Reviews

Lacking Originality, Wit, and Soul
16 November 2014
This movie really felt empty. And yet it had lots of potential. With special effects being so amazing these days, you would think that a film like TMNT could finally be made effectively. Oh well, we were wrong... Because apparently they forgot what makes Ninja Turtles great: fun. Oh yeah, and an interesting story with interesting characters.

This film was presented to us as if we already knew the TMNT storyline. It's a lazily done remake, although the sound and special effects were incredible. The sole reason I am giving this a 4/10 is due to the extremely good work done on bringing the turtles to life. However, as good as the special effects are, they cannot revive a dead script to life.

With so much incredible TMNT canon & material to draw from, it's exceptionally surprising that this film couldn't seem to present us with an amazing story. The introduction to the story was bad and seemed as if it was thrown in rather than thought out. The main villain (Shredder) seemed like an afterthought. Splinter didn't resonate with me like he did in the original comics, movies, and cartoon series. The turtles themselves were OK, but lacked something simply due to the story. I didn't mind Megan Fox (who played April O'Neil) but her character was a bit blahsee... to her credit she didn't have much to work with, so we cannot fault her on bad acting. Same with Will Arnett. He's the right guy for the role, and a great actor, but he's given so little to work with. I don't even know what Whoopi Goldberg was doing in this film.

There was so much potential here, from the actors to the ability to create amazing effects. I just wonder why they didn't select a good script/story? Why did this get overlooked so badly? Sadly, the film from the 90s overshadows this one still as the best TMNT screen adaptation. While the 90s movie certainly is far from perfection, it at least has a certain amount of charm and watchability. The story is at least coherent and interesting to a degree. This one is not.

Yeah, I found this movie incredibly boring and lacking a certain charm I had been expecting. The film takes itself way too seriously on one hand and much of the conflict seems fabricated. I'll admit that the film tries a little at being funny in certain places, but often the humor falls flat and forced.

4/10 stars (for the special effects)
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bland Series
27 December 2010
I found this series quite lacking in anything interesting. Don't get me wrong, I can see why some people enjoy it. It's a sci-fi, it takes place in space, it's Star Trek. I am a pretty big fan of The Next Generation and find some of the movies quite enjoyable. I never thought Star Trek truly lived up to its true potential in all of its incarnations, and Deep Space Nine epitomizes the reason why so many find Star Trek tough to latch onto.

Bland characters: The acting throughout the whole series has ups and downs. Some characters have their shining moments, but all in all, there is too much drabness. Too many convoluted and unrealistic actions and reactions. The main characters didn't really grow on me, as I hoped they would. The guest characters per each episode were so contrived and their motivations so cardboard. I guess I could see how these types of characters would appeal to a younger viewing audience (teenage males) but I personally believe more socially adept individuals would find the relationships between characters in this series a bit contrived. The biggest stand-out in bad acting would be the relationship between Odo & Kira: it felt like two actors pretending to be in love, but hating the idea of it. It was weak acting. The actors didn't pull off what they should have, and you could tell the scriptwriters just needed to spice things up... so they wrote it in. Not great. Weak.

Bland set: The set really got on my nerves. The endless monotonous brownish palette. The panning scenes where characters talk amongst the backgrounds of people walking by in their brown/clay-colored bodysuits. It's a very stale environment, a bit boring, and perhaps that is realistic... but it makes for lackluster visuals.

Bland Story, themes, action: Just like the uninteresting characters who fill this universe, the stories, situations, etc., all feel contrived and done to death. I felt beat over the head with the Bajoran-Cardassian thing. We get it. Lots of talk of wars, but it's just that... talk. When "war scenes" happen in DS9, they don't impress visually. Action scenes tend to be lackluster. The religions, prophets, cults, "magic," were all done rather unimaginatively. In all, the themes, story, and action seemed drawn out in a series that one craved such elements.

I think that DS9 must have had a very small budget, and it shows. Although I enjoyed a few episodes here and there, I often found my attention drifting and finally getting bored enough of the episode to turn it off. Other times I would watch them in halves, as I could only take so much DS9 at a time.

I really feel like DS9 tried, but failed, at creating an interesting sci-fi TV show. It's just a drama, but with weak acting and dull writing. There's a reason those who are not hard-core fans do not watch this show: it's just not interesting...
16 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Interesting Movie
10 October 2010
I have to say I enjoyed this rather unconventional movie, even if it took a while to get going. It features many people living in Israel and how their lives intertwine with one another. They are all going through harsh times, almost as if experiencing a living hell. It depicts a country where people are corrupt, society is breaking down, and even good people end up doing terrible things... things which their enemies have been doing. It's as if the film portrays Israel as a society suffering and rotting from the inside, but also affected negatively by external politics. Several scenes whisk by crying people. Looks of pain on people's faces. Strange selfish behavior is carried out by many characters in the film...

The 'hellish' existence becomes even more apparent during the film's ending, which I must say served for an excellent climax. It's interesting how the film starts with such a happy, festive scene, which really contrasts with the ending with a society on edge, and then finally, a giant breakdown.

So.. I would recommend this movie. If you get through the first 30 minutes, the rest of the movie is quite enjoyable.

Anyhow. Here's the breakdown:

Acting: 10/10 Story: 7/10 Direction: 8/10 Technical aspects such as light & sound: 9/10
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Poor
12 September 2010
Alright. First of all, there is no point debating whether the film is a hoax or not. Firstly, the people in the supposedly "real" footage are actors... who have been in films. You can find it out on IMDb. The "real" Charlotte Milchard is an actress from the UK:

Plus, the people in Nome Alaska were angry that the film attributed the missing persons (who probably died from the rugged, harsh, cold terrain if anything) to UFOs and aliens. And the Alaska Press club successfully hired an attorney to make Universal pay a settlement of $20,000 for the fake news stories. Simply go to Google to confirm this.

If this story were real, it wouldn't have been released in a film, it would have been all over the news and possibly be a bigger story than Roswell... or even 9/11. It would be all over the place. But I hadn't heard a thing about it, other than an interview on Coast to Coast AM where a UFO investigator was shooting down the film for claiming it was "real" and making the actual people in UFOlogy look bad, and giving lesser credibility to real, actual stories. Shame on the producers of this movie.

As for the footage you think you saw, you probably mistook it for something else. Go get the DVD and watch the "original" scenes. Apparently, you can hear someone yell "action" in the supposedly real footage just before the man shoots his entire family.

Personally, I think the movie was a bit of a failure, unless the person viewing it actually believe it to be real. It felt a little bit like they had no budget, so they only had enough money to hire a couple of good actors, throw them into a poorly scripted movie (with an unconvincing actor as the police detective...) Some overhead shots of a city in Alaska, and wham, you have a film...

The only positive thing I can say about this film is one major highlight: indie film-making getting big... the film-makers got away with making some good cash with little budget, interesting but poorly executed marketing plan, they could afford decent actors (like Milla Jovovich and the guy who played the male psychiatrist)... I did like how you never get to see the aliens. But what's up with the scene aboard the alien spacecraft with the drills about to drill into Milla if they're not gonna show anything? Scriptwise, story-wise, it was unoriginal and uninteresting. The main problem was the slow pace of the film, lack of anything interesting that I haven't seen before in an X-files episode... And why do the aliens use Sumerian? Can't they take English lessons if they're smart enough to fly across the universe? And the biggest flaw of all? The poorly executed "realism" of the film which I could instantly tell was not "real"... all the scenes purportedly shot in 2000 had fake digital interference which can easily be done in computer video-editing programs like Vegas.

Overall, not impressed. 3/10
28 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Meh.
9 January 2010
I have to say I was a little bit confused as to why this is supposed to be a good movie. Am I missing something? I thought the movie lacked an interesting story, interesting moments, good characters, well-written dialogue, and just didn't do it for me.

Yes, the visuals were OK, but nothing that truly stunned me. Nothing that makes me go "wow." In fact, I don't think I'd recommend this movie to anyone... maybe Terry Gilliam's hardcore fans... however, I thought I was such a fan. Maybe not, after all. I love his other movies, but I give this one an "almost failing grade" and admit if it wasn't done by Gilliam himself, I could even give it a score as low as 4 or 5. But my bias, and love, for Gilliam, makes me give this one a 6.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Avatar (2009)
Solid Hit
20 December 2009
Well, I'm going to have to give this movie a full rating because it really lived up to my expectations.

We have here a science-fiction epic set on an alien world. It's a classic story of a "good-guy" hero who must overcome a battle within himself to do what is right.

Although the movie doesn't exactly have the biggest twists, turns, or surprises, it simply sets out to do what movies like "Star Wars" (the ones in the 70s, and 80s, that is) did... to stun us a little with the latest in special FX, give us a classic "Romanesque" story, and enchant us with a very creative world. This movie did what it set out to do, perfectly... and maybe even a little better than perfect.

The world is so detailed, and rich. Every animal looks as if it is real... and everything just matches and seems convincing. The "humanoid" race that inhabits this world is very interesting, and the way the world works "together" is amazing. This may be one of the few sci-fi adventure movies where the computer animation actually works in favor of the storyline. Animals and beings do not look like animations. This realism, this pushing of the limits, is what science fiction is all about.

But you obviously cannot have just a beautiful movie without no storyline or character to back it up. There is a lot of character in this movie. All of our human characters, the alien race, and the avatars all equally have great character. And the storyline, although nothing extraordinarily original, is chiseled from "classic" storytelling. Good versus evil... doing what is right... all spun neatly together.

What a wonderful escape this was! It was dazzling, and even got me thinking a little about what life is really out there on the various billions of stars that make up our galaxy, and the other billions of galaxies out there.

And that's what movies like this should do.
39 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Universe (2007– )
Too Sensationalist and Dumbed Down
8 September 2009
This program must have been made for the Joe Bloe uneducated TV viewer. Most of the time, the information being presented is not new or interesting, and it feels as if the writers & producers of the show had to fill up a large time slot with very little source material. So what you get is a bunch of information repetitively going on and on about how "dangerous" gamma ray bursts are, or how imminent asteroid collisions are, blah blah blah. Yes, we all know about these things, but the way the program makes you sit through an hour meagerly trying to make you sit on the edge of your seat for a statistic of like 1 in a billion billion (as seen with the gamma ray bursts) that the Earth will be destroyed by some calamity. Yes, we know already! They could have been done with it in 5 minutes, but no, it's stretched to an hour long program! The sensationalism of this program is just too over-the-top, from the drawn-out "fear factor" bits, to the announcer's XTREME TRUCKS style voice. They obviously should have saved him for the Monster Truck series...

Another thing that bothered me were all the "analogies" that took away from the true dynamics of how certain things in the universe work. For example, dropping a Yogurt container to show how a death star works... or a sprinkler for showing how a spiral star is. While these are "cute" they are indeed more annoying than useful, and assumes a real lack of intelligence of the viewer. Just tell us the science behind it without treating us like 5 year olds.

It really is a shame. This program could have been so much more informative and hosted by a much better narrator (writers are to blame too, of course). There are indeed moments where I laughed out loud because of how dumb the narrator's comments were.

On the bright side, however, the computer effects were done well enough. It is an interesting subject, so that's why I gave it a 5. But all in all, terribly done for such a great topic.
47 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
North Face (2008)
Excellent, Epic, Tragic... Brilliant.
6 October 2008
The reaction this film got at the Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF) in Pusan, South Korea, was better than any of the other big movies there.

This movie gets a 10 out of 10 from me. It is a harsh story about Germany in the 30s as the Nazis were rising and wishing to prove to the world that they were the best. The tale is about two German men who take on a very difficult climb. The story is quite riveting, and human. Full of laughs, tragedy, and ... a little bit of a love story.

Although the movie starts a little slowly, it really picks up about one third the way in. The main characters (the two mountain climbers and the one female love interest) are all solid actors, well directed, and well casted. The director did a great job at capturing the climb. Everything was so convincingly shot, it makes you wonder if they actually filmed some of it on a real mountain. I suppose they must have used CGI, but it was used so sparingly and realistically that it must be commended. The contrast between the plight of the mountain climbers and that of the rich bystanders makes the movie so much more emotionally riveting. Some people in the audience cried.

This is a tragedy that must be seen. It captures humanity at its best and worst... and shows us that sometimes nature rules our lives, and that it is not forgiving.

Overall, I felt this movie was a small masterpiece. One that will probably not be seen by many. But for those who do, you will get a very special treat...

It was especially amazing to know that you, as the viewer, had more than a telescope to watch this climb with... unlike the bystanders in the movie, we were able to see more than just the ascent and the final moment. We saw the part that mattered the most: the climb.

10/10.. Solid
92 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
10,000 BC (2008)
Bad
13 August 2008
Why is this movie so bad? Let's see...

• WEAK NARRATION: You don't put in narration if it is not absolutely needed. Anyhow, an English accented narrator tells us what is happening, to "move the story forward." This jerks us out of the fantasy setting back into reality, wondering who this narrator is and why does he have an English accent?) - SOPHISTICATED English ACCENTS IN A PRE-HISTORICAL WORLD: it seems like they tried to give them English accents. Hmmmm, cave men using sophisticated English accents. That is just... wrong on so many levels. Where is their tea and biscuits? Didn't the producers realize that it is absolutely ridiculous to have cavemen with spears and dressed in face-paint, dirt, carrying spears, speaking in English accents? It would have been better to develop a language for them and use subtitles. But the director doesn't have much faith in the intelligence of the audience.

• BAD CASTING: multicultural looking people in the same tribe??? For example, at 8:16 into the movie, what is up with the black kid being from the same tribe as the white guy??? Also, why do they all look like Calvin Klein models with lots of dirt on them? - ROMANTIC THREAD LACKS ANYTHING INTERESTING: The romance between the main character and his lover is so by-the-book lacking any complexity or interest... It's even worse than the love story in the news Star Wars movies. And that is tough to beat.

• MOTIVATION & CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT & DIALOGUE: No real surprises in the motives of characters... you can almost predict every scene before it happens. The dialogue is so forced and unrealistic. Thus, the characters would not develop and their names, faces, and everything is lost.

Absolutely not entertaining. A sad mess of a movie. And will that narrator shut up!?
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
RoboCop (1987)
Very Intelligent Action Flick
9 December 2004
Truly science fiction action-film at its perfection. Director Paul Verhoven (of Total Recall) paints a distopic view of future Detroit, a crime-ridden city where cops are threatening to go on strike. A large corporation that practically runs the United States Military comes out with a new machine: Robocop.

This film explores the hauntingly Frankenstein-esque life of a man who has died and been transformed into a machine, or rather, super-human. The film asks questions, like what does it mean to be human? We explore the human side of robocop, as he uncovers his mysterious past. He finally gets to confront, and possibly get revenge on his killers.

The film also challenges ideas of growing corporate control, as shown by the corrupt nature of OCP, a corporate entity who becomes "above the law." It explores the city, a corrupt city much like an American version of of Moscow, where criminals have infiltrated the highest levels of corporate power. The distopic city has been so neglected that there is a "New Detroit" or "Delta City" where there can be hope, the rich can live in, and be away from the unsavable crime of "old detroit."

Although the film was made in the 80's, it is definitely still watchable today. It has much violence and gore, and is quite realistic in its special effects which are mostly animatronic. The special effects still live up to this day, and give the film a certain "edge."

In addition, this film challenges certain notions about corporate control of the military, and how the military-manufacturing industry, when out of control, can become dangerous to the common man and common society. It is an important watch in the strange world we are seeing develop in the United States.

With such great questions & futuristic action, this film wins in both the action & science fiction category, and is easily one of the most perfect marriages of the two genres. It even has good acting, which can be rare for both of these genres. 10/10!!! (rare)
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
21 Grams (2003)
amazing film
15 April 2004
Although it left me seriously depressed, i gotta say... wonderful film. The way the film cuts back and forth is a bit jerky at first, but it doesn't matter after 30 min. into the film. The story is gripping, real, and deals with some really harsh stuff. I don't know what to make of this brilliant film yet, but all i know is that it left me really deeply hit. It affected me emotionally, and if a film does that well, you gotta give props to the makers of that film.

Now I've seen the other films by the same director, and visually speaking he has a very nice grainy, shaky style to his cinema. It's grittiness suits the script's and story's grittiness. Acting was amazing, by everyone.

Wow, a masterpiece. 10/10
Returner (2002)
I want to go home... and see this movie again!
7 February 2004
There were few real flaws with this movie, if what you were going for was a cool, fun, sci-fi adventure! The action and themes play on aliens, time-travel, wars, and gangs. How do these all fit into a movie? I don't know. But if Japanese anime can do it, why can't you convert it to film? Well, apparently you can! What is good about Japanese anime is good about "The Returner." It is hardcore, sci-fi action peppered with style and just enough substance.

I admit I was slightly surprised after renting this movie at my local video store... I did not expect to see such a well-rounded movie. Aside from excellent action, the movie was well directed photography wise. I was a bit surprised too at how good the special effects were. The cinematography, textures, and composition of the images were actually very well done. Many scenes where our hero was chatting, walking, etc., had some great dirty, rough, textured places which gave the movie a signature of interesting style.

The characters are driven as you might expect in an action film. A solid villain who is just so bad he's good (the time where he licks that scientist chick, unforgettable!), a main character who is flawed, but ultimately too cool for words. Even a girl from the future who is well acted, and your typical anime main character, who is innocent, yet strong and sexy.

About the complaints. Does it copy other movies? I think there is always an element of homage in Japanese movies to American movies, and vice versa (*cough* Quentin Tarantino anybody??). Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. Who cares. The point is, the movie is a fun ride with memorable moments... all you wanted from the Japanese, and a bit more!

8.5/10 (for a science fiction action flick!)

p.s. And props to the Japanese film industry. Keep it crazy, keep it comin!
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
For kids, really.
4 December 2003
Having watched the series as a kid, I was pretty excited to see this sitting on the shelves. Time to relive my childhood. But I was disappointed in the end.

The show is definitely designed for kids, since I thought it was absolutely terrible this time round! I found it difficult to sit through, and I had to insert a stick between my teeth to take the pain... but alas, childhood memories were revived. Sorta.

Anyhow, the plot, acting, and characters are just plain bad. Names for things are laughable. Those "evil" robot creatures, the Cylons, are just too evil to take seriously. I guess that's what has changed since childhood. I've become more skeptical, serious, and have seen too much. Only show this movie to kids, cause they will love it whilst we shall hate it.

Brento
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great! I'm going to show this to my kids!
25 November 2003
Wow, what a fun-loving, brilliant, magical story for kids to enjoy, as well as adults. (hehe, OK, maybe not kids!) I liked this movie, since it took a typical kid show idea and morphed it into something straight outta hell. This difficult-at-times to watch movie will make the sick ones laugh, and I found myself laughing alot.

It takes place in this weird freaking world where everyone is a puppet, and the feebles run this muppet-type show. The concept is great. Basically, instead of happy, fun-loving puppets, we have puppets who still have that "crazy" aspect that puppets usually do have, but with evil (and good) human traits attached. What you get, mostly, is an odd "Hell" kind of world. (Kermit, you better have been good, or you'll end up here!)

Somewhere in my demented mind I have a great desire to show this messed up movie to a kid, and see how they react. But I won't, not yet... hehehehe! >:)

Great concept. Difficult to watch. Messed up movie. Great for druggies. Not exactly for the kids...
28 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Helen of Troy (2003– )
Good TV
19 November 2003
I watched the whole thing through, and enjoyed it. It is made for TV, and probably not going to come near the "Troy" feature film which is about to come out in 2004/2005. But hey, the computer graphics and other effects were very well done, and aesthetically, this film did very well for the made-for-TV-budget.

Overall, I found the acting was suitable for the show, action well placed, and some plain good drama kept it interesting. It has a nice climax, and gets better as it goes on. Saying that, I do feel the start of the movie was not very strong, and I wondered if it would get better. I have to say it did get better, and kept getting better.

"Helen of Troy" made me think about war, history, and humanity. So, overall, not too shabby, and if I had made this little piece of TV, I'd be a happy guy. Nice well rounded show, a couple little weaknesses here and there, but another few million could of fixed it no prob. Lets just say they did well with what they had.

a high 7/10
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ripoff Spinoff Turn-It-Off
7 November 2003
Well, just stepped out of the theatre 30 minutes ago and have to say this....

It seems as if what was so special about "The Matrix" was truly lost in Matrix 3. If this was supposed to be a climax, then maybe I am missing what that is. There is no 'end' to this movie. It just simply is. Oh, now I am getting all philosophical. Or am I? Yes. That is what I have to do.... etc.

The speech in this movie was as disastrous as those last 6 lines. Character development? What character development? This movie was like watching a video-game you cannot control. And even worse, sitting at it in the theatre, not being able to fast-forward through very dull moments... it was painful. I never got to know Noabi or whatever her name is. Trinity, Neo, and Morpheus did not evolve whatsoever. Lines of love were so misplaced in such an emotionless movie it did not fit whatsoever.

Being a fan of the first movie, and 1/2 an admirer of the second, I only hoped for a movie as good as Matrix Reloaded. The beginning of the movie had promise, and I must say I liked seeing that French dude and the big-breasted woman, and wish they had more of a role. Perhaps more humans or programs wouldn't have done the plot any harm. Unfortunately, I do not think those "sentinel robots" or the "huge-freakin-face" will win any Oscar nominations. Oh, or that "new" Oracle misshap. OK, I know the old Oracle died (the actress) but this "new" Oracle did nothing for me. Seriously. I guess Neo had to see her once more, but really...

The ending was ludicrous. There were obvious shortcuts to the script (if you are a scriptwriter you will know what I am talking about) and crazy amounts of techno-babble meant to further the "story" if you wish to call it that. What is up with this? I hope the blockbuster movie trilogy thing doesn't turn into this kind of thing again...

So to sum it up, I give the movie a 2/10.

So uninspired. So empty. I am glad that everything which has a beginning has an end.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best Making of Docu-drama I've seen!
30 October 2003
I must say this "making of" documentary is the best I've seen for a while, since it pushes and pulls at your emotions ever so greatly. We are taken through a rollercoaster of a film production, one where we literally hang on (as mentioned in the film) and hope that things go well. And.... they don't. And that's what makes this documentary so compelling... seeing the dreams of one man, or a few men, come to ruins. This was probably meant to be a special feature, but became a whole movie in itself.

I only hope that the real movie will eventually be made. With $30-million down the drain, and all that set and costume left over, someone's gotta make this movie. And I truly hope it is Terry Gilliam since I think he's the only one who could pull off such a crazy film. The opening, with those slaves getting whipped, kind of reminded me of the good ole Monty Pithon days. Ohhhh... and the money another one of those could make....

So if you're an investor, reading this, INVEST IN THIS PROJECT!!! $$$$ This film could be another Holy Grail if you ask me, but better, since it would have more production values etc. Big money... yep yep!

Anyhow, I pray this picture gets done one day! I'd hate to have seen them go through all that Hell for nothing!! I wanna see this film! Arg! Please get made!

Documentary: 10/10

Potential Movie: 10/10
Psychopathic Trait #604: Not Seeing This Documentary
10 October 2003
Wow, if you want to make a documentary, look at this one for an example. I was one of the lucky few to get into the screening at the Vancouver International Film Fest, and appreciate how lucky I was to be one of the first to see this film. The clapping went on for a good while after the movie ended....

Being made/released at perhaps the perfect time, THE CORPORATION hits many subjects and takes on quite a tough task: to define a corporation. While the film critiqued many aspects of a corporation, and might seem negative towards corporations, the film truly does its best to frame the issue in a way that is not TOO extremist. It is both educational, yet contains traces of advocacy.

I liked the black & white film clips placed throughout, which serve to both define and mock certain aspects about capitalism. Interviews with Noam Chomsky, Naomi Kline, Michael Moore, and a host of others serve to better define certain areas of this broad topic.

THE CORPORATION truly succeeds at presenting such broad subject matter in a way that was crafted and edited very well. A nice flow of information compliments the movie, and my attention span was nicely kept in check.

I think this movie is thought-provoking, brings up issues which are HOT topics today, and tries out new things and wins every time. Definitely award-winning documentary material here, don't you think? I thought it was on-par with some of Michael Moore's work, an academy award winning director. Saying that, I think the people who made this movie did a fine job. Good work! I want to see more like this!

Five Stars / Five.

Recommend: Any of Michael Moore's work, as well as "Life and Debt" by Stephanie Black
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Shogun (1980)
Should you see this? Hai!
4 October 2003
I have been a huge fan of Kurosawa movies, epics like Gladiator, and other movies as such. Then I stumbled across this wonderful series in my video store. The story is of epic proportions, one which follows a European man's journey through old Japan. These were the days when Europeans were new to Japan, and it is exciting to see the character transformation which occurs in our main character, Anji.

Although this is a mini made in the 80s, it could well have been a movie (a rather long one!), since it was done so well. Interesting characters, all set in such a complex narrative with unexpected turns.

I am a big fan of Japan, and if you are interested in the country and the customs there, see this. Since it is from Anji's perspective we are led into the story through his eyes, understand what he understands, maybe a little bit more in some trouble spots. But narrative is done very well, and yeah... no flaws with this series.

The 6 hours or so was worth every minute, and I highly recommend.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Spider (2002)
empty movie left me empty
22 August 2003
being a cronenberg fan, i was a bit dissapointed. the problem i found was that at the end credits; the movie felt like it was just beginning. although i tried to unravel the plot, i found myself questioning why i should be doing so? since there is no front story, characters that are deeply characterised, or whatnot, this movie seems empty and leaves one empty. although i found it interesting to look at, and occasionally left me thinking, i found it a bit uninspired perhaps... an empty movie which left me empty.

i know directors do their artsy films once in a while. with cronenberg, i guess you can expect even more artsy-ness. oh well, i'm still hyped for his next movie.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gave me that same feeling.
16 May 2003
You know that feeling that you had when you left Matrix 1? Well, if you don't know what I'm talking about, that feeling where you look at things with more focus... study people around you... and wponder if you yourself could actually be in a matrix. Whenever a movie makes me leave the theatre feeling (not just blown away) but impacted in a way only that movie could have impacted me... it did something right. (for example, Goodfellas left me talking in Italian mob style for a few minutes...).

Matrix definetly did this for me... again. Although some of my friends were a bit dissapointed, I got that same 'feeling' as before. I think it works as a very good sequel, and gave me the same mind-f%#! as before.

There are a few things I left the theatre wondering about, and I cannot say them here cause I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen this yet. But where are the boudaries of the Matrix I wonder? And that guy with the knife... what about him?

Obviously since this movie is such a cliffhanger, you have to give thumbs up to the fact the 3rd one will be released in just six months. So even though these questions bug me, maybe that is what was intended.

8.9/10

p.s. and I think it lived up to the special effects we all wanted to see
Not Bad
23 December 2002
"Fellowship" is difficult to live up to. Although "Two Towers" is an enjoyable watch, it probably won't get another one out of me until all three are released on DVD. The first movie flowed better. The narrative style and structure of this sequel falls short, and there seem to be too many quick disjointed cuts.

The beginning of the movie was a little weak and I did not like the "episodic" feel the flashback/dream gave. This flashback explanation of Gandalf defeating the demon and "coming back" was not a great place to start. At least it was a dream of Frodo's... a good script-writing trick (one of a few in this movie).

We all think Gollum's character was superb, the movie had nice graphics, good enough acting. But the first was a better movie because it had better flow, camera, etc. Someone on IMDB also noted the "cliche" Hollywood tricks placed in this movie... I won't repeat them, but they sure do exist. (But what do you expect in a blockbuster? Ahhh, how to appease such a critical generation...)

Anyhow, I feel much like Gollum. We like it! We don't like it! We don't know! OK, no, I like it... but perhaps the final cut was a bit off. I mean, it's not like I sat in the theatre thinking these things... they are just after-thoughts. When the final third installment is included, the movie will work better. But I feel it is always important for a movie in a trilogy to stand up on its own.

Who knows, maybe a super-amazing-o-ramic-super edition will be released!
The Talk of the Town
21 December 2002
This documentary is the talk of the town. Everybody is saying great stuff about it, because it really relates to people living in North America... in Canada and the United States. No advertising needed, just word of mouth.

The issues presented in the movie are complex, and I like how Moore slants them to the way he wants the audience to get the message. It really works.

This film is great social commentary, and I was impressed by Moore's style of documentary. Did he edit this? Whoever did edit this was good.

If you like this movie, and question certain things about America, I suggest seeing "The Iraq Campaign" which is a nicely edited 10-minute-or-so piece which I am sure Moore has seen. (If not, Mr. Moore, you must see it!)

I really liked "Bowling for Columbine". I just wonder where America will install the next dictator... America perhaps??
Ehhh....
6 September 2002
OK, Austin Powers rules. The first got a 10/10 from me, the second got a 7/10. This one gets a 4/10. I was excited to see this movie, but unfortunately, the areas in this movie which lacked originality was in writing, direction, and acting. Three rather large areas!

So is it just me, or was this Austin Powers movie a take on other Austin Powers movies? I could see in the second film, they had lost some originality with putting in Dr. Evil for a second time. Why couldn't they have introduced more interesting villains. The Goldmember villian is quite annoying, and will never rival the Dr. Evil from the first movie. But I didn't appreciate the usage of Dr. Evil and Mimi-me again in this 3rd installment, because their characters seemed more like actors having fun rather than well-developed characters.

I thought Austin Powers 3 would find some new areas in the Austin Powers universe. But it didn't. It's just the same old stuff over and over again... without a coherent plot, bad acting, and as a whole, bad directing.
Truly Like Being in Space
30 August 2002
I saw this at the IMAX, and wow! What a trip! It is like I really went into space... The 3-D was done very well, and not overdone, just perfect. The content was really good, and much excellent footage. If you want to see an IMAX, do see this!
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this