This show rips off, among other things, everything from `Dark Shadows' to `Psycho.' It makes fun of `Dark Shadows' which was a truly excellent serial and makes extreme fun of `Psycho' which should have Hitchcock fans in an uproar! However I'm sure that Hitchcock fans probably have too high an IQ for this show. I certainly do.
Now for the acting. If I'm supposed to find half the stuff in this show funny than what can I say? It's not! This show is what you get when you mix washed-up soap stars with young actors with no talent. Some of them would have talent if they quit this show and went back to acting school. And as for the washed-up soap stars it's time to retire! Nobody finds you interesting anymore!
The next `constructive' criticism is for the writers. Why do you make this show so SLOW? This is probably the only show on TV that can turn a day into a month. And that isn't a complement either! Having a slow show just adds to the complete boredom of the whole thing! The next criticism for the writers is why do you treat the audience like it's three? Some parts of this show are so bad (wait, the whole show's bad!) that you wonder why they don't play it on Saturday Mornings instead of weekday afternoons! And no offense to the undemanding audience that likes this stuff but the writers treat you like garbage! They don't want you to sit back and be amazed by what you see! Absolutely not!
And finally, the fact that they cancel a halfway decent show called `Another World' and put this on its place is rather incredible. But what's even more incredible is that this show has stayed on the air. This shows you how absolutely degrading the afternoon TV audience in America has become. My advice is to avoid this show. 0out of****I mean, you are intelligent, aren't you?
1) From United Entertainment/VCI, the VERY small 1988 distributor in Oklahoma, who gave us the legendary home video, no budget hit BLOOD LAKE, which IMDb doesn't even have in its database and that doesn't surprise me. That one had the same no-budget atmosphere and completely unknown teen actors that, like in this film, only starred in one film.
2) No budget doesn't necessarily mean no film. BLOOD LAKE was actually pretty good. But in this one, oh my God, it was just awful.
3) The dialogue. Is this really the way people are in Oklahoma? I sincerely hope not. Sample dialogue: `I'm loaded and I feel like throwing up, could you please pass the Jack Daniels?' `There's a party tonight at my house, would you mind if I invite myself?' `I THINK he's schizophrenic, why don't we give him a partial lobotomy?' And the science teacher that looked exactly like one of the science teachers that I had in high school. And he started talking about how he got laid at the prom. Oh my God.
4) The killer knows where the doctor's house is, that's strange, but also in one hilarious scene he attacks the doctor but it looked like he pulled the doctor on top of him in a sort of sexual position. Anyone that has been unfortunate enough to see this film knows that that's what it looked like. Aren't I right?
5) The deaths aren't original. PLEASE SOMEBODY INVOLVED IN THE MAKING OF THIS AWFUL FILM TELL ME WHY THE KILLER HAD TO KEEP HOLDING THAT KNIFE UP TO THE CAMERA?
6) The blood looked fake.
7) The acting is bad.
8) The writing is bad.
9) And just about everything else is crew wise is awful.
10) Really, I'd prefer it if I didn't have to continue. If you don't get the point by now, you never will.
Honestly, I just wasted 90 minutes of my life watching this film; I don't want to waste 19 more telling you about it. Absolutely, sheer stupidity. One of the worst pieces of inane, illegitimate, pitiful pieces of trash ever made. The IQ of the makers of this film truly must have been BELOW zero. Reportedly made in Alabama though I can't believe their budget got them out of Oklahoma. God, that was awful!
As for the movie, Jeffrey Combs gives yet another good performance as John Reilly. Barbara Crampton, from nearby Levittown, gives yet another good performance. And newcomer Jessica Dollarhide is also very good. This is a very good Full Moon picture that is freaky and enjoyable with great special effects. You definitely need to see the unrated version like I did to get the full aspect of what Stuart Gordon was trying to show you. This picture comes at a time when Full Moon was adjusting to a new distribution system. The Paramount/Full Moon distribution venture was now officially over (you can notice this especially when you don't see any coming attractions for Full Moon films in the coming attractions portion of the Videozone.) All in all, CASTLE FREAK gets a definite recommendation from me. ***out of****I enjoyed it, although you have to realize that in the end, it's just another slasher film. The locally scenery is great, the acting is fine, and best of all, the gore factor is number one. As always, get the unrated version over the R-rated one any day. Review based on unrated video version.