Reviews

Good Boys (II) (2019)
Nostalgic
18 August 2019
Great movie if you're in your late twenties - just old enough that you feel like an adult, but not old enough to actually have your life together. Very nostalgic and relatable, which makes the jokes even funnier! Honestly, a fantastic way to spend 1.5 hrs.
12 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic
14 August 2019
This movie was fantastic. On a production level, the sets were incredible, the costumes impeccably designed, and the acting was stellar. Truly felt like it was a film that would've been put out in the 60s. On a director's level, Tarantino spends the first 2 hours getting the audience emotionally invested in the characters by integrating their background stories into their present livelihoods. And the ending, which in my opinion was the best part, will surprise you! I have a vague knowledge of the Manson murders from following along with pop culture, so I believed I knew how the movie was going to end. But Tarantino takes the audience for a spin, creating a hilarious scene out of what was a tragedy in reality. A must see!!
19 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brian Banks (2018)
Educational, but not entertainment.
14 August 2019
If you are looking for a movie to provide you with a few hours of entertainment and lightheartedness, this is not it. This film depicts a gut wrenching true story of a young black man who had his future rearranged by a broken system. It very much parallels the issue of racism within the justice system that young black men in America continue to face. I learned a lot about how sexual assault cases are approached in the legal system and how little true justice is involved in comparison to strategy. God bless the work that the California Innocence Project has been doing.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Lion King (2019)
A different perspective
6 August 2019
There have been a lot of negative reviews discussing the use of CGI and inevitable lack of emotions in this movie. I think we can all agree that the original animated Lion King has stood the test of time, and the emotions that the animators invoke through their work is one of the reasons. The animated film has connected with audiences throughout generations. So if it is so beloved, what would be the point of remaking it?

I challenge you to think about this film not as a simple remake of a classic Disney movie, but as a form of art. Yes, inevitably the CGI versions of the animals do not invoke strong emotional ties, but the imagery created by the computer is amazing!! The CGI is incredibly well done and the interactions between the animals appears to be so natural, as if this all could have actually taken place. And the imagination that the concept artists and voice over actors had to utilize in order to perform their work is also a tribute to their skill. Overall, this film is a work of art for reasons entirely different than its animated sibling and should be appreciated as such.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tough break
6 August 2019
I think we can all agree that Avengers Endgame was not only beyond incredible to watch, but as a whole brought together multiple loose ends from the Marvel Universe. Spider-Man: Far from Home is at baseline an entertaining movie to watch and provides some big hints for what's to come in the Marvel Universe. But as the first Avengers movie to be released after Endgame, it was pretty boring in comparison. I think it would've been more popular if it had been released at another point in the Marvel timeline.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rocketman (2019)
Not as well done as Bohemian Rhapsody
13 July 2019
At baseline, I have not had much exposure to Sir Elton John's music or any knowledge of his life prior to fame and fortune. However, I am a sucker for an insider peek into celebrity life, so I thought I would enjoy this movie. The acting and singing is superb. The writing could have been better, at time it seemed very cliche. But Taron Egerton did a wonderful job bringing Sir Elton John's biography to life. It seems that despite the fame, fortune, and talent, that all he was seeking was to be loved. I left the theatre with an understanding that all humans, regardless of background or social standing, share a core set of desires.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Late Night (2019)
Too much of a political comedy
9 July 2019
I love Mindy Kaling. She was a hit character on the office, and her show the Mindy Project blasted her into comedic infamy. I had high expectations for this film, given that she wrote and starred in it. But I found that the politics of the movie outweighed the humor. The film was well done, in that it portrays the importance of minority and women's rights in a light hearted way, but I was not expecting it to be so heavily aimed at the audience. Overall I enjoyed the film, but I wish there was more humor interviewed with the political message.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aladdin (2019)
Lives up to the hype!
9 July 2019
Aladdin provides its audience with an array of entertainment; the movie has comedy, action, romance, and adventure. The use of thematic light and music to portray emotions throughout the film really transformed Aladdin from a traditionally juvenile film into one that an adult could enjoy. However, my favorite thing about the movie was the use of an all ethnic cast. Growing up, Jasmine has always been my favorite princess, and it was awesome to see her come to live through a strong and beautiful actress like Naomi Scott. I'm sure she will go on to inspire a whole new generation of young girls.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly entertaining
27 June 2019
I usually find Adam Sandler's sense of humor crass and aggressive, and as a result tend to stay away from movies featuring him. I was hesitant to select this movie during my perusing, but Netflix productions tend to be very engaging so I was willing to give it a try!

This movie was hilarious and a great way to spend a few hours relaxing. If you are looking for a movie that is intriguing, fun, and all around hilarious then this is for you! The film features good acting, funny jokes, forbidden romance, and best of all a murder mystery. It is like Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" with a comedic twist. This is definitely a must see.
Bringing Pokémon into the future
27 June 2019
I grew up watching Pokémon on Cartoon Network and trading Pokémon cards with my friends on the playground. When this movie was announced, I was ecstatic for the chance to relive part of my childhood on the big screen.

This movie was fun, entertaining, and even had a moderately interesting plot. It does not feature Ash and our other Pokémon friends, but instead brings us a new narrative about Pokémon. My favorite part about the film, however, was the CGI depiction of the breeds of Pokémon and the personalities each were given. I was anticipating that it would be difficult to bring these creatures to life when the audience is so used to a cartoon depiction. But it did not disappoint!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Way better than the original
27 June 2019
In my experience as a movie watcher, it is very difficult for a sequel to overshadow take the place of the original movie in my heart. However, The Secret Life of Pets 2 has done just that!

I found this movie to be more engaging and relatable than the original. The distinct personality traits of the individual creatures come across throughout the film, and I frequently found myself thinking "wow that is so accurate, my cat acts just like that!"

As a full grown woman, I enjoyed this film much more than I ought to have!!
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark Phoenix (2019)
An okay way to end a series
27 June 2019
I have grown to love Sophie Turner from her role in Game of Thrones, so when I saw she was going to be the lead of the X-men finale I was excited. This movie was produced well and with a cast that was interesting to watch on screen. But overall, I do not feel it did the X-men series justice as the final installation. Some of the choices made for the direction of the plot deviated from the personalities of the characters we have come to know.