Like Dogs (2021) Poster

(2021)

The Kennel Master
nogodnomasters28 October 2021
Lisa (Annabel Barrett) is abducted and placed in a kennel and treated like a dog. She is experiment 5407. They introduce Adam (Ignacyo Matynia) in a nearby cell. He is experiment number 5399 and tells Lisa the food is drugged. They wear shock collars that can be lethal. We discover more about the experiment and the film spirals downward through multiple twists that were not very well handled.

Once things got going I didn't understand why Lisa was abducted and was in a cell alone for several days. The actions of the controllers was too far over the top too soon.

Guide: F-word. Brief sex? No nudity.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like dogs
BandSAboutMovies29 October 2021
Lisa (Annabel Barrett) and Adam (Ignacyo Matynia) wake up in a dog kennel, chained to the walls and yeah, treated and fed like dogs. They have no idea how they got there to why and they start to bond. Adam starts the escape plan and then everything changes.

Doctor Fischer (Katy Dore), George (Ryan Q. Tran) and Erika (Shay Denison) lead the experiments, but George has gone rogue and begun drugging Lisa and Adam, which just may put the entire experiment in jeopardy. You know, the one where you chain people like dogs to the wall with the goal of...what is the goal?

Director and writer Randy Van Dyke has put something interesting together, filled with more than a few twists and some major reveals about our heroine Lisa, who may not be all that heroic and even worse than that first big reveal.

This is a movie packed with no small amount of meanness, roughness and the courage to take everything you know at the beginning and just throw it away. Big choices and made in this one, which is awesome to see.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Warning - Curves Ahead
A_Different_Drummer3 October 2021
Old joke in film class is that the cheapest indie to make is filming two people talking on a park bench. God provides the lighting, the park provides the set, and luck provides the stars. In this one, it looks at first glance like Randy Van Dyke is going for the Guinness Record in cheap indies ... and then the twists come. Taking a page from the Joss Whedon school of genre deconstruction, Van Dyke keeps things moving briskly, making sure the viewer never gets bored. And that, in a nutshell, is the charm of this oddball extreme-low-budget production.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
99.9% analoge...
ops-525354 October 2021
The rest is computed on a video program that you and i can obtain to our pc, to have fun with homevideos etc.

Horror, well a tiny bit, crazy plot, no not at all, gory, couldve taken much more, thrilling, not much, twist surprises, a few small ones , easy piecy junk, dogs, no dogs at all, ideas to your next s/m getogether, yes , its just a matter of vivid fantasy

production isnt that bad, it has good continuity and the mix of light, noise and music helps indeed. But the story is flat ,the sets are utterly minimalistic if not prosaicly androgyne and the acting is a bland experience. But theyve blown away all their does on this project and thats well done for us, takes time to finance the next project.

So tha anarchistic grumpy old man gives a 3 minus.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stupidest movie ever made
rotini-525865 October 2021
Boy...someone really has some spare time on their hands. Movie is garbage.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rating it as it is
Luv2Spooge25 November 2021
It is a low budget indies film and as such, I thought it was done pretty well considering others I've recently watched. This is attributed to both the acting as well as the screenplay. What I hate most in amateur films is overacting and in this film the actors, both major and minor, both seemed to escape that and did a very good convincing job.

The story was reasonable, nothing spectacular, but props on the mid film twist. I didn't see that coming. However, I felt that like a lot of films I've seen recently, it started out strong but ended weak. The beginning really do keep you engaged and wondering how they ended up in that situation, however after the mid film twist, then it seemed to run out of ideas and they were just winging the script.

My suggestion is take a little more time to develop the story, put the twist at the end, not in the middle. You lose your whole build up at mid point, which is why the 2nd half was like a completely different movie. I would give the first half a 7 and the 2nd half a 3, average both together at 5.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good film but amateur dramatics
LLgoatJ26 October 2021
This is about a mysterious experiment where a woman is made to live like a chained up dog. She is then given a kennel mate. There is a big twist and then several more.

It's got a good pace. It keeps moving and there are no real bits that make you feel bored. It's believable and the effects are good for the budget. Its also well written.

It's the acting that lets it down. The actors make it feel like an amateur dramatics production. The acting is okay in most places but occasionally not great.

It's a shame as there is a good film in there but maybe didn't have the budget. It's worth a watch but just makes you feel a bit let down.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Low Quality Production
justinlong-280525 October 2021
Nothing much to say in this review, other than this is a very low-budget project. Painful to watch, a waste of time. Preposterous, to say the least.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Movie of 2021
stunnerman4 October 2021
Forget about all the overhype action movies with Dwayne Johnson,superheroes movies and all those movies that gets high grossing film and the box office. They all do not compare to this movie. This movie deserves an oscar,academy award,best movie,emmy you know what give it al the awards. I know people will comment and give this movie a low score an say bad and all these things but they do not know and should be classically conditioned. Gave this movie a 10 just from watching 9 minutes of it and if you could give it a 100 here i would surely give it a 100 cause as I watch it. It just gets better. I salute the writer,director,producer and everyone in this film and i am not bias one bit.
6 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Embarassing
kirstenholmes-237163 October 2021
This movie is embarassingly bad. At one point, the female lead finds the male lead's acting so ridiculous she has to physically restrain herself from laughing when she's supposed to be facing certain death. They didn't even bother fixing the scene. A smashed in head looks like a piece of flat, white plastic with a crayon face. Whoever made this movie needs to spend his time learning how to make movies instead of on generating fake reviews.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting ideas, terrible acting (except for leads), awful dialogue & pacing
brhjr31 October 2021
This one needed some MAJOR work on the script. Randy should find a writing partner. The lines written for the actors (particularly the "comedy" duo in the control room) were atrocious. Get someone to polish your work and you might be onto something, Randy. Art direction and cinematography are mostly competent and occasionally intriguing. But the pacing and (especially) dialogue needed a LOT of work. This feels like a first draft even though I'm guessing it went through several revisions before becoming the shooting script.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst acting ever
saskinmeczup26 October 2021
I understand that it's a low budget movie and I don't have any problem with that since it has a pretty interesting topic. But I still had to rate 1 because of the main character's (Lisa) acting. No exaggeration, I've never seen a worse acting in my entire life and since she's the main character, it's ruining all of the movie experience. Yeah sure, none of the actors are doing a good job overall but at least they're not doing as bad job as Lisa. Her body language, face expressions, everything is overacting and feels like you're watching a movie from 80's where acting wasn't as develop as the 21st century. I still think the idea is pretty good, even the writing isn't too bad, so it could've been a striking movie with a high-budget production. Shout-out to all writers and whoever came up with the idea and to all of the actors, please take no offense but just a constructive criticism.

Oh and lastly, I'd enjoy the scenario more if it was more wrapped up around the 'experiment' instead of the psychopathic love triangle. Like how the experiment would actually go and what kind of insights we would get from it. That was my expectation before starting the movie.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where is the ethics council of this university?
FritzSchnitzt5 October 2021
Where is that university located? The funny thing is, the head of the university wants to report the main actress to the authorities because she is taking hostage. Never saw something that funny.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feel Like A 90s Housewife
wop-315292 October 2021
The premise of this movie is intriguing enough... like so much typical Horror. You then slowly wade your way through thinking you may have an idea as to where things are going... like so much typical Horror. Then, a twist in Act 2 makes you think they've written themselves into a corner and now you are certain you'll hate this movie... like so much typical Horror.

BAM BAM BAM... you are now pummeled over the head with so many silly and convuluted twists, each one-upping the last. While you accept the premise has been rendered meaningless and the character motives are unearned, you no longer care.

As someone who has never watched a soap opera, I now get the appeal. I actually want this to be a new Horror genre. This is exactly the kind of movie you want to watch and enjoy with friends. However, if you're like me and don't have any, then just act like I'm there with you. Sorry about the heavy cologne. And you're out of toilet paper.
17 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasted Concept
kevinlevinski18 October 2021
I watched this movie because the plot line in the IMDb description seemed interesting and captivating, i mean who would not want to watch a horror movie being based on a severe experiment. Gives you the idea of The Experiment (2010) or The Belko Experiment (2016) but sadly no, do not be lied by the plot it is just an watch-bait.

They do start immediately with the movie ( i am okay with it since it gets right into the topic and not like some other movies which stall before presenting the idea ) but it fails after the first 30 minutes. It is good in the beginning but later you ask yourself what the hell i am watching.

The researchers who are supposed to be qualified are just a bunch of paranoid psychopath and emotional unstable teenagers and their supervisor as well is not competent. Not to mention the administrating guards who are some homeless people who are paid with food instead of money.

The character of George is too sold , to fictive, the guys is not an actor at all. You can see that he is faking all the scenes like he was forced to join this movie. He does not give you any realistic vibe. And of course we do have the main character Lisa some manipulative girl. Her acting is okay but too overdone and to fictive if compared to reality. A girl who has had more than 20 boyfriends and no one of them has understood that she is a killer. It lacks backstory. It seems that the producers are some feminists who want to image women as highly competent trained killers. It sucks and its not worth your time.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Promising storyline but tries to do too much
jaimiebougie4 October 2021
Promising storyline at the start. I think this film would have been much better if they used an adult cast instead of university students, and either had a few less twists or spent more time developing all the twists.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.