Reviews

Retroactive (1997)
outstanding
21 September 2019
This is a good time travel premise. Think Source Code in the desert. A lady stumbles upon a robbery/murder and gets several chances to change it due to discovering a scientist and his time machine. A family on vacation also happens to drive by, and they get tangled up in the mess. Violence notwithstanding, I liked it and recommend it. Jim Belushi's performance is first class. I liked the premise, and the limited setting adds to it.

good sports movie
20 September 2019
This was a decent feel good sports movie based on a true story. A struggling sports agent travels to India to check out cricket bowlers in order to convert them into baseball pitchers. The two "winners" are taken back to the States and baseball spring training camps. Imevitable culture clashes, misunderstandings, and hilarity ensues. I loved the scenes in India, the "tryout" scenes, and where the scout stumps the guy in India with a basic baseball question. This is a good family sports movie that will satisfy anyone. I enjoyed it. *** out of ****
excellent
28 August 2019
Imagine Good Will Hunting and Rain Man meet Jason Bourne and other action heroes. Ben Affleck is a savant accountant who learns of a conspiracy and has to take matters into his own hands with help from a gorgeous coworker. Another lady is bribed into tracking his every move. It's a not-bad action and drama movie that will keep you hooked and a must-see.

not bad
9 July 2019
This wasn't too bad a film, as it focuses on duel storylines of two couples' romances, and one younger couple meeting the older male half in a car accident. I liked the conflicts in both stories, especially the ones in the younger couple, and the bullriding scenes. If you like romance, this is a decent movie for you.

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually superb and well done
29 June 2019
This movie is filled with great special & visual effects and lots of pop culture references-with a good story and ending and humor and action scenes to boot. I liked the story as the creator of a virtual reality world called the OASIS dies and invites everyone to participate in a contest to find an Easter egg. Everyone is addicted to the world anyway so they agree. Lots of fun ensues as Tye Sheridan's character relentlessly pursues it.

The cast is great as it alternates between the real and virtual worlds. Try to catch all the pop culture references!

*** out of ****
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Groundhog Day meets Scream
24 June 2019
A college sorority girl is murdered on her birthday and then gets caught in a time loop, which she spends trying to figure out how to improve herself and who did it. A clever concept. I loved the loop scenes and the references to movies like Groundhog Day and They Live. I also loved the sticker, "Today is the first day of the rest of your life." There were enough shocks and humor scenes to satisfy anyone. Jessica Rothe was great in the lead.

Game Night (I) (2018)
decent
23 June 2019
This is one of those movies where things aren't where as they appear. A guy gets kidnapped in what is supposed to be a game and hilarious situations and mysteries ensue. I think the situations involving the bad guys were hilarious, as were the chase scenes and the scene with Jason Bateman and the dog. The cop character was great too. The cast clicks perfectly. The setup was executed well, too. Bateman and McAdams were perfect in the leads.

Megamind (2010)
Great movie
12 May 2019
How a good animated superhero movie should be made:excellent animation, superb voice cast,good story and characters, it shows how the characters came to be who they are, and good humor. Megamin finally defeats Metro Man, only to learn that his life now has no purpose, so he has to create a new superhero, with disastrous consequences. I loved Will Ferrell as the title character. Everything about this movie was great!

Aquaman (2018)
good superhero film
5 May 2019
As far as superhero movies go, this wasn't too bad. The cinematography was the main highlight, especially the underwater and battle scenes. I like the way they told Arthur Curry/Aquaman's background story. The scenes with his father, brother, and mentor were all first rate. The lead actor was a tad bit wooden in his part and it was cliche ridden, but other than that it was a good movie. I loved the scene in the bar and the aquarium scene!

** 1/2 out of ****
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Godzilla (2014)
outstanding
5 May 2019
I liked this one better than the 1998 version with Matthew Broderick, simply because it reverts to making Godzilla the "good guy" monster again and shows him battling the "bad guy" monsters in the vein of the classic Godzilla films. You might prefer the originals because the cheesy special effects were what made them fun (or because of nostalgia), but this was a good entry in the series. It starts off with a scientist having to shut the door to cut off a nuclear cloud at the expense of his family while investigating some strange "goings-on" in the Philipines. 15 years later, his son is in the Navy with a family of his own, and is called to Japan because his father has been arrested, and monsters are being investigated. Of course one of them is Godzilla. Nuclear explosions are to blame, they reach San Fransisco, and epic battles ensue as our hero's family is in danger.

I think the monsters' battle scenes are a main highlight, and the vast majority of this film was well done. It could have used some character development, though. I still liked it a lot. You will love it!

Don't Breathe (2016)
Decent
5 May 2019
This is one of those movies that works well with a limited cast and setting, as a team of teenaged thieves break into a blind man's house to steal his substantial fortune. Problem is, he is not as helpless as he seems, nor is anything else about his house, and they wind up in a horrendous situation. A decent story with good suspense and characters, this movie is well done with a good villain and ending.

A classic in the making
28 April 2019
Any fan, new or old, of the Peanuts gang will love this movie. Who can't relate to Charlie Brown and Snoopy? The movie focuses mostly on Charlie Brown as he fumbles through his "born loser" status and does his best to impress the Little Red Haired Girl when she moves in. Snoopy also has a similar storyline. This is well worth watching to catch Lucy, Linus, Schroeder, and all year favorite characters!

1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
good
14 April 2019
This was a good movie-well performed and executed. Mel Gibson and Julia Roberts were both good in the leads, and Patrick Stewart was terrific as the "villain." Gibson was good as a brainwashed cabbie who spewed out conspiracy theories (he was told to ad lib them!) to passengers, and it turns out there was more to it than meets the eye, and speaking of which he has an eye out for his neighbor Roberts. This has good drama, romance, and chase scenes-an interesting combination and good results and a pretty good ending.

** 1/2 out of ****
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Selena (1997)
great biopic
14 April 2019
This was a good movie from start to finish, starting from Selena's childhood to her murder by her fan club president. The cast portrays everyone and everything perfectly, and Jennifer Lopez was especially terrific in the lead. She did all the songs and performances well. Everyone interacted well. The stage performances were terrific. Edward James Olmos was also marvelous as the father. I loved the clips of the real Selena at the end. If you want to see a movie about a Tejano legend whose life was tragically cut short-this is for you!

Good episode
6 April 2019
This episode provides a decent example of how the cursed objects worked, as they try to track down a radio a female psychiatrist is using to help her in her research and to win prizes. The creepy atmosphere in the psychiatric ward helps and is a big plus, as is the antagonist's rivalry with the other doctor. The radio broadcasts messages to aid her and can be used against her;the final showdown is a little tense, and the final scene uses some humor. This, Tattoo, and Scarlet Cinema provide good examples of the show.

Analyze That (2002)
Less good
6 April 2019
Sequels rarely live up to the original, and this is no exception. It has its moments, as well as some laughs, but the original was better and funnier. I sort of liked it, but as I said... You might like it if you liked the original. ** out of ****
Analyze This (1999)
Great comic movie
6 April 2019
This movie 🎥 was a great comedy with good chemistry with the cast, especially the leads. Billy Crystal plays a psychiatrist with several problems:he is divorced with a meddling teenage son, he is about to get remarried, and his main patient is an insecure mob boss! It's not City Slickers, but it does make for a constantly funny 😄 movie from start to finish. The scenes between Crystal and Robert DeNiro are classic.

Decent romantic comedy
4 April 2019
A couple gets set up by mutual friends on a blind date that turns into a disaster. They can't stand each other. A few years later, they become guardians to the friends' baby when the friends are killed in a car accident. They somehow manage to live together. It's not too bad a movie with a cast that works well together, especially the leads, with an ok story that could have been executed better.

** out of ****
Up in the Air (I) (2009)
Good movie
10 February 2019
This was a good movie about an executive who lives a nomadic life style via airplanes. He finally finds a good companion in Anna Kendrick. Clooney finds more to life than flying, his job, and firing people. This movie 🎥 is good at characters, story, and is well acted and makes you think 🤔 about things that are important in life. Clooney was exceptional. Great cast too.

brilliant
2 February 2019
I loved this movie! It features a good continuity in the storyline as Captain America (with a brilliant performance by Chris Evans) battles a new enemy with a character from his past. My favorite scenes were the battle scenes, the chase scenes, and the elevator scene. This movie does not disappoint, and the interactions between the main characters are first rate. A must for any superhero or Marvel Comic movie fan.

good movie
28 January 2019
This has the ingredients for a good movie-good characters, good performances, and a good cast. I liked Matthew McConaughey and Trace Adkins' performances in this movie and the legal viewpoints. I liked the main character working out of a car and all the courtroom settings and the guy who played his chaffeur. Overall, this is a good drama with everything you'd need for a legal movie.
Average
10 January 2019
This movie was heavy on action and thin on plot, but I liked what plot there was, the action scenes the interaction among the characters, and the introduction of Spiderman to the ensemble. This was a good entry to the Marvel Comics movie universe. I think the special effects were good, and I loved Stan Lee's cameo.

**1/2 out of ****
Pretty good
22 December 2018
This an ok entry/prequel in the Tremors movie series. It will sort of remind you of Back to the Future Part III. I liked Michael Gross's seemingly mandatory appearance in the film, and I liked his and Billy Drago's characters, and when they changed the name of the town at the end. The worm monsters were great as always, and the old west setting was a plus. See it if you liked the other Tremors movies.

Average
21 December 2018
This wasn't nearly as good as the first two Tremors movies. You might enjoy it if your expectations aren't too high. The main focus is on the huge worms and Michael Gross's character. A weak entry in a classic series.

** out of ****
Decent sequel
17 December 2018
As with most sequels, this doesn't quite measure up to the original, but it's still pretty good and fun to watch with most of the original cast returning sans Kevin Bacon. If he had been back, it could have been better. New monsters with new powers-infrared vision. Watch it if you liked the original. It has good humor and chases.