Reviews

8,196 Reviews
Chance: A Madness of Two (2017)
Season 2, Episode 9
A Little Self Destructive
26 May 2019
D goes off on a tear, risking everything for the person he loves. That crazy DA is psychotic and sees Chance as his number one adversary. He is a killer like a shark with the emotionless eyes. Nicole is back and refuses to have anything to do with her mother. We have a sentencing hearing coming up and that will be a tipping point. Unfortunately, it doesn't look so good. Bring on #10.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chance: An Infant, A Brute or a Wild Beast (2017)
Season 2, Episode 8
Venom Filled Episode
26 May 2019
Everyone in this episode has an issue. There is not a smile to be had. D is off trying to save Lorena. Winter is nutty as a fruitcake and is in prison, being held. I wonder what's in it for Frank other than saving his butt. What did he hope to get from Winter. Does he get all the money? Then there's Nicole, in one of those outward bound places, being punished for being a victim and smacking that girl. Mom is a coward and a reactionary and doesn't look into her own issues. Chance has handed over possible DNA evidence that may implicate Frank. This Roller Coaster is about to come down. The whole thing is so dark. I really look forward to the final two episodes.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chance: Define Normal (2017)
Season 2, Episode 7
So Intense
26 May 2019
There are story lines all over the place. Winter is shown to have a partner who uses a psychotic childhood event to gain control of his empire as an advisor. He has a lot of skin in the game. Meanwhile, we see some of Winter's work from the past. Also, Chance's ex does something that she will regret. There is evidence against D that will have to be dealt with. Meanwhile, Frank is further asserting his hold over Winter. I can't wait to see how this all plays out.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chance: Treasures in Jars of Clay (2017)
Season 2, Episode 6
Till Death Do Us Part
26 May 2019
Winter is the ultimate psychotic. Chance is, for all practical purposes, a dreamer. For whatever reason, he has this ethic that Winter can be cured. In this episode, Winter confesses and names names. So he is to turn himself in and face a court that will probably place him in an institution for the criminally insane. But he is allowed to do this on his own. I don't buy Chance's argument about coercion. We have D facing off against his father who has been harassing him forever. And, we finally have the police coming for Nicole. This one is hard to believe because she is picked up like she is a serial killer.
Self Realization
26 May 2019
Chance is starting to have some symptoms of a beating. He was slugged by that guy with a sucker punch. We are always suspicious of his sense of reality. Winter is becoming more and more in his head, causing him to have a couple flip outs. His temper is hair trigger at this time. Nicole is trying to get things straightened out after her assault on that little snot. D is starting a relationship, but can we trust this? She comes up with what she says is Winter's DNA sample. D discovers a woman who is out to find him so his father can have him committed. Once again, a totally engaging episod.e
Trial (IV) (2016)
Obtuse
26 May 2019
I'm just left wanting a bit more. What are the motives? What are the underlying situations? How does war enter in? There are so many questions. I liked the young woman and wondered why she would put herself in this situation. Anyway, its a startling story but could have been more tightly drawn.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Catch-22: Episode #1.5 (2019)
Season 1, Episode 5
Sadness All Around
25 May 2019
Yossarian takes a trip to Rome with Milo. There, he finds a murder has been committed and he is the prime suspect. But the scattered craziness of the world he now inhabits causes him to be moved to a different realm. We find out that MIlo is getting stronger and stronger with his international trading. This is the Snowden episode where Yossarian, trying to keep a young soldier safe, realizes he has no control over war.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Catch-22: Episode #1.6 (2019)
Season 1, Episode 6
There Is Not Easy Answer
25 May 2019
As Milo goes on to run the campaign, not the military,Yossarian, who has had the experience with Snowden., dying in his arms, goes off the rails. He comes to realize that the world is badly flawed and that there is little hope trying to oppose it. He knows now that he must act as irrationally as his cohorts. After breaking all the rules, he is given a medal and previously he has been promoted to Captain for not reason other than covering up his contradictory activities.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Catch-22: Episode #1.4 (2019)
Season 1, Episode 4
Minderbinder in Charge
25 May 2019
As the military brass become more and more vicious (not just to Yossarian but his comrades), we start to realize that Milo is really the person running the war. He is the ultimate salesman and is creating a master corporation, feasting on both the allies and the enemy. I always get a kick out of those who find this book and story unrealistic. Of course it's unrealistic. It's a major parody with a punch-in-the-gut mentality. It is about people, trapped not just by their superiors but by the military handbook which contains the notorious Catch 22 which doesn't allow for anything but destruction of the soul. It was an anti-war book written around the Vietnam War. A war that was steeped in corruption and coverups.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Catch-22: Episode #1.3 (2019)
Season 1, Episode 3
Yossarian Is Not a Hero
25 May 2019
For those of you who don't sympathize with Yossarian because he enlisted are a little off base. Imagine that you took a job of some kind and when you signed on your job was defined. Once you started working, the bosses changed the rules and required you to work five times as hard. Add to that a part of your contract that says you can't quit. Catch 22 is about the cruelty of men who use their powers (giving nothing in return) and abuse the trust of their pilots and crews. Here Yo Yo is trying to gain a fair shake. He is not a coward. He has flown more missions than is even thought of with no fairness in sight.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Catch-22: Episode #1.2 (2019)
Season 1, Episode 2
Getting to Know You
25 May 2019
Yossarian portends to be the everyman. We are led into his world here. We begin to understand that to the generals and the powerful, men are mere cannon fodder. As long as the war is going well and PR is good, the loss of life and the horrible pain of going on extra missions satisfies their lust. We are also introduced to the commercial aspect of war as the outrageous Milo Minderbinder makes his plans known.
I.R.I.S. (2014)
Interesting to Look At but the Same Old Same Old
25 May 2019
Once again, governments have turned their surveillance technology over to artificial intelligence. Here, the master program, I.R.I.S. malfunctions (maybe) and the results become overwhelming. This has some high tech computer graphics working and it is well done. But nothing ground breaking.
Gorgeous Animation
25 May 2019
These are breath taking scenes of a family that is being dominated by evil. After the young girl blows out celebratory candles, her mother is taken away. But there is a solution for her. It is a wild fantasy that unveils itself and is completed in under four minutes.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chance: The Coping Mechanism (2017)
Season 2, Episode 4
The Circle Tightens but Winter is Still a Huge Threat
25 May 2019
There are several elements that are fascinating in this episode. First, Chance tries to reason with the parents of the girl with the broken nose. We get to see that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. He is furious that D decided to give his daughter advice on how to handle bullies. This leads to some serious conflict at the end of the episode. Chance decides to take Winter swimming in a cove and allows him to nearly drown. There are some interesting psychological things involved in his method. But the last scene brings up scary possibilities.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chance: The Flitcraft Parable (2017)
Season 2, Episode 3
It's Well Crafted and Satisfying....Mainly
24 May 2019
Chance realizes that his group has pushed the nut case philanthropist over the edge and he kills one of the members. There is a great scene in a diner where Chance explains to his prize pupil what could be causing him to exhibit unconventional behavior, without accusing him. Chance is now carrying guilt around. What is fascinating is that the attack on this guy ends up with using his OCD to stir him up. Excellent episode. Hugh Laurie's chiseled, emotive face is perfect for this character.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chance: A Very Special Onion (2017)
Season 2, Episode 2
What an Interesting Character!
24 May 2019
Hugh Laurie's "Chance" is a multitude of creative characteristics. He continues to evolve as he steels himself in his underground world. Meanwhile, he continues his practice. That cop, however, has got him involved with the sociopathic millionaire and he is proving to be even more dangerous than originally thought. It turns out that group therapy is feeding this monster. It's a real tangle of horrors predicated on the worst sides of human nature. We also have a subplot that involves the daughter.
Tolkien (2019)
The Writer: His Soul and HIs Work
24 May 2019
This is a film which is steeped in British reserve. J. R. R. Tolkien had the roots of fantasy in his blood, put forth by his mother who dies when he is young. She was the master storyteller, so ingrained in his psyche. There were dragons and supernatural beings, some from opera, some from folklore. But the movie is about his efforts to be true to himself and follow the path laid out for him. He wanted to be at Oxford, but his social status made him quite vulnerable. It was his creativity and linguistic skills that bought him a reprieve. We forget that historically, he is not just a popular author but an academic genius, one of history's greatest linguists. This is a gentle movie but it is punctuated with flashback while he fought in the Somme, one of the bloodiest incidents in the history of warfare. This is a very good film.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chance: Multiaxial System (2017)
Season 2, Episode 1
A Second Chance
24 May 2019
Chance and D are back at it. Chance is the pupil with the big time psychological skills. Chance begins to learn to handle himself. Remember at the beginning of the first season, he is a bit of a Casper Milquetoast. He goes from in over his head to managing pretty well. But his newfound persona becomes, at time, too much of a hair trigger. His daughter has put her finger on his evolution. D needs to rein him in or he will get himself killed. The first episode presents the new case. A philanthropist billionaire who has the adulation of everyone is probably responsible in some way for the deaths of several people. That cop that had Chance on the ropes earlier knows something about the incident of the last episode and is extorting our guy into doing some work for him.
How Can They Do a Second Season
23 May 2019
This is one of the most engaging series I've ever seen. I had so much to do and kept up the "just one more episode" bit. The twists and turns that take place in this one are remarkable. Rebecca's role in all this create a constant question mark for us. All those people hanging out at Keating's house, filled with fear and angst, is one of the most incredible scenes I've witnessed. How can a second season begin to match the moment to moment tension?
Amazing Story Telling
23 May 2019
All the factors are falling into place. The characters have been made to show their true selves. We have a case of a priest who is accused of murdering a fellow priest. He is conflicted with his confession not being admissible.. Meanwhile, all the events on the night of Lila's murder are revisited and Rebecca again knows things that are critical. One more to go.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How to Get Away with Murder: Mama's Here Now (2015)
Season 1, Episode 13
Better and Better
23 May 2019
As Annalise lies in bed feeling sorry for herself, her mother comes. She is a practical woman with real life experiences that are quite harsh. She is not about to let her daughter lie there, filled with self pity. Bonnie tries a case where a nurse is accused of rape and manages quite well after a bumpy start. As the murder case moves on, interesting things are afoot. There are some really fascinating visuals. And Rebecca is up to something.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How to Get Away with Murder: She's a Murderer (2015)
Season 1, Episode 12
Internal Combustion
23 May 2019
The bones have been found and the sister-in-law is on the prowl. She knows Annalise was complicit in the death of her brother and is pushing like crazy to have her pay for it. Of course, the guy was a murderer and a liar. He died because of his own violence, but, of course, none of that can be produced. There is also a connection to the mob that is not finished. Keating is falling apart and trying to maintain her composure in public. It's going to be a bumpy ride to the finish.
Psychology 101
23 May 2019
This episode, for all practical purposes, shows us the psychological harm done each of the conspirators. They range from pain and loneliness, to sleep deprivation, to family destruction. Sam's sister showed up at the end of the last episode, looking for her brother. She haunts Annilese, hanging around, talking to friends, on and on. This leads to quite a touching scene. The episode ends with a startling discovery. The writing on this show is so wonderful.
Enough Guilt to Go Around
23 May 2019
At the end of the previous episode, we realized that Prof. Keating found her husband lying in his own blood. She only shares this with one of the five and she respects their cover-up. But they are filled with angst and are afraid that the police knows a good deal more than they are letting on. Going forward, these issues are going to be dealt with.
A Masterful Connection
23 May 2019
Tremendous episode. All the little scenes in the woods are finally put chronologically and explain what the vignettes mean. Sam is finally confronted and given what for, but Keating shows her weaknesses again. All members of the cast receive equal treatment and the concluding scene is quite convincing. Of course, now there are other fish to fry because another whole issue is just commencing.