Motherland: Fort Salem (TV Series 2020–2022) Poster

(2020–2022)

From A Male Reviewer - GREAT SHOW!
Maytr26 March 2020
It's rare that a show exceeds expectations, but MOTHERLAND: FORT SALEM does just that.

• The world is intriguing and original.
  • The story setup is strong (like a HUNGER GAMES meets THE CRAFT).
  • The tone is much more grounded and serious than CW fare (like LEGACIES), which gives the show greater depth and gravitas.
  • The VFX and cinematography are breathtaking.
  • The characters are compelling and have room to grow and evolve both individually and as a team.

In a nutshell, it's an incredibly well executed concept that could easily have been ruined by campiness and absurdity.

It truly saddens me to see other men dismiss this show out of hand because there are no key male parts. Who cares?! Just enjoy the show on its own merits. An absence of male lead roles should not be construed with a hatred of males. And besides, one of the witches has a kind and supportive father which disproves that nonsense.

Pay no attention to the low IMDb rating. If you enjoy watching strong women, intriguing, fantastical and smartly written stories and don't have any bigotry towards the presence of a lesbian character, I HIGHLY recommend this show.
410 out of 531 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a hidden gem
aarongnr2 July 2020
This show is MASSIVLEY underrated.

This was a huge surprise. When I saw the trailer I though, yeah looks cool, then ratings came in and they were ok. So now I went to check again and the show is at 7 but the episodes at high 8s low 9s, so I gave it a try.

And DAMN. This show is very original, has a compelling storyline and surprisingly very decent acting. I haven't seen most of the actors before, but they're doing SUCH a good job. It's easy to overact in a show like this, considering the fantasy premise, but nope!

Also the budget must be damn high, cause the special effects look pretty good!
54 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just started it
brandonbray-3569819 March 2020
And I'm loving it so far. Real male reviewer before anyone tries to say I'm a fake reviewer cuz apparently that's all there ever is when someone likes something that someone else doesn't like. I love anything with witches. And that beginning was nuts and chilling. Can't wait to see more. Just give it a full episode or 2 chance before you knock on it. 2nd review.
136 out of 223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I actually enjoyed this, and don't understand the scathing reviews.
cfe0520821 March 2020
I'm unclear why the scathing reviews. I rather enjoyed it (only the first episode) I don't mind a bit of sci-fi, and likes the different take on witches.

I will continue to watch it, if it remains to this level.

And it's simple, if you don't like sci-fi, don't waste your time.
172 out of 251 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than I expected
randyunseen24 March 2020
I kept seeing this on Netflix. The picture of the show didn't work for me. Being self quarantined, I was bored at 6:00 am. I gave a try. To my delight I was hooked. Great concept for women. But still has enough fighting and great special effects to make it interesting. Great casting job. The chemistry works very well and the girls are easy to look at. The only problem I have is... I like to binge watch shows on Netflix. I don't have the patience to wait for each episode.
67 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fake reviews are boring
Chrispearce225 August 2020
There seems to be lots of reviews with very similar headlines. Amazing, unique etc.

I've watched 4 episodes and it's not bad but not great. The underlying story seems good but it hasn't progressed that much. Too much teenage angst thrown into the story.

Maybe I've forgotten what's it's like to have teenage angst to worry anout.

So far they've worried too much about getting laid and prom night.
125 out of 225 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
love it
evabramer17 April 2020
I don't know why people are so negative about this show. I'm absolutely in love with the plot and the characters. also the fact that it's an entirely new take on witches which I haven't seen before. other than the writing being good and the characters being very interesting, it is also awesome to see a show run by females and have good representation. overal it's definitely a show i'd recommand to everyone who enjoys some supernatural.
134 out of 197 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Delicious and sweet Absurdity
robfollower19 March 2020
Oh what delicious and sweet absurdity. Yes, the whole premise of the storyline is a bit ridiculous ; yet very entertaining. This show. It's so much fun. I am all in to see where this entertaining Testament of girl power FreeForm TV serial is heading. Worth a watch . 8/10
96 out of 173 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doesn't know what to do with itself
allnewsuperfake4 May 2020
The premise is certainly pretty ridiculous, but that has never stopped me from enjoying a fiction. While nothing on the technical side is remarkable, the first episodes were pretty entertaining. Unfortunately I couldn't help but feel like the writers were making up the story as they went along and never had a clear idea where it was going.

At least that would explain why I am suddenly expected to route for the woman who killed thousands of innocents in the first five minutes of the first episode. Or why I am supposed to care about a "love story" where 90 % of the dialogue has been "I can't tell you" or "You don't want to know" so far.

Which is part of a bigger problem: They haven't fleshed out the characters or build a world that is nearly complete enough for the kind of narratives they are going for. It's like watching an orchestra consisting of a panflute and three triangles playing Beethoven's "Ode to joy". You can make out what it's supposed to be, but it seems hollow, disconnected, and since you already have to suspend a lot of disbeliev it just falls apart.
85 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just another teenage flick
the_real_smile3 April 2021
Despite the enormous (!!) amount of 10 star votes and reviewers with "only 1 review", this series is quite disappointing. The pace is very slow, nearly no action, it only revolves about the teenage emotions. Sure, it does bring in something original by doing magic with sound and the effects are decent, but the slow pace and amount of plot holes brings this series down.
82 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Damn I Actually Really Like the Show
huntyrgrant25 April 2020
I had saw a few clips of it and thought nothing of it until I decided to sit down and watch it and I'm really impressed. There were some moments where I was like damn that's super cool. It's interesting take on witches and I like the characters and their development so far. I really hope it gets renewed cause there so many scenes that are breathtaking and the plot is actually really intriguing. I'm not quite sure why it has so much hate though. I heard about how some people don't like how there's little representation of men; however I feel as though I haven't really missed it. Like it's basically a fantasy dystopian show; and like many others there's going to be something different in their world than ours. Gives us something interesting. But that's just my opinion. Hope you have a good day!
173 out of 237 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting Spin on Witches
fraziertyreek19 March 2020
Most of the witch shows you see witches with their covens running around doing whatever they want for their own cause. This show put an interesting spin on it. The witches fight for the USA as a part of the military. The graphics are pretty good, and i'm honestly quite impressed. Excited to see where this show will go in the coming episodes. Really not sure as to why it is rated a 5.2 on here. Deserves atleast a 7-7.5
145 out of 223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant idea poorly executed
Asulgard26 August 2020
This title was so promising, the atmosphere, good cinematography, decent acting, great concept all ruined by the lazy writing and filler teen drama.

This show could have been an epic fantasy show but sadly its so focused on the side plots and the main scenario never picks up. Instead we are left with a boring, never-progressing story.

Maybe season 2 will be better if they get good writers, we'll see but i am not holding my breath.
73 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great if you like stereotypical claptrap
ce_wyatt27 July 2020
I really wanted to like this series. I even watched all of it in the hopes that there would be redeeming qualities. But, alas, I was sorely disappointed. How can an "elite group of powerful witches" be defeated, you ask? Well, according to this series, all it would take are a few catty retorts and side-eye looks and they'd be emotionally and physically destroyed. Cliché plots and writing, as well as some atrocious acting and direction only add to the misery.
88 out of 158 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Totally original
shh-bouche-cousue17 April 2020
MFS is unlike any show I've seen and I consider myself pretty well versed in the area of television shows. This is a totally new spin on witches and I really didn't think Freeform was going to be able to pull it off seeing as they cater to a younger crowd (I'm 36) but they've definitely surprised me in a good way! I find myself very excited for the next episode and wishing it was available to binge. I think the cast was carefully and perfectly chosen! The diversity in this show is seriously awesome! There are women of all races, ages and sizes... that's diversity done right! The plot is something I've never seen done and had I just read the plot prior to actually seeing it I don't think I would have had much hope but somehow it just works! I'm very excited for more episodes to come and hopeful for future seasons.
207 out of 275 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's good
graceayoub10 April 2020
It's unlike any whitch show I've ever seen. The female empowerment is beautiful and the way the witches use their powers is cool and unique. Give this show a chance, it may surprise you.
74 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding,Powerful and Intense! Unique and well written take!
skip-9875616 April 2020
I didnt know quite what to expect when this show premeired..One episode in and i was sold! Superbly acted and well written take on an alternate timeline where witches,instead of being persecuted , had become our allies and a powerful means of defense for our government.. I Love seeing stories like this, where women have come into their power and are a force to be reckoned with! These witches are show as being the defenders of the country , and are given great respect for what they have done, something not always the case with our own brave men and women who have made similiar sacrifices...The shows unique take on the power of the Voice, the tones and vibrations thereof to create ,destroy or protect was fascinating! I believe the woman from stargate has had a part in this shows creation or direction and she has done an Outstanding job! Amanda Tapping.....There Are men in this show but you can clearly see this show is about empowering females and Im all for it..A female president, female commanders, the lead here played Exceptionally well by Lyne Renee...to Perfection!.....The stories are intense, gut wrenching, the magic is beautifully show and stunning to watch and the acting really made me Feel...so much so that many times i found a tear or 2 shedding...The only thing i would change is the Image of the 3 girls screaming used to promote the show..It doesnt lend itself to the character of what its like nor does it convey the seriousness and Quality that this show posseses...From the image, I thought it was going to be some silly cw type show...Boy was I Wrong!! if you like magic done well, along with heart moving and Intense performances and great fight scenes , then give this a try and see for yourself! One of the very best dramas in this genre out there!!
46 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show is so stupid and poorly written
gtenalokes25 May 2020
The basic idea behind this show is interesting, the drama is not that bad And it's visually not bad.

But plot wise it's weak, inconsistent and lazy.. The characters are so inconsistent and mostly idiots.. The "enemy" is literally unknown... The "war" is theoretical.. Fort salem is a joke..

In conclusion, it's a lot of wasted potential, a total waste of time and an insult to our intelligence....
91 out of 189 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ambitious production
thedudebryant23 March 2020
This show is pretty epic for Freeform. It looks like it has potential. Apparently it's pissing off the incel crowd so that's a plus. Witches, the military in a matriarchal society.
41 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
how awful can it get?
Is this some MTV made for dum dum's special? Plot holes and inconsistencies are driving me nuts. A total disregard of actual lore. Let's just make stuff up as we go along, and try to fix it in a future episode. Absolute disregard for obvious detail in the story line. There are so many crap things in the script, I do not even know where to begin. How did this get greenlit int production? The first episode impressed me, and I had actual hope of an interesting show. The further it went, the worse it got. After the 5th ep, I was just forcing myself to watch it, and cringing all the way to the end. The premise of the show is a good idea, the delivery - total disaster.
53 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Go argue somewhere else
dirkvh21 March 2020
This show is NOT about feminism or patriotism. This is a show about "what if". What if witchcraft was real? Indeed governments would want them in their armies. I can even see terrorist witches. I just hope it doesn't get too black and white, we'll see. After just one episode: great start! Hope to see more, I was sorry when the episode ended.
56 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it
tgagovidigal19 March 2020
Amazing magical spin on world history. Also seeing people give low ratings because witchcraft is a sin is, so reflective that still in 2020 we have people that are still living in the middle ages. Give it a try if you like mystic/scy fi theme shows.

Ohh and loving the cast so far.
59 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How tv ruins an idea 107735
TankerToad11 July 2021
Witches that use powers to defend America! Sign me up! Thats the only interesting thing about any of it. If you're a witch...you have no free will....no choices. You also get powered up from sex orgies. Your leader is a meglamaniac narcissist thats sucks other people's life force so she never dies. You know know virtually nothing about the enemy. But it makes sense theyd fight against this tyrannical witch force. Its junk. And all these 9s and 10s are like almost all 9s and 10s hete.
21 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can't wait til next episode!
allipbay20 March 2020
I waited so long for this to premiere and it did NOT disappoint. The opening scene was riveting and the special effects were awesome! Can't wait to see the next episode.
58 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why should you watch Motherland Fort Salem
agent90717 April 2020
Here a few reasons why

1. It has a canon lead lesbian character. You heard that right. The LEAD character is a lesbian

2. It's ALL about girls and sisterhood. There are almost no male characters and the few male characters that exist serve only as a way to further the girl's story lines

3. The show devotes a HUGE amount of time to the WLW relationship. It's like a fanfic come to life. It feeds you beyond your wildest dreams. And yes there will drama but god the road to the drama is amazing

4. The most comprehensive world building you have ever seen. We are talking about a whole alternative history where witches are part of our world. Not just in the USA but globally. Every major global event and war has been affected by witches. The Legendary Witch Adler is right there alongside Washington, Lincoln and other historical figures And witches are not just regular people who do the occasional spell the way we see them in other shows. They have their whole distinct culture. Different holidays, different take on marriage, different take on the world....It's wonderful and they have really done their research on witchcraft

5. Beautiful cinematography. Fort Salem said no to the dark gritty, no to the Vancouver forests that we will know painfully. Everything is bright, beautiful, enchanting

6. It's well written. You can see that there is a real plan and they are not just doing a monster of the week or drama for drama's sake

7. Diverse cast from all over the world. South Africa, Canada, USA. Sweden, Belgium.

So as you can imagine a show centered around women with a lesbian lead is going to struggle with low and bad reviews on IMDB by misogynists. Bitter boys are already trying to drag it down so this show needs as much as support as it can. Please rate it and please watch it now.
48 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.