Reviews

A Simple Plan (1998)
simply touching.
5 July 2000
This is one of the movies that has impressed me more lately. Its perfect combination of intrigue with the human portrait of all the characters make it as big as Fargo, movie it's been frequently compared to. The whole cast do their very best and the director, Sam Raimi, has shown his career has begun a new period we'll have to pay attention to. Also advisable for those who need a humbleness lesson.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
the hardest movie ever made.
5 July 2000
This movie hasn't been made for everyone. You have to be very mentally strong to take the destruction of human dreams and hopes this film represents. In fact it's but a symbol of the fight of a person against a whole world, a society (our society)which don't understand those who are different. The efforts of the main character to make happy everybody around him are responded with manipulation, even in the use of democracy, torture, and finally, the total killing of the personality, which leads him to a tragic end.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The magic of movies consists of losing your sense of space and time.
1 April 2000
And The Red Violin achieves it. The idea of following an object through the years during four centuries is brilliant, and the atmosphere of mystery and curse that surrounds the instrument hooks viewer's attention and curiosity in what will happen with the auction and who will finally get the precious article. Of course, it has its cons, such as being a little bit long and the fact that the mystery of the violin's colour was rather easy to solve before it's explained. In any case, it's an advisable movie.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Snake Eyes (1998)
Maybe it's all a pack of lies...
19 March 2000
Yes, maybe this movie is just a pack of lies designed by Mr de Palma to confuse us, but the fact is that the lie is brilliant. Perhaps I like being cheated with all the tricks a director can use, and de Palma uses here a large number of them. The result is probably poor in plot and weak in structure, but it's visually impressive, from the beginning to the end, and, sometimes, that's all a movie needs to hook you.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
One in the history.
26 February 2000
That's the conclusion I came to when I stepped out the cinema after seeing The Sixth Sense caught by the curiosity after hearing so many people and so many tv ads saying it was so excellent, so original and so surprising... One in the history of films. The ending is original, very good, but, what about the hour-and-a-half before? Slow, conventional, with just two or three interesting moments,so... why so many nominations? Seven deserved them more in 1995. P.S. : Greetings, congratulations, oscars and everything for Haley Joel Osment. The best of the boredom kingdom.
Pulp Fiction (1994)
It's just that.
20 February 2000
Pulp Fiction is really a different movie. Why? Well, it's got one thing many films lack nowadays: it's original. And I'm not talking about its plot, quite nonsense if one thinks of it carefully; or its structure, which responds to a personal mania of Tarantino, since he used the same "time-broken" structure in Reservoir Dogs and, unnecessarily, in Jacky Brown. It's just one thing that makes it absolutely different: its dialogs. Brilliant, humorous, crazy...it's quite clear why the only oscar it won was that for best screenplay. Dialogs. It's just that.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
The Godfather (1972)
a short comment
18 February 2000
It will not take very long: The Godfather is just...THE MOVIE. It's not my favorite movie, it's not the funniest movie I've ever seen or that of which I remember the dialogues as if I had studied them, but there's no single movie since 1972 (and maybe before) that hasn't taken something of it. It's poetry in motion, it's tender, wild, violent...again, it's THE MOVIE.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Tesis (1996)
An absolutely exciting thriller, as good as any USA movie.
6 February 2000
Spanish movies have improved very much in the last decade, but this film is absolutely the best of our history (in my opinion, of course). A brilliant plot, an excellent direction, outstanding performances by unknown actors (nowadays stars) and, above of all, a perfectly written screenplay. Totally recommendable
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?