Reviews

Crooked House (2017)
Enjoyable movie.
1 October 2019
I read the book about two years ago and found it rather odd and not particularly appealing, unlike some other of Christie's books. Apart from the poem about the crooked man and the identity of the murderer there's little i could remember about the plot. On the other hand, the movie was really enjoyable and well acted. I liked the atmosphere, the actors, the music, the interiors, etc. Glen Close's acting was superb. Having the lady detective from X Files appear in this crooked story was a nice touch. i also enjoyed recognizing other actors from my beloved series Poirot. The movie is definitely worth watching, pls give it a try. I enjoyed it even if i knew the murderer all along.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why not? It is creative and intresting. Stop listening to snobs!
10 June 2019
It's easy to understand: those who love Nathaniel Hawthorne's novel, (especially the awfully snobbish critics) simply hammered this into the ground. I, on the other hand, watched this movie before reading the book. And LOVED it. Maybe it's not my favourite movie of all times, but at least I became a fan of Gary Oldman watching it. It is a very imaginative interpretation of Hester's story, we get to see how she arrived, fell in love, etc. Let's face it, the book plot is rotten - endless descriptions and moralizing sermons. The story of a woman who sinned and is subdued by the 'pure' society. The movie's Hester is strong and defiant. We learn the back story, and understand her love. She is not just a Fate's puppet. She is able to fight for her life and love, in spite of a hostile and narrow-minded society. The depiction of colonial America is enjoyable and informative, and the rev. Is just too cute.
Gambit (I) (2012)
Enjoyable movie, very stupid trailer.
15 April 2019
The purpose of a trailer is to make you wanna watch the movie. This trailer for me did the opposite. i said to myself: NO, i don't wanna see that much of Alan Rickman ('s body), NO Cameron Diaz's accent is much too fake for my taste, NO i don't care why Colin Firth has no trousers, he's probably playing a filthy idiot, that's why he's punched by everybody. Conclusion: no, i don't wanna see two of my favourite British actors embarrassing themselves in a rubbishy film.

It took a LOT of persuasion for me to agree to WATCH the whole movie. But guess what: when i did watch it, i actually LIKED it. (I still can't forgive her for that annoying accent, though) . The movie is funny, the interiors are gorgeous and the characters are likeable:
  • I simply felt like hugging Colin's character for always seeing his masterplans shatter. He always has a very sorry look on his face. And a bandage. (To say nothing about his vivid imagination).

• Cameron's character is kinda cute in a rough country girl way.

-As for Lionel - Alan's character: 1. I love his little"roar" 2. He is shown from two different perspectives (a TRULY CLEVER idea- reminds me of modernist literature- stream of consciousness and all that jazz) 3. Luckily, he's starkers just for about 10 seconds during the whole movie.

In conclusion: don't get fooled by the trailer: the movie isn't some cheap rubbish - a collection of cheap laughs. It IS funny, has some... ermm scenes, but also some lovely art pieces, clever dialogue and yes- lovable characters. Arrrrrrr.
Dark Harbor (1998)
.... ermm. What have i just watched?
15 April 2019
The trailer advertised it as a thriller, a lot of struggle scenes, nightmares, trying to escape, etc. Then you decide to watch the movie... patiently waiting for something to happen. When something does happen... ah well.... the movie ends and you are left with the question in this review's title. I adore Alan Rickman and LOVE movies with few characters because you have the chance to study them in depth, they develop making you either love or hate them. Here the characters go nowhere. The movie is rather hard to follow because the actors mumble their lines as if they were completely bored or drunk while filming. Maybe they were both, just struggling to finish the damn movie. Although Alan is on screen most of the time, he has the most bored expression you've ever seen. The only character i really felt sorry for was Alex's mother at the end. "Show me your eyes"...
A Promise (2013)
A promise you it's good.
12 April 2019
This is a truly superb movie: interiors, costumes, eerie music and a sense of loss and grief. I watched it mostly because of Alan Rickman and he doesn't disappoint. This is one of his final performances and it seems to me almost a testament of his career- a sort of reminder of Truly madly deeply. Rebecca hall is gorgeous and refined as Frau Hoffmeister. a true joy to watch: meditative, gentle, loyal respectful and true. I didn't much care for the young lad. a lot of people here commented about the very little chemistry between the two- i think SHE did beautifully, but HE was just either distant or creepy. In my opinion the movie should have ended a few scenes earlier- as she was talking on the phone. it would have been a beautiful open ending. Pls, do try this experiment: stop the movie when you see her on the phone, then... if you feel like, watch the ending.
Avatar (2009)
Master of controversy
6 January 2019
To me it's appalling that there are people who dislike this movie. My only explanation is that people react at impulse against the huge publicity surrounding the movie's release. I refuse to think it's because of emptiness of heart. This movie is one of the greatest masterpieces ever created, not only visually stunning, but the message is universal and the rendering intense. You are not only drawn into this fantastic universe, but you are also infused with a sense of guilt when you realize the movie is about you . Well the movie is a metaphor . Still the Academy decided to give the award to a movie that praised war and destruction. Rather cynical, I think.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Boxer (I) (2009)
come on, give it a chance!
23 February 2014
i've just finished watching the movie and wanted to see how it was rated on IMDb. it seems people didn't like it very much, well, i did... i'm not terribly interested in boxing/ fighting movies as a rule. i don't usually watch them. still, this one caught my eye. the scenario has some clichés,the theme of becoming someone from no one has been used in hundreds of films, from Cinderella to Karate Kid.

but maybe the director didn't care very much about the scenario itself. it's not just another boxing movie, it's not about fighting in the ring, it's about fighting in life. i liked the atmosphere (smoky light, beautiful classic music), which is rather poetic and meditative, as if someone had tried to make a nice painting of a fighting scene.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Till We Meet Again (1989– )
one of my childhood's dreams.
11 March 2011
i watched this series when i was little (8 or 9) and it had quite an impression on me. my uncle somehow managed to tape it and so i re watched it several times. what i liked best was not the story itself but its historical and geographical background, i mean, Gosh! the movie spans from the beginning of the 20th century to the early 50s, and covers 3 countries France, England, USA. i was greatly impressed by the WWII episode, the "Resistance" and all, fer me it was an excellent prelude to Schindler's list, though the drama is much stronger in the latter. it had beautiful soundtracks and a whole lot of interesting characters. i liked them all but there was one that i loathed!!! Poor Hugh Grand it was the first movie i've seen him in... i can't remember hating a character as much as i hated Bruno. it was yeeeeaaars after when i watched other movies of his and realized that "Hey! That was just a role, you don't have to hate the actor too! lool!"
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I liked it !
13 September 2010
i've just seen the movie and i enjoyed it. one shouldn't expect the shooting and love scenes that are so common in today's movies, the film has a certain classical perfume. although the action lacks violent events and all the characters behave calmly, the tension is present always, especially through music and landscape, a constant feeling that something bad is about to happen. there are some beautiful moments of interior struggle which are not expressed through words but through the glowing eyes or shadows on NC's or Celia Johnson's face. the lines are poetical in the well-known NC style and the music is beautiful. the movie is intense and personal.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.