Reviews

2,169 Reviews
good story and no The Exorcist rip-off
15 July 2019
Based on true events and about exorcism always makes me a bit suspicious. Beacuse which exorcism flick could beat those from the heydays of horror and isn't based on The Exorcist(1973).

But let me say, it wasn't bad after all and it's more about the mystery than about the exorcism itself. And that's the good thing but also the letdown for the geeks looking for green vomit and ugly faces. It does have scene's about the possession itself and they looked 'believable'.

Taking place in Romania does add towards the atmosphere of the flick. And of course not spoiling it you do know what is going to happen with the main lead. Acting was above mediocre and the erotism added gave it a bit of a thtrowback to the old flicks.

Ideal to start your creepy evening with this flick, some will turn their face away because the scary parts and exorcism is really well done. Not bad after all.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0,5/5 Effects 2,5/5 Story 3/5 Comedy 0/5
The Bad Man (2018)
what could be a nasty horror turns in a joke
15 July 2019
Nowadays with the revival of the killer clowns productions are trying to make money out of it. And let me say, some succeed and some, like this one doesn't. The story looked promising and even original. Bring in some kinky story with fetish, latex, SM and all that stuff and you do have a story...I thought.

Sadly this one fails bringing in the horror. It brings in the typical scary jump parts with the clown but once he does invade the home this flick drops down into a boring thing. Even as the clown is doing it's best to make it scary somehow it doesn't. What happens is in stead of having the heebee jeebees I became ridiculous and funny which wasn't intended. The horror just moves away after a while.

At the end with the rock, you will see, even that part is done off-camera to only show the result and even that is so wrong. Is that the only flesh left behind?

No, the bad man is more a joke.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 1/5 Story 1,5/5 Comedy 0/5
top notch
13 July 2019
Okay, it took 2 years before I watched this flick. Reason was simple, I had to be in the mood to watch and and do have some time because almost clocking in way over 2 hours it's a hard one to watch because seen the original I did know that it was not going to be a simple one to view.

I can be very simple about it, Denis Villeneuve directed it and have seen Arrival (2016) I knew that this was going to be good, was I wrong, it was utterly sublime. The way it was shot, the score used by French band M83, the editing, the acting, it was all well done. If you are into cinematography then it's a must see. Some did even stated it a masterpiece, maybe that's true, because it never bored me one second. Even as it is very slow and sometimes a bit hard to understand.

Even Batista shows that he has acting skills, even Harrison Ford is top notch, not that I ever doubted that but to pick it all up after all those years.

Again, it shows that Ryan Gosling is a hell of an actor, and that you don't have to go for blockbusters to see a great movie.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0,5/5 Effects 4/5 Story 3,5/5 Comedy 0/5
Us (2019)
starts of topnotch but when the supernatural comes in I lost it
11 July 2019
Another hyped horror from 2019 and after seen it finally, let me say overhyped. Firts of all, the story is original but towards the end it get's a bit weird and unbelievable. The acting i could dig because all of them had to do a double role.

But for the geeks out there. All killings are done off-camera which makes it naturally a downgrade for the fans of gore or red stuff. The flick itself starts very well and I was really sucked into the story but after a while when must I say the supernatural comes above it's when I lost my attention somehow.

A big cheer on the other hand that all actors in main lead where black people. Finally Hollywood get's it after a few years of trouble about that fact So after all, well above mediocre but not the most scary one of the year.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 2/5 Story 2,5/5 Comedy 0/5
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Leprechaun Returns (2018 TV Movie)
cheesy
6 July 2019
Leprechaun (1993) wasn't really my thing due the fact that it was super cheesy and otherhands made in the era that horror was a no-go. Flicks from that era weren't the best of the genre and we had to wait until 1996 with Scream that started the new horror genre still running today. But back to the return.

Killings are okay and a bit gory but the story isn't believable and acting isn't what it supposed to be. Even the sound of doors aren't lipsyns. But hey, it's just there for fun. They do stupid things, the decapitaion, really, if you see the knifes coming I'm pretty sure you would hide away in stead of waiting for them.

The 'ghost' makes it even more cheesy and cheesy is what it's all about.

Gore 1/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 2,5/5 Story 2/5 Comedy 0/5
Pet Sematary (2019)
finally a good remake of a classic
21 June 2019
Not bad, not bad at all. And that for me one of those reviewers who isn't into King adaptions into movies. But here, the movie did really works.

I ain't gonna compare it with the original because effects are really different. I was in this movie from the first moment and kept me attracted to the telee. Okay, it's not all that good, halfway it do slows down a bit but then picks up the horror again. Also surprised about the effects used just one the edge of gory.

I vdon't really understand the low rating, but I can say that teens who are going to watch it will be watching a rather creepy flick. Fianlly anopthet goor remake of a classic.

Gore 2/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 3/5 Story 3/5 Comedy 0/5
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Still/Born (2017)
typical cheap horror you could pick up at a supermarket
17 June 2019
It's a typical horror movie that you can find cheap in your supermarket. You know them, great creepy cover but the movie itself is terrible.

I picked this up only because Michael Ironside was in it. Legendary actor who did some amazing horrors himself. But here he's just in it for his name. Was it scary, never, was it believable , never. The ghost itself was a cheap rip-off of The Ring girl. Get it, long black hair and crazy moves.

Some do say, wow, the ax and the door, looks like The Shining (1980). Ahum, don't made me say a thing about that.

Overall, way under mediocre.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 1/5 Story 1,5/5 Comedy 0/5
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ideal for teens due the love story
12 June 2019
Somewhere it's connected to some people of Stranger Things so here we go, promoted with that connection. Of course by now I do know that such a thing isn't a good sign.

I watched it with my eleven (no pun intended) daughter ultra fan of Stranger Things. She did like it because it was simple, contained a lot of love story in it, ideal for teens. Further, when the 'reds' come in action she did find it stunning.

As an adult it was a letdown. I dig Stranger Things but this was just under mediocre. Starts off great but once all youth is connected in the van the flick collapses into a love story and the real story what it's all about do falls a bit away. Suddenly the 'Tracers' are back and action is back but when that's over again, the love comes back.

So ideal for teens but for adults or even Stranger Things addicts you just can skip it.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Story 1,5/5 Effects 2/5 Comedy 0/5
Somewhere between 2001 and Begotten
7 June 2019
Does this summary says enough? If you don't know what I mean let me explain. If you will have 100 geeks well I guess maybe 5 will like this kind of flick. It do has the feeling of 2001 A Space Odyssey. It is extremely slow and a pure throwback to Sci-Fy from the seventies without aliens.

The score used is also back to the eighties or late seventies, the colour grading on the other hand did remind me of Begotten (1990). Extra saturated moments and editing that also makes you go insane.

The story itself is simple as it could be, captured and trying to escape, as simple as that.

If you like your movies very weird this is your thing. If you like stories full of questions, pick it up. It do has a horror feeling here and there what makes it more weird. But I can agree with most reviewers, bad ending.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 3/5 Story 2,5/5 Comedy 0/5
not about the action
31 May 2019
Another Netflix flick with some really good thespians in it. The flick itself wasn't that bad. Can't say it's an action flick. It does contain actiona dn it do has suspense but it's more about things go wrong and how do you solve it.

So don't think you will see another The Town (2010) or Den Of Thieves (2018) which have a bit of the same summary, go for the money and then things go really awry.

Don't get me wrong. it isn't that bad if you can dig a story that looks like an action but is more about friends for life and how to move through life with some terrible issues. Still worth seeing because the movie was over before you know it even as it clocks in over 2 hours.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 2/5 Story 3/5 Comedy 0/5
The Silence (2019)
creatures are headlining but the story slowly moves away from them
31 May 2019
Just a mediocre horror flick I don't have to say more about it. So typical, what starts off pretty good turns into a flick with a weak storyline. What the hell are those people doing there in that particular city. What have they to do with the creatures. What with the ending? How did they find where they have to go?

But the beginning is a good start and only for that you should pick it up. Promoted with the Sabrina series background because two from that serie are in it. as said, mediocre because halfway it turns away from the creatures...

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 3/5 Story 1,5/5 Comedy 0/5
not bad, but weird
31 May 2019
And so it was told here in the newspapers and social medie. The new flick on Netflix did make people sick or even vomit at their homes. Of course after Hereditary where the same was told I wasn't sure about The Perfection.

A slow starter that is just on the edge of boredom so I thought, hell, people afe writing about the bus, so I waited until the bus and I must say, it turns into a horror. And I can understand people are set up about the scene's on the bus but for horror geeks it isn't that heavy on any parts.

The originality lays in the fact how this movie evolves and is edited. Somehow it made me think of Brian De Palma. It do contain a lot of twist and you can't take it all that seriously. Towards the end the horror comes back in.

Overhyped indeed and a lot are fed up with thiw kind of promotion but look, I watched it also so I did dig the promotion. Was it bad, not at all, not for the squeamish, honestly, a weird flick.

Gore 0,5/5 Nudity 0,5/5 Effects 3/5 Story 3/5 Comedy 0/5
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
just above mediocre, but worth seeing
22 May 2019
Simple story, low budget and still watchable even as the girls do stupid things like almost waiting to die. But it has all the things a slasher needs. A hero, nudity, POV.

Okay, this isn't going to win any awards but the effort done to make it a feast for horror geeks is satisfying. It isn't really weak because it contains a few killings, nothing original but it do works and all done on-camera. Maybe you can easily spot how it's done but as said, it works.

It's one for the boys because all girls do wander around sexy and of course one has to show it all in the shower. Overall, above mediocre, nothing new, nothing scary but a good ode to teh heydays of slashers.

Gore 0,5/5 Nudity 1/5 Effects 2/5 Story 2/5 Comedy 0/5
the one that started Terrifier
17 May 2019
Never heard of this flick until I watched Terrifier (2016). And seeing this cover I immediately picked it up because this was the original flick with the scary clown. It isn't as good or say, gory as Terrifier but still worth watching.

The story you will have seen a thousand times. People watching an old VHS to see some story on it, and by the end they are on the VHS. So it starts off rather on a low base of scares and horror and effects are one the cheesy side but it's until the last story that this low budget turns intoa gory flick. Naturally Terrifier is based on the last part and killings and slaughtering are the same. Nevertheless, it's worth to see how a flick can evolve in 3 years time.

So a flick that starts way below mediocre but the further it moves the better it gets, recommend it for horror geeks, gorehounds better skip it and move towards Terrifier.

Gore 2/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 2/5 Story 3/5 Comedy 0/5
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
about Ted himself and not about the killings
7 May 2019
Zac Afron for me is one of those posterguys my daughters grew up with, you guessed it, HSM. Once you are a teen idol it's hard to get job with seriues acting. I came across him years later with the funny Baywatch (2017) but even there he was the idol.

So when told he was going to perform one of those notorious serial killers for me it was like, omg, I will give it a try but let's hope he can get away with it. And luckily he did. He's believable.

The movie itself, as it is about a serial killer, doesn't show the killings or slaying of the victims. It's all about Ted himself and his ego. For horror geeks it can be a letdown due not one killing is shown but for those who has seen the shots made in court or the interviews with him will be happy. Some famous moves from him are redone by Zac. At the end of the movie you can see the footage of Ted that has been redone in this movie.

So for teens it's ideal to meet the era of the serial killers with two famous names for them, Zac and Lily Collins. Angela Sarafyan is there too but not that much but again, all top notch here and well casted.

If your world is serial killers, watch it, if you want more about Ted himself, watch it, if you want a horror movie, drop it as imple as that.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 0/5 Story 4/5 Comedy 0/5
Terrifier (2016)
old school slasher but with a lack of suspense but worth seeing for the gore
30 April 2019
Pro's and contra's on my side for this flick. If you watch this being a teen you will turn it off for so many reasons. If you are an old school geek like me then this offers a lot.

Starting this ultra gore one you will notice the color grading, a pure throwback to the heydays of the slashers. And once the opening credits are shown you will get it, this is going to be an ode to the slashers and seventies horrors.

Let that be the reason why teens will turn it off. Not used to see straight in your face horrors full of on-camera effects without the use of CGI. Is it all good, sadly it isn't. Some scene's are too long and there isn't really any suspense. Once the clown comes in you know what is coming, gore. Some reactions are strange or victims doing really stupid things that's what lowers my rating.

For lovers of seventies, eighties horror pick it up. Gorehounds can pick it up too, it's full of red stuff and torture that some will be disgusted.

Nice try this flick, and it was really a time ago that I've seen a horror with gore and effects like this.
not one minute boring
23 April 2019
Normally I'm not into movies with Jason Statham or Gerard Butler or those so-called macho flicks. But due the story I thought to give it a try. Suprised to like it or let me even say like it very much.

Clocking in over 2 hours is a hell of a time and most flicks clocking in at that time do have a boring moment. Let me say, this one hasn't. The acting is all above mediocre yes even 50 cent. Gerard is doing what he does best, the hard guy not to mess with.

From the first minute until the end I was into this flick. Not one drop or boring moment and even as it didn't go fast sometimes it added towards the suspense. Effects are good, story was good, just a hell of a movie, I was as stated suprised.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0,5/5 Effects 2/5 Story 4/5 Comedy 0/5
not for me but the 3D was stunning
16 April 2019
Took me a while to see this one but my wife saw it on a plane and said it was okay. I waited so long because the further we go into Spielberg movies the less I do like them. They are more ane more into a Disney fairytale. But when my father-in-law presented this on 3D to watch I did give it a try.

Starts off rather good with a lot of action going on, espescially the race with all those features that you will recognise when you are into gaming. But once that was over I didn't get a grip on this flick. It just didn't got my attention. Don't get me wrong, it isn't that bad but it isn't vintage Spielberg for me.

But they also told me to watch in in 3D because it do adds and I agree. Due computer animation they were able to exaggerate the 3D effects. They were stunning. Especially when they are in the virtual world. But again, I will forget this movie rather quickly for a Spielberg flick.

But teens will love this and gamers will love this, that I can assure you.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 5/5 Story 2,5/5 Comedy 0/5
The Dirt (2019)
a must see
28 March 2019
Growing up in the heydays of Motley Crew of course I was aware of all their shocking things they did in hotels and on tour, I knew their use of alcohol and drugs and even as I wasn't into their genre when I saw th etrailer for The Dirt on Netflix I wanted to see it immediately.

Must say, some things I didn't knew (Skylar) and even watching it with the knowledge I still had a WTF or a laugh on my face. It even goes over the top, and based on true events you just can't believe it, the blowjob girl for example.

The way the story is told with statements told towards the camera it makes it easy to swallow. Here and there you will here some music but the way the acting was done is top notch. And at the end you will see clips of the movie compared with the real Motley Crew and yes, they did look the same or did the same moves.

Just sit back, grap your Daniels with you and enjoy, drugs, freedom, a lot of nudity and some sadness here and there. I liked it.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 2/5 Effects 0/5 Story 4/5 Comedy 1/5
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suspiria (I) (2018)
not for every horror buff but some parts do deliver
26 March 2019
So many opinions about this flick.I have seen people writing about ugly choreography and stuff like that. Can't agree, the cinematheography and choreography are a pure thrown back to the original Suspiria (1977).

This one is more gory then the original but the use of oversaturated colours like the 1977 are here agian. So if you haven't seen the original it will be hard to understand.

And even after seen the original one you still be left with alot of questions. Not every horror geek will love this. There's a lot of ballet going on and a lot of talking. But when the creeps come in it's awkward or gory.

But for some it's all too late and way too long 2h30 minutes. Did I like it, have seen the original a few times maybe this one with the new effects is harder to watch but still, a difficult one to review and to watch, reasons known.

Gore 1,5/5 Nudity 2/5 Effects 3/5 Story 2,5/5 Comedy 0/5
3 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nails (I) (2017)
trailer looked promising, result was utterly boring
22 March 2019
Pushed on a Dutch site for horrors it came clear why. Dutch producer on board. Still, I can understand that you are promoting your flick but when it doesn't offer a thing then it really becomes laughable.

Opening was good, wife getting up preparing to go jogging, once outside she has a terrible accident. From there on it all takes place in a ghostly hospital. And from that moment nothing really happens except some jump scene's. Maybe you will jump, but not scary at all.

Even the story had nothing to cheer about. Not one bit of horror to me. And it could have had some potential, but it failed completely.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 0/5 Story 1/5 Comedy 0/5
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Upgrade (2018)
nice surprise
19 March 2019
Came across this one by reading that this was now available on DVD in our region. So I thought, should I give it a try because not everybody is fan of this kind of flick. Be honest, Blade Runner (1982° is still far the best AI flick.

But what was this, I loved it from start to the end. The effects used are really well done, the use of the camera, the steadycam, evrything to give this a special feeling do works out. And even as people say this is just anothetr SF flick I can say that even horror buffs can watch this because once the AI takes over some nasty things do appear and one killing is pure gore.

The fight scene's maybe you can laugh with it but for me it did work out and it was easy to see when human or humanoid takes over. Really well done flick way above mediocre. If you do like your SF on the dark site or are into brutality pick this one up.

Gore 2/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 4/5 Story 3,5/5 Comedy 0/5
DeadThirsty (2017)
B-movie with bad sound (voices)
18 March 2019
Two years old and no review, that says enough I think. Because what I just saw was to be honest, a very strange thing to watch. Does it mean it was good by being a strange flick, sadly no.

I can dig underground movies and I'm open to watch the not so popular horrors but please do offer something. The good thing are the effects used, just on the edge of gory sometimes the add towards the nastiness of this flick. Further, the story is what makes it hard to watch. The first minutes, over 10, are just some people dancing in a club. Sure, the 18+ is what you see in the club but not that 18+ worthy, just some topless girls dancing that's it. And it goes on and on, and some gays attracting girls and then a bit of sexy shots but hey, were in a horror movie aren't we, why does the club scene has to take so long. The movie only takes 76 minutes and not the 2 hours as stated on IMDB. And 76 is already way too long. eerie music combined with rave music doesn't make a horror.

So in the last 30 minutes after a lot of rave and screaming and classic music the horror comes in. It's only when the killings start that the geeks are fed. Well done and bodies shown well done but it's all too late. The story, the annoying screaming and the sound of the voices mixed clearly afterwards (without limiters and compression) makes it a not easy flick to watch.

B-movie indeed, so some will love this kind of flicks but for me it was a no go.

Gore 1/5 Nudity 0,5/5 Effects 2/5 Story 1/5 Comedy 0/5
Hell Fest (2018)
not bad after all
13 March 2019
Okay, when you do have teens as leading role then this flick is supposed to be for teens. When I look at it from their point then this is to notch. Story is recognizable for them, it contains falling in love, it contains suspense and it contains horror.

As an adult I look at it in some other way. The story do looks great and it should be watched around Halloween. I was into it from the first moment, which had a great opening, until the end. It never bored me and the suspense was all over the movie. Naturally as a horror geek I do look from that point. It do has one gory killing. It's a bit of a slasher, open ending. Was it good, yes, I enjoyed it. Was it bad, not at all, maybe their could have been more killings or red stuff. Is this it, well, it's above mediocre but one that you will forget shortly after seeing. Not for the gorehounds but for those easily being scared.

Gore 0,5/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 2/5 Story 2,5/5 Comedy 0/5
The Mansion (2017)
sex jokes that are for teens, effects are okay
13 March 2019
This is a French horror they said with an overlay of comedy. I must say that in my entire life I never laughed with French humour but I do adore their horrors. Over the top gore mostly or straight in your face.

Sadly, Le Manoir doesn't contain one piece of that. The humour is so childish that I rather thought kill 'em all in stead of run run. On part of the horror, it's really never there. You must wait until the last 30 minutes until things go wrong but it's low on gore or let's just say horror. The effects on the other hand are really well done and above mediocre.

Maybe the funniest part is the Spanish speaking boar. And maybe teens could have a laugh with the sex jokes told. Is it worth seeing for the geeks, well, if you haven't got anything else then you could see it but otherwise it's a waist of time.

Gore 1/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 2/5 Story 2/5 Comedy 0/5