Reviews

6,577 Reviews
Star Trek: Voyager: Endgame (2001)
Season 7, Episode 25
Nice to Be Home but Don't Think Too Much
21 September 2018
For the last time in this series, time travel is involved, and the consequences of the mutation of time is ignored. Because of Admiral Janeway's unhappiness and the loss of Seven in her time, she steals some Klingon technology and goes off to change the past. Once again the Borg are the bad guys, and need to be dealt with. One of the critics says that Janeway commits genocide. I think that is simplistic as the Borg are on a mission of conquest to destroy and assimilate everyone that exists. Although I enjoyed the closure, it would take a book to go through the errors that occurred here, starting with two Janeways being on board the same ship. Just focus on that. I think Einstein would be put to the test. The crew has spent all those years trying to get home and yet they make a pact and ignore the biggest gift horse ever. And are the Borg really gone since they seem to be done in by a futuristic Janeway. Oh well. It was certainly fun anyway.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Renaissance Man (2001)
Season 7, Episode 24
A Bump in the Road
20 September 2018
Going into the final episode, this episode does nothing to segue into that major event. This starts with a sort-end-of the-road event, reporting the potential destruction of Voyager and the resettlement of its crew. A formidable adversary proves, however, to be anything but. Instead, we are reintroduced to those two fat guys from a previous episode. They are scroungers and have come up with a plan to get the warp core from our favorite starship. They have kidnapped the Captain and the Doc and are using the holographic talents of the transparent physician to manipulate the crew. Soon he is impersonating just about the entire main staff. This has some fun stuff in it, and the Doctor's confessions at the conclusion are quite hilarious. But the episode seems so out of place and so far fetched, even in the Voyager world, that it hardly seems possible. I look forward to the conclusion. It certainly has been a circumlocative path to this point.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Homestead (2001)
Season 7, Episode 23
Touching
20 September 2018
Even when there is an inconsistent series like this one, one gains an attachment to it. The characters live and breathe and we get to know them. I have to say my reaction to Neelix is sort of the same as Tuvok's. He is sincere but can be so annoying and, at times, clueless when it comes to social interactions (he can't take a hint). Still, he provided color and flair to the show. I always had trouble because I thought his head looked like a slow-pitch softball, but that's another issue. I forgot that his ship was still in dry dock and available to him. He obviously had technical skills and expertise in the ways of he galaxy. When he is given responsibilities, he is able to adapt to situations, even dire ones. Here we have him reconnecting with his species. Remember that his family and a huge number of Talaxians were the victims of genocide. He has been willing to combat his loneliness out of gratitude for his situation. Remember, at one point he nearly committed suicide. Anyway, I found this an extremely poignant farewell to an interesting character.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Natural Law (2001)
Season 7, Episode 22
Primitive Folk
20 September 2018
Chakotay, through his carelessness, almost gets killed and he and Seven end up on a planet with a primitive group of people. They form a bond with them but come into conflict with a more advanced race who want the property to themselves. We all know how this will end. We also have a tiresome subplot with Paris having to take introductory flight lessons from a pedantic old guy who is unyielding in his instructional syllabus. This is really dull. The whole thing is so predictable and seemed endless.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Friendship One (2001)
Season 7, Episode 21
Where the Fault Lies
19 September 2018
This is sort of interesting. Voyager and her crew are victimized by a man who speaks for a culture that nearly destroyed itself by trying to adapt technology from an Earth probe. When people do outrageous things and don't look at the consequences, the first they to do is to blame someone else. After 300 years, how could Voyager have anything to do with this destruction. The probe could just as easily have brought prosperity these people. They made their own beds. And to make matter worse, this megalomaniac decides it's his right to deprive everyone else based on his own hatred. He talks about how nothing they do will bring back all the dead. That is such a ludicrous statement, designed for him to keep his hatred and venom intact.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Author, Author (2001)
Season 7, Episode 20
I Enjoyed the Novel
19 September 2018
I know! Will they ever get home? There is something sort of disappointing in the fact that the crew is able to get routine messages home. Some are silly. Some are touching. But that fact of being stranded and making their way is sort of lost. Some real edge has been removed. That aside, the Doctor does a hilarious job of making a total farce of Voyager and the crew. When the captain shoots a guy in sickbay so the doctor can work on Marseilles (Paris) and get him to the bridge, it is hilarious. I do admit that the trial at the end is a tired motif, done many times in a variety of venues. Still, it works well.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Q2 (2001)
Season 7, Episode 19
Captains Q-rageous
19 September 2018
This was better than most Q episodes. I've said before that the fact that the Continuum exists makes it hard to think that anything that happens is important. Here, the son of Q is given over to Janeway to straighten him out. It turns out that having unlimited powers has spoiled him. So when his powers are taken away, he must act as a human and learn as a human would learn. It is good fun, but full of the same kind of shenanigans that every Q episode has.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Human Error (2001)
Season 7, Episode 18
Tortured Soul
18 September 2018
If one thinks about the holodeck and human sexuality, it's not hard to let your imagination go wild. Seven is slowly transitioning from her Borg self and still needs to regenerate and depend on her fancy eyepiece. She is so stark in her views on what goes on, but after having a relationship with that man on that planet in a previous time, she has longings. So she begins to practice being human, including a holographic Chakotay. Her work begins to suffer and she almost gets the ship destroyed. It is sad to watch her struggle to adapt. She is gaining emotions and bringing about sadness. Very good episode, giving Jeri Ryan a chance to use her wiles.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Workforce: Part II (2001)
Season 7, Episode 17
Fizzles a Bit but Still Very Good
18 September 2018
Sometimes when the setup is really good for a two parter, the conclusion doesn't quite live up to it. Here there is a bit of sluggishness, but there are so many positives that it doesn't matter. One thing that we can bank on (and sometimes it detracts) is that the Doc can solve almost any medical situation. The race that erased the memories and built new ones never had a chance against him. The slow realization of what is going on by Janeway is quite good. Once again, she ends up married to the ship. All in all, it is a satisfying piece.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Workforce (2001)
Season 7, Episode 16
Perhaps the Best of All
18 September 2018
I remember how impressed I was when I watched this the first time. Harry, Neelix, Chakotay, and the Doctor find themselves alone on Voyager. The rest of the crew was forced into escape pods and landed on a planet where workers are in great demand. The society, which has the ability to erase memories and add new personalities, has the rest of the crew working at some kind of refinery. Only Tuvok, who is haunted by his past, keeps some recollection of his past life. Janeway fall in love with a fellow worker. Meanwhile, the workers are given periodic injections to keep them in this state. Chakotay and Neelix go to the surface to investigate. The Doctor and Harry are in charge of Voyager. A very clever plot with lots of striking implications.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: The Void (2001)
Season 7, Episode 15
Yes, but Some Liberties Were Taken
17 September 2018
Anyone who gives a rating of "1" to anything but "Amazon Googles Meet the Martian Queen" is doing so out of spite. Interesting how a wide array of viewers average "8." None of these television series episodes is perfect because of time constraints and economics. I found this one to be quite nice. If you believe Janeway is pure evil, you need to find another show. There are interesting characters fighting for a common goal, their very existence. The aliens are interesting and unique and the task is clearly defined. Certainly, one of the better episodes.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Prophecy (2001)
Season 7, Episode 14
Wandering Klingons
17 September 2018
Another contrived plot. A herd of Klingons who have been wandering in space for centuries, comes upon voyager. When they find out that B'ellana is on board and she is pregnant, they assume from their ancient scrolls that her baby will be the messiah of the Klingons. All the actions features differences between the humans and the Klingons. Of course, there are other aliens on the ship, but we seldom see them (for instance those big fat blue guys). The one thing that must be dealt with is a condition carried by our perennial enemies. Anyway, it's a lightweight episode but engaging at times. By the way, when the Klingon fights Paris, I was hoping he was collapsing from being overweight and out of shape.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Repentance (2001)
Season 7, Episode 13
Presents an Interesting Dilemma
17 September 2018
When I was a college student, many centuries ago, a group of us discussed the theme that occurs in this episode. Situation Ethics 101: A man commits a terrible crime, say murder or rape. He is convicted and sentenced to die. While in prison, he has a stroke. The result of that stroke is a total loss of memory and a personality change. When he realizes that he is going to be executed, he has no mental connection to his crime. Should we now execute the body when the mind is completely overhauled? It's an incredibly hard one to answer. I guess what we fall back on is the chances of such an event occurring are infinitesimal. But this presents a unique chance to judge. I also thought the ending was quite believable considering the conditions portrayed.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Lineage (2001)
Season 7, Episode 12
I Find Their Relationship Dull
17 September 2018
I've said it before. When these two get together, it's like wheel's spinning in the mud. For me, they are both one dimensional characters. They wouldn't have to be, but the writers seem to be intent on making them that. We have the man-child married to the confrontational Klingon woman. Here, a child is in the offing, and the responses are at best silly, from them and from the crew. B'Ellana's confrontation with her father and her guilt are at the center here. That's interesting, but her initial "persecution" seems slightly less than overwhelming. It's OK I guess. Mostly, I was hoping for something else to happen outside of this story.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Shattered (2001)
Season 7, Episode 11
I Like the Concept
17 September 2018
As hard as it was to believe the possibility of a ship with time barriers, where characters pass through an find themselves in the same place at different times, I still thought it was fun. I agree, with some time and thought, it could have been great. Chakotay is the natural foil here because of his varying roles, from Maquis terrorist threat, to kindly first officer to Janeway. What we do get to see are glimpses of all seven seasons, used in a creative way.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Flesh and Blood: Part II (2000)
Season 7, Episode 10
Holograms Unit Part 2
17 September 2018
So, as we move to the second half of this rather average episode, the holograms, led by someone who turns out to be a religious nut, begin to do ugly things. Their encounters with the Hirogens have steeled them. They have decided to liberate all holographic entities from all ships and planets they encounter. The kicker is that even with their persecution ripe in their minds, they have no problem killing the innocent. The Doctor commits a treasonous act, setting much of this in motion. He also shoots his mouth off and gets B'Ellana kidnapped and used. The final scene with Janeway is interesting but pretty quick.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Flesh and Blood (2000)
Season 7, Episode 9
Holograms Unite Part 1
17 September 2018
OK. Since the Doc has his transmitter thing (which he seems to leave lying around like a pair of reading glasses) he has achieved a bit of humanity. But he is still a hologram with subroutines. Our hunter friends, the Hirogens, show up again. One of their holographic hunting grounds has left all but one of them dead. They have done a good job of programming and taken any restraints off. What they don't realize is that they have also allowed these things to evolve. Yes, but!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Nightingale (2000)
Season 7, Episode 8
He Is Given Way Too Much Responsibility
17 September 2018
I won't go into much detail. Once again our would be "Captain" fails to check out all the details before making decisions. While Voyager is idle having repairs done on her, Harry and others are in a shuttle, looking for dilithium. He encounters a race that seems to be peaceful after they are attacked. Watch and see.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Body and Soul (2000)
Season 7, Episode 7
New York Cheese Cake
16 September 2018
This is an episode that brings in a sense of humor. When Kim, Seven, and the Doc find themselves grabbed by a crew that hates holograms (photonics), they are put in the brig. The Doc, to keep from being discovered, becomes part of Seven. Their talents get them an active role on the ship, treating casualties and illnesses. There are some comic moments when the beautiful Seven exhibits the Doc's overbearing personality. The Captain of the ship begins to put moves on him/her. They play it well and it is quite entertaining.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Inside Man (2000)
Season 7, Episode 6
Paris Is Right
16 September 2018
These worm holes and channels that go from one quadrant to another are enticing to the Voyager crew. Put Barclay in charge and a hologram that misrepresents him and a trio of Ferengi and everything is potentially haywire. Once again, the crew completely falls for a con man and almost get themselves killed. Seven seems to be the desired prize. These episodes leave me a little cold.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Critical Care (2000)
Season 7, Episode 5
Medical Ethics Put to the Test
15 September 2018
A shyster kidnaps the Doc and sells him to a hospital ship. While on board he comes to realize that there is a hierarchical method of treating patients. The poor and infirm are in the red zone and are doomed, for the most part, while the "Blue" patients get elective surgeries and injections. The Doctor must deal with treating the weak, but in the process makes a costly mistake.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Repression (2000)
Season 7, Episode 4
Slightly Better Than Spock's Brain
15 September 2018
So many plot holes. Such a ridiculous premise. This two bit Manchurian Candidate plot goes nowhere. When we FINALLY get to the climax, most people would already be asleep. The old Maquis rebellion rears its head. Of course, Tuvok using only Vulcan evidence to solve a murder mystery (where no one has been murdered) is kind of interesting. I can't think of anything to say. Just awful.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Drive (2000)
Season 7, Episode 3
Boooooring!
15 September 2018
At no point did I have even the slightest interest in this epiode. I am so bored when Tom does his 1950's motor head stuff. Why not just play Fonzie in Happy Days. The other thing that is also incredibly boring is his relationship with B'Lanna. Their constant snuggling and shows of affection just become tiresome. I find them both tedious when they are together. Really weak episode.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Imperfection (2000)
Season 7, Episode 2
Excellent Acting/Touching Episode
15 September 2018
This is a really touching episode. The unflappable Seven is suddenly made aware of her mortality. She begins to have fears of leaving the earth unloved and worthless. Ichab is her salvation, but unfortunately she has quite the ego and falls into depression. For all practical purposes, she gives up. She can't ask for help because her Borg heritage is still holding on to her. The final scenes are very dramatic and uplifting.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Trek: Voyager: Unimatrix Zero: Part II (2000)
Season 7, Episode 1
How'd That All Happen?
14 September 2018
The Borg queen is bent on keeping things her way. It's interesting. She is really an individual, thinking pretty much for herself. When she is in combat with Janeway, it appears that her reasons are personal. She is at the center in decision making, hence, individual. This is a good episode with a lot of close calls. One advantage is that the Borg have enemies throughout the galaxy, and so finding comrades is not so hard. One problem with this series is the Doctor's ability to seemingly come up with devices and substances to counter almost anything.