Meditative and beautiful
15 October 2018
Very good follow up for director Debra Granik after her indie hit "Winter's Bone" . With a similar quietness and the major character of nature she portrays the lives of two outsiders who live in the woods until their lives is interrupted by a little mistake. The film portrays two very interesting characters. Especially the one played by Ben Foster is fascinating in a way because the audience knows it is a character full of secrets and not many are revealed during the curse of the film. Foster gives a fantastic performance and really brought that character to live. Thomasin McKenzie is also very good, playing his daughter who more and more struggles with the life path her father chose for them. It is a great breakthrough performance and I am sure we will see more of McKenzie in the future. Girl got great talent. It was nice to see Dale Dickey in a very human and friendly role. Indeed an underrated and versatile actress. The score was beautiful was was the cinematography and the capture of nature in its purest. Its a very meditative movie to sink in and follow the lives of two very special characters.
22 July (2018)
Sad and disturbing
11 October 2018
It was a decent movie. The first half was in the tradition of Paul Greengrass' "United 93" , a more or less realistic description of a brutal and cruel attack. The film itself however concentrates more on the aftermath and tells the story out of the perspective of one victim and the attacker himself which was the right decision for a film like this. There is another film that depicts the Norwegian terror attack from 2011, called "Utoya" which is a better film I urgently recommend to see. This was stil different because it did not emphasize on the attack itself but rather the outcome and gives us a view into the totally disturbing mind of Anders Breivik. The acting is good enough. Anders Danielsen Lie is truly good and really makes his character uncomfortable to watch which made the performance even better. I really loved Jonas Strand Gravil who plays one of the victim and the one the film mostly concentrates on. The images and cuts are similar to most Greengrass films, so he is faithful to his style. Not his greatest work but a very watchable non-fiction.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yes, Bradley Cooper is ALL that
8 October 2018
They should just throw every Oscar at it and call it a day. A really fantastic film, emotionally haunting and absolutely stunning acted. The songs were perfectly performed and put in scene. Its natural without the typical Hollywood kitsch or cliche. Its honest and makes you think. All in all a big winner. Bradley Cooper is absolutely STUNNING in the lead role. I am not sure what else will come out to beat that performance. Yes, he is all that. A fine actor generally but this is his role of his life, this is what will in the future define him. Such a troubled character, that easily could have been overdone, but he found literarily every right note to portray it. Lady Gaga is also great, and one of the better examples of singer-turned-actor. She wonderfully developed Ally and becomes her from the first to the last second even if her character changes so much that its totally different in the end. Yes, it somehow shows the parallels to her own personality and life, how she developed in becoming the pop icon she is . When she sang "Shallows" the first time, it was one of those cinematic moments that will always be remembered. A great performance, I had my doubts, but they were shredded. Oh and if that is not enough, there is Sam Elliott who puts a lot of heart and soul to the film. Finally a performance this great actor deserves and that surely will leave some mark this award season. All his scenes are brilliantly performed and its such a deep and natural performance. The songs are wonderful, the look and editing is just great. The screenplay is very good. There were little lengths in the second third of the film but it never dragged thanks to the fantastic direction by Bradley Cooper. A film that wowed me... drove me emotionally crazy and will have a spot in my heart for a long time. Dear Mr. Cooper, this was just your first directional effort, I simply cannot wait for your next. You know how to portray a film naturally without any fake melodramatic nonsense. Excellent.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Private Life (2018)
Top notch character dramedy
7 October 2018
An interesting portrait of a couple who tries everything to fulfill their dream and become parents but forgetting what their relationship is all about in the process. A very personal film that handles about a very personal topic, wonderfully put in scene and written by Tamara Jenkins who finally presents us a follow up project after "The Savages" and it is just as realistic and natural. To make a rather sad and to some extends tragic story a dramedy thanks to very well chosen comedic moments was the right decision. She found two great actors who both know how to do drama and comedy and the mix of that. Paul Giamatti absolutely shines and gives one of his best performances in ages. The quality of his performance goes back to his "Sideways" days. Kathryn Hahn once again proves her talent as one of the most underrated versatile actresses of her generation. Glad she got to show her acting powers in such a juicey role. John Caroll Lynch also gets to show that he not only can plays psychopaths and losers. Molly Shannon is wonderful in a supporting role and commands every scene she is in. Another great performance by another great and underrated actress.Kayli Carter is a great new discovery and she will go places. An intimate portrait of a marriage that is put to a test. Absolutely recommendable.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
King Lear (2018 TV Movie)
Fine Adaptation
6 October 2018
Greatly cast adaptation of one of William Shakespeare's greatest works. As most modern Shakespeare adaptation also this one takes place during contemporary days with the original language (or most of it). You can either love it or hate it. The cast is tremendous. The ensemble is lead by Anthony Hopkins who is of course born to play that role and it feels like he waited his whole career to take advantage of that role. A great performance by a wonderful character actor. Emma Thompson was fine, but she can do better. She was often on the edge of overacting. Still a nice coup to have her playing one of Lear's daughters. Emily Watson was good, also on the edge of overacting but it suited her role much better. I really liked Florence Pugh who was perfectly cast in the role of Cordellia. And another fantastic and memorable turn by Jim Broadbent. The look was great. A very good cinematography and moving score added to the experience. It did have some lengths but overall it was a good adaptation mostly thanks to Sir Hopkins and a solid direction by Richard Eyre.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Venom (2018)
Fine entertainment but a wasted opportunity nevertheless
4 October 2018
I really looked forward to another (anti) superhero movie in the tradition of "Deadpool". While the film was not bad at all, it does not reach the cult league of the formerly mentioned. The film had many good aspects. The most one to focus on is surely the casting coup of Tom Hardy who was a blessing for the film. He nailed the role perfectly and was able to add a lot of self irony to the film without forgetting to take his character serious (as much as it gets). The other great moments was when actual Venom was on screen, especially in the first half. And there is also the first problem. The film deserved to have more on-screen Venom and in the second half of the film the character lost a bit of its appeal and somehow his origins. They could have made more out of it and that role and generally had potential to make the film much darker but I guess they aspired the PG 13 rating too hard. Besides Tom Hardy we have the Reuben Fleischer had the great opportunity to have the wonderful Michelle Williams on board. However with that screenplay and her role it was impossible to use her full potential so she was more or less wasted. Kudos to Williams that she really tried to make the best out of it. Riz Ahmed was an interesting choice for the villain and it worked. The ending was a bit anti climatic. There were a couple of entertaining action sequences and exciting editing. The soundtrack worked and there is a great came of Woody Harrelson that really makes me hungry for a Carnage movie with him the title role. However, I dont think the world will need a "Venom" sequel. Nice try, not a failure but wasted opportunity.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eighth Grade (2018)
Brutally honest
2 October 2018
A brutally honest, natural and realistic look at a teenage girl on the edge of high school who hasn't found herself nor her place in live yet. She goes through so many different and awkward situations in her live just because she wants to fit in, be recognized, be heard. It is so relatable in many ways which made it just great. I just kept screaming at the screaming: Girl dont do that..... because we all know how certain things ended up. And no matter how popular we were at school, we all went through awkward situations. Elsie Fisher perfectly portrays this coming of age girl with the right charm and depth that is needed for the role. For sure one of the most beautiful performances of this year and one that will definitely go down as the most interesting and memorable breakthrough performances. Another clap for Josh Hamilton who was simply perfect as her good hearted and wise father. A guy who really understands the trouble of a teenager and tries to make the best out of it and tries to do things right, and even tho he does, he still do them all wrong. A great character and a very warm hearted performance by Hamilton. A great reason why this film works so good is that it doesnt show you a depressing or bleak view on those hard years, no, the film is actually quite funny and plays well on the thin line between drama and comedy. It has a fantastic soundtrack and even that had some comedic timing. Definitely a worthy film and one of the most relatable things in years.
Maniac (2018– )
I guess just not my cup of tea
1 October 2018
Well, what can I say after all those raves and great words about that show. It just did not really reach me... or it just was not my kind of thing. I don'T know, I just could not relate to it or grow a fascination for it. It is not a bad mini series, in fact it is very creative, deep and philosophical. Too philosophical for my taste. But not David Lynch like philosophical, although it tried. But Cary Joji Fukanaka is no David Lynch. At least not yet. But I see his potential. Beasts of No Nation was great. This follow up was .. well.. fine. I can really respect its creativity and I truly appreciate its retro SciFi style. The thing is just neither the story nor the characters really touched me. Jonah Hill and Emma Stone were decent, but but can do better. Their best performances were in my favorite episode, #9. Hill was beyond hilarious and Stone really showed great emotions at th end of that episode. There were many little milestones like that during the show, but also some episodes that really dragged and were just boring? Useless? Well not useless because in the end it all made sense, especially if you loved to interpret poems and things back in school. Oh and then there was Sally Field who was really great. Loved her and loved how she owned very scene. One of her best performances recently. Gabriel Byrne was also good but Justin Theroux was a bit too over the top for my taste. I thought Sonoya Mizuno was cute and her performance was really a good for most of the time. The soundtrack worked as well and the ending was somehow bittersweet. Still, it is a show that really dragged for me and part of me was happy when it was over.
A great acting showcase for Emma Thompson
26 September 2018
Pretty decent courtroom turns into morality drama with some good performances. The films story is pretty simple and that is its biggest flaw I guess. While I do like simplistic stories if the filmmakers know what to do with it, here it was the opposite. The story was good enough for an extended short film but you felt that director Richard Eyre, who is a champion of melodramatic charatcter cinema, had trouble filling the last 45 minutes of the film with story and especially quality. He turns a pretty good topic into a soap opera on the edge of corniness. I have not read the original novel, so maybe the author had similar troubles. Thanks to the great and one and only Emma Thompson the film is still worth to see to the end. She turns into one of her finest recent performances and really fills the film with live and a lot of class. She had some really great acting moments, even in those weaker sections of the film. A great role for a fantastic actress. Stanley Tucci was fine. His role was a bit underwritten but he tried to make most of it. I was not a big fan of Fionn Whitehead. I guess his performance in "Dunkirk" was too quiet so he tried to give it all here but really overacted the role and sometimes made his character even a bit unbelievable. Generally fine character cinema that deserved to be better and I generally love those rare movies Richard Eyre pulls out. This was one of his weaker efforts. Still a good enough film thanks to the great Ms. Thompson and the general topic of the film that really made you think during the film.
Nice kiddie Horror
23 September 2018
It was a decent horror adventure for children. What I liked about it was that it was quite old fashioned in its execution and story telling. As an adult it was still relatable in many ways and although it had some lengths I must say it was somehow fine entertainment. You see that Eli Roth has his roots in adult horror and some scenes might have been a bit too scary for the young audience, at least that what I gathered from my fellow cinema audience which mostly were children. Jack Black was pretty good in the leading role and absolutely right to play that role. He overdid it a bit at times but it was a fine performance. Interesting to see Cate Blanchett in such a rather secondary role. She was a bit underused, except for one fantastic scene/Monolgoue she had. Still it was nice to see her doing a quirky and funny character like Florence Zimmernann. I wished for more of Kyle MacLachlan, but it was an inspired casting choice. I wasnt too fond of the leading kid Owen Vaccaro. I mean he had some good moments but generally the performance was a bit weak. Sunny Suljic gave the better child performance. The effects were good, the score nice and the production design very beautiful. Its not a film to remember but it was a decent gig for kids.
Game Night (I) (2018)
Much funnier than expected
12 September 2018
Much better than I expected and already so far one of the funniest and craziest film of the year. Great entertainment from the beginning to the end even if it is often a bit over the top and not always logic, especially after the twist but its hell of a lot of fun due its great comedic timing and really, really fun characters. Jason Bateman's humor works here just perfectly, even if the character he plays is the usual thing he does, it fits. Rachel McAdams was often a bit over the top and really portrayed her character in a too silly way, but she was still charming and made the character work in the end. Bill Magnussen was surprisingly funny and he has a hell of a great character who deserves a spin off or even his own show. His chemistry and comedic timing with Sharon Horgan was fantastic. The true star of the film was Jesse Plemons however. He stole every scene and owned it. Such a hilarious performance! He is really good in playing the good hearted creep. Kyle Chandler also has an unusual fresh turn. Nice to see him not in a serious role or character. The soundtrack was original but fitted the energy of the film. I liked the screenplay and some of the little twists. Definitely a fun and entertaining movie that has a huge rewatch value.
Predticable and mediocre
8 September 2018
I liked the concept but the turn out was just another mediocre teen film with just a bit of substance. I did not think the actors were great or anything nor the outcome of the story which was predictable until the level of boredom. Lana Condor was fine enough and I had not issue with her but the rest of the cast was just either wooden or annoying. Especially Anna Cathcart. The film had some funny moments which lit it up and made it bearable because even with that short running time it had some incredible lengths in the end. The soundtrack was fine but it was just too straight forward.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A huge back of cheese and sugar
5 September 2018
Well what can I say. This was a huge bag of cheese. Sweet sugar like disgusting cheese. It just looked too clean to fake too "perfect" . Too bad the essence of the film was far from perfect. I think the story is quite good - if executed well. I dont think Ava Duvernay was the right choice for this. The film was corny beyond any believes. Okay. Lets focus on the positive things. It did have one or two good moments and the kids did a fine job. Especially Storm Reid was good. Levi Miller was okay tho he had more or less just one facial expression. Deric McCabe was a little annoying but had you got used to it and you ended up finding him even adorable at times. Now the film was bearable (not good) when the kids were on screen and the three adult leads were not. Oprah Winfrey was just being herself just much... bigger.... Reese Witherspoon was truly awful. One of her worst performances. Mindy Kalingw was annoying. Gugu Mbatha-Raw and especially Chris Pine did the best they could with the material given to them. The film had a nice soundtrack (tho the songs came a bit off at times during the film) and the moral aspects were also interesting. I think with a director who did not try to make it look like a bad Walt Disney attraction the material could have been great for a really good and inspired film. All of that this one was not.
Sharp Objects (2018– )
Perfectly cast adaptation
3 September 2018
I liked the book which was a very solid and defining debut for Gillian Flynn. What I loved about the series is that it is one of the most perfectly cast shows or adaptations in general like ever. Every character in the film is just how you imagine them from reading the novel. Amy Adams gives ones again a tremendous performance that surely had been an Oscar role for her if it had been a feature adaptation as originally planned. She should be a shoe in for Golden Globe and Emmy however. A great well layered performance that finally and after all gets her nice girl next door image away. Patricia Clarkson is perfectly cast as the mother. What a fantastic casting gig. The performance did not always work for me as she was sometimes overacting and campier than the characters asks for but still a decent performance in the end. The best performance besides Adams or even a top of Adams came from Australian now comer Eliza Scanlan who will have a bright future. She was absolutely right for Amma and totally understood and interpreted that character. A fantastic break through turn. Finally Matt Craven gets a large and juicy role to put his teeth into. Really enjoyed him and he also was just as you imagined the role to be from the book. Chris Messina was okay and possibly the weakest of the main ensemble. Elizabeth Perkins had her moments but it was a bit distracting that they made the role larger than I remember it from the book. The show had a fantastic soundtrack and wonderful direction by Jean-Marc Vallée. He has a perfect feel for his actors and characters. Its not as mind blowing as Big Little Lies but another great movie like limited mini series by him. The twist at the end is pefeclty put into scene.
The Michelle Pfeiffer show
30 August 2018
Not bad as it is an interesting story and I am surprised nobody came up with it before yet because it is simple and effective. Sure the film had some slow moments and was a bit stretched at times but wonderfully lived from the performance by Michelle Pfeiffer who really turns into one of her best showcases in years. A great gig for her and the prove that this actress deserves way more leading roles than she got in the past years. It is a nuanced performance that works on many different layers and all of them are absolutely believable. Its not an easy character to identify with, in fact you often do not know whether to like her to hate her, whether to feel pity of her or despise her. Pfeiffer perfectly walks on that boarder. Kiefer Sutherland wonderfully supports her. I am surprised he did not get more word or attention for this. Also a really great performance. I was not a big fan of the dark and bleak atmosphere but I guess it fitted the mood. Its a strong character movie that shows how far people would get to escape their misery. Its dark, sad and not always satisfying but it in some ways is honest. I think it did deserve a better screenplay around that story but other than that I appreciate it as a powerful award vehicle for Ms. Pfeiffer.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hawke was great - the rest rather forgetable
28 August 2018
Not a fan. I found the film rather slow and the work out of the story did not really catch me and I lost interested quite soon. I understood the intentions and that Paul Schrader described the downfall of a priest with many other psychological aspects, pretty much like Taxi Driver in a church, however I found It quite boring to be honest. I guess after all the talk my expectations were just too high for it. It did have good qualities however. First and for most: Ethan Hawke. A tremendous performance, that saved the film from becoming irrelevant. Its one of his best turns as an actor and quite memorable. What I also really liked was the great cinematography. A very underrated feature of the film. Amanda Seyfried was also not bad at all and finally escaped a little bit of her image. Surprised by Cedric the Entertainer in such a serious role and he pulled it off very well. Still I think the execution of that interesting story could have been more affective. Thanks for Ethan Hawke, because even tho I was not a fan of the film, I truly think he should be recognized for this.
Schockingly relevant
27 August 2018
An important and absolutely relevant film these days. I loved how Spike Lee mixed history with little hints of today's political situation sometimes more literal than expected. Lee portrays racism as an never ending conflict and war but also kind of spoofs it in a very respectful way. Even if some of the characters were too cartoonish for my taste. Like Connie. Nevertheless it was an important and effectly entertaining ride that gives us some of the best performances of the years at this stage. First of all there is Denzel's son John David Washington's who inheritated his fathers talent and follows his legacy. Another great performance came from Adam Driver who is Devine and steals many of the films scenes. Jasper Päakkönen gives possibly the best performance in the film. Sure his character appears to be very cartoonish too, on the paper however he is convincing with his rough and sometimes frightening aura. Laura Harrier was also wonderful and gives the film the right heart and soul. Nice change for Topher Grace in an unexpected role. Great cameo by Alec Baldwi. The score was fantastic, some editing really wonderful. Its your typical Spike Lee joint... as it was made in the 90s so glad he is back to good quality films again. The screenplay was very good as well and I loved the general look of it. Good film with many great references of the actual situation. The ending footage was heartbreaking and the most perfect way to end a film like this.
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Mercy (2018)
Dramatic but interesting and kind of unexpected
15 August 2018
A fine follow up for James Marsh after his Oscar nominated "The Theory of Everything" This film is about a amateur sailor who hits the sea because he takes part in a competition to become the fast sailor to cross the sea on a boat ... If you expect a survival drama a la "All is Lost" you will be mistaken. Sure the film is also about survival.... physically but also mentally because it challenges its protagonist with a lot of moralic questions and situations. In fact the protagonist does it himself. The film is about overcoming your mistakes and if you are able to face them or not. Colin Firth is really good in the leading role and his casting was quite inspired. He gives one of his very best post Oscar performances. I also love how he developed. A truly interesting character for a great actor. Rachel Weisz was also fine, but often the material she was given to, did not justify her great talent. It was a rather seconary role that at least allowed her to show off at the end. The film had many nice shots, a really great score by late Johan Johannsson who delivered one of his last scores to that film. A great and rather unexpected ending (if you dont know the true story). Highly recommended to those who enjoy good acting cinema.
Extinction (2018)
Wait for the second half
13 August 2018
Okay I must say it was one of those films that truly develop during the watching experience. At first it starts like your usual alien invaion film, ultra boring and your standard fare. But then there is a twist and the film got a total turn around and new perspective, It actually became interesting, dramatic and thoughtprovoking. It was nice to see Michael Pena in a leading role, which is rare. He was quite well. Lizzie Caplan was also decent enough. I liked the two girls as well. Otherwise it was just rather mediocre on the acting department. The effects looked a bit cheap at times, as did the costume work. The editing was good and the score as well. I really think a lot of people actually switched it off after the first half hour or the first encounter with the strangers, but I think it deserves to be given a chance as there is an explanation for many things that seem to be a directional error or cheap effect/look.
Tomb Raider (2018)
This was not necessary
11 August 2018
It was a fine reboot that offered a good first third and a decent last third, the problem of the film was the scene in between that felt dried out and had extreme lengths. It was also not really anything new or anything that we had seen before. It did not have enough drama and (unpredictable ) twists. Alicia Vikander held herself very well as a young version of the famous computer game character. She was a good choice for the more innocent and unexperienced Lara Croft. She had the right tenderness for the role. Dominic West was good enough but nothing really special. Walter Goggins made a good villain, he is born to play roles like that.... they just need to be more edgier so he can put out all his acting weapons, not one dimensional characters like that. But that is a common problem with the film, it was too one dimensional in all aspects. While it offered many good scenes and very good choreography for the acting and fight scenes as well as some really nice scenery the screenplay was a major let down. Still better than the Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider films. Oh and I really liked Nick Frost's character He should have been somehow Lara's sidekick the whole movie.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hopefully they'll never "go again".
9 August 2018
Well it was as expected as soft and cheesey as the first part. To be honest what else can you ask for a Sequel to a movie Version of an Abba Musical. ´Still the film is even weaker than the first part as I thought the acting was truely terrible here and the Story line, while intersting, did not really make much of an effort to catch me as the audience. Lily James as the young Version of Meryl Streep's Donna did not work for me at all. While the corny Performance by Streep in the original worked and was somehow even natural, here it felt forced, fake and absolutely overthetop. Amanda Seyfried was okay but really did not have many powerful Moments, except for the very last Scene in which she shined. I expected more from Cher because based on the Trailer I hoped it was more than just an Extended cameo. Streep's appearance was even more disappointing. She did have the best acted and most emotional Scene in the film but still, the fate of her character was a bit, well , unappealing Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgard and especially Pierce Brosnan were fun. Their younger versions not so much. Always like Julie Walters and Christine Baranski who were good Sidekicks. The Songs, which I love are Always great, however even that part was disappointing because they were oftne not fully sung or weakly sung or sung during the wrong Scenes and silly choreography. Oh well it was nice Entertainment in the end, but I dont think we Need any more Mamma Mia movies.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The franchise is getting better and better
3 August 2018
Tom Cruise was solid and it was again a walk in the park for him. His stunts were thrilling and indeed "impossible" . I wasnt a fan of Henry Cavill as he was his usual boring self. Always good to see Rebecca Ferguson, especially in that role she truly shines. Simon Pegg and Ving Rhames were fun sidekicks. I liked Sean Harris more in the first one but he was still giving me the creeps. Great turn by Alec Baldwin who thankfully got more to do than in the last installment. Nice addition of Angela Basset. Also glad they resurrected Michelle Monaghan. That girls needs to do more films.The score as great, the cinematography excellent and the editing nearly perfect. The chase scene through Paris was one of the greatest action scenes of the last years. I think Cruise found his directional master in Christopher McQuarrie. I already look forward to the next part. Ethan Hunt is still no James Bond but he is on the best way to become one...
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Commuter (I) (2018)
Entertainern yes - but the concept is really overused now
1 August 2018
Actually very entertaining but also quite common Liam Neeson auctioner that was really full of holes like Swiss cheese. Too bad, because it had some tense and fine style as well as interesting cinematography but the problem was that the format is really dried out now... we saw the same kind of thing in "Non-Stop" by the same actor/director duo and this time the story just takes place on a train and is even more unbelievable just like many of the stunts. Too bad that a good cast was wasted. Next to Liam Neeson, who really was not in top form here, we have Vera Farmiga in a wasted role that mostly focuses on a voice performance only. Sam Neill who was also quite non existing except for the beginning and ending. But I always love to see him. Patrick Wilson did his usual boring thing. Good to see Jonathan Banks and Elizabeth McGovern who almost had no lines. The score was good some effects decent and it never got boring but even if you try to switch off the logic you just can't, its so illogical its funny how it got a green light. Oh well never change a winning team or concept I think... but maybe its time to do so now.
Good sequel - better than part 1
29 July 2018
It was a good sequel that I liked more than the first part because it had more interesting and personal story. It was not your typical MCU fare but really had an individual and also emotional story to tell. Paul Rudd was fun but it was Evangeline Lilly who was the scene stealer along with a fine Michael Douglas. Michelle Pfeiffer was unfortunately a bit underused, I hoped for more of her acting weapons. Michael Pena was again the scene stealer. Laurence Fishburne had some good moments. The action was good as well as the visual effects. Good score and cinematography mix it up as a nice fun adventure. The screenplay makes sure we get interesting characters and conflicts. I loved the post credit scene which made me wish for much more quick. Ant-Man is probably the most underrated Marvel hero but here he proved his qualities as a leading hero. The connections between the characters was what kept me interested from the beginning to the end.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing New
8 July 2018
Tolerable father son adventure comedy but really nothing special our outstanding. A father tries to reunite and connect to his son by going with him on a hunting trip, which is not only showing him about his profession but also a family tradition, but of course the young boy doesnt really care for that. Yeah the story is noting new or special at all nor is it very inspired. The film however has good qualities in the acting department. Josh Brolin was great and took his role very seriously. Good performance. Also Montana Jordan was pretty good as his son. Danny McBride tolerable as the sidekick. The film had beautiful images and a very nice cinematography. But besides that it fell rather flat and even at the rather short running time often appeared to be overlong and boring. The father son thing was predictable and something we saw in dozens of variations hundreds of times on screen already. Still it was not a complete waste of time, but probably could have been much better.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.