Reviews

3,395 Reviews
What's the point of the story
17 August 2019
This film tells the story of a young man who goes to extreme lengths to get his hands on some letters that are rumoured to exists.

The film has a thin story, and hence nothing much happens. The ending doesn't make much sense, because he could have what he wanted but he blew it. And then, viewers are left to wonder what the whole point is with the story.
Relatable and believable
17 August 2019
This film tells the story of a man who has decisions to make regarding his love life.

The story is relatable and believable. Even though the four people are all doing something that isn't right, there is just no way for you to dislike them. I would love the ending to be different though.
Scary and unnerving
17 August 2019
This film tells the story of a ghost who is attached to a family for their two children.

The plot is simple but it's suspenseful and effective. It's scary and unnerving. I enjoyed watching it.
Dull and slow
17 August 2019
This film tells the story of a young man whose grandfather built a house in San Francisco.

Honestly, I didn't know what I watched. The plot is so thin that it basically is almost nonexistent. The pace is super slow, and the whole film is just really dull. The film seems to be testing the limits of the viewers.
The Intruder (I) (2019)
A gripping thriller
17 August 2019
This film tells the story of a couple who buys a house, but the house comes with something else.

The story is simple but effective. It is gripping and keeps me on the edge of my seat most of the time. It is a gripping thriller that makes me a little scared to buy a second hand property!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A beautiful and heart wrenching film
17 August 2019
This film tells the story of an old couple going on a spontaneous road trip.

The story is unexpectedly captivating and really beautiful. It tells the stress of being a carer for someone with dementia, and how horrible it is for dementia to steal a person away. There are many really impressive and thought provoking dialogues, which stick in my mind. I recommend this beautiful and heart wrenching film wholeheartedly.
It's better than expected
17 August 2019
I remember not liking the first film at all, so this sequel is a pleasant surprise. It is very cute and fun for children. It has got great adventures and thrills for kids, while it has got things adults can take home too. The subplot about finding courage speaks to both children and adults. I liked this film, and it is better than expected.
The Prodigy (2019)
Intense
14 August 2019
This film tells the story of a young boy who is gifted but behaves erratically.

The story is pretty intense, and it keeps me guessing how it is going to end. The child actor is very good in the alternation of delivering a chilling look and a cute look. I think this thriller is worth watching.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a captivating and intense film
14 August 2019
This film tells the story of a Russian ballet dancer who defected in France during the cold war.

I can't quite believe how good this film is. The story is intense and captivating, even if you don't know about Rudi or about ballet. The dances portrayed are beautiful, the leading actors are great to look at too. The airport scene is so intense that I watched it several times. I also particularly like the fact that Clara Sant helped Rudi so much, without expecting anything in return. I enjoyed every bit of this film, and I strongly recommend it.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An enjoyable watch
14 August 2019
This film tells the story of a college girl who tries compensated dating to get inspiration for her column.

The story is actually quite good. It strikes the right balance between entertainment and questioning the morality of her actions. It is light enough and yet still treat this as a serious subject. I enjoyed it a lot.
The Tale (2018)
A painful story that needs to be told
11 August 2019
This film tells the story of a woman who realises what happened to her when she was a teenager.

It is a story that has a lot of impact on the viewer because of the disturbing subject matter. The story is engaging, and the portrayal of the grooming process is very detailed. It is a sad story, but it is a story that needs to be told, so that people will be vigilant if it happens again.
The Mustang (2019)
Quite touching
11 August 2019
This is a film about a horse training program for the inmates.

It is a great thing that there is a program that teaches inmates new skills. It also teaches compassion and responsibilities. Such qualities shine through in the film. I find the transformation of Roman rather touching.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A light hearted comedy
11 August 2019
This film tells the story of two men who go on a road trip together.

It is a light hearted comedy, as events portrayed are a little exaggerated. It is still an enjoyable comedy, especially because of the number of recognisable faces.
A special film
11 August 2019
This film tells the story of two traders who tries to beat time by speeding up information travel.

The story is engaging and makes you want to know what happens next. The two main characters are quite likable, and I find myself rooting for them. The way the story ends leaves me with a tinge of sadness, which makes this film special.
The Public (2018)
It speaks to the collective humanity and morality
11 August 2019
This film tells the story of a group of homeless people who refuses to leave the public library during a cold spell.

The story of fantastic, as it captivates and engages me throughout. It is human, it is pure compassion, and it exposes the horrifying bureaucracy of the authorities. To me, or to the average citizen, letting homeless people stay in a warm place seems like the right thing to do. The story speaks to the collective humanity and morality, thereby making the film very effective. The film really deserves to be seen.
Dull and offensive
10 August 2019
This film tells the story of a young woman who meets a guy on the day before her deportation.

There is simply not enough material to fill up ninety minutes. The film is slow, dull and the film really drags on. I watched it at double the speed, and it was just bearable. Another thing that really bugs me is that the supposedly Korean protagonist is not even Asian. He clearly does not look Asian. It is as offensive as Emma Stone playing an Asian character in "Aloha".
The Haunting (1999)
You only need to watch the last thirty minutes
10 August 2019
This film tells the story of a scientific study that goes very wrong.

The first 1.5 hours lack suspense or thrill. The scene just takes too long to set up, and by the time the real scares happen it's already too late. Just watch the last thirty minutes, and skip the beginning 1.5 hours.
The Professor (2018)
Unexpectedly good
7 August 2019
This film tells the story of a professor who learns that he has only months to live.

To be honest, Johnny Depp has not been in a good film for ten years. I have no expectations, and hence I am pleasantly surprised by how good this film is. The story is touching, inspirational and sends a message without being preachy. It just touches you, thereby making you feel and agree with its message. Johnny Depp's character is likable, and makes you empathise with him. I am glad that I watched this film.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Hustle (2019)
Enjoyable
7 August 2019
This is a comedy about two con artists working together to make an even bigger scheme.

I was thoroughly entertained by it. I thought the plot was funny, the jokes were funny. The beautiful locations and sunny weather certainly helped as well. The final two twists were unexpected as well. I enjoyed it a lot.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Dirt (2019)
Very enjoyable
6 August 2019
I confess that I don't know any of Motley Crue's songs, but I still find the from captivating. The characters are are unique and interesting, and they just draw you in. The performances are great, and I find myself looking the songs too. I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this film.
The Souvenir (2019)
Horrendous
4 August 2019
This film tells the story of a film student who has an unreliable boyfriend.

Just five minutes in, I already found the film very boring. There is little story. Even if there was a story, it was told in a really boring way. There were shots that meant nothing, such as the guy going into the kitchen scrubbing, or Tilda Swinton going into the kitchen seemingly to work on the oven. These scenes told nothing, and weren't followed up. Scenes were mostly static, and the contents were very mundane. I found it horrendous.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much funnier than expected
3 August 2019
This film tells the story of the birds and the pigs uniting to combat against a common enemy.

I have to say this film is way funnier than I expected. The characters are cute, the jokes are funny, and there is actually a sense of adventure and captivation as well. The film is a light-hearted, a great brain off watch.
25 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Mountain (II) (2018)
Too artistic and very dull
3 August 2019
This film tells the story of a young man who gets a job as the assistant for a psychiatrist.

The film is very very slow, but that does not bother me. Just a few minutes in, I can tell the director and cinematographer work very hard to make each scene aesthetically beautiful. However, there is very little plot. As the film progresses, I get increasingly lost. The last fifteen minutes is inexplicable, and the five minute monologue in French (which is not subtitled) confuses me even further. Another point which I dislike is Tye Sheridan's constant same expressionless expression. I see why he acts this way, but almost all the psychiatric patients are more interesting than this protagonist. Overall, I find this film too artistic, inaccessible and very dull.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What an incredible short animation
1 August 2019
This film tells the story of a TV set that is abandoned in a scrap yard.

The story is powerful, and incredibly moving. It manages to take you through many different emotions in a short space of time, from hopes, disappointment, friendship, guilt, care and love. It is amazing how the protagonist connect with viewers, making viewers feel as one with the protagonist. The empathy it generates is so powerful. I'm left dumbfounded by this incredible animation.
A suspenseful story
1 August 2019
I find this story captivating and very suspenseful. There's just no way to guess which way the story will go and how it would end. The production is very good, sets are stylish and the wardrobe is great as well. And there's a lot of star power too. There's just so much to like in this film.