Reviews

3,479 Reviews
So she has to get across town
16 November 2019
Izzy has to get across town to tell her ex boyfriend something. And she makes an epic journey. The most engaging scene is the one when Virginia challenges Izzy to tell something to Virginia's husband. It's a pity that this subplot isn't followed up or expanded. Izzy's journey is certainly eventful, and makes an interesting watch.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intense and enjoyable even for a non racing fan
16 November 2019
I have no interest in racing, yet I was still entranced by the captivating races. The film is not just about speed, but about brotherhood, determination and conscience. It's about telling a great story that makes you root for the character in question. I thoroughly enjoyed the film, even though I am not a racing fan at all.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underused stars
14 November 2019
This film is a number of shorts that examines different aspects of the characters' lives.

I guess I never really cared for a film consisting of unconnected short stories. There are some shorts that are good, namely the first two. The first short has a plot that is bound to connect with the viewers. The third and fourth shorts don't really connect with me, and the remainder are just rather plain. There are loads of stars, but they seem underused. After watching the film, I don't think I really got anything out of it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The good side of humanity
14 November 2019
This film tells the story of a man with Down syndrome, who is determined to meet his wrestling hero and become a professional wrestler.

The story is a touching journey of a man fighting against all odds, and really live his dream. The people around him enable his dream, and this process is proof of the good side of humanity.
The Farewell (I) (2019)
I found it tedious
14 November 2019
This film explores the cultural difference between Chinese and American cultures towards grave illnesses.

The Chinese culture is portrayed well, and hence there were times I felt unable to breathe. The pace is slow, the characters are nagging and the film is just not to interesting in general. I found it tedious and cold not wait for it to end.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A glamorous popcorn action film
14 November 2019
I really enjoyed this film! It is glamorous, seductive, sexy and funny all in one. The actors and actresses are beautiful, the sets are beautiful, the dance sequence in the party is great, and the action is good as well. The plot even twists and turns, and keeps you guessing. I think it is a really fun popcorn film. I enjoyed it a lot.
40 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really fun and enjoyable
13 November 2019
This film tells the story of a new couple who goes to seven weddings in a year.

The film is just so sweet and fun! There is just every element in it to make it work. There is a pretty girl, beautiful clothes, upbeat music, dancing, parties, and the obligatory gay best friend. The weddings adds to the main leads' romance, rather than distract, which is quite a feat. I enjoyed watching this very much.
Dark but funny
13 November 2019
This film tells the story of two friends, who has to face the consequences of their wild night out.

The scene is set pretty quickly, and the complicated situation faced by the two main characters are very well portrayed. The story is dark, but the tone of the film is light. The film is funny, but not disrespectful of Dick Long. It is quite a surprising for me to like a dark comedy, and I liked it.
Avoid at all cost
13 November 2019
Despite Anna Kendrick's presence, I find this film rather unwatchable. This film tells an unbelievable story which is offensive and just plain horrid. The characters are not likable, the plot is hateful and the so called comedy just is not funny at all. Avoid at all cost.
Surprisingly good
12 November 2019
James Franco has been in a lot of indie films of dubious quality, so I had little expectations before I watched it. And I have to say this film far exceeded by expectations. I can actually say that it is a good film.

The story is good, as it makes viewers think just why the film is called "The Pretenders". Just as I thought I figured it out, there is a twist that really surprises me. Then there's another twist. Wow.

Try to watch it if you can find it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Nightingale (I) (2018)
Engaging and convincing
12 November 2019
This film tells the story of a woman who seeks revenge in Australia two hundred years ago.

This is a very dark story, and is eerily engaging. Her experiences are highly traumatic, and there is just no way viewers can be immune to tears. I find myself rooting for her, and hoping her to get what she wants. It is a really good story, and acting by the lead characters is very convincing too.
Racing in the rain
11 November 2019
This film tells the story of a race car driver from the perspective of a dog.

The driver's life story is quite touching. The emotions are portrayed well, and I find myself hoping the driver will emerge victorious. Since I am not a fan of films with talking animals, I didn't quite enjoy the film as much as I should have. It would have been a great drama.
The Kill Team (2019)
A battle of morality
11 November 2019
This film tells the story of a young soldier who battles with himself on whether to follow the dubious orders of his sergeant.

The story is well told, as it highlights the battles of the young soldier. The intimidation by the sergeant is portrayed effectively, making the young soldier crack and fear for his own safety. It is very sad that the young soldier had to endure such an ordeal.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Kitchen (2019)
Doesn't work for me
11 November 2019
This film tells the story of three women who pick up their husband's job to run the neighbourhood.

There is a bit of comedy, and there is a bit of gangster in the story. However, there is not enough of both of these elements. They try to please two crowds, but end up pleasing neither. Unfortunately, the film doesn't quit work for me.
Wild Rose (2018)
Beautiful songs
11 November 2019
This film tells the story of a talented country singer from Glasgow who is determined to go to Nashville to pursue her dream.

Country music isn't my thing, but the songs in the film are beautiful. Jessie Buckley has a beautiful voice, and she makes the film shine. The story is a engaging as well.
Night Hunter (2018)
One big confusing plot
11 November 2019
This film tells the story of some police force members who investigates a man who kidnapped and imprisoned many women.

The plot starts off fairly promising, but soon derails into confusion. The characters' actions are poorly explained, and I just don't understand what is happening most fo the time. Then comes a big twist, which makes things even more confusing. One of the final scenes on the ice confuses me even more, and I just have no idea what I just watched. This film is a big disappointment, given the number of famous faces involved.
Good Boys (II) (2019)
A relatable coming of age story
11 November 2019
This film tells the story of three best friends who tries hard to navigate tjeir social lives.

It is a good story because it is entertaining, touching and relatable all at the same time. It is like a teen version of "Project X", but is believable as well as funny. It also has deeper emotional elements towards the end, which adds depth to the story. I enjoyed it.
Cold Pursuit (2019)
This isn't for me
11 November 2019
This film tells the story of a father who seeks revenge from the death of his son.

This time, the story gets really unrealistic and I can't get into it. The father just magically be able to kill professionals one after another? There are loads of fight scenes, but they don't come across as intense or captivating. I actually find it rather flat and boring. This film isn't for me.
Detroit (2017)
Even more disturbing than I imagined
9 November 2019
This film tells the story of a night going desperately wrong in Detroit.

I knew the film would be disturbing, so I have put off watching it. And it is really disturbing. I feel so so sorry for the residents of the hotel. No one deserves to be treated like this. This film shows me just how it is to be an ethnic minority in Detroit at the time. The injustice is just shocking. I sympathise with the victims, and really wish that justice could prevail.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I can't believe I liked it
9 November 2019
I didn't think I would like this teenage adventure, but I did. This film is a fun filled adventure, with much positivity, fun and thrill. Scenes are colourful, songs are upbeat, and the film is quite a fun ride. I can't believe I liked it!
It's really funny
9 November 2019
This film tells the story of a group of colleagues in a team building trip that goes horribly wrong.

The story is very funny, and I find myself often giggling. The jokes are funny, and the corporate environment is quite realistic and reflective of the working world. Demi Moore's character offers a good focus for viewers, and her ending is rather satisfying. I enjoyed watching it a lot.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brian Banks (2018)
Unable to fight back the tears
9 November 2019
This film tells the story of a young man who fights to clear his name.

The story is just so engaging, and makes me want to root for Brian's success. To the viewers, there is little doubt that Brian is innocent, which is important to the effectiveness of the film. I am deeply touched by Brian's fight, and how Brian's mother is so very supportive. I deeply respect the legal team's unwavering and generous support as well. It is a truly beautiful from, and I find myself unable to fight back the tears.
Birthmarked (2018)
A unique and enjoyable watch
9 November 2019
This film tells the story of a scientist couple raising three children.

The story is very interesting and very different from other films. The topic is unique, and the result is a thought provoking journey. It is funny and light hearted as well, given the ethical question marks of the situation. It is an enjoyable watch.
Let It Snow (2019)
A beautiful film
8 November 2019
This film tells the story of a group of teenagers who are united because of a snowstorm.

It is a really beautiful story. It is like a teenage version of "Love Actually". The story is engaging, and some scenes cause tears to appear in my eyes. It is full of love, and full of festive positivities. I really enjoyed it.
7 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I feel for him
7 November 2019
This film tells the story of a man who was imprisoned for 21 years. Soon after his release from jail, he finds a baby in a dumpster.

It is a film that offers humanity and hope. The scene in the bank is very touching. The story is somewhat sad because the protagonist deserves better, and I really feel for him. It is a slow film, but it is a film to feel.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.