Reviews

3,278 Reviews
Enjoyable
21 April 2019
This film tells the story of a mother who decides to investigate the disappearance of another mother.

The story is a little far fetched and sounds unlikely, but it works because of its light tone. Even though it is not a laugh out loud type of comedy, it still entertains and is enjoyable.
The Silence (2019)
Deserves a passing grade
21 April 2019
This film tells the story of a world where scary creatures hunt their prey by sound.

It is rather unfortunate that this film is released on Netflix so soon after the similarly themed "Bird Box". "Bird Box" is superior mainly because of the intense suspense. In "The Silence", it is rather annoying that people still don't stay silent despite the need to. I still can't get over the fact that they bring their dog with them when they escape. The instinct of a dog is to bark, and the family ought to have realised that. Another point is that the strange people at the end are not properly explained. Overall, I think it deserves a passing grade, but it could have been even better.
A heartwarming comedy
20 April 2019
This film tells the story of a couple who decides to adopt three children.

The story is funny, heartwarming and just makes you want to watch it. Things can be a bit exaggerated at times, and yet it still manages to be believable. Hopefully this film encourages people to share their love with children who needs a home.
Serenity (2019)
A captivating story
20 April 2019
This film tells the story of a man who has to make a difficult choice, when his ex-wife turns up to ask for a transaction.

The story is pretty engaging, and the huge twist is just unexpected. The scenery is beautiful, there are lots of eye candy and the plot is quite clever as well. Suspense is maintained once the twist happens, and it captivated me. I liked it.
A touching story
20 April 2019
This film tells the story of a man who lives in a fantasy world to cope with his trauma.

I find the story very engaging. Mark is a character that is likable and sympathetic. I feel for Mark's pain, and I empathise with his situation. The dolls are very life like, and I wonder if they are computer generated from real actors and actresses. The ending is very touching, and I am moved to tears. I enjoyed watching this film.
A fun horror adventure
19 April 2019
This film tells the story of a fancy boarding school that is terrorised by subterranean monsters.

The story is a bit slow to start with, but once it gets going, it really goes. There is much gore, but it is done in a way that makes you laugh. The jokes are quite funny, and there are several times that make me laugh out loud. I enjoyed this fun horror adventure.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's horrid
19 April 2019
This film is a collage of segments of people whose lives intersect in Berlin.

With this many big names, it is a surprise that the film is allowed to be a horrid mess. Just the first segment alone is enough to make me lose interest in the whole film. It is a bizarre short about a man and a GPS system, and it is just way too strange to be likable. The subsequent segments get no better, not even the one with Helen Mirren and Keira Knightley. The Berlin protrayed in the film is an unattractive dump, and it does not inspire any romantic feelings. Fortunately, there is one segment that is good, which is the puppet show one. It gives warmth and radiates attraction, which is the only segment that sticks to romantic love in Berlin.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Perfect Date (I) (2019)
A thoroughly enjoyable romantic comedy
19 April 2019
This film tells the story of a young man who goes on a date with a young woman because he is paid to do so.

The story is obvious and is predictable right from the start, but it is just so sweet and enjoyable. The process of getting to the inevitable end is fun and enjoyable. The two leads are the teenagers next door, because they are so relatable in every way. I enjoyed this romantic comedy thoroughly.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Last Laugh (I) (2019)
Hope and friendship shining through
6 April 2019
This film tells the story of two old guys who goes on a comedy tour.

The story is engaging, the Jones are good and I line the characters in the film. Even though there's a sad subplot, the film still maintains a light atmosphere, with hope and friendship shining through. I enjoyed the film.
Pretty sweet
5 April 2019
This film tells the story of a high school girl who gets into a tricky situation after her secret love letters are sent out.

I really like this film because it is pretty sweet. The characters are likable and the story is very relatable.
Unicorn Store (2017)
Steadily improves as the film goes on
5 April 2019
This film tells the story of a woman who hangs on to her childhood imaginary unicorn.

The film starts off rather slow, and Brie Larson is rather wooden. As the true point of the plot is gradually revealed, the film steadily improves. The story is better, the acting is dramatically improved too. The ending scene is the best, and is worth the 90 minute wait for it.
10 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shazam! (2019)
Electrifying
5 April 2019
The poster of the film looks rather frivolous to me, so I do was Connelly blown away by how good the film is. The story is very good, particularly because of the strong emotional backbone in the story. The visuals are spectacular, the humour is really good and the characters are likable. The whole cinema really enjoyed it.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A story of dilemmas
1 April 2019
This film tells the dramatised story of the hijacking incident in Entebbe.

I think the film does well because it does not beat around the bush. It gets right into the story, and wastes no time in showing the hijack. It also shows the dilemmas faced by the politicians and the hijackers. I think it is an engaging film.
A good story
31 March 2019
This film tells the story of two ex-rangers who are asked to hunt down two serial killers.

It is an engaging story. Good production, good story, good acting. I enjoyed it.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than expected
31 March 2019
This film tells the story of a woman who is stuck in a time loop.

"Happy Death Day 2U" is entertaining and lighthearted. There are quite a few differences from the first film, I think, so that it doesn't feel like a total rehash of the first. I like the emotional element regarding the mother as well. It is better than I expected, and I enjoyed it.
Donnybrook (2018)
Super slow violent action film
31 March 2019
This film tells the story of two men who struggle to make ends meet. They turn to a big fight to earn a big prize.

The story is quite confusing to start with, as characters are not introduced. After figuring out who is who, it seems I can get into the story. But no. The pace is super slow, and the long slowly moving shots are just never ending. There is a shot where a young girl walk back and forth in a park for a minute. There is another shot of the boy walking up to a house to take a bicycle for a minute. These scenes are very out of place for a violent action film. In the end, I lost all interest in the film.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mid90s (2018)
Not my thing
24 March 2019
This film tells the story of a young boy who befriends some friends from a skateboard shop. The film looks really real, as if viewers are next to the characters, looking at their everyday lives from really close. However, I find the pace really slow, and the plot is rather thin. This type of real films, such as this, "The Florida Project" and "Eighth Grade" aren't my thing.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Glacial
24 March 2019
This film tells the story of an American photographer, whose Belgian husband kills himself with a gun. She struggles to find out why he kills himself.

The story could have been interesting, but the pace is super super slow. It moves so slowly that even potentially adrenaline filled scenes become boring. The storytelling doesn't make you want to find out what is happening, and doesn't captivate the viewers. It is a pity, because it has good production, but the story isn't told well.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Escape Room (I) (2019)
Surprisingly intense
23 March 2019
This film tells the story of a group of six people entering a deadly escape game.

The story is really intense. The billiard room scene makes my palms sweat like there's no tomorrow, which is a very rare occurrence. It is reminiscent of "The Cube", only better. However, the ending from the big room onwards makes little sense, and is full of plot holes. If the film just stopped at the point when the person enters the big room, it would have been even better.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Us (2019)
Intense, until the final scene
23 March 2019
This film tells the story of a family who becomes hunted by an identical looking family.

The film has much suspense and thrill. The action keeps on coming, and you really want to find out what is next. It all is intense and engaging, until the final scene shatters everything. The final scene seems to be a twist, but it makes the whole plot turn up side down to the point of being senseless and a massive confusion.
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intense, action packed and thrilling
13 March 2019
This film tells the story of five ex-agents who robs a drug lord in South America.

The story is really good. It combines so many elements into one film. It is half heist, half survival, and then has many extra thrills thrown on top of it. The production is great, the locations are beautiful and the plot is simply very good. It is thrilling, action packed and maintains its intensity throughout the film. It is a very pleasant surprise that surpassed any of my expectations.
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kursk (2018)
An engaging tale of hope and desperation
10 March 2019
It tells the story of 23 survivors on a Russian submarine, and how the rescue mission is handled by the government. It is a sad story, which makes it even more engaging. It is an emotional rollercoaster that takes you to a hopeful up, then a desperate down. The process is then repeated, and tears are likely to fall from viewers' eyes.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Mercy (2018)
Could have been a good film
9 March 2019
This film tells the story of an amateur sailor who attempts to be the first to circumnavigate without stopping.

The story could have been engaging, touching and captivating, but it ends up being none of these. I don't mind the slow pace, but the thing the bothers me is the lack of suspense, thrill or any type of emotion. There are really only that many minutes that I can watch Colin Firth using a bucket to get water overboard. Even supposedly dangerous scenes such as a treacherous storm feels plain and dull. There is little portrayal of impact of events at sea, such as the impact of water in the boat or the hole in the body that leaks water. The journal could have been a tool to fill the viewers in by himself saying what he is writing, but that has not been put into good use.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sending the wrong message to children
9 March 2019
This film tells the story of a family whose lives are changed after the arrival of a mysterious nanny.

I know it's a children's film, and it's a fantasy film that has no truth in it. However, I am persistently annoyed and even offended by the plot. Mary Poppins repeatedly lies to the children, denying facts and negating truths , which are all very detrimental to the psychological growth of the children. A scene where the girl says it's better not to tell Mary about the scarf on the vase is the perfect example of learned helplessness, meaning that the children have already resigned to the fact that telling the truth is of no use because it will not be believed. The plot is sending the wrong message to children. Hence, I cannot say I enjoyed the film.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Captivating story and great visuals
7 March 2019
The story is captivating, and keeps me interested thoroughly. I didn't see the plot twists coming. There's a good mix of comedy, action and thrill. The visuals are excellent as well. The cat is really funny, and plays an integral role in the whole cinematic universe. I wouldn't have guessed it!
23 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.