Mogul Mowgli (2020) Poster

(2020)

Necessities Laid Bare...
Xstal27 December 2020
A film about conflicts, traditions, cultures and expectations as a second generation British Pakistani, having forged a career in music as an up and coming rapper, has his dreams shattered through illness and becomes affected by vivid reflections of his childhood, the competing demands of the old and the new, the curtailing of ambition, all consuming his fight for recovery. Riz Ahmed, once again, is outstanding!!!
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Riz Ahmed rap
JessicaCatrionaGray10 October 2020
Try to watch this and Sound Of Metal in the same day
16 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Riz Ahmed is a star.
joshbarton152 October 2020
When your day to day life revolves around doing something that you have a devout passion for there could be nothing worse than that particular lifestyle being put at risk by something so cruel as an illness of some sort.

In Bassam Tariq's Mogul Mowgli, Riz Ahmed plays Zed, a British-Pakistani rapper just about to start his first world tour before being struck down by an autoimmune disease that threatens to derail his big break.

Tariq delivers a rather intimate tale of a talented man's life that comes crashing down around him all while trying to reconnect with his family back in London. Finding a path in life that has led to a career in music is one that Zed's family don't fully approve of so the two colliding when his illness takes holds leads to a real sense of claustrophobia as Zed struggles to come to terms with the impact it will have on his life.

This is realised in some trippy dream sequences littered throughout that haunt Zed and emphasise the panic he's facing internally with some choppy editing and some very decent rapping. Listen out for Pussy Fried Chicken, a dead cert for the Oscar for Best Original Song for sure.

Riz Ahmed leads the film with an exceptional performance that spans from confident musician about to get his big break to a shell of his former self, vulnerable and frail as the illness sets in and leaves him questioning what future he is set for. This is very much a film for Ahmed to showcase his talents and he truly excels on every level.

It's kicked off LFF for me in a great and surprisingly emotional fashion so make sure you seek this one out upon release.
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A mixd bag
Alexander_Blanchett22 February 2020
A very uncomfortable watch. The way it was directed was not exactly up my alley. While the writing and story itself really worked, and it also caught me what the film represents, I really had some issues with several creative decisions to tell that story. The positive thing is Riz Ahmed! When does Hollywood finally recognize his huge talent and uses it more effectively than supporting roles in blockbusters. This guy is phenomenal in the role of a parkistanic DJ who developes a sickness that not only destroys his career but also his view at life. The film has many things to tell, first its the struggle with that new illness and the constant inner struggle of the leading characters believes and traditions. Ahmed is awesome how he handles this material, also written by him and director Bassam Tariq. Also the performance by Alvy Khan is absolutely noteworthy. Riz Ahmed also proves himself as a very talented rapper. The films structure is generally fine, except for those imaginary scenes that really are often not easy on the eye, because of the sloppy editing, but the way the protagonists faces all his challenges is extremely well portrayed.
11 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A deeply emotional and personal outing
Sir_AmirSyarif9 November 2020
Riz Ahmed takes front and centre stage in 'Mogul Mowgli,' a film he co-wrote with director Bassam Tariq. The movie plays more like a stream of thoughts than a thoughtful discourse about issues of identity and cultural and religious heritage. It also borders on being too strange when it uses disorienting editing, Islamic symbolism, and surreal imagery on such strong subject matters, but never realised to the fullest extent. Still, bolstered by a captivating performance by Ahmed, 'Mogul Mowgli' is a deeply emotional and personal outing that affects in an unexpected way, opening possibilities of vulnerability and the examination of selfhood.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strong individual effort from the star
CinemaSerf7 November 2020
This film is clearly a labour of love for Riz Ahmed and he really delivers well as Brit-Pakistani rapper "Zed" who, on the eve of a major tour, discovers that he has a degenerative disease that inhibits his abilities to stand, walk and perform. What follows is his reconciliation of this predicament - with himself, his family and his audience. The rapping is superb - poignant, political and wide-ranging, though it's also quite aggressive, relentless and uncouth - which can affect the potency if the viewer is unfamiliar with some of the issues to which it refers. The story is fairly weak, the pace meandering and the supporting cast (with the exception of his father "Bashir" (Alyy Khan)) offer very little by way characterisation - it really is all about the star; and that he certainly is here. It isn't always fun to watch - the plot ranges across plenty of contentious issues as well as his sickness, and I got slightly more from it on second watching - the rapping was slightly easier to follow and appreciate second time around. It won't be to everyone's taste - but as a tour de force from Ahmed, it is certainly worth 90 minutes of your time; though perhaps it doesn't need to be in the cinema.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was okay
WankerReviews30 December 2020
A man develops a muscle disorder that deters him from his big break in music.

We follow a rapper whose been trying to get his break for almost 20 years. He finally gets his chance when he suddenly can't move by himself and learns that he has a autoimmune disease.

I didn't think the rapping was all that good. The lyrics were okay but the flow lacked authenticity. It didn't surprise me that he hadn't reached his big break in 15 years. I didn't buy him as someone who genuinely loves hip hop. His other movie ''Sound of Metal was more convincing. His rival RPG has more success simply because he has catchy beats. He's the indian lil pump. Trash lyrics and decent beats while making a mockery of black culture.

Dream sequences were awkward, i didn't like them although it did do a good job illustrating his internal frustration. I know when I'm stressed about life, i dream about my stress and it makes me even more stressed.

Lead's performance was great. Amazing actor he carried the movie well despite the not so great rapping. His performance saved the movie and overall highlight.

My biggest nightmare is something going horribly wrong with my body that prevents me from following my dreams. Best part of the movie was him dealing with his career and panicking and basically his rival stealing his spotlight once again. I wish it had more of these types of scenes and cut short the dream sequences.
5 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
PROFOUND
RinoBortone9123 December 2020
True and profound concepts are the masters in this great little film that is Mogul Mowgli. The poignant struggle against an unsolicited and unanswered evil, a disappointing life, taboos that poison life and too intrusive beliefs. Film of unparalleled charisma, with an effective direction, an impeccable subject and a spectacular Riz Ahmed as always, both in the co-writing of this story and as an actor in constant artistic growth and beyond. Simply spectacular.
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real story movie awesome
mehmoodkhan-535878 January 2021
Awesome movie what a parformance RizAhmed & AllyKhan
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartbreaking Performance From Riz Ahmed
aamirsajad735 January 2021
Unsettling and electrifying; near-nightmarish and absolutely mesmerizing. Loved it.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful
jackwbradley29 January 2021
So cringe I had to turn it off a quarter of the way in.
4 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Refreshingly different
Fielddream2016 January 2021
Great film. Conveys so powerfully the complex stuff behind an Asian family life.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mogul Mowgli
marmar-697806 January 2021
Mogul Mowgli is another good film from Riz Ahmed after Sound of Metal and even if i think that that was better and so was his performance but still here he also give one very strong and fun act that blended with his character in a good way.Story was done in a nicely way but i felt like some rapping scenes were little unconvincing and that dream sequances with fruit head guy were little stupid and they didnt blended with seriousnesss of rest of this film.Mogul Mowgli is a good film but it has some weaker parts
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What did I just watch?
chris-laughren28 February 2021
What a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. The acting is meh but the real problem is the plot. It's all over the place. Eminem was the king of his day, unfortunately, every adolescent kid with a hate on for the system and a microphone seems to find enough money to drag his idea of a great film to MSM and I end up wasting my time watching his lame-ass product. I put an end to this misery at the 30 minute mark.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Gem of a Film
jhwesthead-2494627 February 2021
Put this film on not expecting much, as often is the case. I saw it was about a rapper, so thought my son might like it, but he fell asleep before it even got going, not because of the film ,but because he was up all night. So I watched Mogul Mowgli by myself- great first five minute intro that should hook any honest viewer. The lyrics to the rap are excellent throughout but really set the stage of what is to come early on and come back like a Shakespearean chorus throughout the film in a dreamlike way as Zed, the main character, struggles with his condition. The subject could make for heavy viewing but it doesn't. The acting is excellent. Ahmed is super, as is the man that plays his father, Aly Khan, who appears older in the film than his IMDB pictures. For someone that didn't know a great deal about the historical nature of the story it was enlightening . It is heavy at times but offers enough humour to balance the act, much like a Taika Waititi film. The character of RPG offers some good comic relief and in the end an open door for the main character, Zed...nice touch and poignant illumination on the nature of fame and the nature of roots and creation. Very uplifting film in the end and should be an award winner in my book.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.