Reviews

2,258 Reviews
Old school and super fun gothic horror game!
24 August 2019
I saw a trailer for this game and saw that it looked like another great game from back in the day, Symphony of the Night and I knew I had to get this one. It is made by the same creator as he apparently split Konomi and with the help of a go fund me was able to create this game. It shares quite a few similarities; however, it is different in many ways as well. The castle in this one is supposedly the biggest castle that the creator has designed as he has made several Castlevania games of this nature; though, having played only Symphony I can say that it seems a bit bigger, just not sure by how much.

The story has a young woman named Miriam trying to track down a man named Gebal. As children, both were part of cruel experiments meant to bring about some sort of demon apocalypse. Gebal survived the ritual; however, Miriam went into a deep slumber right before. She awakened years later and now a new castle of evil has appeared and so she sets forth to find out its dark and deadly secrets.

The game play is very much like Symphony of the Night in that it is side scrolling action game with some RPG elements to it as you must level your character and buy armor and weapons. There are a vast array of weapons to choose from as you have swords, daggers, whips and even guns! You also can take on abilities of your enemies. The game also offers you the chance to help out townsfolk and create weapons using alchemy. You can also cook meals that when you try them the first time you get a permanent stat boost!

So, this game is really fun. Symphony had a better story and had way better music, but this one is longer and you get to do a lot more. Both games are very good and I would not mind seeing more games of this type created as I like a nice side scrolling game every now and then. I would also love to see an old school RPG with the looks of Final Fantasy VI made with a super huge world, but that's just me. This game is definitely like revisiting the past with upgrades!
The Lion King (2019)
Pretty much everything you've seen before...
21 August 2019
Once again, I somehow avoided these films when they were animated back in the day, but forced to go to the live action remakes today thanks to the wife. I saw the original one on VHS and it was pretty good, certainly seen a lot worse; however, I never said to myself, "This would be so much better if it were like a nature documentary". That is pretty much all they did to change this as the story is pretty much exactly the same. I cannot really fault Disney for this lazy approach to making films as the masses are eating it up like leftover spaghetti. Why make anything new, original or that isn't a comic movie as so many things have flopped badly when they try a different formula or try and adapt a novel. The best approach these days is just keep doing the same stuff and that is what this film pretty much does and though I thought it lacked a certain cuteness and expression turned into real looking animals, I cannot argue the profits it is turning.

The story, well, the king of the Pride Land and his wife have a child named Simba and the king's brother Scar who wishes to be king is not overjoyed by this arrival. He tries to hatch a plan to kill his nephew and then hatches a plan to kill the king. Simba leaves the Pride Land and meets a warthog and meerkat who teach Simba to just forget everything and don't care, but a childhood friend sends Simba back to the land of his birth to take his place as the rightful king.

The film has issues for me and the main one is the facial expression is just not there. They may as well be doing the whole using peanut butter to make it look like they are talking here. I would think with all the advancements made in computer generated graphics that they could make Simba and company look happy, sad and show other emotions and still make the animals look real. Sadly, no, they either could not or wanted this to look as real as possible; however, if you wanted that, why make the animals talk at all? May as well have taken the Milo and Otis approach and get one actor to do a voice over. Speaking of voice overs, whoever thought that not bringing back Jeremy Irons as Scar is a complete and utter moron!

So there you have it, my review of a movie that I feel was pointless to be made, but I am apparently alone in this thinking as the movie has done quite well. It is pretty much watching the Lion King again only with real animals and a strange change to daytime while, "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" was being performed. Seriously? What is up with that one? Too expensive to have CGI night or something? It is cute to see the lions as cubs, but the film just lacks the power of the original. I will not call it a wasted trip to the movies though as my wife enjoyed it and she is the one who wished to see it.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Peter tingle tells me to rate this movie highly!
19 August 2019
After looking forward to Endgame for a year and wondering how it was going to play out, I have to say, while I enjoyed it I was mildly disappointed with it too. Certain aspects of it I did not care for, the way certain characters portrayed and such. So, then I saw the film that immediately followed and have to say I enjoyed this one a bit more than Endgame despite how huge that movie was. Of course, this may be due to the fact I am a huge Spider-man fan and he and Hulk are my favorite two comic book super heroes. That may be another reason I was a bit disappointed by Endgame, because Hulk really did not do all that much and seeing a character whose trademark line in the comics is Hulk is the strongest there is! constantly get beat and be a non factor really irked me. Enough about that one though, this one was a really good movie and had a very well done Mysterio.

The story has Spider-man/Peter Parker still coming to terms with the death of his mentor and the fact that life has moved on for so many people while it seems like he stood still. Thankfully, nearly all of the people Peter know looks to have been taken out by the snap, which is a bit hard to believe, but I'll role with it. He tires of being Spider-man and just wants to enjoy his class trip to Europe; however, his mom, Happy and Nick Fury all think he needs to continue being Spider-man as a strange threat appears and Spider-man must team up with the strange Mysterio to try and thwart it.

Mysterio was done very well in this film, during one scene where he confronted Spider-man I kept thinking this is exactly how Mysterio fights. I did think that this film would feature Scorpion due to the last Spider-man film, but it was cool to see Mysterio who is one of my fave Spidey villains on the big screen. Tom Holland continues to do a good job as both Spider-man and Peter Parker, a trait the earlier two lacked as Tobey was good as Peter, but lacked Spidey's delivery and Garfield could deliver the constant barrage of insults to his enemies, but did not fit the role of Peter at all.

All in all a very good Spider-man movie and the way this one ended makes me wonder who might the villain be in the next one. I am hoping it is Kraven the hunter as I can see him in the next film after what they established at the end of this one or maybe the Scorpion will make his entrance into the Marvel cinematic universe? Who knows, not particularly excited about the universe moving forward, but I am always happy to see the wall crawler on the big screen.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The poor monsters did their best to carry this film
26 June 2019
I enjoyed this film as it had incredible monster action and it was totally awesome watching Godzilla battle Gidorah on the big screen. That being said, the plot was not the best and with the exception of Ken Watanabe, the actors in this film really failed to make an impact. Still, I went to this film to see my first love as a young child, Godzilla, so I came away from this one satisfied for the most part. I would like to see this do better, but I can understand why people are staying away from it as some of the plot is just head scratching bad!

The story, more Titans have been located and are being tracked as they are all in slumber for the most part. Prepare to hear Skull Island multiple times throughout this one as it wants us to know that Kong is the next Godzilla opponent. Well, a terrorist organization goes after the beasts in the hopes to destroy everyone because that is what will benefit the planet most. There is also a daughter and mother combination that I thought was a son and mother combo for a bit as the commercials she looked like a boy and their dad is an expert at nothing, but can fight and thank goodness the monsters fight because this story was not top notch.

In this film, Godzilla's main opponent is Gidorah, which in itself is a head scratcher to me. We have a three headed dragon who spews lightening and comes from space and Godzilla's next opponent is a giant monkey...seems like a downgrade to me. Suffice to say, the next film I will be asking for a spoiler and that spoiler will be who wins, Kong or Godzilla. If it is Kong, not going. I had to put up with Kong inexplicably winning the first time, this time no, not getting my money if he wins which my guess he will because Hollywood will figure a monkey is more relatable or some crap!

So, the monsters do a fine job or fighting and wrecking havoc. It was cool to see versions of Mothra, Rodan and Gidorah on the big screen and in a way that looks like they are destroying cities and not models of cities. Granted, I still like a number of Japanese Godzilla films more than this one. Next up for Godzilla, Kong and if Kong is the victor this film will not be next up for me!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Coma: Recut (2017 Video Game)
An okay survival horror game
25 June 2019
I saw a trailer for this one on the Playstation Network and I liked the aesthetics of it so I thought I would give it a go. Suffice to say the artwork and look of the game was really good to me and the story was pretty good. Was not a huge fan of the game play mechanics though. Still, two out of three is not bad I guess and it made for an interesting game for a while, I just thought it could have been a bit more fun, more exploratory and less run for your life from box cutter wielding teacher!

The story has a student rushing to school after discovering he is late to school. Upon his arrival he learns of a fellow students apparent suicide attempt. Despite the gruesome discovery, exams are still on and the students try to get themselves together. The main character's teacher wishes to see him after class and considering she is attractive, he readily agrees though it is to discuss his falling grades. He ends up falling asleep in the middle of exams and awakens in a strange alternate school known as "The Coma". He must figure out a way out of the nightmarish version of his school or risk being lost there forever!

The game is alright, but I just wish there were less things in there that could hurt you. I know, that makes the game a bit less challenging, but I would prefer it. Those poison things on the ground were annoying as heck! You do not get many ways to evade in this game, usually you must resort to hiding in a closet or trying to do a jump roll passed your pursuer who takes the form of the teacher your character has a crush on. The story is interesting enough, however, to overcome the mechanics.

So, not great by any stretch of the imagination. The rooms are a bit too similar and I wish there was more to explore before crazed teacher chase becomes more constant. The game looks good to me though and the story is enough to make up for the sluggish and problematic controls. They are not horrible, just not the best. There was a glitch I ran across too where I did the duck down and it literally froze my character in place one time. Still, worth a play through as it is short.
Dark Phoenix (2019)
Not really that vastly different from the other X-men films
19 June 2019
This film was good...that being said, if one spends a bit too much time thinking about it, questions start arising. Best to just turn them off and enjoy the last X-man film done by a Fox before they became sellouts giving Disney an even bigger monopoly in the movie industry. I am not sure I understand the hate as this X-men film plays out roughly the same as the others, not following the look of the comics and doing their own thing. Bryan Singer screwed this series up from the start and for some reasons if he is not doing the film they are automatically bad even though they follow the style he established when he was copying the Matrix in the first film by putting the X-men in black leather in 2000. The casting has always been hit (Wolverine, Magneto, Professor X) or miss (Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm). At least the prequel portion of the series got the latter three closer to right than did Singer's. While an entertaining film, this one though suffered from a myriad of problems, the main one being it almost seems like there should of been another film between this and Apocalypse.

The story has the X-men a super hero team that the world adores now (like I said, seems a film is missing). Professor Xavier sends his students into space to help a shuttle and something happens to Jean as a strange force enters her. Mystique gets mad at Professor Xavier for risking the team and I am thinking, she was never on the X-men in the first place! Jennifer's turn as Mystique is a grave mistake they made when creating the First Class, as the focus of this character became too big. She was never as important in the comic as she has been in the prequels. Well Jean begins to lose control of her powers as nondescript aliens are after her, Magneto gets involved and the world will fear the Dark Phoenix!

So, in the X-men films, they have used Magneto in every one and kind of used other villains in the comic series here and there, did use Apocalypse though he looked nothing like Apocalypse and used Dark Phoenix twice. The amount of villains not used is absurdly high as Mr. Sinister, Stryfe, Omega Red, Mojo never made an appearance and that is just off the top of my head! Then they will throw in a mutant with a bizarre power who was never in the comic as a fill in when there are so many to choose from! That being said, Disney has underused villains too for reasons that I cannot fathom.

So, this is the final X-men film before Disney reboots the series and unfortunately, it is too little, too late for them to enter the fray. The story that would have made sense for them to enter is the Infinity Gauntlet, but that is done. Needed more villains in those movies anyways, not more heroes. They could do a Secret War set of films, but so many of the crucial players in that series are seemingly done like Captain America, Hulk and Iron Man. I do believe we will see a downturn in quality from the Disney Marvel films now as they are fully in control. The start of the Disney Universe did not even manifest with them, but rather Paramount with Iron Man. This series has run even longer than the MCU, but it has been wildly inconsistent. While I enjoyed the film, I just felt it seemed off as I had not gotten to know this Jean Grey enough to be as emotionally vested as had there been a movie in-between. It was nice to see Cyclops be effective for a change, though.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aladdin (2019)
It was all right, but nothing you haven't seen before
17 June 2019
I am not sure what is up with the trend of Disney redoing their old animated classics and turning them live action. Well, okay, there is the whole money thing; however, that does not really explain why people want to see almost the exact same film again or why Disney is releasing so many of these live action adaptations in 2019 as there have been two so far and at least one more to go. I would probably spread them out a bit, hold one back for hard times or something. This one is the live action Aladdin, and it was okay, but nothing that will blow you away in terms of new content.

The story is essentially the same as Aladdin dreams of wooing Jasmine the princess. He is given the opportunity to enter a cave and retrieve something for Jafar and it turns out to be a lamp containing a magical genie. Well, Aladdin now has three wishes and Jafar has schemes of his own as Aladdin wishes to win the princess and Jafar wishes to rule the kingdom!

The casting was pretty good as I thought Will Smith as the genie was the highlight of the film and he held it together making it more enjoyable. The guy who played Aladdin was rather good and Jasmine was most definitely a much better looking counterpart to the Disney princess she was playing in comparison to Emma Watson's Bell. Was not wild about the guy playing Jafar though as he did not really seem all that evil and also did not really look the part to me.

So, this live action adaptation was better to me than the Beauty and the Beast one, it seemed more like a movie. That one seemed like some sort of special one would see on ABC to me for some reason. It was a bit tedious at first, but once Will Smith entered the picture as the genie I thought the film livened up a lot and was more enjoyable. There are a few new things added to this as the genie has a love interest, but for the most part, it is essentially the same film with not too much in there to surprise. Next up, the live action Lion King which my wife will probably also want to go to.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forgotton Anne (2018 Video Game)
A surprising gem I found on the Playstation store
29 May 2019
I watched the trailer for this game and bought it, took me awhile to get around to it, but have to say I was impressed. It has an old school charm, but with graphics that make you feel like you are watching a cartoon. It also has a lot of likable and funny characters and has many emotional points as well. It also featured a couple of train scenes, and for some reason I always enjoy a good train level in a video game!

The story has a young woman named Anne who is an enforcer in a world where things that have been forgotten have taken on a life of their own. She lives in a world of lamps, scarves and socks who go about their day. The man who raised her, however, has a plan to get them back to the real world. There are rebels who try to stop him, so Anne goes to investigate the rebels and soon learns some things about the world, Bonku (the man who raised her) and she will learn about herself.

The game play is very similar to those old school side scroll games where you pull yourself up and must navigate a series of obstacles. Flashback, Out of this World, the original Prince of Persia are a few examples of this type of game. This really has no way to get killed though so you are mainly trying to get past several obstacles and puzzles. You also have to talk to many colorful characters and this is fun too.

So, the game was quite fun; however, like a lot of digital games it is on the short side. Not too short though as it does a good job telling its story. My guess there may be a few endings to get to this one as well. I am surprised this game was published by Square Enix as it features all English programmers. Also surprising, is how much it has the look and feel of a Miyazaki film. So, if you like a game with a good story and is a puzzle platform game with some choices in dialog, give this one a shot, it is very well done.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Injustice: Gods Among Us (2013 Video Game)
Fun fighting game featuring the heroes and villains of DC
23 May 2019
I have not played a fighting game in a long time (in fact, I think the last one I played is DC vs Mortal Kombat); however, I have been on such a comic kick lately that I got this one, its sequel and Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite. I have yet to play this one's sequel, but I have one the story mode on both this and Marvel vs Capcom. After playing them both and doing missions and arcade mode, I have to give the edge to this one. The fighting is a bit easier and less stiff than the fighting in this one, but the arcade mode and S.T.A.R lab mission modes in this one are much better giving this one better replay value.

The story has an alternate reality where the Joker tricks Superman into killing Lois and in turn her heart stoppage causes a bomb to explode killing millions in Metropolis. This makes Superman go pretty much insane as he creates a world where he polices the world and keeps everyone in line, or else! Meanwhile, in another reality, the Justice League are fighting Lex Luthor and multiple villains when Green Lantern, Joker, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow and Aquaman are pulled in this very oppressive reality by the Batman there in hopes of stopping Superman's reign of terror.

The story mode is good and kept me playing till I won it to see how it ended. This one though also offers several other play modes that will make me play through each scenario, use each character and complete several missions too! So much to do, which causes me to be baffled by the lack of stuff to do in Marvel vs Capcom. The fighting in that one is better to me, but not by much so this one gets the overall edge on that one despite controls that at time feel a bit stiff.

So, this one was fun and I still must play through the arcade mode as each character as it offers a different ending for each one. I also must do the S.T.A.R missions too. So a lot going on in this one as compared to Marvel vs Capcom which would have benefited with multiple endings and a few other modes to choose from. This one also has the nice touch of environmental attacks too. So choose your hero or villain and tackle an assortment of heroes or villains or play through the story mode and stop the crazed alternate dimension Superman!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (2017 Video Game)
Fun fighting game, could've been better with more options
23 May 2019
I have not played a fighting game in years, but I have been so into comic films as of late I got this one and Injustice I & II for my birthday. I have played through the story modes of each now and I have played through the arcade mode a couple of times on Injustice and this one and so I feel I can give it a score and review it now. This one was good, I thought the story mode was pretty good, the fighting really good; however, the arcade mode was lacking. This is why I give the first Injustice game the edge, while that one has stiffer fighting controls, overall I enjoy the fact there is so much more to do with each individual character and they each have an ending. Here, you play through the arcade and it is fun and the fighting easier for me to do combos, but no matter who you choose, you get the same credit scroll.

The story has Capcom's world and Marvel's combining as Ultron and Sigmund have united (literally) to try and remove the flesh from the universe. It is up to many of the Capcom and Marvel heroes to fight to stop him, collect the infinity stones and save the united realms from Ultron Sigma. They will also have trouble from the mad titan and Jedha as well.

The story mode was good, but could have been longer as I wouldn't of minded more pairings just taking out Ultron's thugs. The fighting in this one is a bit unbalanced, in that there are characters stronger so some match ups are a bit more difficult to get past. The arcade mode though is lacking as they don't even save your stats as you battle through seven battles and then you fight the boss at the end of the story mode and no individual endings for any characters so no matter who you win the game with, same thing. The mission mode is not as good as Injustice's either as all the missions are comprised of here are doing insanely hard combos to a CPU enemy who does not fight you back, but does block, throwing off your combo...

It is a good game, as I really thought the fighting and special moves in this one was very cool. I played arcade mode with Chun Li and Ryu teaming up and I was able to do some amazing combos with them. I do like the tag battle too, but I also thought there should be a single vs mode in arcade so I could do one on one battles. The roster is fairly large; however, they are still charging 30 bucks for extra character packs which features five characters...paid 19.98 for the entire game and without individual endings I see no reason to purchase them anyways. They made a fun fighting game, but during this day and age, there should be more to do in a fighter and more to see to keep one playing.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Count Lucanor (2016 Video Game)
An okay game I downloaded on the PS4
20 May 2019
I enjoy going through the independent games on the PS store because there are a lot of hidden gems that have are unique and different from the norm. There are a lot of games that also have the classic look of the SNES era, which I enjoy the aesthetics of that age of gaming. This one looked interesting in the trailer so I gave it a go and I thought it was pretty good, but I also thought it could have been done better. Just seems they could have made a longer more detailed game than the one presented.

The story has a young boy whose father is off to war and who feels very upset when it is his tenth birthday and his mother has not made a cake or done anything for his birthday. He is angered and decides to leave home. He walks a trail and ends up meeting all sorts of characters on the road; however, he soon finds himself in a graveyard at night and everything is warped and twisted. He ends up making his way to a castle where if he can pass the trials, he can become rich and lead the life he always wanted.

The game play is an exploration and puzzle solving variation. There is also stealth involved because you are not going to be killing any of the enemies here, you just have to run and hide. Your main goal is to go into each room and find a letter in a treasure box that will spell out this creature's name, guess the name and you are the new heir to the throne. This is the disappointing aspect as I was expecting more of a explore the castle and find all sorts of strange things without the need to get by several death traps. Just did not seem like the game ran long enough and the way it started with your character on the road was more how I was expecting it to play out and was the best part of the game.

So the game was okay, just could have been better had it been longer and not revolved around guessing the name of that creature. I enjoyed meeting characters on the road and doing stuff for them and I would have preferred the castle be the same way without being bogged down in the name game. The game does have replay value though as there are several different endings to it. Worth a look, just not all I thought it was going to be.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gone Home (2013 Video Game)
I won't be going home again...
14 May 2019
This game started out promisingly enough; however, as I continued playing it the promise began to fade really fast. What starts out as something that makes you think something interesting is going to be revealed becomes predictable and so mundane. The only thing in the end that is interesting is the house that you must go through to unravel 'the mystery'.

The story has a young woman returning to her parents' house after a trip abroad. She finds no one home to greet here and a note from her younger sister saying she is not going to be there. So the woman goes through the house looking for stuff and hearing a whining teenager tell you all these things through her journal, while they throw in some things to distract you and to make you think that there will be some big reveal in the end and something mildly interesting going on...there isn't.

The game play is first person, and basically has you going through a house where you have very little interactivity aside from switching things on and off. Occasionally you find a note or something that triggers Sam's voice over that is all leading up to the fact she is a lesbian. The story is not even interesting enough to be a lifetime movie for crying out loud. Despite how large this house is, the game can be won in mere minutes too, making it truly unworthy in this day and age of games that take over 100 hours to win.

So, I enjoy a story oriented game and do not mind having no enemies to kill you, but you have to make the story a bit less mundane than the one presented here. The funny thing is, one of the reasons I decided to play this at all is because it was actually listed in someone's top 100 games of all time. I can easily think of over 100 games better than this off the top of my head that were not even mentioned on their list. Even that Silver Surfer game that everyone hates because of the difficulty was more fun than this. Walking around a house to learn the protagonists sister is a lesbian, wow, what a twist!
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An enjoyable end to the Infinity saga, but not as good as Infinity Wars
9 May 2019
I loved Infinity Wars, it being a totally awesome comic book film that did a great job of having dream team ups and great action and fights. Thanos was an awesome villain that looked unstoppable at times and seeing him snap and reduce half the population to ash was epic. One thing I have to say about this film is that I have never enjoyed a film so much while at the same time being disappointed with it. Was it epic? Yes, but it did not feel as epic as Infinity Wars. Did the main cast do a good job? Yes, but I felt the direction the story went was not all that good. It just seemed very off to me personally. I was not expecting them to rush off to where Thanos was and kill him with ease and then get the five years later line. I just did not care for that at all. They made too much time pass in between the snap and the reformation of the team and a new plan. There are other things that bothered me, but I did enjoy the action and the humor and other aspects of this film...it just was not as good as Infinity War.

The story starts out showing us that Hawkeye lost his entire family to the snap which seems a bit against the odds as it were. Then we shift to Tony Stark in space afloat and seemingly near death with Nebula when Captain Marvel comes to the rescue and the gang manage to track Thanos down and kill him after learning he disposed of the stones. Five years later, Ant-man resurfaces from the Quantum realm and somehow manages to come up with a going back in time plot that seems out of his area of expertise. Well, soon the Avengers are back together and planning to get the infinity stones so they can snap everyone back into existence; unfortunately, the Thanos of the past comes to learn of this plan and makes a plan of his own to get the stones the heroes collect.

The film was good, but it had problems, as I felt the film was just jamming characters in the film to make as many characters appear as possible. In Infinity Wars it felt more seamless and natural how things fell, this one it felt forced. We have not even seen Pepper in Rescue before in the films, but she shows up here. I was on the fence about Captain Marvel before, when I saw her in her own film, but now I am more sure...I don't care for her. I do not get the goofy ass smile she has like she is superior to everyone else. In the comics the likes of Thor, Hulk would annihilate her in a one on one battle, yet it looks to me like they are setting her up to be the number one Marvel hero going forward and it sucks as she is not that huge of a player in the comic world. The whole females teaming together to get her through the enemies was stupid too, mainly because if she just flies the opposite way, there are no enemies and she could have easily gotten the infinity gauntlet out of there! They went with the total wimp Hulk in this one too, kept expecting him to redeem himself against Thanos after the butt kicking he got, but nope, he was a non factor in the final battle. In the comic Hulk is stronger than Thanos physically to the point Thanos has said he would not go toe to toe with the Hulk as it would be an unwinnable endeavor. The good news the main Avengers save the film and make you enjoy it more than you would if it had Captain Marvel leading the charge. The originals keep you watching despite the flaws in certain areas of the film.

So, I enjoyed this one a lot, and I do like it better than Age of Ultron; however, it is not as good as the first film or Infinity Wars. The original cast is good and keeps you watching even though you know that some of them are not going to make it through the film. Unfortunately, if the future is Brie Larson as Captain Marvel then phase four of the Marvel plan is not looking so bright in my eyes. Not sure if it is too late to recast her or not, but she has no charisma. I will still watch sequels such as Spider-man, Guardians, Black Panther and Dr. Strange, but some of the movies they have planned for the future have me scratching my head. I always thought the Marvel Universe had more heroes than that of DC, but they seem to really be running out and relegating several big name heroes to series rather than big screen. Still, this one ends the infinity saga and not sure what they could ever do to top it and the infinity gauntlet anyways.
4 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hokuto ga gotoku (2018 Video Game)
Enjoyable game based on the anime
8 May 2019
This is one of those games that go poor reviews from certain publications and such, but I still wanted to play it anyway as I enjoyed the anime and really was salivating at the chance to control Ken and use his awesome kill moves. This game delivered this in spades and then provided various mini games to also partake in as you maneuver the wastelands and a town called Eden. So, suffice to say, it is a game that I enjoy and a lot of critics didn't. I do not understand why people did not enjoy this one as it was totally kick ass controlling Ken and I loved how he handled as it was fun being totally surrounded by the bad guys and knowing they didn't stand a chance!

The story has Ken hearing rumors that the love of his life, Yuria, has been seen heading to a town called Eden. He goes there and finds a city that is protected by a wall. He ends up getting arrested and earning his freedom via a tournament. He then learns that his love is locked within the strange sphere that is at the back end of the city. Ken helps out the city and investigates a way to see his love again.

The game play is extremely varied in this one as you have the fighting which was extremely awesome to me and makes up the bulk of the game play. Then there are various mini games within the city where you are a bartender, host a nightclub, gamble and do a whole lot of other things. This game uses the same formula as the Yakuza series of games from what I understand. The games are at times a lot of fun, the only one I did not care for is that medical game one as I always got thrown off! You also get to wander the wasteland in a buggy that you can do some customization with, outside Eden, the game has more of an arcade feel and the graphics are not quite as good as within Eden, but still fun and I love the enemy encounters outside Eden because they pit you against an absurd amount of bad guys!

So, I enjoyed this game a lot. I would have given it a ten, only I feel it should of had a longer main story to it so that one can naturally work down all the sub stories and such within the story arc. Instead, I ended up at the last chapter and felt the desire to just press on to the end. That is about the only complaint, but I think it would have made the game even better, also more fights like those at the end too would have been cool. Ones where you are fighting hordes of enemies as you try to make your way through a maze. Still, this game offers you plenty of opportunities to make people's heads explode!!!
Shazam! (2019)
One of my favorite DC heroes
23 April 2019
It is always cool when a super hero you like finally gets their own movie and I was excited when I first started to see the trailers to this one. I was also excited to see that Dwayne Johnson was going to be Black Atom. Well, I got saddened to learn that he would not be in this film and even more depressed when I learned that they were going to recast Henry Cavill as Superman as this just highlights the problems DC has had trying to bring a shared universe to the big screen. They recast, they plan to make a new Batman series not in the shared universe and a Joker movie and they have so many television shows of their characters. They are watering down their own universe and this is why Marvel will continue to chug along while DC will crash when they flip in new cast among Gal Gadot and Jason Momoa confusing viewers as to whether it is a continuation or something new. This film, thankfully, stands on its own quite well. Sure it exists within the DC universe, but you needn't see any of the other films to enjoy this one.

The story has a young Billy Batson having trouble fitting into foster homes as he desperately tries to find his mother. Well, after he takes up for one of the kids at his new home he is brought into the realm of the wizard Shazam whom grants Billy his powers as a last ditch effort because the seven deadly sins have entered a man obsessed with finding the wizard after he was deemed unworthy of being the keeper of Shazam's powers as a child. Billy uses the powers a bit for his own gain, unsure how to control them, but is forced into action when Dr. Sivana and the deadly sins inside him wish to eliminate Shazam so that none can stand before him!

The casting is rather good, I found it a bit strange that they got Mark Strong to play the villain in this one as he also played Sinestro in the Green Lantern film where he never got to be the main villain in the non existent sequel to that film. Zachary Levi plays Shazam here and he does a pretty good job, although it is obvious that the costume is the reason he has the muscles in this one. the child actors all do a good job in this one as well.

So, it was a good film, would have enjoyed it more had they included the Rock as Black Atom in this one. They introduced another Shazam enemy though that is a bit more obscure so I am guessing he may be in the sequel making me wonder if Black Atom is going to be in any Shazam movie, which considering DC's track record I can see them totally screwing up and not adding him. These Shazam movies are going to have a short shelf life though as the kids are going to get older, so it may be a one and done due to DC's like of vision. Which is a shame as it looked like they were beginning to get on a role with Aquaman before they started the lets recast Superman stuff.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I enjoyed it, but my least favorite of the Marvel series so far
19 March 2019
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later, finally a movie in the Marvel universe set of films that garnered a score less than 8 from me. Most have gotten 9's and 10's with some 8's. This one though I have to give a seven as the score, which is still a good score, nothing too bad, it just did not feel epic enough, like it was a backstory that was not important, with nothing new and no surprising moments. My least favorite up to this point was probably a tie between the third Iron Man film and the first Thor film; however, they had more going for them than this one did going for it. It just did not feel epic in the least.

So, the story has a woman named Vers trying to harness her powers and having strange dreams about a past she has no memory of. She is on the planet of the Kree, which tells you right away who the villains of this one are if you have watched the other Marvel Universe films. Well, she is captured by the Skrull who probe her memory and end up near Earth as they try to find a woman from Vers past who holds the key to a light speed engine. Vers must find this woman and stop the Skrull, while agent Fury tries to get a handle on this woman who claims to be from another planet, but also seems to have ties to Earth.

Captain Marvel is not really a favorite of mine. She is not really someone I dislike either. Honestly, she was not around at all when I read the comics and is pretty much a B squad hero. The first Captain Marvel was a male who was killed. I believe Carol Danvers is the second to have the moniker of Captain Marvel, but when I was reading the comics, she too had lost her life at the hands of Rogue who inadvertently killed her and took her powers of flight and super strength. So no, she was not really all that, and they totally over powered her in this film. She is not in Thor's or Hulk's class of strength, if I had to compare her to someone, it would be Iron Man. In this film, the conclusion of the film has her taking down huge space ships on her own and totally beating the bad guy's ass with ease which is just plain boring. It was also so obvious her mentor was going to end up being the bad guy, I mean the Kree had just signed a treaty in the present times, of course they were the real bad guys then!

So, the film just was a bit of a bore in terms of surprises and such. The main surprise in this one is how Nick Fury loses his eye! His character adds something to the film and I thought Brie's Captain Marvel while a bit of a bore in the first part of the film becomes a bit more likable in the second half. Give her a decent opponent at the end that can put up a fight and try to come up with some good revelations and this one is better, but that is the problem setting the film in the past, too much you can mess up and there is too much we already know. The cat Goose was the best part of this one, but I still enjoyed it overall.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You'd think more monster action would make it a better movie...
18 March 2019
...it doesn't! This film is a sequel to Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus and it does have more shots of the beasts in this one, but it is still somehow worse! Granted, still better than other films I have seen from Asylum and one called Shark Exorcist that is the worst shark film I believe I have ever seen. No, this one is bad, but not on that film's level of terrible! This one's main problem is that it plays itself too seriously and that doesn't work for a film where the monsters seem to be somehow in Florida at one point and then Ha in the same day! They are not even moving that quickly...

The story, Mega Shark is alive and well and ready to do some more damage and does so by taking out a shark where we are introduced to Terry McCormick played by Urkel! Only, he is trying to play it smoothly like he did in those episodes of Family Matters when he was supposed to be cool and not Urkel, but he was still a dork. Mega Shark's opponent this time is a giant crocodile who is lying eggs everywhere to add to the mayhem and the very disjointed ending where this is happening and that while the two beasts fight and the humans come up with plans, helicopters crash only to be airworthy again and a volcano is activated!

The cast is the usual thing as they manage to get Jaleel White who is still waiting for a Family Matters reunion and who criminally does not go, "Did I do that?" at any point in the movie! He didn't have to use the voice, but that would have added some levity in an overly serious bad film. Then there is the Australian hunter type who is in the Congo and the super annoyingly voiced tough agent female who reminded me of Peri Gilpin when she guest starred on Wings as the super annoying female that almost gets Brian drowned in a phone booth. Throw in the doctor from the Star Trek where they are lost and you have yourself a cast that is easily forgettable!

So, this one does have more giant beast mayhem, but still manages to not be quite as good as the previous film. It may have something to do with the fact that film did feature a few really funny attacks as the shark pulled a plan out of the air and took a bite of the bridge and does not really do anything in this one of note. The crocodile just kind of plods along and then they fight and it is just all over the place. Oh well, the films are bad, but they are in the sort of fun to watch realm.
My favorite of the 3D Zelda games, perhaps my fave period
12 March 2019
I enjoyed the 3D games such as Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess; however, I also found them to contain flaws. Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess I found the dungeons over huge, Majora's Mask I felt was too repetitive and then Windwaker I found to have a very bland over world as it just took forever to sail to places. Skyward Sword I could not even get through because there was a really good game in there, but it was plagued by the WII's shoddy controls. This one though was just great, not perfect, but closer than any of the other 3D perspective games I have played. My other super favorite Zelda game is the one for the Super Nintendo, Link to the Past. This Zelda game is more about exploring and I enjoy doing that a lot. There are dungeons, but they are navigated easily and it doesn't take all that long to get through them and I did not need a guide to navigate them! A real treat and a great entry to the series.

The story has Link awakening from a slumber with no memories. He gets a device called a Shieka Slate that helps him navigate the world and he sets out on his quest to stop Ganon who is at it once again! Link must find shrines to increase his power, he must free the guardians to gain powers and help aid in his quest to defeat Ganon and he must help the lands become free of terror that is Ganon!

The game play is mainly exploring as you get to got where you want after you get through the first plateau and get the glider. Granted, it becomes easier getting places the more stamina you build up as this Link has amazing climbing abilities! It is fun just searching for towns, stables to spend the night and checking the map and seeing if anything looks interesting to explore. You can find this little guys called Koraks that give you seeds that help expand your inventory and you can find shrines to help you can heart containers and more stamina plus there are fairy fountains to help increase the strength of your inventory. Weapons break in this one and at times that was a bit annoying, but not as bad once you get the master sword. I also wish Nintendo had a trophy system because it would have added more motivation to complete quests, as you do not get all that much for completing most quests, usually just rupees which are kind of plentiful in this one.

So, definitely my favorite of the 3D perspective Zelda games and perhaps my fave period. I loved the exploring aspect of the game, though I did not really take advantage of the horse riding in this one. I was afraid I would miss too much riding the horses. It is fun finding new places in this one, as I said I would open the map and try to figure out an interesting place to go during my quest. Where a shrine might be hidden or a Korak may be hiding. I liked freeing the guardians and gaining powers that would help me survive longer or explore more fully too. Just an incredible game, I like this format and hope they do a variation of it for another Zelda, but perhaps add a few more typical dungeons to change it up.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
With that title, it should have been even more awesomely bad
11 March 2019
I remember we laughed about this movie back in the day and talked about how this creature or that one should win between this two super predators; however, I never actually saw it. Well I rectified that recently and I was not missing much it seems. Don't get me wrong, it was not as terrible as others I have seen such as Shark Exorcist which I wish I could have scored in the negatives, just seems they really needed to have more shark and octopus action going on in this one. It is talk, talk and more talk and then maybe a one minute clip of one of the two beasts doing something.

The story has a marine biologist or something in a submarine studying whales and there is something about a transmitter that goes kind of nowhere and soon a glacier breaks in have and mega shark and giant octopus are released! Of course, later in the movie they make a point to say these two hate each other and will fight each other anew, but for some reason when they were right there facing each other they went their own ways. Well, they begin terrorizing the coast, the biologist gets fired, has a romantic interest, hangs out with her old professor, they do a bunch of stuff in labs that neither of them would probably know how to do, we have a guy on a submarine go berserk for no reason and we get maybe 10 or 15 minutes of shark and octopus and very little fight.

Debbie Gibson is in this and she is a bit distracting in that I kept trying to remember a song she sang and could only come up with, I Think We're Alone Now which she didn't even sing! She has aged well and looks good and her acting skills aren't horrendous, but it still seems a bizarre choice just as having Lorenzo Lamas as a more bureaucrat type seems a strange choice. Everybody else is pretty much generic filler.

So, the film did make somewhat of an impression and it was not as bad as some films I have seen, but still pretty bad. It would have been better with less talking and more giant beast mayhem. Of course, I am pretty sure the limited budget probably is the reason for very little time on screen for the stars of this film and the constant reuse of shots of the two giant foes. This film is also played deadly serious, even though they put Debbie Gibson in the lead role, that just screams more fun and almost parody rather than deadly serious fight for survival.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a spider in sight...
11 March 2019
I know, I know, Spiderwick is the name of the guy who wrote the book, but still, I was expecting a spider of some sort within this strange fantasy tale. Was not all bad, but I can also see why this went no further than the one movie as it is really nothing all that special. Just seems more like it should have been a pilot for a television movie rather than a feature length film, maybe even a Netflix series. Some things just are not as good when transcribed from book to film and that may be the case here too.

The story has a mother and her children moving into a house because they cannot afford to live in New York anymore and as usual they somehow end up moving into what is essentially a mansion. Happens all the time in films and books and it is a bit of a tired trope. "Children, we cannot afford to live in this two bedroom apartment, but as look would have it, I have access to a mansion in the middle of nowhere that will cost vastly less to live in!" Of course,there is one child who is not to keen about this, but then his brother is not exactly on his side, even though they are the same person! Then there is the sister who is annoying, but she knows fencing! cough foreshadowing cough cough. Well there is something in the house and it inadvertently leads to an upstairs secret room which houses a book that seems to have many secrets of mythical and wondrous creatures and opening seems to trigger things in motion leading to all sorts of nasty creatures looking for the book! The brother must find a way to protect the book and stop the creatures from taking the book, because there will be trouble if Mulgarath gets his hands on the book!

Freddie Highmore plays duel roles in this one as both twin brothers. He is more known now as the doctor with autism in, The Good Doctor. The film also has Andrew McCarthy in a small role which is a shock cause I have not seen him in anything in years! Dude used to be in everything! Nick Nolte is also in this film; however, his voice is used way more than the actor himself, though he does appear briefly as a human in this one. All the cast do okay , but the film is so by the numbers that it is not really all that surprising.

So, it was not a bad film, just a bit on the underwhelming side of things. Like I said, feels like a television pilot or something. For the most part, nearly all the action takes place around a house, but then we have this generic flying scene that does not look good to another bland locale. Just seems like this one should not have cost 90 million to make. It is not the worst movie though and has entertaining moments within, just not enough to be a really solid film.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just does not have the bite the first film had
3 March 2019
The problem with this movie is apparent looking at the page here on IMDB and the original Piranha from 1978. The budge for the original was 600,000 while the budget for this one was less than 150,000 dollars. The problem with sequels back in the day is that usually they got weaker as the series progressed, not stronger. The budget would get smaller so therefore the movies would too and that is most certainly the case in this one. The first one was probably one of the best rip offs of Jaws, while this one has a decent couple of kills, but has so much less in the way of kills and piranha action.

The story sort of follows the first one. At the end of the first one, though, it was implied that the few surviving piranha of it may have made it to the ocean where they were bred to survive. However, in this one they come from a boat that sank and had their eggs on board. They do mention the experiment in the first film though and what happened so it is a genuine sequel. Well the action takes place at a resort and its wacky tourists. Meanwhile, a scuba instructor, a man with a secretive side and a cop who is married to the cheating scuba instructor must figure out what is killing people before it's too late!

Could have been good as this film was directed by James Cameron and you can tell he was going to be good by the fact he only had a minimal budget and still managed to craft a movie around that. Too bad he didn't have more because the attack on the summer camp in the first film was better than the attack on the beach goers from this one. Seriously, it was so short! Forget comparing it to the finale at the lake in the first film, they are not even close. I was expecting a grand scene, but it petered out rather quickly, once again probably do to the budget constraints. Then there is the pointless plot point of the son and a girl kind of drifting around and never really getting into any danger.

So, no, this one is not as good as the first film, not even close. Just lacked the piranha action the first had and though they did give this piranha wings, the fact they had wings did not really factor into the finish as we get to watch two people swim from the piranha in a small looking boat that is much larger on the inside! Still, it is a lot better than some of the films they put out today featuring computer generated creatures and blood and you can see where James Cameron got his start.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utter garbage...a case can be made that this film deserves a zero
2 March 2019
I have watched many bad films over the years as I like the horror genre and a lot of really crappy films emerge from that category of film. I also was a huge fan of the television show MST3000 and they viewed some really terrible films over the years. I have also watched numerous shark films released by SyFy and they have been rather bad. This film, sadly, is one of the worst films I have ever seen if not the worst. I see reviews for this crap that give it a 10 and I am sure the reviewers are trying to be funny by giving a good review to this trash, but seriously, grow up. You know this is pure trash, I am willing to bet the people who made this know it was trash. No redeeming qualities at all unless you call seeing a bunch of okay looking actresses in bathing suits a plus, which I don't as I can see totally nude girls that look way hotter all over the internet! The film is listed a horror and then comedy, but it is not funny in the least, the special effects suck and worst of all the story is completely incoherent to the point I believe they did not even have a script for this god awful train wreck.

The story has a nun who kills a girl and summons Satan to avenger her and it comes in the form of a great white swimming around a lake. Well, we basically get the same shot of the shark throughout the movie. Some friends go to the lake, one gets attacked and one of them just kind of vanishes from the film with no explanation making me believe she just wanted to be in the film and tired of it or something. The girl who is attacked gets possessed, we get a psychic television show woman writhe on the ground and lots of scenes that go nowhere as a priest will do like a two second exorcism before we are treated to a scene of a woman who goes to sunbath and we watch as a guy takes her picture then goes through the pictures he has taken on his phone and then girl gets up and guy is gone and then the nun is back and stabs her. Then we get the ending and then two after credit scenes! The first one takes a good five minutes or more and goes nowhere and then we see the psychic one more time before the movie is thankfully over!

I enjoy watching a bad movie and making fun of it, but this film is just insulting. That the budget is 300,000 dollars makes me angry because I could use that kind of money to pay all my bills and still have lots over to live comfortably while they wasted it on this crap! I could have also easily have taken said 300,000 dollars and made a better movie too, but that would not have been too difficult. The film, Manos: Hands of Fate had a more coherent plot than this drivel.

So this film is not good in any form or fashion. If I could find the filmmakers I would punch them in the face for wasting money. Still not sure what the 300,000 was spent on as it was literally the same shot of the shark over and over, no gore effects to speak off and very so so looking actresses. The film was not enjoyable even in the it is so bad it is good category and at times they just seemed to add a scene in the film just to pad the film out. Avoid at all costs, it is not anything you want to view, the only things good about it was the poster for the film and it is a very deceitful poster at that.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lily C.A.T. (1987 Video)
Insane anime obviously inspired by American science fiction/horror
19 February 2019
I first watched this anime back in the 90's when the scifi channel actually showed a bit more variety and such having anime weeks, Godzilla weeks and for a short span having Mystery Science Theater 3000 on their station. I enjoyed it then and I recently re-watched it as I was in the mood for a scifi horror hybrid that was not Alien. I originally wanted to watch the original 1987 Nightflyers as I had only seen it on the same channel I saw this on originally and I was hoping to see an uncut version, but I struck out on Amazon Prime and several other streaming networks only pulling up the recent television show. Just was not into watching a television series so I thought about this movie and tried to see if it was available and it was! I was so surprised and happy so I gave it a watch and I still enjoy it.

The story has a spaceship that goes on an expedition to a remote planet to gather samples and such. The kicker is that the trip will take 20 years, so the crew will be in a suspended animation for that time and will only age a year. The captain is a veteran as is his crew, but the ones on this expedition and not part of the crew are from a corporation. They all have their reasons for going on this mission; unfortunately, two of them are not who they say they are. The captain dismisses this at first, but it is not too long after they awaken from their suspended animation that one of them turns up dead! Seems a strange bacteria has gotten on board and it begins killing the crew, it also morphs and becomes an even bigger problem as it has the ability to kill! However, this is not the only problem as something seems to have control of the ship and seems to be trying to cover up its mistake of taking on this alien bacteria!

While good, the anime is not perfect...though the main problem I have with it is the English voice overs which is not really the fault of the original makers. Most of them do all right, but at times they do a horrible job of portraying emotions, most notably when the blond falls on her knees and begins sobbing. That being said, this film gets points for being only an hour and seven minutes long and still able to develop its characters and have lots of action. Kind of wish more American movies were capable of this.

So, not perfect, but still a fun and wild ride. It does take a lot of inspiration from Alien and The Thing, but it adds its on spice to the dish as well as it truly is not just about the creature on the loose. It adds a touch of mystery as there are the two members of the crew who are not who they say they are and the mystery of who is controlling the ship. Some of the characters are dubbed poorly and I would like to see this with the original voice actors; however, the one doing the captain did a pretty good job and he was my favorite character.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
IO (2019)
Pretentious, totally crap science and boring!
24 January 2019
Yes, this film suffers from serious issues as it looks like it might have a good thing going by its description. Unfortunately, we are treated to another apocalypse film brought to us by Netflix, home to that sort of thing. We had Bird Box which we knew what was going on, we had Into the Forest where we had the vague apocalypse and we have this one where we sort of know what is going on, but we are bored to tears! At least Bird Box and Into the Forest were somewhat interesting, this one was just two locations, a lot of mundane conversation and a predictable romance forming.

The earth is now uninhabitable due to ammonia in the air. Most people have fled to a space station near a moon on Saturn or Jupiter (whatever, not like it's important) called IO. Forget about that though, it has virtually nothing to do with said movie and is instead about a bad actress walking around and trying to figure a way to continue leaving on earth despite the ammonia. Apparently, the higher you are the more air there is, but seeing as how ammonia is lighter than air it should be the most dangerous zone is one of the many flaws in this film along with there is no oxygen in ammonia. Well, a man comes, and wants to see this girl's father who is obviously dead, but they wait to surprise us even though anyone with two functioning brain cells can see it coming, and romance sparks even though the lead girl has all the charisma of a piece of paper. The guy has a balloon and wants to take her to a space ship to go to the space station by the moon this film is named for, but in the end more long drawn out conversations ensue, no tension is built and the film peters out like a whimpering dog.

The film had potential had they tried to add some sort of threat to the situation. I kept expecting them to get in the balloon and maybe run afoul of a storm, but no, nothing happens! My wife picked this one and even she got bored with it. I was hoping for mutant insects are something, anything to spice the film up and by the end so was she! The chemistry is nonexistent and there is nothing really interesting going on here.

So, another Netflix original that disappoints. It truly is the station of hits and misses, not that it has hit big yet. The two I like most that I have seen so far are The Ritual and Bird Box and I only gave each of those a seven. This one is like a film that starts and does not go anywhere at all. Just watching people going about their usual day with nothing really arising to challenge anything other than the prospect of actually getting to that space station by the moon this film is named after, but has nothing to do with the story! Last Woman on Earth's Mundane Existence would have been a better title, but I guess it would have been a bit lengthy.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aquaman (2018)
Never thought I'd enjoy an Aquaman film adaptation
24 January 2019
I am in the minority when it comes to the DC films in that I have enjoyed them all. I thought Man of Steel was an awesome Superman film, Batman versus Superman wasn't great, but the last portion of the film was good, Suicide Squad was pretty cool and Wonder Woman, well people liked that one. I even thought Justice League was good and was baffled that it had a disappointing box office take as it was so much better than Batman versus Superman. This one I was not sure of, because I just thought it would be difficult to make an interesting movie using only Aquaman. I was wrong and was surprised by how much I enjoyed this film.

The story has Aquaman coming out into the forefront as he takes out some pirates after we are introduced to Arthur's mother and his dad and how they met. He leaves a pirate father/son duo to die as they had been killing indiscriminately; however, this would later turn out to be a mistake as son wants revenge on Aquaman. Aquaman, meanwhile, must go back to his kingdom of Atlantis as his brother tries to start a war with those of us who reside on land. Arthur/Aquaman must try and reclaim his throne and prevent this war his brother so desperately wants and also deal with a new enemy, the Black Manta!

One of the reasons I enjoyed this one was the cast who did a very good job. It was nice seeing Dolph Lundgren in a big movie for a change rather than the direct to DVD stuff he usually does these days. Jason Momoa is really good as Aquaman and is one of the main reasons I think this one worked as he is very charismatic as the hero in this one. My favorite though was the Black Manta as they had the costume down pat! He looked completely awesome and the fight between him and Aquaman was the highlight of this movie for me!

So, overall, a very fun action movie and surprisingly so for me. I think the DC films are rather good, though I still favor the Marvel film universe more. I have always enjoyed Marvel more in the comics too as I find their heroes more relatable and less overpowered than those of DC, but I like the DC characters too. I am looking forward to Shazaam as well as that one looks fun too. Sorry, but comic book films should be fun and not all dark and serious...unless we are talking Spawn of course.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.