Reviews

2,112 Reviews
The Rifleman (1958–1963)
Watch a few shows on re runs not that bad.
19 July 2019
Watched a few shows on re runs not that bad for an older show. Here is what's good about The Rifleman: The beginning is just awesome with a Rambo style Rifleman. Solid acting Connors and the rest of the gang are believable; there is none of that wooden acting some older shows have. The story fit well into the 45 minute format. Intro character development, a problem, and the dramatic solution jives well. The show introduces fairness, family, and some Rifleman action for a good Western . For a black and white show there is little of the usual cheesy wooden acting, sets, and choppy directing etc. Compared to today's formulated t v, The Rifleman actually stands out as a better show. Surprisingly there is a brilliance in simplicity over the over social message,and over dramatic scripts of today shows. Just pure entertainment gold. 7 stars.
Grease (1978)
I hate musicals.
17 July 2019
Grease is more of a musical and I hate musicals. Well the movie is like a stage play. I bet it was a stage play. There is a love story from the lake. High school drama of clicks. With songs in the middles end etc mixed into a romance. Sort of a 50's Happy Days feel. Acting, and directing is okay, but not my cup of tea. A classic if you like musicals because Olivia was a great singer, and John is great actor.
Gotti (2018)
Neither bad nor good!
14 July 2019
Gotti well one could say forget about it! With Gotti some of the acting was sloppy. Parts of the story lagged. The back and forth in time sequences at times was done in a way which hurt the movies story. There were some interesting parts in Gotti which followed real life. Gotti character went back an forth from being believable to rambling, which made each scene either good or bad. I will not call the Gotti movie a classic and or awful but just it is what it is a I bought it at Wall-mart for 10 dollars. Back in the day, when Blockbuster was around Gotti would have been in the 99 cent been real quick. Well I will not trash it. Just with John T involved people got there expectation a little to high. 6 stars.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Favorite Martian (1963–1966)
Another re run after school special!
13 July 2019
Back in the 80's My Favorite Martian was another re run after school special! What worked for My Favorite Martian was: Good formulated outer space humor; Bill would get into trouble because of: A one of the Martian's devices would malfunction. B there is a trouble because someone walks into when of the Martians experiments etc. C The Martian would be found out or has to correct a un-for-seen problem. Great characters: Bill stumbling around trying to figure out the Martian problems. Mrs Brown is not the sharpest knife in the drawer gets into humorist predicament, and is the brunt of lots of the jokes. The Martin is silly, but sharp. Memorable episode are: Bill climbing the rocks with the Martins broken device with the stranded child. The time Mrs Brown became the worlds best jewel thief because of the Martin device and a book. The collection of cells from the detective. My Favorite Martian aged well for a good cheesy way. 7 stars
Rawhide (1959–1965)
Moving em on out! Moving moving keep those!
12 July 2019
Great begging with the move them on out Rolling rolling rolling keep those doggies rolling Rawhide then the whip sound. Some times I would just watch the beginning. Well Client Eastwood was big back in the 80's so I and the rest of North Dakota and Winnipeg area would watch Rawhide. Well sometime I would watch Rawhide. Yates was the Eastwood character and the rest of the cast would be on an adventure each dusty trail. There were episodes of towns people believing someone was a witch, a women in distress, Natives on the trail, one of the crew is falsely accused of a crime etc. Pretty standard stuff, but sometime I would watch the whole show. Hey the Rockford file was taken of so I channel surfed. In Black and White, but the acting stayed strong and the pace was good for an hour show. Watched a couple episode with my dad, which brought back memories. Well decent for a Western. 7 stars.
Project U.F.O. (1978–1979)
Great show for an 8 year old.
11 July 2019
Well Project U.F.O. was part of the 70's U F O craze, and I was all in. Had U F O mag etc. Project U.F.O. was a great show for the 8 year old I was. Well I caught a few episodes on cable and all I can say is the show is just another formulated cop show. There was the human eliminate of the people involved. Special effects added to the action are dated. The straight police investigation, of questions, checking out the sight, and lab results just like C S I. Some cases were frauds, other made one wonder, and other had a surprise ending. The episodes I remember are: the U F O robots that put out the fire, and the homeless guys who threw a bottle in on the scene and gave the investigators a wrong conclusion. The episode where the parrot makes the U F O noise at the ending after the investigation was done and no one knew the episode was true was cute. Well I give Project U.F.O. a six out of ten. Interesting, sort of a kid's show, but not really. 6 stars.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Brady Bunch (1969–1974)
A memorable family sit com.
11 July 2019
A memorable family sit com. Two merged families with 6 kids makes for situational comedy. The Brady Bunch is lame by today's standards, because the Brady Bunch was copied and copied every bit and was redone over and over again. Just add different area of country, race, social class and time frame, but the story stays the same. Memorable episodes are Peter with the budgie, the vase, the trip out West etc. Well dated , cheesy for today series, but had the charming push of American family values and doing the right things. Dated for today's crowd! Not for the H B O crowd. 6 out of 10 stars.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Leave It to Beaver (1957–1963)
Watch this show more often than other sit com.
10 July 2019
Watch this show more often than other sit coms. Leave It to Beaver I would catch and episode but after school the Rockford Files was on at the same time and all I could say is "Sorry Beav!" Not a bad show when a classic episode caught my attention. The time Wally and Beav raised an Alligator, the broken car window, and ditching the crow for the nicer looking girl episodes stand out. What work was the all American values with some suburbia humor. Miss O'Maily was into the sauce is what Ward thought when the house cleaner saw the gator. Eddie gave some slick advice about the car door, and what Beaver should do with 2 dates. Of course Leave It to Beaver always did the right thing. The boys got a pet for showing the responsibility of raising the gator. Dad was not a tyrant so the boys fessed up to the broken window, and the Beaver went out with the girl with character over looks. Eddies slick humor, the gee Beav dad's going be mad etc was cool. The part where Beaver found out the Brussels sports are actually good was charming by the way. Simple and warm stories everyone liked. A family everyone wished they lived in. 7 stars.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Three Sons (1960–1972)
Another version of leave it to Beaver!
10 July 2019
Another version of leave it to Beaver! Watched the show on and off with my sister back in the day! Found leave it to Beaver better. Well a single dad raises his son's with an uncle. a time of more innocents, or what appears to be on t v. Memorable episodes was the youngest son's finds out the over aggressive friend is actually a Tom boy raised by a single dad, and some female insight is added to the show. The time the Chinese family pays a visit. All this is good all American values. Show bogged down in the usual predictable family sit com scripts. Did not mind the show but lost my attention. Still memorable. 6 stars.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Partridge Family (1970–1974)
my sister and I would watch the re runs after school!
8 July 2019
The Partridge Family the show my sister was at a time I would watch the re runs after school with my big sister! The Partridge Family was geared for my 5 to 8 year old mind. There was a problem ie Danny's voice change, Danny claiming Keith stealing his ideas, guy vs girls, etc. A sixties/early 70's feel to it. The time Keith has to face a bully and refuses to fight. Well there was a problem ( a hook for the audience) a resolution then some humor with a song. The peace and love music of early 70's, one could see the boredom mounting from the music with the push for 80's showman ship metal heading for the music industry. Every show had the usual Ruben we got a show in 2 hours everyone get ready jump on the hippy bus, which kind of looked like something from the Manson family. Watching The Partridge Family now we see a different time where suburbia was so different from today; the ethnic community meant the Italians section of town with the pizzeria. Suburbia hippy feel of your okay I am okay moral relativism of the times. The jokes are lame like all sit com jokes and one can see the punch line right at the starts, but hey The Partridge Family was a kids show. 6 stars.
T.J. Hooker (1982–1986)
Just another cop show.
7 July 2019
Just another cop show. Shatner is the great or greatest actor for cheesey scripts. Shatner has the instincts for ab lib for commercials, silly scripts, and spots on t v series. Knowing when to add silly humor, over acting, reacting, and just making a point is sign Shatner's specialty. Heck, Shatner can even do rap, which the famous Cptn Kirk, did for a commercial. Regrettable Shatner could not save T J Hooker. T J Hooker was so over formulated, and redundant. The eye candy cast of Locklear, and Zimmerman had the usual shirts of and or tight shirts for ratings. T J stunts on the car hood, throwing the baton, fights with the night sticks etc became repetitive for drama. T J did the smart Kirk role of solving problems and emotional pleas for the situational problems for a formulated script. I usual could only watch 5 to 10 minutes but sometime T.J. Hooker had a excellent script. The under age kid who turned 18 and got what was coming to him, and when Spock was a murdering cop were worth watching. There was some predictable car exploding episodes, and other nail biting memorable ones. I give T.J. Hooker a 5 stars. Some show are 3 stars and other 8, so the average is around 5. T.J. Hooker viewing experience all depends on which episode you watch. ( I love the officer who died before he retired just trying save one more life episode.)
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What all us children would watch on Sunday nights.
6 July 2019
What all us children would watch on Sunday nights. I remember Battlestar Galactica movie interrupted by President Carter signing a peace deal got me so mad when I was ten. Took me years to catch the end of the movie, but I filled in the gaps and loved the t v series. We had Starbuck, (Face from the A team), Greene, and a great supporting cast which made for memorable characters. Everything space oriented had to deal with the fame of Star Wars special effects and Battlestar Galactica had great special effects. The Battlestar Galactica was excellent looking, and the Cylon robots, their ships, Battle stations etc was mind blowing for 70's non CGI tv. The mix of great characters, actors, and special effects built the pillars for great stories. Star Buck meeting his father, Red eye western, Ice Planted Zero, and the series premiere were the most notable for me. What worked for me is/was each story had humor, mystery and great effects; a formula for any sci-fi story. Serious but not to serious. The music, costumes and cylon red eyes still stick as a child. Good memories. 8 out of 10 stars.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Big Valley (1965–1969)
Watched the re runs
5 July 2019
Watched the re runs with my sister and we loved The Big Valley; AWWW ....there was the Western music, wide shots of the Western Valley, and the frontier back drop. What made the show. Each The Big Valley episode was different from the others. Evens would have a stalker, and or love interest episode. Lee Majors had to face a evil sheriff Major would let win mock gun fights. The Mormon with 2 wives that had a neighbor that was going hurt the family are memorable episodes. There was many notable Western actors like Bruce Dern play the usual creep! The mix of characters and story lines made a versatile show. The Big Valley episodes had violence, other episode where soap opera ish, and others family matters. The variety of cast and characters keep the viewer entertained. Better than the average Western. 7 stars.
Emergency! (1972–1979)
Was the show we talked about on our street.
5 July 2019
Was the show we talked about on our street. Between tag, and hide and seek the gang would talked about what happened on everyone favorite show Emergency! There was the the hospital staff, the fire fighters and the ems guys. Emergency would usually start out with a call and the secure the accident and every second show someone give mouth to mouth. Then on ward to the hospital to stabilize the patient! Then there would be a social/family issue. Well I found Emergency too formulated as a kid, but we loved playing pretend Emergency and make the Emergency noises. Never gave anyone mouth mouth which was a big failure when it was tried lol. 7 stars.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When W W F was prime time!
1 July 2019
Before the wrestling factories took over and all the scripts, and actors started looking the same. Wrestlers where learning their acts and moves on reservations, community centers, bars, and small town festivals. The wrestlers learned from the crowds whats acts, characters, and maneuvers worked. Wrestlers reflected their communities back then. In the 80's wrestling could get away with some of the humor and sterotypes that today's offend life styles would just lose it. But the diverse body types, characters, and character flaws where great for a wild show. Jake Robberts, Hulk, Bobby H, and the rest put on a great show. The interviews are classically off the cut and raw. Jessie the Body and Vince where great adding commentary for a colorful show. Yes there was the usual and predictable misplaced folding metal chair, referee interference, the female manager with the hair spray skits. I watched repeats an Saturday Night's Main Event is still funny and not dated. Today's, wrestling is so controlled; You just don't get that wild West ad hock wrestling. 8 stars.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Carol Burnett Show (1967–1978)
Was good for it's time.
1 July 2019
As a kid I would watch The Carol Burnett Show with my sister as a child and loved the show. There was a song, over reactions, stupid reactions, Conway hurting himself etc. Now I watch The Carol Burnett Show I saw the punch line before it hits. The sight gag hits the viewer and I think it's been it done it before. The Carol Burnett Show was so successful it has made itself dated because the scripts been so over copied so many times. Modern scripts are so improved and adapted that what was once cutting edge is like watching an Eddie VanHallen guitar solo and one thinks thats nice! Everyone does it now. A classic show for it's time 6 stars.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Odd Couple (1970–1975)
The slob vs the neat freak.
1 July 2019
The slob vs the neat freak. Now a days it would be defiance disorder vs o c d, because every has a name to it. What made The Odd Couple works because the odd end book covers live together which causes friction. Oscar and Felix characters has Oscar makes messes and Felix cleans it which creates a comic tension. Put a odd situation which has straight man Felix comes up against the comic man Oscar and you got the Abot at Costello formula. Memorable episode with the golden formula where: The neighborhood watch episode. The poker night episode. The time Oscar and Felix dated the twins. etc. Who and how will each situation go into trouble? was the series hook. What will the over reaction be? What bizarre event will make the story go off it axis? Just keep the viewer wanting more Memorable series as a kid. 6 stars.
Charlie's Angels (1976–1981)
Baywatch for P I's
28 June 2019
I love P I shows and growing up with my sister we loved to watch Charlie's Angels. As a kid I loved watching the mystery. My sister loved the idea of strong females investigating mysteries. She loved Katie. Myself always the blond stars one would replace the other. No idea why. Well the women knew karate, could seduce information, and where quick on their feet. The usual a murder, someone gets framed, finding a missing person story lines. There was a chemistry with the Angels with each other an Bosely. The usual mix of drama and comedy between the characters. Of course as I got older and hit adolescence all the guys would watch the Angels and ask who's your favorite. Tanya was mind while many like Jackie. Watching Angels know is corny and formulated. But back in the day Charlie's Angels was like why. 6 stars.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should of payed the baby sitter more!?!
28 June 2019
Should of payed the baby sitter more!?! Why there is a toxic waste dump of cursed items in the Warren's basement is beyond me. If the Warren's house burned down there would be troubles for the town. That's besides the point! Anyways, someone disturbs the doll and Annabelle Comes Home becomes a twisted version of Adventures in baby sitting. Scary in a sensory over load situation. There is coins rolling on the floor, bumps, door bells ringing, and lights going on and off. Thus a sensory over load scares in the Warren's house. The family wonders why no one want to go over? (eye roll) Long story short the character build up is well done. The viewers build empathy and likability for Annabelle Comes Home which makes for decent horror movie. The build is always better then the scare. Annabelle Comes Home stars out strong with what to do with the evil doll, and where and why. The middle is strong character development. The bottom third is why the neighbors property values go down living next to the Warrens. Well sensory over load scares, but predictable horror movie cliches. Annabelle Comes Home is 6 stars out of 10.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than the Original!
26 June 2019
Better than the prequel. The Secret Life of Pets 2 has three stories melded into continuity and humor. Pets and children was the theme with Max. Max the dog which over worries is with the farm dog Rooster (Harrison Ford's voice), who go on an adventure. Snowball is on an adventure to save a tiger, and Gidget must get Max's ball back, which are humorous adventures. The cat laser light scene is hilarious. Not much of Sweet Pea, the Budgie, regrettably, but Sweet Pea is cute as ever. Funny how the budgie looks over serious like budgies do. Not the usual over heavy social messages and formulated animal goes away from home and gets lost story. The animation was not the usual run of mill C G I style super hero movie. Worth watching. I was pleasantly surprised when I view a sequel which is better the prequel. Worth watching. 9 stars. Not one kid was bored during the whole film and audience was completely captivated.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Malice (1993)
On second viewing Malice gets better with age.
25 June 2019
On second viewing Malice gets better with age. When I first saw Malice back when Malice came out I was like blah; Just another mystery movie. My wife loved it. Full of sex, intrigue which stirs the audience interest, Malice has two concurrent stories running along side each other, which has the viewer guessing. Baldwin, Kidman, and Pullman all where better looking, back in the day, with the young hunger acting/creativity drive which made a tough story easier to believe. Like gone girl the weaker character finds out what his wife is really like, and has to battle threw some stronger characters. The motive and finding out was brilliant script idea. Well written and acted I say Malice deserves another look! 7 out of 10
Dragnet 1967 (1967–1970)
Not bad for the low Budget.
24 June 2019
Dragnet is Not bad for the low Budget show! Dragnet came from the age of radio to T V, and followed the radio drama format. Unlike high budget police shows with car crashes and gun fights Dragnet goes with the old radio days of dialogue. The old radio days format is Dragnets strong points. The music dum a dum dum mixed with Jack Webb's narration is excellent. Webb's transition of dialogue about Los Angles to the present story is golden. Just the fact's by Jack Webb is great with the police work of questioning which makes non action police work, that many would consider boring for T V is intriguing police work ; A mix of visual reaction, and dialogue creates a great rhythm of unfolding a true story. True stories can be better than fictionalize scripts and Dragnet proves the such . A true classic.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AWA All-Star Wrestling (1960–1990)
Sports drama at it's best.
23 June 2019
Watched A W A All-Star Wrestling Saturday nights @ 10 and Sunday morning repay at 11. As a child and teenager, AWA All-Star Wrestling had it all. I tried all the wrestling moves on all my classmates. The figure four, Texas brainbuster, Boston crab, etc. I was the reason Wrestling moves got banned during recess. Well, when V C R came around we could slow-mo the moves and even get better. What made the show great was the drama and characters. Jesse the body and that's a fact Jack interviews where classic. Along with Bobby H all you Humanoids out there interviews were greats. There were the good guys the High Flyers, the Claw, and Man Dog whose maneuvers and ring theatrics where great. Then there was the commentary from Heanen, Gene and Lord Alfred. Mean Gene's "for crying out loud" ..."Run not walk and get your ticket today. Then the Gene interviews. "the High cryers" as Jess would call them" "How much for the tie Gene" the Sheik would say after Muta chewed on Gene's tie... and Bobby's so so if dynamite were brains he couldn't blow his own nose was classic. All this was riveting drama of problems caused belt lost, by distracted official, interference, and or folding metal chair made the classic story climax of Wally making next week's match a cage match. Should of had the AWA look into why there was so many folding chairs lying around the ring!?! lol Hulk debuted and the classic movement was running wild. When Hulk joined the W W F that spelled the end for the A W A. 9 stars.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Love Boat (1977–1987)
Love this show so much as a kid, but not so much as an adult.
22 June 2019
Friday night @ 8 was The Love Boat time on t v watching it with my older sister. Quick chocoholic milk and then watching Fantasy Island then Pro Wrestling @ 10 took me towards t v heaven! There where the characters on the Boat like T C the bartender, Doc, Julie etc who all had their quirks but came together to solve some problem. aka someones mom came to see one of the crew members causes a problem which the crew helps fix etc. The Boat's guests where different t v stars who fall in love have romantic problems or other personal problems and a resolution by shows ending. Great as a kid, but know show seems formulated, and I can see the punch line coming a mile away. Loved the theme song back then but seems cheesy like some 70's lounge act. In fact, I find The Love Boat is a cheesy show, but then again it was meant to be just like professional wrestling. 6 stars.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My sisters favorite show.
18 June 2019
My sister's favorite show. There was special effects, Wholesome fun, drama and interesting stories from a quiet town of the Prairie. Un-like other violent westerns there was some violence but the stories on Little House on the Prairie where more day to day real life episode than your show down at Tombstone. The boxer that John beat up had health, problems, the town helping John out with the store owner, the bad family the town ran out etc all compelling episodes. All memorable episode because there close to real life stories, which grandparents would pass down . Drama of the Ingle girls fighting with the Spoiled girl from the dry goods store, which her mom spoiled and the mother was just as bad. Like the time she listen in on the phone conversation and John found out his wife was married before. Great episode. The imaginary friend episode about day dreams and John talks about imaginary friends was just great. There was always a drama story, which intertwine with interesting characters and created great character development for a great story, which crafted what would have been a dry t v series into a classic t v series. 7 stars.