Falling Inn Love (2019) Poster

Bad, But I Loved It
theunnamed-1879331 August 2019
Totally sappy, cheesy, silly, but sometimes you need a movie like that, right? This had me laughing at quite a few moments, because it really was sooo sappy. It's kitsch, but you should totally watch it on a night where you are entirely ambivalent to what you watch, and you think to yourself, why not? If my rating was based purely on the enjoyment I received from this movie, it would be much higher.
69 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If artificial intelligence wrote romcoms...
felinebird1 September 2019
This film contains every predictable motif of the romcom genre - it's genuinely as if it's been thrown together through machine intelligence. City girl, country boy, cheerful locals, burgeoning love... wafer thin plot.

I love a cheesy movie, but could see how this one would end purely from the promotional picture before I pressed play. Still watched it all though ;-)
45 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute, feel-good romantic comedy
amandamonson7 September 2019
I loved this movie. I'm a little surprised at all the people who watched it and are leaving such negative reviews. What kind of movie did you think you were watching? No, it's not suspenseful or an Oscar winning film, but that's exactly what you want sometimes. It's fun to watch and makes you feel hopeful. I wish there were more movies like this. If you like Hallmark Christmas movies you will love this movie too. I know they're cheesy when I'm coming into them, but I enjoy them and they make me feel good. This one was cute and I liked the charming setting of New Zealand. Enjoy it and don't be so jaded!
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jake is Australian!!!!!!
brittz_01233 September 2019
His Australian accent is all I can think about. Lame rom com if you're in the mood.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I made an account just to write this review.
juliaduncan-961941 September 2019
Everyone is just so dang critical of this movie, granted is the acting great? No. But is it a typical feel good romantic comedy sort of movie? Yes. It makes you feel warm and fuzzy about love and while you're waiting for them to finally realize they are in love, you can make fun of some of the acting choices that were made.
39 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I created an account so I could detail how horrible this movie is
caylagines30 August 2019
The whole premise does not make sense. Random chick gets a free inn because she clicked on a scam email??? The people in town spend thousands of dollars helping a stranger rebuild an inn just because????? Nothing in this movie makes any sense. The characters are not interesting, the acting is god awful and there's no plot development at all. Don't get me wrong, I love cheesy rom coms but this was just lazy. Half way through the movie, I began wanting the characters to start bird boxing themselves.
122 out of 179 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like a really bad Hallmark movie
hellofaye29 August 2019
Don't get me wrong, I love a good rom com but this really was bad. Such an amazing filming location and we didn't even get to see much of New Zealand. No chemistry between the actors, the acting was diabolical. I gave it two stars, one for beautiful New Zealand and one for the goat (who I think was the best actor of all). Surprised Netflix endorsed this. It's bad - avoid.
78 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet love story
Amani30 August 2019
I have to wonder if the other reviewers have ever watched a romantic comedy. A health relationship takes months to curate not just a weekend. I enjoyed the lead character. The balance of male and female characters without one being dominated over the other.
43 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh come on. It wasn't that bad.
shon_zz5 September 2019
Without comparing this film to every romcom ever made; and this coming from a homegrown kiwi, it was good in its own right. Love the use of the kiwi lingo and hows the film represents kiwi lifestyle in the "wopwops", as we like to say. It was relatable and culturally respectful, which made up for the not-so "bad acting" as everyone likes to point out.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Easy watching film but why have an Aussie as main actor when in NZ!
mattbacon1530 August 2019
Nice easy to watch film, I personally didn't think the acting was as bad as people are making out. It's a nice storyline and as someone who lives in NZ it's fun seeing all the little NZisms brought into the film. If you want something easy to watch then try this out. Just disappointed that they thought they could cast an Aussie as the main actor without getting criticism. At least cast him as an Aussie living in NZ Instead of making out he was a local.
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cringe fest
stnz-0025130 August 2019
Had to join just so I could review this and attempt to save people precious minutes of their lives. Really surprised Netflix even funded this. Probably up there with some of the worst amateur acting I've witnessed. The lead actor attempts at acting are truly cringe worthy and probably as another reviewer quite rightly pointed out the Goat was the best actor. Don't even waste your time, cringy, shocking, predictable, bad script and awful actors (apart from the goat). Give it a wide berth!
58 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
classic rom com
rachelsj29 August 2019
Not the strongest plot, predictable lines.. but not half bad. it was funny, and if you know what you are signing up for - a typical rom com - it isnt a bad watch, especially in terms of netflix originals!
29 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ABSOLUTE CRAP
grahamvr30 August 2019
I have never seen such a movie with so many embarrassing characters in all my life. I was born in NZ, now live in Australia, and never in my entire life have I met so many idiotic people that are shown in this story. I am presuming the 2 female writers are kiwis as what they have written in the past are NZ productions. Netflix should be ashamed to be involved in this trash when there are so many better scripts available. There isn't even very much NZ scenery in it. I am only half way into watching this but I dread what is still to come. Even the 2 lead actors are so pathetic, the male being Australian. The dialogue used by the kiwi characters is a disgrace to NZ people.
46 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It is what you think it is
eehackerson30 August 2019
This movie is escapism at it's best Considerin the modem setting, it gets high marks for not mentioning Trump or the social, cultural and political havoc he's sowing in the States. The friendships are light and easy, from her yoga pal at home to the sweet bonds she forms in New Zealand. The love story is predictable and hits all of the rom-com tropes, like quirky introduction, surprised-to-see-you again meet up, 2 restless souls becoming one and shameless shirtless moment.

I've seen the harsh reviews, but the thing is, this movie is a postcard for a beautiful land and a throw back to a quaint moment in time. It doesn't need grand dialogue or a more original story line. I believe it's supposed to inspire civility, love and a sense of wanderlust. Mission accomplished.

I hope they make sequels because I happily tuned out of life's harsh tones and times and enjoyed spending time with this movie.
18 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hahahahahahahaahaha
bridiemxox30 August 2019
Wouldn't even recommend this movie to my pet bird. I'm not normally one to be so negative about a movie but damn. This really wasn't good. I knew it wouldn't be great just from the title but I was just in the mood for a new film I hadn't seen. Didn't expect it to be THIS bad though. Just pure cringe. So much unnecessary drama that just keeps happening and happening to the point where it's like watching 10 episodes of home and away at the same time 😂
39 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why all the hate?!
gemwhite7 September 2019
People are saying it's like a Hallmark film... Don't see the issue there whatsoever., it's obviously like a Hallmark film before you press play, shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. I loved it, was charming, lovely viewing, happy ending and likeable characters. Definitely put me in the mood for the Christmas rom coms in the next few months :)
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yes, it's cliche... But it's heartwarming.
Carlos-d-aragon1 September 2019
I honestly only started watching this cause my wife is into this kind of sappy stuff. This movie is predictable, by the numbers romcom. With that being said, it's really heartwarming and enjoyable. Even the sappy breakup and makeup montage was quick so they could get back to the story. I'd recommend you give it a chance, you'll be well entertained.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What the hell Netflix?
sineadthomas-9632730 August 2019
Super-successful uber-millennial loses her high-flying tech job and terrible high-flying lawyer boyfriend and leaves behind her high-flying city life, spin classes, yoga, coffee, lyft and contactless-everything for life in the sticks in New Zealand. God-awful acting, God-awful story, patronising and offensive to normal millennials and New Zealanders everywhere.
31 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst movie in years!
anette_carle3 September 2019
The story seems written by a 12-year old, with every klichee in the book. To top that, the leading female has very poor acting skills! The nice views from NZ is the only forgiving part of this movie, hence the grade 2.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perhaps the worst move I have ever seen
Short_and_to_the_point30 August 2019
I had to create an account for the sole reason of critiquing this movie. Calling it a movie even hurt. Amateur film, perhaps. The acting is poor. The storyline is poor. New Zealander's are made to seem like backwards idiots. I'm not a New Zealander and I felt terrible for the whole country by the way they were portrayed. The way the main character acts towards practically everyone is absolutely cringeworthy. I don't want to be "that guy" but Jeffery (who I loved in 'Unreal') cannot act the 'straight macho man' he was intended to act. I'm sorry, but it just didn't happen. Christina Milian... just no. Stick to singing. It's meant to be a feel-good romance. There were no good feelings towards this. Not one.
33 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable and sweet
sgrayson-347-87256331 August 2019
It's a cute story despite being predictable, but honestly who wants unpredictable in a sweet simple romantic story. The leads are beautiful, New Zealand looked gorgeous, and the goat was amusing (though having raised goats, all those flowers in the final scene would not have survived a roaming goat).
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Formulaic, but endearing
JaeBianca9 September 2019
I don't think anyone tunes into made-for-TV rom-coms for their originality. They tune in for the actors and their chemistry. When a pair have chemistry, one stops paying attention to the script holes. The beginning of Falling Inn Love was kind of weak, but once Cristina Milian and Alex Demos started interacting, I found them immensely watchable and charming. The supporting actors all fulfilled their duties solidly and with enthusiasm. Whoever claimed that there was barely any NZ scenery must have stopped watching the movie early on, because I saw dozens of gorgeous scenes on half a dozen different terrains all filmed in NZ. They also did a solid job of peppering in bits of Anglo & Maori Kiwi culture.
Heartwarming
hayleyparkinson77 September 2019
We loved this. Watched it with my 6yr old. Was feeling a bit cranky before but all happy & chilled after. A good wholesome film. Yes it's cheesy, but that's what we signed up for & it's also funny! Loved the goat
Relaxing rom com
whitedog-37-2823925 September 2019
Easy to watch rom com suitable for the family . Christina Milian & Adam Demos performed really well together with a relatable onscreen performance mixed with predictable humour and romantic dialogue. Mix in a beautiful little town with stunning scenery and a funny goat makes it easy watching for the whole family . Few little cute life lessons thrown in and bang ! Great film .
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A place where everyone knows your name...
delores967345 September 2019
Come on you guys with the low ratings -- don't be so critical and snobbish. Enjoy the sweet love story and beautiful scenery of New Zealand. The village and the residents were charming. Makes you want to live there. So what if it was somewhat predictable. The lead couple was attractive and made you root for them. The story was simple, entertaining, and satisfying, with a happy ending. As for the film overall, I found it refreshing because there was no swearing and vulgarity.