Reviews

Genius View of Love, Death, Parting and Sorrow
18 April 2018
Maurice Sendak loved his little dog Jennie but she did not love him. Just before her death Sendak began a picture book about Jennie's attitude towards him and life and what happened to her following her death. This short film is a work of quality that even more than the book evokes a sense of the tragedy that that is the relationship between long - lived man and short - lived dog. Anyone who comes upon the film without not being aware of the source material might not understand what is shown until the conclusion. That's one of its virtues. The beauty of the visuals is unsurpassed in film . This is true even tho some of the characters are grotesque in the style of Tenniel's art for Alice in Wonderland. The viewer's reaction to this stop motion puppet masterpiece may well depend on how he feels about animals. For me it's crushingly sad. A must see for anyone interested in dog/pet stories.
Overgang (2013)
wrong headed
16 November 2017
Spoilers : border collie is ill as shown by limp, daughter chooses to shoot dog rather than have father do it... stands " bravely " in front of pet as father raises his rifle...that's it...the worst type of cinema is killing an animal just to get viewer attention...anyway I bet the dog would have wanted to stay alive...did not look that ill to me
Nemesis Game (2003)
Great, Highly Memorable
16 May 2008
Set mostly in the back streets of Toronto NG is a dark , mysterious journey that takes the viewer into the minds of a young man and woman ( Vern and Sarah ) , each of whom has a fascination with riddles and a disastrous incident in their past . Fine dialogue and first-rate casting propel this low key, noirish journey into the girl's search for the meaning behind the word puzzles that keep appearing in her life. Aided by her , anything but enthusiastic, male friend, the two of them reach the end of their quest , but with a price to be paid. The film never intends to answer all of its mysteries , but does an excellent job in the exposition of several plot twists
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cold Lazarus (1996– )
Rot
24 May 2007
First I'll write that Karoake is great, this follow-up is crap. The dialogue, characters, casting sets and plot all stink. Worse it makes a muddle of Karoake , which seemed to be an outstanding story on the nature of reality....how was Feeld affecting "real world" events ? Cold Lazarus never answers this and dwells on societal control of substitutes for things such as cigarettes and coffee ( tho never touching on why this should be important to the "ruling powers") ..crap. CL never explains how Feeld affected reality in Karoake, but throws in his twin brother's history in some meaningless way that does not settle the questions raised by Karoake at all.Cheap claptrap. What did Feeld say at the end ?
3 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Animal lover`s horror movie
23 January 2004
There are two dogs in this film, the enemy kills both of them with the adults showing zero concern. The canines are the only points of interest. Better to have dropped the war and kept the doggies. Rates a 2/10 unless you`re a devotee of animal films then a 6/10.
2 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Terror Romance
14 August 2003
Dark Korean film with undercurrents that pull you in. Frequently stylish,if disjointed, who done it that seems a bit Argentoesque but has better performances, sequences that feature classical music enhance the beauty is the beast? mood. 8/10
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sentinelles (2000)
memorable, beautiful
7 July 2002
Two art deco style eagles, ornamentation on a large office building, briefly come to life and the devotion of one to the other is the subject of this animation. Subtle shades of gray and yellow enhance the mood of this splendid animation.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Operation Sandman (2000 TV Movie)
Dull
5 July 2002
I watched most of this film only due the presence of Mary Ward who plays a waifish psych doc in this tedious excuse for a sci-fi mystery thriller. Not a moment of "action" nor a line of dialogue is of the slightest interest in this loser. The acting is painful to endure. TV (not even TV movie) quality production. 2/10
1 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My Dog Skip (2000)
Love `em and leave `em
31 March 2002
There is not anyone who cares about animals more than do I. I have mixed feelings about My Dog Skip. The first 3/4 of the film is rather dull although Kevin Bacon is fine in his role as an unhappy disabled father. The last twenty-five minutes are pure gold BUT the boy/young man leaves his dog for three years to go abroad to school (the film does not make clear if he returned for visits) and Skip died (and no doubt spent these years mournng his departed friend) while the young man was away. And this film is about loyalty? I would not leave my dogs for any length of time for any reason.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just Like Dad (1995 TV Movie)
Memorable
7 January 2002
Wallace Shawn , best known for his role in My Dinner With Andre, is memorable as a good hearted , but meek, father of a son who feels pressured by circumstances to the point of pretending that another man is his father. Film`s action hero finale is not all that terrific.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wishmaster (1997)
Vastly Underappreciated
23 December 2001
The lead (Lauren) comes over as a likeable heroine unlike other roles she has had in her career. The bad guy is menacing yet witty. He enjoys his work and I enjoyed the film. Fun but definately not a comedy.Reminds me of Warlock for mood. The sequel is good but not as good as this.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Prancer (1989)
Nice Film
16 December 2001
The film works quite well to show how animals are better than people. It`s up to a little girl to rescue an injured reindeer and bring out the good in her nasty father (Elliot). The elements of fantasy are held as only a possibility until the end. Not outstanding but should be seen by those interested in animal films 8/10 for animal lovers.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Modern Classic
5 December 2001
When I saw the listing for this film I imagined that it would be another network fantasy movie crap fest. The casting of Sara and Modine caused me to tape it and give it a look. As expected the fantasy land odd folk are bland, rather it is the "real world" segments that are magical (and literate). Sara (as fantasy land emissary) and Modine are perfect together.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dead Awake (2001)
Canadian Movie
5 December 2001
Uninteresting characters, rambling story. Not satisfactory as a drama/thriller/comedy. The kind of film that is watchable , but when it is over you feel that it was a let down. Needed some more work to be enjoyable.
4 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Saves the trouble of learning German or Russian
16 August 2001
OK, so she`s not on screen every single second. The film had only been available in Germany and Russia before now. People have been known to learn German just so as to be able to enjoy TC III This release must be way easier to understand; that alone rates a ten right off. Does anyone have CR competition video?
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this