)
Oh my god! This movie sucked!
12 March 2004
Im not normally one to make such a bold statement but the acting was completely subpar for everyone involved, especially for an actor the caliber of William H Macy (I gave up on Val Kilmer some time ago). And the script, atrocious. Sorry

if I offend, but I have to call it like I see it.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ghost Warrior (1984)
A very good movie, better than its score indicates.
14 July 2003
When I first saw this movie, I was quickly taken by it and impressed. Sure it was a low budget movie and I wasnt expecting Gone With The Wind, but I certainly was not expecting as much bang for the buck as I got. I recommend this little jewel to anyone who is willing to watch it. You would not be disappointed.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best movies you haven't seen.
20 March 2003
This was the first movie that I ever saw Billy Bob Thornton in and only the third that I had seen Bill Paxton in. After having seen many more from both actors, I should say that this is undoubtedly one of the best performances I have seen either actor turn in. And on top of things, we were able to get the EXCELLENT Michael Beach as Pluto. I am simply amazed as to how this movie was as overlooked as it was when Oscar time came around the year this came out. Well if we have learned anything, my fellow movie buffs, its that the "academy" is a bunch of monetarily motivated horses asses. They should let people like us, just every day joes, decide who the oscar goes to. Just my .02
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Probably the best movie you've never seen
5 September 2001
I saw this movie for the first time about ten years ago, and was absolutely impressed on every level. The acting done is fantastic, and far beyond what you would expect from such a small budget. The directing leaves you with memorable scenes and the point is clearly made, big money does not equal big talent. Do not let this movie pass you by!
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.