Reviews

2,243 Reviews
I enjoyed it, but my least favorite of the Marvel series so far
19 March 2019
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later, finally a movie in the Marvel universe set of films that garnered a score less than 8 from me. Most have gotten 9's and 10's with some 8's. This one though I have to give a seven as the score, which is still a good score, nothing too bad, it just did not feel epic enough, like it was a backstory that was not important, with nothing new and no surprising moments. My least favorite up to this point was probably a tie between the third Iron Man film and the first Thor film; however, they had more going for them than this one did going for it. It just did not feel epic in the least.

So, the story has a woman named Vers trying to harness her powers and having strange dreams about a past she has no memory of. She is on the planet of the Kree, which tells you right away who the villains of this one are if you have watched the other Marvel Universe films. Well, she is captured by the Skrull who probe her memory and end up near Earth as they try to find a woman from Vers past who holds the key to a light speed engine. Vers must find this woman and stop the Skrull, while agent Fury tries to get a handle on this woman who claims to be from another planet, but also seems to have ties to Earth.

Captain Marvel is not really a favorite of mine. She is not really someone I dislike either. Honestly, she was not around at all when I read the comics and is pretty much a B squad hero. The first Captain Marvel was a male who was killed. I believe Carol Danvers is the second to have the moniker of Captain Marvel, but when I was reading the comics, she too had lost her life at the hands of Rogue who inadvertently killed her and took her powers of flight and super strength. So no, she was not really all that, and they totally over powered her in this film. She is not in Thor's or Hulk's class of strength, if I had to compare her to someone, it would be Iron Man. In this film, the conclusion of the film has her taking down huge space ships on her own and totally beating the bad guy's ass with ease which is just plain boring. It was also so obvious her mentor was going to end up being the bad guy, I mean the Kree had just signed a treaty in the present times, of course they were the real bad guys then!

So, the film just was a bit of a bore in terms of surprises and such. The main surprise in this one is how Nick Fury loses his eye! His character adds something to the film and I thought Brie's Captain Marvel while a bit of a bore in the first part of the film becomes a bit more likable in the second half. Give her a decent opponent at the end that can put up a fight and try to come up with some good revelations and this one is better, but that is the problem setting the film in the past, too much you can mess up and there is too much we already know. The cat Goose was the best part of this one, but I still enjoyed it overall.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You'd think more monster action would make it a better movie...
18 March 2019
...it doesn't! This film is a sequel to Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus and it does have more shots of the beasts in this one, but it is still somehow worse! Granted, still better than other films I have seen from Asylum and one called Shark Exorcist that is the worst shark film I believe I have ever seen. No, this one is bad, but not on that film's level of terrible! This one's main problem is that it plays itself too seriously and that doesn't work for a film where the monsters seem to be somehow in Florida at one point and then Ha in the same day! They are not even moving that quickly...

The story, Mega Shark is alive and well and ready to do some more damage and does so by taking out a shark where we are introduced to Terry McCormick played by Urkel! Only, he is trying to play it smoothly like he did in those episodes of Family Matters when he was supposed to be cool and not Urkel, but he was still a dork. Mega Shark's opponent this time is a giant crocodile who is lying eggs everywhere to add to the mayhem and the very disjointed ending where this is happening and that while the two beasts fight and the humans come up with plans, helicopters crash only to be airworthy again and a volcano is activated!

The cast is the usual thing as they manage to get Jaleel White who is still waiting for a Family Matters reunion and who criminally does not go, "Did I do that?" at any point in the movie! He didn't have to use the voice, but that would have added some levity in an overly serious bad film. Then there is the Australian hunter type who is in the Congo and the super annoyingly voiced tough agent female who reminded me of Peri Gilpin when she guest starred on Wings as the super annoying female that almost gets Brian drowned in a phone booth. Throw in the doctor from the Star Trek where they are lost and you have yourself a cast that is easily forgettable!

So, this one does have more giant beast mayhem, but still manages to not be quite as good as the previous film. It may have something to do with the fact that film did feature a few really funny attacks as the shark pulled a plan out of the air and took a bite of the bridge and does not really do anything in this one of note. The crocodile just kind of plods along and then they fight and it is just all over the place. Oh well, the films are bad, but they are in the sort of fun to watch realm.
My favorite of the 3D Zelda games, perhaps my fave period
12 March 2019
I enjoyed the 3D games such as Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess; however, I also found them to contain flaws. Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess I found the dungeons over huge, Majora's Mask I felt was too repetitive and then Windwaker I found to have a very bland over world as it just took forever to sail to places. Skyward Sword I could not even get through because there was a really good game in there, but it was plagued by the WII's shoddy controls. This one though was just great, not perfect, but closer than any of the other 3D perspective games I have played. My other super favorite Zelda game is the one for the Super Nintendo, Link to the Past. This Zelda game is more about exploring and I enjoy doing that a lot. There are dungeons, but they are navigated easily and it doesn't take all that long to get through them and I did not need a guide to navigate them! A real treat and a great entry to the series.

The story has Link awakening from a slumber with no memories. He gets a device called a Shieka Slate that helps him navigate the world and he sets out on his quest to stop Ganon who is at it once again! Link must find shrines to increase his power, he must free the guardians to gain powers and help aid in his quest to defeat Ganon and he must help the lands become free of terror that is Ganon!

The game play is mainly exploring as you get to got where you want after you get through the first plateau and get the glider. Granted, it becomes easier getting places the more stamina you build up as this Link has amazing climbing abilities! It is fun just searching for towns, stables to spend the night and checking the map and seeing if anything looks interesting to explore. You can find this little guys called Koraks that give you seeds that help expand your inventory and you can find shrines to help you can heart containers and more stamina plus there are fairy fountains to help increase the strength of your inventory. Weapons break in this one and at times that was a bit annoying, but not as bad once you get the master sword. I also wish Nintendo had a trophy system because it would have added more motivation to complete quests, as you do not get all that much for completing most quests, usually just rupees which are kind of plentiful in this one.

So, definitely my favorite of the 3D perspective Zelda games and perhaps my fave period. I loved the exploring aspect of the game, though I did not really take advantage of the horse riding in this one. I was afraid I would miss too much riding the horses. It is fun finding new places in this one, as I said I would open the map and try to figure out an interesting place to go during my quest. Where a shrine might be hidden or a Korak may be hiding. I liked freeing the guardians and gaining powers that would help me survive longer or explore more fully too. Just an incredible game, I like this format and hope they do a variation of it for another Zelda, but perhaps add a few more typical dungeons to change it up.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
With that title, it should have been even more awesomely bad
11 March 2019
I remember we laughed about this movie back in the day and talked about how this creature or that one should win between this two super predators; however, I never actually saw it. Well I rectified that recently and I was not missing much it seems. Don't get me wrong, it was not as terrible as others I have seen such as Shark Exorcist which I wish I could have scored in the negatives, just seems they really needed to have more shark and octopus action going on in this one. It is talk, talk and more talk and then maybe a one minute clip of one of the two beasts doing something.

The story has a marine biologist or something in a submarine studying whales and there is something about a transmitter that goes kind of nowhere and soon a glacier breaks in have and mega shark and giant octopus are released! Of course, later in the movie they make a point to say these two hate each other and will fight each other anew, but for some reason when they were right there facing each other they went their own ways. Well, they begin terrorizing the coast, the biologist gets fired, has a romantic interest, hangs out with her old professor, they do a bunch of stuff in labs that neither of them would probably know how to do, we have a guy on a submarine go berserk for no reason and we get maybe 10 or 15 minutes of shark and octopus and very little fight.

Debbie Gibson is in this and she is a bit distracting in that I kept trying to remember a song she sang and could only come up with, I Think We're Alone Now which she didn't even sing! She has aged well and looks good and her acting skills aren't horrendous, but it still seems a bizarre choice just as having Lorenzo Lamas as a more bureaucrat type seems a strange choice. Everybody else is pretty much generic filler.

So, the film did make somewhat of an impression and it was not as bad as some films I have seen, but still pretty bad. It would have been better with less talking and more giant beast mayhem. Of course, I am pretty sure the limited budget probably is the reason for very little time on screen for the stars of this film and the constant reuse of shots of the two giant foes. This film is also played deadly serious, even though they put Debbie Gibson in the lead role, that just screams more fun and almost parody rather than deadly serious fight for survival.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a spider in sight...
11 March 2019
I know, I know, Spiderwick is the name of the guy who wrote the book, but still, I was expecting a spider of some sort within this strange fantasy tale. Was not all bad, but I can also see why this went no further than the one movie as it is really nothing all that special. Just seems more like it should have been a pilot for a television movie rather than a feature length film, maybe even a Netflix series. Some things just are not as good when transcribed from book to film and that may be the case here too.

The story has a mother and her children moving into a house because they cannot afford to live in New York anymore and as usual they somehow end up moving into what is essentially a mansion. Happens all the time in films and books and it is a bit of a tired trope. "Children, we cannot afford to live in this two bedroom apartment, but as look would have it, I have access to a mansion in the middle of nowhere that will cost vastly less to live in!" Of course,there is one child who is not to keen about this, but then his brother is not exactly on his side, even though they are the same person! Then there is the sister who is annoying, but she knows fencing! cough foreshadowing cough cough. Well there is something in the house and it inadvertently leads to an upstairs secret room which houses a book that seems to have many secrets of mythical and wondrous creatures and opening seems to trigger things in motion leading to all sorts of nasty creatures looking for the book! The brother must find a way to protect the book and stop the creatures from taking the book, because there will be trouble if Mulgarath gets his hands on the book!

Freddie Highmore plays duel roles in this one as both twin brothers. He is more known now as the doctor with autism in, The Good Doctor. The film also has Andrew McCarthy in a small role which is a shock cause I have not seen him in anything in years! Dude used to be in everything! Nick Nolte is also in this film; however, his voice is used way more than the actor himself, though he does appear briefly as a human in this one. All the cast do okay , but the film is so by the numbers that it is not really all that surprising.

So, it was not a bad film, just a bit on the underwhelming side of things. Like I said, feels like a television pilot or something. For the most part, nearly all the action takes place around a house, but then we have this generic flying scene that does not look good to another bland locale. Just seems like this one should not have cost 90 million to make. It is not the worst movie though and has entertaining moments within, just not enough to be a really solid film.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just does not have the bite the first film had
3 March 2019
The problem with this movie is apparent looking at the page here on IMDB and the original Piranha from 1978. The budge for the original was 600,000 while the budget for this one was less than 150,000 dollars. The problem with sequels back in the day is that usually they got weaker as the series progressed, not stronger. The budget would get smaller so therefore the movies would too and that is most certainly the case in this one. The first one was probably one of the best rip offs of Jaws, while this one has a decent couple of kills, but has so much less in the way of kills and piranha action.

The story sort of follows the first one. At the end of the first one, though, it was implied that the few surviving piranha of it may have made it to the ocean where they were bred to survive. However, in this one they come from a boat that sank and had their eggs on board. They do mention the experiment in the first film though and what happened so it is a genuine sequel. Well the action takes place at a resort and its wacky tourists. Meanwhile, a scuba instructor, a man with a secretive side and a cop who is married to the cheating scuba instructor must figure out what is killing people before it's too late!

Could have been good as this film was directed by James Cameron and you can tell he was going to be good by the fact he only had a minimal budget and still managed to craft a movie around that. Too bad he didn't have more because the attack on the summer camp in the first film was better than the attack on the beach goers from this one. Seriously, it was so short! Forget comparing it to the finale at the lake in the first film, they are not even close. I was expecting a grand scene, but it petered out rather quickly, once again probably do to the budget constraints. Then there is the pointless plot point of the son and a girl kind of drifting around and never really getting into any danger.

So, no, this one is not as good as the first film, not even close. Just lacked the piranha action the first had and though they did give this piranha wings, the fact they had wings did not really factor into the finish as we get to watch two people swim from the piranha in a small looking boat that is much larger on the inside! Still, it is a lot better than some of the films they put out today featuring computer generated creatures and blood and you can see where James Cameron got his start.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utter garbage...a case can be made that this film deserves a zero
2 March 2019
I have watched many bad films over the years as I like the horror genre and a lot of really crappy films emerge from that category of film. I also was a huge fan of the television show MST3000 and they viewed some really terrible films over the years. I have also watched numerous shark films released by SyFy and they have been rather bad. This film, sadly, is one of the worst films I have ever seen if not the worst. I see reviews for this crap that give it a 10 and I am sure the reviewers are trying to be funny by giving a good review to this trash, but seriously, grow up. You know this is pure trash, I am willing to bet the people who made this know it was trash. No redeeming qualities at all unless you call seeing a bunch of okay looking actresses in bathing suits a plus, which I don't as I can see totally nude girls that look way hotter all over the internet! The film is listed a horror and then comedy, but it is not funny in the least, the special effects suck and worst of all the story is completely incoherent to the point I believe they did not even have a script for this god awful train wreck.

The story has a nun who kills a girl and summons Satan to avenger her and it comes in the form of a great white swimming around a lake. Well, we basically get the same shot of the shark throughout the movie. Some friends go to the lake, one gets attacked and one of them just kind of vanishes from the film with no explanation making me believe she just wanted to be in the film and tired of it or something. The girl who is attacked gets possessed, we get a psychic television show woman writhe on the ground and lots of scenes that go nowhere as a priest will do like a two second exorcism before we are treated to a scene of a woman who goes to sunbath and we watch as a guy takes her picture then goes through the pictures he has taken on his phone and then girl gets up and guy is gone and then the nun is back and stabs her. Then we get the ending and then two after credit scenes! The first one takes a good five minutes or more and goes nowhere and then we see the psychic one more time before the movie is thankfully over!

I enjoy watching a bad movie and making fun of it, but this film is just insulting. That the budget is 300,000 dollars makes me angry because I could use that kind of money to pay all my bills and still have lots over to live comfortably while they wasted it on this crap! I could have also easily have taken said 300,000 dollars and made a better movie too, but that would not have been too difficult. The film, Manos: Hands of Fate had a more coherent plot than this drivel.

So this film is not good in any form or fashion. If I could find the filmmakers I would punch them in the face for wasting money. Still not sure what the 300,000 was spent on as it was literally the same shot of the shark over and over, no gore effects to speak off and very so so looking actresses. The film was not enjoyable even in the it is so bad it is good category and at times they just seemed to add a scene in the film just to pad the film out. Avoid at all costs, it is not anything you want to view, the only things good about it was the poster for the film and it is a very deceitful poster at that.
Lily C.A.T. (1987 Video)
Insane anime obviously inspired by American science fiction/horror
19 February 2019
I first watched this anime back in the 90's when the scifi channel actually showed a bit more variety and such having anime weeks, Godzilla weeks and for a short span having Mystery Science Theater 3000 on their station. I enjoyed it then and I recently re-watched it as I was in the mood for a scifi horror hybrid that was not Alien. I originally wanted to watch the original 1987 Nightflyers as I had only seen it on the same channel I saw this on originally and I was hoping to see an uncut version, but I struck out on Amazon Prime and several other streaming networks only pulling up the recent television show. Just was not into watching a television series so I thought about this movie and tried to see if it was available and it was! I was so surprised and happy so I gave it a watch and I still enjoy it.

The story has a spaceship that goes on an expedition to a remote planet to gather samples and such. The kicker is that the trip will take 20 years, so the crew will be in a suspended animation for that time and will only age a year. The captain is a veteran as is his crew, but the ones on this expedition and not part of the crew are from a corporation. They all have their reasons for going on this mission; unfortunately, two of them are not who they say they are. The captain dismisses this at first, but it is not too long after they awaken from their suspended animation that one of them turns up dead! Seems a strange bacteria has gotten on board and it begins killing the crew, it also morphs and becomes an even bigger problem as it has the ability to kill! However, this is not the only problem as something seems to have control of the ship and seems to be trying to cover up its mistake of taking on this alien bacteria!

While good, the anime is not perfect...though the main problem I have with it is the English voice overs which is not really the fault of the original makers. Most of them do all right, but at times they do a horrible job of portraying emotions, most notably when the blond falls on her knees and begins sobbing. That being said, this film gets points for being only an hour and seven minutes long and still able to develop its characters and have lots of action. Kind of wish more American movies were capable of this.

So, not perfect, but still a fun and wild ride. It does take a lot of inspiration from Alien and The Thing, but it adds its on spice to the dish as well as it truly is not just about the creature on the loose. It adds a touch of mystery as there are the two members of the crew who are not who they say they are and the mystery of who is controlling the ship. Some of the characters are dubbed poorly and I would like to see this with the original voice actors; however, the one doing the captain did a pretty good job and he was my favorite character.
IO (2019)
Pretentious, totally crap science and boring!
24 January 2019
Yes, this film suffers from serious issues as it looks like it might have a good thing going by its description. Unfortunately, we are treated to another apocalypse film brought to us by Netflix, home to that sort of thing. We had Bird Box which we knew what was going on, we had Into the Forest where we had the vague apocalypse and we have this one where we sort of know what is going on, but we are bored to tears! At least Bird Box and Into the Forest were somewhat interesting, this one was just two locations, a lot of mundane conversation and a predictable romance forming.

The earth is now uninhabitable due to ammonia in the air. Most people have fled to a space station near a moon on Saturn or Jupiter (whatever, not like it's important) called IO. Forget about that though, it has virtually nothing to do with said movie and is instead about a bad actress walking around and trying to figure a way to continue leaving on earth despite the ammonia. Apparently, the higher you are the more air there is, but seeing as how ammonia is lighter than air it should be the most dangerous zone is one of the many flaws in this film along with there is no oxygen in ammonia. Well, a man comes, and wants to see this girl's father who is obviously dead, but they wait to surprise us even though anyone with two functioning brain cells can see it coming, and romance sparks even though the lead girl has all the charisma of a piece of paper. The guy has a balloon and wants to take her to a space ship to go to the space station by the moon this film is named for, but in the end more long drawn out conversations ensue, no tension is built and the film peters out like a whimpering dog.

The film had potential had they tried to add some sort of threat to the situation. I kept expecting them to get in the balloon and maybe run afoul of a storm, but no, nothing happens! My wife picked this one and even she got bored with it. I was hoping for mutant insects are something, anything to spice the film up and by the end so was she! The chemistry is nonexistent and there is nothing really interesting going on here.

So, another Netflix original that disappoints. It truly is the station of hits and misses, not that it has hit big yet. The two I like most that I have seen so far are The Ritual and Bird Box and I only gave each of those a seven. This one is like a film that starts and does not go anywhere at all. Just watching people going about their usual day with nothing really arising to challenge anything other than the prospect of actually getting to that space station by the moon this film is named after, but has nothing to do with the story! Last Woman on Earth's Mundane Existence would have been a better title, but I guess it would have been a bit lengthy.
Aquaman (2018)
Never thought I'd enjoy an Aquaman film adaptation
24 January 2019
I am in the minority when it comes to the DC films in that I have enjoyed them all. I thought Man of Steel was an awesome Superman film, Batman versus Superman wasn't great, but the last portion of the film was good, Suicide Squad was pretty cool and Wonder Woman, well people liked that one. I even thought Justice League was good and was baffled that it had a disappointing box office take as it was so much better than Batman versus Superman. This one I was not sure of, because I just thought it would be difficult to make an interesting movie using only Aquaman. I was wrong and was surprised by how much I enjoyed this film.

The story has Aquaman coming out into the forefront as he takes out some pirates after we are introduced to Arthur's mother and his dad and how they met. He leaves a pirate father/son duo to die as they had been killing indiscriminately; however, this would later turn out to be a mistake as son wants revenge on Aquaman. Aquaman, meanwhile, must go back to his kingdom of Atlantis as his brother tries to start a war with those of us who reside on land. Arthur/Aquaman must try and reclaim his throne and prevent this war his brother so desperately wants and also deal with a new enemy, the Black Manta!

One of the reasons I enjoyed this one was the cast who did a very good job. It was nice seeing Dolph Lundgren in a big movie for a change rather than the direct to DVD stuff he usually does these days. Jason Momoa is really good as Aquaman and is one of the main reasons I think this one worked as he is very charismatic as the hero in this one. My favorite though was the Black Manta as they had the costume down pat! He looked completely awesome and the fight between him and Aquaman was the highlight of this movie for me!

So, overall, a very fun action movie and surprisingly so for me. I think the DC films are rather good, though I still favor the Marvel film universe more. I have always enjoyed Marvel more in the comics too as I find their heroes more relatable and less overpowered than those of DC, but I like the DC characters too. I am looking forward to Shazaam as well as that one looks fun too. Sorry, but comic book films should be fun and not all dark and serious...unless we are talking Spawn of course.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting, but feels gimmicky...
24 January 2019
I watched this film on the recommendation from a colleague at work as they said it was a bit crazy and that I could choose certain actions within the movie. So I gave it a try and it was somewhat interesting, but somewhat disappointing too. The whole choose your scenario feels very underwhelming and underutilized. It was a bit interesting at first, but it just seems it is not used to its full potential and it also feels very forced, which should not be too surprising, I guess, considering the whole theme of this sort of movie and sort of game is 'being controlled'.

The story has a young man who is trying to design a game based on a book that he read called, Bandersnatch. The young man is a bit troubled as his mom was killed in an accident and he is taking meds for this, the writer of Bandersnatch also had problems taking the life of his wife. Well the young man goes to a upstart computer gaming company to pitch his idea and he is given the opportunity to make his game; however, it will take his mind to many dark and insane places as his reality seems to be pushed by forces beyond his control.

I thought the premise of this one was actually pretty good and it actually made me want to read the book the guy in the movie's game was based on; unfortunately, it was simply made up and I am guessing they got the name from a creature that appears in Alice and Wonderland. I liked certain aspects of the choosing, but too often I felt underwhelmed by the outcomes of choosing poorly as then the protagonist is waking up in bed and I have to go over the same stuff again.

So, this is the first Black Mirror episode I have watched and I would like to watch more films of this type, just probably not in this series. I would enjoy a more horror oriented series where you can tell people where to go, which action to take and so on and so forth. This one had interesting moments, had a good premise, but just was kind of 'meh' in some of its execution.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bird Box (2018)
Not a rip off of Quiet Place people...
15 January 2019
A Quiet Place was released in 2018, early in the year. This film was released the same year and its production started in October of 2017 and it is also based off a book from 2014 so no, this was not ripping off Quiet Place and if you think so, you are kind of dense thinking that a movie can be thrown together so quickly within a year and you don't bother to read anything otherwise you would know it was based off a book that predates Quiet Place. I have not seen Quiet Place, but I do want to, but I actually did minimal research to discover the origin of this film had nothing to do with that one as they were already in the works to making this film prior to even the book release back in 2013! If anything, Quiet Place may have stolen a couple of ideas from the novel this film is based on. Now what the film is much more like is The Happening, but with a much better thing causing people to take their own lives.

The story starts out as two sisters are about to visit the doctor as one of them is pregnant and not to thrilled about it. They see on the news that there is something going on in Russia where people are claiming their own lives. Well it quickly moves in and soon they are fleeing amid mass suicides as it appears that the ones who kill themselves see something that causes their abnormal behavior. One sister sees it and takes her life leaving behind the pregnant one played by Sandra Bullock. She is helped into a house where the people are smart enough to close the windows as it is clear something is seen before the urge to kill oneself occurs. They try to figure out what to do while at times we are taken ahead years in time as Sandra's character is now in charge of two kids and is trying to make her way down a river to a place offering safe haven.

While the film is not a ripoff of Quiet Place, it is also not perfect and suffers many flaws and questions. I figure the things they are seeing are demons as only something like that could possess a person and cause them to do the whole suicide thing and I can see a demon not being able to enter a house kind of like a vampire not being able to unless invited (in the book they apparently could enter houses). This was not one of the problems for me, but one thing that was, was the way the film played out. It starts by showing Sandra and the two kids thereby telegraphing that all is not going to go well at the house and that pretty much everyone is going to die. I also wanted to see the demons, but the only way we could have seen them is if the main protagonist had seen them and quite frankly, they probably would have been disappointing had they been seen. The ending was a bit too happy and still leaves one with questions too.

So, this was a pretty good Netflix original film. Certainly better than Open House and another one I saw about a haunted school, but I think I still give The Ritual the edge as far as best Netflix original horror film that I have seen. That one provided more atmosphere and tension than did this one. Still, it was entertaining for what it was.
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another solid story
15 January 2019
I just started playing the Metal Gear games last year. I had always wanted to play them, but never got around to it when I was younger, so I am trying them out for the first time now. I was able to score a collection and I also found both parts of five on one disc. I enjoyed the first two games and this one was really good too. I like that the collection features easy modes on the games, because I enjoy the story more than I do trying to master the harder difficulties. So I get to have some fun and think I am doing really good and enjoy the good, albeit sometimes strange, stories of this series.

This game does not feature the Snake we know from the first two Metal Gear Solid games or of the NES games, but rather the man who will become Big Boss. He is Snake here and his mission is to infiltrate a Russian base and rescue a scientist who has defected. Unfortunately, Snake's mentor defects to Russia and reclaims the scientist leaving Snake for dead. He returns and is now charged with getting the scientist again and to also kill Vulgin, a rogue Russian soldier and kill his former mentor. He will have to go through her whole squadron of elite soldiers and navigate the jungles. He will receive some help from Eva, a woman who is mysterious and whose motivations are not entirely clear.

The game play is the same as it features you using stealth to try and sneak passed enemies and collect weapons to make yourself a bigger threat. The terrain in this one is more outdoors this time and features many jungle locations, but are there really so many snakes and stuff in Russia? Speaking of snakes, you must eat snakes and a variety of wildlife so that you can keep your stamina high. One of the few differences from previous games as well as the terrain. You also can perform surgery on yourself, but for some reason I got stuck with the Fear's arrows in me for most of the game...

So a very good addition to the series as the story was as good as the previous two games. The game play could have been better, as the controls messed me up various times and the game ran a bit short too, like the earlier two. Overall, I enjoyed this one mainly due to the story and seeing the origins of Big Boss and it was cool seeing a young Ocelot in this one too.
Uninvited (1988 Video)
The killer cat movie that goes that extra mile!
15 January 2019
I had heard about this film from a group on Facebook that posts strange movies like this one. I had never heard of this killer cat movie featuring stars George Kennedy and Clu Culager; granted, Clu puts on one of the goofiest performances of his career and he seems to be disguising himself too as he probably isn't proud of this one. My thinking is they were going for a Return of the Living Dead type thing mixing humor and horror with a sprinkling of old and up and coming stars or something, but it fails as it is not humorous and the horror is too tame as they went for a PG-13 rating. It also featured a rather insane premise.

The story has a kitty escaping a research facility, it harbors something sinister within! Meanwhile, some gangster type dudes are doing there thing and they need to get somewhere on their boat. Teens wanting to party want to go on the cool boat and the main mobster type wants the girls there, but he did not count on the girls, but he needs to get out fast so he uses the teens as his crew. The girls flirt with the guy and make it like they are interested, so we all know what the mob guy thinks; however, the kitty slips aboard too and soon reveals itself to be a killer! Well, they did show it killing earlier so no surprise there.

The premise of a killer kitty is kind of laughable, but this film takes it the extra mile as the cat is just a regular cat; no, the killer kitty is within the regular kitty and comes out and kills! It is poisonous too, so you have a cat that has another killer cat inside that can kill with its bite! Apparently, the makers of this film were on some drugs and this sounded really good in their heads.

So, the film is worth a watch if just for the insane premise and to riff on. Poor George does not look like he wants to be in this film and I cannot say I blame him. Clu hams it up, but probably had a bit more fun with the role. I did not care for any of the teens and was not exactly rooting for them or the mob guy. I was firmly in the cat's corner. So, if you want to see a film that has a cat that has a killer cat in it, this is your film! I am also pretty sure this is the only film that has that premise...
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Undertale (2015 Video Game)
Very reminescent of Earthbound.
21 November 2018
I had heard about this game from different people and various websites touting the fun to be had by playing it. Well, it become available on the Playstation Network so I bought it and played through it and enjoyed it very much. The game is very humorous, challenging and quite fun as it is sort of a throwback to a SNES game and there is even a portion that pays homage to the balcony scene in FFVI. There are some really bizarre things going on and from what I hear, the genocidal route is even more crazy! I played through being a true pacifist.

The story has a young child falling into some caverns that are home to strange creatures. The child is quickly saved by once of these monsters from a very evil looking flower and wishes for the child to remain in the ruins with her, but the child wishes to try and escape back to her world. She soon finds out the world beyond the ruins is fraught with danger and a lot of potential new friends and allies as she tries to navigate puzzles and homicidal robots on her way to the castle where there may be a way for her to escape.

The game play is rather fun and a challenge. It progresses like an RPG game; however, if you take the pacifist route, you are not going to be leveling up! The combat is unique as you can avoid the enemies attack and you do not have to attack them, but rather you can end the fight by talking things out or doing a number of things to avoid combat. You can also go the route of genocide and kill all those in your way. You can level up this way, but from what I here this path is way more difficult than that of the pacifist even though you are stuck on 20 hp...that is a scary thought!

So, this game was very fun and entertaining. My complaints are few, but I do have a couple. The length of the game is on the short side as it wraps up fairly quickly. It would of been a pretty good length back in the 90's RPG, but it would not have been as long as a lot of the more classic RPG games of that era either. The other complaint is I wish there were more towns and people to talk to and meet as this was a very fun aspect of the game. Not major complaints, just the few I could think of off the top of my head. All in all a great game and I will probably play it again some day and go the genocidal route!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another vague apocalypse is upon us!
20 November 2018
What is with all these supposedly apocalyptic movies where they do not attempt to explain what is going on? We get one here that features a blackout that makes things really quite inconvenient...I thought something would be revealed at the end, something that may have been creepy due to the font they used for the title of this one, but no, another movie where nothing was revealed and there is seemingly no point to the film other than teaching us that if you have no power, your house collapses fairly quickly.

The story has a power outage that makes a father and his two daughters feel a bit uneasy at first, but they manage to get into town so the older daughter can dance and the younger one can attend a party and they can get a few supplies. The father does not want to go into town again due to some rather rough looking characters being present, but the younger sister throws a fit making it seem like she is going to be the problem during this apocalypse. Well, the father dies by means of chainsaw leaving the two daughters to fend for themselves and the older daughter wants to use the gas to power up the house almost immediately, because she must dance! Seriously, this is the most mediocre apocalypse ever with the exception of the rape scene. Watching two sisters stumble along during the least threatening apocalypse ever!

So the film just has too many flaws as I watch a film like this to see real threats, not a sister want to dance and waste gas, a future house and a super old car, an easily avoidable death by chainsaw, a futuristic house that falls apart fairly quickly. Seriously, dad must have really put off getting a roof on that house for it to totally go kaput that quickly. The only disturbing scene was the rape scene which I could have done without. I would have preferred creepy monsters or something which the font made it seem like this movie would have.

So no, not a good movie and yet another unexplained apocalypse. The ending to this one was utter trash as the older sister wants to live in the woods. Great, you didn't want to go hiking with the one guy, but living in a tree stump, that is a good idea. Though that tree stump magically was tougher than their house was! This movie really opened my eyes though, if one wants to dance, one will throw a fit until one gets their way despite the costs of doing so!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If only there was more beyond the gates.
20 November 2018
This film had something and came close to being a really good horror movie. Unfortunately, they needed more money because they were obviously hindered by the low budget. They came up with a good idea, but just could not make it as good as it should have been because they just did not have the resources to pull it off. The idea is pretty good as it is basically Jumanji, but a more horrific version of the game. There are a couple of kills in this one that are very good and the cast did a pretty good job. Just missed the mark though and failed to be a good horror movie.

The story has two brothers going into their dad's video store to clean it up or something as their dad has gone missing. How their dad is still running a video store that only does VCR tapes in 2015 or 16 is anyone's guess, but I can roll with it. Well, they find that their dad was playing a strange tape before he vanished and it goes with a board game. They attempt to play it, but then turn it off. They do this numerous times and finally strange things begin to happen and strange gates appear in the basement of the home. They most continue to play so they can learn the fate of their father and find out what is beyond the gates.

The more featured two very good kills and an interesting premise. That being said, it dragged in places for too long as even when it was apparent they had to play the game they dragged their feet. Also, when we finally get to the conclusion and they do go beyond the gates we do not get anything special. No strange world, hellish world, but just their house with purple lights. This was a very disappointing aspect of the film and one that was most likely caused by the low budget.

So I would love for the makers of this film to get more money and see what they can do. Those two deaths involving the game were like totally awesome! They had a good premise and I hope they had a better idea for what was beyond the gates, but just could not pull it off. In the end it was just a bit slow moving in areas and too much brothers arguing and stuff and not enough playing the game. They really just needed more stuff going on and a more epic conclusion to this one.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyed it more than the first one, but only a bit.
20 November 2018
The main reason I thought this one was better was due to the fact it had cleaner graphics and looked crisper. This is probably due more to the fact the first game was a direct copy of the Playstation one game and this one was a remade version. The controls were better also as I found it easier to perform stealth in this one than the previous game. The story, like the first game, is so strange, compelling and just all over the place. It is definitely interesting that is for sure!

The story has Snake trying to take out the latest Metal Gear; however, it soon becomes apparent there is more going on as Ocelot is back and he hijacks this latest Metal Gear sinking the vessel it was stored on and framing Snake for it! Flash two years later and the president has been kidnapped and terrorist have taken over this rig that is supposedly for cleaning the water, but in reality is hiding a new Metal Gear! Enter Raiden who must try to save hostages, save the president and solve the many mysteries that keep coming up! He'll have to endure many strange soldiers as he must take on another of Snake's 'brothers' Solidus, Ocelot, a vampire dude, a woman who seemingly can't be killed and a host of others. Thankfully, he will find an ally in a man named Plisken who looks a lot and sounds a lot like a certain hero everyone is familiar with!

The controls are much better in this one thus the game play was more fun for me this go around. Raiden can do some rather cool tricks, but for the most part plays like Snake does. You have the same arsenal of weapons and gear and you have your boss fights that are interesting. Definitely a fun series of games so far.

So this game is really fun, but man the story just gets crazy there at the end and the ending was a bit disappointing as so little is actually resolved. Then it is almost funny how one bad guy is like, this is our real plan and then another comes along shortly thereafter and says, no this is the goal! This is the first time I've played these games and so far they've been great. Next up is Snake Eater!
Be Afraid (2017)
Um, were they trying to do Shadow People or Slenderman here?
20 November 2018
This movies description intrigued me so I thought I would give it a go. I am not going to say I was entirely disappointed as the film had some good points; however, it has a lot of bad points as well. The film does not seem to know what lore it is trying to craft its movie around, some of the acting is pretty bad and the plot has some rather stupid twists in that they just seem to infer stuff rather than actually just coming out and saying stuff. I did enjoy some of the visuals and most of the actors in this one were decent. They should have just crafted their own monsters though instead of using that of the Shadow People because they just did not seem to do enough research and they just added stuff to them that really does not fit what they are and what they do.

The story begins with a man raving that something is after his daughter and then she proceeds to disappear. Flash a bit later and a new doctor in town is trying to settle in. His older son comes to live with the doctor and his wife and son. The older son is from a different marriage apparently. Well the younger boy sees things and the father sees things and there is some sort of cover up that really makes no sense going on while these strange creatures that lurk out of most people's field of vision seem to take children away!

The Shadow People here just don't work. I have always been interested in this phenomenon that does happen to people. The whole thinking they see stuff when they awaken. They get some of it right, but the whole taking children thing is not something associated with them as this is generally associated with the completely fictitious Slenderman. Then there is a scene where the older son is in a tunnel trying to prove himself where the creatures drag two other guys off and kill them in gruesome fashion which doesn't really fit either the Shadow People or Slenderman. Just kind of a jumbled mess as they do not seem to know what type of movie they are making.

So, any chance of this being a good horror movie pretty much died with all the inconsistencies within. Not sure why they did Shadow People when they clearly wanted to do something totally different as the creatures were living in some sort of cave. They had a good idea, but should have made them more of a physical presence that would have went along with the two guys in the cave getting killed. The revelation of the boys being taken just did not work as it was all kind of implied and you are left wondering why would these creatures who can't be killed make a deal with anyone. Interesting but just fails with too many questions and such.
Skyscraper (2018)
About on par with his earlier 2018 flick Rampage
9 November 2018
Basically, this film was nothing super fantastic; however, it was a good popcorn action film where one tends to have to turn off their brain because there is a lot of stuff that makes no sense contained within. That being said, I thought this one was a lot better than the more familiar Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom also brought to us by Universal studios. This one cannot be called original though as it is pretty much Die Hard with a bit of Towering Inferno mixed in, or is it Towering Inferno with a bit of Die Hard mixed in? One can never tell as the film shifts quite a bit too.

The story has a man who was in some sort of special forces or something having a very bad encounter. That bad encounter though leads to him to meet his wife with whom he has two kids with who are his everything. He is doing some sort of security detail on a state of the art skyscraper set up by one of his buddies from when he was in the special forces and things begin to seem off. Turns out the skyscraper is being targeted by some group who wishes to get something within and to burn the building down around the one who designed it. With his family inside, Will (Rock's character) tries to get in so that he can save them.

The rock is good and so are most of the characters, the film could have been a bit better with more action within the burning building. So much of the action consists of Will trying to get into the building or outside on the glass trying to maneuver to a certain point. The whole point of the people setting the building ablaze is a bit disappointing too as they keep withholding that info and then when you learn what it was, not that big a deal.

So, the film did have some good action here and there and some good Rock action too, but it could've used some more. Rampage felt like a big budget film mixed with b movie elements and this one just seems like it is missing some ingredient. I also have to think that this film was sponsored by duct tape as it was featured quite a bit in this one and it began to seem almost odd.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I enjoyed it a lot, but not for everybody
24 October 2018
I am not the gamer who waits eagerly for the next Call of Duty game, Assasin's Creed game or Madden game every year. I am the gamer who enjoys more rare, exotic and strange games that are usually crafted in Japan and are more story driven than other games. This game caught my eye at the local Gamestop so I proceeded to get this one and its sequel. Even I was not expecting what I got as I was wondering when I first started playing it if it was only a visual novel akin to a manga; however, I finally got to some combat so there is some game play involved. That being said, it is mainly a story so if you want to fight and fight and fight some more, this is not the game for you!

The story as a young man waking up with amnesia under the care of a young girl named Kuon. Since he doesn't remember his name, she names him Haku. They travel together for awhile and when they end up in a town they join up with some mercenaries and then proceed to a large city known as Yamato. Here Haku will make many allies as he takes a job as a man named Oshtor's troops, doing odd jobs and having the occasional battle. Soon Haku will learn many things about his past as he learns of his connection with the Mikado who rules this land and things take on a darker tone as there are conspiracies and such going on and this one basically ends on a cliffhanger.

The game play in this one is essentially just pushing a button to advance text and dialog. That being said, when there is combat it is of the strategy role playing game variety and actually quite fun. There are a set number of battles, but you can replay older battles to gain experience and as you near the end there are quite a number of battles for you to navigate through.

So, I enjoyed this game, but then I enjoy a story based game and I enjoy the anime style characters present in this one. The game is a bit more lighthearted at first, but gets a bit more darker in tone near the end of the game as it ends in heartbreaking fashion. The characters are great as there is not a one that I didn't like that belonged to Haku's rag tag little group and I am very eager to see where the story goes and how it will end for him and Kuon.
Shark Lake (2015)
Ugh, this shark movie makes some of those SyFy shark movies seem great by comparison
24 October 2018
I thought this one might be pretty good as it was not brought to us by the SyFy station home to all things shark. It had Dolph Lundgren in it, so I thought, Dolph versus sharks, that may be pretty cool! It is not, not at all. It is a boring and stupid film filled with idiotic subplots and an annoying main character who isn't Dolph! The sharks also look incredibly bad, I once watched a shark film that was on SyFy called "Five Headed Shark Attack" and the shark in that one looked more real than the bull shark in this one!

The story has a guy who finds rare animals and is trying to deliver something in his van while these two officers are chasing him. The female is a horrible cop who shoots Dolph who is unarmed as he is trying to get out of a lake. You can't get down while your in the water! She then takes his child and raises it as her own and when he gets out she refuses to let him see it. I would say that is a major conflict of interests, but this is a cheap movie. So when we are not doing the Lifetime channel movie thing, there are sharks in the lake and they are just little bitty sharks, nothing special about them and they have everyone flipping out. Just stay out of the water for crying out loud! Of course, there just happens to be a shark expert in town, what are the odds?

So this one is pretty bad, the sharks look like crap, the shark attacks look like crap and there are a lot of head scratching moments. They blame bears at first and still seem dubious of sharks being the culprits even when a woman's leg is bitten off right in front of everyone. The whole mafia type guys going after Dolph was just filler and in the end I was left disappointed that the female deputy was not eaten!

Not a good film by any means. The plot had potential, but having regular sized sharks in a lake was just not frightening. We are also supposed to believe that the sharks have been in the lake for five years and just start going crazy eating people just as Dolph's character gets out of prison. I almost want to say leave the bad shark movies to SyFy because theirs are at least more entertaining than this, but then they did make the super horrible Planet of Sharks too...
The Rundown (2003)
Pretty good action/comedy buddy movie
24 October 2018
Saw this movie not too long ago for the first time, and it astounds me that it came out in 2003. Makes me feel real old, and it also was strange to see The Rock not quite as big in this film as he is now. The film had a rather large budget, which is also very questionable as this is the first film that I know of that has The Rock as the lead and seeing it only made 80 million worldwide and cost 85 it did not even manage to break even. Granted, I am sure with DVD sales and such it has made a profit over the years, just not as quickly as a studio would like.

The story has The Rock as some sort of retrieval and enforcer kind of guy, but he is tiring of this lifestyle and wants out so he can be a chef. Well, he is given an opportunity to get out, because if he can get his boss's son and bring him back, he will be allowed out of the business. The problem is that his son is in South America. So he proceeds down and proceeds to have a hard time with his target as he is a smart mouthed guy who has no intentions of going back before finding a treasure. They also run afoul of a guy who pretty much runs things in this town and soon they will be pursued as they make their way through the jungles in search of the treasure.

The Rock does a pretty good job in his first leading role not associated with The Scorpion King and shows glimpses of the star he will become as he is able to do the action thing good and do well in the humor department too. Sean William Scott is also good as the guy The Rock is trying to retrieve and gives the Rock all kinds of problems. Christopher Walken is also in this one and of course he is good!

So, it was a pretty good film when it is all said and done, not sure why it did not do better when it initially released. I have seen far worse films make lots of money over the years, but then, they are sequels and that is why one tends never to see anything original these days. This one had some good action, some good humor and it was a nice distraction while it was on.
Little Evil (2017)
Better than a lot of straight horror fims made these days
23 October 2018
This film is a comedy horror, a bit of a spoof of the film, "The Omen". Actually, it is an okay spoof and more how a spoof should be made as it has its own plot and such, but you still know what film the movie is spoofing. At some point, spoofs just stopped being good as they were made without any sort of plot and were just a mishmash of scenes from hit movies of the years. Scary Movie kind of started this trend, though that franchise started off rather good, but soon we got Epic Movie, Disaster movie and a Twilight spoof that would have made some good money had they made a film like this instead of just copying and pasting the source material and adding a stupid joke into the mix that doesn't even work with said scene.

This movie has a man named Gary married to a wonderful woman who has a son making him a stepfather. Sounds typical, until Gary realizes that his stepson may be the antichrist! He attends a group for new stepfathers where a woman from work also attends as she is having a hard time dealing with the fact her new son doesn't like her El Camino with monster tires...so sad! Gary tries to deal with things, but everyone seems to be trying to get him to kill the young antichrist before he ushers in the end of the world!

The film is not perfect, but it did have a lot of good jokes as Gary is so clueless at first and tries so hard to form a bond with his stepson with the creepy goat puppet. His work friend who is a lesbian is funny too as she has his back and fits in so well with the other stepfathers. So much stuff going on in this one, as Gary has to figure out if he must kill the boy or try another way.

So, I have watched a few Netflix original horror films lately and this one and The Ritual were both pretty good. I have watched three others that were not all that great so Netflix is a bit of a mixed bag. Of course, I say if you are going to do low budget films, then horror is the way to go as it is the easiest; however, having said that, I have never rated a horror movie a score of 10. No horror movie has done everything flawlessly and this one is no exception. There were parts I did not care for, but overall thanks to the likable characters I got through this one and had a few chuckles. Remember to wear your seat belts!
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Moana (I) (2016)
Looks great, less fufilling
23 October 2018
Another film I watched while with my fiance that she picked out to watch. It was not bad and had its interesting moments and it was really nice to look at, but how many more of these messed up plot movies are we going to get? I guess a whole hell of a lot considering you smack Disney on anything and it does spectacular even when we get a story and a world where I cannot tell when things are supposed to be occurring or why things are occurring.

The story has a young girl who really wants to go sailing and imagines really peppy songs while her ancestors are shown sailing. There is something about a dude who steals a jewel from an island and has a magic fishhook that allows him to be anything he wants and not sure when this happens. An older woman telling the story suggests that it happened long ago, but Maui whose power is reliant on the fishhook hasn't aged a bit since that happened. He also has tattoos that move and are supposed to be funny, but they generally miss the mark. He joins the main character Moana to return the jewel to the island and meet all sorts of strange things that are never really explained thoroughly.

The film looks good and there are some funny moments and even a few catchy songs, but the story is so weak. Another in a long line of girls can do everything a guy can and be the hero, of course, in real life testosterone plays a factor and guys generally are stronger so that is why up to political correctness time men were the main protagonist in stories. Sorry, but no matter what you do, can't change biology. The demigod, Maui, of course is a lumbering oaf who does more hindering than helping, but at least he wasn't the bad guy, well I guess he sort of was...

So, a very pretty film to look at, you get a few catchy tunes, but you also get the same thing we have seen in quite a few Disney films lately. Female protagonist, doofus male sidekick and a twist at the end you will see for miles before it is revealed. I'm glad Marvel has some control over its section and is hands on with the material, I do believe it is the only thing keeping those movies really good.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.