Reviews

Iliza Shlesinger: Unveiled (2019 TV Special)
Made some good points
19 November 2019
And sometimes funny and/or ironic BUTTTT delivered with W A A A A Y too much energy. Trying too too hard. At five minutes in I felt exhaustion and annoyance.

Too bad 'cause, as I said, she makes some good points. I just can't stand to watch her.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What an stunning surprise
7 November 2019
I too thought: what! Season 2? No WAY . . . just leave the perfection that season 1 was, as is. Let it be. I read the reviews here, and despite a hint or two, was unprepared for the NEW perfection of season 2. Wow.

The same EXCELLENT timing, writing, camera work, direction is picking its delectable and splendid way through another aspect of the same world and I am amazed and grateful to be so wonderfully surprised by the gift of this.

Deeply, truly, moved, entertained, fulfilled. It's a marvelous work. What a job EVERYBODY involved did.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Looking for Alaska (2019– )
Thought it was going to be good
24 October 2019
This should be called: 'Kids Pull Pranks, Tell Each Other They're Smart.' 'Cause that's ALL it is . . . oh and smoking cigarettes.

VERY slow, and that's okay, but not when it's also VERY dull. I gave it two episodes, that's it, I'm out.
6 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Catherine the Great (2019– )
A bloated romance film
13 October 2019
By episode three it's no longer watchable. It's devolved into a coming of age teen romance, even sillier than the simple issue of a seventy something actress playing a 45 year old monarch.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Capture (2019– )
Halfway Through, Too Little Meat
19 September 2019
Teasing is fine but this is ridiculous. Far less skillful at doling it out than 'Counterpart' was. And that one failed as well with hugely better writing and directing AND acting.

This silly, blind nonsense and Holliday Grainger's limited range (that increasingly annoying little moue she does . . . and again and again . . . ) combine to make the first three episodes the longest three hours of my life to date.

I've lost both patience and interest.

Rather than suspense I am experiencing impatience, boredom and annoyance.

Cutting my losses, I'm out.
9 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'I'm just sick of this notion that Muslims are trying
3 September 2019
'I'm just sick of this notion that Muslims are trying to push ourselves and our beliefs on everyone all the time,' Hasan said on Volume 4, Episode 5. And I suddenly realized that that is EXACTly what he's doing.

And I stopped.

I stopped listening.

I stopped watching.

I felt . . . disgusted with myself for falling for it for this long.
6 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why Women Kill (2019– )
Should be good
17 August 2019
But unfortunately the timing is oddly stalled and slow, the writing isn't funny and it's just flat.

Excellent production values, sets, costumes, acting.

Too bad it's all wasted.
20 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Preacher: Deviant (2019)
Season 4, Episode 3
Though it doesn't do much to advance the story
11 August 2019
And, indeed, the story seems to have lost itself somewhere. Still, this episode is stylistically perhaps the best. Operatic at moments . . .
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow
5 August 2019
Kevin Bacon. I could feel the seething rage, the coke . . . what an amazing performance.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Hunting (2019– )
I really want to like this
2 August 2019
I respect the subject and the way they're going about it.

The casting and acting is good.

But the pace is simply glacial and not in a good way.

So, after three runs at episode 1, I'm bailing.

To those of you who can stick it out, I'm sure it will be worthwhile. The approach seems thoughtful and balanced.
7 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fat. Ugly. Old.
31 July 2019
And still. STILL Russell Crowe mesmerizes. Fascinates. There is nothing likeable about this character, and there is a LOT that is unlikeable, horrible, and yet it stays with me long after each episode and I WANT to see it again. Soon.

I have always enjoyed Russell Crowe's work, but this . . . this stuns me. I am slammed, flapdoodled right in the face with what a monumental talent this man is.

I am so impressed.

So. Very. Impressed.
25 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tabula Rasa (2017– )
No one is attractive or interesting
23 July 2019
Writing is banal.

Pace is glacial.

Locations go beyond charming antique to crumbling junk.

Why watch?
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aziz Ansari: Right Now (2019 TV Special)
Yes he handled 'the issue' very well
9 July 2019
No, I didn't find him funny.

At all.

I checked this out to find out how he would address 'the issue.' I don't necessarily credit him with its handling. I suspect he had some expensive advice.

'The issue' aside, I feel there has always been a certain creepy aspect to Ansari's work, which was cultivated in the role he played on 'Parks and Rec' , , , an inherent sleaziness.

It's still there and is a big part of his continuing work. Not funny.

Cringeworthy.
23 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Made in Heaven (2019– )
Seduced by voluptuous beauty
28 June 2019
And colorful novelty at first then I slowly started adapting and in episode 2, I thought, during a conversation with her voluptuously unattractive best friend about her husband cheating, if it turns out he's cheating with this friend . . . and sure enough, that was the 'big surprise' at the episode's end.

Gave episode 3 a chance, but no, there's no doubt.

It's just a soap.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jett (2019– )
A search for style that doesn't find it
22 June 2019
That almost becomes a style, except for the problematic timing: it's too slow and has these weird spaces of suspended nothingness. The directing isn't quite there. The writing isn't quite there. Carla Gugino is excellent as always. But she can't do it all by herself.

This is a very big zero.
23 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Animal Kingdom: Man vs. Rock (2019)
Season 4, Episode 3
Should have been excellent
13 June 2019
VERY frustrating. Given the content of this episode it SHOULD have been tight, interesting and fun. Instead it was boring, strung out and tedious.

And Pope was horrible. The most menacing character in the series and he's stiff and boring.

Direction.

The direction for this episode sucked very very very much. Spoiling an interesting and entertaining series.

Annoying.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big Little Lies (2017– )
I don't want to spend time with these people
13 June 2019
Loved Season 1. Gratified by the ending and surprised to hear there would be a Season 2.

Now, mere minutes into Season 2, Episode 1, I face the fact that i just don't want to.

I've seen the glamour of Carmel. I really dislike Shailene Woodley. This is boring . . . all the same old same old . . .

. . . so, no.

Not gonna do it.
2 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big Little Lies: What Have They Done? (2019)
Season 2, Episode 1
I don't want to spend time with these people
12 June 2019
Loved season 1. Gratified by the ending and surprised to hear there would be a season 2. Saw the clip with Streep asking the question and thought maybe they had something. Now, mere minutes into 'What Have They Done,' I face the fact that i just don't want to. I've seen the glamor of Carmel. I really dislike Shailene Woodley. This is boring . . . all the same old same old . . .

. . . so, no.

Not gonna do it.
10 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's 'Patriot' without the charm
4 June 2019
Made it about three quarters of the way through the pilot.

I loved Steve Conrad's 'Patriot' and found it charming in a unique and delightfully insane way.

Jimmi Simpson, in 'Perpetual Grace, LTD,' IS the same character as Michael Dorman in 'Patriot.' Same vibe, same sadness, same 'trying to make it right.'

Unfortunately Conrad's PGL is not charming in a unique and delightfully insane way. It is very far from that and instead is slow and mystifying in its absurd reach.

I would love to love it, but instead I am made anxious by its failure. I know what everybody WANTS it to be. Unfortunately, it is not.
17 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dead to Me (2019– )
Started out fun
16 May 2019
But became just another soapy nonsense.

Too bad. Could have been excellent. Instead it went from good, to slow, to predictable nothingness.
4 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dead to Me: Try to Stop Me (2019)
Season 1, Episode 8
Starting to feel slow and soapy
16 May 2019
This one and the prior one. Too bad.

It had such a hot start.
1 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Virtues: Episode #1.1 (2019)
Season 1, Episode 1
Mystified by the high ratings
16 May 2019
Despite the good performances of all involved, I found this excruciatingly long and boring. I stayed with it BECAUSE of the ratings and one (professional) review and here I sit, still mystified, but unwilling to sit through any further episodes.
5 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Killing Eve: I Hope You Like Missionary! (2019)
Season 2, Episode 6
And it's back
12 May 2019
Villanelle is back in form.

Eve is back in thrall.

The writing is zipped up tight.

Still missing the sneakily ebullient humor . . . but it's at least worth attention again.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Good Fight (2017– )
The review prior to this suggests
11 May 2019
'Every one star review says the same thing, people are mad this show is political.'

Mine is a one star review. I celebrate the Trump dumping. I'm actually happy and find it refreshing to get opinions re his awfulness out in the open. Yay!

I LOVE Christine Baranski and Gary Cole.

I ADORED 'Braindead' and so, don't mind the cartoons and the music.

My complete disgust with this show, my SOLE reason for my one star rating, is the totally unwatchable, abhorrent performance of Michael Sheen. That is my ONLY reason. And I find his performance SO annoying, extreme and silly, so OVERacted as to make the whole show unwatchable.

I have already posted a review to this effect and it went up. Then came down a day later. So these points have been made before. I am very interested to see if saying this is now 'permitted.'
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Killing Eve: Smell Ya Later (2019)
Season 2, Episode 5
First disappointing episode
7 May 2019
NOT because, as others have noted here, 'why didn't they do this before? I get that this is new, in that Villanelle and Konstantin are now an independent team, no longer working for Russia, and so, 'for hire.'

My issues are:

. WHOAA how did they hire them happen SO FAST?

. Why isn't it funny anymore? Where is that edge? Even Eve's sexual thrall seems boring and ordinary. What's up with that?

Somebody . . . was it the writing, the directing? . . . Somebody lost the edge . . .
9 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.