Reviews

3,124 Reviews
D.E.B.S. (2004)
It's so bad that it almost became good
17 September 2018
This film tells the story of four elite agents who are about to graduate from their tough training.

Just ten minutes in, I already realised just how bad this film is. It is a low budget B movie, and just how on earth did it get a wide release in theatres? The plot is horrendous, the lines are ridiculous, and the whole film is just laughably bad. There are times that the film was so bad that I burst out laughing, but there was no laughter intended by the filmmakers. The fact that three of the four DEBS have only a few film credits after this probably says something about this film.
Sollers Point (2017)
What's the point
17 September 2018
This film is about a young man who is just released from prison.

The story is basically non existent, as it only shows the mundane life of a young man who has not got much to live for. It shows him driving from one place to another very frequently, which is rather unexciting. Most of the camera work is from afar, which adds to the detached feeling between the viewers and the characters. I'm afraid I found this film very boring, and I don't quite get the point behind the story, or indeed the point of the story
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Arizona (2018)
A surprisingly good dark comedy
17 September 2018
This film tells the story of a disgruntled man who goes to the estate agent to complain about his house purchase. Things soon spiral out of control.

The plot is actually very suspenseful, and I just could not figure out how it's going to end. It is engaging and captivating. It is great to see many famous faces in it as well. It exceeded all my expectations, and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Good frist half
16 September 2018
This film starts off engaging, as the judge is presented with a dilemma that would spark a controversy whichever way she decides to do. The courtroom drama is interesting and makes me want to find out what is next. However, the second half of the film is just really strange and uninteresting. It is far fetched, overly sentimental and plainly unbelievable. The second half spoils the experience for me.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Quiet Place (2018)
Impressive, suspenseful and thrilling
16 September 2018
This film tells the story of a family who struggles to survive from monsters who attack anything that causes a sound.

The plot is suspenseful and thrilling. There is much threat throughout the film, and makes you hold your breath. I am impressed by the film, especially it contains almost no audible dialog. I look forward to the sequel.
Max Payne (2008)
A hybrid of action and fantasy
16 September 2018
This film tells the story of a detective who teams up with the underworld boss to investigate the murders of their loved ones.

I thought it was an action film, but it is more a fantasy film. The plot is very fantasy and I got all confused by it. There is some action, but it is more of a background thing. The ending tries to connect the two elements, but I still find it far fetched. This interesting hybrid of action and fantasy will find its audience, but it is not really for me.
Good for a rainy day
16 September 2018
This film tells the story of two high school guys who help each other out to get the girl of their dreams.

"Whatever It Takes" is probably a good watch for the number of now famous faces, including James Franco and Aaron Paul. The story itself is a little annoying and not very convincing. You can guess the plot right from the beginning as well. Overall, it is good for a rainy day, but don't expect too much.
Ride Along 2 (2016)
Made me burst out laughing
15 September 2018
This film is a light hearted comedy about two policemen who goes to Miami to investigate a crime.

What I like is that, Kevin Hart's mischievous character can potentially be annoying, but he turns out to be really funny without being annoying. There were quite a few points which made me burst out laughing. I really enjoyed it.
Front Cover (2015)
A romantic comedy with a drama twist
15 September 2018
This film tells the story of a American Chinese fashion editor who is tasked with the transformation of a Chinese star.

It is a good story that combines romantic comedy with drama elements about the traditional family values of Chinese culture. I find the characters a bit stereotypical, especially the Chinese star's entourage. The two leads are likable and they are close to real life. Their experiences can be related to easily. I enjoyed watching it.
Adonis (2017)
Warrants repeated viewing
11 September 2018
This film tells the story of a young actor who becomes a commercial sex worker for the male clientele.

The story is told in a non-linear manner, and covers many years of the life of Adonis. Full concentration is needed to understand the story. There is plenty of full male nudity, and there are many explicit sex scenes. The sex scenes are there to make the film commercial, but they do not distract the deep subplots about the meaning of life, reincarnation and karma. It is definitely a film to ponder upon, and repeated viewings are required to fully grasp the plot.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I couldn't get into the story
11 September 2018
This film tells the story of a woman who goes to an Indian Territory up paint the people there. She develops a bond with the people, and begin to fight for their rights.

I find the film rather slow and not so engaging. The bond between the two leads is rather unconvincing, and I couldn't get into the story. It is great to watch Sam and Jessica on screen though.
Loving Pablo (2017)
A captivating story
11 September 2018
This film tells the life of Pablo Escobar and his mistress Virginia.

The story is captivating because it is intense and suspenseful. There is a constant threat of danger to all the characters involved. Many people lose their lives, yet fortunately the film is not too graphically gory. I feel sorry for the characters, and what happened to them.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thoroughbreds (2017)
Quite a captivating story
11 September 2018
This film tells the friendship of two high school girls, whose unlikely friendship lead to an unlikely result.

Initially it appears that one girl is antisocial and the other girl is normal, but it is clear from the ending that the seemingly normal girl is actually way more psychopathic than the seemingly antisocial girl. It is a cautionary tale of how people are not always as they appear. I find it a captivating story.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mario (I) (2018)
Mario's joy and pain
9 September 2018
This film tells the story of two up and coming professional football players falling in love.

I loved this film because it tells a sweet romance, and also a very tough choice. The choice is very real because homophobia in professional sports is a well known phenomenon. Yet, it is a topic that is rarely touched upon in films. The actor playing Mario is a very good actor, because he displays emotions through his eyes, face and body. He convincingly tells his pain without the need for any words. "Mario" is an effective film that brings me to feel his joy and pain. I definitely recommend this film.
A pleasant surprise
9 September 2018
This film tells the experience of a young woman who is sent to a gay conversion therapy camp.

It is a good story that brings the harm of such therapy into a wider audience. The characters are very real, and their experiences are convincingly told. The acting is good as well, which is a pleasant surprise, as most of them are young actors and actresses which are unknown to me. The audience laughed many times in the cinema too, because the things that go on in the camp is just so ridiculous. I am very glad that I saw it in the cinema.
I Spy (2002)
It's funny but a bit annoying too
9 September 2018
This film tells the story of two people who were tasked with stopping a secret sale of a stolen airplane in Budapest.

The film is funny, but Kelly is quite annoying too. His ego is very big, and is quite overwhelming for me. If he's a little more restrained, I would have liked the film more.
A touching story
8 September 2018
This film tells the story of a high school guy who texts a big girl, thinking she is the hot cheerleader.

I liked the story because it tells a mean cheerleader girl befriending another girl she would not normally hang out with. It emphasises that people have different strengths, and we have to really get to know a person in order to find out their strengths and beauty. I find the ending rather touching.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aardvark (2017)
A poor therapist
2 September 2018
This film tells the story of a therapist who tries to help a client, but stumbles upon more problems than anticipated.

The story is not very interesting or captivating. I find it rather unconvincing and plain. Emotional crises or climaxes are absent in the film, making it rather uneventful. Frankly, I lost all interest in it half way through.
Skyscraper (2018)
Got my palms real sweaty
1 September 2018
This film tells the story of a man who tries to save his family from a burning tower.

The combination of heights and the raging fire creates a lot of tension and adrenaline rushes. There was a scene involving a crane that made my jump from my seat! The story doesn't make too much sense, but it got my palms really sweaty.
Superbad (2007)
Impressive
31 August 2018
Normally I don't like this kind of film about teenagers trying to act like adults, but this film really works. It is funny, it has brotherhood, friendship and romance all in one. It is impolite at times but it is not over the top. It doesn't feel annoying or stupid either, which is actually quite impressive.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An emotional ending, but...
31 August 2018
Maybe it's because I don't know a thing about firefighting. I don't understand most of the plot, as the explaining isn't so explicit. I don't understand why the firefighters spend most of the time away from the fire, and when they are in the fire, it's the fire they have set alight. They show scenes of strategizing, but there isn't any explanation for laymen like me. The ending is emotional, but I had to rewatch the last twenty minutes because I didn't understand why and how they suddenly got engulfed by flames.

I definitely believe that firefighters are heroes. I just think that this film doesn't portray their heroic acts to the full extent that can be understood by the public.
A mystifying bore
31 August 2018
I find the story very poorly explained, and the pace is very slow. It is not helped by the characters speaking softly in a rambling manner, on the other hand ambient noises are loud. Unfortunately I just don't understand the plot. It could have been a biblical epic, but it ends up being a huge mystifying bore. I didn't get anything out of the film, and it is sad that the film became a waste of my time.
Ocean's Eight (2018)
Star power
31 August 2018
This film tells the story of eight women collaborating to steal a valuable necklace.

The film is good because it features many actresses that I like. The story itself is full of conveniences, so one must not analyse it deeply as plot holes will start to appear.
Hannah (I) (2017)
Dull and boring
30 August 2018
This film tells the story of a woman, whose life is filled with rejection and loneliness.

The story is mundane, as it focuses on the daily life of the woman. It has a lot of scenes featuring her walking, cooking, and doing housework. It doesn't have a lot of dialog, so not much happens. Indeed, the film is very dull and boring. Perhaps it's a film to be felt, but I couldn't really feel it.
Shock and Awe (2017)
A tale of unwavering persistence
29 August 2018
This film tells the story of several journalists who defies popular opinion and official viewpoints. They date to question the facts to find the real truth.

It is an engaging story of a seemingly impossible task. I feel empathic towards the journalists' lone fight against the masses. I admire their unwavering persistence.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.