Okay okay, many people cheered on FF6 as the best SFAM game ever. Personally, it's okay, but not the best. Here is why I think that:
1. Cefca was an interesting villain, but the staff whom made this game gave him VERY LITTLE background, reducing him to a one-dimetional henchman of Emperor Gastrah. Come on guys, give Cefca an INTERESTING BACKSTORY.
2. Too many characters, so little time. Even though "Rudra's Treasure" (aka. Rudra no Hihou, much better Super Famicom RPG, in my own opinion) had a lot of characters, but at least they separated each four main characters' scenarios, so they could get full characterization, makign you feel like you were playing a game-within-a-game! FF6 however, flops on characterization. Tina is the insecure heroine whining about how she should love, Lock is a tough boy treasure hunter with a soft spot, Edgar is a flirt, Mash is a macho-wannabe, Cayeene is just a man who lost his family and wants revenge (he whines about this thoughout the whole entire game!), Shadow is a cold hearted loner, Celes is such a whiner, Mog is your happy-go-lucky Mogri, Gau is your run of the mill wild boy, Stragus is a fuss bucket and Relm is such a little snob. Don't get me started with Umaro or Gogo (besides, Gogo was way better in FF5). Only decent hero was Setser, the gambler.
3. This game does not want to make up it's mind on a genre. Seems like many genres, leaving it rather cluttered up here. Besides, why is the FF series riping off "Star Wars" and "Star Trek" series?
Here are some good points:
1. Fun gameplay.
2. Excellent soundtrack.
3. Story has it's strongpoints. The Phantom Beasts and Deity suplot was interesting. Wish they focused on that than *gag me* the opera scene.
4. Cefca was pretty optimistic foe who works hard and "somewhats" suceeds in his duties.
5. Yoshitaka Amano is talented like usual.
OVERALL: FF6 is decent (MUCH BETTER than FF8, FF9, FF10, FF11 and so on and so forth) entry in the FF series, but however, does not live up to hype.
RATING: two kisses out of five. (AVERAGE/TOLERABLE)
3 out of 10 found this helpful.
Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.