Opening Day : Casting Error
2 July 2019
OK. The story is interesting and the acting is passable for this kind of affair.

But the ONE thing that makes this episode fail miserably is the casting for the two wives in this tale. The two actresses are not at fault here. The one thing that caused me to be confused throughout and at the climax, which should have been obviously noticeable was blurred.

Why? Because the actresses "nearly" looked the same to my eyes. Both were attractive brunettes! At least they could have chosen one blond, one brunette to highlight the contrast between the two. Why? Because as I see it, I could not tell which wife was attached to which husband. It should have been clear-cut. Instead I found myself wondering which woman came back to Jeffrey Jones at the end?
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Framed (1930)
Not Bad AT ALL
2 June 2019
I really enjoyed this early talkie better than I expected. Evelyn Brent was terrific as a gal gone the wrong way - and she should have been a star or at least a major player. But that's always a roll of dice in Hollywood.

Any resemblance to a B-picture are wholly unfair. The plot was interesting - all the actors' performances were fine - all right, not stellar but - earnestly played except for the downplayed hoodlum played by Ralf Harolde. It does not bother that some have called it stagey. I expect this from the early talkies and I compensate for it and so should you.

The ending was whimsical and perhaps some of you may not expect it but I found it pleasing.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Early Edition: Dad (1997)
Season 1, Episode 22
William Devane Makes this a Gem !
25 May 2019
For years, I have admired Devane's unique and widely acclaimed acting style. But lately I have not seen him anymore as much since he has most of his career behind him. Today, I re-watched this charming episode again and realized the breadth of his talent and style. He was certainly accessible, but also fun to watch. But I also witnessed a quiet, honest warmth to his delivery that surprised me.

Devane's chemistry with Kyle Chandler was a joy to watch. Long may he wave!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Early Edition: Blackout (1998)
Season 3, Episode 1
SOMETIMES - Humanity is all we got
22 April 2019
This episode is one where at the end we get a beautiful resolve - one that I remember from a very funny movie called The Russians are Coming x2. It is not a tacky ripoff because it is generations away from this episode and I say that because it might not be a familiar situation to much of today's audience so it is a worthy resolve to emanate again.

Sometimes two opposing sides can be joined when an outside threat appears that will join these sides. Sometimes adversity can bring out the best in us, as we have seen time and time again in our nation. I chuckled when I saw it coming but it was just as pleasurable when I saw it here. Early Edition is one of those series that will remain a reflection of the inner nature of man - although that might sound trite, a trope or what you may call it - but IT WORKS here and I am thankful I witnessed it - and I THANK those involved with this series to shed LIGHT upon us all.

We surely need as much light as possible now.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Profiler: Train Man (2000)
Season 4, Episode 8
Horrible Story Line warrants very little
24 March 2019
I am not prone to review writing and story lines. But the degrading aspect of the characters depicted and their motivations was at first alarming and then truly despicable. I ask myself, why would a nation under racial turmoil produce such an unredeeming plot. It belittles racial stereotypes and genres of racial stereotypes to the point of casting a wholly negative light upon the vicissitudes of those who exist "between" races by depicting them as murderous and unworthy.

Although I found the episode compelling, the conclusion was shallow, harsh and unsympathetic to the plight of those who live in our world who do not fit in our woefully prescribed pigeon holes.

I summarily reject this episode's premise, development and it's conclusion.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Early Edition: Fatal Edition: Part 2 (1999)
Season 4, Episode 8
One of THE FINEST of the series!
23 March 2019
This two-parter had me on pins and needles. And it proved once again and in spades, just how fine this series was. KYLE CHANDLER as Gary Hobson, the unlikely hero, brought us a quandary that tugged at our hearts, How could such an honest character's incorruptible life be turned upside-down by an accusation of murder? How can he prove his innocence while being jailed and then a fugitive?

He has allies that nudge him closer along the way, even after his best ally's own integrity has been questioned?

I won't give away any clues, but I will reveal only that it was one heck of a ride. And I am grateful for this series' unique appeal to the goodness and honesty inside of most of us for highlighting the possibility that good, solid entertainment, done with good moral principles can be done in these days of such turmoil in the world.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crossing Jordan: Mace vs. Scalpel (2006)
Season 5, Episode 20
Thrilling episode marred by one thing
19 February 2019
I was on pins and needles watching horrible abduction and the development of the boy's awareness of his dilemma. The acting was top-notch as was the direction.

What really disappointed me was the discovery of the insider's guilt. As truthful as it was, I wish it had not been a seemingly honest Hispanic character who was struggling with an impossible life situation. It's just my PC demon showing it's head again. I won't apologize for my view. It would have been better for all concerned if the image of Hispanics wasn't always used as a convenient scapegoat.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Riot at the Rite (2005 TV Movie)
Remarkable Achievement
14 December 2018
I am a musician and a composer. To me this solitary event will always stand out as one of the monumental leaps in music. So much so that its reverberations spanned the entire 20th century, are felt today and will do so for a very long time. This is to explain my maximum rating of a "10". When I first heard this music in my teens, I was mesmerized so much so that I read everything about it and finally purchased the full score for my own study.

How does this relate to the achievement in this film? I believe that no film will ever capture the entire compass of a story, an idea, a person, or an event. But this film nearly did for me in so many ways. Some have stated that the actual event was much wilder and this reenactment was wanting. The point is that the moment in history has been sealed in "celluloid". Suffice it to say that those voices of dissent from the present and the past have been silenced and what is left is Stravinsky's genius and Nijinsky's legacy which live on for as long as we have life on this earth.

First, I must praise the acting performance of ADAM GARCIA. I had heard of him before this but I was drawn to his performance of the tragic Nijinsky who spent most of his life in and out of asylums and hospitals. Although this long episode in his life did not begin immediately after his performances of the "Rite of Spring", in Adam's performance we began to see his schizophrenic tendencies. It was this singular performance that was at the heart of the movie. The measured intensity of Nijinsky's genius was reflected in how Adam's characterization allowed us to witness the near-break down near the end. I cannot praise Adam enough for the privilege of this experience.

As for the entire work as a whole, we saw a remarkable cast, a stellar crew and a fine director put on a show which will be hard to ever forget. One that will be engraved in my memory for a long time and one, that has erased Nureyev's self-indulgent portrayal of Nijinsky from my mental repertoire for good. THIS is he Nijinsky that the world should begin to know and understand.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How could I describe this movie?
20 October 2018
It is hard to find the adjective and nouns to explain how this movie left me. If I call it Sci-Fi, I would be wrong. Similarly, if I pegged it Horror, Drama, Mystery or any other genre, I would be wrong.

This is a movie that slowly creeps up on you. Until you realize, as Mark's character did, that you are in too deep and there is nowhere to go.

There are a few things to say: the acting by the two principals was mesmerizing, the director molded each character, each scene with a clarity one rarely sees, not even in the most ambitious independent projects.

Here the storytelling was the central core, and it was told well. Set aside any observations over any of the special effects, they were far and away the least important aspect of the story.

It was a story with so many layers, all within a simple premise of achieving eternal life. I challenge anyone to find a similar movie. Anywhere. That was told this well.

I won't delve into the story, because that would ruin the entire experience. Suffice it to say, that I highly recommend it to anyone who is searching for a film that will leave you thinking about all of the layers this very director/writer has created.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Living Doll: Beauty Contest (1964)
Season 1, Episode 8
Julie Newmar on the piano!
11 October 2018
This came to a surprise to me! At first I thought it was some cinematic trick but as I followed closely, I realized it REALLY was her playing Chopin - and quite beautifully, I am might add - until the silly plot got in the way and Robert Cummings botched it up for his own fears of exposing her to the world.

Needless to say, it was a pretty standard episode and I could see that the charms of the first few episodes was wearing off of the writers.
Pria (2017)
A beautiful revelation
9 October 2018
This movie was a gentle surprise and a beautiful revelation - although filled with pain and inner turmoil - it portrayed the reality of being different in a static society that is filled with traditions that stifle ones own inner sensibilities and freedom. The main actor/protagonist managed to infuse his deep angst and pain with a gentle effort that tore into my heart.

The final realization of his destiny reflects the fate of so many who have struggled with this difference needlessly. The movie has no ending - but it begs for more. Such is the case, and we will have to live with the fact that any more narrative would spoil the utter perfection of this film.

The direction was flawless and the cinematography was splendid.

Recommended without reservations.
Goodnight Sweetheart (1993–2016)
WONDERFUL SERIES
23 September 2018
Twenty years ago, this series came to America, but I was not able to watch it through to the end. This month, I was fortunate enough to find it in the States online. I binge watched it 3 or 4 episodes each night. The story, the actors, the writing and direction took over my life to my great satisfaction.

I can't say enough about this series. Suffice it to say, I shed a tear or two at the very end. Kudos to all involved. NICHOLAS LYNDHURST was phenomenal as was each of the main actors, not to mention the Noel Coward actor, who was always so spot on.

Thank you, Alamo, SelecTV and the BBC for a truly enjoying experience!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Goodnight Sweetheart: Accentuate the Positive (1999)
Season 6, Episode 10
Fitting ending to a Great Series!
23 September 2018

Thank you, Alamo, SelecTV and the BBC for a truly enjoying experience!
Extinction (2018)
Really good and refreshing movie with a Twist
1 September 2018
I am fascinated by the entire premise of the movie. It was well done, by actors, directors and all.

The effort was interesting to watch and develop. The twist will surprise you. Do not read any of the reviews that spoil it for you.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
TOUR-DE-FORCE all the way!
6 July 2018
I can't say enough about this movie, primarily, of course, the tour-de-force performance by ANDREW KINSLER! All throughout the movie, it keeps me guessing what is going on. I was dearly hoping the ending would not be prosaic. And it met my standards for a modern movie to a "T". This is one outstanding thriller of the mind... It couldn't be more perfect. I congratulate Richard Mundy for truly horrifying experience. There's more that I could write, but it's enough to say you hunger for psychological horror, this is IT.
40 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vive le Sport!
26 September 2017
I found this episode to be intriguing. This whole row about the French accents on this board is rather infantile.

Regardless, the players did a good job. And so did the production people. I enjoyed seeing a young David McCallum as I recalled how well he did on "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." and many other series on television. Perhaps the plot could have been fleshed out but the end result was fine for my taste.

The title line, is the last line spoken by Raymund Burr. It elicited a smile and pleased feeling on my part. Good episode with interesting story.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Socrates (1971 TV Movie)
A Masterwork
24 September 2017
THIS is a masterpiece. JEAN SILVERE was a revelation. Also, ANNE CAPRILE, his wife, was superbly wrought. So perfect was SILVÈRE's portrayal, that for me, he became SOCRATES.

I was wary, however, in the beginning, because the conversations went by so quickly. But now I understand what was going on and, as the story progressed, I became absolutely engrossed in this great, tragic story of one of history's great martyrs of truth.

I was moved, and I am not ashamed to say, literally to tears, during the last somber scene. I must now praise ROSSELLINI's direction. It gave me a more solid understanding of those times.

Also, the serious and unobtrusive musical score, which pulsated on had a drone-like quality which disappointed me at first, but again, as the story progressed, I understood why it was composed in this manner. It gave this work of art, the final touch of perfection.

This needs to be seen by a wider audience. I hope it will, in time, be required viewing in all the halls of education, everywhere.

I shall never forget it.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perry Mason: The Case of the Deadly Verdict (1963)
Season 7, Episode 4
WOW! This must be one the TOP 5 Episodes
23 September 2017
How can one even begin to summarize or review this masterpiece of an episode. For one thing, At the end of the hour, I felt as if I had been watching the intrigue for a much longer time. It was that good...there were no superfluous events nor any red herrings to led you astray.

The plot was also unconventional and a mighty welcome respite from the normally formulaic programs produced by 'Paisano Productions'. There were unexpected turns and twists and what apparently looked like location shots and then, there was the finale: absolutely chilling in a delightful way. I actually laughed out loud for a bit after its conclusion. It was THAT good.

I was equally impressed with the superb acting of all involved. There are too many to mention but, JULIE ADAMS and JOAN TOMPKINS were at the top of their game.

I have now watched at marathon of almost all of the episodes in one nearly continuous feast of Perry Mason. So far, just 185 episodes. I have been satisfied with each and every one and bowled over by just a couple dozen. But this one was one of the most fascinating episodes of all. I will never get around to ranking them all but this one, will definitely rank in the TOP 5 if I ever do!
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perry Mason: The Case of the Weary Watchdog (1962)
Season 6, Episode 9
This Episode HAS to be one of the BEST
21 September 2017
I am going to try to reveal nothing about this episode. But it would be hard to explain just how novel it was.

What begins as a typical episode where one character is murdered, it ends up being one of the most unusual.

Fortunately, I have probably seen every single episode of this landmark and I must say, legendary series.

Each episode winds us through maelstroms of intrigues, mysteries and double-dealings. But what we witness here is a tapestry so tautly woven, that we are so sure it will never unravel.

But for the fearless and masterly writing, this does not happen. Instead we are shown a path of unexpected consequences where the genius of Perry Mason's mind leads us to an unwitting and satisfactory conclusion.

I must recommend this one without an iota of reservations.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beyond (II) (2015)
MASTERFUL Storytelling
14 September 2017
Thoroughly and completely masterful! Absorbing from beginning to ending. Richly fascinating and unforgettable! How difficult it is to review something which transcends explanation without revealing one iota of the gist of the presentation. This film is best best explained without any explanation.

It unfolds with a mysterious premise from another time and seamlessly evolves into another. The mystery continuing to transfix us to its poignant conclusion.

JOE PENNA has wrought a tour-de-force and RAY TRICKITT has moved us with an understated but affecting catharsis.

Recommended without reservation.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Paradox (2006)
Paradoxical Enjoyment
13 September 2017
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT FILM!! The production values and the actors were phenomenal in their undertaking.

I must say, I was taken in by the superb development of this story. No, I was transported! Leave it to the British to create something of such high quality! Thank you to all who took part for, one, a fascinating story that could have been expanded (though I am glad it wasn't) and two, for the utterly surprising twist of an ending! I highly recommend this movie and it baffles me that the first reviewer chose to only see this under a negative light. Some people just don't get things. I got it and I loved it.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Screen Two: East of Ipswich (1987)
Season 3, Episode 5
A Big Surprise - It's Very Good!
20 August 2017
I started watching and had no idea where it was going. I stopped it and had a sandwich. Read something about it. And then resumed watching.

What eventually happened was that I really began to like it as I started to identify with the main character boy. I began to think about my old days... and I couldn't keep my eyes off of the story.

It took me in and I must say that I was very pleased with the result. MICHAEL PALIN did a wonderful job here. The various people and situations all seemed familiar. They struck a deep nerve of my subconscious and conscious memories of my youth. That's not to say that anything like this happened to me. But, I connected with the whole thing in the best way.

I recommend this to anyone over 40 who might want to reminisce about things of their past youth.
The Truth (II) (2014)
THE TRUTH will set you free...
1 August 2017
And so it did. I felt so compelled by this motion picture that I had to write this review. I went to YT and found Simon Marriott's "trailer" for it. I realize it was merely the first 4 minutes. But I quickly posted on FB so my friends might find it. Why? It moved me. OK it moved me to tears. Tears which were trying to be released from my body for weeks. I finally felt cleansed and peaceful. A peace which I needed so badly. I am not concerned with whomever might have found this corny, prosaic or ingenuous. I am at peace with myself.

OK - NOW about the movie. I won't tell you one bit of the plot and for good reason. Suffice it to say, many people will like it and many people will not. The fault does not lie with the movie itself. But what you bring into it.

The actors, beginning with the perfectly cast, SIMON MARRIOTT, were superb. Marriott brought a perfectly natural gentleness to his portrayal without ever once feeling forced. He really "made" the experience for me. The rest of the cast, in fact, were all so spot on, it was a pleasure to experience their performances. From the smallest to the largest role.

This is a movie which must be experienced with no expectations or reservations, or any such limitations.

I want to personally thank, first TONY CLARKE, it's writer and director. You've really made a difference in my life and I want you to know it.

That's all I am going to say. Any more wouldn't be right.
6 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Time Toys (2016)
Fun Escapist Adventure
26 July 2017
This is a fun movie that took me away from the drudgery and responsibilities to give me a really great time. Kudos to Ed Begley, Jr. for a fine natural performance that avoided any reference to another movie that comes to mind.

The movie was obviously not financed heavily by Hollywood, but it overcame this obstacle by offering us a group of charismatic but very UN-Hollywood-type young actors that obviously had a lot of fun making this Fantasy Sci-Fi film. I would love to see all of these young people again.

The fantastic TOYS the young people found were fun to watch and enjoyable plus the technical results were MUCH more than acceptable. Some might think they need to belittle this movie because we have ALL been spoiled by Hollywood's ultra-high production values. I SAY - let's make MORE films like this. Let's NOT spend a ton of money only to be disappointed so many times. Let's experiment!~ THIS is what movies are ALL about! Thank you to the creators of this film - I hope there IS A SEQUEL!
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Faux-Pas
3 July 2017
The 1st part of film had the right documentary feel to it. Sadly, and I say this with my heart in my throat, did not result in a notable effort. Perhaps the production required more time or funding. I am not sure. One this is certain, the faux 2nd part of the film could have been so more authentic looking. I should not have expected so much.

First of all, the focus was much too sharp for the era. The film stock is generally one of the main reasons at fault in these efforts to duplicate the past. The creators had other challenges that fell short of the "authenticity" of lost silent film. The lighting was entirely too nuanced, the acting too modern, the make-up too refined.

OK, I was disappointed with the final effort, that's obvious. Perhaps one thing could have saved it: the frames per second. This might have been a real masterpiece had the creators made an effort to taken some of these aspects in order to present the feel of film-making of this very special era of this art form.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.