Reviews

8,398 Reviews
Likable
20 June 2019
An eleven year old girl who is playing a classic video game makes contact with a gaming expert. Except he is from at least 25 years ago. She has this conversation with him and they work things out. Neither of them realizes what milieu they are involved in.
Phoenix Run (2013)
Unpleasant and Nonsensical
20 June 2019
I could go to great lengths to evaluate this little film. The description pretty much says it all What it doesn't say is that there is no character development, there is no explanation of what happened, and there is nothing to explain the telekinesis. Just a lot of violence.
Not Outstanding
20 June 2019
What they tried to create here was someone's conception of a faster than light flight. But once that is cracked, there are aliens present. It is interesting and there is tension among the scientists. But the ending is about as syrupy and unfulfilling as it can be.
Relatively Dull
20 June 2019
A writer and another guy form a bond because of their love of UFO's. When Stevie is able to summon aliens, things get interesting. The problem is that we don't really see anything and the film goes nowhere. The characters are sort of fun, but beyond that, kind of a weak film.
Nice Shoes (2017 Video)
It Was a Hoot
20 June 2019
This is one of those things you must see because describing doesn't do it justice. First of all, there is a really cool musical track. Then we have references to all kinds of major media sci fi. You name it, there is something in there for you. This one really surprised me.
Endeavour: Pylon (2019)
Season 6, Episode 1
Remarkable Episode
20 June 2019
Endeavour Morse is now a police officer, having had his detective status taken from him. Thursday is angry with him but doesn't understand what went down. In this episode, a young girl is found dead in a field. The new chief, who is a shortsighted jerk, has his mind made up. There is a young man who has drug problems and was seen lurking about, therefore he is the only suspect. Morse sees through his pomposity, but has little power at first. There is going to be an interesting dynamic developing. Also, Thursday is conflicted because of a harsh decision he made years before. I wish there were more episode in this season.
Cradle (I) (2016)
Hidden Information
20 June 2019
This is the story of a young woman who is faced with challenges way beyond her years. Her father is keeping a serious secret from her and she must use every method at her disposal to get answers. Well done and quite engaging.
Dreadspace (2017)
A Decent Story of a Connection Between Two People
19 June 2019
A boy with a contentious family is forced to play a video game with his grandpa. He is resistant at first but as the game goes along there are some signs of caring. The problem for me is that I never really understood the game. If I were playing, it would take a lot of time to get the gist of it. Unfortunately, in a film it is there the first time, and that's it. Still, the old guy needs someone. So does the boy. This is the bridge.
Yes, Today! (2018)
Another Evil Company
19 June 2019
It makes you wonder how many people ended up some place from which they cannot return. These folks got the money. The person disappears. That's that. It was still quite amusing and I felt for the guy because he had a dream.
The Fringes (2018)
Who's In Charge?
19 June 2019
This is another more human story about someone who has played it safe until the big corporation easily pushes her out. She tries at first to get by quietly, but soon those around her begin to become suspicious. What she does get in the final sequence is dignity and purpose. Something the corporate powers never have.
Connected (V) (2017)
They May as Well Not Exist
19 June 2019
This is a setting where people no long have any will. They are "connected," which means a machine does all their thinking for them. Everything is bone white, their clothes, their homes, their furniture. A boy begins tor realize that he and his parents are basically zombies. It's quite sad and hopeless.
Perfectly Stupid
19 June 2019
I don't know what to say. First of all, the technology would have to be so bizarre to start with that something like this could never exist. I suppose it's a bit of a cynical view of the laziness and avarice of modern society that we would turn our kids over to avatars who then control us. And ulterior motives!
Rather Confusing
19 June 2019
This is a love story about a father and son. But it goes beyond that. We have the invention and training of an artificial intelligence, but more has been added. Both men in this film (what I mean is in their respective settings) live in societies where evil prevails most of the time. This is clever, but it is lacking in enough of a foundation for the viewer to understand.
A Fine and Private Place
19 June 2019
Two people carry on a romance where neither is actually corporeal. At least for most of the film. Love conquers all, I guess, even a fractured ethos. It's interesting and we want them to get together. But there are huge roadblocks.
Rememberer (2017)
Interesting Memories
19 June 2019
I'm not sure what was real and what was stuck in a brain center somewhere. There was obviously a war once, but the survivors have seen it slip from consciousness. One woman gets a chance to see what a normal world would look like, but did she actually see anything. The important thing is that as barren as her world is, she does remember.
The Adept (2015)
Well Done, But...
19 June 2019
I suppose I should accept that many of these short films don't bother to give us a result. A couple of researchers begin to tap into some sort of power that comes as they work on a type of quantum theory. Soon they are levitating things, making cards stop in mid-air. But there's a price to be paid. Unfortunately, there will be no sequel, and again the writers left us hanging.
Preset (2018)
Only a Part of a Story
19 June 2019
This is like another practice for bigger fish. An older soldier has been accused of careless behavior in a bar where someone began firing. It takes place in a kind of future Korea. There is nothing that is resolved.
Cute, but Too Much
19 June 2019
It's a nice little story. Other than the suspension of disbelief, it's just a kid story. The children are cute and they grow to be men of humor and kindness. The special effects are reasonable.
Solution Worse Than Problem
19 June 2019
A man comes home to his lonely apartment. He has been badly beaten by a man who has stolen an apple from him. The government has been packaging food for mass consumption in an overpopulated world with scarce supplies. But he makes a weird discovery.
Once Again, We Have to Guess
19 June 2019
A man goes to see his girlfriend. She is not expecting him. When he sees a man in the room, he goes nuts and kills him. He then relives the day and does the same thing. What transpires is kind of an old science fiction staple having to do with a whole different form of punishment.
Prospect (2014)
Competition!
19 June 2019
A man and his daughter are on a remote planet collecting some substance that is worth a fortune. Unfortunately, others have the same idea. When the father is attacked it gets complicated for the young woman. This is an OK episode, but no great shakes. Kind of a standard sci fi plot.
Frankie (I) (2011)
I Never Really Understood What He Was Fighting Against
18 June 2019
A nerdy watchmaker works on a device that will stop time. This will allow him to accomplish something he failed to do in the past. He has an adversary that is shadowing his every move, ready to pounce and steal his materials. I wish I knew a bit more about what his goals were.
CXL (2016)
Metaphorical
18 June 2019
This film is about a 140 year old woman, kept alive long after a normal life span by machines. The problem is that she has been robbed of everything that is poignant and dear and is now just there for her birthday. The title, I realized, is Roman numerals. Her visitor are crass and lack understanding. She is a victim. The final scene is quite touching.
Dealing with Depression
18 June 2019
I had some trouble following this. Who are these people and what is going on with them? They are steeped in sadness and day to day despair. The young woman is losing her grip. But we find out eventually what is going on. One thing for sure, human beings are not a simple lot. Well crafted and gut wrenching little film.
They Would Have Torched Goldilocks
18 June 2019
This is predicated on bears learning to use fire and sitting around campfires. It's about a lonely man whose mother is in a nursing home. It's about respect and love for others. The bears are merely a vehicle to an end. There is so much charm here. It's another case where we take away the dignity of older people because we judge their thoughts and actions.